New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

"She's right, Captain sa'ab. This coward isn't going to stand and fight. We'll be in range within thirty minutes, but we want to capture the Fifth relatively intact, and by that time the Cobras will be swarming Captain Armelan and the Fury. We should come about and help. If we let them know that their master is running and we're coming to deliver the Emperor's Light by laser and missile, the Cobras may break off and run by themselves. They saw what happened to the Havoc and the Claymore."

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

++Another ship to the collection and another fun time of Servitor manufacturing, shame the Fury will be out for a long time++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++Another ship to the collection and another fun time of Servitor manufacturing, shame the Fury will be out for a long time++
    'I would accept them leaving.'

Assuming anyone answers the vox Anika will attempt to channel the worst kind of pirates and criminals that she'd had to deal with back home. People who were absolutely confident in their ability to do their worst to whoever got in their way. She's angry with the Cobras but will try to sound cheerful. 'Hello to whoever's in charge over there. You managed to ambush us and you saw what we managed to do to your friends so I think that's rather a draw so far. Now if I were you I would check with your augur operator to see if you had any idea that we were here, and I'd ask myself what else we might have in the area that's currently approaching your position.' Lying was often easy really. It wasn't that large a step from dealing with some idiot at a spire party to something like this.

'If I were you I'd be wondering what we're doing here in the first place, and how we know that you're probably one of Baldridge's people. Someone's a little upset with who he's been talking to on the quiet and he sent us to clean up. It was only a matter of time before one of you decided to show yourselves. Now if you're just an honest criminal trying to make his own way I can sympathise so I've decided to give you a chance. Surrender or run. It's really all the same to me. If you resist us here or we find you standing with Baldridge again in the future you better pray to whatever Gods you observe that we don't take you alive.' If nothing else, being able to make these threats made Anika feel better.

Spoiler
    Show

Deceive vs. Fel 47 (+10 Peer Underworld)
    (1d100)[72]
    Going to keep that Fate point to reroll here if I fail
    (1d100)[70]

I'll roll Intimidate for the end threat as well, but believing that we have more ships is more important
    Intimidate vs. Str 30/2
    (1d100)[65]

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'I would accept them leaving.'
    Kennoch thought for a moment, pulling his mind away from the vast loss of human life he'd just witnessed. "But they will they only regroup with Baldridge with Baldridge if we allow if we. Then we will then have to face have the other half other of their fleet fleet without the Fury Fury Fury. If there is if to be a fight fight, then I think then I it is better better to take them now take take now."

Still, he liked Anika's idea of rattling them into submission if possible. Once she'd had her chance, Echo plugged a vox-cable into the helmet of his voidsuit. His creepy voice bounced around the enclosed shell, soft and ominous, reproduced across the enemy squad.

"Our Seneschal is too kind too kind is kind," he said. "For the ignorant for, I tell you now tell you that you face face the fleet of Absalom Absalom Absalom Absalom. Loyal friend of the loyal Inquisition Inquisition Inquisition Inquisition and the Ministorum Ministorum Ministorum Ministorum . Servant of the Emperor servant Emperor. Guardian of Man guardian. Killer of pirates killer pirates.

"We will take we will your ships ships. This is a this is foregone conclusion conclusion. The only question is only is: will we also also have your lives have lives? Your fellow criminals fellow already submit to justice submit or float dead float in the void void. Your leader flees leader, though it will do it will him no good no no good. And thus your choices your are plain are are:

"Surrender now or perish surrender perish."

Spoiler
    Show
    Letting this squad, and the Sword, flee to regroup with the other Cobra squad and the Viper sounds like a bad time to me. The Grace isn't much help, and now obviously the Fury is none at all. I think we need to take out these Cobras here and now, one way or another, to even have a chance at hitting the survivors at their base. Unless we're willing to cut our losses, go back to Port Davis for repairs, and try again later.

Trying to make them surrender, not just run away.

Intimidate (I dunno if this is Strength, since it's a blunt threat, or Charisma, since they can't see who's speaking. Also don't know if Ill-Omened and Scorn of Dirt-Dwellers could apply either, but I am assuming I can use Disturbing Voice. So: 37 or 34, +20, +10 Disturbing Voice, -30 for difficulty): (1d100)[60]
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

There was a brief pause as Anika waited for the transmissions to complete. When the answer came, it was short.

"We don't know how ye know about Baldridge, but we don't think there's more'a ye coming, either. As there were, they'd have shown, or..."

They never found out what 'or' was, as Echo stepped in with his own threats, his many voices reverberating across the vox channel. Anika could only imagine what the effect was like on the recieiving end, filtered through static and interference and the likely shoddy vox equipment the Cobras were using. The incoming channels turned into a sea of voices, all talking at once.

"What the frak is that?"
    "Who cares? It's bad news, whatever the case"
    "Did he say Absalom?"
    "They're the lot that did for-"
    "They'll do for us!"
    "They already are. Look at what happened to the Lupus."
    "one volley"
    "Cowards, the lot of you!"

