New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Animal Companion class

Animal Companion pure class. Your animal companion and you improve at a similar rate, each as a sort of half-character. How balanced is it?
    You are slightly more tanky than a barb, but effectively lose half your features at half health,
    You get more attacks per round than a fighter of equal level, but will be considerably less powerful than most weapons a fighter will be using,
    otherwise, you get no major spellcasting, tanking ability, skill/control features, etc

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkbihdZ49V

Oh, also, I didn't realise the beastmaster existed when I started this.

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Animal Companion class

On your turn does it attack for free or do you have to command it.
    Like the beast master this will be hard to balance since it upsets the action economy.
    As of right know this class is the best 1 level dip ever such is a bad sign.
    I hope you can consider these problems and find a solution because it is a wonderful idea and would be so cool if it currently wasn't broken
    Its poisoned, obviously

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Animal Companion class

Quote Originally Posted by Leathalsandwich View Post
    On your turn does it attack for free or do you have to command it.
    Like the beast master this will be hard to balance since it upsets the action economy.
    As of right know this class is the best 1 level dip ever such is a bad sign.
    I hope you can consider these problems and find a solution because it is a wonderful idea and would be so cool if it currently wasn't broken
    So here's the thing, beastmaster big time sucks, for that particular reason. Theres a lot of ways to "break" the action (for example, it only requires your action for a familiar to attack, not to act), and you dont really have a way to get the animal companion back if it does die until around level four in the class (generally you should still be able to keep it up with a well-balanced party, but if it DOES go, theres a reason to not level-one dip) and it only improves as you level up the class, so dipping isn't a huge issue I think. You could get the same value if you took magic initiate for find familiar or animal bond, let alone the sweet cantrips. Otherwise, does it seem well balanced? I'm really concerned about potential game shattering

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.