New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Good, Law, Chaos and Evil domains

Am I the only ones who find these extremely useless?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Good, Law, Chaos and Evil domains

Yup, you are. They could be better, but they're far from useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno... They're not quite as bad as the Healing domain, but they're still a lot weaker than any other domain. Most of their spells are already on the cleric list (Law gives you two new spells; the others give you only one), and the granted power doesn't give you any new capabilities, it just slightly increases the power of a small number of your spells (really, how many spells are there with the alignment descriptors?). It just doesn't really stand up to Travel, or Strength, or Luck, or the elemental domains, or Trickery, or...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

They are the only ways to get Holy Smite/Word and the other variations, and therefore the only way to qualify for making aligned weapons. That in itself is quite solid. Compared to some of the other freaking broken domain abilities, +1 CL is not so great.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

They also are kinda okay if you're going to make a summoning cleric.. as that means your aligned summons get an extra round of life..

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Align Weapon is 2nd level cleric spell

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamdead7 View Post
    Align Weapon is 2nd level cleric spell
    I think he means you need the domain spells in order to craft aligned weapons... which is a rather specific purpose that's probably not worth burning a whole domain on.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

If we can get into homebrew territory, I usually have the domains let you turn outsiders of the opposite alignment, a la the Earth, Air, Fire, and Water domains. It certainly makes as much sense as being able to turn undead, or elementals.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It would seem that overall, the problem is that there is a plethora of domains in existence, but only a handful that are actually considered worth taking on charop boards.

In other words, the power level varies wildly between domains.

Btw the healing domain's main purpose is, I suppose, being taken by Arcane Disciples.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by doorknobdeity View Post
    If we can get into homebrew territory, I usually have the domains let you turn outsiders of the opposite alignment, a la the Earth, Air, Fire, and Water domains. It certainly makes as much sense as being able to turn undead, or elementals.
    That makes some sense, but isn't it a bit too powerful? The alignments are a mixture, see: so there are loads of outsiders with "Law" in their alignment - you get three types of targets instead of the one that the other domains grant.

Perhaps you could sacrifice Turn / Rebuke Undead to get Turn / Rebuke Opposite Aligned Outsider?

By the way, if you were going to turn or rebuke an outsider due to their alignment, which get rebuked and which are turned? With undead its evil characters who get to control undead - should evil characters get to control good outsiders though?

Sorry to open the wormy can, but hey: it was asking for it.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I dunno... They're not quite as bad as the Healing domain, but they're still a lot weaker than any other domain. Most of their spells are already on the cleric list (Law gives you two new spells; the others give you only one), and the granted power doesn't give you any new capabilities, it just slightly increases the power of a small number of your spells (really, how many spells are there with the alignment descriptors?). It just doesn't really stand up to Travel, or Strength, or Luck, or the elemental domains, or Trickery, or...
    I like the healing domain. It means that you don't have to waste a spell slot on healing spells.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    I like the healing domain. It means that you don't have to waste a spell slot on healing spells.
    Er ... spontaneous healing?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    By the way, if you were going to turn or rebuke an outsider due to their alignment, which get rebuked and which are turned?
    I suppose you'd turn/destroy creatures of the opposing type and rebuke/command/bolster creatures of the same type, just like you do with elemental turning.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Er ... spontaneous healing?
    Er, well, um. y'see, er...REJECTED.

Yeah thats my argument and I'm sticking to it. Though I will admit that their are better domains.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World