It rapidly devolved into panicked squabbling, two of the Cobras cutting their engines and signing surrender - the third pulled away from the group, anginges running hot, on a vector past the Grace and the Claymore. Both ships opened fire as it passed, one of the Claymore's volleys striking true. The main opposition was silenced, though, and the threat to the other ships largely dealt with. Up ahead, the fleeing Fifth Disputation slid into the arc of the Sting's guns, the targetting cogitators lighting up as the Auspexes acquired a lock. The plasma drives roared, the background hum of the ship's engines increasing in pitch, and the crew could almost feel the pulse of the ship, like a living thing, as the machine spirits thrilled at the chase. The Sword was her prey, and the hungry Shrike would not be denied.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #876

Lizardfolk

"Hah hah hah hah!" Kennoch exclaimed to himself with great satisfaction. The battle had decisively turned in their favor. He hadn't much doubted it, but now even that minimal concern was banished. He thought about the Sting and her hunger for another victory; this time, he felt glad for her vicious nature.

"So, Helmsmadam so--shall we shall prepare another volley prepare another?" In the excitement of this moment, he forgot that Hannabel wanted their remaining enemy more or less intact. Furthermore, the idea of a boarding action reminded Kennoch of his own goal. He hurried to the Captain's throne.

"Lord-Commander Lord Commander," he began. "If we are if to board the Fifth Disputation to board, I request that you request you allow my Rings Rings to join the glory join glory. I hope to capture hope the heretics' Navis Navis Navis. They could be could useful for my my hunt for the Castermares hunt Castermares. I would, of course would, take responsibility for take the prisoner prisoner."

Spoiler
    Show
    Discussed this with Destro over PMs, and he said that I could just roll this into the normal boarding action. Won't require any extra effort on Macharius's part; the Rings can just tag along with the other soldiers, and when the ship is captured, the Navigator's captured too. If Macharius wants to grant Echo custody of the other Navis from any surrendering ships, that'd be awesome too. But I would at least like the pirate flagship's Navis for my personal projects.

~ Sophistemon

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

The Sting rounded an asteroid, sending a volley of missiles at the fleeing Sword ahead. The jovian warheads impacted the ship's rear, blowing apart several of the manouevering thrusters but causing only superficial damage to the ship's overall structure. It was a testament to Hannabel's skill... and to the effectiveness of restraint when called for. Firing the lasers as well might have risked carving up too much of their valuable prize. Firing just the missiles had scratched their paint and rattled their teeth..

and put them in the perfect spot to be boarded.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #878

++Well then lets go get some servitor candidates++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika is disappointed that her lie hadn't worked. Perhaps she needed to practice more. Still the fact that they seemed to be developing a reputation was useful to hear about. 'If you're going over try to leave someone important alive. I would like to know where they berth their ships when they aren't ambushing people.'

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Excellent shooting, mad'fiei, that put the brakes on him! There's a double ration of grog in it for all of you once this fight is over," Hannabel congratulates the gunners.

"Now then, Croke, you should have no trouble laying us alongside that frigate, eh? The Captain sa'ab will be wanting to swing his...sword...in Baldridge's face right about now, so we must oblige him. On my mark, give us a slight nudge to starboard and then cut forward thrust. 3...2...1..."

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel brought the ship in smoothly, nudging up against the opposing sword almost gently. From a distance, the two ships might have been docking for negotiations.

The close up reality was far more violent. The Absalom marines cut their way through the enemy crew. It was a hard fight, and the enemy was clearly well-drilled, putting up a stiffer resistance than anything they'd previously encountered.. but it wasn't enough. One group, with Echo's Rings, split off to head to the Navigator spires. Another group secured the crew quarters. The fighting wasfiercest around the bridge, but the arrival of Macharius in full armour, wielding his Thunder Hammer like an avatar of the Emperor's vengeance, was enough to crush the remaining resistance and take the ship. The fighting was over, but there was still a lot of work left to do.

First order of business was the Fury. The Sting recieved several vox transmissions on her way back to the main group. From the captain, the Engineseer prime, and Elena. All were requests for assistance - the crew was heavily reduced, with many casualties, and were demanding answers, reassurances... and medical care - Elena's request was to transfer a large group of injured to the medicae decks on the Manticore's Sting, herself included.

Then there was the matter of the spoils. They had five captured ships, between the two frigates and the squadron of Cobras, and Charlabelle was requesting a meeting with Macharius to agree on an equitable distribution. The Navigator from the Fifth Disputation had been captured, and was being held under the care of the Rings of Castermire, waiting for Echo to arrive with questions. Ravia would likely be needed on the medicae decks, though if necessary her new servitor could stand in. Hannabel and Anika had their pick of the remaining tasks.

Spoiler: Ravia Only
    Show
    As Ravia approached the Medicae decks, tailed by Skull, the servo-skull suddenly stopped, darting down a narrow side passage and approaching a nearby cogitator-shrine. This was one of many scattered around the ship, though this one had clearly not been used in quite a while. Cracked and faded purity seals dangled from the casing, a thick layer of dust coating the screen and controls. Beneath the grime, though, the screen was active, glowing softly in the darkness. On screen, beneath a string of operations, the cursor blinked, awaiting user input.

+++BEGIN MONITOR
    +++FUNCTION: INITIALIZE A0451
    +++CODE SUBREF: DESIGNATION MANTICORE'S STING
    +++INITIALIZING+++
    +++
    +++
    +++
    +++
    +++INITIALIZATION COMPLETE
    +++CODE SUBREF: DESIGNATION WRATH ASCENDED
    +++INITIALIZING+++
    +++
    +++
    +++
    +++
    +++INITIALIZATION COMPLETE
    +++QUERY: BR - N6 - PKD1972+++
    +++IT IS THE BASIC CONDITION OF LIFE TO BE REQUIRED TO VIOLATE YOUR OWN IDENTITY+++
    +++CONTINUE: Y/N?
    +++Y
    +++INPUT COMMAND/LIBRARY/QUERY:
    +++C:\MSA0451\SYSTEM>_

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius rampaged through the traitors like the Emperor's wrath personified, giving no quarter to those that fought back. Bridge and ship secured, he sits on the command throne and orders loyalist crew from the Sting to come take control. He voxes to Charlabelle.

Quite a good bit of sport, if I do say so myself! Sorry for dashing off there, these blighters were being dreadfully stealthy, and we couldn't have them fleeing and bringing the whole fleet down upon our heads. They even managed to put up a bit of a fight at the end there. Capital shooting with the Claymore, though. I'll swing by in the Sting and Sword to chat.

He then speaks to the Fury. Men and women of the Fury. You have borne heavy losses today. There are many dead, and many more injured. Your beloved ship herself is wounded. Yet your sacrifices were not in vain. For through your actions, the pirate fleet is shattered, their ships captured or destroyed, their traitorous captains cast down. You braved the fire and the fury of the traitors, and stood unbowed. You weathered blows no other could stand. Like the most noble Sanguinius, you sacrificed of yourselves for the victory of light and truth. You are heroes of the Imperium and of Absalom, and you will be richly rewarded. For now, rest and recover. Shuttles will transport the wounded to the Sting. I bless you in the name of Him on Terra, for you have done truly holy work this day.

He turns back to his companions. Capital work, all! A bloody day, but a fine victory. Splendid shooting and piloting as always, Hannabel. Echo, any navigators who still live are entrusted to your custody. Anika, see who we can spare from our ships to crew the Sword and at least one of the Cobras- I want to have our people in charge.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

Answers. What answers could they possibly give? Don't get ambushed by torpedo ships. Perhaps do better at shooting them down when you really have to. Medical care they could probably do something about. An inspiring speech was a start at least, but Anika preferred to be practical. Still, sometimes she felt that it would be tremendously useful to do what Macharius was able to do. She'll vox those on the Fifth from the Sting's bridge, 'Macharius, do you think you can do without us for a bit? The Fury needs help now rather than later. If we have to ferry the wounded all the way over here by shuttle then we might as well give up now.' However well the boarding action was going, leaving them unsupported on a ship full of pirates seemed like a bad idea.

In the meantime Anika will issue some orders, 'Prepare fire control and repair teams to be shuttled to the Fury. I don't expect it to in good shape regardless but I'd like to think we can stop everything from getting worse.' A side benefit would be that the Fury's crew would know that they were trying to help. 'Our shuttles can help evacuate the wounded to the medicae decks over here as soon as they land.' She'll also check to see if the Grace could help with the Fury's wounded. Perhaps she could owe Charlabelle a favour if she objected. 'Someone keep an eye on the surrendered ships until we have someone trustworthy on board.' Some of them would be Charlabelle's problem, but she'd start thinking about people they could spare to go over there.

Then she'll vox the Fury's bridge directly, 'Captain Tolliver, help is on the way. If you can, tell us what to prioritize so we'll know where to start and prepare to have your wounded brought over to us.' Under the circumstances, she'd go over there herself if she had to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just going to go ahead and name the Fury's captain as it hasn't come up before.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius voxes back. Not a problem, old bean! We have everything under control here. The helmsman seems quite competent. No match for Hannabel, of course, but who is? I'll have him fly alongside you, see if there's anything this ship can do to help. He sounds extremely chipper.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Although Hannabel would very much like to be tearing through the Sword to inspect the archaeotech drive she expects to find there, her worry for her friends on the Fury is greater.

Once a sufficient number of marines and prize crew have transferred from the Manticore's Sting to the Fifth Disputation, she takes the helm and gently manoeuvres the Sting to dock with the crippled Turbulent-class frigate so that rescue operations can begin.

Before that, however, she voxes Macharius on a private channel: "Captain sa'ab, should you not be looking for Baldridge himself? The Fifth seemed a likely flagship for his fleet - has he been captured or killed?"

OOC: I think I'm having Hannabel act according to the agreement between Anika and Macharius.

Regarding the division of spoils, if our intelligence is correct, what's left of Baldridge's band is another squadron of Cobras and a Viper sloop (a scout vessel). I think we should agree to turn the Claymore and the currently captured Cobras over to Charlabelle if she continues to assist the pirate hunt and relinquishes any claim to the Sword and the still-to-be-captured Cobras. Alternately we just agree to split all captured Cobras - present and future - fifty-fifty. The disposition of the Viper can be dealt with later - it would be nice to have but we already own a good scout in the Talon.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Macharius' speech, coupled with Anika's efforts to aid repairs and assist the wounded, went over well. It took a couple of hours to get things rolling, but the Fury brought back to working order, at least in terms of her basic functions. It would take some actual directed repairs to the hull and drive systems before she could properly fight again, and quite a bit more to bring her back to full working order, but it was a start.

For her part, Charlabelle offered the use of her ship's shuttles to help ferry the injured. As a transport, the Sopha had plenty available, and the extra carrying capacity was a big help over the first hours of the operation. Once Hannabel had docked the Sting, the shuttles returned to Charlabelle's ship, the fleet of prizes and ships were brought to formation and began a holding pattern. One of the last people off of the Fury and bound for the medicae decks was Elena, who had stayed to see that everyone was properly seen to. The gunnery officer seemed a little unsteady, her uniform stained with blood, both hers and otherwise. The left sleeve was pinned closed over a rapidly bandaged stump, tied off to stop blood loss. She'd lost the arm to a piece of shrapnel when the Meltacannons were hit.

Baldridge himself was located, in amongst the prisoners from the Sword's bridge, during transfer. The Fury still had an operational brig, and it made for a convenient place to store all the captured pirates. Some of them even seemed to appreciate the irony.

Finally, Macharius - and whoever chose to go along - boarded the Aquila and went to meet Charlabelle. It was the first time any of them had actually been aboard the Grace of Sopha, and there was plenty to see. The transport was ancient, but well maintained and kept in good repair. The halls frequently showed signs of fresh maintenance, and all of the crew they passed carried themselves with a bearing of speed and efficiency. There were no downcast faces, no dark corners filled with malcontents. Everyone knew what they were doing, where they were going.

The meeting took place in a large boardroom located within the ship's librarium vaults. These were large, wood-panelled, and something of a contrast to the ones on the Talon. Where the Talon's vaults were cramped, filled with shelves piled high with books and scrolls on all manner of esoteric subjects, dimly lit and possessed of an aura of mystery, Charlabelle's were spacious and well-organised, given over primarily to ledgers and record-keeping. It was a set of rooms that would not have looked out of place in the Administratum spire of any major hive city. This was the one facility on the ship that wasn't purely designed for function, and even then Charlabelle seemed to have made it so. It was a glimpse at another side of the woman, a hard, business-driven side quite unlike the refined wealthy socialite appearance she had presented at Winterscale's party.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius enters in fine spirits, jovial as always. Ah, Captain Armelan! Thank you for hosting us. Lovely meeting room you have here. He engages in pleasantries for a few minutes, complimenting her ship and her crew's performance in the battle, before getting down to business.

Now, as to the ships we have captured so far. Fortunately, the most valuable part of it is easy. There are two frigates, and we each boarded and took one, so that's simple. What remains are the two Cobras that surrendered to my forces, the one you took, and the outstanding squadron, along with its attendant scout ship. As to those additional prizes, I have excellent news: my men have captured Baldridge. He currently languishes in our brig, as does his command staff. I am certain that appropriate persuasion can be applied to convince them to give up the location of their base and fleet. So, here is what I propose: we leave the final disposition of the smaller ships until we see how many we can capture at his base. In a concerted attack, we may end up with several more of the things. Better to work them all out at once than piecemeal, what?

18. - Top - End - #888

Lizardfolk

Kennoch stood attentively and listened to the Captain's speech, the silky words contrasting with his surely gore-caked Power Armor. Macharius's declaration left him delighted.

"Thank you thank, Lord-Commander Lord Lord-Commander," he said, making the sign of the Aquila. He found a lesser officer without delay and ordered that word be sent with the armsmen taking control of the Cobras: they should bring along some of his stasis-cages and imprison all Navigators for transport back to the Sting. Echo would store them in his own tower for safekeeping. Only one Renegade at most should be awake at a time, and then only for Kennoch's questioning, under secure guard.

Unfortunately, his prudence didn't stretch much further. Kennoch had no personal experience conducting an interrogation. A professional would probably obtain more information about the prisoner first, form a plan, prepare the stage, and be ready for hours, days, weeks of work. Kennoch mostly intended to demand and threaten.

He made his way across the ship with excitement and confidence. Upon rejoining his Rings and getting a look at their handiwork, he wasted no time.

The Interrogation

"If you do if you not already know know know, you are held by held the Absalom Dynasty Absalom Absalom Absalom. And I I I, the Lord-Captain's servant Lord Captain's, Lord Castermire Castermire Castermire Castermire. Identify yourself, heretic yourself heretic."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kennoch will first see what he knows about this Navigator and their House.

Forbidden Lore (Navigators) (71): (1d100)[87]

Sadly, he doesn't have the Interrogation skill (yet!). So I'll see what Intimidate gets me. Probably not a lot, but hey, every plot-hook helps. Now, since Kennoch already has this person in his power, won't let them go even if they cooperate, and doesn't have much else to scare them with beyond what he's already planning to do anyway, I feel like it's more a matter of force of personality than threats. So, Fellowship rather than Strength this time, in my opinion, so his various Voidborn penalties may or may not apply this time.

Intimidate (64, maybe penalties): (1d100)[76]

The Meeting

By the time the huge ships had regrouped, exchanged thousands of wounded, and begun repairs, Kennoch was likely finished one way or another. He either had information he could use, or was too frustrated to continue now; both scenarios would put the enemy Navis in his new home of a cramped stasis-cage. A change of scenery might help Echo think, or calm his anger, so he joined Macharius to the Grace. Besides, he always enjoyed the chance to see a new vessel.

~ Sophistemon

19. - Top - End - #889

##Designated Auto Medicae Routines protocol activated##
    ##Order Triage process. Attend as needed. Delegate to Deck Staff on priority##

Spoiler: Destro Only
    Show

++Skul well done, attend our new companion and provide me with a visual link while I see to this++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Echo's Interrogation

Upon entering his spire to commence the interrogation, Echo found that much of it was taken up by a large fluid-filled tank. This had been transported, with some difficulty, by the Rings, and held within it one of the captured Navigators. The creature was a long was gone into the mutations that tended to plague older Navis, pale hairless and bloated, with webbed hands and gills. Arcane machines worked into the structure of the tank hissed and steamed, venting foul-smelling gasses. The Rings all stood some distance from the tank, avoiding the noxious fumes from its nutrient circulators and oxygen exchangers. The Navigator within wore no clothing, and Echo heard its bubbling laughter as he approached, like a grating presence against his mind.

"Sorry Master," Kimmel said, "Couldn't figure out how to get him out of the tank."

With no clothing, and no distinguishing marks readily visible, it was difficult for Echo to work out which house this Navigator might have belonged to. Near the base of the glass, though, he noted a small decorative plaque, coated in grime. Wiping some of this away revealed a coiled serpent, fangs bared as though waiting to strike - the sigil of House Typhon.

"Casssstermire." The voice came from the tank, issuing in a static-laden grainy hiss from vox grilles mounted on the front. "What name would you have from me?"

Meeting Charlabelle

"An interesting proposition," Charlabelle agreed. "Though I had been hoping to speak on the subject of the Frigates. The contract stipulated I would get the first prize, which was the Claymore. You captured the Sword as a secondary.. but the Claymore came out of the fight with a lot of damage. I'll need to put quite a few resources into fixing it up and getting it back to battle readiness, while the Sword remains mostly intact. I would prefer to take that one, and I'd give up any claim to the Cobras we already have here."

"The matter of the base attack is another thing..." She sighed. "I'm sure you've noticed the condition of the Grace of Sopha. She's a fine ship, and her crew is among the best. In a stand-up fight, though, she leaves something to be desired, which was the point of this whole expedition in the first place. If they've got a whole second set of ships and a permanent base located somewhere around here, why not cut our losses? Take what we've already captured and retreat to repair, regroup, recruit some more men."

Show
    Skull darted off to attend the Medicae deck. It would send a video feed to Ravia's dataslates, allowing her to keep an eye on any procedures carried out by the new servitor. There were to be quite a few of these, plenty of wounded crew having arrived from the Fury.

In front of her, the cursor on the console blinked silently.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #891

Lizardfolk

Interrogation

With a long stare and a grimace, Kennoch managed his disgust. How am I supposed to contain and care for this one? At least they're not likely to run off...but keeping them alive, their machinery functioning--and who knows what tech-heresy has been added to this tank...well, I just hope the Magos didn't use all the larger cages for her Ambulls.

"You did well you did," he nodded to Kimmet. After checking the plaque, he dusted the grime from his gloved fingers and frowned at his prisoner.

"Your own name own, obviously obviously. Unless your wretched ancestors wretched and your cowardly masters cowardly denied you a designation denied you. Perhaps you have perhaps a number number," he sneered insultingly. "Disgusting creature creature. The Warp Warp Warp Warp Warp Warp twists us all twists all, but your corruption your surely accelerated it surely. If your clan clan had kept the faith had kept, then you might you still know the still taste of air taste."

He walked in a circle around the tank and gestured to his Rings, speaking to them. "Behold behold, a sign of sign the Emperor's blessing Emperor's Emperor's Emperor's: my functioning legs my legs!"

Spoiler
    Show
    What's Kennoch know about House Typhon? Need another roll for that?

Meeting

Echo silently looked between the two Captains. Charlabelle's stance was the precise opposite of what he assumed they wanted. He, certainly, hoped they could finish what they'd started and put an end to this arm of Misson's operations. But he kept silent for now, trusting that Macharius could sway her opinion. That was the man's skill, after all (along with turning seditionists into lumps of giblets with his Thunder Hammer).

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will note Elena's injury with a certain amount of distaste before making inquiries about a good replacement. Even if the woman hadn't been injured while working for them by all accounts she was someone who was worth keeping around.

Time permitting she'll try and find time to investigate the pirates either before or after the meeting. Given what had happened to the Fury she wasn't exactly sympathetic, but she would like to see what they were dealing with. Firstly she'll spread the word among the Absalom loyalists if anyone had seen any sign of anything obvious heretical on any of the Pirate ships. She won't give details but assumes that actual worship of the Ruinous Powers was the sort of thing that might attract attention. Heretical symbols or strange alters didn't seem like the sort of thing that would be hard to miss. Secondly she'll borrow some Praetorians to loom menacingly behind her and go and have a chat with any of the surviving pirates who had seemed to be officers. She's not interested in making threats and they probably wouldn't take her seriously anyway. Instead she'll see if she can find anyone who was willing to talk about where this group got their supplies and recruits, assuming these things weren't primarily gained from the ships they'd been attacking.

The Meeting

Anika preferred the idea that they could make better use of the assets they had rather then quibble over gaining new ones. 'There will be other ships, presumably.' Even a broken ship was potentially an asset that could be built on. 'If we're going to take a look at their base I would suggest we avoid a fair fight as much as possible. I've now been on the other side of an ambush and I'd like to avoid it happening again at all costs.'

Spoiler
    Show

Do we have a good quality bionic arm anywhere
    Acquisition test if it helps
    vs. PF 51 (+0 Scarce) (+30 Single) (-10 Good)
    (1d100)[11]

Inquiry test to check for obvious chaos worship
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 Peer Military) (+10 Etiquette because command staff)
    (1d100)[75]

Inquiry test because it's a group of people maybe. Looking for anyone willing to talk
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 Peer Underworld) (-10 Enemy Pirates)
    (1d100)[2]

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel busies herself assisting Anika with the evacuation of the wounded crew from the Fury. She personally escorts Elena aboard the Sting and accompanies her as she's brought to the medicae decks.

"What is the meaning of this, Dassel? Who gave you permission to drop your arm like that? Is this a ploy to avoid having to salute the Lord Captain?" she teases as she walks alongside the stretcher. "This won't do, of course. Can't have you walking around with just the one extremity to fight with. No, we'll have to get you a new one - proper bionics too, not those third rate grafts the Magos likes to stick on her servitors," she chuckles, barely concealing her worry.

The Meeting
    With Elena settled in and well taken care of by Ravia's new medical servitor, Hannabel decided to accompany Macharius to the meeting with Madam Armelan. If nothing else, it might get her an opportunity to meet the Rogue Trader's mercenaries.

Listening to Charlabelle's arguments, Hannabel nods along until she suggests giving up the Cobras in return for the Fifth Disputation. Her stare bores into Macharius' back, willing him not to agree to such a deal.

Coughing discreetly, she interjects: "Burasa'ab Armelan, if it's a frigate you want, the reports indicated that there's a Tempest to be found among Baldridge's remaining fleet. And while it's true that we have sustained some heavy damage in this fight, I remind you that our three ships captured or destroyed twice our number. Most importantly, we have the pirate chief himself in custody. I am certain that with the right inducements, he could be persuaded to tell us enough about the disposition of his remaining ships and base to allow us to stage a successful surprise attack," she smiles wickedly behind her veil.

24. - Top - End - #894

Spoiler: Destro
    Show

++Wrath Asc, why would this come up now unless the Ident of the Fifth is linked to it++
    ++It is possible that the Item we seek from it was sourced from the same debris field, that star would leave a lasting radiation signature++

<<Input Query regarding the Fifth Disputation cross linked to the Wrath. Radiation Markers Highlight>>

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius smiles, but gets down to business. Repairs will indeed have to be extensive. As they will be on the Fury Incandescent, which bore the brunt of the enemy's guns to ensure our success.

As to the pirate base, I do not think turning our back to the foe will end well. These are Mission's men, they will be able to resupply and obtain more ships. We must strike them now, while they are weakened, and be done with them once and for all. Your point is a fair one, though, that the Grace is of less use in a stand-up fight. Here, then, is my plan. Hold position with the Claymore and Fury. Three ships' worth of guns will be enough to ward off casual attacks. I will take the Sword and Cobras to their base, posing as returning from a successful hunt while the Havoc and Claymore come behind with the prize. The Sting will follow silently. Once they are close, they will strike by surprise, crippling or destroying the enemy before they can fight back.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Anika

Anika couldn't find a good quality bionic replacement aboard any of the ships they had, but she could set aside the funding to buy one. Once they were back somwhere with a functional manufactorum, or a significant enough Mechanicus presence, it would be easy enough to track one down. She spent the rest of the time before the meeting interviewing various prisoners. There weren't any signs of chaos worship that she could find, these people seemed to be in line with the last pirates they'd fought - criminals certainly, but ordinary criminals. A lot of their recruits and supplies came from plunder, but one of them let slip that they had other sources as well. Part of the benefits they recieved from their alliance with Mission. They clammed up when questioned any further, though, unable or unwilling to tell any more.

Echo's Interrogation

A bubbling laugh issued from the tank's speakers. "Young Castermire. You see the Emperor's hand in everything, but man has had legs since long before the Emperor. You look on my form and see corruption, and degeneracy. Witness destiny, Castermire, for we are the future of mankind. You may call me Sargon."

Meeting Charlabelle

"Point taken, Macharius. We'll keep to the contract, then." Charlabelle sighed as she considered the arguments put forth by each of Macharius' crew.

"Yes, I'd certainly recommend avoiding a fair fight where possible... A surprise attack is at least better than nothing. We know what your Sting can do from an ambush, and with the returning ships having clearly been in a scrap, they'll be off their guard. I Certainly wouldn't say no to the Tempest, but it wouldn't exactly feel right to profit heavily off a fight I'd no stake in." She produced a large blank chart from beneath the table, and spread it out. An aide passed her a quill, and she started drawing. A large area for the asteroid field, several icons for ships...

"We're here. I still think it's a fool's errand to enact it without repairs first, but your plan is a good one. Get the drop on them and deal with the rest of the problem now. The base has to be somewhere nearby for them to hit so many shipping lanes in this region. I'm happy to leave the Grace here, with the Fury and the Claymore. We'll put skeleton crews on each. Enough to discourage breakout attempts, enough to operate the guns if anyone gets too curious. Hide them in amongst the asteroids, probably nobody even finds them. Have you got anything out of Baldridge yet?"

