New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Thoughts on the Tarrasque

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    'After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn.'

From the spell description of dimension door.
    Huh. Don't know how I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

So, the Wizard could use Teleport to get to you and DimDoor to leave, but that does leave a 3% chance of a mishap that will probably get you killed. Alternatively, he could cast a Resilient Sphere on you and DimDoor in, then DimDoor out with you next turn (I don't know if there's any official ruling on whether teleportation works through a Resilient Sphere, but it seems reasonable to me). If that doesn't work, you can hide inside the Sphere and hope that the Tarrasque gets bored and wanders off before it runs out, or else just accept the 3% chance of your rescue going awry and you dying horribly.

EDIT: Actually, it occurs to me that if the Wizard is able to cast Teleport as a swift action through either of the methods I mentioned, an "off target" result needn't be the end of you - he can take another swift action to try again and still have time to escape with you in tow. It's only the "Similar Area" result that causes irreparable catastrophe.
    Last edited by GeneralTacticus; 2007-10-20 at 05:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Regeneration

Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage, and the creature automatically cures itself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, as given in the creature’s entry.

Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.

Creatures with regeneration can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts die if they are not reattached.

Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by weapons that deal it lethal damage.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.
    I stand corrected.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    He takes a -6 penalty to his spot check from distance. Also, the DC 20 spot check will just tell you "something's there". He needs to make a spot check opposed by the warlock's hide check, and the warlock gets a +20 to his hide check if he's moving. If he's still, then he gets a +40.
    If the warlock isn't doing anything, then he can't attack the tarrasque to begin with. If he is, then it's a DC 20 (okay, modified up slightly for distance, yes). Not to pinpoint, granted, but to notice.

As for pinpointing ...

Scent has a range of 30ft normally, and has a max range of 60ft, which the warlock's out of.
    Sure, if you ignore all of the points I made in my post earlier about why the warlock maintaining a perfect 65-foot distance is unlikely at best, and how in fact the warlock may do well just to stay out of touch range, given how much vertical distance the tarrasque can potentially cover just by ducking low and then coming up, without even bothering to jump.

I mean, if I do squats, I probably go down like a foot or so. If the tarrasque does squats, it probably goes down like, what, a couple dozen feet at least? A few dozen maybe? Hell, that 20-foot speed it has must be just the one giant step it takes that turn!

The warlock has to be at least just inside that 65-foot window (apparently using that built-in rangefinder of his to know exactly how far away 65 feet is), but if the tarrasque ends one turn crouched low and then begins the next by surging up to its tippy toes, Mr. Warlock might have a teensy lil' problem.

Yay tactics?
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-20 at 05:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124

BarbarianGuy

Note that the maximum range is at 60ft ONLY if the warlock's upwind. The warlock can be downwind and the scent is reduced to a lowly 15ft.
    Last edited by Armads; 2007-10-20 at 06:47 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

The Hero's Feast spell creates enough magically delicious food for one creature per level. Feed him till he goes sleepy time and then deal with him.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds like the way my Gramma would deal with the Tarrasque. "Eat, eat! I don't want you to go away hungry. Look at you, you're skin and bones, eat more!" Actually, the way either of my grammas would, except the other one would say "Mange, mange" instead of "Eat, eat".

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I've given some of my players (they're all new) a breif description of the Tarrasque...they like it. Maybe I'll let them find it in a dungeon somewhere...sleeping...or waking up. Heh. They're only level 2.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*