New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: rwbyOS X: Even the Thread Gets a Costume Change!

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: V8C12
    Show

I'm not going to get into a big ole discussion again, but this is what people were talking about when bringing up why this was bad. As if she didn't really feel or "get" hugs before. That's stupid and offense of them to imply otherwise.

I do agree that she looks dumb as hell now, with her naked little leggies. No rocket boots either, or swords, all she's got left is useless maiden powers.
    Spoiler: V8C12
    Show
    I mean, the whole actual nerve endings versus whatever sensors Penny had aside- which could go from functional enough to not crush stuff and recognise temperature to just as good (or better) as the real thing -the whole brain chemistry thing is new to her.
    Actually I'm impressed she's taking it so well.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #272
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Spoiler: v08c14
    Show
    No no no. That is NOT an ending. No. No.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: V8C13
    Show
    Yep. Ambrosius is a jerk.
    Oh well, they were warned.
    Should we be worried about Yang though?
    I mean, she can use her gauntlets (well gauntlet and robo-arm) to propel herself back, so she should be back eventually. Also, she's a title character. Unless they drop the Y she's probably fine-ish.

Team Evil was pretty impressive, considering Cinder's... well, I refer to Watts' rant.
    Watts tossing that apple away was easily the worst onscreen evil of the episode though.

And finally, Ironwood. I think at this point I almost want him to get the Staff, make his wish and spend the rest of his life in a empty city orbiting Remnant.
    On a second thought, no. Bad idea. By now he's cray-cray enough to try and force people back to prove it's the bestest way. Or shoot them because they can't go back through the one way portal. are dirty traitors sabotaging his glorious plan to save a small part of a single Kingdom all of Remnant.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Spoiler: v08c14
    Show
    No no no. That is NOT an ending. No. No.
    Adele has a good song about this from ... googles Fall 2012.

Wow Ironic for the Red Trailer dropped the same season only 1 month apart.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: V8C14
    Show

So, did they take writing tips from The Walking Dead, this season? Just an awful lot of character development with a stock hopeless downer finale.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey so I've got some thoughts on this one.
    Show

If y'all want a series that DOESN'T dehumanize disabled people, kill queer and disabled characters, and generally disrespects you, I can think of a few options. Just fyi. You don't deserve what RWBY did to you.

Even if it is incredibly funny that they decided to do the worst things they could possible imagine.

7. - Top - End - #277

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hey so I've got some thoughts on this one.
    Show

If y'all want a series that DOESN'T dehumanize disabled people, kill queer and disabled characters, and generally disrespects you, I can think of a few options. Just fyi. You don't deserve what RWBY did to you.

Even if it is incredibly funny that they decided to do the worst things they could possible imagine.
    If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it. No one is forcing you to watch it.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it. No one is forcing you to watch it.
    Thanks for the advice. This wasn't a case of me saying I dislike the show though.

9. - Top - End - #279

Show

If y'all want a series that DOESN'T dehumanize disabled people, kill queer and disabled characters
    Show
    Who died that's disabled or queer? Penny's a robot, not disabled, and we never got any hints or confirmation on her orientation. I guess we can say Clover was maybe gay for Qrow, but that was also never made clear. I honestly can't think of anyone disabled except Yang (severed limbs still count, right?), Neo (does non-verbal count?), Maria and Pietro, and I don't think any of them are dead. Unless we learned something about Watts, Arm Guy and Hazel recently?

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Show
    Who died that's disabled or queer? Penny's a robot, not disabled, and we never got any hints or confirmation on her orientation. I guess we can say Clover was maybe gay for Qrow, but that was also never made clear. I honestly can't think of anyone disabled except Yang (severed limbs still count, right?), Neo (does non-verbal count?), Maria and Pietro, and I don't think any of them are dead. Unless we learned something about Watts, Arm Guy and Hazel recently?
    Show
    Clover was definitely coded queer, Penny is absolutely queer coded and is symbolic of people with prosthetics (there was a whole conversation about that I think you missed it). Ironwood as well was just completely prented as inhuman once he got more metal in him, Winter (another character currently using assistive prosthetics) admonishes herself for being the machine compared to Penny (which is just more piling on that having artificial parts makes you inhuman).

That's not even getting into how ****ed up it is to have Jaunue, who can heal people, mercy kill Penny from an injury he could easily fix. Jaune, who is a disliked secondary character with no connection to Penny at all.