Hannabel

"Sorry ma'am," Elena said with a strained smile. "Seem to have misplaced it. Promise I'll salute the Lord Captain twice once I've found it again." She didn't say much more, though she did seem to be happy to have a chance to rest.

Spoiler: Hannabel Only
    Show
    Aboard the Grace of Sopha, Hannabel had the chance to look around a little before the meeting, while Macharius and the others were socialising. The Librarium vaults were large, and had plenty of good hiding places in them. One of them was occupied. Hannabel was greeted by a hoarse clicking laugh from the depths of the stacks as she passed.

"Curiosity prevails. I hear Madam Charlabelle of Clan Armelan has formed an agreement with Clan Manticore's Sting. I wonder if it is the same Clan to which Hannabel belongs, and if she is present, and now I know. How fare you, Hannabel of Clan Manticore's Sting?"

Within the aisle stood a Kroot, hooded and carrying his rifle slung over his back. It was hard to tell with the birdlike aliens, but Hannabel was reasonably certain this was Grig of Ch'tep, the kroot she had met back in Footfall.

Show
    The terminal stuttered as Ravia typed, then began processing her query. A burst of machine code scrolled past, too rapidly to follow, and then the screen printed a few lines of text.

+++FIFTH DISPUTATION
    +++SUBREF: MARCUS TULLIUS CICERO
    +++THE LIFE OF THE DEAD IS PLACED IN THE MEMORY OF THE LIVING
    +++RE: DEATH IS NOT EVIL
    +++RE: LIFE AFTER DEATH
    +++INCONCLUSIVE. PROCEEDING:
    +++
    +++SUBREF: SWORD-CLASS FRIGATE FIFTH DISPUTATION
    +++LAID DOWN 4.649.987.M36
    +++INITIATE AUSPEX SCAN AUTHORISATION MSA0451-1
    +++
    +++
    +++
    +++SCAN COMPLETE
    +++RADIATION SIGNATURE NOT FOUND
    +++CONCLUDE: SWORD-CLASS FRIGATE FIFTH DISPUTATION HAS NEVER ENTERED THE PROCESSIONAL OF THE DAMNED
    +++IT IS FORTUNATE
    +++
    +++INPUT COMMAND/LIBRARY/QUERY:
    +++C:\MSA0451\SYSTEM>_

It was an unusual answer, to say the least, but it did seem to deny a link between the Processional and the Sword.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Interviews

In Anika's experience individual pirates were as likely to have been press-ganged into service from frontier worlds or the ships that they had attacked so, perhaps outside of their leaders, she wasn't going to dismiss negotiating with them out of hand. She will repeat the general sentiment to everyone she spoke to that if anyone wanted any kind of clemency they might want to consider talking. If they were worried about how Mission or anyone worst might react to them talking, they also should consider how House Absalom, who were right here, would feel about them if they said nothing. After all, it wasn't as if Macharius or any of them had any reason to be nice.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Charm test if it helps. Although Anika is being good cop here so it's still basically a threat.
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 Peer Underworld) (-10 Enemy Pirates)
    (1d100)[39]

Baldridge

At some point Anika will round up any of the command staff who wanted to be included and will go and interview Baldridge. 'Remember, starting with threats towards someone you want something from isn't always the best way to go. If he expects to be thrown out of the nearest airlock why wouldn't he want to inconvenience us on the way out. If he really doesn't want to talk you could can always work out a punishment later.'

Regardless of who else is there Anika will again borrow some Praetorians on the basis that she wasn't particularly intimidating by herself. To Baldridge, 'Your people aren't that interested in talking to me. Maybe that's quite sensible from your perspective. But I know from personal experience that there's going to be a place where you go to pick up supplies and ammunition. All those torpedoes don't grow on trees, and it's frightfully boring for the crew to be expected to stay aboard their ships with no chance of entertainment forever. Now I wouldn't expect you to want to talk to me either but you should at least hear my pitch first. Namely I'm quite capable of spreading rumours about the fact that we both beat you and you told us everything you knew. Assuming you ever get out of the situation you're in, how do you think Captain Mission is likely to react to the news that you're a snitch? Whether it's true or not.'

Spoiler
    Show

Should have done this in the last post but didn't think to include it.

Charm test to come across better to this guy
    Fel vs. 47 (+10 Peer Underworld) (-10 Enemy Pirates)
    (1d100)[67]

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not yet. I'm letting him sit and stew for a bit. The wait will allow him to contemplate whatever fates may befall him, which can be as effective as excruciation in the short term. The mind conjures such terrible things in times of uncertainty. I'll speak to him once we're ready with our plan here. It sounds like we're more or less ready, though. Nothing like a reverse ambush to get the blood pumping, what?

After the meeting, Macharius lets Anika go in alone first to meet Baldridge. Perhaps she'd sway the man, perhaps not, but she had a tack in mind. Instead, he sweeps into the first mate's cell, back in his gore-soaked power armor, bringing the ship's confessor and an interrogation team. They lay out the tools of excruciation as Macharius towers over the man. You stand accused of heresy, recidivism, and treason against the Imperium. You have plundered Imperial ships and depredated the riches of Mankind. You have led pirates in opposition to the God-Emperor himself. For your crimes against life and property, naval law prescribes death. However, for blaspheming the Emperor's holy name, for standing with the enemies of Mankind, and for suspected consortion with agents of the Great Enemy, you have committed crimes against the God-Emperor himself. For such crimes, Ecclesiarchical law is clear. You should be denied death and instead sentenced to slow excruciation, that in manifold suffering you expunge the tiniest part of your guilt. Only when the body can bear no more pain should death be permitted. You stand accused of these grave crimes, and it falls to me to carry out the Emperor's will.

