New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

I'm going to assume that poem sounds better in the original klingon.
    Err... orcish.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Colossus in the Playground

Im not an expert but isnt it generally considered in bad form to sneak up behind a deaf person and tap them on the shoulder? I know sneak is a relative term but basically, you should try to move in front of them so they can see you coming to avoid a 5 foot vertical leap at an unexpected touch.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

I don't think Snout's very good at this "date" thing.

Also, that "let's do this" stretching pose would be more impressive if he weren't about to read books.
    More books.
    About some topic that's looking kinda unrelated to his actual mission.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im not an expert but isnt it generally considered in bad form to sneak up behind a deaf person and tap them on the shoulder? I know sneak is a relative term but basically, you should try to move in front of them so they can see you coming to avoid a 5 foot vertical leap at an unexpected touch.
    Snout was sitting at a table his nose in a book, so he wouldn't have seen her anyway.
    I mean, Veth could've waited until he puts the book down and turns around and greet him when he notices her, but she probably doesn't have all year.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-07-05 at 12:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lol, wait until he meets Punchy McStonefist.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #1355

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

I don't think Snout's very good at this "date" thing.

Also, that "let's do this" stretching pose would be more impressive if he weren't about to read books.
    More books.
    About some topic that's looking kinda unrelated to his actual mission.

Edit:

Snout was sitting at a table his nose in a book, so he wouldn't have seen her anyway.
    I mean, Veth could've waited until he puts the book down and turns around and greet him when he notices her, but she probably doesn't have all year.
    Its related, this guy was working with a deegan. It may not be a direct connection but it also may be able to provide a link, or some more hints.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

The amount of scholarly activity taking place here is uh, enormous. Is that the sign out list for a single book? Or do they only let one person access the archive at a time for some reason?

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Zombie Alive" is a term I didn't think I'd be reading again,

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    "Zombie Alive" is a term I didn't think I'd be reading again,
    It sounds like a good song title, but as a name, it's just dumb. "Living Zombie" wound be much better.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #1360

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I bet Dom had a vision about Snout when he created that rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I bet Dom had a vision about Snout when he created that rule.
    No, Snout's plot luck just has the ability to alter reality so that the most convenient solution always happens.

12. - Top - End - #1362

That was just so unneeded. I mean, he literally made up a rule where snout would be stuck waiting his turn only to show that snout is so awesome being a wild edge reader, that he gets to jump the queue automatically. Its like he is SO TIRED of having any sort of issue to overcome aside from the main thrust of the story that he has to solve every problem as soon as it arises. After seeing him do it for the 60th time, I honestly am shocked that we didnt learn about his curiosity over the life of dominic then next comic literally trip over his full and unabridged biography. The End. Followed by a series of nude drawings of every character design he can think of.

13. - Top - End - #1363

No, Snout's plot luck just has the ability to alter reality so that the most convenient solution always happens.
    Ah, but that plot luck is all because Dominic had manipulated everything he needed to ensure it would happen.

Sorry to spoil the big reveal about what exactly is the Legacy of Dominic Deegan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #1364

This actually already is the legacy of DD. DD founded the Union Library System. The Orcs respect DD so much, that they allow free access to their archive to people from the library that got DD's books, not out of any special consideration towards mongrelfolk, but because that's what DD (would have?) wanted.

I wonder how DD managed to do that. Did he become obscenely rich? Did he rule upon Maltak, or otherwise join its government? Did he use magic and subterfuge, later revealing himself as the puppeteer behind the Library System?

By the way, this should be a momentous scene. Almost two years in real time have gone by, since Snout first left the Wild Edge Library to look for a copy of "A Beginner's Guide to Lucid Dreaming". We have been told twice that they likely don't have the book, which didn't really elicit any visible emotion in Snout. And, to be honest, I had completely forgotten that that was supposed to be the plot. And Snout probably also has, since he didn't ask for that book yet.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This actually already is the legacy of DD. DD founded the Union Library System. The Orcs respect DD so much, that they allow free access to their archive to people from the library that got DD's books, not out of any special consideration towards mongrelfolk, but because that's what DD (would have?) wanted.
    "... Dominic Deegan, who wished for all mongrelfolk to have access to the world's education and history."

16. - Top - End - #1366

"... Dominic Deegan, who wished for all mongrelfolk to have access to the world's education and history."
    Yup, as I wrote: DD wanted that. The Orcs go along with it out of respect for DD, who, if I recall correctly, lived 200 years ago.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, as I wrote: DD wanted that. The Orcs go along with it out of respect for DD, who, if I recall correctly, lived 200 years ago.
    Following an explicit instruction from the guy who made your library isn't "out of respect." That's called company policy.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2021-07-09 at 02:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know, from the way the librarian looked on the previous page I expected a "Your "library card" is no good here" not a "Hey, you're the main character! Just walk right in!".
    Okay, it might've been a surprised "Wait those things really exist?"
    or a angry/annoyed "Great. Now I've got to the Prof. SquigglyLine he will have to wait some longer. I can already hear the angry screeching. Who thought making a velociraptor a professor was a good idea?"
    or maybe "Oh come on! We just had that test last week! What a waste of time. And what's with the costume? Even if a real mongrelfolk ever shows up, there's no way they'd look this stupid."

19. - Top - End - #1369

Following an explicit instruction from the guy who made your library isn't "out of respect." That's called company policy.
    Public libraries ("Union" stands for "Maltak Union*") aren't companies where I live, they are state-run institutions, and such an exception/privilege would be expected to be expression of a commonly held value. What is interesting (or odd) is that the reason is stated to be found in a decision by Dominic, who wasn't an orc and has been dead for over a hundred years, instead of a common value.

It's very difficult to think of a parallel, because we don't know how Dominic got in a position that allowed him to found the library system, or if he even was a public servant. I can imagine it going like this, Dominic visits Stonewater, who might be the first president or the new self-declared Supreme Overwarlordman, and goes, "you know, you could have a library" "yes, we have that", "but what about a library system?", "oh my Atka, Dominic, this is GENIUS, we will make it right now and you will be forever remembered as the founder!", and that was all of Dominic's input, except the mongrel rule.

It's also worth noting that the librarian at the Wild Edje Librare doesn't look like a mongrelfolk, and would be excluded from this provision.

*although Maltak Union could mean that Maltak is now a corporation, which I would find hilarious once Snout finds out, but that's unlikely.

or maybe "Oh come on! We just had that test last week! What a waste of time. And what's with the costume? Even if a real mongrelfolk ever shows up, there's no way they'd look this stupid."

Indeed, they should look like this! https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-co...4_20190703.jpg I think going digital has had quite the impact on Snout's appearance.

20. - Top - End - #1370

Public libraries ("Union" stands for "Maltak Union*") aren't companies where I live, they are state-run institutions, and such an exception/privilege would be expected to be expression of a commonly held value. What is interesting (or odd) is that the reason is stated to be found in a decision by Dominic, who wasn't an orc and has been dead for over a hundred years, instead of a common value.

It's very difficult to think of a parallel, because we don't know how Dominic got in a position that allowed him to found the library system, or if he even was a public servant. I can imagine it going like this, Dominic visits Stonewater, who might be the first president or the new self-declared Supreme Overwarlordman, and goes, "you know, you could have a library" "yes, we have that", "but what about a library system?", "oh my Atka, Dominic, this is GENIUS, we will make it right now and you will be forever remembered as the founder!", and that was all of Dominic's input, except the mongrel rule.

It's also worth noting that the librarian at the Wild Edje Librare doesn't look like a mongrelfolk, and would be excluded from this provision.

*although Maltak Union could mean that Maltak is now a corporation, which I would find hilarious once Snout finds out, but that's unlikely.

Indeed, they should look like this! https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-co...4_20190703.jpg I think going digital has had quite the impact on Snout's appearance.
    Thats how it works here, but for all we know, dominic used the vast wealth he built from seeing the truth (also his mom being a powerful archmage and dad being a rock star iirc might help his funding) to either pay for entirely, or leave a massive endowment for said library system, and built in some contractual obligations as to what they have to do to keep being able to use that money. Its probably the simplest, and therefore right, explanation for all this.

