New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Its probably too small for anyone but half grown kids to fit through.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #902
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

About 20 years go, when I still lived with my parents, one time in the dead of night a truck pulled up on the road beside the house and stole the decorative wooden lattice off the top of the garden fence. Like, 8 or 9 sheets, each some 6ft wide by 3ft tall, all in one night. They left the fence itself, and as far as we know they never, ever came back to try and break into the house or garage where we kept actual things of value or use.

"Why would kids break in and steal manufacturing/engineering equipment?" doesn't even need answering in my mind, even before you make up a scenario for adult burglars using kids/small teens to sneak in and open the door from the inside a la Oliver Twist.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-30 at 04:42 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

They were still pretty safe I would say. The window wasn't open - it just wasn't locked.

This means that to get robbed would require a bunch of burglars with a kid capable of parkouring up to a window 8 feet up...who are also gambling that said window is unlocked.

That's a pretty unlikely scenario compared to leaving a ground floor window unlocked and someone just walking by and testing the window (or a door handle).

Locking it is still sensible, of course.

4. - Top - End - #904

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    About 20 years go, when I still lived with my parents, one time in the dead of night a truck pulled up on the road beside the house and stole the decorative wooden lattice off the top of the garden fence. Like, 8 or 9 sheets, each some 6ft wide by 3ft tall, all in one night. They left the fence itself, and as far as we know they never, ever came back to try and break into the house or garage where we kept actual things of value or use.
    One time I made a sort of small bench at the edge of the driveway to my house, to get somewhere to sit when waiting for my friends. It was literally just two planks nailed on two logs (of uneven lengths, since the ground where it was placed isn't flat). It was stolen during the night two days after.

Who the heck would want to steal such a low-effort thing still puzzles me. It wasn't beautiful, it wasn't precious, it wasn't especially comfortable...

Some years later we found the pole on which the mailbox is placed half-sawed. People had tried to steal an old rusty mailbox with a wasp's nest inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Is everyone else still seeing the 10/30/19 comic, and if so, was there a notice about late uploads?

6. - Top - End - #906

It updated later than usual, but it did update.

30 was this: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4123
    Today is this: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4124
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #907

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    They were still pretty safe I would say. The window wasn't open - it just wasn't locked.

This means that to get robbed would require a bunch of burglars with a kid capable of parkouring up to a window 8 feet up...who are also gambling that said window is unlocked.

That's a pretty unlikely scenario compared to leaving a ground floor window unlocked and someone just walking by and testing the window (or a door handle).

Locking it is still sensible, of course.
    Don't they have an alarm system? I understand that they have a robosoldier with robosenses who could robopunch the intruders and recover the stolen robogoods, but IIRC she isn't there at night. Couldn't a thief just break in?

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Some years later we found the pole on which the mailbox is placed half-sawed. People had tried to steal an old rusty mailbox with a wasp's nest inside.
    Spoiler: I can imagine how well that went...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Is everyone else still seeing the 10/30/19 comic, and if so, was there a notice about late uploads?
    I think I'm seeing today's.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Don't they have an alarm system? I understand that they have a robosoldier with robosenses who could robopunch the intruders and recover the stolen robogoods, but IIRC she isn't there at night. Couldn't a thief just break in?
    Possible that Sam has the alarm codes but not the keys. I've been in that situation before for various reasons, all of which kind of made sense at the time.

I wouldn't trust Sam with alarm codes, though. While she is never malicious, she is often Sam.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I think I'm seeing today's.
    I am too now, but when I asked, it still looked like the previous one. Strange.

It would be vaguely unrealistic for a business (where everyone leaves for the night) not to have an alarm, but perhaps Jeph is telegraphing how much of a shoestring-budget amateur affair this is. Even though Bubbles is probably the most adult and generally responsible of the main cast, running a business is clearly just as new and unfamiliar to her as it is for Faye.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    And if you have a mechanics' workshop, a place where you're going to be soldering things, mixing chemicals, running engines, and doing a lot of other fume-generating activities, you want good ventilation.
    I somehoe misread "fume-generating activities" as "fun-generating activities"

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    I somehoe misread "fume-generating activities" as "fun-generating activities"
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0094.html
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #913

Okay..

I guess if the artist is actually raking real money, she might be requested to pay a part of the rent?

They should really showcase their metalwork skills to al these client robots.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I was thinking that very thing. This is when Faye transitions from being a struggling small business owner to being a landlady.

Edit: Of course, the main problem is that there's nothing really stopping Sam from moving to a different venue. As far as we've seen, her only resource is Sharpies of various colors and all she needs is a reasonably comfortable room of no particular size in which to draw. If Faye were to ask for rent, Sam could very easily move to just about any other location in town and ply her trade there.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2019-11-01 at 02:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well she's an intern at the moment, and the money she gets for Sprays is basically her payment for it: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4077

It's just a slow day, there's been other days where Sam was the one running around town.

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Well she's an intern at the moment, and the money she gets for Sprays is basically her payment for it: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4077

It's just a slow day, there's been other days where Sam was the one running around town.

That's fair.

They should still try to find a way to synergises their businesses

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

There's Calder stuff in several museums and parks around my region... funny.

The most iconic and historical would be La Grande Vitesse:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-11-04 at 11:32 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    They should still try to find a way to synergises their businesses
    I'm not disagreeing. Maybe once the internship is over they can start on some more formalized agreement.

There is definitely a long-term benefit for them in it. If those robots getting the Sprays are ever in need of repair work, their first address is likely going to be Union Robotics. And they'll tell others about it. It's essentially free advertisement.

Yes, I know that sounds a lot like "do it for free, for the exposure" but its not really. It's not Faye's or Bubble's work that's done free here. It's giving Sam a safe place to work from, and considering Sam doesn't take up a lot of space for her work, or need expensive materials or tools, I think its a good investment.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Okay..

I guess if the artist is actually raking real money, she might be requested to pay a part of the rent?

They should really showcase their metalwork skills to al these client robots.
    Yup. They might not be proud of the giant metal penis they're making (already made?) for Pintsize, but it suggests a line of business doing elective body-mods and other cosmetic work (changing out dermal coverings, repainting/decal-ing metal-shelled bots, crafting custom tool-attachments or just differently designed limbs?) for robots that might be both more lucrative and more reliable business than hoping for repair work to continue literally falling into them. Just need to market it, and word of mouth among the AI community already has them coming there for Sam to do her sprays.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    There's Calder stuff in several museums and parks around my region... funny.

The most iconic and historical would be La Grande Vitesse:

Spoiler
    Show

I kind of got the impression that every 'modern' art museum in America had a Calder piece. About 20 years ago I took an improv comedy class on a lark. Greatest laugh I got was during a game called 'unlikely superheroes' where me and another student were 'Art Man and Docent' (an audience suggestion). When we had to rush out and stop the bad guys, I said, 'Quick, to the Caldermobile!' <cue us pantomiming hanging from large art installation>. Not sure if it they were 'that's funny' laughs or 'so bad it's admirable' laughs, but it was memorable.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-11-04 at 03:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I kind of got the impression that every 'modern' art museum in America had a Calder piece. About 20 years ago I took an improv comedy class on a lark. Greatest laugh I got was during a game called 'unlikely superheroes' where me and another student were 'Art Man and Docent' (an audience suggestion). When we had to rush out and stop the bad guys, I said, 'Quick, to the Caldermobile!' <cue us pantomiming hanging from large art installation>. Not sure if it they were 'that's funny' laughs or 'so bad it's admirable' laughs, but it was memorable.
    That actually is funny -- I can see the improv group I go see on a regular basis doing something like that.

But maybe that's because I know a bit about Calder's work... I'm betting a lot of readers had to look up "Calder" to really get today's strip.