However, I am cognizant of the saying of Saint Theodamus III, that as long as a man lives, he yet has something to offer the God-Emperor. Perhaps you will choose to turn from darkness to light. Perhaps you will assist the servants of the Emperor in bringing holy retribution against those transgressors that still believe themselves free. There is yet a chance for you to redeem yourself in the eyes of Him on Terra. It falls only to you to decide to take it.

29. - Top - End - #899

Lizardfolk

Interrogation

That laugh could drive someone to madness, Kennoch thought, wishing he'd chosen a better example to prove his point. "...If you are you are the future future, then no wonder no why most of us most us look to the Imperium's look to glorious past past past. Not all change all is for the better is for. What have you gained have gained? Easy to see easy see what you lost lost lost.

"In any case case, the future is future at the mercy at the of the present of. And I intend I to see that see you are not lonely are lonely. I seek some seek of your fellow Renegades your fellow. Tell me what tell me you know of you the damned Castermares Castermares Castermares Castermares."

Charlabelle

Ahh, now this was better. With their plans back on track, Kennoch nodded approvingly. He waited until the meeting was finished before approaching Charlabelle for a question of his own.

"Lady Captain Armelan Captain Captain Armelan," he bowed. "I had wondered I had if you might might let me meet let me with your Navigator your Navigator while we are we in the same system same. I would enjoy would the opportunity the. Can you provide can you a brief introduction brief introduction?"

Baldridge

Echo hadn't planned to attend, but Anika's offer changed his mind. Maybe he could help unnerve the pirate captain as he had with the crew. More to the point, Kennoch wanted to see the man who'd willingly endured Sargon's company.

He found Macharius's speech comforting and proper. Seeing little to add at the moment, he stood by the door in his voidsuit and listened like a platinum statue.

~ Sophistemon

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Interrogation - Navigator

"Perssspective," Sargon said. He seemed to find something about Echo's request amusing, swimming up to the walls of the tank and pressing his hands up against the glass, webbed fingers splayed horribly.

"Fellow renegades? Tell me, young Castermire. Do you assume that all of those you would label heretics and recidivists are arrayed against you, all blobbed up together in hideous amalgamation lurking on the fringes of the Imperium? We are all equally complicit somehow, scheming together, trucking with aliens and daemons and worse in the name of our nefarious collective?"

He pushed away from the tank wall, twisting in the liquid to float somewhere in the middle, bobbing slightly up and down. "Nothing could be further from the truth. I will give you truth, if you so ask. Tell you of the Castermares. Such a similar name, Cassstermare. Cassstermire. How curious."

Interrogation - Pirates

Amongst the general crew, Anika found plenty who had been press-ganged, and were happy to agree to anything she wanted if it meant they could get out from under the pirates without being shot. Unfortunately, most of them didn't know anything relevant. They agreed that Baldridge recieved munitions and support from his arrangement with Mission, and that somewhere in the expanse was a verdant world of lush jungles and sparkling blue oceans, a haven for the pirates. One who had worked as part of the bridge crew said that even Baldridge didn't know outright how to get there - He only had a piece of the charts. This matched up with what they had found on the previous station. Baldridge knew where to start, but even from there you needed multiple chart fragments, and a combined jump plotted by multiple Navigators working in tandem. The man didn't know how many were strictly necessary, but reported that the jump had never been made with less than four.

Interrogation - Baldridge

Captain Baldridge proved to be a little man, full of face and broad of nose, with a small pointed goatee and neatmustache. When captured, he had been wearing a fine coat and cloak, and brocaded tunic, in rich purples and reds, as well as a hat rather like Quinn's, down to the large feather. Now, in a prisoner's jumpsuit from the Fury's brig, he looked decidedly less impressive. He listened to Anika's spiel in silence, only speaking once she was done.

"I think he'd shoot me. He didn't get to where he is by being overly trusting. It does rather assume I get out of the current situation though, doesn't it? Which I suppose hinges on giving you what you want. So damned if I do, and damned if I don't. What incentive do I have to do anything you ask me for?"

Interrogation - First Mate

"Bloody warp, had to go and get myself captured by one of the true believers, didn't I?" He muttered to himself, listening to Macharius' speech. "'Agents of the Great Enemy' indeed. I'm dead whichever way, mate, why not just shoot me and have done with it?"

Meeting Charlabelle

"Should still work out the details. I assume you'll be in command of the Sting? I'm willing to come along, with some of my crew, and I can think of two places for us. One, put us on the Sword and let us support you directly, or two, put us with the Cobras. I have enough men to make up a decent complement for them. The torpedoes would make a good zoning tool, or an alpha strike, especially if they've got a base. Something that big would be hard to miss."

To Echo: "I could arrange something, I suppose. After this next battle, maybe? We'll still need you along as escorts for the rest of the cargo run, I'm not exactly going to go on without seeing the contract through to completion on both of our sides."
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2021-03-05 at 08:54 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: