New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

Fox
    Conditions:

Potential: 0/5

Fox eyes this new hero slowly, wheels churning behind the mask. The stammer, the name. "There is no need Errant. This one is familiar to us. Like Delphi, we were in chains together." Another of the Camp's cast offs, Delphi would point out that this was not by chance considering it was yet another of the very people he'd had extend his shadow over. "We will catch up later, to be certain. We know of who began this and the other attacks, supremacists of the New Dawn with their tendrils cast wide."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

JigaWatt
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

More than a little distracted by what he’s hearing about the other sites that were hit, JigaWatt shakes his head.

"Love your moves, fam," he says to Fox, "but I swear, half the time I have no idea what you’re saying." He understands it’s the image that his teammate has going on, and he certainly understands the import of maintaining an image...he just wishes it was a little more...scrutable.

"I’m glad you’re all right," he goes on, shifting his attention to the other kid. "I didn’t expect you to jump in there like that, but it was a solid assist; thanks!" Gabby McStabby could quite potentially escaped his snare otherwise; unexpected assistance had certainly wrapped things up fairly neatly.

On their end, at least.

"What the hell happened?!" he bursts out, a wide-gesturing arm vaguely taking in ‘elsewhere’. "The League was supposed to be on top of those other targets; how could they have let this happen? They had all the data!"

It’s beginning to look like he’s going to have to admit he was wrong, and Fox’s paranoia is nothing of the sort; with the resources available to them, there’s no way the League should have dropped the ball like this, not if the Team had managed things with so little collateral fallout.

"Getting on top of things is a damn good idea," he agrees with...Void, he believes the stammering kid had called himself. Someone who the rest of his team is already somehow acquainted with, it seems. "Fox, you’ve got those poor people contained?" he adds, glancing first to Fox, then to the unfortunate third affected individual who did not react well to the...metapathogen.

Damn.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

It seemed JigaWatt was at least starting to see. "Yes." He said with a simple nod. "They are safe, by a reasonable metric though we will need to attend to them sooner than later. We all ought take care of this one too rather than hand them to the League."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential:2/5
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +2
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: 0
    • Mundane: +1

The person writhing on the ground. How could he forget the person writhing on the ground? Alex rushed over to the man, looking worried. He knelt down, and looked him over. What kinds of things did this drug do? Wasn't it only a serum? What changed when it became a gas?... Can it be removed?

"O-Oh dear. T-This is... horrible. I... I could m-maybe d-do something, but i-it would... a-at most, it w-would take t-the p-pain away. He n-needs some a-actual care f-from someone w-who can help, and t-the sooner t-the b-b-better. I-Is there anyone w-who's close by w-where we are t-that c-could help?" Alex grabs the man's hand, and closed his eyes. "O-Okay, I c-can do t-this, just...concentrate." Take away the pain. I can do it. Just, don't worry about what comes after.

And the pain starts flowing in. Slowly, at first, but it starts to come in waves. And with it, a bit of something he didn't try to grab: the man's strongest emotion. He had thought fear was the most intense feeling this guy would have, but it wasn't. It was hopelessness, about being stuck like that for the rest of his life, about being stuck a monster and a....no that's the man, not me, I'm not a monster anymore. Just let it pass over, that's it, c'mon.

Alex was kneeling there, looking like he was in a lot of pain. "I-I t-think that's a-all of i-it, at l-least for n-now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled to unleash and got an eight. Marking the condition hopeless.
    Last edited by Abbyqween; 2020-09-19 at 11:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Humanity Now Rally, Saturday Evening

The pain flows from the poor victim on the ground, and when it has all coalesced in Void and brought him to his knees, the mutant at last breathes a sigh of relief and slips into the blissful dark, chest rising and falling steadily.

When the mutant is stable, Fox takes him through the shadows. Perhaps it is an olive branch to Errant, or perhaps more paranoia about the League, but he delivers the sleeping mutant to the edge of the park where Castle Grail lies, before returning to the rally site.

Help comes quick, after that. Baseline paramedics and cops, plus one of the League's humanitarian aid teams. They are quick to tend to all those who need it, and to secure the location. The gas, which had been dispersing slowly enough to leave the bulk of the area still hazardous, is funneled by a hero with wind powers into specially-marked containers which are then flown off to League HQ.

Weaver contacts your team, briefly, through JigaWatt.

Weaver: Good work. Regrettably, the same cannot be said of the other sites. New Dawn brought heavy-hitters to the other attacks. More Ward escapees. I will speak with Sentinel about what we discussed - bringing you in on the campaign - but for now, I must tend to the catastrophe. Stay safe.

It's more than you might have expected from her, but it's clear this event blindsided her as much as it did you. Tonight was a terrible night for Halcyon, and maybe for the world... and you get an awful feeling that it's about to get worse.

The Caribbean, Private Beach. Sunday 10:34 AM, 29th of September, 2019.

A woman with bright red sunglasses and a brighter red dress has decided to wear heels to the beach, and is sipping a martini as she watches the waves roll in.

It's nice, these moments of peace. Not as fun as torching a town or playing with supers, of course, but sometimes a working gal needs a bit of R&R before going out on her next wild adventure. Especially after a job like the last one.

Necromancers, tsk. Always trouble, that lot.

A man in an expensive suit blocks her sun.

She frowns and pulls down her sunglasses, giving him the once-over with fiery orange eyes. "You. Why are you interfering with my beach day, little river demon?" Her voice is light and playful, but it gains a hard edge with the last three words.

Styx is all smiles for her. "You're looking as ravishing as ever, Anhanguera. Time has not dulled your beauty by a mote."

"It's Firewing now," she drawls, "and I've got jack interest in hearing you pretend to fawn over me, so get to the point or get out of my sun."

He bows deeply. "Deepest apologies, of course." He straightens up and adjusts his own sunglasses, pitch-black and more concealing. "My employer has an offer for you. He requests your services for a mercenary contract in Halcyon City."

Firewing's eyes narrow. "And have you had a sudden change of employment in the past few decades, or are you really trying to convince me to work for him? Thought you had better sense than that."

"I understand that the two of you have a... complicated history. However, my employer and I both believe the payment for this job to be of keen value to you."

Firewing gestures at her fancy digs, and then to the beach itself, which is private property in her name. "I've got cash for days, and nothing in his hoard gets my engine running. What exactly do you think he can offer me?"

Styx's smile is unchanging, so unnerving and yet somehow sincere. Slowly, he removes his sunglasses and meets Firewing's gaze with deep black pits of writhing shadow. "Why, an end to your curse."

Firewing sits up straight, all posturing and veneer stripped away. "Like hell. Like hell he can offer that. Don't you play with me, boy. I've been alive easily five times as long as you and I do not like getting played with."

The demon tilts his head. "No trickery. No catch. I'll swear it with my own power."

It's trouble. It's trouble and she knows it. But... she has a taste for trouble.

"Do it then. Make it an Oath. Make it an Oath, and I'll come hear what your boss wants from me."

Styx extends a hand, and Firewing takes it without hesitation. "By the water in my veins, I offer: a path to the end of your curse."

She stares him down, but says her half. "And by the fire in mine, I offer: a fair hearing in the court of your master."

