New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Now that I think about it, Quirk Marriage is specifically defined as marrying for the purpose of creating children with strong quirks. You know, eugenics, basically.

Considering quirk compatibility as a factor when pursuing a relationship with someone would be a thing, but that just seems like it would be a standard precaution.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

It does not matter for we are talking details that we are not being made aware of.

But outlawing Quirk Marriages probably does not deal with the Quirk Marriage part directly but stuff like reverse Dowries being seen as bribes, nepotism, etc.

If it is not just "shame based" but some form of legal basis of you can be guilty of something, you can easily set up indirect ways to measure it and make those indirect ways illegal such as paying off the family if you get married.

MHA culture is not the US, not Japan, but something else for if it is an actual functioning society so much will have to change in order to accommodate quirks, even if the MHA world feels "familiar enough" that it is semi like our world.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    True, he is trying to atone for being one of the worst parents in media.
    Dozen of anime dads wants to speak with you.

Not to mention Father of the Year from Made in Abyss.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post

Plenty of Anime Moms as well really, Ragyo Kiryuin is Yujiro bad parent.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

New developments occur, points to the last 4 chapters.
    New development, really?
    It kinda seems like completely the same arguments repeated since last time. By more or less the same people.
    Oh well, its basically aligment debates from d&d all over.

I feel like if something is considered an extreme social taboo, that's effectively illegal.
    I would say its more accurate to call it ineffectively illegal.
    Since if you want to do it, all people can do is wrink their brow at you. Or rage at you on the internet.

Now that I think about it, Quirk Marriage is specifically defined as marrying for the purpose of creating children with strong quirks. You know, eugenics, basically.

Considering quirk compatibility as a factor when pursuing a relationship with someone would be a thing, but that just seems like it would be a standard precaution.
    Its actually not eugenics. Its not even close to being that. Eugenics is a large scale program to improve the genetic stock of your population.
    Generally by excluding undesireable traits, and by promoting desireable ones.

If you want a more accurate term i would suggest selective breeding.

Except thats not even that fitting. Honestly this isnt in any way different from what goes on in nature.
    An extremely large part of natural mating, is all about showing you have the superior genes to pass on to your potential mate's offspring.

People should feel free to call it icky or so. But its not eugenics. And its very natural.

And somewhere far, far ahead the Emperor of Mankind is waiting for them to catch up
    Or well dont know if Made in Abyss is worse. Dont think you can claim Endeavor is. He is strictly small league
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And somewhere far, far ahead the Emperor of Mankind is waiting for them to catch up
    Or well dont know if Made in Abyss is worse. Dont think you can claim Endeavor is. He is strictly small league
    Hm. yeah, the Emperor is tough to beat on that front. but Darkseid is a parent. Emperor may be real bad, but he isn't the literal incarnation of despair and evil in his universe seeking to destroy free will.

though none of this lessens Endeavor for me. even if that vile abusive jerk didn't do anything illegal, he deserves a divorce with the mother taking all the children and him having to doing his hero work alone.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-06-17 at 11:32 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ettin in the Playground

Its actually not eugenics. Its not even close to being that. Eugenics is a large scale program to improve the genetic stock of your population.
    Actually Webster kind of has my back on this one:

the practice or advocacy of controlled selective breeding of human populations (as by sterilization) to improve the population's genetic composition
    Except for the given example of sterilization, it ticks all the boxes.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

New development, really?
    It kinda seems like completely the same arguments repeated since last time. By more or less the same people.
    Oh well, its basically aligment debates from d&d all over.
    It is kind of different now.
    Spoiler: Chapters 312 to 316
    Show

We have learned from chapters 312 to 316, with the meat of it being chapter 314 that MHA Japan has a Secret Police system similar to authoritarian and totalitarian regimes of our world.

They disappear people, it is clandestine, it is "unnoticed" by both the general populace and the hero board at large. The secret police repress the dissidents, they kill any opposition to the state, they eliminate embarrassments that would shatter / embarrass the story being told.

All of this without a trial, all of this with no accountability. Vigilante Hero Society with the "private-public partnership of the Hero Public Safety Commission and Hero Firms" is a front. Yes Heroes do things for the public good but it is a manufactured (chapter 314 bolded this word specifically) to give you an illusion of what is happening. The Heroes are the magician you see while the Safety Commission's assassination squads are the magician you do not see.

And no one is allowed to resigned from the Safety Commission and go quietly for resigning means you may tell so they will eliminate you.

-----

Everything is different now. MHA Japan is an authoritarian or totalitarian regime which depending on the "language game" used to describe this dystopia.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Plenty of Anime Moms as well really, Ragyo Kiryuin is Yujiro bad parent.
    I did say ONE OF, friends .

Honestly, Endeavor is exempt from his Bad Anime Parent mug due to... you know, actually trying to be a better person actively. He still has done far, far too many terrible things, but man he's aware.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

I did say ONE OF, friends .