Yang and Neo both would count, those are disabilities, but they're not dead, just fake-out dead like the rest of the cast, which just seems disrespectful to the viewers.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: Vol 6 and 7 stuff in response to Vol 8 Chapter 14
    Show

When Clover died there was a scene immediately after of the snow, mountains, and sky where Qrow was screaming full of despair. The colors of the landscape of said scene was pink, lavender, and blue with something similar to the ratio (The ratio being 2:1:2 with the bisexual flag of those 3 colors.)

This is obvious subtext in the hands of other storytellers. Now let me discount it for I am not comfortable saying RWBY writers are that good of writers for that type of subtext... Furthermore we know the animators often give RWBY and NPCs new abilities all the time in little montage and “free chill and play scenes”, so the animators may sneaked it in and be intentional there when the writers had no intention.

Lastly there was a pink sky in the Adam backstory short so it could have been accidental symbolism for the animators do use a pink sky for sunrise and sunsets.

—————

*shrug* you can argue it multiple different ways. And would such symbolism apply to Qrow, Clover, or Both?
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-03-28 at 11:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282

Show
    (there was a whole conversation about that I think you missed it).

Winter (another character currently using assistive prosthetics)

That's not even getting into how ****ed up it is to have Jaunue, who can heal people, mercy kill Penny from an injury he could easily fix.

which just seems disrespectful to the viewers.
    Show
    Yep, I definitely missed that one. Fair enough.

Winter is using prosthetics? That's another detail I missed.

Jaune not healing her is especially egregious, considering he'd been boosting her for a hot minute with a lot of attention being spent on it.

"Disrespectful to the viewers" pretty much sums up this finale.

I will say, though, that "coded" isn't a super helpful term for me. Taken literally, the characters being queer or something "else" is deliberately obfuscated and is only readily apparent to someone who can "crack the code". I've never been able to read subtle implications in storytelling or have much lived experience to help with certain "coded" things, so I don't usually pick up on them.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2021-03-29 at 01:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283

Show
    Yep, I definitely missed that one. Fair enough.

Winter is using prosthetics? That's another detail I missed.

Jaune not healing her is especially egregious, considering he'd been boosting her for a hot minute with a lot of attention being spent on it.

"Disrespectful to the viewers" pretty much sums up this finale.

I will say, though, that "coded" isn't a super helpful term for me. Taken literally, the characters being queer or something "else" is deliberately obfuscated and is only readily apparent to someone who can "crack the code". I've never been able to read subtle implications in storytelling or have much lived experience to help with certain "coded" things, so I don't usually pick up on them.
    Show
    Entirely fair that you could have missed it, though I feel like even the subtext for Clover and Qrowe was pretty blatant. But if you don't know how to look for it, then it is hard to find it. Coding is, after all, typically used by people who feel they are not allowed or won't get away with explicitly saying "this character is X", so they're coded so that those who need to know know and media watchdogs won't sniff it out and stomp it out.

Probably the best example of this would be in... some episode, I don't remember which, where Clover leaps out of a plane, but before doing so gives a quick salute and wink to Qrowe and Qrowe basically turns into mush from it, just from his expression.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Barbarian in the Playground

Show
    Entirely fair that you could have missed it, though I feel like even the subtext for Clover and Qrowe was pretty blatant. But if you don't know how to look for it, then it is hard to find it. Coding is, after all, typically used by people who feel they are not allowed or won't get away with explicitly saying "this character is X", so they're coded so that those who need to know know and media watchdogs won't sniff it out and stomp it out.

Probably the best example of this would be in... some episode, I don't remember which, where Clover leaps out of a plane, but before doing so gives a quick salute and wink to Qrowe and Qrowe basically turns into mush from it, just from his expression.
    Spoiler: Season 8
    Show
    From what I've heard, this wasn't intentional. The intention was for Qrow and Clover to dislike each other from the start before gradually coming to an understanding, before getting cut short by a (stupid) fight to the death. Though the sheer incompetence to go from that to making their interactions seem wholesomely romantic is a special kind of fail. Doesn't help that some of CRWBY apparently realized it and started pandering and baiting despite knowing that it wasn't intentional.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Spoiler: Season 8
    Show
    From what I've heard, this wasn't intentional. The intention was for Qrow and Clover to dislike each other from the start before gradually coming to an understanding, before getting cut short by a (stupid) fight to the death. Though the sheer incompetence to go from that to making their interactions seem wholesomely romantic is a special kind of fail. Doesn't help that some of CRWBY apparently realized it and started pandering and baiting despite knowing that it wasn't intentional.
    Spoiler: V8 by association
    Show
    Yeah, this is in particular why Clover's death IS so ****ty. Not just that the absolute nonsense of "Qrowe teams up with the psycho killer who tried to murder him and his neices" but the fact that they went into this to make two guys who don't trust each other... and from minute one it's flirts and shy blushes. It's amazing how bad they ****ed this up.