Now I want to see a bot casually walking out of the shop in the background of a future strip, wearing a hat that looks like La Grande Vitesse.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-11-04 at 03:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Yup. They might not be proud of the giant metal penis they're making (already made?) for Pintsize, but it suggests a line of business doing elective body-mods and other cosmetic work (changing out dermal coverings, repainting/decal-ing metal-shelled bots, crafting custom tool-attachments or just differently designed limbs?) for robots that might be both more lucrative and more reliable business than hoping for repair work to continue literally falling into them. Just need to market it, and word of mouth among the AI community already has them coming there for Sam to do her sprays.
    If there are enough AIs that the fraction of them interested in 'sprays' is sufficient to keep Sam busy then repair work ought to be abundant. The problem seems to be that Jeph has established the average QC AI body as remarkably, even unreasonably, durable. With the noted exception of May none of the other embodied AIs appears to need any significant regular maintenance. Roko's ankle damage accumulated over months or even years, as did the degradation Clinton's hand and both were relatively minor repairs. Momo has never appeared to need any significant repairs at all (to say nothing of Pintsize who appears to be almost complete indestructible). Unless the bots are deliberately damaging themselves like they did in the fighting ring they just don't seem to need a lot of repairs. There's no equivalent of the 'change your car's oil every 3000 miles' to provide Faye and Bubbles with a bread and butter option.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    If there are enough AIs that the fraction of them interested in 'sprays' is sufficient to keep Sam busy then repair work ought to be abundant. The problem seems to be that Jeph has established the average QC AI body as remarkably, even unreasonably, durable. With the noted exception of May none of the other embodied AIs appears to need any significant regular maintenance. Roko's ankle damage accumulated over months or even years, as did the degradation Clinton's hand and both were relatively minor repairs. Momo has never appeared to need any significant repairs at all (to say nothing of Pintsize who appears to be almost complete indestructible). Unless the bots are deliberately damaging themselves like they did in the fighting ring they just don't seem to need a lot of repairs. There's no equivalent of the 'change your car's oil every 3000 miles' to provide Faye and Bubbles with a bread and butter option.
    That was my thought as well, tbh. Robotic bodies seem to only require maintenance in an exceptional circumstance, for whatever reason.

24. - Top - End - #924

I personally wouldn't try to look too much into Sam's business model. It is the sort of thing that only works because the author said so. Zero preparation, zero equipment, zero effort, sudden success.

There are two options: maybe no one ever thought of using a sharpie on a bot. But, by now, I would expect indiebots to start drawing on each other as a pastime, rather than paying for a someone to do it. Or maybe Sam for some odd reason draws in a way that is exceptionally appealing to robots (which would still face competition and shifts in fashion, unless it's hard-wired).

25. - Top - End - #925
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    That was my thought as well, tbh. Robotic bodies seem to only require maintenance in an exceptional circumstance, for whatever reason.
    I wouldn't read too much into that.
    It's just not particularly interesting, so it wouldn't be focused on. Until it is.

Just like, how none of the main characters have had regular doctor/dentist/optometrist visits.
    (Normally I'd use going to the bathroom, but I feel like a unusually large portion of this comic has happened in one.)

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

The easy assumption is that basic maintenace is something that AnthroPCs habitually take care of themselves, at least at the "oil and tire change" equivalent levels. This would explain why the only time we see repairs needed is on units that go through uncommon levels of strain.

27. - Top - End - #927

I seem to remember Pintsize maintenance from the early strips, with some problems being software, but I think that there was some hardware ones, too.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

I seem to remember Pintsize maintenance from the early strips, with some problems being software, but I think that there was some hardware ones, too.
    Pintsize somewhat regularly gets/got himself hit by other characters/thrown into walls/frozen as humorous comeuppance for his behavior; he presumably has more intense maintenance needs than bots that don't find amusement in provoking other people into attacking them.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

I count "had to be cleaned because he filled himself with cake batter" and "had head caved in" as "uncommon levels of strain".

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

Having taught a translation of the Old English Judith this semester, I'm happy to see Gentileschi's painting referenced today.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2019-11-05 at 12:50 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.