New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    All-Might didn't solve the problems with the world though. He treated the symptoms but didn't remove the causes, and the moment he was out of the picture things deteriorated in a scant few months (Remember that in-universe we're still within the scope of a single school year).

That's why I say he was wrong. He thought he had fixed the problem, but he hadn't. He'd just delayed it.

It's kinda consistent with his failure to really teach Midoriya to use OfA as well, he just kinda naturally does what's in front of him, he doesn't think about how he's doing it in a way he can communicate or whether it's really giving him what he wants.
    Things didn't deteriorate naturally though as some result of the system failing from All Might's mistakes. A super villain, the same one he punched the literal face off of, planned and executed a series of terrorist attacks designed to demoralize the populace and kill any heroes who didn't themselves give up in the face of the assault. If he was wrong about anything it was that he though All For One was defeated and he would be able to turn his focus away from that specific mission and pass on his powers in a time of relative stability. Of course things weren't perfect, the public Safety Commission and it's extralegal assassination plans went right under his nose and he probably missed it in part because of what you mentioned. He faces the issues in front of him and doesn't do great digging something like that up from the shadows, especially not when in general he seems to be the kind of person who just assumes good faith and trusts people when he probably should be asking a lot more question. He also seemed to be fairly busy for literal decades so who knows how much free time he might have had to investigate that sort of corruption within his own ranks. But inevitably that would have come out and things would have adjusted and changed and probably been better off for confronting all the issues wrapped up in it and progress would be made and some new flaw in the system would get to fester and not be perfect but be hopefully better then what came before. Instead a LITERAL super villain with wildly OP powers and lifetimes worth of allies and contacts across the globe broke it all over his knee.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Things didn't deteriorate naturally though as some result of the system failing from All Might's mistakes. A super villain, the same one he punched the literal face off of, planned and executed a series of terrorist attacks designed to demoralize the populace and kill any heroes who didn't themselves give up in the face of the assault. If he was wrong about anything it was that he though All For One was defeated and he would be able to turn his focus away from that specific mission and pass on his powers in a time of relative stability. Of course things weren't perfect, the public Safety Commission and it's extralegal assassination plans went right under his nose and he probably missed it in part because of what you mentioned. He faces the issues in front of him and doesn't do great digging something like that up from the shadows, especially not when in general he seems to be the kind of person who just assumes good faith and trusts people when he probably should be asking a lot more question. He also seemed to be fairly busy for literal decades so who knows how much free time he might have had to investigate that sort of corruption within his own ranks. But inevitably that would have come out and things would have adjusted and changed and probably been better off for confronting all the issues wrapped up in it and progress would be made and some new flaw in the system would get to fester and not be perfect but be hopefully better then what came before. Instead a LITERAL super villain with wildly OP powers and lifetimes worth of allies and contacts across the globe broke it all over his knee.
    All for One wasn't the only one waiting for his chance though. He was only the biggest. There was the MLA, who would have been problem enough on their own and probably would have done much more without Shigaraki in the picture, and Overhaul and the Yakuza.

The problem isn't just "corruption in the ranks of the heroes", the problem is that society as a whole hasn't been healed, it's just been pushed into an outward semblance of peace and stability.

Healing society in MHA means a fundamental reevaluation of how people and society as a whole relate to quirks, like the whole League of Villains is pretty much made of people who for various reasons never formed a healthy relationship with their quirk because they either needed more help to do so (Toga, Twice) or because they faced direct discrimination because of it (Spinner).

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ettin in the Playground

All for One wasn't the only one waiting for his chance though. He was only the biggest. There was the MLA, who would have been problem enough on their own and probably would have done much more without Shigaraki in the picture, and Overhaul and the Yakuza.

The problem isn't just "corruption in the ranks of the heroes", the problem is that society as a whole hasn't been healed, it's just been pushed into an outward semblance of peace and stability.

Healing society in MHA means a fundamental reevaluation of how people and society as a whole relate to quirks, like the whole League of Villains is pretty much made of people who for various reasons never formed a healthy relationship with their quirk because they either needed more help to do so (Toga, Twice) or because they faced direct discrimination because of it (Spinner).
    That was an important theme in the Toga chapter from half a year ago. She had no home to return to, for her house life was a farce. There is no nostalgia there, only pain. Of course she would seek something new, including destroying the old where so many people derive stability and support from…

Toga would destroy such an ideal for their support was a prison and she was the prisoner. That system has no authority or legitimacy over her, of course she will write her own story as an author. A story she had to self teach herself by being a toxic fan for that was the only outlet and option available to her.

That is enough words for Toga, but one can do a similar thing for all of the League of Villians characters, they are literally the Villains from the Celluoid Screen, archetypes from movies, film, and literature. If All Might is from 1930s and 1940s comic books than the LoV will be the silent movies from the 1920s.

Edit: One last thing did we agree on the new thread name, we have only 25 posts left without mod intervention. Are we going with LaZodiac’s title with the number four is the hiss of death in Japan?
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2022-08-24 at 01:22 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

Overhaul and the Yakuza were handled by hero society as it exists currently though. Yes they caused damage and a good man died to stop them, but Overhaul was never going to be the next OFA no matter much he wanted to be the one to tear the system down. The MLA likely could have been a bigger problem but I don't think they could have pulled off what OFA did either. Taking them down was ultimately easier then taking down the Yakuza had been, outside of the presence of the League of Villains, who only existed as an organization thanks to AFO.

The corruption in the PSC was absolutely the biggest and most important issue because the unrealistic image they were creating lead to the hero system and many of the heroes in it being brittle. As for League of Villains, yes they are examples of people who slipped through the cracks. Which can, does, and will continue to happen forever because no society can be perfect. You talk about how "society hadn't healed" but for the most part it absolute has. Tomura was more then anything the result of a single individual, his father, who had issues personally with own mother, well that and his quirk activation being at just the worst possible moment, suspiciously the worst possible moment. And the apathy he faced living on the streets afterwards is in this case easily attributed to people thinking "the heroes can handle it" which didn't really have much to do with quirks as it does people suck and in a world without heroes or quirks a homeless child can still just as easily be missed as a result of people who simply don't care or want it to be someone else's problem. And again, consider that if AFO hadn't snatched him up to make a villain out of him he may well have gotten found and helped like someone else with a similarly tragic story of their quirk killing their loved ones. Eri.

Twice also wasn't "harmed" by some failure of society to heal and manage quirks. He was also a homeless child who lost his job due to someone who was rich deciding to **** him over and his decision to turn to crime was fueled by those class issues totally unrelated to his quirk. His quirk comes into play because he used it in unhealthy ways which caused his breakdown, and no part that wasn't societies fault just because it was quirk related.

Toga makes more sense for that narrative, she clearly had parents who thought her blood eating was unnatural and abused her as a result, but that's not exactly a pattern we see repeated consistently. The most you can blame "society" for is that no one noticed or took action, but abuse like that slides past teachers and authorities who should know better all the time. You see a similar case in the one student who can control peoples minds, but even in a world with a perfect happy acceptance of all people and quirks would see people being a bit warry around someone with mind control powers. That's a natural human response, if also a ****ty one if you then make it that persons problem.

Spinner, and other people like him with quirks that make people look and function in ways totally outside human norm are the ones with the only real claim to being "failed by society" as a group in the way you are talking about. And most of them seem to get on with their life just fine without turning to murder and terrorism. Heck, I feel like we see a disproportionate amount of heroes we see have quirks like that relative to the population. That's probably just because they make for fun character designs but still. Oh remember ReDestro's friend? The mouse person I think it was who had read the original Destro's book and thought it was a load of BS. So ReDestro murdered him. There is some deep irony in ReDestro murdering someone with a form changing quirk like that for failing to agree with him.

Anyways, the "society never healed" narrative just doesn't fit. Society is in a much better place then it was before All Might came along and that isn't all just the facade put up by the PSC either, things were BAD when AFO was basically in charge and if All Might had honestly gotten rid of him like he though he had then the Mad Max villains ruling the streets violence we see now would never have happened. Ok so I guess he was wrong in that that AFO was dead, but not for lack of trying at least.

:EDIT: Oh forgot about Dabi. You could tell the story of a child with an abusive "sports dad who never made it big" childhood who then turns out to have asthma or some other chronic disease that precludes him from ever being an athlete so his father starts doting on a newer younger child. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't already the premise of some movie somewhere. Yes quirks drive the narrative in this case because it is a world of quirks so instead of sports dad with failed sports son you have failed eugenics super hero. The failed eugenics part is particularly relevant here because we know that was once a more accepted practice, but society did confront it and ban it. So we know that society still has forward momentum and growth for how it is handling quirks and what healing needs to be done is progressing forward.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2022-08-24 at 01:41 PM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

See, you act like you guys refuted me, but you can't even agree on whether All-Might truly made the world better for real or not.

When I say "I'm confused as to whether the villains have a point or not" its to clarify: "I'm confused whether hero society actually needs to drastically change from its current course"

The thing is, despite all the flaws that the villains point out, the society of MHA is full of incredibly reasonable people and precautions. Eraser Head is shown to talking to many teachers and making precautions to plan for the future without All-Might that Midoriya never even considers: he talks about making all heroes more like All-Might so that hero society has more examples of a hero to look up to, he talks about how the Quirks are evolving and how to teach the younger generation responsibility- a generation younger than the one currently learning in high school. long term societal preparations like that so......whats the point of Midoriya then? MHA's society already knows about these issues and are already taking steps to address them. With people like that in charge, why are we worried about a slide back into anarchy as anything other than a temporary blip or overreaction? the anger of a riot doesn't last forever and people need to go home sooner or later.

If MHA society is something that needs a change that Midoriya has to achieve, what are the flaws that he has to confront? all the villains are flaws yes but they are outside the system, and so far the only example of the system propping up someone who isn't good at all is Endeavor.....and he is being treated with redemption gloves. It seem like if your within the system your bad deeds are forgivable and forgettable without any punishment coming to you. so are the villains outside the system because the system rightly sorted them out of society, or because system wrongly rejected them? Where is the heroes that are wrongly accepted for what they do? where are the good people that are wrongly rejected? If MHA society is supposed to be unjust, where are the clear cases of injustice that people can agree upon as unjust? Is the author intentionally making it ambiguous to show the complexity of a problem with no clear solution? What is Midoriya supposed to do about it then?

If the villains truly have a point then drastic change is needed- just not in the way the villains are going about trying to make it happen. If they don't well....then MHA society doesn't need to drastically change at all and can just continue gradually changing in response to the future problems it clearly already knows about. and I'm confused as to which is true.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    See, you act like you guys refuted me, but you can't even agree on whether All-Might truly made the world better for real or not.

When I say "I'm confused as to whether the villains have a point or not" its to clarify: "I'm confused whether hero society actually needs to drastically change from its current course"

The thing is, despite all the flaws that the villains point out, the society of MHA is full of incredibly reasonable people and precautions. Eraser Head is shown to talking to many teachers and making precautions to plan for the future without All-Might that Midoriya never even considers: he talks about making all heroes more like All-Might so that hero society has more examples of a hero to look up to, he talks about how the Quirks are evolving and how to teach the younger generation responsibility- a generation younger than the one currently learning in high school. long term societal preparations like that so......whats the point of Midoriya then? MHA's society already knows about these issues and are already taking steps to address them. With people like that in charge, why are we worried about a slide back into anarchy as anything other than a temporary blip or overreaction? the anger of a riot doesn't last forever and people need to go home sooner or later.

If MHA society is something that needs a change that Midoriya has to achieve, what are the flaws that he has to confront? all the villains are flaws yes but they are outside the system, and so far the only example of the system propping up someone who isn't good at all is Endeavor.....and he is being treated with redemption gloves. It seem like if your within the system your bad deeds are forgivable and forgettable without any punishment coming to you. so are the villains outside the system because the system rightly sorted them out of society, or because system wrongly rejected them? Where is the heroes that are wrongly accepted for what they do? where are the good people that are wrongly rejected? If MHA society is supposed to be unjust, where are the clear cases of injustice that people can agree upon as unjust? Is the author intentionally making it ambiguous to show the complexity of a problem with no clear solution? What is Midoriya supposed to do about it then?

If the villains truly have a point then drastic change is needed- just not in the way the villains are going about trying to make it happen. If they don't well....then MHA society doesn't need to drastically change at all and can just continue gradually changing in response to the future problems it clearly already knows about. and I'm confused as to which is true.
    The villains do have a point. Society does require change. It's clear, I think, that All Might DID change the world for good- AND BAD, is the thing. He can be both things.

Eraserhead is talking about those things. Eraserhead is also mid 30s to 40s. Progress is gradual, he is setting the ground work for Midoriya to make the changes blossom. Plant trees you'll never rest underneath the shade of. Eraserhead is also not even remotely in charge, he's one hero that never goes into the public spotlight if he can help it- someone who actively would not be able to do the things Deku can.

Endeavor is not being treated with redemption gloves. He is atoning, but is not redeamed. That's fair! He's also just one man- he is emblematic of a problem, not the sole problem. Many of the villains have problems that stem from both regular and quirk society, and that is something that needs to be handled, and shining a light on these things can cause that to happen. Endeavor GOT his punishment; it is likely that his family will never interact with him again when all is said and done.

The idea is that every villain who was rejected by society COULD HAVE BEEN a good person, if not for that rejection. We see good people face persecution too at times (not as much as we should, but still, I'm not arguing the series shouldn't have gone harder).

The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the ills of My Hero's society is ours. So of course you're gonna get people unable to agree with them. The reason Twice turned to crime is something that happens, in the real world, every day. Some people have sympathy to that, some say "shouldn't have been a criminal" as though where they went justifies the thing that sent them there. Gentle had good intentions and failed, and is thrown away by society by it. How is that not a clear showing of the world being broken in some way?

Ultimately, Midoriya has to do one thing; the best he can. That's all any of us can do. I think that's a good message!

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, I would say it did need drastic changes. But mostly that's because society was being run by a shadow council using assassination tactics to weed out undesirables behind the scenes more then for the reasons ties up in the themes about the ways the villains were done wrong in their lives. Most of those people all were assassinated by ReDestro as well I think? I know he tore the place up and later we find out the government has sort of ceased to exist because to many of them were killed or in hiding to the organization disbanded. Interestingly enough for reasons mostly unrelated to their actual crimes and more related to ReDestro's quirk supremacist beliefs.

Well, yea. The society has flaws, but it also has people working to fix those flaws and make things better within that system. If it weren't for bad actors working to tear the system down there wouldn't be a real worry about a slide back into the kind of anarchy there was before All Might came around. Not without an almost silver bullet level of things coming together poorly when a few of the underlying issues that were solved over the course this series all hitting just right anyways. You ask what is the point of Midorya? It's the point of any hero, to stand between innocent people and the villains who would exploit or abuse them. More specifically, it's to be the person with the compassion to reach out to Tomura and try to help save him from All For One and hopefully break the cycle they, and all of Japan, are both trapped in as a result of All for One's actions. An option that simply was never on the table for All Might really since All For One really is just ****in evi

I agree we lack a lot of concrete examples of these things, outside of the backstories of various characters we specifically know like the league of villains or Hitoshi and his mind control quirk. Part of that is that we are told the authorities have actually been assassinating suck people as the "wrongly accepted heroes" instead of allowing them to tarnish the public image. Which means we never really get the idea that false heroes were a serious societal problem outside of Stain's beliefs. And he didn't have tons of public support. The Crawler from Vigilantes is a really great example of someone who was wrongly rejected from the world of heroes despite having amazing potential as a hero, and his specific circumstances read as really awful in comparison to what happened with Midoriya passing his exams the way he did. Not everyone has All Might to point out your heroism and make sure you get a great score for it after all. But it's still an edge case. This is also where we meet the guy who has little giant scythes for praying mantis arms and really struggles in society for it. Although I think it is notable that that wasn't his actual natural quirk at play so he could also be something of an edge case, although he talks a lot about people with quirks similar enough to his he certainly isn't alone.

The thing I am trying to say is both of these ideas are true. The villains have a point, but society is moving forward and should be allowed to do so without the kind of violence they want to bring to bear on it. The have complaints about their specific lives and circumstances but they are so wrapped up in their personal issues that they miss that they are mostly edge cases and not the norm, and also that they could at any time get help or change course for most of them and it would be available to them. Heck Twice literally has a hero beg him to turn himself in and get mental help because Hawk recognizes he is just a guy in a bad situation who found the wrong support system for it. And of course course society can and should be better, but tearing it down to make a "new better" version in their image is a flawed idea at best that just creates new victims in their place and has no promises of a better future for anyone.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

I no longer believe in those words, for it is merely how the language part of the brain is linear, but other parts of the brain not tied to language are able to deal with integration and higher orders of complexity.

Cause and Effect exists, but the causes are many, and the effects are many, and thus society is over-determined. One can not separate to a single cause to a single effect.

Instead I think in knots. All Might is a presence like a weaver, he untied some knots with the threads of society, while simultaneously tying new ones in new combinations.

Yes All Might made several things better, and several contexts better, but “the World” is much bigger than several things and several contexts.

One can not “go beyond” and transcend a world, one instead moves through the world with all its its infinites, its fixed-ness, it’s boundaries, and it’s possiblities-which-are-multiplicities.

9. - Top - End - #1479

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I no longer believe in those words, for it is merely how the language part of the brain is linear, but other parts of the brain not tied to language are able to deal with integration and higher orders of complexity.

Cause and Effect exists, but the causes are many, and the effects are many, and thus society is over-determined. One can not separate to a single cause to a single effect.

Instead I think in knots. All Might is a presence like a weaver, he untied some knots with the threads of society, while simultaneously tying new ones in new combinations.

Yes All Might made several things better, and several contexts better, but “the World” is much bigger than several things and several contexts.

One can not “go beyond” and transcend a world, one instead moves through the world with all its its infinites, its fixed-ness, it’s boundaries, and it’s possiblities-which-are-multiplicities.
    What measure is a person's entire life? Does the good he brought counter out the bad? It's a grey area that tells just as much about the reader as the material itself.

Or in other words; All Might is a land of contrasts.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What measure is a person's entire life? Does the good he brought counter out the bad? It's a grey area that tells just as much about the reader as the material itself.

Or in other words; All Might is a land of contrasts.
    We all know “You Say Run” Goes With Everything.
    But does Brian Stokes Mitchell singing,
    “The Impossible Dream” from Man of La Mancha,
    go with MHA Season 3 Episode 11 "One For All" ?

11. - Top - End - #1481

Just got caught up on the manga. Man, things are not going how I expected. Definitely was feeling the buildup to Deku + All Might (somehow restored) teaming up. Now, seems like that may not happen.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...emia?locale=en

Galaxy Brain Theory time (this is a gambit, not sure if I believe it) …

but since we are going to get an All for One monologue, and he is traveling back through time, we are going to see how his ideology has transformed through time for his ego identity is going back in time as well, and his ego is tied up with covetousness, avarice, and greed. We are going to see his ego identity when he was weaker, including when he had no power. Just like when he and his brother had no power, and thus they were originally equals, and were like most of the human population for quirks were once rare.

And this powerless AFO and the first holder is going to parallel Tomura Shigaraki and the eight holder deku. And since this is Galaxy Brain theory time, and the crazy doctor is also involved, throw in a Buddhist metaphor or two involving the number eight since the crazy doctor has used Buddhist aliases from time to time.

13. - Top - End - #1483

A fascinating chapter. Really like what they're doing with All for One here. Hesitant about the stuff with Bakugo, but we'll see how it plays. It's just a question of "how strong is Edgeshot's paper heart" I suppose.

14. - Top - End - #1484

New chapter discussion
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, cool, reverting to his prime but gonna fade away, etc.

On the other hand, what the heck's AFO saying? His ultimate goal the whole time is... "thwart the future of the whole world"? Well, connecting it to the previous dialogue, the future which everyone envisions. So different people all over envision different futures, doing bad stuff messes with the futures they envision.

OFA is just the ultimate troll?

Back on whether All Might made Japan a better place... he clearly did make Japan a better place during his time as a hero. I seem to recall a lot of discussion early on about crime rate plummeted and morale was up due to All Might. He also knew his hero days were limited, and had a plan to pass off OFA to a promising young hero (though he didn't necessarily intend for them to replace him as the so-called symbol of peace, a person which both made potential evildoers wary+gave people hope).

But OFA threw a wrench in things. If OFA had really been shwacked like All Might thought, I think the power vacuum left when All Might retired would've not been nearly so bad, life would've continued rather well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

15. - Top - End - #1485

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    New chapter discussion
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, cool, reverting to his prime but gonna fade away, etc.

On the other hand, what the heck's AFO saying? His ultimate goal the whole time is... "thwart the future of the whole world"? Well, connecting it to the previous dialogue, the future which everyone envisions. So different people all over envision different futures, doing bad stuff messes with the futures they envision.

OFA is just the ultimate troll?

Back on whether All Might made Japan a better place... he clearly did make Japan a better place during his time as a hero. I seem to recall a lot of discussion early on about crime rate plummeted and morale was up due to All Might. He also knew his hero days were limited, and had a plan to pass off OFA to a promising young hero (though he didn't necessarily intend for them to replace him as the so-called symbol of peace, a person which both made potential evildoers wary+gave people hope).

But OFA threw a wrench in things. If OFA had really been shwacked like All Might thought, I think the power vacuum left when All Might retired would've not been nearly so bad, life would've continued rather well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As he himself says; I'm somewhat influenced by comic books.

All for One speaks like Lex Luthor, but at the end of the day he's Control Freak. A weirdo who wants to win because he thinks the world sucks and evil is cooler than good. He is, at the absolute basest, a troll loser. Worse then even Shiguraki, who he black-pilled into a total nihilist. He's every online ******* ranting about nonsense in Superhero media writ large. He'd absolutely get mad at the lesbian paraplegic spiderman they just revealed.

Disagreed, personally. It's still be pretty rough a transition. Sure, A4O being out of the picture makes some of the brutal blowback to All Might retiring not occur, but RE:Destro and Overhaul's yakuza are still there to fill the gap. And Public Security is still their extremely evil-for-good selves. I do think All Might did a lot of good, and put a lot of good into the world, but he had negative effects too. That's just how the world works.

16. - Top - End - #1486

Spoiler
    Show
    As he himself says; I'm somewhat influenced by comic books.

All for One speaks like Lex Luthor, but at the end of the day he's Control Freak. A weirdo who wants to win because he thinks the world sucks and evil is cooler than good. He is, at the absolute basest, a troll loser. Worse then even Shiguraki, who he black-pilled into a total nihilist. He's every online ******* ranting about nonsense in Superhero media writ large. He'd absolutely get mad at the lesbian paraplegic spiderman they just revealed.

Disagreed, personally. It's still be pretty rough a transition. Sure, A4O being out of the picture makes some of the brutal blowback to All Might retiring not occur, but RE:Destro and Overhaul's yakuza are still there to fill the gap. And Public Security is still their extremely evil-for-good selves. I do think All Might did a lot of good, and put a lot of good into the world, but he had negative effects too. That's just how the world works.
    Bwaha I can agree with you disagreeing with me.

Absolutely, negative effects. Passing OFA on earlier probably would’ve been a good decision, or otherwise preparing Japan for him to step down, etc.
    And indeed yeah even if AFO hadn’t thrown a huge wrench in things, yakuza and ReDestro would’ve. But… hrm I feel like the hero organizations would’ve fared a lot better with just one thing off their plate. I mean it’s a manga of course, but oof just bad thing after bad thing happened.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

Why is All Might the hero or the problem with this society?

The whole Kaina Tsutsumi arc with Deku vs the Sniper demonstrates the society is hopelessly corrupt before All Might but also during All Might’s reign. Repressive State Apparatuses are the norm, including killing people without a trial, and the heroes are clean up for the prior 5 or so layers, in case something breaks the Repressive State Apparatuses or a citizen does something the government does not predict.

All Might and the heroes are merely the clean up crew, or perhaps an Emergency Room doctor. They are also the RSA the citizens see, and displace anxieties onto, but they are not the real powers that be.

And the thing about All For One is he has more in common with these corrupt governments, than the governments have in common with All Might. That is the beauty of this perverse design, most heroes are earnest people who do not know how the system works. You are self selecting for powerful people, vain people, and earnest people by turning superheroes into celebrities. But society is more than their celebrities and the celebrity can not be the hero who heals the world, they can only be a hollow symbol of peace.

But is this peace justice? Who knows with the remaining arc for the league of villians do have some points, even if their points is more with society at large than the average citizen or the average hero.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Why is All Might the hero or the problem with this society?

The whole Kaina Tsutsumi arc with Deku vs the Sniper demonstrates the society is hopelessly corrupt before All Might but also during All Might’s reign. Repressive State Apparatuses are the norm, including killing people without a trial, and the heroes are clean up for the prior 5 or so layers, in case something breaks the Repressive State Apparatuses or a citizen does something the government does not predict.

All Might and the heroes are merely the clean up crew, or perhaps an Emergency Room doctor. They are also the RSA the citizens see, and displace anxieties onto, but they are not the real powers that be.

And the thing about All For One is he has more in common with these corrupt governments, than the governments have in common with All Might. That is the beauty of this perverse design, most heroes are earnest people who do not know how the system works. You are self selecting for powerful people, vain people, and earnest people by turning superheroes into celebrities. But society is more than their celebrities and the celebrity can not be the hero who heals the world, they can only be a hollow symbol of peace.

But is this peace justice? Who knows with the remaining arc for the league of villians do have some points, even if their points is more with society at large than the average citizen or the average hero.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consideriing All for One personnality, he will only let live people he find useful to him. Although what he promise is true unity, it isn't one without suffering. By becoming the number one villain, all people fear him and dont dare to oppose him, especially if he manage to get power on the ressources we have like electricity and fresh water. He might be planning to become like Doctor Doom though? I think thats the closest other villain I can compare him from? In any case, a lot of people will die in his ideal world. And the author himself admitted he was strongly pushed to stop exploring the villain side of things so the story was altered because of it. Its a shame though I love this twist!

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consideriing All for One personnality, he will only let live people he find useful to him. Although what he promise is true unity, it isn't one without suffering. By becoming the number one villain, all people fear him and dont dare to oppose him, especially if he manage to get power on the ressources we have like electricity and fresh water. He might be planning to become like Doctor Doom though? I think thats the closest other villain I can compare him from? In any case, a lot of people will die in his ideal world. And the author himself admitted he was strongly pushed to stop exploring the villain side of things so the story was altered because of it. Its a shame though I love this twist!
    Spoiler
    Show
    When did he say that? I remember reading about how the training camp thing in the forest got cut short because it just wasn't very popular, which was supposedly where we were initially supposed to get the traitor reveal, but I haven't seen any interviews or extras where he talks about cutting much of anything else.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    When did he say that? I remember reading about how the training camp thing in the forest got cut short because it just wasn't very popular, which was supposedly where we were initially supposed to get the traitor reveal, but I haven't seen any interviews or extras where he talks about cutting much of anything else.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I remember correctly the video I saw on Youtube, the youtuber pulled out some tweets the author have posted on Twitter.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If I remember correctly the video I saw on Youtube, the youtuber pulled out some tweets the author have posted on Twitter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you have a link that video? The only things I can find are about the training camp arc, which was cut short due to not being terribly popular when it was ongoing so he moved on to the next fight quickly and an offhand mention that the introducing the villains to early may have contributed to it.

22. - Top - End - #1492

I wonder... Imagine if All Might truly had killed All For One in the battle that crippled him. Lets say everything else went more or less as normal and he chose izuku again. It wouldnt surprise me if the final villain he has to face would be the government apparatus thats keeping control over things. Like, the gubbamint figures out midoriya is the new all might, and they want him under their thumb. UA and its staff are pretty much all against that, and we get a sort of background bureaucratic war for the first season or two while deku is doing his normal adventures and having his first year in school. We skip the usj incident because there is no nomu or afo to arrange it, but the non league events still happen, with maybe a few other random ones because the criminal underworld is pretty chaotic with their kingpin dead and gone. (Was that a thing in the actual story? Or is it fannon that AFO had his fingers in lots of unerworld pies?) Anyways, things advance as the government tries to approach him directly, only to be rejected, and they decide that if he wont play ball with them, they can teach him the error of his ways and "accidents" start to happen to his friends and loved ones. In the end he learns exactly how corrupt and entrenched this government group is and that there really is a lot to do to try and fix the problem. We have our own vigilantes series of deku and his merry band of supporters being declared criminals by the government and the backlash that causes because did they just call ALL MIGHT a criminal?! And they move to supplant this government group and those too blinded by propaganda to see it.

Anyways, im rambling, but that would have made for an interesting tale as well. Focusing on what it means to be a hero, what sort of downsides there are to making it a government job where faceless entities can basically decide who lives and dies, and how to best fix a society that has fallen so far yet most dont even realize it yet. How even someone who devotes their life to being a symbol of peace, and a pillar of society can also have made mistakes in the path he took and try to set them right.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you have a link that video? The only things I can find are about the training camp arc, which was cut short due to not being terribly popular when it was ongoing so he moved on to the next fight quickly and an offhand mention that the introducing the villains to early may have contributed to it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The video I watched was about the latest chapter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSWEWhd5jY&t=617s

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The video I watched was about the latest chapter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSWEWhd5jY&t=617s

This drops me in at 10:27 seconds but I don't see anything at that time stamp about tweets from the author or even about the subject at all? Is the bit about the author rewriting the story to explore villains less at a different timestamp?

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ettin in the Playground

We have 5 posts left, we all agree with La Zodiac’s title?

26. - Top - End - #1496

Yeah no one has voiced any disagreements.

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah no one has voiced any disagreements.
    Well I like so let’s do it

Go Beyond Thread #3, into the undiscovered country of Thread #4

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

This drops me in at 10:27 seconds but I don't see anything at that time stamp about tweets from the author or even about the subject at all? Is the bit about the author rewriting the story to explore villains less at a different timestamp?
    I forgot to put it at the right timestamp, sorry. Im very busy (and pissed off by RL events) right now but its in the video somewhere. It's an interesting video regardless, I suggest you watch it all.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter, time to start the countdown (in a new thread)

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...emia?locale=en

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Halfling in the Playground

Hell ya, can't wait for more!