New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Help me qo quickly determine this characters alignment

Hello, its me again!

We will have another "lets see if he likes RPG`s Player this weekend (Sunday to be precise), who aside from a few novels has no previous D&D Knowledge.

We already built his Character with him (Sorcerer, helped with Spell Selection) but he cant decide which Alignment to be. As its going to be only 2 to 3 sessions where he is sure to be in the group, "wait and see then enter alignment" also isnt an option.

So I`ll just ask the swarm of the Playground for a consensus.

Backstory: he comes from very rich roots, never lacked for anything material and HIGHLY values that to stay that way. He was taught however, that it is the duty of the "Better" People to "teach" their lessers how to become better as well, and fastidiously keeps to that teaching.
    Now WHAT he teaches is a bit... more variable. Usually its a combination of clear materialism, relatively noble self interest and a clear duty to obey ones betters and fulfill ones tasks, but from time to time he puts in some more personal tendencies (like his interest for art making it as a "keep artists and art alive, its more important than a few peasents") or good Spirits ("Who cares about that village if it doesnt have a still?").
    Overall though the core tenets dont change.

Actionwise he is very selfish unless he has promised otherwise, but usually does in no way enjoy others suffering (sadly he also rarely NOTICES unless prodded that his actions may make others suffer ^^).

Exception: if one manages to push enough of his buttons he will flay them alive and laugh while doing so, even if he has to rationalize it later on.
    And he hates Dwarves with a Vengeance.

When asked what it would take for him to sacrifice himself to prevent it, he said "nothing short of the death of all I love, or the end of the world".

Myself I`m already pretty sure where I woud put him, but lets make it so: I will count all votes until saturday evening, and follow the majority. :)

Thanks in advance.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help me qo quickly determine this characters alignment

Most likely LN. Throughout his upbringing society's systems served him, and he wants to keep them in place. He's morally ambiguous, but organized.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing there strikes me as outright evil nor good.

With his emphasis on doing what the superiors say as opposed to individual interest, is more lawful than chaotic

Lawful neutral to me, and pretty solidly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

True Neutral.

Theres a book somewhere that talks about tendencies, like half alignments. I'd peg him as TN with LE tendencies

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Lawful Neutral.
    Keeps promises, feels the need to justify actions, values a rigid class structure.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

That's a textbook LN.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    if one manages to push enough of his buttons he will flay them alive and laugh while doing so, even if he has to rationalize it later on.
    If he routinely flays Dwarves alive for "pushing his buttons" he could quite easily be Evil.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If he routinely flays Dwarves alive for "pushing his buttons" he could quite easily be Evil.
    Well, lets put it this way: Ordinary people need to push 2 or more of his buttons HARD.

A Dwarf needs to push one of them "normally".

But he does not go out of his way to kill (or flay) dwarves. At most he does so to insutl them and if they want something he can deny them to do so.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

He kills them... to insult them?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

He does not go out of his way to kill them.

He DOES go out of his way to insult them/Hinder them.

Clearer now? ^^

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

sounds NE or maybe LE to me. Though nearish the border to neutral on the good/evil scale.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sounds CE or NE to me. Yeah he's got some Lawful tendencies too but I don't think they outweigh anything else. That extreme racism against dwarves and the capacity to flay ANYONE alive regardless of supposed justifications, screams Evil to me. No Good and almost no Neutral (on the good-evil axis) person would resort to something that cruel and gruesome even against awful people.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

LE I think. Values a society and thinks everyone should have their place, keeps his word, flays dwarves.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

He prioritizes his own comforts and prejudices, he values order and 'everyone in their place' from a position where he has always been near the top of the hierarchy, he's capable of horrible cruelty (and reveling in that cruelty) when people "push his buttons."

He's definitely, unquestionably Evil, probably Lawful Evil but a deeper dive into his philosophy could justify an NE.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Help me qo quickly determine this characters alignment

With what you wrote.

LAWFUL (all caps for a reason)neutral

Since he is new keep an eye on actions.

Hated of dwarfs who cares. I like to run 1/2 orcs elves and dwarfs hate me on sight. They just do not attack on site if I am trouble they may laugh first wait then after I am no longer standing help. May even stop the bleeding. Place a random single dwarf in trouble somewhere see what his reaction is. Level dependent maybe crocodile dwarf is low level monk.

Based on what you wrote. LAWFUL nuetral.

