New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

My personal theory is
    Spoiler
    Show
    we are finally seeing the trope of the "we're not so different, you and I." style that pops up so often in this type of story. Both AFO and OFA have similar roots as has already been pointed out. We have seen the evidence that both leave remnants of the previous holders within them. Now we are seeing the difference between these two similar abilities. AFO is all about control and power where the last holder is able and willing to just straight up go "Yer body is mine now, move over" while deku isnt dealing with that, instead these previous holders are basically offering their aid in the form of abilities, and possibly instinctive knowledge in how they work, but deku is and remains in the drivers seat. More advisors than other people struggling for control. What deku has is a gift, freely given, what all for one has is theft, forcibly taken. The end result is surprisingly similar but from opposite sides of the spectrum.
    Im honestly wondering where things go from here. We need a wrap up at some point but good lord how do we get there?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #932

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    My personal theory is
    Spoiler
    Show
    we are finally seeing the trope of the "we're not so different, you and I." style that pops up so often in this type of story. Both AFO and OFA have similar roots as has already been pointed out. We have seen the evidence that both leave remnants of the previous holders within them. Now we are seeing the difference between these two similar abilities. AFO is all about control and power where the last holder is able and willing to just straight up go "Yer body is mine now, move over" while deku isnt dealing with that, instead these previous holders are basically offering their aid in the form of abilities, and possibly instinctive knowledge in how they work, but deku is and remains in the drivers seat. More advisors than other people struggling for control. What deku has is a gift, freely given, what all for one has is theft, forcibly taken. The end result is surprisingly similar but from opposite sides of the spectrum.
    Im honestly wondering where things go from here. We need a wrap up at some point but good lord how do we get there?
    My personal guess on this is
    Spoiler
    Show
    that the previous holders fight A4O and manage to take him out. Having that mental link severed ****s up A4O's brain and basically leaves him dead, and it weakens Shigaraki enough that Deku is able to put him into the ground for good.

3. - Top - End - #933

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    My personal guess on this is
    Spoiler
    Show
    that the previous holders fight A4O and manage to take him out. Having that mental link severed ****s up A4O's brain and basically leaves him dead, and it weakens Shigaraki enough that Deku is able to put him into the ground for good.
    Its also possible
    Spoiler
    Show
    That breaking that link makes it possible to force a retreat on both sides. Shigaraki is horribly weakened by everything that has happened, crippled and enar death himself right now. Once he retakes control, he is going to want to gtfo of there if he even retains consciousness and doesnt fall into a coma, and the side of the heroes isnt doing any better. Neither side is really in a position to keep going anymore. Too much damage has been taken on both sides, and lives are at risk if they dont move to get healed now. It COULD easily go either way right now. Have deku finally falter and collapse and the good guys need to leave. Have shigaraki no longer be able to keep fighting and HE needs to go. Same for actual victory. A final smash to put down the past his limits shigaraki, or a failed attempt to smash puts down deku. Can someone give me details on team evil right now? I know giganto dude is smashing his way around, and of course shiga is on the ropes. Who else is there and whats their conditions? Are there any reserve bad guys waiting for the chance to cause a reversal or help the rest make a break for it? I know the good guys have been comprehensively wrecked in this battle.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #934

Its also possible
    Spoiler
    Show
    That breaking that link makes it possible to force a retreat on both sides. Shigaraki is horribly weakened by everything that has happened, crippled and enar death himself right now. Once he retakes control, he is going to want to gtfo of there if he even retains consciousness and doesnt fall into a coma, and the side of the heroes isnt doing any better. Neither side is really in a position to keep going anymore. Too much damage has been taken on both sides, and lives are at risk if they dont move to get healed now. It COULD easily go either way right now. Have deku finally falter and collapse and the good guys need to leave. Have shigaraki no longer be able to keep fighting and HE needs to go. Same for actual victory. A final smash to put down the past his limits shigaraki, or a failed attempt to smash puts down deku. Can someone give me details on team evil right now? I know giganto dude is smashing his way around, and of course shiga is on the ropes. Who else is there and whats their conditions? Are there any reserve bad guys waiting for the chance to cause a reversal or help the rest make a break for it? I know the good guys have been comprehensively wrecked in this battle.
    Gigantomachia has all of the Villain League (minus Twice, rip in piece), alongside Geta (the ice guy) and the puppet guy. The implication based on the sheer destructive nature of Giganto plus the work of the heroes is that every other villain is dealt with.