The waves gently lapping at the beach freeze over, and the wind stills. A current of energy runs between the two supernatural beings, and the deal is struck.

Firewing finally matches the demon's smile. "To Halcyon City."
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

6. - Top - End - #216

Issue Three

Halcyon City, SBC Tower. Sunday 1:00 PM, 29th of September, 2019.

Adam Gerard, news anchor for the Serenity Broadcasting Corporation and leading contender for the most generic-looking man in Halcyon City, is unusually sloppy today. No trademark wink, no meaningless shuffling of the papers, and very little of his usual affectation.

He, like everyone else in the city, was shaken by the mysterious terror attacks that rocked the city last night. Everyone has been looking for answers, for someone to blame, for something to make sense of it all.

They probably weren't expecting the source of that clarity to come from June Lang.

Gerard nervously checks his notes - actual notes, for once - and clears his throat. "Good afternoon, Halcyon City. You may want to pay attention to the next half-hour of this show, because we have received documents and intelligence that cast a horrifying new light on last night's terror attacks."

"June Lang, CEO of Junebug Technologies and figure of significant interest in the Halcyon political scene, has shared with the Serenity Broadcasting Corporation - and with myself in particular - a large sum of evidence that her private investigators have been collecting since the very first attack on a Human Interest rally. Her team has uncovered the orchestrator of all these attacks: a radical metahuman organization calling itself the New Dawn."

"New Dawn has been covertly establishing itself in Halcyon for several years now, operating in the shadows of our beloved city. They've taken over crime rings, freed dangerous villains from the Ward, and used mad scientist tech to create a chemical drug that can turn an ordinary human into a meta. They call this drug The Cure and, from all available evidence, it would seem they wish to turn this Cure on every baseline planet-wide, starting with Halcyon City."

"And now, a statement from Ms. Lang."

June Lang appears on camera, glamorous and full of fire. "People of Halcyon, I feel your pain. I feel the pain of a city crying out after an awful tragedy, and I feel your frustration that our so-called champions and defenders seem incapable of stopping it. Last night, two of the Halcyon League's vaunted hero teams failed to stop the New Dawn from enacting its horrible plan, while a group of children - children - were able to do what they couldn't. Is this the world the League has created, where bioterrorists run free and all our hopes rest on teenagers in homemade masks?"

"I have been a vocal critic of the League in the past, but always from a place of understanding, from a place of compassion. I have been patient and considerate with the League, for all their mistakes, but this latest tragedy is too terrible and inexcusable to be called a mistake. Isn't it odd that the League, our great defenders, who have precognitives in their midst, and who had teams ready to swoop in within seconds of these incidents starting, couldn't stop the attacks? The League's response time to each event was so fast they simply must have had teams present beforehand, which means they knew about the attacks and allowed them to happen, so that they could swoop in and play the heroes while sacrificing the safety and well-being of innocent civilians. Are those the actions of true champions, or of glory-hounds drunk on their own fame and prestige?"

"And tell me, people of Halcyon: was the League so incompetent that a handful of powerless private investigators uncovered the source of the attacks before they did? Or has the League known about this New Dawn since the very beginning, and kept it a secret from the public? Sentinel himself suggested just a few days ago that his team knew specific details about the source of the attacks, but rather than sharing those details and giving this city a fighting chance he let us wallow in ignorance for the sake of his precious covert operations. If the League are truly so high and virtuous, why would they risk our lives like that?"

"And if the League was hiding New Dawn, what else are they hiding? What is the real purpose of their training organization? What about the rumors of a hidden headquarters? What about Camp Joy? They claim that Camp Joy is simply about rehabilitation for troubled youths, but they've recruited several League members from a pool of teenagers that are under their thumb. Will we allow such leonine contracts simply because the ones orchestrating them preach about the greater good? And where is the New Dawn getting all of its metas from? Could Camp Joy be a recruiting ground for radical metahumans?"

"The League have consistently and blatantly supported their interests over the good of the people, and they have abused the goodwill of this city. Are they even trying to stop New Dawn at all? Are they tactitly endorsing this terrorist group through inaction? Or perhaps, might they even have a hand in it? For all their protests of fairness and equality, the League always seems to come down on the side of metahumans over real humans when given the choice. Could they be the puppetmasters pulling the strings and making us all dance to their tune?"

"Well, I for one am no one's pawn. And to you, the good people of Halcyon, I encourage you to challenge the League's narratives and think for yourselves. Don't let them make you into blind pawns. Don't let them use you for their games. Never, ever let yourselves be deceived."

"Stay strong, Halcyon. And stay vigilant."

The city reels. In a span of less than 24 hours, Halcyon is shaken to its core.

June Lang has made New Dawn public, and in doing so has taken control of the narrative away from the League. All the strained PR efforts of Weaver and Crane are rendered utterly meaningless, and their worst case scenario has arrived: the public knows about New Dawn, and they are terrified. The relation between baselines and metas has changed, and there's a tension in the air thick enough to choke on.

Sunday is a timeless day, simultaneously a blur of chaos and a slow, grinding horror show. Other cities around the world - a handful, only those with the largest populations - have begun reporting similar attacks, all perpetrated by small teams but with devastating impact. New Dawn has stepped out of the shadows.

The League makes its pleas and defenses, attempting to stand up to Lang's scathing takedown, but public opinion is fast swaying from the pillar of Halcyon to the self-made CEO. The League lays its cards on the table and reveals much of what they know about New Dawn - though nothing you haven't seen first-hand already - but rather than comforting the people it simply adds fuel to the fire. The people are scared, and their protectors aren't protecting them.

The four of you, however... that's a different story.

The incident was filmed, and from multiple angles. By now, much of Halcyon has seen you in action protecting the crowd and stopping New Dawn, and your actions have even found their way to news stations that aren't busy covering the global events or the political fiasco. The Amp'd are growing in number rapidly, and information is being gathered about the four of you - though for some, that's easier said than done.

Other teen heroes have reached out to you over Veil, giving you praise or asking for tips, and a few even beg to join your team and fight the New Dawn. Where the League failed, you triumphed, and for that you become an overnight sensation among certain groups within the city.

Among those groups - among the fellow teens who see hope in your deeds, among those tuned to the pulse of the city, among those glad to see a force for good other than the League, and among plenty more - a name begins to spread, a name given to the four of you as a unit - as a team. You can't tell where it starts, but by Monday morning it is prolific:

The Dawnbreakers.
    Last edited by Malexia; 2020-09-23 at 01:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Halcyon City, Multiple Locations. Monday 9:13 PM, 30th of September, 2019.

That evening, each of you receive a personalized message from Corax, the Raven Witch, over Veil. An invitation.

Spoiler: Void
    Show
    Very well done at that rally, Void. You saved lives, and eased burdens. You stood up to the New Dawn and won, and you managed to be at the right place at the right time with nothing more guiding you than the hand of Lady Luck.

Color me intrigued.

My name is Corax. I am an apprentice of Lich Girl, and current caretaker of the Ossuary. I have been monitoring the situation with New Dawn for some time, and have a keen interest in seeing their secrets brought to light, and seeing those who have suffered under their hand given relief. I believe you and I could help each other.

The three heroes you fought alongside at the rally - Fox, JigaWatt, Errant White - have challenged New Dawn before, twice. I have been providing them guidance in this matter, and I would like to extend that offer of guidance to you. I believe the four of you together could make a powerful force. What has the Veil been calling you, Dawnbreakers? You seem to have caught a bit of attention. Are you the type to enjoy attention, Void? How about Alex?

But I digress. I offer you an invitation, along with the three other Dawnbreakers: an invitation to come to the Ossuary, my home, on Friday evening, where I will tell you everything I know about New Dawn. Now that they have emerged from the shadows, the value of subterfuge is lost, and so I have become willing to take more open and aggressive measures against their sinister schemes. A great many lives are at risk, and I will do everything in my power to save those lives. I hope you will do the same.

Spoiler: Fox
    Show
    I must thank you for the test subjects, Fox. They have proven very useful in building my case against the Alchemist. Soon, the time will be right to bring New Dawn's supplier to light, and I hope she burns in that light. But you and I, we shall remain in the shadows.

With New Dawn made public, the situation has changed considerably. They no longer must rely on subterfuge, and their boldness makes them more dangerous, but also more vulnerable. Secrets held are no longer useful as secrets, and you must be ready for what is to come. You all must be ready.

Your team performed well against New Dawn at the rally, as did the newcomer, Void. I have extended an offer to him, and I hope he accepts. I believe he will be a valuable asset to us both, Fox. With the regrettable loss of Liminal, your team could use a fourth. I have examined him much as I have examined you, and I see far more utility in his presence than danger. That is not to say to trust him, of course; we understand the double-edged sword of trust. But I do not believe him to be a threat to you, at least for now.

Do you pay attention to Veil? Social media doesn't seem your style. I am like you, in that sense; I prefer the smell of paper, the creak of an old book, the serenity of a quiet library. But my mentor taught me to use as many sources of information as possible, and so I have kept up with recent turns in the social landscape. They're talking about you, Fox. You and your team. They call you the Dawnbreakers. Cute, isn't it?

Well, enough distractions. I wish to offer you an invitation. I invite you and the three other Dawnbreakers to come to my home, the Ossuary, on Friday evening, and I will tell you everythng I know about the New Dawn. And, on a more personal note, I relish the opportunity to speak with you in person and give you more hands-on training in the magical arts. The Ossuary is an excellent place to do so, as it is full of magic and is very encouraging of attempts to attune to it. I look forward to seeing you then, and there.

Spoiler: Errant White
    Show
    Congratulations are in order for your splendid work on Saturday, Errant White. You did what the League couldn't, and you made a real name for yourself. I wonder how the other Knights feel about that? Regardless, you should be proud.

We haven't talked much, have we? It's unfortunate, as I'm truly fond of your drive and virtue. Not to mention your magic sword. I have a friend, Rhodes, who just adores collecting magical artifacts, and I'm sure he'd have a field day looking over your weapon if he ever got the chance, though I suspect dear Durendal would resist any attempts to be probed or bound.

You and Durendal made quite the striking pair. The Veil certainly seems to think so, judging by all the swooning. Quite silly that some of them think you're Calder, isn't it? You make a much better White Knight than he ever would, Aiden.

They're calling the four of you Dawnbreakers. You, your two teammates, and that new boy, Void. He seems very nice, doesn't he? You should reach out to him when you get the chance, make nice. I think he would make a splendid addition to your little team, and I do so love the name that the Veil has given your group.

But enough of my gossiping. I'm here to offer you - and your group - an invitation. I invite the Dawnbreakers to my home, the Ossuary, on Friday evening. If you come, I promise to tell you everything I know about the New Dawn, absolutely everything. The time for secrets has passed, my dear knight. We must strike hard and strike true.

Oh, and please leave the Wizard's little spy at home. It was hard enough keeping it from seeing me at the rally.

Spoiler: JigaWatt
    Show
    Ah, the man of the hour himself. You made quite the buzz, JigaWatt. Your Amp'd seem quite electrified with the results of Saturday's match. In fact, your performance has lit up most of Veil, to an extent that shocks even me.

You must forgive me for the puns; Lich Girl adored them, and I so rarely get the chance to make any since she vanished.

Did you know I watch your videos? Not often, mind you, as I am a busy woman, but I keep up. Being a spymaster can be so tedious and taxing that sometimes it's a pleasant relief to have someone just spill all their secrets in a convenient audiovisual format. But don't think I'm just in it for cynical reasons; I actually find your content quite amusing, Lucan.

You struck gold with that Lang video, and you're clever enough to know that. So it intrigued me when you restricted it. The showman, afraid of the spotlight? Or perhaps afraid of the consequences. Well, I fear you must learn to accept those consequences if you want to face off against the New Dawn. There is a thrum in the air, a whisper in the wind, a spark of potential sizzling along the wires and cables connecting us all to each other.

I doubt I need to tell you what the Veil has been saying about your Dawnbreakers. What do you think of the name? Too obvious? Or maybe you had a different name in mind?

No matter. I come to you not on the subject of social media but on a far more serious matter: I wish you to be a guest at my abode. I invite you, JigaWatt, and the three other Dawnbreakers, to come to the Ossuary on Friday Evening and learn all about New Dawn. I will share everything I know regarding the organization, their motives, and their backers. And perhaps we will make the first bit of progress toward foiling their goals.

See you then, sparky.

The Ossuary. Everyone knows it, at least everyone in Halcyon who pays attention to Veil. Lich Girl built it, or found it, or moved it here from somewhere else. It's a pocket dimension overlaying our reality, much like Castle Grail, but with a much different set of clientele. The Ossuary is said to be labyrinthine and complex, creating new rooms to the needs of its inhabitants, but it is primarily known for two features: the presence of the apprentices who served Lich Girl before her disappearance, and the roaring nightclub that caters to supers of all varieties. Villains and heroes alike have frequented the Ossuary's front-facing facet, and for mages seeking knowledge and power it is a treausure trove, and much more accessible than its rivals in that category. Bartimaeus, Weaver, and the other notable mages of Halcyon give out very exclusive access to their teachings, but the Ossuary trades in knowledge and magic with a relative lack of fetters.

Of course, that unfettered attitude also attracts a lot of dark mages. To the apprentices, all knowledge is good knowledge, and all magic can be made to serve a purpose.

Entry to the Ossuary is limited by invite or request; it can be fairly easy for a talented mage or a rising super to make an appeal for entry, and sometimes all it takes is a bit of money greasing palms, but those who didn't earn their way in can be viewed disfavorably, and it's widely known among those who frequent the Ossuary that only those who received invitations get to have personal audiences with the apprentices. And if you want power - real power, true power, the kind of power that can change everything - they're the ones to talk to.

And now the four of you have been invited to speak not just to one of the apprentices, but the lead apprentice and de-facto leader.

So, that leaves one big question: how do you spend the time between now and then?

8. - Top - End - #218

PirateGuy

JigaWatt
    Conditions:
    Show

Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Lucan’s understanding of how the world worked had taken several very large hits extremely recently, and the couple of days that played out after the latest New Dawn debacle caused him some fairly profound shifts in how he thought about things.

No longer trusting the League to have anyone’s best interests at heart, he was on the verge of releasing all of his uncensored footage before reconsidering and send a Veil to his teammates asking their opinion about poking the juggernaut that Junebug was becoming under the revelations and social media pressure of the past few days.

He has released several little videos on his channel; atypical for him, no action sequences apart from his footage of the rally. No, these were appeals to the people; the core Amp'd that had always been there with him, and also all of the new subscribers that had jumped onto his channel in the wake of the New Dawn publicity.

The Dawnbreaker fans.

The sheer numbers made him more than a little nervous, but he had a responsibility more than ever now, and he felt it keenly.

His messages were short, succinct, and were of him talking directly to the camera. He urged calm, clear thinking, and patience. He also spoke of thinking for one's self, regarding any one side as perhaps not automatically the full story just because it sounds plausible.

He doesn’t want to outright call out the connections between June and the New Dawn – not in the least because they have no hard proof – but he does want to encourage people to not just...believe everything they’re told, especially in this situation.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

Fox pays little attention to the news. He doesn't have the time to waste in such activities between working at the bakery with his people, working with Hastings at Camp and all the other things expected of him to complete before he's given even a modicum of free time. Also because what little is relayed to him only confirms the paranoid screaming in his skull. It was a common tactic, split the enemy up and make them easier to pick off. That wasn't what the attacks were, they were merely the start of the media campaign. New Dawn only became public emboldened by the strategy of whoever was inside the New Dawn pulling the strings there. Coordinated to look like a failure, to cast doubt on the powers that be, to cause fear in those who might go against this new threat, to embolden the enemies for further chaos and to stoke anti-meta sentiment to justify further actions. Shrewd and altogether the most dangerous element at play.

He did not respond to Corax either. He didn't care about a nickname for the team, it was unneeded, the public would do what they could to make them easier to quantify. They were just another piece of the chaos for now. Not yet placed in the whole scheme though that was bound to change quickly. They'd thwarted New Dawn twice despite their plans, despite whoever or whatever was behind them accounting for the League to lose.

No, all of this came far below the thing that did matter to him. Not the familiar smell of yeast and dough and the warmth of a kitchen stove. The daring to slip within the campy of the Enemy, to even hand them something valuable. There'd be no thanks for it...because he could not say it was him in the first place. To affirm his role was to bring scrutiny, to deny it...merely further "evidence" of his malfeasance. The thought also vibrated down along the stings of his mind how easy it had been. They didn't guard up to the Castle because they did not think there was an enemy lurking. How lax was the castle. Dangerous thoughts.

He showed up to the Ossuary all the same, as requested, dressed in his finest costume. Corax seemed to know what he was, the others that worked for her most certainly did not require that information.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Danger: +1

Alex had threw himself right in the deep end. Stopping a villain attack? He could manage. Being allies with people who were likely to get into more of these kinds of things? Not really his cup of tea, but this is what a hero does so he can deal with it. Being the center of attention because of something he didn't even fully understand? Terrifying. He hated being focused on and put in the spotlight, because it was so easy to find out who he was and find out what he had done. Sure, he'd get fans, but fans weren't going to help when people came knocking at his door wanting revenge for something he'd done. Not to mention that the people who gave him a chance and didn't just throw him in jail, were a part of what happened. It made him sick. So, he didn't stay home for most of the week.

He wandered around town, helping out where he could. Void was eager to have some more time to shine after the big fight. Showing people that Alex wasn't evil anymore and that he was a hero now, out there doing good, was what he wanted to do, after all. Alex wasn't going to chase that on his own, so he had to do it for the both of them. The League...oh, the League. What was being done after he had...was he a he? Or a she? He didn't know anymore...wait, no, he wasn't them anymore, we aren't the same person, don't start thinking like that. Anyways, the League wasn't what he thought it was, and they weren't any ally he could trust anymore.

Alex wanted to talk to the group, or, at least, a certain member of the group. He asked Fox if they could meet sometime before Friday, somewhere private so they could talk alone. The other two, a short message asking to have a talk after the meeting at the Ossuary.

Whether or not the meeting with Fox happened, Alex arrived at the Ossuary, jittery and nervous, not even able to look anyone in the eyes. He didn't have his costume on, since that wasn't very formal, but he did dress up for the occasion, with a nice dress top and pants. He even had a pair of slacks that looked well kept, like the rest of his outfit. Seems he didn't dress up much for occasions, if he did at all.
    Last edited by Abbyqween; 2020-09-27 at 05:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 4/5
    Show
    • Freak: -1
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Aiden responds to JigaWatt over Veil. Whatever the previous arrangement with the League may have been, there's no use worrying about it now. Something was going on with the League, and it's just as well not to get caught up in that, especially when they were starting to get some traction. Aiden had expected better from them, much better. At this rate, he might end up owing Fox an apology. But that doesn't make June Lang any friend of theirs. She's a known ideologue and it's hard to imagine that she has anybody's best interests at heart but her own. The best thing for the Team to do is to avoid getting in the middle of the adults acting like children on the evening news, especially after what had happened to JW at the Junebug warehouse.

After receiving Corax's message, Aiden has a long, hard think. At first it was alarming that she seemed to know who he was, but the more he thought about it, the less it seemed to matter. He hadn't kept his identity secret to protect his friends and his family. He had chosen to conceal himself to save face in case he couldn't live up to the mantle. But the team - the Dawnbreakers - were racking up an impressive score. At this rate, Aiden had hopes that the holdouts amongst the Knights might soon start to accept him, and disgracing himself was becoming a more remote fear. Someday soon, he might finally be able reveal his identity and shame Calder into oblivion!

Still, the Raven Witch's hospitality isn't to be trusted, and her invitation merits an audience with Bartimaeus. And the suddenly global threat of New Dawn was something the other Knights were sure to be interested in. There was also the afflicted 'mutant' to see to. The only thing to do is to convene with the others at Castle Grail to discuss next steps.

Next Friday, he arrives at the arranged location. Apparently the armor spell is situationally adaptive - instead of battle-ready plate armor, it presents almost as formal attire. Errant White's intricate breastplate proudly bears the seal of Albion, two lionshead epaulettes fix a flowing white cape at his shoulders, and his helm masks his face behind a lion's. Durendal, temporarily shrunken, hangs from a white gold chain around his neck.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 12 on my end-of-session Legacy move. On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2020-09-27 at 10:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

PirateGuy

JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 2/5
    Show

Show
      - What are they up to?

JigaWatt is a little uncomfortable as he arrives on Friday; he’s never really been somewhere like the Ossuary before, and he knows compared to his teammates he comes up a distant second in making a visual impression. Oh, sure, he’s got his Look that his fans seem to love, but it’s not very...superhero, not like Errant’s shining armour or Fox’s mysterious ensemble and freaky mask. Even Liminal never had an issue putting on a good show for garb – and how he wishes she wasn’t still ignoring their messages. Had she blocked them? Had something happened to her?

He’s done his best to class up his outfit. Red Dragon had sent him a first run of the new hoodie design, with the logo superimposed on a stylised rising sun – clearly their intent to cash in on the ‘Dawnbreaker’ hype – and he has a pair of bright red Beats slung around his neck. He’d even splurged on a new pair of high tops and had spent some time and elbow grease buffing out and polishing his board.

Still – what he’s got is decidedly a Look, not a Costume, and it’s hard to feel like he’s not going to come up short once he’s mingling with the actual capes.

Hard enough that he doesn’t actually manage it, truth be told. Taking a breath and trying to swallow his nerves, he heads inside.

13. - Top - End - #223

Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday 8:30 PM, 4th of October, 2019.

The cool autumn air rustles colorful leaves and stirs swept piles. October has well and truly arrived, and in most years the city would already be gearing up for Halloween. Instead, people hurry to their homes and keep their heads down. There will be no festivity this year. Joy struggles to find purchase in hearts so full of worry, anger, and fear.

At least, that's the case for most of Halcyon. There are a few places where the inhabitants seem steadfastly determined to revel and cheer despite all the chaos in the city, and it is to one of these places that the four of you travel.

The entrance to the Ossuary is no secret. Like Castle Grail, the Ossuary exists sideways of the city and is accessed through a connecting site, but where Grail's entrance is a sunny park, the Ossuary's entrance is in a mist-cloaked graveyard. Past the headstones, through the fog and freezing air, and down the steps of the unlocked mausoleum. If someone tries to enter who hasn't been granted entry by an apprentice, the mausoleum itself is said to vanish. But for you, it is there and waiting.

And you're in.

The central chamber of the Ossuary is grand and opulent and every goth's dream home. It is a towering cathedral of cold colors and sourceless lighting, dark metal and muted marble. The walls seem to almost move, pulsing in time with the music, and the room is supported by pillars of what looks identical to fresh bone. In fact, the closer you look, the more convinced you are that the room is indeed constructed with real bone. This chamber is a ribcage, and the music is its beating heart. The shadowy passages leading off deeper into the Ossuary, those are its arteries and veins.

The club is full of life and energy. The bottom floor, which contains a dance floor, bar, and stage, is already filling up with heroes, villains, and neithers. Most here skew younger, but you see a handful from older generations, mostly magic users, and usually talking amongst each other or surrounded by fans. Among those that are from prior generations you notice a second skew: vastly more villains than heroes are among that number. Lich Girl's reputation has always been harsher among older heroes than among the new wave.

The staff are, as you quickly discover, all ghosts; ethereal waitstaff carry platters of food and pour drinks, while incorporeal musicians play see-through instruments on the stage. Through a window at the bar you catch a glimpse of a kitchen where ghostly chefs cook up food of all types for hungry patrons.

The second floor rings the first, overlooking it, and is full of lounge areas and chatting clubgoers. Those who choose to eat and drink here mostly do so up on that floor, accessible through a series of levitating steps, and it has an altogether calmer atmosphere than the riot of color and noise below. Above the ring, overlooking all, are three balconies with no discernible means of approach. Those belong to the apprentices, and you see a faint shimmering barrier that must halt any trying to reach the balconies without permission.

As each of you arrive and take in the sights and sounds, you are approached by a ghost in a tuxedo. She smiles at you and says, as if reading from a script, "Welcome to the Ossuary, esteemed guests. The Caretaker apologizes that she cannot greet you herself, but she is finishing up with important business and will be running late. Please, avail yourself of the Ossuary's comforts. If you would like something to eat or drink, the Caretaker has arranged to cover the bill." As soon as her speech is given, she vanishes into the crowd once more.

Spoiler: Ossuary Music
    Show
    The music within the Ossuary is tuned to your mental state and interests. You will hear whatever music you would most want or expect to hear, and both the music choice and the appearance of the ghostly musicians on stage will change as your mood changes.

The Days Between

Spoiler: JigaWatt
    Show
    The momentum is building with this new wave of fandom. That wild energy you felt when you first called out June Lang, you can feel it rising again. It's the energy driving these new fans, the Dawnbreaker fans. They want blood, especially after New Dawn's reveal, and they aren't content to be calm and patient. Every new video, you get more and more comments urging you to take a stand. Some want you to stand up to the League and agree with Lang's accusation, while others are sticking up for the League and demand you hit back against Lang.

For the League's part, there's been precious little follow-up since the rally beyond a single short message from Weaver, telling you only that there will be delays with further action, as the League's attention is now split between the rising tide of discontent and the open terrorism of New Dawn. It doesn't sound promising for your chances of getting in good with the League... if that's something you even want any more.

Spoiler: Fox
    Show
    Your forays into Camp Joy with Hastings reveal a grim picture. The anti-meta sentiment is infecting the place, stirring fear in many hearts, and turning others to righteous anger. Plenty of kids you see would love to strike back against Human Interest and Humanity Now, whatever the consequences. There are some who are terrified of New Dawn, terrified of what will happen to the city, to their friends and family, but there are others that seem all too close to the kind of attitude that is fueling New Dawn's schemes.

Spoiler: Void
    Show
    In the aftermath of New Dawn's attacks, there is much help to be given, and much pain to be taken. Those directly afflicted by the attacks, friends and family, and all the little crimes that spring up in the wake of it seeking to capitalize on misfortune or to express some deep discontentment. Every hero in the city is kept busy, and you're no different.

Errant

The Ossuary. The Raven Witch. The invitation. It weighs on your mind as Friday approaches, mixing in with all the chaos from New Dawn's dramatic reveal. The dark is rising, and you need the light of clarity that only the Knights can bring. In the days before your meeting with Corax, you arrive at Castle Grail and step inside.

You enter just as another is leaving, and he stops before he passes you. "Ah, good I caught you before I left." Maelan Barzic, Errant Red, gives you a measured nod. "Good work out there. You handled yourself like a Knight, and the others have noticed. You still need more training, of course, but that's true of us all. There is never enough time to prepare before we must face our fates head-on."

"I would have liked to train you more myself, but I'm leaving for South America to continue hunting Firewing. In my absence, do us all proud, Son of Albion." He claps you on the back, nods again, and then he's walking off.

Fox & Void

You meet in privacy, the Friday deadline looming, the city around you full of anxiety and dread. For a conversation between two people caught up in the thick of it all, privacy is essential.

Where do you meet, and what do you say?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

Fox is of course warry of this meeting with Void. Knowing them, and them knowing him, was...a complication he wasn't thrilled with. He'd done his level best to keep his identity as closely guarded as one could. Illusions for his hair and eyes, never using names, everything he could do. To think another member of the Camp would replace Liminal or at least come to such a position to do so...what was it exactly they wished to discuss?

He had agreed however to the terms, coming under illusion until whatever secure location (and it was a requirement) was reached. Then he waited.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Spoiler
    Show

Alex got to the spot, right on time, looking nervous. He was a bit freaked out when he saw Fox there, but calmed down quickly. He approached not getting too close, and stood there for a long moment, working up what words to say.

"Um...I g-guess y-you're wondering why I-I called y-you here. Uh, s-so, I..I w-wanted to know about w-what I-I've gotten myself into, and I, uh...w-wanted to get i-it from s-someone I trust. Y-you are who I-I think y-you are, r-right? I-I'm sorry i-if I'm b-being a bit p-pushy, you d-don't have to t-tell m-m-me, I just...d-don't think I c-can back out of t-this now t-that I k-know it's a-a pretty big t-thing, and I w-want to h-help out, i-if you'll l-let me."