Offer him a contract killing for a dwarf that gambling and defaults on paying. Contract to kill that would be lawful evil test.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Definitly Lawful, some evil tendencies, the question is: does he act upon them? If not, LN, if he does LE, on the border to LN - but depending on actions on the table it can change in either direction, even to Good - if he learns to value more things, and to controll his rage.

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Closed Account

I'm not sure if he's Lawful or not.
    But I'm 100% sure that if he really flayed alive even one sentient while laughing, then he's Evil and quite clearly so.

If it was an hyperbole and the worst he does is throwing insults, he's Neutral.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

He's completely LN.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Exception: if one manages to push enough of his buttons he will flay them alive and laugh while doing so, even if he has to rationalize it later on.
    All of you voting Neutral really need to reread this. This is so very, very not neutral.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would like to change my vote.

Lawful Evil.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see much alignment based. So TN or LN. However if he would kill a person without a great reason other than the personal reasons listed then LE. Maybe NE. Keep in mind this isn't cartoon villain evil, and he could still function well in the group up until the point where his ideals conflict with the party's goals. Even then he might be smart enough to set aside his interests enough to get along with the group, or do some bad things in secret via notes passed to the DM. Doing terrible things without even giving the party and/or law authorities at least a poor excuse to prevent retaliation is bad form though. No one would actually do this. You at least hold up appearances to get past others if you want to survive long as LE.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2019-05-24 at 09:47 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Help me qo quickly determine this characters alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    All of you voting Neutral really need to reread this. This is so very, very not neutral.
    What filter are you using?

If we are in the modern world then he is evil.

If we filter in a world where you are farmers and a man come in takes the taxes in the form of your bed. This man stands up for you. The collection agent say a you are a nobody not a noble. This noble had every right to kill for the insult.

Our morality has changed with the centuries life is less cheap. But we can quickly return to kill the other person over small breakdowns in social order. Which if you think about it we would then during a riot not call msny evil.

Which is why I say Nuetral and lawful. He dispersed justice because he could.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Conradine View Post
    I'm not sure if he's Lawful or not.
    But I'm 100% sure that if he really flayed alive even one sentient while laughing, then he's Evil and quite clearly so.

If it was an hyperbole and the worst he does is throwing insults, he's Neutral.
    Have to agree with this, it would take a bit more observation to tell for sure. Similarly, on the Lawful-Chaotic scale, I have to ask if he actually adheres to some structure of behavior or set of rules? Or does he merely pay lip-service to it and make excuses for doing what he wants? The former is Lawful, the latter is Chaotic, and I couldn't really tell which he is from your brief description. My initial thought was CE, but then I read closer and wondered if it was LN, but can't really tell without the above observations.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lawful Evil if his work as an adventurer does not work for the greater good (stopping villains and slaying demons and such).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    If we filter in a world where you are farmers and a man come in takes the taxes in the form of your bed. This man stands up for you. The collection agent say a you are a nobody not a noble. This noble had every right to kill for the insult.
    Killing someone over an insult is Evil in D&D 3.5.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I would go LE, but on a 3 axis system i would say NLE

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    What filter are you using?
    The D&D one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 SRD
    He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises.
    That's from the paragraph on Lawful Evil. I was about to bold the revelant portions, but oh wait, the entire thing exactly describes this guy.
    Which is why I say Nuetral and lawful. He dispersed justice because he could.
    Flaying people for annoying you is not justice, but we don't have to stop there. Not caring enough about other people to notice that you're causing them to suffer? Not caring about the lives and livelihoods about others, except in how it serves your personal desires and pleasures? Defaulting to 'very selfish' unless you're paid to be otherwise?

Dude is textbook evil in the everyday, banal, minor-aristocrat-the-players-are-happy-to-see-humiliated-at-the-end kind of way.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Love the feedback so far!

The thread is open until around 8pm GMT today, then I will collect the consensus.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Closed Account

Sadistik kill is Evil capital letters. The kind of Evil that done even once damn you to Baator ( unspeakable torture + murder for pleasure = damnation ).

A quick, violent manslaughter in a fit of rage followed by some remorse can still be ( dark grey ) Neutral.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Depending on the buttons that needed to be pressed to turn him berserk, he's either LN tending to Evil, or LE. However, I'd tell this new player that he's LN, because if you tell him he's LE there's a chance he'll either consider it a criticism of sorts on his backstory, or a as permission to play up the characteristics of his character that would be more disruptive to the group.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays