New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Or maybe she would have. Generally it's irrelevant. She IS a serial killer, and ultimately you don't get to blame society for a pile of bodies. You gotta own your ****.
    I'm not blaming society.

I'm blaming her parents, who abused her emotionally, and the Quack, who did the exact opposite of his job and in dong so made a manageable condition deteriorate into an unmanageable one.

A the end of the day, I don't think Toga can be held responsible for her actions. If blame needs to be adjucated, it should be placed at the feat of the people who had the opportunity and responsibility to prevent Toga's condition from deteriaoritng to where it is now but actively failed to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think Toga is an object lesson is really analyzing how it'd be to just de-quirk criminals. Because I do agree, in like 99% of the cases, doing that is akin to slicing the hamstring of a criminal so he's incapable of running, or slicing the equivalent so he's incapable of intense motion with his arm. It is a "clean punishment" because it allows them to live, but is directly disabling them, which is what de-quirking someone would be.

But Toga's quirk by its very nature encourages her to drink blood. Would removing her quirk remove that compulsion? Based purely on what the manga has shown us I think the answer to this question is yes. So in this case it is medicating someone, and a side effect of that medication being a disablement of some of their natural body functions.

Which is still very ****ed up and I really have no idea on what side of this I would lend my support, which speaks to how well nuanced the series is.
    I don't think so.

IT's established that Quirks are separate from Quirk factor--the biological and psychological adaptations needed to use quirks, are not: Even to the point that Quirk Factor isn't evolving fast enough to keep up with how fast quirks are evolving, leading to the need for body mods or support gear for people to use their powers to their fullest extent.

Taking away Toga's quirk has a very real possibility of not only not taking away her compulsion to drink blood, but since she'd no longer be getting any benefit from it it might actually make it worse: Her compulsions deteriorated significantly from "play with and drink any blood" to "drink the blood of people I love so that I can become the people I love." Taking away her power at this point would just make it physically impossible for her to sate her compulsions, so... She'd probably end up even crazier.

Basically, the only way Toga isn't ending in tragedy is if she's captured alive, kept in a secure facility, and given the mental health care--from someone who isn't a quack--needed to dial her issues back to manageable levels.

Unless it turns out that the "biting" is a vital part of the "needs to regularly drink blood to maintain sanity," she finally snaps and bites someone, and then immediately snaps to lucidity but that would be an asspull.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Basically, the only way Toga isn't ending in tragedy is if she's captured alive, kept in a secure facility, and given the mental health care--from someone who isn't a quack--needed to dial her issues back to manageable levels.

Unless it turns out that the "biting" is a vital part of the "needs to regularly drink blood to maintain sanity," she finally snaps and bites someone, and then immediately snaps to lucidity but that would be an asspull.
    Mental health care only works if someone submits to it. You can't make someone do something they don't want to do, which is the unspoken failure you're tacitly sidestepping. Toga has clearly shown she has a distaste for playing by society's rules already and doesn't understand why her actions are wrong. Being kept in prison and talked at isn't absolutely going to undo that either.

But you know what could potentially fix her psychological problem and greatly reduce her threat level? Taking her quirk away. That's something you can't just handwave away talking about Quirk Factors, because even if the compulsions don't go away, she won't be able to shapeshift or copy other people's powers. At this point it's bizarre to not treat a violent psychopath with the expectation that she will violently and psychopathically act on her compulsions.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2021-01-19 at 02:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1053

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    Mental health care only works if someone submits to it. You can't make someone do something they don't want to do, which is the unspoken failure you're tacitly sidestepping. Toga has clearly shown she has a distaste for playing by society's rules already and doesn't understand why her actions are wrong. Being kept in prison and talked at isn't absolutely going to undo that either.

But you know what could potentially fix her psychological problem and greatly reduce her threat level? Taking her quirk away. That's something you can't just handwave away talking about Quirk Factors, because even if the compulsions don't go away, she won't be able to shapeshift or copy other people's powers. At this point it's bizarre to not treat a violent psychopath with the expectation that she will violently and psychopathically act on her compulsions.
    Her quirks is an inherent part of her being.

Taking it away is no different from cutting off her legs so she can't run away Ie, a massive human rights violation. Even if it would make her sane, which is probably wouldn't, that doesn't justify crippling or mutilating her.

