New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1166 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by simanthropy View Post
    How has no-one talked about Sigdi's axe yet? It very much reappeared in her hand after she very much lost it down the pit.

Is it a weapon of legacy?
    Where do you see her axe in her hand after she dropped it?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Durkon, you're trying to talk a vampire out of something because it's unfair to kill someone? That's ... not likely to work.

The argument he should use is, "Yer Master's na usin' it any more. Finders keepers!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Where do you see her axe in her hand after she dropped it?
    Last two panels she's in.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Looks like Durkon's hammer has some healing mojo.

RIP Kandro
    I think he’s casting with his shield-hand.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

this strip is fantastic and why i love dwarves lol

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Hel and the vampire thought they needed something that could hold up a high-level adventuring party.
    And considering the 'nobody but dwarves allowed' barrier, they thought the only one they really needed to worry about was Durkon.
    Durkon just waltzed past the nightcrawler. It had one job and failed miserably at it.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Bringing in the biggest, nastiest thing you can get your hands on makes sense in that situation. Multiple weaker vampires (or just multiple lesser critters provided through the Gate) would be the play if you think you need to counter multiple weaker opponents - as mean as the nightcrawler is, outside of some limited spell-like abilities it can only be in one place at a time and attack one foe at a time (and note that it was ordered to 'defend this platform area thing', so it actually needed to be able to take some initiative to decide that actually meant 'don't let anybody through the orange barrier.') Basically Hel had no idea Durkon's extended clan would be showing up.
    -It's dwarf country, dwarf reinforcements are expected.
    -I'm not sure if "defend this platform" includes "use only your soft squishy tongue to grab invaders instead of clamping them between your sharp hard teeth". The Nightcrawler isn't even supposed to have a tongue attack, just a bite with poison included in, it's said poisonous bite that's used to grab victims before swallowing, so why the heck is the comic's nightcrawler showing off a prehensile tongue that can be easily axed?
    -Comic's nightcrawler so puny the old dwarf at death's door doesn't even bother holding his axe with both hands for the extra damage and still heavily wounds it. Feels like he could've actually solo'd the comic nightcrawler, but then would've been left without a way for an honorable death, probably was feeling an heart attack coming.
    -Nightcrawlers are supposed to be able to summon minions of their own, and since this one was called there's no reason it can't get a bunch of extra nasty ethereal undead with draining attacks to hold the line. Oh wait, clearly it traded the undead summoning for a fancy prehensile tongue that can be easily axed. Really good decision there, yessir.

The vampire spawn actually posed a threat to the veteran OoTS, they even had to barricade themselves inside a forcecage to buy time.

But the supposed strongest monster Hel has available struggles to score a single kill among a bunch of civilian dwarves.

And still lets Durkon calmly walk by.

The comic nightcrawler sucks against both mooks and high-level protagonist with his fancy useless prehensile tongue.

For extra irony, vampires can trap the souls of their victims increasing Hel's power, while the comic's failcrawler can only grant them honorable death if they're too old and close to a dishonorable end, meaning the failcrawler is actually helping souls escape from Hel's grasp!
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-06-07 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Way to show the horrible implications of the Bet to everyone, Giant.

I can't imagine how much beer Thor must have had in his system to go along with this incredibly Evil plan...

Really feel sorry for the Dwarves now.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Durkon, you're trying to talk a vampire out of something because it's unfair to kill someone? That's ... not likely to work.

The argument he should use is, "Yer Master's na usin' it any more. Finders keepers!"
    I mean, from a certain perspective, his masteris still using it, considering that Durkon*'s last moments of unlife were spent as a carbon copy of Durkon.

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    I can't imagine how much beer Thor must have had in his system to go along with this incredibly Evil plan...
    Or how Loki got him to stick with it once he sobered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Durkon's "literally" felt jarring to me. An ill-fitting case of modern Internet slang (and I find today's overuse of the word "literally" annoying).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    That was at least as hard to understand as authentic frontier gibberish.
    Maybe Kandro's last name is Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    What about the black magic cloud when Kandro is devoured? Did the worm consume his soul too?
    Kind of. Nightcrawlers can level drain someone they swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    Well, one time when somebody tricked Thor into drinking from the ocean he drank so much new islands were exposed. Which means he can drink a lot of beer (or ale, or mead, or whisky, or...)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Somehow I expect Kandro to not actually be dead and cut his way out of the Nightcrawler.

Who's with me on that?

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Linneris View Post
    Durkon's "literally" felt jarring to me. An ill-fitting case of modern Internet slang (and I find today's overuse of the word "literally" annoying).
    "Literally" isn't slang, unless you're saying you think Durkon can actually think of things less fair than what he said.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Aww, poor Kandro.