5. - Top - End - #935

Gigantomachia has all of the Villain League (minus Twice, rip in piece), alongside Geta (the ice guy) and the puppet guy. The implication based on the sheer destructive nature of Giganto plus the work of the heroes is that every other villain is dealt with.
    Ah ok thanks, I just figured I would bring up the most common surprise twist that tends to happen in these scenarios. "Oho! You forgot about my minion Xpendy the Expendable! He hasnt shown up in 76 chapters, but he was just waiting for this moment to give me the opening to escape!" Same could honestly go for the heroes making a last minute appearance being enough to cause a break off of contact in some way. The washing machine hero arrives to clean house! "Ugh, I really dont need bleach in all these open wounds, im outta here!"

6. - Top - End - #936

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Within the mental realm of One For All and All For One, we see A4O start to rant, taken in by the euphoria of his apparent victory, perhaps disturbed by the fear that he may lose here. It's honestly really interesting to see him act so... childish, at this important moment. It really sells home The First's comment on how he really is just a petulant child playing up his idea of evil. Hell, we even get an acknowledgement that a part of A4O feels GUILT and he actively does his best to squash it at every opportunity.

There's a lot of rambling about how ****ty Deku is and about how no he's a good boy, and we're gonna beat you, and then Deku charges forward, and it's all very nice and good. The connection is broken, they fall, and it seems as though this is finally it.

Then we get the best scene in the chapter somehow, where Toga reflects on how she wants to fnd Uraraka and Deku, and ask them; if heroes are meant to defend people, then does that mean in their eyes Jin (aka Twice) wasn't a person? Is his death justified because in their eyes he is someone who is less than human? Their answers... will determine how things go. It's quite intense.

7. - Top - End - #937

Spoiler
    Show
    This will either lead to the start of Toga's rehabilitation, or her rejecting any attempt to help her and her dying a villain.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Kind of disappointed that the mind battle ended so quickly, but we did learn some interesting things. For one, Sensei (AFO is the Quirk, so that might get confusing) is literally haunted by his victims unless he gives the Quirks away. And yeah, he does seem to drop his cool evil overlord persona and let loose in this encounter. Maybe he thought he was about to win. Also the first wielder makes a full appearance. The opposing brothers motif, that's a classic.

And his relationship with Shigaraki is surprising. I thought they...cared about each other? Sensei casually mentioning that Shigaraki also hates him took me off guard.

Toga's redemption tease is interesting. Not just from a character standpoint but also a strategic one. Her evolved Quirk is potentially bonkers, and I still think she might be the best fighter in the series if we remove Quirks from the equation.

Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The answer to Toga's question is never going to be one she will like, until the day she comes to terms with what pieces of **** the league are, what an unrepentant and borderline genocidal monster her boss is, and understands why the stakes were to high to have the kid gloves on during that raid. A hero's need to save "everyone" is inherently paradoxical, considering unless you only ever deal with natural disasters and such you will usually have to save someone from someone else. If she can't come to terms with what a monster she has been and really examine the trail of bodies her and her besties have been leaving, and the clear escalation of conflict it entails, I'm not certain she will be able to even comprehend the answer.

Side note, anyone who claims Hawk didn't consider Twice a person when he killed him is just wrong anyways. That was a deeply emotional moment and clearly a vary difficult decision. Not that Toga would know that though.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The answer to Toga's question is never going to be one she will like, until the day she comes to terms with what pieces of **** the league are, what an unrepentant and borderline genocidal monster her boss is, and understands why the stakes were to high to have the kid gloves on during that raid. A hero's need to save "everyone" is inherently paradoxical, considering unless you only ever deal with natural disasters and such you will usually have to save someone from someone else. If she can't come to terms with what a monster she has been and really examine the trail of bodies her and her besties have been leaving, and the clear escalation of conflict it entails, I'm not certain she will be able to even comprehend the answer.

Side note, anyone who claims Hawk didn't consider Twice a person when he killed him is just wrong anyways. That was a deeply emotional moment and clearly a vary difficult decision. Not that Toga would know that though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's what makes it such a good scene for Toga. She doesn't know that, but WE do. WE have to grapple with the fact that the answer to her question is yes, they saw Twice as a person... and Hawks still killed him. It was the right choice but it was still a person he killed and that's ****ed up.

11. - Top - End - #941

Spoiler
    Show
    "Are the people you killed people?"

Toga is compelled to harm others to drink their blood. A Hero might be compelled to kill someone to save the lives of others.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Are the people you killed people?"

Toga is compelled to harm others to drink their blood. A Hero might be compelled to kill someone to save the lives of others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's an odd comparison, considering we have seen the heroes generally going to great lengths to be nonlethal and capture event the worst of the villains they have faced. The biggest example I can think of of someone doing that before this arc is the flashback in Vigilantes where Endeavor shows himself to be willing to kill Pop with overwhelming force because of the whole mass bombing thing. It wasn't until this latest arc where the villains literally absorbed a terrorist nation that we have seen the heroes start to open up with their power without restraint, and even then only a few heroes seem to be willing to do that. Toga in the meanwhile, is an unrepentant murderer who only seems to be really questioning the morality of killing after someone she actually likes got offed.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #943

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Pretty lowkey chapter today, focused on the Gigantomachia rampage and how the other heroes are trying to save people. Uraraka comes across an old lady... who is Toga in disguise. Confrontation! Also teasing of someone who is injured making a debut, which is probably Best Jeanist, still alive.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

Wonders if I should skip a few chapters and then read them all at once.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Wonders if I should skip a few chapters and then read them all at once.
    Only if you take a break from all parts of the internet likely to cause spoilers. :p I know my youtube feed will sometimes post chapter reviews of various anime including mha and the headlines are rarely written to avoid spoilers.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

Only if you take a break from all parts of the internet likely to cause spoilers. :p I know my youtube feed will sometimes post chapter reviews of various anime including mha and the headlines are rarely written to avoid spoilers.
    I only check YouTube for subscriptions and none of them is MHA. Likewise I already have enough podcasts that I can not listen to them all.

My thought process is

Spoiler: A Character Favorite
    Show
    is that Toga stories are better all at once instead over 4 issues over a month. Something does not translate when it is starting, stopping, them trying to hold the suspense for a week. Not what Toga does, but her kinetic faces with what she does is part of the joy, and you lose this between settings.

Likewise while I think Toga is a great character, she is very polarizing for the community, and I have heard all the arguments before by now.

17. - Top - End - #947

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I only check YouTube for subscriptions and none of them is MHA. Likewise I already have enough podcasts that I can not listen to them all.

My thought process is

Spoiler: A Character Favorite
    Show
    is that Toga stories are better all at once instead over 4 issues over a month. Something does not translate when it is starting, stopping, them trying to hold the suspense for a week. Not what Toga does, but her kinetic faces with what she does is part of the joy, and you lose this between settings.

Likewise while I think Toga is a great character, she is very polarizing for the community, and I have heard all the arguments before by now.
    I find her to be very fascinating myself. I get the feeling she could honestly go either way when it comes to say, redemption. And I get what you mean about not wanting to experience it in driblets. I feel that way about things like webcomics, or even full on book series. Nothing kills my love for a good series more than having to wait a year or two in between books. Its why I never finished wheel of time, and why im unlikely to ever finish the dresden books.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ettin in the Playground

I find her to be very fascinating myself. I get the feeling she could honestly go either way when it comes to say, redemption. And I get what you mean about not wanting to experience it in driblets. I feel that way about things like webcomics, or even full on book series. Nothing kills my love for a good series more than having to wait a year or two in between books. Its why I never finished wheel of time, and why im unlikely to ever finish the dresden books.
    Yeah I am hit or miss, some things I love waiting a week and can sustain my excitement, other things I can not. I know this is a human thing but I think my ADHD makes it worse on both extremes (really into something, or I lost former enthusiasm.)

Wheel of Time is not worth it. It does not hold up. That said my 16 and 17 year old self over a decade ago was really into it. Got to Book 10 and I was wondering where was this going for it was obvious RJ lost the plot by then.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Pretty lowkey chapter today, focused on the Gigantomachia rampage and how the other heroes are trying to save people. Uraraka comes across an old lady... who is Toga in disguise. Confrontation! Also teasing of someone who is injured making a debut, which is probably Best Jeanist, still alive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lol I completely forgot about the whole "Hawks killing Jeanist" plot point. I always suspected it was some kind of ruse designed to facilitate his infiltration, but it was impossible to know for sure.

If Toga really did kill the old lady instead of just swiping a bit of blood (e.g. Cammy, Ochaco, Deku, she doesn't need much for a short transformation) then I don't see her getting what she wants from Ochaco.

Also, nice to see Spinner step up as the one to show any level of concern over Toga. It's funny because in their first meeting Dabi and Toga attacked Shigaraki, stopped only by Kurogiri. They've really come together over the course of the story. It helps that they've spent a lot of that time in villain on villain combat (yakuza, the front). But I think we're approaching the point where there has to be a final reckoning and I'm genuinely worried. Which is great for a story.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well then, it hasn't been a matter of "if" in a while, now it's not a matter of "when" either.

Personally, this moment was everything I hoped for, and I had pretty high hopes.

21. - Top - End - #951

Spoiler
    Show
    Much like the "Tobi is Obito" of our yesteryear, this is a twist everyone and their mother saw coming- but was still executed very very well, if I do say so myself. Seeing Dabi so... jubilent makes me think Horikoshi definitely checked out the Phoenix Joker movie for inspiration on this. It's a lot, and it's very good, and god I'm... the fact that this chapter opens with Rei's re-traumazation is a ****ing lot to handle.

Also Shigaraki is definitely getting away thanks to Gigantomachia I think. I think we're firmly at the part where the fighting has worn everyone out to SUCH a degree, that we'll have to abandon the fight on both sides.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    This is just genius. Revealing something that everyone and their pet goldfish has already guessed can't be easy, but the author pulls it off by going full ham. Dabi goes off on a massive rant reveal, exposing Endeavour's secret to the world, undermining the number 1 hero just when the country needs him the most. Not to mention likely tearing apart the happy family he was trying to patch back together.

And I really like that this was all predicted, but nobody could have known that it would happen at this specific time, in this specific way.

It's so tragically fitting that just when Endeavour has what he wants, his own sins come back to burn it all down. If anyone believed that Endeavour got off too easy, Dabi's here to put an end to that. It's just that there will be collateral damage. Revenge is funny that way.

23. - Top - End - #953

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is just genius. Revealing something that everyone and their pet goldfish has already guessed can't be easy, but the author pulls it off by going full ham. Dabi goes off on a massive rant reveal, exposing Endeavour's secret to the world, undermining the number 1 hero just when the country needs him the most. Not to mention likely tearing apart the happy family he was trying to patch back together.

And I really like that this was all predicted, but nobody could have known that it would happen at this specific time, in this specific way.

It's so tragically fitting that just when Endeavour has what he wants, his own sins come back to burn it all down. If anyone believed that Endeavour got off too easy, Dabi's here to put an end to that. It's just that there will be collateral damage. Revenge is funny that way.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's like the good boy said: The past never dies. You reap what you sow.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Most Recent Chapter, 290
    Show

Live Dabi, live Toya Todoroki.

Be the Onibi that you were always meant to be (Onibi's are the Japanesse equivalent of Will-O-Wisp / Jack-O-Lanterns, but with different myths.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onibi
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-11-10 at 01:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just realized a minor detail that makes this worse.

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't realize this on the first reading, but one of the civilians watching Dabi's reveal is that one weird kid who was a big Endeavour fanboy and was initially put off by his new persona, but then roots for him when he was fighting High End. Kid looks absolutely devastated.

Also Jesus that one-page shot of Dabi is gold. Horikoshi can really deliver those expressive close-ups.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

So the reason we've been waiting for so long for this reveal is in order to do it as theatrically as possible.

I grudgingly approve

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    So the reason we've been waiting for so long for this reveal is in order to do it as theatrically as possible.

I grudgingly approve
    Remember

Spoiler: 290 and other Chapters
    Show
    It was 100 chapters ago Endeavor did his theater pose after defeating High End. It was 99 chapters ago when Dabi wanted to talk to Endeavor and Hawks, and he told his dad “to break a leg” !

Resentful theatre boys are proud today if they have a bad jock dad.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

*Looks*

I need MHA to publish more often, I *need* it. Ironic that 28 days ago I was wondering if I should try saving it and just reading 3 or 4 chapters all at once.

29. - Top - End - #959

You can wait two days man

New My Hero Vigilantes by the way. It's going where we expected; the highlight is Rappa being a little sexist to Mirko and Mirko all but saying she'll kill his ass dead if he wants to go a round. And it like, being a positive conversation for them both.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Vigilantes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh I never would have thought the quirk stealing power was so quick. It seemed pretty quick during the attempt to steal OfA but figured that was a special case. Bit of a shame, as it would have been more fitting for AfO to have a more drawn out painful method to steal quirks to fit his style better.