And they're called human rights becuase all humans have them.

Treat her as less than human, and pretty soon anyone suspected of a crime will be treated as less than human.

The idea of people being depowered becuase they committed a crime... You can say that it'd only happen t the worst of the worst, but you do something like that to anyone, once it's established as things you can do to people, it will get done to more and more people.

We're talking about Japan here. Japan has a nasty habit of assuming that if you've been accused of a crime you're guilty--if it gets to trial, you almost certainly will be convicted, and once depowering is a standard part of how "villains" are detained once convicted(or worse, if depowering is done at arrest rather than conviction) that's a problem.

It's best that the idea of crippling people so they can't escape from prison never gets put into practice under any circumstances whatsoever. It's better that they serve their sentences in Supermax than it is they be crippled in a regular prison.

...And that's ignoring the elephant in the room that currently the only way to depower people involves exploiting a traumatized six-year-old.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1054

OrcBarbarianGuy

Her quirks is an inherent part of her being.

Taking it away is no different from cutting off her legs so she can't run away Ie, a massive human rights violation. Even if it would make her sane, which is probably wouldn't, that doesn't justify crippling or mutilating her.

And they're called human rights becuase all humans have them.

Treat her as less than human, and pretty soon anyone suspected of a crime will be treated as less than human.

The idea of people being depowered becuase they committed a crime... You can say that it'd only happen t the worst of the worst, but you do something like that to anyone, once it's established as things you can do to people, it will get done to more and more people.

We're talking about Japan here. Japan has a nasty habit of assuming that if you've been accused of a crime you're guilty--if it gets to trial, you almost certainly will be convicted, and once depowering is a standard part of how "villains" are detained once convicted(or worse, if depowering is done at arrest rather than conviction) that's a problem.

It's best that the idea of crippling people so they can't escape from prison never gets put into practice under any circumstances whatsoever. It's better that they serve their sentences in Supermax than it is they be crippled in a regular prison.

...And that's ignoring the elephant in the room that currently the only way to depower people involves exploiting a traumatized six-year-old.
    Taking away the Eri issue, because I certainly wouldn't want to hurt a 6 year old child, it is a rather gross oversimplification to call removing a quirk "crippling or mutilating". They are still fully functioning people who have abused their supernatural ability by harming and killing other people. A judicial board is well within its sanctioned rights to judge whether or not that person should have access to that power or to freedom in general. That's how a society works, and a hyper-individualistic concept of justice like that is little better than the villains' own views. Moonfish has blades for teeth, he's not going to be mutilated or crippled by having his bladeteeth be good old regular human teeth.

Like, this isn't a difficult issue. There's no perfect solution here, but the one that is safest for the greater amount of innocent people who have done absolutely nothing wrong is the better of imperfect solutions, and waxing philosophical about human rights doesn't take away the fact that a system of laws and justice is meant to protect society from aggression.

5. - Top - End - #1055

Taking away the Eri issue, because I certainly wouldn't want to hurt a 6 year old child, it is a rather gross oversimplification to call removing a quirk "crippling or mutilating".
    You are deliberately removing part of someone's body and/or one of their natural abilities.

What else would it be but crippling or mutilating them? What else could that possibly be?

You don't amputate a healthy limb under any circumstances. You don't lobotomize someone unless that is literally the only way to remove their deadly brain cancer, and even then I imagine many such people would rather die than live in the state of being that a traditional lobotomy leaves you in.

It's abominable to think otherwise.

It is hammered into us, the audience, that quirks are not a foreign or alien presence in the body, they are a fundamental part of who someone is.

Taking away someone's quirk becuase it's easier than giving them the help they need... For one, the quirk factor thing I've already explained means it probably woulnd't work, and for two... It's an abominable thought.

You don't cripple prisoners so they can't escape. You don't cripple the mentally ill becuase it's easier than actually helping them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1056

OrcBarbarianGuy

You are deliberately removing part of someone's body and/or one of their natural abilities.

What else would it be but crippling or mutilating them? What else could that possibly be?

You don't amputate a healthy limb under any circumstances. You don't lobotomize someone unless that is literally the only way to remove their deadly brain cancer, and even then I imagine many such people would rather die than live in the state of being that a traditional lobotomy leaves you in.

