New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gay-mers

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Gay-mers

I am not sure if this is going against any of the forum rules though.

There is a thread in 4chan about parties and the token gay guy is present.

As a gay-mer myself, I found surprised that there were others. Aside from my boyfriend who I begged/coerced into dnd, I know no other gay-mers.

Unfortunately, gay-mers in 4chan were identified as backseat combatant rules lawyers (basically, they make buffers or faces and direct combat from the sidelines). I unfortunately fit that bill. LOLz

Does your group have gay-mers?

Do they fit the stereotype?

Really, I have always felt isolated as a gay gamer. isolated from other gay men, not from other gamers, oddly enough. The larger population f gay men look upon dnd like the plague
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Gay-mers

Gay people, whether they game or not, are no different from regular people. It is sad that you have to deal with discrimination and labelling by other people, but that's the world for you.

And gamers, whether they are gay or not, are no different from other people too.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours. Don't let other people get you down! Do the things you want to do, and to hell with them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I disagree. There is a differance. Gamers play games. Others don't. That is a differance, and no amount of sugar sucking will make it any differant.
    Differances aren't all bad. Open your eyes, world! Embrace our differences!
    We can't let this world be like Anthem! I hated that book!
    Heheh, not entirely serious.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Gay-mers gay-mer gay-mers gay-mers gay-mers
    Ugh. Don't ever say that phrase again. Not cause it's offensive, it's just too darn silly

In any event, one of the players in my group is gay. He's currently a paladin who's becoming a death delver after dropping into negatives one too many times for his own mental stability. Usually dropping into negatives cause he was headbutting something two size categories larger than him in the face. So yeah, the stereotype doesn't exactly fit.

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingRangerGuy

Ain't t weird that gay people discriminate me because of my hobby. Oh well. So much for progressive thinking from a marginalized minority.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I have gamed in groups that are almost entirely homosexual, barring myself. It's very interesting being a minority in that kind of situation. There was one flamer guy, one 'barelyinthecloset' guy, one bi guy, one lesbian, and myself (the lone straight). The group dynamic was fascinating.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

We have lesbian gamer in our main group.

I once played a game with a guy I think might have been bisexual. He is always flirting with everyone, and I mean everyone, during rehearsels for our school's plays, always lurking in the dark backstage and groping people when they least suspected it. He could have just been messing around.

But when we played the game, I knew something was up. He initiated romantic dialog with a female NPC. He got way close to me and leaned his face into mine. This was typical behavior for him. My girlfriend, expert at photographing awkward moments, swooped in with her phone and took pictures that are probably still on the internet. It was really hard to keep a straight face and continue the dialog. Heh heh, straight face.

And no, before anyone says anything, I'm not homophobic. I'm just a heterosexual male. There is a difference.
    I'm liberal, and a scientific christian.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ain't t weird that gay people discriminate me because of my hobby. Oh well.
    D&D is just a hobby that it takes a very specific kind of person to become interested in.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I have played for seven years with a player now who became lesbian during that time. Actually, she kinda became lesbian due to roleplaying, because after becoming interested in roleplaying she started to hang around in chatrooms roleplaying there as well, played a male character and became engaged with another girl. And, strangely enough, this relationship expanded to real life, even though it took months before that other girl learned the player I'm speaking of was actually female. They have been living together now for quite a few years.

Didn't change our relationship or our behaviour towards her in any way, though, even though one or two players (and, admittedly, myself ) were rather disappointed by it.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-10-12 at 11:22 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm not touching some of this with a 10 ten foot pole, not a homophobic either, nice to see that people of all walks of life enjoying a game together I think we used to have a metrosexual in are gaming group, good guy(had lots of miniatures)
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As a gay-mer myself, I found surprised that there were others. Aside from my boyfriend who I begged/coerced into dnd, I know no other gay-mers.
    Um, why were you surprised? If you think about it, roleplaying would seem to play to many of the stereotypes attributed to gay men.

1) Lots of dramatic acting;
    2) Sitting around chatting with a group of people which is nearly always predominantly male and is very likely to be 100% male;
    3) How pretty! Miniatures! Oooh, look at the colors!
    4) I've got pink dice! And with 8 sides, too!
    5) I'm a flighty elf! Hehe, I bet you thought I was going to say "fairy"!

I do not at all intend to offend with the above. Like I said "stereotypes". They exist, I did not invent them, I do not hold to them. My own personal view is that I could give a rat's ass what any two (or more, I still could give a rat's ass) consenting adults do in the privacy of their own sexualities. I am not my brother's keeper, I only ask that my brothers treat me with the respect with which I will treat them.
    --
    Cheers,
    Kompera

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't see why homosexuals would be adverse to gaming. Although judging by the gay people I know, I think that they would be more into the role playing aspect rather than being all munchkiny.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

When I moved off to college, I finally got my chance at playing Dungeons and Dragons when a friend of mine dragged me off to join a group he played with. Lo and behold, I was the third gay person in the group...our DM is beginning to wonder if he just attracts them like a magnet.

And I don't know about stereotypes...I play spellcasters. Lots of spellcasters. Spellcasters who enjoy telling the universe to sit on it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Heheh, who doesn't like being a spellcaster, gay or straight?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heheh, who doesn't like being a spellcaster, gay or straight?
    People who are afraid of power. Obviously.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know at least 3 or 4 gay-mers myself. Likely the number is much higher, just not everyone announces their orientation.
    Check out Red Box Fantasy a very modern and different take on retrogaming. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/paigeoliver

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kompera View Post
    4) I've got pink dice! And with 8 sides, too!
    5) I'm a flighty elf! Hehe, I bet you thought I was going to say "fairy"!

I got fuschia dice as a gift one christmas. I hated them. I hate pink, especially fuschia. I kept them somewhere and never seen them again. If gray elves weren't all that, I would hate elves too. The high and mighty thing is annoying.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

The first other gamer I met was also the first gay guy I met. Funny, that.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a "bi-mer" if that counts?

I don't see what's so surprising about a gay person playing D&D. Gay gamers are gamers too.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Master Axel View Post
    I'm a "bi-mer" if that counts?
    You know it doesn't.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Best of both genders

I've never had a problem with it, but I'm anything but stereotypical, so that could be why.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

22. - Top - End - #22

Why on earth should being gay, straight, female or male have to do with a roleplaying game? If you play the game well, you shouldn't be able to twell if someone is of a particular sexuality. I play in a group where all of us are straight, with one, possible exception which I think might take a while to figure out. It doesn't affect the group dynamic in any way, and we all readily play either sex characters and role play as appropriate.

We do however, take every oppurtunity to joke about the femininity of elvish male pcs. Just too easy.
    Last edited by Vuzzmop; 2007-10-13 at 12:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I just want to say this :

To everyone using the term gay-mer - STOP.

It's worse that those who've come up with this sick attempt at a cutesy meme are gay themselves, but seriously, you're just going to take your own orientation and turn it into some horrible, twisted joke. It's NOT funny, it's NOT cute, and it makes me want to snap the word in two and burn it.

I refuse to accept this term - who's with me?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post

It's worse that those who've come up with this sick attempt at a cutesy meme are gay themselves, but seriously, you're just going to take your own orientation and turn it into some horrible, twisted joke. It's NOT funny, it's NOT cute, and it makes me want to snap the word in two and burn it.

It's not a joke. Or an insult. Do you see anyone laughing? Or complaining that it offends them? No?

It's just an abbreviation, a portmanteau. There's no negative connotation, and nobody takes it as offensive.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow...never thought there would be so many (I will not say that word) gay gamers, but I guess i never really thought of that. We did have a lesbian play with us a couple times but she was weird, really, really weird. Dressed all goth, but acted completely opposite. She wasn't very good either. I don't think a gay guy would be to comfortable in our group though, the lesbian wasn't. I am homophobic, not as in homosexuals are the devil!! Just, uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it offends, which is not my meaning by it. *shrug* Ever have trouble with anti-homosexual attitudes in gaming?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Honestly, if gay gamers want to use the name, I'm just glad to see such a meaning attached to it instead of having it available as a "huh huh, you game, that must mean you're gay, like a gay-mer" insult for lackwits.

It seems perfectly innocuous to me. I don't get your strength of feeling here.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    I am homophobic, not as in homosexuals are the devil!! Just, uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it offends, which is not my meaning by it. *shrug* Ever have trouble with anti-homosexual attitudes in gaming?
    I... why? It's good that you're aware of it and recognize it as a bad thing, I guess, but why would you be uncomfortable about playing with a gay person? We're talking D&D, not doctor.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

There is a thread in 4chan
    Rules 1 and 2.

That said, I've never played with anyone I knew was homosexual. The place I play at doesn't seem like it'd attract anyone, regardless of orientation, for that matter, and in school I never asked. I don't care about your orientation as long as you're willing to roleplay, even if you want to munchkin while you're at it.

Just my two cents. Forgive me if I'm not making sense, I'm tired and barely skimmed the thread.

29. - Top - End - #29

Raises tentacle. Why make gay people different to anyone else, its only their sexuality, and its a game, not a guy on guy orgy. Geez.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    I... why? It's good that you're aware of it and recognize it as a bad thing, I guess, but why would you be uncomfortable about playing with a gay person? We're talking D&D, not doctor.
    Bad past experiences and uncontrollable discomfort. Sure its D&D not doctor, but its long periods of time that I just can't handle. I know my phobias and limits and I try to stay away from them because I can't control my reactions sometimes. For example, I have a bad fear of heights and when I set it off I go into a nervous break-down, not fun. So I stay away from instances where I might set off the phobia, same kind of thing with homophobia. It does not mean I can't interact, its just the hours upon hours of interacting. I guess, sort of what I'm saying is that not all homophobes are for purely conscious reasons and should not be universally condemned.