New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default "A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make." - Gary Gygax

To all Dungeon Masters,

Is this quote true? How often do you fudge rolls and for what reasons?
    I'm Bringing Shaky Back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to ben101 for the super-sexy avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble
    SexyOchreJelly - I want to get wobbly with your avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: "A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make." - Gary Gygax

It's not true. I almost always use dice where they fall.

Which is to say, yes, I do fudge. One time, I probably fudged a little too much, and almost made it a TPK. Only one PC made it out alive, and he was almost dead - the only thing that kept him going was an experimental combat stimulant that would kill him in a few hours, unless he got to a hospital.

The players seemed to enjoy it, though, so...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: "A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make." - Gary Gygax

I fudge rolls to cancel out my mistakes - if I've designed an encounter that turns out to be too powerful, then suddenly that hit turns into a miss, and that AC 30 is now 25. However, if the encounter is dangerous due to the stupidity of the players and not myself - well, I'm just giving them enough rope.

And I'd never fudge the other way. That's just unfair - for your players to come up with some clever plan, only to fail some critical roll due to DM fiat. If they really can't do it, then they should know better, but I once played in a game... If we ever did something the DM didn't like, suddenly the DCs for everything jumped by 20.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I generally don't fudge often - when I do, it's because either A) The monsters are rolling nothing but 1's, or B) The monsters are rolling nothing but 20's. Neither of those makes for a particularly fun fight. The occasional crit does happen, and certainly misses do, but I've had occasions where the monsters simply failed miserably to hit the PC's, or couldn't NOT miss.

So essentially, I roll, and if things are being annoyingly bad and unfun, I'll just decide what happens.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Dice? You need dice for this game?

But in all seriousness, I've DM'ed a few times and I usually go with what I roll, even if I'm rolling treasure before the session starts. Occasionally, as in that one time the first kobold the group encounter rolled three twenties and killed the fighter, I'll fudge it just because it makes the game go smoother. Though I'd like to note that I enjoy rolling the dice even when there's no reason too, keep the PC's guessing and all that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would only do if the pc's all start getting amazing rolls that make my carefully planned out encounters not as challenging

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I don't fudge, I add plot bonuses to rolls...
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I only fudge the rolls if I end up killing a PC way too fast, but I'm weaning myself off that. I do like the sound dice make, though.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

I "roll" before the playing, as in, i keep the results of 150 d20, 20 d everything else on a computer document and go from the first and go down.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I try to make my players aware that the dice fall as they may, and when that happens, the players may be in for a rough time. This is a dangerous game, and characters die.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I don't fudge rolls. Once or twice, I have "forgotten" monster abilities that would turn a tough fight into an easy TPK, though, for the sake of giving my players a shot if they're clever. In such cases, I usually just lower the Encounter Level by one or two for XP purposes and move forward.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-10-06 at 05:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience of the Great Gygax over the years, he seems to make up some great rules - but doesn't follow them himself, and he only says things like this to be provocative. He'd most likely be banned from this forum for trolling...

In response to the OP's question: I play D&D as a DM. That means I play by the same rules as the players. Dice are what we use to make outcomes of our actions uncertain - and the uncertainty is essential to the fun. I roll the dice, and I use the result. I feel that doing otherwise would be an insult.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

"Silence this Gygax (whomever he might be). He is giving away all our secrets!"

I fudge occasionally, but only when it'll make for a better story. We game to play heroes; heroes don't go down by being knifed in an alley* thank you very much.

* Noir, low-glam Cyberpunk settings, CoC & WFRP excepted of course

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I quite often roll the dice for no other reason than to alarm the players... (and disguise the significance of actual rolls)
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-10-06 at 05:56 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I occasionally fudge. Sometimes without actual good reason, because I think the dice roller's stuck on one number. I don't do it often, though.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

16. - Top - End - #16

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    I don't fudge, I add plot bonuses to rolls...
    QFT

I treat all combat rolls where they land, but if a monster is going down too fast, I might decide that it actually has 70hp instead of 50. If the PCs are hacking away though, I might give them credit for a few hits that would have missed otherwise. I never roll for treasure, the players get what I want them to get.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gygax sure made up a lot of DM-only tables to roll on for someone with this philosophy. I guess those are just there to fool the player, if he should happen to pick up the DMG.
    Blunder's Law: Just because it can be fixed doesn't mean it's not broken.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I quite often roll the dice for no other reason than to alarm the players... (and disguise the significance of actual rolls)
    That, plus, when I need something to come off as random and arbitrary, when it's actually quite important. You don't want to tip your hand too soon to the PC's that the little girl is supposed to live so that she can grow up and drink their souls later, or whatever.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Like an above poster, I also rarely fudge, but I fudge when *I* make a mistake that could endanger the player characters.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

20. - Top - End - #20

My fudging tends to be oriented more towards player preservation than player killing. I will inflate an encounter just to make it last a bit longer on occasion though.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I only fudge it when there's a mass of NPCs on both sides that I really don't want to waste the players' valuable time rolling out to the last hit point. For instance, I'm running a nautical campaign now, and the sailors and sailors on board enemy ships aren't important enough for me to run individually; I just roll a couple d20s for either side and adjudicate what happens to who on the fly.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

I only fudge if I make a mistake and make things too hard for the PCs. I don't want them to die because of my incompetence (their incompetence is more than enough).

I also fudge treasure rolls. If I roll somthing that I think will unbalance the game, I re-roll. I try to keep things a little surprising and such, but I do want some control over it.

I do the "sorry, I forgot the monster could do that" sometimes too. Especially with broken things like Alter Self, etc.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I'm all about fudging. I've run entire adventures on nothing more than the clackety-clack of random dice and my sense of dramatic timing. Part of this comes from the fact that when I started DM'ing, I had no idea what the rules were. So I made it all up as I went along. No one noticed.

I will usually keep them as they lay for large, dramatic scenes, whether that be combat or social scenes.

But in general, I make it all up.

Hmmm...I have the same username on here as I do on my PbP site...I hope none of my DnD players are OOTS fans. I'm probably safe, right? What are the odds of On-Line DnD Roleplayers would also know about OOTS?

(Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

24. - Top - End - #24

Truemane, you've just rolled 1 one your luck roll, most likely.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Fudging against the players I would consider plainly unfair, unfun and unnecessary.
    As for fudging for the players, I have a hard time making my players believe that I don't DM too much in their favour generally and wouldn't ever let them die (and they want the possibility of death in order to increase excitement). Therefore, no fudging at all in our group.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I used to fudge rolls to keep players alive but because I rolled in the open they knew when I was doing it. They told me it ruined the excitement of the game knowing that I would never kill them except by player stupidity and since my group at that time were fairly methodical players they were basically immortal. So I told them I would stop fudging, I did, and everyone had a better time. YMMV

As a side note I find that not fudging makes it more fun for me as a GM as well. It's no fun when you know the outcome before you start as a player and it's doubly so as a GM. It's fun when the players make you stay on your toes by rolling so well you have to alter the story. Sure the campaign plot may stay the same but how you thought the players would get there changes. Spices things up IMO.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

What I think he means here is that while the dice may fall on a given number, they have no authority over the Story. If the mad hatter with the axe I didn't intend to kill the party with lands a few critical hits, thats not dramatic (unless its a really dramatic hatter I suppose) its just lame. It won't send people home talking about it like legend, it will send people home thinking, "My guy died to that loser hatter.". If however, the monster is dramatic enough, I think even TPKs are permissible. But I think its true yes, if I understand it properly.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

28. - Top - End - #28

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SexyOchreJelly View Post
    To all Dungeon Masters,

Is this quote true? How often do you fudge rolls and for what reasons?
    Hmm. I'd have to agree with that statement, though I personally find dice rather noisy and see little reason to roll them if I'm not going to use the result. I usually DM more freeform games, so when I do roll the dice, I tend to fudge if the results do not support the dramatic tension or whatnot (not always fudged in the PC's favor).
    Quote:
    One of the hardest parts of DMing is to give players a reason to railroad themselves.
    (Originally Posted by Rockphed)

Quote:
    You're making a reasonable and rational argument here, instead of pandering to the extremists on either side. Stop it. I'm pretty sure that's a banning offense on the internet.
    (Originally Posted by Swordguy)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I fudge when the game is better for it.
    "We are all responsible for everybody."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I tend to fudge dice rolls in plot critical battles, such as against a BBEG. However, since the party is pretty big and we have two primary casters who employ direct damage, buffs and debuffs judiciously (we houseruled in 3.0 Haste that affects the whole party), it is usually in the favor of the BBEG (he makes the grapple check, his AC is actually 1 point higher, etc). I tend to not have any PCs killed off though, even when I try. Maybe I'm still too nice...