It's abominable to think otherwise.

It is hammered into us, the audience, that quirks are not a foreign or alien presence in the body, they are a fundamental part of who someone is.

Taking away someone's quirk becuase it's easier than giving them the help they need... For one, the quirk factor thing I've already explained means it probably woulnd't work, and for two... It's an abominable thought.

You don't cripple prisoners so they can't escape. You don't cripple the mentally ill becuase it's easier than actually helping them.
    We are not going to see eye to eye here, because your definition of crippling or mutilating someone by removing their ability to murder, maim, or otherwise hurt innocents (in a process where it's just removing their power) is so bizarre and ridiculous it is baffling It is not crippling Moonfish to put him through a process where he has normal human teeth. It is not crippling Tomura to put him through a process where he can't disintegrate objects by touching them and instead has just two normal, human hands. It is completely insane and abominable to assert otherwise.

Not to mention your notion of cutting off people's legs is just a slippery slope fallacy at its worst.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2021-01-19 at 03:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1057

We are not going to see eye to eye here, because your definition of crippling or mutilating someone by removing their ability to murder, maim, or otherwise hurt innocents (in a process where it's just removing their power) is so bizarre and ridiculous it is baffling It is not crippling Moonfish to put him through a process where he has normal human teeth. It is not crippling Tomura to put him through a process where he can't disintegrate objects by touching them. It is completely insane to assert otherwise.
    IT's not bizarre, becuase it's niot just removing their ability to commit murder or other crimes. It is not just taking away their power.

It is removing part of their body.

Quirks are not separate from you;. They are not just special things you can do. They are a part of yu and your minds and bodies are built around using them. This has been repeatedly hammered into the audience. It is explicitly stated that Izuku thinking of One For All as a special power instead of part of his body is part of the reason he has trouble controlling it.

You're not removing someone's ability to inflict violence on someone.

You are cutting off his arms so he can't hit people anymore.

Izuku not having a quirk is considered a disability in-universe, ergo, taking away someone's quirk is rendering them disabled in-universe, and is, therefore, by deifntionon, crippling them. Since it is part of their body, removing it without a valid reason is, by definition, mutilating them

The idea that crippling or mutilating someone so they can be put in a regular prison is more humane than putting them in a super max prison? Normalizing the idea that someone should have everything that makes them unique and special taken from them becuase it's easier than giving them help for their mental health problems? That's what's bizarre. Normalizing the crippling or mutilation of criminal elements or the mentally is a gateway to society becoming a dystopian hellhole.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1058

OrcBarbarianGuy

IT's not bizarre, becuase it's niot just removing their ability to commit murder or other crimes. It is not just taking away their power.

It is removing part of their body.

Quirks are not separate from you;. They are not just special things you can do. They are a part of yu and your minds and bodies are built around using them. This has been repeatedly hammered into the audience. It is explicitly stated that Izuku thinking of One For All as a special power instead of part of his body is part of the reason he has trouble controlling it.

You're not removing someone's ability to inflict violence on someone.

You are cutting off his arms so he can't hit people anymore.

Izuku not having a quirk is considered a disability in-universe, ergo, taking away someone's quirk is rendering them disabled in-universe, and is, therefore, by deifntionon, crippling them. Since it is part of their body, removing it without a valid reason is, by definition, mutilating them

The idea that crippling or mutilating someone so they can be put in a regular prison is more humane than putting them in a super max prison? Normalizing the idea that someone should have everything that makes them unique and special taken from them becuase it's easier than giving them help for their mental health problems? That's what's bizarre. Normalizing the crippling or mutilation of criminal elements or the mentally is a gateway to society becoming a dystopian hellhole.
    It is not cruel or unusual by any rational standard to peacefully and painlessly remove Tomura's city-destroying power. Human Rights do not extend to giving violent offenders the ability to continually violently murder people. Midoriya's quirklessness being portrayed as a disability is also portrayed as a bad thing because being quirkless doesn't matter, what matters is your intentions. Midoriya was only disqualified from being a superhero, just like a kid who can't handle high-Gs can't be a fighter pilot. That's not a disability, that is life. Most quirk-users are legally barred from using their quirks publicly anyhow, so your argument is weak.

When a person breaks the law, the ruling powers of society are given the leeway to determine appropriate punishments. Hyper-individualism like what you're espousing is good for no one but the villains, and just because you have "good" intentions and fear a slippery slope of lobotomizing or maiming people doesn't mean you're right. There are bodies to determine what is cruel and unusual, and living like a normal person just like everyone else is not cruel or unusual.

Also, removing these powers without a valid reason? Tomura is a murderer, Moonfish is a murderer. Removing their powers is totally valid, and again saying it's not is devoid of sanity.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2021-01-19 at 03:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1059

By In-Universe logic, it is crippling them.

Universe, not having a quirk is considered a disability.

In-universe, quirks are considered part of your body, not a separate power that can be picked up and taken away.

In-universe, the existence of quirk removing weapons is considered to be a terrible thing.

In-Universe, taking away Tomura's quirk would be analogous to cutting off his arms and legs.

It would be more merciful to kill him.

And more ethical.

"First they came for the blah blah blah."

Taking away people's quirks--which, as I have repeatedly explained, by in-universe logic--becuase they are murderers or mentally ill might sound nice on paper if you ignore that it's crippling them, but it opens the gateway for some judge or politician with a "tough on crime" stance to suggest that taking away the quirks of less serious offenders is a valid means of social control.

First they're doing it to the Tomuras of the world.

Within fifty years, anyone with a quirk that's perceived as potentially "dangerous" is being depowered for even the prettiest of a misdemeanor.

That's just how it works.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-01-19 at 04:03 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Can I request that, if we must have The Toga Argument 3: Electric Beegalee, we at least bring new arguments to the table?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    No
    [stuff]

Told Ya

What is that line from an anime that annoys some people? “that is hell you are walking into”

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog Day Set To Anime Music
    If to feel pain is my fate
    Then I just have one thing to say
    Here in my scarred-covered heart
    Color will always exist
    I watch the LAST STARDUST, rise up and fly
    DUST TO DUST
    ASH TO ASH into the sky
    These fragments of my hopes and dreams, never die
    May the fragments of our dream reach our destination like a last stardust.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-01-19 at 04:03 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #1061

OrcBarbarianGuy

If it's any consolation, I hate Toga discourse with a passion. I'm just taking a trip through the Twilight Zone today, apparently, with someone who has zero insight about how political systems are structured or function outside of a tumblr rad-post.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2021-01-19 at 04:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's any consolation, I hate Toga discourse with a passion. I'm just taking a trip through the Twilight Zone today, apparently, with someone who has zero insight about how political systems are structured or function outside of a tumblr rad-post.
    That is hell you are walking into.

I am not going to argue German Idealism with you of the nature of the law, authority, sovereignty, state of exception, etc.

People will always disagree

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ettin in the Playground

I am. Very tired of this conversation, so let’s see if I can just drop my points so I can just quote myself if and when this shows up again:

Toga’s compulsion to drink blood is obviously related to the manifestation of her quirk, though there is the question of whether the adults in her life would have recognized it as such. But given that it’s a weird thing she started doing around the age by which science generally agrees that a quirk would usually manifest itself, that should have at least been looked into if her parents were halfway competent at parenting.

In any case, proper psychological counseling (admittedly we can’t be sure how intensive and/or expensive “proper” care would be) and certain allowances (access to blood), would have allowed Toga to grow into a healthy, well-adjusted teenager who just drinks blood every so often.

She did not receive proper counseling. She did not receive any allowances. And she is a serial killer now because she was failed in this way.

That being said... at this point in time Toga does not want to stop killing people. She does not want to change her view about drinking blood. And she does not want to redirect her compulsion in a more productive- or at least, less destructive- way. She is too far gone, and there is little anyone can do to set her on a path to “redemption,” largely because she doesn't want it.

It is important to acknowledge that she is the way she is because of what is effectively an untreated mental illness. But we cannot deny that... she still is the way she is. She needs to be dealt with, and the way things are going, that is going to involve either a padded room or a shallow grave.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2021-01-19 at 06:45 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    She needs to be dealt with, and the way things are going, that is going to involve either a padded room or a shallow grave.
    This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile.
    Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night filled mountain, in itself forms a world.
    The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
    One must imagine [Toga] happy.
    • Walking into the sunset to live her life, somehow figuring out a way of living that is acceptable to her internally, yet does not harm others externally.

-----

[The alternative is a horrible end, such as the Camus word magic I am evoking]

15. - Top - End - #1065

The only thing I have to say on this topic is that, in the credits for thte latest season, the photo of Toga with her school friends has her with red ice cream. There were attempts by her to sate this feeling, and that's both really sad and a very good detail that I enjoyed seeing, as a writer. It is cute and sad.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Troll in the Playground

So I'll just weigh in on the question of quirk removal as a process of criminal justice by saying that not all quirks are equally involved or transformative to a person, a quirk like Bakugo's that just lets him make things explode versus a quirk like Tsuyu's that fundamentally changes her body aren't equal and that has to be acknowledged. That said, Rater, of the three options here for how contain someone like Shigaraki are Execution, Extreme Measures to place him into a position where he can never use his quirk for escape or harm that might probably include spending the remainder of his life with his hands in some crazy special gloves forbiding him their use for the remainder of his natural born life, or Quirk removal. Considering your intense distaste for the final option I am curious what you do consider the more acceptable solution.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2021-01-20 at 05:45 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #1067

I feel like you can find the least bad option terrible and still acknowledge it is the least bad option.

18. - Top - End - #1068

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    So I'll just weigh in on the question of quirk removal as a process of criminal justice by saying that not all quirks are equally involved or transformative to a person, a quirk like Bakugo's that just lets him make things explode versus a quirk like Tsuyu's that fundamentally changes her body aren't equal and that has to be acknowledged. That said, Rater, of the three options here for how contain someone like Shigaraki are Execution, Extreme Measures to place him into a position where he can never use his quirk for escape or harm that might probably include spending the remainder of his life with his hands in some crazy special gloves forbiding him their use for the remainder of his natural born life, or Quirk removal. Considering your intense distaste for the final option I am curious what you do consider the more acceptable solution.
    Honestly, if he can't be talked down I'd just kill him.

As quickly and as cleanly as possible. Much more merciful that permanently removing part of his fundamental being that his mind and body are built around the use of.

Doesn't apply to Toga though. Toga can be contained and provided with controlled amounts of blood to maintain her mental health where it is and while she's contained you can try to convince her that she needs help. As long as the blood isn't coming from people she wants to be she's basically a normal person.

Re: Bakugo... It's oddly coincidental that the boy whose power is exploding regularly explodes in rage over the slightest things.

Almost like there's a ... correlation.

Also, his power is that he sweats nitroglycerine. That might seem subtle but that's a huge, fundamental alteration to his body compared to the human norm.

All quirks seem to have both physiological and psychological aspects, and even the subtle ones it seems to be pretty major. Some are just more obvious than others.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: Bakugo... It's oddly coincidental that the boy whose power is exploding regularly explodes in rage over the slightest things.

Almost like there's a ... correlation.

Also, his power is that he sweats nitroglycerine. That might seem subtle but that's a huge, fundamental alteration to his body compared to the human norm.
    Bakugo is also sweeter than his mom. But he has to be wooed / feel trust, feel safe, and not have the chance of being overexcited by accident to see this sweeter side come out with Bakugou.

Much like how you need to handle TNT with care. And Bakugou when stressed or excited he must be in control, he must have agency, for if he is not paying attention his own quirk can hurt others like the All Might Season 3 training in the gym occurrence. It was realizing how he may hurt others by accident in Season 3 such as depowering All Might that caused this change in perspective.

————

Likewise Bakugou’s mom is overly punishing people for she feels she spoils her husband and son, the women who literally emits sugar water / sugar alcohol as sweat like pheromones. Yes this is not healthy what Mitsuki Bakugo does, but once we realized her quirk is tied to her personality we realize mom has a neurotic and unhealthy coping mechanism much like Toga for she did not find better ways to cope as herself as an adult, but also these traumas occur at the age of five. Most depression and anxiety occur in teen years or adult, and it is more severe when we see it in real life children.

————

What is Ochaco Uraraka original goal to be a hero? It wants to free her parents from earthly responsibilities like her quirk Zero Gravity. Ochaco becomes a better hero in training when she accepts it is okay to be selfish, it is okay to have earthly tethers, and thus it is a good thing her internships are orthogonal for her original goals for she finds more of herself by trying new things and realized she likes them as well.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-01-20 at 09:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1070

I think that last one was a bit of a stretch, but it is possible that was the authors intent, to have everyones quirks be a function of their personality as well. Mr class representative is very fast to try and take control of the class around him, often jumping to conclusions in a hurry, hmmm, mineta is covered in purple balls, what is purple but a darker blue? Im not quite sure how to add jiro or momo to this. maybe jiro is quiet by nature because her quirk deals with sound so much?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground

Momo has anxiety for she can literally do anything, she can create anything, she is a blank slate, this infinite potential gives her performance anxiety for you have to have an idea before you start painting on the blank canvas.

The alternative is to learn to be adaptable on the fly and give yourself permission to be spontaneous and innovate mid brush stroke.

22. - Top - End - #1072

Momo has anxiety for she can literally do anything, she can create anything, she is a blank slate, this infinite potential gives her performance anxiety for you have to have an idea before you start painting on the blank canvas.

The alternative is to learn to be adaptable on the fly and give yourself permission to be spontaneous and innovate mid brush stroke.
    Hmm, that could work, I always interpreted her character as being sort of a princess. Not spoiled, but never lacked for anything including the best teachers and such while also being heaped high with expectations of what her family wanted from her. Sort of a non abusive version of shoto. "You are going to be a doctor when you grow up so everything will be focused on training and teaching you for that day." But too be fair I only got that impression from very early in the series that she was kind of isolated growing up aside from family and tutors. But yeah, I felt her anxiety was from being in a new environment surrounded by different people and expected to take her first official steps towards the goal she was raised for.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Hmm, that could work, I always interpreted her character as being sort of a princess. Not spoiled, but never lacked for anything including the best teachers and such while also being heaped high with expectations of what her family wanted from her. Sort of a non abusive version of shoto. "You are going to be a doctor when you grow up so everything will be focused on training and teaching you for that day." But too be fair I only got that impression from very early in the series that she was kind of isolated growing up aside from family and tutors. But yeah, I felt her anxiety was from being in a new environment surrounded by different people and expected to take her first official steps towards the goal she was raised for.
    Oh she definitely has high expectations and anxiety from feeling "guilty" for not living up to other people's expectations but also the expectations she has now internalized and they are part of how she measures herself.

All these expectations others have, knowing that she, Momo, can literally meet them with her quirk. No the weakest part of her, the most vulnerable part of her, is filling that empty canvas with something and her bringing the story into focus.

[ I am not doing a good job with words here trying to articulate this thing ]

-----

What I am saying is having quirks activate at 5 instead of 11 or 16 or whatever year literally changes your psychology and it is not just "quirk factors." Except quirk factors are also an aspect of it. The quirk factor is an active force in ones life, they want to be used. Yet every character also has trauma* / unique life experiences that they still have not metabolized, for having a superpower at 5, a puberty like experience which a 5 year old is not ready to process...And then the society teaches a person to suppress said experience for with the exception of parents who have the same quirk, you have no one to one mental model to mimic, to play, like dolls as role-models, well this is another way ones quirk factor literally shapes who you are as a person. Japan's MHA society is literally trying their best, but the way they organize society in such an intense "normative" way may be making things worse.

Yes I am an advocate for a "middle way" that is between the Liberation and in some ways ideal traditional society in Japan's MHA culture. Izuku is not just "disabled" when we see the start the manga. No in some ways he is inverted, a person who is not given his gift until the ages of puberty and thus has a different life experience than all of his peers so he can critique society in a way than a romantic outsider is able to do.

24. - Top - End - #1074

OrcBarbarianGuy

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show

So far Gran Torino is still alive, so those saying he might die because of his injuries seem to be wrong for now. Present Mic seems pretty demoralized now, which is pretty realistic - his best friends are dead and maimed.

The prison break arc certainly promises some potential interesting developments: Stain is out, as is Overhaul, and who knows if Gentle and La Brava managed to escape from one of the six other prisons that All for One hit. Spinner really is becoming the heart of the LoV, and his pain over Tomura's loss of autonomy to All for One is poignant.

It seems that Mama Todoroki has come to give Shoto a very much needed "I believe in you" speech. Perhaps now we will know what his hero name will be? Likely something antithetical to the themes Dabi is working with.

