New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I disagree about Deku being the last holder of One for all. For one very specific reason. The narritive conceit of this series is that it's Deku telling the story of how he became the greatest hero. Well Who's he telling this story to? I'm thinking that the entire series is a story that Deku is telling to his successor.
    Here's my thoughts. The entire opening of the series is that Deku is this great heroic kid who happened to be born without powers. This brings up the question what makes a hero, and we see Deku's struggle to become one. But he actually gets it kinda easy. He gets handed the greatest super power of them all. That is neat, but it's answer to the superhero problem is well you either happen to be the luckiest kid in the world or you're born with it and that's all you can do.

This message doesn't fit with Deku's personality at all. We continuously see him strive to improve and actually be heroic. I think the ending would make a lot of narrative sense, if he becomes the greatest hero with All-Mights powers, loses them, and then remains the greatest hero. In a different capacity maybe, but it shifts the moral from "get powers" to "be a good person."

Mind you, this is pure speculation based on narrative themes. And the thing about that is, we can't actually see the throughline of a narrative until the story's over.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Here's my thoughts. The entire opening of the series is that Deku is this great heroic kid who happened to be born without powers. This brings up the question what makes a hero, and we see Deku's struggle to become one. But he actually gets it kinda easy. He gets handed the greatest super power of them all. That is neat, but it's answer to the superhero problem is well you either happen to be the luckiest kid in the world or you're born with it and that's all you can do.
    Yep just ran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    domly handed to him, he certainly did nothing to earn it. And since its such an easy power to use with no downsides.

This message doesn't fit with Deku's personality at all. We continuously see him strive to improve and actually be heroic. I think the ending would make a lot of narrative sense, if he becomes the greatest hero with All-Mights powers, loses them, and then remains the greatest hero. In a different capacity maybe, but it shifts the moral from "get powers" to "be a good person."
    Sure it fits, because Deku still has a massive struggle not only to use the power properly and potentially reach even greater heights then even All Might did with them, but also has the struggle to live up to the legacy he was left. He isn't some random kid who lucked into anything. He works every day to make those powers his own.

We already have that plot literally happening right now, and done well with even more impact since the person in question was born with those powers.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    As I said, he can't be at both places at once. Imagine you have a plan that hinges on not having to deal with All Might.

Or maybe just for revenge/evulz? Like All-Might sends your guys to the slammer, you send his father and/or mother to the grave. He probably had parents when he became All-Might. As far as I see, he's married to his job, so not much leverage there.

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't read the previous pages, plus I wanted to avoid discussing Western comic in what's a thread devoted to MHA. Sorry if it came as jarring.
    My point here is what the return on investment in doing something to All-Might's family, friends, passions? How are you going to make profit, and how will this not bite you in the end?

Remember 80% of society has quirks and so many different people have strong quirks that there are 1000s of heroes with quirks. You have a society of enemies when you target a specific person like that.

There is no financial incentive of doing this. Only a personal incentive of doing this, it is "personal."

And if its about it being personal why doesn't this same logic apply to anyone who may have wronged you? Why specifically All Might?

-----

My point here is there is very little narrative sense of targeting All Might specifically unless you just want to tell a story of All Might being in a tight bind from a narrative / 4th wall perspective. But "in story" targeting All Might is like targeting the Police Commissioner and thus going after his daughter or wife, or his best friend, and so on. Targeting a person with medium social status does not make sense, and if you are going after a person with high status "in universe narrative" you would instead target a politician, or someone who is wealthy, and so on.

And honestly these things happen in our real world reality but they are such a rare occurrence from a numbers standpoint. Do you think quirks will increase or decrease the chance of this happening? I say decrease for even if you have an awesome quirk everyone's else quirk is going to be more versatile than yours. The many is greater than the one.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

I think you're all ignoring my very salient point of "what family does All Might openly have?" because it's basically no one.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think you're all ignoring my very salient point of "what family does All Might openly have?" because it's basically no one.
    Do we know this for sure, or do we just think we know it for it has not been revealed yet?

[Secret revelation on how All Might is related to Shigaraki will occur in 52 chapters, Halloween 2020. Okay not literally 52 chapters for some weeks are taken off for Holidays.]

-----

Yes I see your point, but part of the story is having a smile on your face and being able to laugh.

6. - Top - End - #336

Theory I saw floating around: One of the previous wielders of One For All had n "inspiration/buff others" power and after a few generations merged with and adapting to One For All's power it'll manifest in Deku as the ability to take a small portion of his Stockpile of power and give it to someone else to temporarily boost the power of their Quirk.

The same source also suggested that one of the Early wielders, back when One For All wasn't worth much, would have effectively been quirkless due to a low utility power but after all this time the "joke" power has evolved to something devastating, but there wasn't a given example.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

No offence meant. But i dont give anything for that sort of unfounded speculation.
    In my eyes its waste time.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #338

If you think that making and discussing predictions on the media is a waste of time, you're basically saying that there's no point in discussing the media.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If you think that making and discussing predictions on the media is a waste of time, you're basically saying that there's no point in discussing the media.
    Not to overly defend Khaine, but he was saying "that specific sort of unfounded" prediction. He wants Cold Hard Fact based theorizing.

10. - Top - End - #340

Okay, here are the facts: No matter what happens, Deku will be the World's greatest hero of his generation. We know this.

Deku will get five additional quirks in addition to the two he has no--possibly more if certain theories are true--something coming from All For One's implied connection to the Collective being most plausible, but that's neither here nor there.

The show is emphasizing teamwork in favor of the previous generations' reliance on a single hero.

Would not then the greatest hero be the one who can make other hero's greater?

Is that substantial enough for the inspiration/buff theory?

Here's another theory, from the top of my head, similarity to existing theories is coincidental.

The story seems to be building up to Shigaraki as the final big bad and Deku's evil Counterpart as All For One was to the previous wielders of One For All.

We appear to be coming up on that soon, considering that the Leauge of Villains just merged with the Meta Liberation Army and Shigaraki mastered his Decay Quirk, giving him a significant degree of personal power and social influence and resources.

Deku isn't ready to fight that. Even after all this time he's barely got the hang of his powers and is far from tapping their full potential. Short of duct-taping Eri to his back, there's no way he can reliably fight at full power for an extended period of time.

He's creative, with a keen analytical mind, but that's not gonna work against an Army of villains whose leader can destroy entire city blocks at a time.

But here's the thing: Sir Nighteye predicted that All-Might would be dead within two years. Considering Nighteye's track record(exactly one debunked prediction) and that All-Might is missing several vital organs, it's highly likely that despite his claim that he won't die until he's finished training Deku, that he's gonna succumb sooner rather than later.

I doubt it'll be a big thing since he's retired from superheroics. Most likely, he'll just go to bed one night and not wake up in the morning.

Probably after finding something substantial about a previous user of One For All that would have really helped Deku that he was planning to tell him in the morning.

Blah bla blah funeral, blah blah blah memorial service, blah blah blah a nation mourns, so on.

A few chapters later, Deku finds himself in a situation where he really wishes All-Might was there and... Poof: That vestige of All-Might that was already forming is finished. He'll allways be there for Deku.

And becuase Deku knows Allmight personally, it's far easier to get into contact with him specifically.

Which makes it easier to get into contact with the other spirits. More reliably than a few minutes at seemingly random times.

Which Means that Deku can ask how they got the hang of One For All's power.

Their individual methods may not work for him, especially the earlier users who had far less power to get used to, but with his Keen Analytical mind, Deku can figure out the common threads and use it to get the hang of the power much more swiftly than he's been doing it.

Or else ask them how they used the stockpile, and take bits and pieces of that and make it work for him.

Something that will even the playing field between him and his destined foe. Let him make more headway in mastering his power without crippling himself.

Is there enough data to make that sound plausible?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe?

One For All does seem like the type of Quirk that can pull off becoming a superheroic Avatar past lives sort of deal. the only difference being that the user has to find a successor themselves within their lifetime rather than let the reincarnation do its thing, so its more active and such.

while gaining the power to empower others....I can see that. especially given how the show makes it a point to show how other heroes can be great to and that Deku while the main character, isn't the only one thats important. like, Deku being able to empower his friends while also coming up with plans to use those quirks effectively as a team, which he already does, would make sense for the kind of person he is: sees a Quirk goes "hey, if this were more powerful, they could totally solve this" and just like, give them a boost to help them solve this situation real fast.

that and given how MHA is Naruto 2.0, and one of Naruto's late game powers was being shared his kyuubi chakra to empower everyone, its pretty in theme with the kind of protagonist that Deku is. its probably going to be late game, something that he can do on top of a bunch of other things he can already do, but he can probably get it, since it plays to his strengths and themes so well and would firmly establish the difference between him and Shigaraki by showing how he doesn't draw strength from his friends but empowers everyone around him to truly be heroes to do his part as a part of a greater whole rather than just be this singular hero other protagonists like him tend to turn out like, because there is a lot of hints in MHA that a second All-Might simply isn't possible. that you just can't catch the lightning in the bottle twice and replicate this charismatic all-smiling selfless moral hero who does it all on his own two shoulders, and going forward more heroes have to hold themselves to higher standards in general to make up for it.

we had an entire exam or test about teaching how the heroes of this generation should be more like a team in how they operate, how they should work as a team and smile and working efficiently to save people, that sort of thing, and that All-Might can't be replicated. that tells me that Deku becoming some second All-Might and solving everything by punching it, simply is never going to cut it, its not going to happen. He is going to become something more, something else that can work with this new generation of heroes that shoulder the burden of being moral selfless heroes together, rather than All-Might being the singular hero that everyone looks up to while greedy jerks get a paycheck for doing whatever is considered passable.

and the theory that he is going to get a power to share his energy with others when he is already someone really perceptive of the quirks around him and able to tell others how to use them to best get out of various situations, just makes a lot of sense, its enhancing who he already is and enabling him to use his best leadership traits even more rather than bypassing the need for others to help. it would be powerful in the right way to make sure MHA stays able to keep showing off the quirks of everyone around Deku, emphasize that his power is only as good as his ability to work with others and for others to work with him, rather than him becoming a second All for One and just beating up the bad guy, because that is basically the only alternative if he wants to defeat Shigaraki.

that and the names would fit, because Deku would literally wield the ONE POWER for ALL HEROES. One FOR ALL, while Shigaraki would be wielding ALL THE POWER for ONE PERSON- All for One.

it just fits so well that....yeah its probably going to happen. I'd nail it as being more likely than OFA ATLA-esque past lives theory, but given what happened with Deku's match against awesome mind control kid, I wouldn't rule that out from happening either.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #342

Uh, Raz?

The "ATLA past lives" thing has already happened.

There's All For One's Brother upfront, Nana to the side, with Black Whip's original user her opposite, the sixth user(bowl cut) and an unknown user above them, the flame is the portion of All-Might that's already been passed on, a partly formed Vestige, and two unknown users in Silhouette at the top.

Deku has spoken with them multiple times--the Brother explained the origin of One For All in detail and talked about All For One's backstory and the bald guy with goggles explained how his quirk worked and reassured Deku that they were all behind him.

I'm speculating that when All Might finally kicks it and the last of his essence transfers over, Deku will have an easier time getting into contact with his spirit specifically and from there will be able to more easily communicate with the spirits and thus, learn from them, and applying his analysis of quirks to how they used One For All and/or Mastered it will let him figure out how to master it himself.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

aaaw man, I got spoiled on that then, I don't read the manga, I'm still waiting for the current anime season to get long enough so I can binge it....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, since we're up on weird theories, I've seen the idea thrown around that since the soles of the feet sweat as much as the palms of the hand, it would be yheoretically possible for Bakugou to make explosions from his feet as well. However (un)likely that is, if it's ever going to happen, this would be the arc for it.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Well, since we're up on weird theories, I've seen the idea thrown around that since the soles of the feet sweat as much as the palms of the hand, it would be yheoretically possible for Bakugou to make explosions from his feet as well. However (un)likely that is, if it's ever going to happen, this would be the arc for it.
    Entirely possible, but given how explosive nitro is I feel it's more likely that it's only his palms that sweat the explosion stuff, otherwise he'd have probably exploded a bunch of his shoes off by now. That being said, it's entirely possible, and it'd be an interesting thing to learn from Endeavor (explosion feet to fly, like how Endeavor jets fire out of his feet to fly).

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Not to overly defend Khaine, but he was saying "that specific sort of unfounded" prediction. He wants Cold Hard Fact based theorizing.
    Correct. I can even settle for lukewarm, firm facts.
    But this is to much guesswork. Might as well guess on the next villain quirk to be revealed.

Besides that. Then i actually think a Quirk-boosting Quirk is less likely than just about anything else.
    The power scaling her has not yet gone quite as bonkers as Naruto, and i hope it wont.
    So i wont use that as basis for comparison.

And the issue with such a Quirk, is that it implicitly diminishes those around him.
    Think about the underlying message?

"You are not skilled or strong enough to play on this level without an artificial power boost"
    Thats saying people around him are not strong enough without him.
    And something that moves away from an increased importance of teams.
    Instead of towards it.

Entirely possible, but given how explosive nitro is I feel it's more likely that it's only his palms that sweat the explosion stuff, otherwise he'd have probably exploded a bunch of his shoes off by now. That being said, it's entirely possible, and it'd be an interesting thing to learn from Endeavor (explosion feet to fly, like how Endeavor jets fire out of his feet to fly).
    Its certainly possible as a comming power upgrade for Bakugo.
    Would entirely depend on if he got the same type of sweat glands on his feet as he does on his hands.
    After all. If it were -all- his sweat glands that excreted a nitroglycerin-like substance.
    Then he would have blown all his clothes off ages ago.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

I figured that he sweats nitroglycerin all over, just that he flexes some kind of muscle in his hand to ignite the sparks. The rest of the body doesn't have that many muscles that we have such complete control over, so he can't do it there.

Well, if I'm remembering correctly, The muscles that move the eye are the same or similar in number to the muscles that move the hand, so there's a hilarious mental image.

But if he figures out to flex his foot muscles in a similar vein, he might be able to do the same with his feet.

Another hilarious image, since he hasn't been putting his foot explosions to work, he can only do the little fireworks he could do as a 4-year-old for a while.

18. - Top - End - #348

I figured that he sweats nitroglycerin all over, just that he flexes some kind of muscle in his hand to ignite the sparks. The rest of the body doesn't have that many muscles that we have such complete control over, so he can't do it there.

Well, if I'm remembering correctly, The muscles that move the eye are the same or similar in number to the muscles that move the hand, so there's a hilarious mental image.

But if he figures out to flex his foot muscles in a similar vein, he might be able to do the same with his feet.

Another hilarious image, since he hasn't been putting his foot explosions to work, he can only do the little fireworks he could do as a 4-year-old for a while.
    Kirishima calls it "Bakugo's party feet" and every single person in the dorm gets thrown out the window by how hard Bakugo kicks him in the face.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-11-04 at 02:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Theory I saw floating around: One of the previous wielders of One For All had n "inspiration/buff others" power and after a few generations merged with and adapting to One For All's power it'll manifest in Deku as the ability to take a small portion of his Stockpile of power and give it to someone else to temporarily boost the power of their Quirk.

The same source also suggested that one of the Early wielders, back when One For All wasn't worth much, would have effectively been quirkless due to a low utility power but after all this time the "joke" power has evolved to something devastating, but there wasn't a given example.
    Possibly, but I think the work would be more interesting without that little twist. For me the whole point of the show is demonstrating how it's Deku that's important, not the power. It's Deku that keeps breaking his body whenever he needs to. It's Deku that strategizes in his free time. It's Deku that trains above and beyond what even his teachers want him to do. And it's Deku that inspires others with his example.

Pulling the rug out from under him and going "Ha, it was all the power" weakens the story.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

I am now questioning how normal bodily stress reactions will impact Bakugou for he has "sweaty palms," which is a normal biological reaction but now the sweaty palms cause explosions.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I am now questioning how normal bodily stress reactions will impact Bakugou for he has "sweaty palms," which is a normal biological reaction but now the sweaty palms cause explosions.
    For one, he can control how much he sweats to some degree. Or at the very least turn up the output to make the huge ones when he has to. Maybe he can turn it down as well.

For two, he has to will it to explode, for the most part.

For three, the majority of the exceptions to the second point are bouts of anger and possibly surprise, and while loud, they aren't really that destructive.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-11-04 at 08:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

For one, he can control how much he sweats to some degree. Or at the very least turn up the output to make the huge ones when he has to. Maybe he can turn it down as well.

For two, he has to will it to explode, for the most part.

For three, the majority of the exceptions to the second point are bouts of anger and possibly surprise, and while loud, they aren't really that destructive.
    He can control it when he is in a natural state where he is in the "zone", but part of sweaty palms it is that it activates automatically despite you being in the zone or not in the zone for it is part of the Autonomic nervous system. You do not really control what happens when these triggers occur. [Borrows a list from wikipedia.]

heart rate, digestion, respiratory rate, pupillary response, urination, and sexual arousal.[2] This system is the primary mechanism in control of the fight-or-flight response.

Now a days we further subdivide this system into 3 parts Sympathetic (activated during stress), Parasympathetic (activated during rest but it has a dozen of things including stuff like sexual arousal, tears, and so on) and Enteric (gastrointestinal tract.)

-----

My point I am trying to make before the definitions is Bakugou may have learned to turn on this system at will to fight, but the system existed prior to be used in an unconscious fashion / barely conscious fashion in all humans. Has Bakugou learned mastery of it where he can have some subliminal control much like Superman has learned to not accidentally punch humans into another state when he gives them a high five?

And let's say Bakugou has general control down pat, does that control change when he is stressed or some other "strange" emotional response such as Rogue's powers in X-Men under the most recent retcon of the series? [Probably not the best example for this is a recent development and there has been a half a dozen different takes over the almost 4 decades of Rogue. But I trust you to understand my point as a general principle.]

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Bakugou has fine-tuned his abilities to the point that he can make explosions that are more light and sound than heat and force. And even though "Katsuki Bakugou" and "emotional regulation" dont feel like they belong in the same sentence, the boy at least knows what he's feeling, and I wouldn't put it past him to just consciously turn down the sweatworks when he's in certain non-life-threatening emotional situations.

EDIT: My main concern with the "sweats nitroglycerin" thing is that he handles food bare-handed. He definitely gave his whole class headaches chopping up then carrots
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-11-04 at 10:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like i need to correct people a little here.
    He sweats a nitroglycerin-like substance that can be detonated at will.
    And -not- actual nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin is extremely volatile.

So if he was sweating that then he would no longer have his own hair or eyebrows.
    And likely blow his own costume off several times during a fight, as any impact,
    from for example punching a sweaty Bakugo, would trigger an explosion.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I feel like i need to correct people a little here.
    He sweats a nitroglycerin-like substance that can be detonated at will.
    And -not- actual nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin is extremely volatile.

So if he was sweating that then he would no longer have his own hair or eyebrows.
    And likely blow his own costume off several times during a fight, as any impact,
    from for example punching a sweaty Bakugo, would trigger an explosion.
    Eww, makes sense, but eww.

So Bakugou release ectoplasmic psionic sweat all the time and it is everywhere. Bakugou just chooses to blow it up via conscious thought for he has psionic control over it, or it quickly evaporates and dispels automatically after an automatic timer?

Is that what you are saying Lord Khaine? If so insert ghostbusters 1 image [here instead of this text.]

26. - Top - End - #356

Eww, makes sense, but eww.

So Bakugou release ectoplasmic psionic sweat all the time and it is everywhere. Bakugou just chooses to blow it up via conscious thought for he has psionic control over it, or it quickly evaporates and dispels automatically after an automatic timer?

Is that what you are saying Lord Khaine? If so insert ghostbusters 1 image [here instead of this text.]
    I've always read it as more that his sweat has the properties of nitro, and that by flexing his muscles or cracking his knuckles or by flexing a certain way, it causes the sweat to explode.

Consider that his gauntlets collect the sweat and can be fired like a cannon by removing a grenade pin. The pin probably simulates the same sort of body-reaction Bakugo has to perform to fire off his own blasts.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've always read it as more that his sweat has the properties of nitro, and that by flexing his muscles or cracking his knuckles or by flexing a certain way, it causes the sweat to explode.

Consider that his gauntlets collect the sweat and can be fired like a cannon by removing a grenade pin. The pin probably simulates the same sort of body-reaction Bakugo has to perform to fire off his own blasts.
    I am going to have to reread the manga chapters later on, not now, when I have a free time but I think Lord_Khaine is right, just looking over the wiki chapters real quick during a lunch break.

• Mom has a sweat quirk, and she just releases sweat all the time and doesn't really have control over it. Yet her sweat is pleasant smelling, almost sugary, and it hydrates her skin so she looks younger than her age. Now this next part is not technically part of her sweat quirk just me noticing patterns notice Bakugou's mom has a very reactive, sustaining, and expressive emotional temperament and she may suddenly have an intense emotion and feels the urge to perform it.
    • Dad has a sweat quirk, he produces sweat naturally, and when the sweat was produced he can do physical things with his body such as muscle movements with his hands [think somatic components] and the sweat he was already producing naturally in very small quantities will explode.
    • Bakugou has a fusion of both quirks. He unconsciously is always secreting lots of sweat, but whether he activates it is up to him thus he can selectively make explosions. Pretty much Bakugou has Iron Man repulsors in his hands except the cosmetics is fire and explosions.

Sidenote I want to see more of Bakugou's mom's interactions in other situations and thus learn more of her personality, behavior, and what makes her tick. I would not be suprised if Bakugou is annoyed at Izuku / Deku for in some ways Izuku reminds him of Bakugou's mom. By which I mean when Izuku is stressed, annoyed, intense emotions, girls, figuring stuff out, etc and we as viewers / readers see that super over done anime drawings like he is over thinking, or he feels afraid such as the spoiler image below.

Spoiler: 3 Izuku Gifs
    Show

Well when Bakugou sees these behaviors in Izuku he is reminded of his mom and he is thus annoyed. There is the right instinct in Izuku, but Izuku is also doing excess movements, excess thoughts, no grace, no technique and all so overdramatic that just irritate Bakugou. Everything Izuku does just irritates Katsuki Bakugou. The sloppiness of Izuku annoys Bakugou for all he is seeing is "noise" with Izuku and not enough signal and it just confuses and irritates Katsuki Bakugou.

Holy ****, while writting this I just realized the pun with Katsuki part of Bakugou's name. There are multiple ways you can have similar sounding names but writing it with different symbols and the name of a person could have a different meaning. Aka I am talking puns and homophones. Bakugou's name sounds could have been written 克己 which is the same sounds / similar sounds but would mean Self-Control / Self-Denial, but when you write it 勝己 it means beautiful / excellent / skilled. This is because Bakugou's name combining the kanji for 己 which means self / yourself, and 勝 which means "to win" or "to be superior to."

I am laughing for this dichotomy is Bakugou in a nutshell, his daily struggle is summed up by a pun on his name, like if somehow Aaron vs Erin the two names would have radically different meanings, or Chris vs Kris.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-11-05 at 06:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Sidenote I want to see more of Bakugou's mom's interactions in other situations and thus learn more of her personality, behavior, and what makes her tick. I would not be suprised if Bakugou is annoyed at Izuku / Deku for in some ways Izuku reminds him of Bakugou's mom.
    Bakugou's mum is him but more. She's aggressive and short tempered and, frankly, borderline abusive.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Bakugou's mum is him but more. She's aggressive and short tempered and, frankly, borderline abusive.
    I would do away with the "borderline," personally.

Like... I get what Horikoshi was going for- some kind of Izumi Curtis type figure- but it really falls off the "this is actually really bad" cliff when Bakugou has a literal breakdown over something that she literally said to his face.

And also she slapped him twice in front of his teachers and they did nothing. (Something something alleged Japanese Cultural attitude toward family issues stayong within the family)

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I would do away with the "borderline," personally.

Like... I get what Horikoshi was going for- some kind of Izumi Curtis type figure- but it really falls off the "this is actually really bad" cliff when Bakugou has a literal breakdown over something that she literally said to his face.

And also she slapped him twice in front of his teachers and they did nothing. (Something something alleged Japanese Cultural attitude toward family issues stayong within the family)
    But here is the thing. Do we take that scene literally or do we understand things are over the top and thus certain styles of hunor can fly in fiction but do the same behavior in reality and this stuff is not cool.

Here is the thing I think many works like MHA, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc are not consitent in this regards one moment they are X and one moment they are Y. The way I read that scene as if FMA Edward was doing one of his thought / image bubbles and things go surreal / mental projection. Except it is different here in MHA I thought it was to show that Bakugou family have their own flow and it is different than many others but it works i this fictional world.

In real life social services would be called.,