New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Leaving a calling card...

In a game I'm joining up, I've decided to play a Bard who goes by "The Gold Jackal" or the like and leaves either tiny figurines, plaques or literal cards depicting said animal in an attempt to gain noteriety.

However, this creates two problems-

1- How do I go about making these things? I don't have space to invest skill points in "Craft: Tiny statue", and being a bard I don't have access to any "Fabrication" spells... (Edit: And leaving an illusion or summoned creature might be dangerous and dispellable.)

2- How do I get away with it without being tracked? Spells and most objects can be used to scry, and if I get an artisan to make them for me it might be traced back to him.

Sadly, this game is limited to core only, and I'm low on options. Maybe I can get a wand of "Fabricate" or the like to make them with...? I don't know. Any suggestions
    Last edited by Eldritch_Ent; 2007-10-17 at 11:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Leaving a calling card...

You don't have enough skill points as a bard?

You could use the pigments that make what you paint become real. That involves a craft check as well.

You could invest in a higher int, which would both help your craft skill and give you more skill points to spend on craft.

You could commision the cards, etc.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I hardly imagine that Craft: Business Card would be that hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

4. - Top - End - #4

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    You don't have enough skill points as a bard?
    One can NEVER have enough skill points as a Bard. Or Rogue.

But seriously, I can't spare any skill points- I get 9 per level, (14 int + human) and they're all going to maxing 9 specific skills and keeping them there... I might be able to get away with swapping my int and CHA, but as a bard that'd be... Risky.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't mean to be rude and cramp your role-playing style, and even though I respect your choice of a name, it may be a little difficult. Calling cards are usually bio-matter, for the reason that they are usually difficult to trace, and if they are scryed, the scryer just gets a bush, tree, or bird.

If you like the flavor of the Jackel, or just thing it's a cool name, here are a few suggestions:

-A gold piece, treated with a minor illusion to make it seem like instead of another national symbol, there is instead a smiling jackal. This has the bonus of the recipients thinking they see the jackal, but when someone else inspects it, the illusion has worn off, and the target feels paranoid and alone.

-If you want them to be actually jackal coins, this would be more difficult, but not impossible, gold has a fairly low melting point, just get a signet ring from someone you trust with your jackal on it, and emboss the coins with them.

-If you like the style, you could obtain some jackal fur, and either paint it gold, or melt down gold, and cover the fur. Cut it up into tiny pieces, and you have tiny swatches of gold fur that you can leave that are hard to scry (They would only get the jackal).
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

How long do the Prestidigitation creations last? Would they be scryable to you? How hard would it be to change playing cards into "Golden Jackal" cards with Prestidigitation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be a "Gold Jackal", any sort of "Adjective Organism" would work, like the "Jeweled Scarab", the "Painted Falcon", or the "Fabrage Paramecium".... Just any cool Semi-political "Internation spy" type pseudonym.

The problem with scrying is, so long as I've owned it, it will still give that -4 to my will save. (Though that's made up for by the +5 bonus from people only having "heard about him"), and if something has my name/mark on it, then that's pretty obviously "one of my possessions"... However, those are some pretty neat suggestions so far- I really value the input. Thank you very much!

Edit: Actually, the whole "Putting an illusion on a coin" idea is great, since the gold piece will have been owned by the victim, but is bad for the same reasons that just leaving an illusion would be bad. Unless I acquired some form of "Signet Ring of Heat Metal"... Actually, that would be kind of cool...
    Last edited by Eldritch_Ent; 2007-10-18 at 12:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

As long as this calling card isn't expensive, you should be able to make them fairly quickly even untrained. MW Artisan's tools might help too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Fanfiction R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Calling cards are a bad plan. They inspire people like Hercule Poirot to track you down and ensnare you. :P

Ever considered carving your symbol into something like Zoro (only less flashy) can't track that.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

arrange the bodies

paint in blood

always kill every last squirrel/rat in the instance dungeon

remove a specific body part from every foe

ALWAYS torch the place before you leave

use social skills to leave anonymous rumors about your passing after the fact

^ some ideas for alternate "calling cards"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    Unless I acquired some form of "Signet Ring of Heat Metal"... Actually, that would be kind of cool...
    Or you could just punch them in the head, leaving a (semi) permanent mark in their foreheads. Maybe of a skull.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Do the signet ring. Get it in a jackal design, or whatever you like. Get a few sheets of parchment and some gold sealing wax. Roll up a blank piece of parchment all official like and seal it with the wax and ring. Instant calling card, and the most expensive thing on that list is the 5gp signet ring.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

One possible possibility...give him one level in sorcerer or wizard to give him acess to 'Arcane Mark' 'inscribes a personal rune (visible or invisible)'. Or give him a wand of arcane mark.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

you could use craft: origami. just write it in in one of the blank spots on your skill column. unless you roll a 2 or lower, your character will do fine.

