New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Pan-aeons: a God Game

At the Coronation-
    The golden dragon Stonewing had been sent as representative of the Horizon Tribe for this momentous occasion. Everything seemed according to plan. They were all set to bow before this new ruler, and make a long winded speech about the value of friendship between the two societies, when they noticed something very unexpected. The wood demon had arrived, with a gift. Suddenly panic struck them and their thoughts began racing:

“A gift, did I need to bring a gift? No one told me that. Why didn’t they tell me that? What am I supposed to do? The Cult will like the wood demon better than us, then they’ll make an alliance, then they’ll create a secret plan to destroy Rokanon and kill us all! Everything will die, devoured by crows, or chickens, or some other stupid bird. I’m doomed! They’ll hang me by my entrails. They’ll feed me to tigers. They’ll melt me down and throw me in the ocean! I’ve got to fix this. I need something as good as that stupid horn. Now, what do I have? Myself, that’s all I got. Oh mother Su’ule, please let her like this.”

Stonewing winced as he tore off one of his scales. He worked it in his hand until it became a golden ring shaped like a worm, a good omen. He flew up to Thalia and presented her his gift. “As a symbol of friendship between our peoples I give you my ring. If you ever have need of a dragon’s wisdom, you may rub the ring to summon me.”

Spoiler: Help:
    Show
    Timorin’s Hope now owns the worm’s ring. When pressed it will drag Stonewing to the hope to grant them aid. When he finally dies another golden dragon will take up the duty, as by then Stonewing’s scheme will have been revealed and the position of ring dragon will be made official to save face.

+2 Ambition: Knowing that a powerful beast is always at their beck and call, Timorin's Hope shall be more willing to be bold and take risks.
    +2 Fortune: Stonewing can command fortune just as all of his species can. Timorin’s Hope will be great at board games.
    +1 Dreams: Stonewing can enter dreams, just as all of his species can, Timorin’s Hope will always have that avenue of communication open to them.

Stonewing spent the rest of the evening mostly calm, and pleased at the success of his plan, until the moment he saw Valrion. He was struck by divine inspiration, and opened a path in Valrion's mind. The next time Valrion dreams he shall see Dulnori again, which due to his busy schedule, will be a few weeks from now.
    Last edited by flyinglemur; 2020-04-09 at 07:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alatadriel, 78 AP, The Diviworld, Alatadriel's furnace
    "Hmph, I'll show Chern and his stupid syringe! Bloody, Rotman trying to show me up with his metallurgy. Look at me, I can make hollow needles! I live in a hole underground!" She had her blacksmith's apron on, a set of brass goggles over her eyes as she worked over a ticking brain. "Well, fool. I might not ever have been good at brains, but if you think you can show the goddess of smithing up, well you have another thing coming!" She pulled out a small tube, running fire through it, in a way that would remind a modern man of a blow torch. She welded a panel shut on the brain and conjured a small roaring fire underneath it, carefully placing it inside the ticking brain. It belched out smoke outside of its sides as the crisp crack of life shuddered, sending the brain nearly off the table before the fire died down. It still smoked, but through the lower part of the brain, two pinpricks were seen through the eyes of the machine. "Well can he create LIFE! WITH! MACHINES!" Alatadriel cackled as she put the brain into a gigantic brass machine. Nearly seventeen feet tall, and having to weigh at least ten decafirkins, this sturdy clockwork machine was humanoid in figure, with two giant oversized pairs of hands. The Polished monstrosity glinted in the light, it's face was expressionless, only wearing a simple line for its mouth, and was just a roughly dome-shaped piece of brass instead of a head. Leaving the being without a neck. A large metal door on the front could be opened from its gigantic brass barrel of a torso. Opening it inside, Alatadriel carefully put in the tube she used to weld in one of the many, many compartments holding a variety of tools inside of the machine. Roughly where the heart of a man would be was a bustling beehive. The bees occasionally flew out from the holes in the arms of the machine. The squat legs of the creature looking comical on its gigantic body.

As Alatadriel carefully put in the brain of the creature, the creature started to tick more and more until eventually, it reached an equilibrium like a pendulum. smoke came out from the top of its head from two small pipes that looked a bit like ears on the machine's strange head. It whirred, turning to its side and for one of the few times in Alatadriel's divine life. Someone looked down at her. "Initiating Greeting Protocol. Hello, I am Davy Civil Engineering Beedez. It is pleasant to finally be able to talk to the one who created me. You are very beautiful." The voice of the creature did not seem to come from its mouth but from somewhere behind the eyes of the creature. The machine known as Davy had a voice that sounded what one would imagine a boiler would have if they could speak.