Honestly, Endeavor is exempt from his Bad Anime Parent mug due to... you know, actually trying to be a better person actively. He still has done far, far too many terrible things, but man he's aware.
    Trying to be better yea, and my mental image of just how bad he could have been versus how bad he turned out to be in the flashbacks had enough daylight between them to keep him out of the Anime Parent Hall of Shame.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Makes me wonder how things would be different had he had shoto first? If he hit the genetic lottery first try and got the perfect balance of hot and cold in his first born child. Would his mom have gone nuts in the end? Would he have been raised as weapon by dear old dad? Or would the lack of previous "failures" have taken the edge off endeavors obsession with teaching his son to be the best? Would he have been even worse as he was getting everything he wanted therefore there was no reason to stop pushing?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Makes me wonder how things would be different had he had shoto first? If he hit the genetic lottery first try and got the perfect balance of hot and cold in his first born child. Would his mom have gone nuts in the end? Would he have been raised as weapon by dear old dad? Or would the lack of previous "failures" have taken the edge off endeavors obsession with teaching his son to be the best? Would he have been even worse as he was getting everything he wanted therefore there was no reason to stop pushing?
    I mean, things wouldn't have been great. He was still overbearing and put way to much pressure on his first son despite the serious health risks, but if Rei still recommends having more kids he likely doesn't wind up feeling the need to keep Shoto separated from them and the lack of a death of their first child probably ends with him still being a Grade A ******* "Sports Dad" type and probably a worse person for it since he likely never would have pushed things to the breaking point thus never had to realize his need to atone.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

People should feel free to call it icky or so. But its not eugenics. And its very natural.
    I have a problem with "natural". While selective breeding is a thing that occurs in nature, so does cannibalism and devouring your mother from the inside out.

Selective breeding (and/or specialization) is a strategy but a highly flawed one. You go for local optimum, which can be really perilous in a real-life environment. One such example is Pandas, they specialized to be carnivores that feed exclusively on bamboo, making them an evolutionary dead-end.

Wait, what did Emperor do? While genetic manipulation and removal of religion was messy, and he isn't going to win father of the year awards, he didn't do anything truly sinister.

For that matter, what is Endeavor's crime? Sure he married his wife to obtain a quirk, but it wasn't a loveless marriage. Before Toya-incident and Todoroki-incident at least. And Toya was a hard kid to control. I agree Enji isn't a great or good father, but he wasn't actively malevolent, he wanted what was best for him and he tried to dissuade his son, once he realized Toya's powers were in conflict. And it's not like he isn't aware of that.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-06-18 at 04:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Actually Webster kind of has my back on this one:
    the practice or advocacy of controlled selective breeding of human populations (as by sterilization) to improve the population's genetic composition
    It does not have your back on that. I should perhaps have linked the wikipedia article i myself browsed for a more in depth glance.
    Just for a start it miss the scale criteria of your quote. 2 people are not a population.
    If Endeavor ran around knocking every single Endeavor groupie of the right age up, to spread his powerful fire quirk. Then it would be low scale eugenics.

It is kind of different now.
    Except its not different. We had more or less word for word the same arguments for and against free quirk usage

I have a problem with "natural". While selective breeding is a thing that occurs in nature, so does cannibalism and devouring your mother from the inside out.

Selective breeding (and/or specialization) is a strategy but a highly flawed one. You go for local optimum, which can be really perilous in a real-life environment. One such example is Pandas, they specialized to be carnivores that feed exclusively on bamboo, making them an evolutionary dead-end.
    Welp.. not my fault if you accidentially read Nice instead of Natural. I mean they do of course both start with N

As for selective breeding. Yep. I didnt directly claim it was smart.
    Though on the other hand. Not going for local optimum can easily see you extinct by those who did go for local optimum without thinking long term.

Wait, what did Emperor do? While genetic manipulation and removal of religion was messy, and he isn't going to win father of the year awards, he didn't do anything truly sinister.
    At least according to the newer books on the subject, then he did screw up almost every single Primach in one way or another.
    Him being a jerk to Lorgar certainly did set off the whore Heresy.

Though fair, seems like he saw the Primarchs more as tools than as his children.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

The Horus Heresy books just keep going and one of the things they have really settled into as a theme is that the Emperor was a terrible father to the primarchs. It's bad.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp.. not my fault if you accidentially read Nice instead of Natural. I mean they do of course both start with N
    I know what I read. I read it in a context where it's used as a counterpoint for eugenics being bad.

Though on the other hand. Not going for local optimum can easily see you extinct by those who did go for local optimum without thinking long term.
    Which is why investing in bitcoin is smart

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine & Dragonus45
    At least according to the newer books on the subject, then he did screw up almost every single Primach in one way or another.
    Him being a jerk to Lorgar certainly did set off the whore Heresy.

Though fair, seems like he saw the Primarchs more as tools than as his children.
    ----------------
    The Horus Heresy books just keep going and one of the things they have really settled into as a theme is that the Emperor was a terrible father to the primarchs. It's bad.
    Hm I guess I need to catch up with latest books then. Although I always assumed this was the case, I mean he's called God-Emperor, much like another famous God-Emperor - Leto Atreides II. Someone who became the dictator in order to push people into wanting freedom. He's good, not nice.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-06-18 at 08:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

I know what I read. I read it in a context where it's used as a counterpoint for eugenics being bad.
    Hmm.. {scrubbed}
    icky or so. But its not eugenics. And its very natural."
    So for a start its not about eugenics at all. Thats just about the main point.

Hm I guess I need to catch up with latest books then. Although I always assumed this was the case, I mean he's called God-Emperor, much like another famous God-Emperor - Leto Atreides II. Someone who became the dictator in order to push people into wanting freedom. He's good, not nice.
    Well this God-Emperor is closer to Darkseid than Leto II, he is not good, and not nice.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-19 at 10:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

Natural is a loaded word in language and philosophy due to how the human mind works. We humans assume what is natural is what is normal and vice versa, scar tissue is natural yet if you ask someone they would visualize skin they would visual skin which has no blemish or raised marks and they would call that natural

unless you prime them! For when you prime someone they engage a different type of attention, the language style now flips, for they are searching for logical errors and inconsistencies and thus how they use language is different, but also how you visualize the words you use in one’s imagination is also different.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Natural is a loaded word in language and philosophy due to how the human mind works. We humans assume what is natural is what is normal and vice versa, scar tissue is natural yet if you ask someone they would visualize skin they would visual skin which has no blemish or raised marks and they would call that natural
    I dont do that (generally). What you read is what you get. Not more. Not less.
    If something is meant to be bad. Bad will be written. If something is meant to be good. Good is written.
    But if something is natural. Then its just natural. Not good. Not bad. Just natural. The way something is in nature.

20. - Top - End - #1190

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    The opening of this chapter is... bleak in a sense I didn't quite expect. Death Arms, one of the FIRST, if not THE first, heroes we see in the series... has retired. He, Mt Lady, and Kamui Woods have always had that "hey it's those guys" quality to them, and this feels like a big hit, honestly.

And then we get the stuff with Deku and I cannot... begin to explain the raw emotion I'm feeling from this. The final panel in particular feels straight out of Berserk (I imagine this is intended on Horikoshi's part) and the sheer pain of it all is a LOT... adding to that, Stain is here, and overheard all of that, and is likely going to go after Deku. Will he be an enemy... or a friend? Given Stain's personality and how his fight with Deku ended, I'm not 100% sure.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Are we going to get “Spider-Man No More” ?

22. - Top - End - #1192

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Are we going to get “Spider-Man No More” ?
    Horikoshi's made it pretty clear (and I think outright said in interviews) that Spider Man is one of his favorites, so maybe not exactly that, but... I can see Deku ending this series by retiring, and a shot at some point during this last arc emulating Spider Man No More.

23. - Top - End - #1193

I mean, Deku's current power set is flying brick Spider-Man with extra smoke and wind powers.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont do that (generally). What you read is what you get. Not more. Not less.
    If something is meant to be bad. Bad will be written. If something is meant to be good. Good is written.
    But if something is natural. Then its just natural. Not good. Not bad. Just natural. The way something is in nature.
    While you don't, other people do. And icky is like mild discomfort. Quirk marriages are like the kennel club for the human race.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-06-21 at 05:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Barbarian in the Playground

I really loved this chapter, probably one of my all-time favorites. But now would really be a perfect time to get back to the others, and let Deku go offscreen for a bit.

26. - Top - End - #1196

Well, I didn't exactly get what I wanted, but we got another great chapter. Horikoshi contines to impress with his art and the emotional weight of his scenes.

27. - Top - End - #1197

This is wonderful, but I don't think it'll be as easy as Bakugo giving Deku a hug and saying he needs to chill. Still; it's cool to see Bakugo kicking ass in a PRECISE way.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

This is wonderful, but I don't think it'll be as easy as Bakugo giving Deku a hug and saying he needs to chill. Still; it's cool to see Bakugo kicking ass in a PRECISE way.
    What word will Bakugou use with Izuku, when he gives him the [hug] substitute? It will likely not be "friend." So what will it be instead?

29. - Top - End - #1199

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    What word will Bakugou use with Izuku, when he gives him the [hug] substitute? It will likely not be "friend." So what will it be instead?
    You're asking the wrong person because I ship them like Fedex. That said, Bakugou hugging him would make perfect sense. Probably calling him by an actual name instead of just Deku.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Izuku is just begging for somebody to throw his "You look like somebody who needs to be saved" catchprase back at him.

That said, I think this is going to be a team effort. There could even be a classic shonen part where somehow Deku ends up fighting against his friends who want to help him, and by defeating him they'll prove they are peers he can lean on, and not just another batch of people he needs to protect.