New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default The "Is this a good gestalt?" thread

I wish to learn more about making good gestalt characters but have little experience in making them so I thought I might make a thread for myself and others like me who would like to know.

Gestalt builds I'm curious about power-wise:

Marshal/Bard

Warlock/Rogue

Fighter/Druid

Hexblade/Rogue (evasion+mettle=good that much I do know)

So, are they any good?
    Last edited by jjpickar; 2007-10-10 at 06:20 PM.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The "Is this a good gestalt?" thread

Marshal/Bard
    Good Support, not so much on their own.

Warlock/Rogue
    Has some strong points (Like Invisibility as Invocation), but overall not that great. You can stack Sneak Attack and Eldritch blast, but only once without Eldritch Glaive. It's nice, but not too wonderful.

Fighter/Druid
    Druid, with full BAB and alot of feats. Druids are already strong, this just boosts them a bit.

Hexblade/Rogue
    It's really good for fighting casters, but that's about it. The fact it can avoid most spells thrown at him is an advantage, but he's not perfect.

The best build I've seen is Wizard/Warblade. Huge Int synergy, Huge HP, and generally good saves and such.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by jjpickar View Post

Marshal/Bard

Warlock/Rogue

Fighter/Druid

Marshal/bard = major aura and bard songs? Good.

Warlock/rogue = sneak attack eldricth blasts. Good. Watch out for undead etc.

Fighter/druid = Druidzilla with extra str, power attack etc? Extreamly good. I think too good, your dm might slap you for suggesting it.

I can't really comment on the last one because I don't know a lot about hexblades.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DownwardSpiral
    Fighter/druid = Druidzilla with extra str, power attack etc? Extreamly good. I think too good, your dm might slap you for suggesting it.
    Actually, I think this is the least gain of any of them. THe others have some synergy, this is just a Druid with a slight Base Attack boost. A Druid//Psychic Warrior would have about the same number of feats and would have more nifty abilities to boot. Druid//Swordsage would also be neat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hexblade gestalts better with Spellthief. Sure, you have a smaller sneak attack pool, but you come out with a d10 HD, full BAB, ability to steal spells, double Charisma halfcasting (fullcasting if you take the Master Spellthief feat), Cha to saves, spellgrace, Mettle, and a lot of debuffing potential--particularly with the PHB-II Dark Companion alt class feature for the Hexblade.

Focus on UMD and skyrocket your Cha. You'll be a savemonkey like never before seen.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Wizard/Archivist = Game Over

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Weasel View Post
    Actually, I think this is the least gain of any of them. THe others have some synergy, this is just a Druid with a slight Base Attack boost. A Druid//Psychic Warrior would have about the same number of feats and would have more nifty abilities to boot. Druid//Swordsage would also be neat.
    Druid//Monk has a lot of merit. All good saves, (Improved) Evasion, Wis to AC, Wis 9th casting, Flurry (and usable since you can Wildshape into something with Pounce), speed boost, and a host of unarmed strikes usable in any form.

On a similar token, Swordsage//Monk is decent, and Psychic Warrior//Monk is incredible.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-10-10 at 07:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jjpickar View Post
    I wish to learn more about making good gestalt characters but have little experience in making them so I thought I might make a thread for myself and others like me who would like to know.

Marshal/Bard
    No. Neither of these is a particularily great class on their own, and they don't cover each others' weaknesses or anything. Marshal is also mostly a dip class. Marshal 2/Bard gestalted with Sorceror, for example, is more potent.

Warlock/Rogue
    No, no, no. Rogue has sneak attack. You'll want to sneak attack with your Eldritch Blast. You'll have a hard time doing so (invisibility goes away once you fire), and you're getting one attack a round with the blast anyway. Against sneak-attack-immune things, you're just a Warlock, in combat.

Fighter/Druid
    It's okay. You get a druid with a bunch of potent combat feats. Taking Fighter to 20 here is as bad an idea as always, of course. Druid does the heavy lifting.

It's okay, I guess? Hexblade doesn't really add the combat punch the rogue really needs, but the higher HP and debuffs (i.e. Dark Companion) make the rogue more viable in melee, and your Reflex and Will saves are good, with CHA to all saves vs. spells, Mettle, etc. Hexblade isn't a good class to take straight through, though.

Edit: Meh, Psychic Warrior//Monk. PsyWar//Swordsage is vastly better. Monk just makes the Psychic Warrior want to be unarmored.
    Last edited by Reel On, Love; 2007-10-10 at 07:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Edit: Meh, Psychic Warrior//Monk. PsyWar//Swordsage is vastly better. Monk just makes the Psychic Warrior want to be unarmored.
    The benefits I can think of from gestalting the two boil down to one thing: PsyWar allows the Monk to do things he usually otherwise couldn't, such as move and full-attack with hustle or grapple decently with expansion, as well as having strong Wis synergy. Of course, a gestalted PsyWar//Monk looks pretty much like a Monk/Fist of Zuoken, just earlier.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

what books do you have access to? What level of play?

Druid 20//
    Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Totemist 2/Black Blood Cultist 10/Warshaper 5

Is great. Take Frozen Wildshape (for cyro hydra form). Bind Worg Pelt to your Hands (need to use a feat, can take as soon as 6th lvl, allows a free improved trip attack with a bite attack). 12 attacks that do a trip attempt each time. After the enemy is prone, start a grapple attempt, if you succeed on your grapple you attack again with all your natural weapons due to Black Blood Cultist lvl 8.

Also you rage as a Barbarian of 11th lvl.

12 headed hydra base damage is 2d8, Improved Natural Attack 3d8, Totemist 4d8, Totem Avatar Shoulders (requires another feat, can take as soon as 12th lvl) 6d8 per attack.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2007-10-10 at 07:31 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #11

RogueGuy

Ramza00 reminded me of another question, how do prestige classes work with gestalt? By the way, couldn't you just be a wizard and polymorph into a cryohydra and cast tensor's transformation?
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

12. - Top - End - #12

You're only allowed to PrC one on one side of the buld at a time.

And, yes, a wizard could polymorph into a cryohydra and cast Tranformation, but they could do that in a normal game. And why would would you do that anyways? Giving up full spellcasting is never a good idea.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-10-10 at 07:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

I've always wondered, Bard/Barbarian. Bardarian, as the books says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralfarius View Post
    "I find your propensity toward accumulating monetary wealth through violent means of highly dubious sensibility!"

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Yeygresh View Post
    I've always wondered, Bard/Barbarian. Bardarian, as the books says.
    Hm. All good saves, full BAB, d12 hit die, decent skills (though Int probably isn't a priority for the Bardbarian), useful support casting (Haste? Yes, thanks!), and bard songs that last for several rounds after you start singing (in other words, after you fly into a Rage and start tearing things apart).

Sounds pretty reasonable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like Bard/Crusader.

If your DM requires the PHII Druid variant, Barbarian/Druid is excellent.

Any two Int based spellcasters gestal extremely well together.
    Beguiler/Wizard is fun.

Anything with Warhulk on one side and a full BaB class on the other.
    Last edited by TO_Incognito; 2007-10-10 at 08:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

I like Barbarian/Scout

Some overlap in class abilities, But Skirmish+Rage+Charge is always good. Plus two good saves, full BAB, skill points, trapfinding, a very high fort save, a few bonus feats, and a d12 HD. What's not to like?
    If at first you don't succeeded, try, try, again. Then quit. Their's no point in being a fool about it. http://myweb.cableone.net/MaxMahem/

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

I like Factotum//Wizard, Factotum//Warblade, Warblade//Wizard. They all are quite SAD (I mean, you only really need decent physical stats, but a high Int is amazing). Beguiler//Factotum or Beguiler//Warblade is good as well.
    Beguiler//Wizard is pretty cheezy.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

18. - Top - End - #18

Wizard/Archistist 10, Mystic Theurge/Warblade 10

I know, it advises not using things like Mystic Theurge in Gestalt, but I figured if we're goin' Cheesy........
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

In most cases, ToB is a beautiful thing.

Also, like Fax Said, Gestalt is the chance the Monk has to really shine. It covers all the main considerations for a character (Saves are perfect, Skills/HP/and BA are all tolerable) and gives Wisdom-types some nifty passive abilities on top.

One thing to look for is a method to utilize both sides of the build. The Barbarian//Bard, for instance, usually won't have time to use both classes' skills. If you can get Song of the White Raven, Quicken Spell and Arcane Strike into the mix though, you have actions from both sides of the gestalt chipping in.

Quote Originally Posted by TO_Incognito
    Any two Int based spellcasters gestal extremely well together.
    Beguiler/Wizard is fun.
    If you do this, you have to keep an eye on your HP and Saves. Try to use the Duskblade as a base for a Psion/Wizard/Beguiler, it fills most of the problems Arcane casters usually have (HP/Fort Saves) and lets you channel spells.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you do this, you have to keep an eye on your HP and Saves. Try to use the Duskblade as a base for a Psion/Wizard/Beguiler, it fills most of the problems Arcane casters usually have (HP/Fort Saves) and lets you channel spells.
    It does help; with just Wizard, Beguiler, and/or Archivist, you have to do something with your spells on one side to make sure you don't get one-shotted )=.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDuelist View Post
    I like Factotum//Wizard, Factotum//Warblade, Warblade//Wizard. They all are quite SAD (I mean, you only really need decent physical stats, but a high Int is amazing). Beguiler//Factotum or Beguiler//Warblade is good as well.
    Beguiler//Wizard is pretty cheezy.
    Factotum wizard? Eeevil...

Cunning surge + wizard casting, really high INT, so how many fonts of inspiration?

Owww

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    Wizard/Archistist 10, Mystic Theurge/Warblade 10

I know, it advises not using things like Mystic Theurge in Gestalt, but I figured if we're goin' Cheesy........
    Anyone who lets dual-progression prestige classes will let you apply only one progression, which makes mystic theurge absolutely worthless. The only reason you would want to take one in gestalt is for the class features, which mystic theurge doesn't have.
    Last edited by Turcano; 2007-10-10 at 09:43 PM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Well, one could try:

Wizard 3/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10/Mystic Theurge 4//Wu Jen 3/Sorceror 4/Ultimate Magus 10/Anythingyoudamnwellfeellike 3.

I cast everything.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Swordsage//Fighter? If you're human, you can have Shadow Blade, Weapon Finesse and Adaptive Style from the start.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Rogue + Anything is always a good choice. The skill points/selection is amazing, sneak attack is always useful, plus things like evasion and uncanny dodge are always helpful.

Adding Rogue may not always be the most optimal build, but it's never a bad choice.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Psion/Wilder is actually sweet from my experience. SO many power points and the wild surge really helps the psion cut loose with his powers. Wilder also fixes a few of the psion's weaknesses such as poor saves, BAB and HP by giving all of them a little boost.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

27. - Top - End - #27

Illumian, of course, makes everything better in gestalt. For example, I made an illumian duskblade//archivist. It allowed me to lower my MAD by using strength for bonus spells instead of wisdom, and intelligence was useful for both classes.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ranger makes an interesting pairing with arcane caster classes -- high BAB, good skills, class features that work best in light or no armor, and high Fort and Reflex saves to complement the arcane caster's high Will save.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

My personal pet 'I wish I could try this one day' gestalt build is:

Scout 3/Rogue X // Monk 1-3/Ninja X, with the feats that allow for Scout/Rogue Skirmish and Monk/Ninja unarmed strike stacking. Essentially a Rogue with a ridiculous opening shot.

It honestly isn't exploiting the power of Gestalt, which is versatility, but still... so many D6's...

30. - Top - End - #30

I was thinking wizard/druid, or wizard/monk.

Wizard/druid because natural spell let's you cast wizard spells in wildshape (crazy, I know).

Wizard/monk because wizard has the highest damage output, and monk has the best survivability so...