Especially since they mentioned as well that with the pilot Weiss gets killed when trying to get to Haven, they were going to have him say he had a husband at home. LGBTA staff made it clear this would be a bad move, so they didn't do it... and then with the response to Clover's death, which was done without any feedback from LGBTA people, came back so powerfully negative, they said... they shoulda made the pilot gay before killing him.

So yeah.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-03-29 at 09:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who got into RWBY from a likely unique angle (reading a crossover fanfiction of it with an unrelated thingy before getting into regular fanfictions of it), I can state with certainty that this show is trash. The only part of actual RWBY I watched is the first season(?) that ends with that idiotic bullying subplot, it was so bad that I decided to not subject myself to any more of it. I'm sure it gets better later on (if only because it's physically impossible for something to be worse than what I watched) but I find myself flabbergasted that it became popular at all from such a start.

It's an objective statement that RWBY's fanfictions are FAR better than the real thing (there's a bafflingly large number of them too). I will take the fanfiction where Jaune's fake papers are too good so he gets hired as a teacher over the trashfire that Rooster Teeth put out. It's still less dumb than what I read in actual RWBY's summaries.

That said, I do have some good things to say about RWBY. Grimm are cool. So are the silly transforming weapons. As is the idea of humanity trapped in a few megacities on a planet covered in infinite ink monsters instead of the bog standard postapoc desert with mutants and raiders and crap. And character designs are mostly awesome too. Also the shattered moon is so dumb it wraps back to cool.

I hope someone steals the cool bits of their setting makes a knockoff. Which is kinda what those fanfictions I read actually are, but a proper work of art made by competent professionals would be great. Like not an inspired by/spiritual successor thing, I want a straight up stealing of their good ideas and even characters with cosmetic changes but with unmoronic writing.

Wait, I can ask that here. Did that actually happen? Is there a straight up knockoff-RWBY-but-good somewhere?
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I mean I can tell you the reason why RWBY is so bad and boils down to something very simple: Roosterteeth's previous success was RvB.

Red Vs Blue....was a sardonic comedy that in later seasons was a military science fiction war drama at times. and it was still good, because these two flavors of genre mix well. sardonic comedies mix in well with a world thats meant to be horrible and their ironic humor takes the edge off the darkness of it. the world of Red Vs Blue is one based on Halo, an already kinda dark world where humanity got into two wars, the latter for their very survival, and where the military now fully controlled the government until the war was over. Red Vs Blue just adds in a bunch of soldiers running seemingly pointless training simulations for some twisted experiment, screwed up AIs and such to the mix. a lot of it was pretty in genre for the universe they were working with. an irreverent, dark sardonic tone works with that.

RWBY on the other is an entirely different kind of ridiculousness. its anime-esque, its action, its about teenagers with superpowers saving the world, its a world based on fairy tales and magic from Little Red Riding Hood to Pinocchio to Goldilocks to Snow White and so on. its an entirely different genre, tone, and set of expectations. the fact both universes involve fighting is irrelevant, because its not the same KIND of combat. a world like RWBY gives you the expectations that combat is superheroic: it HAS to be romanticized to a degree to work. furthermore, its supposed to be an idealistic world where heroes exist, it has to have a degree of sincerity that you can't mix with an irreverent or sardonic tone that RvB runs on so well. thing is.....Roosterteeth is clearly far more experienced at something like RvB's tone than RWBY's tone. are they even trying to go for a sincere, idealistic tone? Not from what I've seen.

now there are action anime that can be more grounded in dark realities and still be idealistic while also exploring the horrors of war and such: FMA and Naruto pull this off to one degree or another. but FMA is a Brandon-Sanderson tier masterpiece and Naruto at the end of the day can't do that so it has fall back on making Naruto the ninja messiah- but its really good at doing so and making you care about it. Naruto's strength is thus in the personal journey of the protagonist.

RWBY....doesn't do either of those things: its magic systems are poorly defined and its protagonist, Ruby is uuuuh.....kinda weak, not as a fighter but in the characterization department. a big part of the success of this kind show is the protagonist being driven, they don't have to constantly shout "determination/I won't give up" and its better that they don't and just SHOW they won't give up, but they have to have a drive, a desire to be strong and to be a good person. apart of the genre's assumptions is that injustices of the world just passively happen unless the protagonist takes steps to stop it and make change for the better, its why anime antagonists are constantly telling the protagonist to "just give up!" because they want the protagonist be just as broken as they are, and why its constantly about the protagonist not doing that, because they have to be their own active force in the world.

Ruby is too passive for this. she can be funny and has the quirky oddities you can expect from a protagonist like the action-anime genre and even does the crouching moron hidden badass thing, but fundamentally she has no particular drive towards any goal I can think of. she's reactive. while this can work with some kinds of stories- comic book superheroes basically runs on otherwise passive normal people reacting to disaster to do their best to save it- it doesn't work with this kind of story. Yang or Blake would make a better protagonist, depending on what kind of tone for combat you want to set. Weiss is exactly where she should be though, she has that "Rival/Lancer" vibe.

point is, for something like RWBY to work, there has be some measure of sincerity and hope, idealism has be taken seriously at times. hope can't just come in the form of silly jokes. hope has to be driven, to be badass, and it has come from within. because the true enemy of this kind of hero is not evil- its despair. and Roosterteeth.....doesn't really understand that. if they do, they don't really know how to execute it well, they're better at ironic, sardonic comedy and should've probably have stuck to that. if you want me to list specific examples, I'll do that in another post with spoilers.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

I hate to return to the scene of driveby posting, but I had the weirdest ****ing RWBY dream anyone has ever had and gonna write it down here for posterity.

I dreamt that they made a live action series of RWBY. They had found this incredible prodigy teen actress to play Ruby and the series became stupidly big. GoT adaptation big. Somehow. Then during filming the season finale, a ridiculous cartoonlike accident happened on the set and parents of the actress playing Ruby died along with some other people who'd been nearby to watch. Not entirely clear what the accident was, but the parents were somehow washed off into the ocean and their bodies weren't found. But the series was too big to be cancelled (also it's a dream) and Ruby wasn't recast since she basically carried the whole thing. The actress understandably had depression and hated everything about RWBY but was still able to play the happy peppy Ruby while cameras were on. So they kept making second season but the actress was so full of depression and hate and anger, she made the entire rest of the cast and crew miserable. In the end showrunners were forced to kill off Ruby to prevent a revolt (in a particularly terrible way at the insistence of the actress too), so she died in the finale instead of Pyrrha and it totally ruined the series and literally everybody except Ruby's actress despised it. So it ended like GoT adaptation too.

So the moral of this dream is... I don't know actually, don't adapt RWBY? Hollywood sucks even more than RWBY? Whatever. This **** was weird as hell. How do dreams even work...
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    This was... this.
    No, really, I've got no idea what to really say here.

Penny's death made sense from a in-character, self-sacrifice point of view, but narratively it feels like a bit of a waste. She just got a new, biological, body.
    Even if you just use it for cheap comedy, there's something to work with here. Killing her off almost immediately afterwards?
    Well, it giver Jaune some trauma. Bleh.

Dropping more than half the main cast into the void was ehh. When it was just Yang I was kinda wondering what's gonna happen with her. I didn't expect her to bite it, but it was one of several options.
    Now? First off, I started to count cheerfully as weapons and characters fell. Worse, any worry I might've had was gone. I mean, what are they gonna do? Rename the show?

What was definitely great was Cinder lying to Salem.
    The omission where (or rather whom) she set on fire was especially nice. (I actually needed a moment to realize Watts didn't get away with his little rant.)
    Mind you, I don't think Salem failed to notice.
    She just doesn't care. Her primary goals are accomplished after all.

Making Winter the new Winter Maiden is kinda...
    Well, at least her acknowledging Penny as a (better) person was nice.

20. - Top - End - #290

Can I ask people's opinions?

How many people honestly think that the first 3 volumes were the best?

I mean... I honestly don't care enough to watch the last few volumes: Everything I know about the series that takes place after getting on the train to Atlas came from TVtropes or this thread.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #291

By pure, raw comparison only, the first three seasons are the best of the series.

22. - Top - End - #292

I mean, I liked almost everything up until Emerald and Mercury did the thing to Yang.

I guess you can say that I started to lose interest when the plot started, which is something I hate to say but... It's true.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Can I ask people's opinions?

How many people honestly think that the first 3 volumes were the best?

I mean... I honestly don't care enough to watch the last few volumes: Everything I know about the series that takes place after getting on the train to Atlas came from TVtropes or this thread.
    Elements of RWBY Season 4 to 8 are better than Season 3, but it is like the 90s X-Men comics. They lost they thread and do not know how to tell a cohesive story, let alone stick the landing of dramatic moments and thus it is a mixture of "chaos" combined with a mixture of "shock value." Chaos being they do not know how to get A to B, B to C, C to D, to finally get the end of the season with D to E. It is all over the place and "beats" of the story do not feel like they flow to the next beats. Likewise the big reveals of tension are mostly designed to produce shock for it is one of the easiest emotions to engineer and trigger in the audience. The writers are at the limits of their craft, they would do better as writers in other types of genres shows such as comedy like this is a "Weird Al" Yankovic parody type show (such as Red v. Blue)

• With the X-Men 90s reference earlier. From 1975 to 1991 there was one main writter of X-Men, Chris Claremont. Though as the books got more popular half a dozen different other writters were added in the late 80s when the X-Men were getting more spin off books.
    • In 1991 they "relaunched the X-Men" with 2 new main books while keeping all the other spin off books. It was the height of the comic book industry and X-Men was the best seller.
    • One of the reasons it was the height of the industry is they were moving to different distribution, more collecting, different media with what the paper and color was done, yadda, yadda, yadda, and thus we saw the artists taking over with the writters and this was purposefully done by the editors, who were in turn responding to pressure with the new owners of Marvel who wanted "poppy" art to sell "poppy IP" to sell merchandising, tv, movie, etc.
    • Well Chris Claremont quit after fighting with editorial over where the story was going in 1991 3 issues after the relaunch where X-Men #1 sold over 8 million copies of the single issue.
    • Likewise many of the artists soon left Marvel to form their new comic company Image Comics for they were in high demand and they wanted to own the IP instead of signing over the IP to another company (see all the comic authors in the 1960s to 1980s who had famous court cases and etc, etc.)
    • Well after losing all this talent we had some decent X-Men comics from 1992 to 1995 and in 1995 they tried a new thing.
    • Age of Apocalypse (1995 to 1996) where they relaunched the X-Men in an alternate universe created by time travel and it is a dystopia. It was a successful event but they ended it after 1 year.
    • After AoA Marvel was running on fumes ideas and story wise and they soon went into bankruptcy at the end of 1996 due to unrelated reasons but the X-Men comics of 1991 to 2000 are just bad, but with some decent moments in those 10 years, but mostly it was bad.

Well that is just like RWBY is now and I doubt it will pick itself up from here but I been wrong in the past so maybe it will change. RWBY you suffered the fate of Bleach which is sad in its own way.

Edit: Wait is RWBY vol 8 the equivalent of Attack of the Clones?
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-04-13 at 09:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

RWBY x Justice League is a comic series, 14 issues digital collected in 7 issues physical being published by DC Comics.

The first issue was released digitally on March 30th, 2021, and will be in print on April 27th, 2021. The miniseries will be worked on by Marguerite Bennett and artists Aneke and Mirka Andolfo. Each print issue collects two digital chapters.

There was also a similar DC thing in 2019 that was just called RWBY.

So my question is Pyrrha back?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I liked almost everything up until Emerald and Mercury did the thing to Yang.

I guess you can say that I started to lose interest when the plot started, which is something I hate to say but... It's true.
    Interestingly enough, that was the moment I quit RWBY for years after they did that thing to Yang. Of course the series was on a very short rope with me already by not explaining things, and then pulling that reality warping thing in front of an audience of people and I walked away in disgust. Ironically, it was the very next episode where they DID start explaining how that happen and how other things work and start tying everything together. But of course I had no reason to know that they were given their track record to that point.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Interestingly enough, that was the moment I quit RWBY for years after they did that thing to Yang. Of course the series was on a very short rope with me already by not explaining things, and then pulling that reality warping thing in front of an audience of people and I walked away in disgust. Ironically, it was the very next episode where they DID start explaining how that happen and how other things work and start tying everything together. But of course I had no reason to know that they were given their track record to that point.
    To be fair, IIRC it was established that Emerald's Semblance had something to do with illusions before that and they drew a lot of attention Emerald right before the attack.

Though, in hindsight, I think it's really weird that a tournement where kids are fighting each other didn't have things like "the kid's legs are prosthetics" and "what everyone's unique power is" as commonly known by the people running the thing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, IIRC it was established that Emerald's Semblance had something to do with illusions before that and they drew a lot of attention Emerald right before the attack.

Though, in hindsight, I think it's really weird that a tournement where kids are fighting each other didn't have things like "the kid's legs are prosthetics" and "what everyone's unique power is" as commonly known by the people running the thing.
    Yeah, that is kind of one of things I'm talking about when it comes to execution of such tropes: not just the authorities knowing of their capabilities, but one of the purposes of a tournament arc in anime is show off and introduce a lot of characters in a short of amount of time, give each of them some brief spotlight, while having the protagonist face off against their peers for both character interaction and to inform where they place in the grand scheme of things, its a method of establishing a lot in a short amount of time that also leaves things the people shown off open to come back alter because often these tournaments aren't supposed to be lethal. its why they occur early, because its partially an in-universe entertainment thing, its lighter, thus lower stakes, that sort of thing. it introduces people to the wider world in a way thats natural because you can have all sorts of people come from all over and offer a taste of what is to come.

unfortunately in RWBY just kinda happens, and for people like Penny or Sun who are from Atlas and Vacuo, whom are the only people not from Vale I remember, this is unnecessary because we already get introduced to them and what they can do before it ever happens. tournaments arc are a set up story for other arcs and stories, and....all this sets up is the tournament getting interrupted and such, which to be honest is just badly imitating Naruto's Chuunin Exams, which you don't need to have happen. sure it creates excitement by interrupting things, making it go off the rails because tournaments are kind of predictable, but there tournaments that haven't been interrupted in this kind of thing and they work fine without the interruption, and sometimes its better if you don't because you want to create a feel of predictable safety versus a later feeling of greater danger where there aren't rules to protect you.

like in RWBY the tournament arc introduces.....some villains kinda, but thats it? its not real memorable. when look at Naruto's Chuunin Exams, if you took out the whole Konoha Crush thing, it'd still be memorable, because of things like Gaara Vs. Lee, Naruto Vs. Neji, the Tenth Question, Team 7 facing Orochimaru in the Forest of Death, Shikamaru Vs. Temari, various things that make the Exams themselves really good. when you look at MHA's tournament arc, you have Deku Vs. Shinso, Deku Vs. Todoroki, Ochako Vs. Bakugo, Bakugo's win against Todoroki being hollow, the introduction of Endeavor, the race and the point battle before all those one and one fights. HxH has its long and complicated hunter Exams that make the Chuunin Exams look soft and fair then like two weird tournament arcs that stretch and bend the very definition of such an arc. point is, you want to make any tournament-like arc memorable, because it can put people into situations that you normally can't due to the rules you can possibly put them under.

RWBY doesn't really do anything particularly special so its like.....meh? it just feels like a setup for everything going wrong and thats just....not the best use for it. again, Rooster Teeth if they know the tropes of this kind of show, don't know to execute them right.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-04-14 at 03:33 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly the Vital Festival should have we airlift 20 maybe 100 students to the middle of nowhere and let them fend for themselves. Of course the adults huntsman are in those flying heliplanes yet remained hands off. But something happened and thus the huntsman have to depart and abandoned the kids.

Have the kids discover something of Salem’s away from the city, something creepy like a monster factory in a destroyed human city or something. Meanwhile Cinder and Torchwood are doing the maniacal plan that sets up the true attack on Beacon / Vale for a later season.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

So when RWBY went on the half season hiatus, I thought to myself, "Self! I'm not going to be able to survive watching RWBY week to week if my past experience of how they separate their episodes holds up. So I'm just not going to watch it until all the episodes to the end of the season air, then binge watch it." And that is what I did just now. And I have thoughts on everything I saw. But I'm sure other people have some thoughts too. I know, I'm going to see what the people in this thread have thoughts on what happened. Lets see here...:

I hate it!
    Awful!
    Badly written!
    Wasted my time!
    Not A Finale Ending!
    Never Should Have Started This Show!
    *Insert other examples of being pissed*
    ...Right! I'm just going to... keep my thoughts... to myself... then...

*Exits the stage*
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2021-04-29 at 11:32 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    But I'm sure other people have some thoughts too. I know, I'm going to see what the people in this thread have thoughts on what happened. Lets see here...:

...Right! I'm just going to... keep my thoughts... to myself... then...

*Exits the stage*
    Season 8s seem to be letdowns for tv shows.