1. get some paper
    2. make it gold(paint, glamer, gold paper, etc)
    3. beat a dc 5 craft check
    4. ????
    5. profit
    Last edited by reorith; 2007-10-18 at 05:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    [...] "Gold Jackal" [...] "Jeweled Scarab" [...]
    Secret of Evermore?
    Thanks to Ceika for the awsome Flamebringer avatar.

As Captain Leif Meldrock says in "Mars Needs Lumberjacks": "I'm ready for anything!"

Thanks to Baboon Army for the great Evermore avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Signet ring and candle wax or sealing wax.

Leave your mark on the door, forehead, etc.

Have a couple of specially made up "cards" to leave in special places when the wax isn't enough.

Even though adventurers don't use them, candles are probably a very common item found.
    All hail the Dark One!

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" I'm a level 8 Idiot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think your best bet to avoid having the "object has been owned by the person" has pretty much been mentioned here. Leave your mark in or on one of the victim's possessions. Use the victim's candle for the wax to put your seal in. Use a small brand (magical, or use the victim's fireplace to heat it) to burn your mark into their wooden table. No magic left over, nor any of your possessions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't the point of leaving a calling card "I did it, and I don't care that you know, because you'll never catch me!" If you're going to be afraid of Scrying...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I once played a monk who had a signet ring with his Orders emblem on it. He used to leave calling cards all over the place. Mostly on foreheads.

If you're going to go down that route, why not get a cookie cutter type affair? you could use it on all sorts of surfaces, wood, paper, flesh. The possibilites are enldless!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Isn't the point of leaving a calling card "I did it, and I don't care that you know, because you'll never catch me!" If you're going to be afraid of Scrying...
    In D&D, leaving a "calling card" that could be scryed is like in the real world leaving one with your address and social security number on it. There's a difference between "haha, it was me!" and "...and here's where to find and catch me!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

You could get an Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location, or a wand of Nondetection and just keep casting it continually :P

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless View Post
    Secret of Evermore?
    Better an obscure source than not. Imagine if his bard was called the 'Night Fox' and his calling card was an ebony fox figurine. Only a level 20 Danny Ocean could stop him.

23. - Top - End - #23

Four words: Wand of Arcane Mark. You could also get your DM to accept a homebrewed Signet Ring of Arcane Mark, but that takes up a ring slot. Maybe you could get him to let you use a stamp-shaped wand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #24

Wand of Arcane Mark is your best bet. Definitely.

Now go and make the women cry for those pesky golden jackals on their precious floor...
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfBarbarianGuy

With some gold ink, you could just draw a simple, stylized drawing wherever you need one. It avoids the issue of owned property and can literally go just about everywhere (underwater and lava excepted)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

All things considered, I like the Arcane Mark idea the best.

In a slightly different direction than others have gone....

Have you talked to your DM about this? Would they let you custom design your own Bard spell(s)?

If so you could have a scaling series of "Calling Card I - VI" spells, each fundamentally does the same thing, each becoming fancier and fancier and having longer durations, with more protections against scrying and the like.

The Calling Card I could be say, a plain business card that disintegrates when someone tries to cast scry.

Calling Card VI could then be a life size statue of a golden jackel complete with a Magic Mouth and deliberately misleads people trying to scry you.

Thats my thought anyhow..

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRangerGuy

It was inspired by an episode of batman the animated series, I buy masterwork caltrops the shape of an animal.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless View Post
    Secret of Evermore?
    Great, now I'm going to have to use the "Mighty Mudpepper" as my pseudonym... Or perhaps "Metal Mosquito"...
    Okay, I honestly wasn't thinking of SoE when I came up with the name, but I still stand by "The Jackal".

I think I'll go with a signet ring and make it myself- even if I have to take 20 for it. (It's what, half cost for making it myself times 20 for taking 20... So 50 gold? :P )

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

One possible possibility...give him one level in sorcerer or wizard to give him acess to 'Arcane Mark' 'inscribes a personal rune (visible or invisible)'. Or give him a wand of arcane mark.
    Even better, if you can pull it off, is to convince the DM to let you have Arcane Mark on your bard spell list. It's not like a cantrip is overpowered, and it'll add flavor to the game, so most DMs will go along.

There's a question... If Wizzy the Wizard makes a wand of Arcane Mark, and I use it, does it leave my personal mark, or Wizzy's?

30. - Top - End - #30

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    There's a question... If Wizzy the Wizard makes a wand of Arcane Mark, and I use it, does it leave my personal mark, or Wizzy's?
    I think it would leave whatever sort of Mark was "programmed" into it. IE the Wizard could program it with his mark, or with your mark if you comissioned it from him...