No word yet on Hawks.

And Deku seems to be in ATLA end of season 2 territory, on death's door and visiting the spirit world vestiges.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2021-01-24 at 08:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ettin in the Playground

Not about this chapter but a question about representation.

Spoiler: Representation
    Show

With Midnight now dead who are our big female / non-male heroes but more importantly mentors in MHA inside the school and outside the school?

I can think of some, but god I am not comfortable with the small list I have assembled in my head.

26. - Top - End - #1076

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show

So far Gran Torino is still alive, so those saying he might die because of his injuries seem to be wrong for now. Present Mic seems pretty demoralized now, which is pretty realistic - his best friends are dead and maimed.

The prison break arc certainly promises some potential interesting developments: Stain is out, as is Overhaul, and who knows if Gentle and La Brava managed to escape from one of the six other prisons that All for One hit. Spinner really is becoming the heart of the LoV, and his pain over Tomura's loss of autonomy to All for One is poignant.

It seems that Mama Todoroki has come to give Shoto a very much needed "I believe in you" speech. Perhaps now we will know what his hero name will be? Likely something antithetical to the themes Dabi is working with.

No word yet on Hawks.

And Deku seems to be in ATLA end of season 2 territory, on death's door and visiting the spirit world vestiges.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I REALLY don't think Gran Torino survives for long. Like, he's a very old man who was just brutally hospitalized, and on top of that his bones are naturally brittle. If he's not dying of complications in recovery sooner rather than later, he's basically disabled.

I honestly don't think Gentle and La Brava are in any of the targeted prisons. It really felt like Gentle and La Brava were being sorted into a more... leniant parole situation where they need to prove themselves, and not a full on prison. Spinner being the team heart is great, and I love the idea of him and Shigaraki talking about games. Spinner rambling about how good the latest GTA is, especially since it added in a quirk having protagonist, and Shigaraki trying so hard not to go "... I just want to talk about RPGs..."

I could definitely see Shouto coming up with a hero name from this situation. Also god his throat is torched so much he can't speak... I wonder if he'll be able to recover from that.

Look, I'm sorry, but Hawks was burned down to the spine. Even assuming he could conceivably survive this, he's done. Sorry, Hawks fans.

Yeah I figure Dekus is in his mind palace.

Not about this chapter but a question about representation.

Show

With Midnight now dead who are our big female / non-male heroes but more importantly mentors in MHA inside the school and outside the school?

I can think of some, but god I am not comfortable with the small list I have assembled in my head.
    Spoiler
    Show

Outside the school we have: Mt Lady, Uwabami, Ryuko, Mirko, the ***** Cats.

Inside the school we have: . . .

It is not great, and I hope our main cast of female characters get to shine.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-01-25 at 12:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

amused Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

So Two More

Show

Ms. Joke the rival teacher for the other schools whose name I forgot.

And Thirteen, with Thirteen still being alive but has been permanently maimed by decay.

God this is depressing, do not make me count the ratio of male vs female heroes. And in the top ten we only have 2, Dragon Lady Ryuko and Rabbit Hero Mirko.

*Sigh*

Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-01-25 at 12:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1078

So Two More

Show

Ms. Joke the rival teacher for the other schools whose name I forgot.

And Thirteen, with Thirteen still being alive but has been permanently maimed by decay.

God this is depressing, do not make me count the ratio of male vs female heroes. And in the top ten we only have 2, Dragon Lady Ryuko and Rabbit Hero Mirko.

*Sigh*

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot about Ms Joke. God she's either going to be super duper sad about Eraser, or is going to have a LOT of leg jokes to make.

13 is permanently maimed by decay? We saw her recently, she seems like she's recovered actually- and she wasn't attacked by decay, Kurogiri used his portals to make her rip her suit apart with her own black hole.

EDIT: Wait I just went back- holy **** she lost her left arm entirely against Shigaraki's decay wave. Oh god!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-01-25 at 02:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep La Zodiac, I am not feeling great right now 🥴

30. - Top - End - #1080

Yep La Zodiac, I am not feeling great right now 🥴
    I think we can say that Horikoshi succeeded then. This REALLY feels like the end of an era, a sudden smashing impact into the world he's made.