Was this sounding too forward? Was he going to ask me not to get involved? Why do I even want to be involved in this massive thing anyway, this is way over my head, I can't...but I have to, this is what I have to do, no matter what. I...I'm still gonna go, even if he asks me not to. That's the least I can do to help the people hurt by this.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

Fox watched Void cooly as he approached, the same cold front he put up in Camp, the same cold front here as golden eyes slowly appraised the other hero like the hawk they most appeared like. He gives a click against his teeth with his tongue, turning his head away. "Who else would I be." he grumbles, keeping his head turned. "I don't have those answers. Not with any certainty to answer you with. We're all piecing it together ourselves. Nothing's keeping you connected to us, though our enemies might not see it that way. They're your enemies too. So do you have a choice? Any port in a storm."

He finally stands to his full height, fixing his eyes on Void once more. "That isn't important to me however. You being with us, you not being with us. I've worked very hard to keep who I am from the team. I need to know no matter your answer, that you won't tell them either. If I have your word that you won't tell them, Errant especially, then you have my blessing for whatever the hell it's worth to be with us if you want. You don't owe it to me for anything I did for you at the Camp, but if I don't have your word things will be difficult."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Spoiler
    Show

Not having a choice in who he's working with...people coming after him even if he wasn't a part of the team....this was all so overwhelming...Alex was getting jittery and looked down at the ground, afraid of even looking up into Fox's eyes.

"I-I don't k-know why y-you want t-to keep w-w-who y-you are a s-secret, b-but I-I will k-keep it, if that's what y-y-you w-want....a-and I d-do owe y-you, you're o-one of t-the few p-people who g-gave me a-a chance and I-I don't w-want to push you a-away because I-I didn't w-want to keep a s-secret.....n-not like I-I have m-many people to t-tell it t-to...I-I'd just b-be labeled a-as evil for d-doing it, a-anyway."

Like anyone would trust anything I say. I'm an evil supervillain to most people, and I don't want to make anyone's views on me to get worse. Might get locked up for good if I do.
    Last edited by Abbyqween; 2020-09-28 at 03:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

Fox frowns, looking away again. Emotions, and giving the support needed to help those with them in abundance, was not a lesson one learned as a Son of Albion. They were to be pushed down, drank away and eaten with butter and bread in the morning and never, never, never discussed.

"If they find out who I am, others will find out who I am." Fox starts. "If that were to happen, I would be hunted down like a dog and killed in the street and no one would make what needs to be righted right. My family, my people, would be dead and when I join them in the world beyond I will not be among their number. I would have failed them, their slaughter un-avenged. I have given pause to this rightous mission for the sake of the team but when our work is done, I will reveal myself and do what I must. Success, death in trying, I will at least have done what was right. I will see my mother and father again. Not as a child, hidden beneath a bed too scared to make a sound but as a man. I will take a sword to the heart of Albion and burn it to the ground."

He looks back at Void for a few, long seconds.

"Now you know. You, and you alone. If they find out, I'll know it was from you. We are done here."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Spoiler
    Show

"I...o-o-o-ok-k-k-ay."

Alex didn't think he could say more than that, his voice was already loosing any volume it had. His body was shaking, and so was his breath. He was being trusted with so much...why was Fox even telling him this?...Would Fox actually die if this got out?....he'd rather not find out. This is...is too important to let out, he can't slip up, he just can't. Better to be more nervous and closed off if questions were asked about Fox than let anything happen to him.

He headed out of the meeting spot, and went right home, not stopping for anything. That day wasn't going to be a day out on the streets, looking for people to save. He didn't want to risk other people getting hurt because he was focused on something else. He needed to give himself enough courage to keep himself from saying anything, no matter how accidental. He needed to focus.

20. - Top - End - #230

PirateGuy

JigaWatt
    Show

Show
      - What are they up to?

Whatever he had been expecting to see once inside the fabled Ossuary...well, this certainly isn't it. The whole Hallowe'en theme isn't unexpected, although he never would have painted a picture quite like this without having seen it. The mix of patrons is almost bewildering, but certainly seems to match expectations.

But...hip-hop ghosts on stage, performing of all things one of Tom MacDonald's new releases? That...seems odd, even though his head is already bobbing appreciatively to the beats.

Still feeling underdressed, he tries to shove the feelings aside and take in the environs. He feels he should say something profound to mark this momentous occasion.

"This place is lit," he observes.

Okay. They can't all be on point....

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

Parties were not Fox's scene.

With greetings given and a wait to endure, Fox had little to do with himself. If he were not in costume he might enjoy kicking back and having some time to dance in a more public and less reserved setting like the dance classes...but that certainly wasn't what was going on here. A large part of him tugged at the remaining skeptical side that said that Corax was going to test them. The whole of him was pretty sure it already started and all of this, all this waiting, was just part of a far larger game.

So, like all good aspiring sorcerers a little too eager to hold on to their edge, he found a good dark corner to spy on the others here in the gloom while he let the pulse of dance music wash over him. He could keep an eye on the team and on these other mages. They were, ostensibly, rivals, dangers to keep track of. Not that he needed to add more to the list but when you were making lists...best to keep them up to date.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Spoiler
    Show

Being around a ton of people was not Alex's cup of tea. Even the music was barely helping to keep him calm, just barely stopping him from fidgeting. He wanted away from all these people, but he kept himself there, nervously glancing at the other patrons, partially because he wanted to keep on helping with the situation the attack caused, partially because he didn't want to run into anyone here.

"It's pretty crowded, too. I, uh, could we maybe find someplace to sit down? I...don't like the crowd. Or people getting near me." The stutter was worse than it usually was, Alex's voice shuddering very slightly.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 4/5
    Show

Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.

Earlier - Castle Grail

At Sir Maelan's encouragement, Aiden feels his chest swell with pride and he can't supress the stupid grin that spreads across his face. By the time he regains his composure enough to respond, Errant Red is gone, off down the stone path that winds through the fields of amber grain to the Gate beyond. Reaching for Durendal, Aiden gives the handle a congralatory squeeze. Handled myself like a Knight! Maybe, just maybe, this New Dawn thing would prove to be the break he'd been waiting for. Perhaps even...his first Quest? The thought is both thrilling and sobering at once, and he carries it like a weight on his shoulders as he strides into the Castle for his audience.

Now - The Ossuary

From the very first moment he crosses the lintel, the Ossuary assaults Aiden's senses. The sights, the sounds, the smells. For a place that went to such lengths to project an image of death, it positively teems with life! This was nothing like Albian taverns or dancehalls. Far more than a mere haunt or lair or grotto, this was the playground for some of the most powerful people, creatures, and things in existence. One part pagan cathedral, one part court for the arcane atistocracy, shaken up with a raging party and poured over smoking dry ice! The Ossuary overpowers Aiden with the seduction of the forbidden - he shouldn't be here, and there's no place he would rather be.

Wherever he looked, there was something new to gawk at, somebody worth catching a glimpse of. Famous faces from every corner of the Veil, and a few older ne'er-do-wells too. Iz'rale Hans pulls from a mug of something frothy at the bar, no doubt fresh from running some deep-space blockade. David, exiled prince of the Gargoyles, sits in a booth consulting with some tiger-headed person with paws that look like they were put on backwards somehow. Chama is kicking up a firestorm on the dancefloor, and Stargazer sits at a table one level up staring down intently at their little group. If ever there was a place to be, this is it!

As one song ends and another begins, Aiden's ears perk up. The strings and pipes and dulcimer tones are unmistakably Albian, and as he scans the stage through his lion helm, he's suprised to see a a ghostly troupe that looks like they could have been pulled straight out of a tapestry at Castle Grail. But though the style is old, the song is decidedly modern, and when the drums break in, he can feel it the rhythm pounding through his veins. The news that Corax would be delayed is no disappointment for Aiden. Of course, Fox immediately makes a beeline for a dark, mysterious corner to brood in, and Alex doesn't seem to be much enjoying the experience, but that isn't his problem. Not today. "Maybe you should follow Fox," he says. "He usually stays as far away from people as he can get." For his part, Lucan seems to be more amenable to playing, bobbing his head to the music. "Come on, Lucan. Let's show these two how to cut loose!" Clapping the other boy on the shoulder, he heads toward the crowd on the dance floor, making his way toward a girl with a long tow-headed braid who looks like she might know a thing or two about Albian dancing.

24. - Top - End - #234

Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

JigaWatt, you take the scene in, and it is a scene by the best definition. Some of the city's finest B-listers are here, like the villainous Opal Sidhe (glittering in a pool of sourceless moonlight), and the heroic Adrian Scorn (complete with trademark leather jacket and surrounded by groupies), and you recognize at least a dozen other major players in the local scene, including a couple of villains that you thought had retired.

Before you can say anything to any of them, however, you get noticed. First one, a girl your age in robes, then a pair of twins that look slightly younger in matching costumes, and then more and more until you've got a group nearly as large as some of those big leaguers. All of them young, and all of them Amp'd or Dawnbreaker fans. They call out your name and crowd around you, ecstatic to meet their personal hero.

Fox, you slip to a shadowy corner and make yourself scarce, watching the proceedings from a place of isolation and secrecy. And then... the shadows let you know that you weren't the only one to come up with that idea. Another figure peels away from the shadows, a mage like you, though the shadows have their favorite. He's about your age, but his style is not as occult as yours, or at least not as genuine. Lanky hair dyed black, gothic makeup applied a little too heavily, and an outfit with so many unnecessary clasps and chains and buckles, all of it black, black, and shades of black.

He leans against the wall and gives you a nod like that means anything to you. "Sup. You look like you wanted to get away from those juveniles too." He doesn't look a day older than you. "Kinda sad they think any of that matters, right?" He shakes his head. "They're out there dancing and laughing, and they don't even know, man. They don't even know. I pity them."

Void, the second Errant's comment to you has reached your ears, there is a shift in the air, a bit of disorientation, and then you're standing next to the bar, an empty seat beside you. You're not far from where you were, from the others, and you could swear you haven't moved at all... it's almost like it was the Ossuary that moved, while you stayed perfectly still.

A ghost glances over at you. "Food? Drink?"

Errant, the flaxen-haired girl grins as you approach, and once you're closer you realize she looks vaguely familiar, but perhaps not quite in the way you had been looking for, and you can't quite place her. "Hey, you're one of those Knights of Albion, yeah? I've read a bunch of your stories, they're some of my favorites. I'm Anika the Bard."

The outfit matches the name, a classic bard's ensemble complete with poofiness and instrument. Now you recognize her: she's your generation, and part of a team of heroes who all got their powers from a cursed Dungeons & Dragons book, of all things. True to your assumption, though, once you start moving like an Albian she's quick to copy, and slips into the rhythm effortlessly.

The Days Between

Aiden, you arrive at the castle proper and find Bartimaeus himself waiting just beyond the Chalice of Kings, his gaze watching it intently. And next to the Wizard, out of his armor but with perfect posture and that distinctive shining spear, Rhongomiant, that is said to strike any target with unerring accuracy, is the Grey Knight.

Errant Red warned you that Grey had talked of taking away Durendal, and at the very thought you feel your blade flare up reflexively, as if to reassure you that it isn't going anywhere. But the look on Grey's face isn't one of distaste or distrust, but something altogether warmer.

"There he is, the Dawnbreaker himself." Grey's accent is thicker than Red's, but his voice lacks the gruffness of the old soldier. Grey grins at you and waves you over. "I had my doubts, I'll admit, but you've really proved us worrywarts wrong. I'm impressed with how you carried yourself in that fight, and so is much of the, ah, I think you call it the 'Veil'. At least, so my daughter tells me."

Bartimaeus looks up from the Chalice and his intense gaze is now focused on you, fully and completely, to an unnerving degree. "Ah, Errant White. Good. I watched your battle with interest. I saw much, and much has happened. I even saw the present left for our order by your... teammate, the shadow-fox. I have learned much from that poor victim. And I have many questions. Questions about this 'New Dawn', about the alchemy they have access to, about the battle... and about the Witch who aided you in that battle. Please, tell me everything."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

It did not seem his quest for solitude among the masses would be granted, not from the whispers of the shadows nor from dangerous faces. Fox shifted to keep the rest of the team within sight, perhaps looking a bit too eager to rise to his full height over this new person that the shadows seem to have sent him. There was nothing for him to say, at first, the lexicon inscrutable but all the same directed at him. It would seem he really didn't know though how was one supposed to when such comments were offered up without so much context. He'd have been more than happy to join those "juveniles" out dancing if it weren't for the fact that he was with the team and they were on business. "Do you think that we would join you in your melancholy?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled a 6 on a Pierce the Mask. Bummer.

26. - Top - End - #236

PirateGuy

JigaWatt
    Show

Show
      - What are they up to?

JigaWatt isn’t precisely a stranger to fans, of course. While he does tend to interact with them more in a digital format – comments, DMs, reaction videos – he runs into or deliberately meets up with fans on a reasonably regular basis.

Just...rarely quite so dramatically as this. As much as he is a celebrity with fans and followers, he knows that he’s not up there with the bigger movers and shakers that have been legit heroes and personalities from long before he ever got his powers.

But you wouldn’t really know it, with the fans he’s gathered here, and he’s frankly a little amazed at the number of Amp’d and ‘Breakers that are in the crowd this evening...and a little part of him can’t help but wonder if that’s been set up deliberately.

Regardless, he has a responsibility!

"Hey hey, I always knew my fans were the best peeps around, and now y’all are here proving me right!" he exclaims, spreading out his arms to make hand contact with fans who want that touch, continuing to move slowly to carry him within reach of everyone gathered around.

"What a night here at the Ossuary!" he goes on, as if he has any prior visits to judge by. "I knew I needed to be here for an important meeting, but I didn’t know it was with all of you," he banters. "We all ready to have some fun tonight? Let’s get AMP’D!" He spreads his hands, electricity a crackling arc between his fingers until it bursts in a rain of sparks that sizzle towards the floor, a flashy bit of nothing that’s the least he can do for fans that have sought him out.

If the team has to wait for their meeting, he may as well show these folk that he can be fun. Even if he's not entirely sure he really is, at the moment....

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Void
    Spoiler
    Show

Movement. The entire place moved, just like that. Alex was glancing around trying to see where everyone...and they were exactly where they were before. But now he was at the bar.....magic is so confusing.

"Uh, no thank you, I'd like to just...get to Fox, if you don't mind. Um, how does that work, exactly?" He didn't entirely trust this place, even if people said it was safe, so even if he is a little hungry, he'd just have to get something somewhere after. Maybe the others....oh, right, they just left him like that. Alone. In the middle of a crowded room. 'Am I that unbearable to be around? Did I say anything to make them mad at me? Or am I just...' And now he was stuck in a spiral of thoughts, not really paying attention to his surroundings.
    Last edited by Abbyqween; 2020-10-15 at 12:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 5/5
    Show

Show

The Days Between - Castle Grail

"Th-thank you, sir!" Aiden responds, a little dumbstruck. Even Sir Maelan's heads-up hadn't prepared him to receive praise from Errant Grey! Next to Green, Grey had always been Aiden's most stalwart opposer, and by far the most truculent. "I couldn't have done it without my team."

For his part, Bartimaeus is quick to get to business, Aiden breathes a sigh of relief. While he welcomes the sudden outpouring of praise, it's unsettling, so he's happy to let the matter at hand absorb the attention. "The alchemy? It was nothing that I could recognize from my studies. Fox might know something about it? I'll ask him what he knows. Whatever it is, it seems to be effective as both an injected liquid and an inhaled gas. Dr. Moreau used a lot on himself, and it made him stronger. But I've never seen anything like the gas before. These transformations are new."

"As for the witch, I don't know much about her. She goes by Corax. Fox knows her somehow. She's one of Lich Girl's apprentices. And she knows who I am somehow. My name. Things about... I got a message on Veil, an invitation an audience at the Ossuary. She told me to leave your 'spy' at home. Said it was hard enough to evade it at the battle. I didn't even know she was there."

Now - The Ossuary

Aiden had been expecting a fellow Albian, but Anika was a pleasant enough surprise. Maybe even better - it's less likely she'd think he was Calder behind the lion helm. He'd heard of her team, seen a few clips on Veil. What was their name? Waterdeepers? That couldn't be right. He didn't have much time to consider it - the girl had moves! "Hey, you're pretty good at this! You could even pass for Albian. Must be that bardic knowledge! So what brings you here? Business or pleasure?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 4 to pierce Anika's mask. Marking potential, bringing me to 5 and another advance.

29. - Top - End - #239

Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

Fox, your sharp dismissal rankles the edgy teen, who puffs up and glares at you. "Guess I was wrong about you. You're just another gullible loser drifting in the sea of the everyman. Read Nietzsche some time, maybe then you'll get a clue." He stalks off, ego bruised.

In his place, a new figure steps into frame. Still young but at least three years Fox's senior, and this one has an altogether more colorful sense of style. He's not wearing a costume, just brightly-colored clothing and a red vest with a scale pattern on it. Hair messy and brown, eyes a peculiar shade of orange. He gives you an easy grin and points at the kid walking away without looking at him. "You'll have to forgive Clarence there, his rich parents spoil him. Or don't forgive him, I'd love to liven up this night with a duel of the dark mages." He shrugs.

Void, the moment you express your desire to get to Fox the world around you shifts. It's subtle at first, barely noticeable, but the energy builds, a tension in the air, a darkness, a hunger. The Ossuary beats its vast heart within that cage of bone, and that heartbeat pulses through your body. It is listening. It is watching. It is here.

You see Fox beyond, in a corner with someone else, and you take a single step you are there, next to him, as if there had only ever been a few feet separating you all along. That sense of the Ossuary, of the presence watching you and lingering on your skin, dissipates. But you know that it is still watching, and it is still there.

Fox and Void, the grinner with the orange eyes looks you both over and clicks his tongue. "Interesting, interesting. Would never have guessed."

He lets that comment go unexplained and leans against the nearest wall, which seems closer now than it was a second ago. "Name's Kirin. That Kirin. Welcome to my club."

You both recognize the name: Kirin, apprentice to Lich Girl. He's one of the world's only mortal practitioners of dragon magic, having stolen it from dragons with the help of his master. Contract magic, draconic sorcery, dragon aspecting, he's a prodigy in all of it, though not yet as powerful as the Dragon Sage of the southern hemisphere or the Shining Scale monastic order of the east.

JigaWatt, whatever your personal doubts, the crowd eats up your trademark banter and electric sizzle. The world orients around you and your group is in the middle of the central floor, music blaring louder and an infectious energy sweeping through the crowd. Your fans are the center of it, an excitement that burns bright. You can feel other eyes on you, those who aren't Amp'd or Breakers but are driven to acknowledge you by the energy you bring.

If you make enough noise, even the old guard might be forced to pay attention.

Errant, the bard girl laughs at your comment. "Maybe it was bardic inspiration that drove me here. It's not every day you get to party at the most magical place in Halcyon City. The rest of my team's not as fun as I am, though." She points over to the bar where a steretypical fantasy cleric, fighter, and wizard are all milling about awkwardly. "Well, 'cept Rogue. He's somewhere in the crowd, no idea where though. How about yourself? Never thought I'd see a full-on knight in shining armor in a place like this."

The Days Between

Bartimaeus's expression seems to shift when you speak of Corax. "Dangerous, that one. Anyone who associates with the lich is... not to be trusted. That lot has ever seen fit to twist truth and mutilate virtue." He pauses, then adds, "You should still go, of course. There is much to be learned from the den of the enemy. But do not forget that people like her are the enemy. Nothing good has ever come of dark magic. I know this better than most." A shadow falls over his face, and for a moment you feel the weight of eternity. Albians do not forget the fire that forged them.

Serenity returns to the old wizard, and he says, "Now, of this New Dawn. Do you know anything more than has been displayed so brazenly across this city's news feeds? For a group so used to the shadows to step so suddenly into the light, there must be more at play. A hidden goal obscured by sound and fury."

Grey nods. "There's always another shoe, Errant. Remember that. No matter how well you think you've got the situation handled, the filthy villains will always spring a new surprise on you."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Fox
    Conditions:

Fox merely watches the moody boy go and hardly reacts when Void replaces them. All the familiar feelings of Camp Joy surge as the stuttering teen makes their way back to his side. It was not surprising though he was fairly eager to not have to watch over another teammate in such dangerous territory. He needed to keep his focus. It would seem that wasn't to be. Perhaps it was this place, magic to disorient and confuse.

If Kirin's bragging, replacing bragging of another sort, lands it doesn't register. The mention of dragons does not bode well. Albians of all strips were touchy on that subject, the Dragon a symbol of chaos and anarchy, the death of their lands and the impetus that scattered them to the four winds. Someone who trucked with them was equal in all of those regards as was the claim that this was his bar. It was not a fight worth taking. The wait was growing interminable. "It is very nice. We are not here to partake in all it has to offer. We are certain you did not simply come to console us."