Also, this strip is the probably the one I’ve had to reread the most before understanding it.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

I believe the proper word is "WITNESSED!"?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Hmmm... I just noticed something. Why aren't the mesmerized guards responding? Wouldn't they normally be defending the vampires that charmed them?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Hmmm... I just noticed something. Why aren't the mesmerized guards responding? Wouldn't they normally be defending the vampires that charmed them?
    Not unless they are ordered to. As long as Gonthor doesn't tell them to start fighting, they'll stay where they are and won't do anything unless their own lives are in danger.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

honestly wish there was a direct link to the discussion thread at the bottom of each comic. though i guess that might encourage necroing the threads of older comics, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Somehow I expect Kandro to not actually be dead and cut his way out of the Nightcrawler.

Who's with me on that?
    i feel like this is possible. cut his way out for MAXIMUM DAMAGE! but he's also constantly being level drained, so i don't know how long he'd last. or if the axe was swallowed too.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    So let's recheck...

Freshly created vampires spawn:
    -Tear their way through a dwarf fortress like a hot knife through butter.

Strongest non-unique monster that Hel can gate to her followers:
    -Has the defensive advantage and earth elemental summon support yet takes several comics to kill a single old dwarf that was already at death's door and so wanted to get killed in battle for an honorable end before a "dishonorable" demise in the bed.

Clearly they shouldn't have bothered with the deathcrawler and just gated a bunch of extra vampires.
    Since this council isn't the normal dwarven government, the guards that were already there were probably mostly low level.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    "Okay, I didn't understand any of what you were saying, but I feel pretty insulted by"?

Oh, and for reference, "knobby", "roaster", "tadger", "bawbags", "haf-pished", "skelp", "geggie" and "dobber" all mean precisely what you think they do.

"Bairn" means child.
    Not all of them violate the forum rules when translated. "Geggie" means mouth. "Roaster" is someone who is making a fool of themselves. "Haf-pished" is partially intoxicated. Skelp is to hit. I'll leave the rest alone.
    Last edited by knag; 2019-06-07 at 12:04 PM. Reason: skelp
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Does Kandro's death at the hand of a summon spawned by a Priest of Hel count for the free drink upgrade in Valhalla?
    Even in Winter, the cold isn’t always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

21. - Top - End - #81

Also, Hel doesn't have a bunch of extra vampires; every vampire she has was created by another vampire draining someone fifth level or above.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Literally" isn't slang, unless you're saying you think Durkon can actually think of things less fair than what he said.
    Yeah, Durkon isn't the type to use a word like literally anything less than.. well, literally.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    I love this half-confused, half-terrified face Haley made at the end
    i just noticed that. i've always loved the ( o_o ) face in this comic as it was!
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarthalion View Post
    Dwarves are weird.
    Repeating this because it is incredibly true.

Durkon's fight with the Ex-Exarch is gonna be epic. And I bet he'll have the same opinion of Uncle Kandro's death as well.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Frankly I think that speaks more to the vigor and fight the old dwarf still had in him then it does to the deathworm's failures. At the very least the deathworm has been keeping the rest of the OotS busy, which is more than a dozen vampire spawn could do.
    Exactly. A dozen vampire spawn can sneak up and overwhelm a honor guard that has fallen to such a level of unimportance as to not warrant individual names, but they will fall like wheat before the Order. The worm is at least a large enough bag of hit points to survive four rounds. That this old dwarf is tough enough to take two full rounds to annihilate does not mean the worm is weak, it means it is not too much of a "glass cannon" for this tactical role.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfey View Post
    Does Kandro's death at the hand of a summon spawned by a Priest of Hel count for the free drink upgrade in Valhalla?
    Recently killed by vampire dwarves will probably buy him a couple rounds, to hear how things are panning out.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Nightcrawlers are supposed to be able to summon minions of their own, and since this one was called there's no reason it can't get a bunch of extra nasty ethereal undead with draining attacks to hold the line.
    Since they take up to 10 rounds to arrive after being summoned, I think it's a little bit early to rule out that it hasn't done so.

Though frankly, the nightcrawler's abilities are a mess; like the creature was naively ported from an earlier edition of D&D rather than actually converted. How many combats actually last more than five rounds, especially at the nightcrawler's CR 18? Come to think of it...who decided the most challenging undead creature in the original monster manual should be a giant worm?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #88

Somebody who likes to make 'wormfood' jokes?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edric O View Post
    So this is the cultural result of having weird rules for the afterlife combined with absolute certainty about the afterlife (and the accuracy of those rules).
    I wonder if this implies that challenging someone to a fight and killing them is perfectly legal in most dwarven states. I could see honor duels being allowed, even to the death, with a loose need for a good justification.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, is the female bard wearing blue dead, or did she fall onto the other (unbroken) half of the bridge.

Also, given that she and the other bard are both wearing blue, both have brown hair, and both seem to have wooly/curly hair, I'm going to assume that they are siblings, especially as Sigdi refers to them as "you kids".

Additionally, does falling to your death in battle count as honorable?