21. - Top - End - #1371

Thats how it works here, but for all we know, dominic used the vast wealth he built from seeing the truth (also his mom being a powerful archmage and dad being a rock star iirc might help his funding) to either pay for entirely, or leave a massive endowment for said library system, and built in some contractual obligations as to what they have to do to keep being able to use that money. Its probably the simplest, and therefore right, explanation for all this.
    You are right, but, for what I remember, in DD wealth is usually a sign of being evil. Szark (when he was introduced as rich and decadent), Luna's mother, the businessman with fake hair, they were all evil. DD's Mom got away with it because she was a public servant or something similar, so she had massive resources at her disposal without actually owning them.

So the idea of poor Dominic who started out in a hut in a backward village getting rich feels odd. If I recall correctly, Dominic actually sold his own prosthetic leg to pay for his house (because he was awesome). But maybe he asked his dad and his brother to make another donation concert drive, "Battle for Maltak" or something similar. That would be very DD, the biggest concert ever, an historical event centered around First Caste members (DD's immediate kin) being awesome and loved, raising money only to give it away immediately.

Or maybe he learnt how to project visions into others, and started his own subscription-based porn broadcast service

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

"You all meet in a bar classroom."
    There's worse ways to start a adventure, I guess.

Also, the people who broke magic were all Domenic's students. I wonder what that says about him as a teacher.

23. - Top - End - #1373

New comic

"You all meet in a bar classroom."
    There's worse ways to start a adventure, I guess.

Also, the people who broke magic were all Domenic's students. I wonder what that says about him as a teacher.
    It remonds me of Gandalf: "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ettin in the Playground

You're representing two things as mutually exclusive that aren't mutually exclusive. A company policy can be "out of respect" for the wishes(not "explicit instruction") of a founder. And in a society who's existence heavily relied on the intervention of said founder, easily granted wishes from said founder are GOING to be followed, out of respect. Just because you "can" rephrase this simplistic and non-sinister interaction in more sinister and non-optional language doesn't mean that re-phrasing is correct. And in this case, it's not correct.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It remonds me of Gandalf: "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
    To be fair, they claim they "changed how magic works".

But in my book?
    It sure is nice you turned that microwave oven into a functional radio transmitter, but that doesn't change it can't heat food anymore.
    So it's broken. And I'm hungry.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    ... sinister ...
    What the f*** are you talking about?

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Snout's priorities seem a bit backwards to me, but that might be because I'm hungry.

Those notes though.
    Pretty much how mine used to look.
    And when you go over them some time later you're all "The heck was I trying to say here?".
    If you're unlucky that happens right when you need them.

28. - Top - End - #1378

The thing that bothers me is, This still feels like make work given to the helpful but dim dude to keep him out from underfoot. You really think these people never bothered to visit their own library for information? In a rational world, he would hand over his notes, they would smile, pat him on the head, and go back to doing the research thats like 15 steps ahead of this on the trail of records and such. In its most positive interpretation, they are letting him follow the path from start to them at his own pace so he understands what they already know without them having to sit down and explain it all to him. But this is a mookie comic, so im sure they will be genuinely astonished at the information he has pulled up and the leads it has given them, despite, again, being publicly available at the local library.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you see the wait-list for that book though (which made no sense of course)? The only reason he was able to read it is because Dominic decreed it.

It's possible they knew only he would be able to get access to it, and specifically seeked him out for this purpose.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-07-19 at 06:40 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Did you see the wait-list for that book though (which made no sense of course)? The only reason he was able to read it is because Dominic decreed it.

It's possible they knew only he would be able to get access to it, and specifically seeked him out for this purpose.
    Maybe, but they have been searching for years, they have formed entire COVENS to research this issue. Surely at some point over the years they were able to read the book. Or outright steal it because these ink witch people dont seem to care much about anything but their goals. And if it WAS the only way to get to read the book, they probably would have informed him of what title he had to get his grubby mitts on. Instead they basically patted him on the back and let him go do whatever he wanted. Maybe they are aware he has protagonist powers and would stumble over exactly what was needed without help?