New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was a series I think had a limited shelf life from the start though, and certainly benefits from not being stretched out to long. I am interested in seeing how this ending might give hints to how various characters might show up in the future of the main comic.
    Spoiler
    Show

While this IS true, I think having a "pre-series fun hero adventures and world building for our principle side characters in the main series" is a thing that should just keep going. Like, we got Eraserhead backstory time, and that was just a really fun small arc that could have really happened at any moment during Vigilantes, beyond the framing story. I think having more of that stuff could be cool!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

While this IS true, I think having a "pre-series fun hero adventures and world building for our principle side characters in the main series" is a thing that should just keep going. Like, we got Eraserhead backstory time, and that was just a really fun small arc that could have really happened at any moment during Vigilantes, beyond the framing story. I think having more of that stuff could be cool!
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, but I think calling that Vigilantes would feel off if it moved over to other characters stories. I think it might be more likely that a different spinoff happens at some point to cover that kind of thing under a different name.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #483

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Mirko shows she's one of the series strongest characters, and also that she is genuinely, horrifyingly unsafe with her body. Goodness!

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There are at least two more important limbs she could have lost, all things considered.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

So, guess where I'm at on Adult Swim?

"She heals by rewinding me? So I just have to keep smashing myself up at a greater speed than she heals me".

The hero that kills themself, plus the healer that destroys what she heals, becomes an unstoppable force for carnage and destruction :-).
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mirko is quickly becoming one of my top 3 favorite MHA characters!

Cool, confident, sexy and freaking badass! What's not to like?

She even manages to make a seemingly silly quirk ("rabbit") look awesome!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2020-03-05 at 04:40 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Thats because she doesnt have the seemingly silly rabbit quirk.
    She got a massive amount of super speed, strenght, durability and agility.
    As well as for good measure inhuman sense.
    So of course she looks awesome.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats because she doesnt have the seemingly silly rabbit quirk.
    She got a massive amount of super speed, strenght, durability and agility.
    As well as for good measure inhuman sense.
    So of course she looks awesome.
    Nods the Rabbit part is just something to organize around. You get physical stats upgrades that are relatively the most common in comics (strength, speed, durability, agility) but the Rabbit part chooses Mirko's fighting style and makes it memorable. She can close the distance and attack with explosive force.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Nods the Rabbit part is just something to organize around. You get physical stats upgrades that are relatively the most common in comics (strength, speed, durability, agility) but the Rabbit part chooses Mirko's fighting style and makes it memorable. She can close the distance and attack with explosive force.
    I know that. Given that I have more than 2 brain cells.

My point is that she (or rather, the writer) gets to make rabbit-based super-powers look cool.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2020-03-05 at 07:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

I know that. Given that I have more than 2 brain cells.

My point is that she (or rather, the writer) gets to make rabbit-based super-powers look cool.
    I am sorry I do not get it then. Are you doubting rabbits were cool (rabbits are good friends for humans), or that rabbits super-powers would be cool? I do not see how it would be surprising for rabbits are great!

11. - Top - End - #491

My personal favorite part is the qualifier of "but better".

It's like how Tsu can do "anything any frog can do" and Orca can do "anything a killer whale can do, but on land". Because it allows for some fun playing around with the quirk; ie, Gang being able to swim through the ground and make echolocation stun blasts like real Orca's can do... only they have to be in water to do those things.

The implication is that if a rabbit had the capability of driving a minivan, she'd be a race car driver. Likewise, if a frog could tap dance, Tsu could tap dance equal to that frog's skill level.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I am sorry I do not get it then. Are you doubting rabbits were cool (rabbits are good friends for humans), or that rabbits super-powers would be cool? I do not see how it would be surprising for rabbits are great!
    Rabbits aren't particularly cool animals, IMO. Cute, fluffy and useful, sure... But cool? Rarely.

Most bunny-type characters in anime are little more than cutesy anime girls who maybe can run a bit fast and jump high. It's rare to see one taking rabbit attributes to extreme distances and using them in a cool, badass way.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

Rabbits aren't particularly cool animals, IMO. Cute, fluffy and useful, sure... But cool? Rarely.

Most bunny-type characters in anime are little more than cutesy anime girls who maybe can run a bit fast and jump high. It's rare to see one taking rabbit attributes to extreme distances and using them in a cool, badass way.
    Rabbits are just a variant form of cat, a small animal that is low maintenance as a pet. A pet which does not need others, simultaneously is extremely social with its ingroup like many breeds of cat. (I am referring to the people who feed an indoor cat when I say the cat is social with humans. Also there is lots of differences between cats and rabbits as low maintenance pets, yet there are some similarities.)

While rabbits are low maintenance they still have all these “angry” behaviors such as bunny boxing, charging / leaping, biting, grunting, lunging, thumping, bunny butt, digging, hind leg foot flicking, etc. Rabbits are territorial animals where they have both "private" territory and territory they recognize as public / shared. Rabbits also get aggressive when they are stressed / do not feel safe but also when something violates their private territory and they do no approve of it.

The only reason why humans are dismissive of rabbits is they are a 10 lb animal, yet a rabbit the size of a horse that would do the same behaviors as a normal rabbit would be a whole lot scary than a traditional horse. This is because a rabbit and horse do many of the same behaviors, but Rabbits do it more often and have a greater range of angry behaviors. To us humans we see this as rabbits pouting, but we are also 10x to 20x the size of a Rabbit, while it is the opposite with a horse which is 8x larger than humans.

So maybe I just do not get it, but I know enough about rabbits that if you were to make a rabbit superhero and do comic book nonsense of having the strength of an animal, speed, etc of an animal (looking at you spider-man) it would obviously to me be an interesting character.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This is a weird turn for the conversation, but OK.

The main reason rabbits aren't considered cool is because they are universally prey. And not even cool prey that fights back. Their only real defense is running and hiding, which isn't generally considered a badass activity.

Now, sure... If you just give them a huge increase in attributes without considering the changes necessary to support that increase, they can do absurd stuff... But that holds true of pretty much every small animal.

In any case, again... My only point is that rabbit-like characters are generally cute, but little else. It's cool to see a character who has rabbit physical abilities taken to the extreme and use them in a badass way.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

silly quirk ("rabbit")
    silly rabbit quirk.
    Since nobody said it yet:

Trix are for kids.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

In any case, again... My only point is that rabbit-like characters are generally cute, but little else. It's cool to see a character who has rabbit physical abilities taken to the extreme and use them in a badass way.
    And the counter point became, that its not rabbit physical abilities.
    Its general physical abilities. When you got extreme physical abilities, then its easy to be badass.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And the counter point became, that its not rabbit physical abilities.
    Its general physical abilities. When you got extreme physical abilities, then its easy to be badass.
    That's like saying Spider-Man doesn't have spider abiliities.

It"s rabbit abilities taken to super-hero levels. She seems to have super strong legs and super quick reflexes. Probably can hear really well too.

She seems to be overall strong, but other than her legs, that is probably more due to living in mangá world and training.
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Why are the chapters not being released faster?...I whine!
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-03-07 at 04:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499

Jackrabbits are where its at! Those suckers can travel at 40 mph and jump like 10 feet per hop. Scale that up to human size and you have some serious power. Spiderman would get stomped flat. His only advantages being the spider sense and wall climbing but since a human sized jackrabbit could probably reach "leap tall buildings with a single bound" levels of jumping, not as big a deal. Spiderman might lift a car, jackrabbitman could punt it across town. Or pancake it with a single stomp.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Jackrabbits are where its at! Those suckers can travel at 40 mph and jump like 10 feet per hop. Scale that up to human size and you have some serious power. Spiderman would get stomped flat. His only advantages being the spider sense and wall climbing but since a human sized jackrabbit could probably reach "leap tall buildings with a single bound" levels of jumping, not as big a deal. Spiderman might lift a car, jackrabbitman could punt it across town. Or pancake it with a single stomp.
    *Nods*

Echoing Traab, via linking to BBC Earth and a 4 minute video they did on the subject. Here is spoilers in text if you do not want to watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGludGaPKag

Spoiler: Hare vs Wolf Pack
    Show

Scenario 1: 2 Wolves vs Arctic Hare. The hare and 2 wolves are roughly the same speed and the hare is more maneuverable and thus he escapes. There are close calls but each time the Hare can pivot and change angles while still keeping almost its maximum speed.
    Scenario 1: 4 Wolves vs a different Arctic Hare. The Hare is still as fast as the wolves and is more maneuverable but he can't change directions without running into the pack tactics of the 3 other wolves.

So yeah with superhero logic Rabbit powers are awesome, and to the readers it also looks interesting.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    You know there are spiders capable of leaping literally tens of time their size in quick succession, right?

Now... Admitedly, that's only possible precisely because they are so small. But comic books kinda ignore that and usually go with the "X times own size/weight".

Anyway... This is such a pointless discussion. Why are we debating the "coolness" of rabbits?
    Homebrew Stuff:

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyway... This is such a pointless discussion. Why are we debating the "coolness" of rabbits?
    Tribalism similar to Sports and how people can be fantacial to what they care about.

Some of us appreciate our / other peoples rabbits, and we respect our furry friends in a very personal way.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tribalism similar to Sports and how people can be fantacial to what they care about.

Some of us appreciate our / other peoples rabbits, and we respect our furry friends in a very personal way.
    I mean... I like rabbits. Had quite a few of them as pets during childhood, when I lived in a house rather than apartment. I just wouldn't call them "badass".

In any case, if we really want a top-notch leaping hero, it should be some sort of grasshopper-man or something. Some species of those little bastards can jump tens of times their body length and reach peak acceleration of up to 20 freaking G!!!! I vaguely remember a documentary showing desert locusts' leap exerting a force of almost 15 N (that's more than enough to lift 3 lb. Compare that to the size and mass of a grasshopper)!

Then again, we have fleas... Who can't jump as fast or as far, but if we go by "X times their body length", they win, since they jump something like 200x their own body length.

...But then we don't get the long furry ears and cute cotton tail.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2020-03-07 at 09:16 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: New Chapter, Yar Har Fiddle-de-dee
    Show
    I'm not sure what I like more, Cementoss finally getting to show off, or Kamina-ri. Like. He does the pose and everything you can't tell me that wasn't on purpose.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Spoiler: New Chapter, Yar Har Fiddle-de-dee
    Show
    I'm not sure what I like more, Cementoss finally getting to show off, or Kamina-ri. Like. He does the pose and everything you can't tell me that wasn't on purpose.
    I know! Thus this

Why are the chapters not being released faster?...I whine!

26. - Top - End - #506

New ChapteR!

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaminari being a badass and absorbing electricity makes sense and is cool and oh man ship teasing with Jirou. That rules, that entire segment rules.

And also... seeing Hawk's from Twice's perspective is ****ing horrifying. This is gonna hurt.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You know Rabbit lass would be a perfect teacher for Deku, he's really going to need to step up his instinctual fighting rather than his more thoughtful style if he is going to be able to keep up with the LoVs.

28. - Top - End - #508

New chapter! For both Hero proper AND Vigilantes!

Academia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The two panel cut of RE:Destro going from perfectly happy to SWIMMING in stress is hilarious. Less hilarious is... the genuinely sad confrontation between Hawks and Twice, as Twice despairs at how he really is kind of a weak link emotionally to the League of Villains. Hawks tries to convince him that he can get help if he comes quietly, which... I mean he CAN, Hawks is being genuine here. But because of this betrayal and the pain it causes, Twice doesn't care. "Oh, you don't want to fight me? Well good for you! I'd GIVE MY SOUL TO MAKE THE LEAGUE HAPPY!" and he begins Sad Man's Parade once more.

And through all of this, Dabi is making his way through the hide out, a HORRIFIC slasher-grin on his face. God I love this series.

Vigilantes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Queen Bee!Pop does her thing, giving us a rap version of the Naru Fest store theme which is ****ing hilarious a concept except for the part that it's accompanied by a lot of bomb bees exploding the place and almost killing people. And also, tragically, beating the **** out of Koichi. Poor Crawler ;_;. It's also a lot to take in, since Queen Bee seems to be able to like... tap into her host's memories as well, it's super creepy because this really does feel like "Evil Pop Step" even though we all know a horrible bee monster is controlling her body like a puppet.

Also, the fact that she's "flying" by occasionally jumping off bees is hilarious. I love that little detail.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Barbarian in the Playground

The latest anime episode earned top marks from me. It took one of the manga parts that had more to gain by being adapted, and went all in. Loved it.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    The latest anime episode earned top marks from me. It took one of the manga parts that had more to gain by being adapted, and went all in. Loved it.
    It is one of those episodes that make it clear why I love this series so much... Not only it's exciting, it has a lot of heart and amazing characters. And the anime does its best to honor that. They took what could have easily been treated as a minor side-adventure and treated it with the same passion as any of the "main" story-lines.

The fact they spent so much time, effort and budget on the fight with Gentle Criminal and, even more incredibly, the school festival is honestly amazing. Like most posters in this thread, I had already read this arc in the manga a long time ago, but I still felt myself tear up a bit when Eri smiled for the first. The visual of the shadows around her being dissipated was really well done... Perhaps I'm growing soft in my old age.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2020-03-22 at 12:38 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff: