New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

Earlier when the others are looking over the reports, Deirdre points out how it looks like an important official was intervening in the proceedings.

----

"Fresh paint... that's not a good sign..." Deirdre says. "You know what else? I think we're right next to Sheafe Street too..."

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Izzy starts walking through the ruin, looking for any other paint marks.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you all begin to investigate the area, whether it be the strange painted symbol or the interior of the chapel a cold wind blow. "I'm really not likin' this place... gives me the creeps." Lois mutters as she flinches from a snapped twig somewhere off in the distance.
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    As you're investigating the paint, suddenly the symbol seems to throb in your vision, pulsating, as feel short of breath. You recover, but every now and then there's something that beats ever so slightly against your brain.

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    You proceed further into the chapel and as you look around, the migraine from earlier returns, albeit, it seems to be just a slight headache now. Despite this, the world spins in and out of focus as you gaze upon the ruins.

Yitzhak presses in farther, finding blocks of granite, old half-burnt timbers, and ancient rubbish that all cover the rotten wooden floorboards of the ruined chapel.
    ----

Both of you please give me a Luck roll. Note for posterity that Lois has failed her roll.

4. - Top - End - #334

DruidGirl

Luck (o’ the non-Irish): (d100)[4]

Edit: YASSSS
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-01 at 09:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335

DruidGirl

”Umm...maybe better for the daytime, is this excursion?”

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah.." Deirdre says. "I mean, at least we know it's here. Maybe we could come by early tomorrow morning?"

7. - Top - End - #337

DruidGirl

Izzy nods, and carefully starts making his way out of the ruin and back toward the hotel.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, I guess it's best for Lois, of all people to fail...
    ----

Lois turns her head as you all are leaving, "Wait, is tha'..." She takes a step forward to investigate something in the corner, when suddenly Lois shrieks as the floorboards of the chapel come crashing down, plunging her into darkness.
    ----

Lois Failes her Jump roll, but decides to Push it by grabbing on to the edge at the last minute, twisting her body in a way that could've been very painful if she did indeed fall, and she gets a Success.
    ----

Luckily she just barely manages to grip onto the edge of the newly-formed pit. If she was less athletic, that fall would've been quite dangerous. "Can someone, uh, help me up, please?" (Presuming someone does).
    Gathering yourselves, it's then when you realize that there's actually a basement of some kind here. The pit leads down into it, but do you dare to delve deeper into darkness?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, Lois!" Deirdre cries, as she runs up to the edge (with Izzy?). She kneeled down and all, but was probably better for moral support than anything else.

After they help her up, she says, "Geeze, this building is probably condemned! Um, like we were saying.. maybe it would be best if we just came back early in the morning?"

10. - Top - End - #340

DruidGirl

”Whoah!” Izzy runs over and tries his best to provide some leverage.

“Absolutely,” he says in response to Deirdre’s question.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods as she's helped up, "Maybe with some flashlights n' rope..." You all then return in the cold autumn air to the Parker House Hotel for a good night's sleep, ready for a day of investigation and travel.
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    The strange throbbing seems to dissipate when you vacate the premises of the chapel...

Show
    The strange disorientation and headache seem to dissipate when you vacate the premises of the chapel...

Boston, 8:52 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Right as you're about to head in, however, Lois notes, "Ya' both go on ahead, I have a couple of things I wanted to pick up in tha' shop, might as well buy tha' equipment as well, too." She then leaves into the night, with the both of you settling down for a good night's rest (as good as it can be discovering you're on the trail of... something).
    ----

Also a good time to update notes.
    ----

Boston, 8:04 AM, Thursday, November 3rd, 1921

You both decided to wake up early today (I presume) in order to both catch the train as well as investigate the chapel. When you head downstairs for breakfast you see Lois is already there, eating a plate of Eggs Benedict. In between bites (not in a rude manner, mind you, more hasty, I guess) she notes "Sorry, I hope ya' don' mind I started without ya', figured we had a long day n' this stuff looks great!"
    It doesn't take long for the both of you to purchase your respective meals as well (we can RP this out should you want, but I don't want to take up too much of your time), and eventually, you're ready to depart. "To tha' chapel, then?" Lois asks, clutching a coil of rope in one hand and a flashlight in the other.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

"Wow, you sure outdid yourself, Lois," Deirdre comments. She tries a normal mixed breakfast platter with hash browns, but it's just not quite as good as Joe's.

--

After they get the show on the road, they arrive at the dilapidated chapel once more. "Lois, since you're an engineering student... Um. You think there are some obvious things we should avoid here? Don't want the place to collapse on us."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods, looking around. "Hmmm... well tha' structure sure isn't sound, mind ya', I can see tha' now in tha' light, but uh, without lookin' below ta' see the state o' tha' foundation, I'm 'fraid I'm not really sure if there are gonna be any collapses... I don' think the walls should be comin' down any time soon unless we'd take a hammer ta' tha' thing, but uh... I don' know.

14. - Top - End - #344

DruidGirl

”We could start by heading down the hole we made yesterday, maybe? Or look around for some stairs or such that could be an entrance to the basement.”

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Many portions of the chapel have collapsed due to rubble and there are no sets of stairs immediately visible to you.

Spoiler: Successful Combined Archaeology and Extreme Idea (Intelligence) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    Based on the layout of chapel, you would surmise that the there would be stairs down to a basement, but most probable location appears to be cordoned off due to the rubble.

Lois shrugs, "'S why I brought rope." She looks around to try and set up some sort of pulley-esque/brace rope system.
    ----

Lois Fails her initial Mechanical Repair roll.
    ----

Finding nothing immediately suitable (and safe), she decides, being the spirited woman she is, to play it dangerous and adheres it to a bit of unstable rubble. However, after actually attempting this procedure she pulls on it experimentally and it seems relatively safe. She shrugs, "Good enough."
    ----

She subsequently Pushes the roll (with the rationale that she's going to attempt this with little regard for her safety), and gets a Success.

16. - Top - End - #346

DruidGirl

Combined roll: (d100)[46]

17. - Top - End - #347

DruidGirl

Izzy heads over to test the rope. If it seems secure, he’ll head down as well.

(Do we still see the painted symbols? Any weird feelings while on the grounds?)

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nobody except for Lois actually mentioned entering the chapel just yet, my apologies.
    ----

The symbol is still there, even more clear in the daylight than before. The system itself seems relatively secure and Lois hands you her flashlight before you descend.

Show
    As you're looking out for said symbol and subsequently heading down the rope the ground seems to move in the distance, as your stomach heaves from the spectacle. As you arrive you see that you’ve entered into a part of the basement that was sealed off from the rest, originally reached by separate stairs now buried under tons of rubble.
    Within this room, next to a cabinet, lying against the rubble you see two scorched skeletons dressed in tattered crispy silk robes; these are... dead... people...
    ----

Please give me a Sanity roll.

Lois calls down to you, "Wadda ya' see, Izzy? Anythin' there?"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre isn't too keen on climbing down a hole from a collapsed floor. "Yeah, you see anything down there?" she calls out.

20. - Top - End - #350

DruidGirl

Sanity: (d100)[88]

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The way that these people died, you can imagine, from the burn marks literally being burned to a crisp, as you feel yourself instinctively reach into your coat and grip your pocket Torah as hard as you can.
    ----

You have lost 2 sanity from seeing this.

22. - Top - End - #352

DruidGirl

Izzy doesn’t respond for a moment.

”Um, yeah, there’s something down here,” his voice wavers. “Some bodies. It’s pretty gruesome.”

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois' face darts towards Deirdre, as she mouthes "Bodies?" She then calls down. "Anything... else or is it just... bodies?"

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

"They're.. really old, right??"

Right? she thinks to herself? The raid was 9 years ago...

Hm. But a bunch of people were arrested. Why would there be bodies here after that? And somehow, the officer set the place on fire by shattering a lantern on stone? None of this was making sense, now that she thought about it.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-11-03 at 04:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

DruidGirl

”I think so? There’s not much left of them besides bones. They’re in robes...maybe a ritual?”

Izzy gathers his courage, then looks around the room for symbols or anything else of note; before heading over to check out the cabinet.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois once again looks towards Deirdre in confusion, as she wonders aloud "Were they maybe caught mid-raid, or somethin'?"

Show
    You check the room, and other than the meager dusty furniture, no symbols can be seen. It is then when you open the cabinet that you actually discover something of... well, little note. You're able to see in the dim light of your flashlight several moldering records, what you presume to be of the church.

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    However, you notice something else as well, the cabinet is actually set off of the ground slightly, almost like there's something under... huh. Two books, one much larger than the other but visibly ruined, and another small but still substantial one are serving as a sort of stand to prop up the cabinet.

Spoiler: Failed Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    With the flashlight you dart around, but it's too hard to get a good luck at everything here. It's all dusty, and all you really notice are plenty of sharp and jagged ends of ruined infrastructure. But maybe there's more here than meets the eye?
    ----

You may Push the roll if you so choose.

27. - Top - End - #357

DruidGirl

Spot hidden: (d100)[9]

28. - Top - End - #358

DruidGirl

“Yes it looks like it could have been from the raid.”

”Some records are down here...”

“Oh and some books!”

How heavy is the cabinet? If it looks like it’s not risky, Izzy will try to move the books out from underneath.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The cabinet basically falls to pieces as you lift it up, well, at least it's easy to grab the books now...

30. - Top - End - #360

DruidGirl

Izzy grabs the books and the records, and hurries out of there back up the rope.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-03 at 06:24 PM.