"Beedez? I didn't program that... Oh, it's of no importance anyway. State your prime directive,"

"Prime Directive: To increase the infrastructures of soul-based races by performing acts of civil engineering. Ah, I yearn to work!" The creature shook it's hands up and down enthusiastically.

"Good. Passcode, Beekeeper. State your Classified Secondary Directive."

"To make fun of Chern whenever I see him. Initiating Joke protocol! Ha Ha!" The machine slapped at its voluminous belly. "You are significantly shorter than me! You look so weak and sickly, like a wounded puppy but even more pathetic! Have you even lifted a tree, bro!" The machine did the closest equivalent it could get to a flex of its biceps.

"Ha! Very good, Davy. You'll have quite a handful in the village that I'll be sending to you. But I'm sure you'll be able to handle it."

"Ah, yes! Good! Challenges will allow my repository of civil engineering information to grow exponentially! Or at least linearly!"
    Alatadriel opened a portal to the city of Al-Estria.

Rosalin sat in her office drinking a crushed up drink of mainly kale juice, and acacia berry. She stirred it once again as she got ready for her morning run. She could never get that kale consistency quite right. She always ended up getting bits of kale in her teeth and- Rose spit out her drink onto the window as she looked outside, seeing the shining behemoth in the town square right outside of her door. She burst through the door, breaking one of the hinges with how hard she threw it open. "WHAT IN THE HOLY FLAME IS THIS!"

Alatadriel bowed to the citizens quickly gathering in the town square. "This is my newest creation. A great machine to help you all. A machine not only capable of thinking but one of great ingenuity even. I will let him introduce himself."

"Initiating Greeting Protocol. Hello, my name is Davy Civil Engineering Beedez. I am here to build the infrastructure of soul-based creatures. Please excuse me, mam. But I believe you have broken the door." The crowd still too shocked to say anything watched as Davy opened up his chest, bees escaping as he did so. He took out a hammer and some nails. Comically undersized in his gigantic hands and carefully stooped down. Before he put his tools back into his cavernous stomach, he turned to one of the people in the crowd. His massive hand that could easily crush the man pointed to the hat on top of his head. A black stovepipe hat. "Sir, could you tell me where you found such a dashing item? I believe that I would very much like to buy one of these hats for myself. Much larger of course." The man, slackjawed simply pointed to the store behind him.
    Spoiler: action
    Show
    16 AP/12 DC: Create a +2 domain religious artefact (max 3 per god). Davy Civil Engineering Beedez, the Civil Engineering Automaton. +2 Civil Engineering.
    +2 Fires from the divine fire that powers him, and +1 from the bees that populate the inside of him.
    Davy Civil Engineering Beedez is a truly miraculous invention. The first and perhaps what will be the only fully sentient and thinking machine. The ramifications of which is something even it's own creator cannot predict. Though, everyone believes the gigantic creature is its body. Davy is actually only that of the small brain that powers its massive hulking body. If one were to take out the brain from the gigantic automaton, it could easily power a similar body. Theoretically, a god could even overwrite the directives of Davy to something else entirely.
    Despite Davy's sentience, he tends to view things in strange inhuman ways. Nothing gives him more satisfaction in life than following his prime directives, and while he can and has developed plenty of interests outside of these main protocols, his being will always find itself pivoting towards these in-built goals. Leading to a very single-focused and goal-driven mind. He's just so happy to help build things. And will typically not take no for an answer when he knows a better way to engineer something. Especially if it is for something silly like aesthetics.

... Oh, and the bees are there because his machine body naturally collects the honey and turns them into delicious treats for his fellow working man.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chern, 64 AP, Sanctuary continued

Nerassus walks up to stand besides Chern, watching him work. Once the god is done, he nods slowly. "Thank you. Momma apparently has great plans for this thing. We'll see how it pans out. Are you headed out at once? If not, we've got some caverns you might like to explore. I could show you Misty's old hangout if you wish."

He shows Chern to a nearby cave entrance, leading deep down into the bowels of the island. "This isn't the fastest way to Misty's secret, but I guess it's the more scenic route. Of a sort." He hides a soft chuckle. "It was one of the first proper mines on the island. Nowadays it's mostly visited by history students and archaeologists.""

"Right..." Chern inspects the space around him, finding it strange to be in a tunnel not formed from glowloam. "I suppose this is not your first tour then?"

"Yeah. We run tours for the kids once a month, since there's an important lesson in history for them to learn down here. I rarely invite adults, because they are a lot harder to keep tabs on. If you see an over-eager Sight-walker around here, do let me know."

"You have students here even now?" Chern asked, just as they rounded a corner and found India Kroft sitting on a stone ledge, bathed in the light of a magicite geode. There was a glint from her hand, as she stowed something away in her coat. Chern's eyes narrowed a fraction.

"Only this one." Nerassus exhales softly, resting a hand on his side. "Finding anything interesting? I hope you haven't been disturbing P'ua. He can get grouchy if he's bothered too often."

"Oh pleeeease," said India, standing up and approaching the pair. "No one gets bothered by me, you know that. Who's your friend? Another god I assume."

"Chern," Chern greeted. India laughed, then fell silent, frowning at the masked man.

"Wait, really?!" she asked, incredulous.

"Yeah really." Nerassus rubs his chin thoughtfully. "At this rate, I think you'll be the mortal who has properly interacted with the most gods in the world. Not bad for a student who only attended half her classes."

"Not bad at all," Chern echoed sternly. He kept glancing down at the student's coat pocket. India shifted nervously.

"Yeah," she said, "that's Petr, Timorin, Chern now... And I suppose we've all met Yir. Crazy."

"Hah yeah. I love Poppa, but subtle he ain't." Nerassus turns to Chern. "She is the one who found an old dagger of divine power in the ruins of Grawpolis. An artifact of quite a bit of power. Not quite sure how safe it is. It's certainly the biggest find the University can speak of though. Bigger than even the unearthing of the old prehist statues."

"Ah. That." Chern held out a hand to India. "May I see it?"

India retrieved the wrapped dagger from her pocket, laying it with well restrained reverence in the decay god's hand.

"Careful, it may be old, but it's sharp. Still have a cut." She displayed the bandage on her hand. Chern spared it a brief study, before gently unwrapping the dagger and peering down at it.

"You said you knew Timorin?" he clarified.

"I do. Well, I've met him once."

"So he knows of this?"

"He was the one to divine its nature."

"I see." Chern wrapped the dagger once more, fingers moving with careful deliberation, and handed it back to India. "It was nice to meet you, India Kroft."

India took the dagger, stowing it away with a relieved smile. "The honour's all mine, Wiltwatcher."

"Uncle talked about wanting to show off the dagger later on. So everyone will get to keep a close eye on how it's used. For now I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure it won't be used for ill. Oh, that reminds me." Nerassus searches through one of his pockets, pulling out the small divivice belonging to Chern. "Do you... do you want this back?"

"No no, I don't need it. Keep it. It was given to you. If you're to pass it on to anyone," Chern gestured at the human opposite them, "let it be one of your students. India seems... Intrepid."

"Well that's good. She's gonna need it when we're calling the Godsmoot after all." Nerassus grins, throwing the artifact to India. "Use it with care though. Monsters have begun showing up in the diviworld because of the Mandate of Su'ule."

India's eyes shone in the light of trickling hourglass.

"I... Don't know what to say, this treasure, it's- Thank you both so much."

"Just remember to credit me in your dissertation," the god requested drily. His eyes swept back up the cave. "We'd best continue, I don't want to keep my ship waiting. We'll be passing the Lucent Archipelago- Twilight, I suppose it is now. I may drop in on Timorin there."

"Indeed. See you around India. And try to make it back out by sundown if you want dinner to be warm when you arrive." He begins to walk with Chern, and just as they reach a bend in the hallway he turns around and with a cheeky grin he whispers omniously. "Oh, and don't bother the dolls."

Chern gave India a final over-the-shoulder glare, but was promptly diverted by Nerassus' comment.

"Dolls?"

"Oh yeah." Nerassus frowns. "After Varpier's attacks, some of the people in Sanctuary got... desperate. They sought ways to protect the island. Firstly it led to all magic, even pyromancy, being pushed hard on everyone to learn and utilize, so that we can awaken the potential for Su'Speech in as many as possible. Even with such a concentrated effort though, we're still looking at a handful at most every generation. And so some..." He breathes deeply and diverts their path once more. The two go down, far down, maybe even below the ocean surface until they reach a large chamber, where a massive stone door has been carved out as a barrier. Nerassus utters a few words of power, and the door responds, rolling to the side to reveal a chamber full of... well, dolls. Creations of stone, or steel, or cloth, all lying about lifeless at first. But as they enter, one of the dolls begins to shift about and move. It's a small doll. Barely a foot tall, made out of straw bound within hemp.

"Nerassus! How nice of you to come visit me."

"Hello Master P'ua." Nerassus kneels down, scooping up the doll and holding it before Chern. "P'ua, this is the Wiltwatcher himself. Chern, meet P'ua. He was the Master of Aquamancy... five hundred years ago."

Chern blinked at the doll. "A living doll... A crying, walking, sleeping, talking, living doll." He peered closer. "P'ua... Did we meet at the baby shower?"

"Yes we did Lord Chern." The doll attempts to make a show of bowing. It's not perfect, but the intention is clear. "If I recall correctly, we shared a cup of chum together. We talked about the role of decay within healing, but the discussion never finished as young Misty dragged you off to dance."

Chern blushed behind his mask. "My apologies... Though it seems you've found a new and interesting way of applying your principles of preservation, since we last spoke."

"Oh indeed. I... certainly do miss having a body. This is... quite suboptimal. I can't even feel Nera's hugs." The demigod huffs, glancing aside for a moment. "But our talk certainly did inspire me. I've bound my soul to an object, and I use my sorcery to animate this doll as if it were my own body. Nerassus has been a great help. He's carved runes and enchantment into a lot of different constructs. Which is good. If the island is ever attacked, I can throw myself into the fray, and if this body is destroyed, I have countless others as backup."

"By rot... My people in central Tria, they base much of their strength on what they lose. It certainly seems I did inspire you. Or perhaps you me."

Chern picked the doll up from Nerassus' arms, holding it face to face with himself.

"Incredible..."

"I am glad you approve Lord Chern. I know that what I... we." His eyes flicker to the other dolls in the chamber. "Have done is not exactly natural. I am still anxious for when I shall meet Lady Petra. But I remain convinced that this sacrifice is worth it. Our people need protection, and if I have to live like this, if it can even be called living, then it is a price I am willing to pay."

"If Petr decides to aid you in their divine manner, then I shall contribute what I can. You have my word."

Chern set P'ua down, then bowed to the doll himself.

"You have my gratitude." The doll turns around and walks up to a nearby ledge, settling down upon it. "Do you have questions my Lord? If not, forgive me my insolence but I should return to rest. Activating myself requires mana, and it would be blasphemous to draw mana from the divine."

"You know I offer mine up freely for you to claim."

"And I am grateful. But it still will not do to drink of your power merely to satisfy my own desire for talk."

"I'd best return to my ship, regardless," Chern said. "Well met P'ua."

"Safe journeys my lord." The doll jolts stiffly up for a moment, then flops down, lifeless once more.

"If you would please, I hope you do not share what has happened here today freely. The true nature of these defenses are a secret, usually only told to the Masters."

"So long as they're not bound here against their will, I'll reveal nothing," Chern promised, as they made their way back up the tunnels. "Truth be told, if these souls weren't from among the rulers of Sanctuary, I'd be sceptical of their freedom of choice."

"They are not. I would never permit my people to enslave their meekest for this." Nerassus listens as they walk up, the glint of daylight soon visible in the distance. "I understand completely. If I hadn't been part of the process myself, my thoughts would probably be the same as yours. It's also part of why this is such a well kept secret. There is no honour in this. Only work. Tireless work, tireless vigilance. I hope that, in time, we can figure out a way to give them more freedom of movement... but I do not have momma's understanding of flesh and blood and vitality. These constructs are the best I can build."

"Hmmm..."

Chern seemed to become lost in thought. Conversation turned to lighter topics, as they returned to the outdoor ocean air. Vidlans was waiting when they arrived back at the docks.

"Arrr! Chern-me-boy! Have a good land-lubbin' stroll? I'da come along meself, were it not for these gates. Ahoy! That's the 'eadmaster 'imself!"

"Nerassus... Meet Vidlans. Vidlans... Nerassus."

Nerassus tilts his head, looking over the peculiar sailor, before turning towards Chern for a brief moment. "A new friend? Greetings Vidlans. Pardon if I seem apprehensive. You just... strike me as the antithesis to Misty."

"Don't- Oh..."

"Whaaaaaat's that ye say? Misty? OoooooOOooooooOOOOooh... Who's Misty, Cap'n?"

"She's dead."

"A long lost lover then? I'm sensin' a tale untold to good Vidlans. Vidlans do like 'imself a tale o' long lost love!"

"Oh rot..." Chern looked up at Nerassus with tired eyes. "It was good to see you Nerassus. Until next time."

Nerassus winces softly at that. "Sorry... I'll see you around. You know you'll always have a safe harbour here." He smiles, inclining his head before he turns around, to walk back to the island shore.

---

The Passing

The Body and Soul were now codified into the theology of Ymon-Thal. This pleased Chern, to whom the twin gods were the oldest of allies. While he inspects the Pearlescent Moon, the god of decay filled a flask - much like the one he gifted Thal-Verys - with falling water from the Tabula Rasa, imbuing it with his divine power and floating it upstream to the Passing. Ymon-Desha will find the flask washed up on the bank in front of her, brimming with an endless supply of pure, cleansing water. Water for the body, spirits for the soul.

Spoiler: Help!
    Show
    Help Ymon-Thal create a demigod

+1 Sanitation, to gift Ymon-Desha with a flask of the purest water, capable of rejuvenating the more exhausted body, and washing clean the most foul of oerthly stains

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Gambler and the Monarch -

Dulnori and the queen decided to speak inside the old royal tent, once used to camp outside the Eternal Arena, now sitting as an unused relic of the nomadic period next to the digivice’s obelisk. The young queen was incredibly nervous, this was the most important thing that could ever happen to her after all. She had been able to put up a facade of confidence in the Emerald Castle, but she didn’t know how long she could last. She decided to mentally rehearse, while Dulnori was busy trying to figure out what form felt right for the occasion.

“Alright, just speak carefully. Don’t say anything dumb. Don’t show any weakness. Don’t tell him the real reason you were in the Emerald Palace. I was just writing down details about how the games have changed for posterity, absolutely nothing else. I wasn't sad about destiny, a queen doesn't think that way. It was fate for me to be queen now, even if mommy had to be gone for that to happen.”

In the end Dulnori took his seldom used human form, and began to pick her brain.

There are two questions I need to ask you most of all, the first of course is who you are?

“I’m the queen, I thought you said you knew that?”

I meant, what’s your name.

“Oh, I am Celia Ironhide of the second dynasty.”

Um,” The gambler stumbled for a moment, “How can that possibly be your name? That name belongs to no band that existed when I was last awake, and Elkhoof must have picked the heir that started your family. So, what am I missing here?

Celia’s heart sank, and her voice was noticeably shaky as she responded, “Well you see, merciful Dulnori, Elkhoof picked no one from a band as his heir. Elkhoof found a baby, alone at the edges of the steppe, next to his parents’ dead bodies. They had been mauled by a tiger leaving them totally unrecognizable, so no one knew the baby’s band. And that wasn’t his fault, it’s no one’s fault. So you see, Elkhoof decided to raise him as his own son, and gave him the name Ironhide. And if you think about it that’s really heroic, right? He saved the weak and everything. And if that disappoints you well I think that-”
    The gambler interrupted her, “That makes sense.

“Really?”

Elkhoof always wanted kids, but I figured he’d just fill the void with a dog or something. This is wonderful, I wish I had been there to congratulate him.

Celia breathed a sigh of relief, “Thank you Dulnori, you’ll find that my family has ruled faithfully.”

Now then, what I saw with my eye has intrigued me greatly. The creations of Grawisson, the ceratopsians and their cursed counterparts, I have seen them move in and out of Rokanon. They seem almost like a part of the tribe. If they are, then I shall protect them fully, but I want to know why they joined and what they do for our people.

Celia smiled. Appearances were hard to keep up, but stories were easy, and she had memorized this tale when she was very young. She stood up and began her recital, “Pretty soon after you were gone Braedan and Elkhoof heard the first reports of the scaled ones. They were tracked down and brought before the kings to explain themselves. They said they were made by Grawisson, and had just been dropped here. They didn’t really know what he wanted or what to do, so they just wandered. You had already told Braedan and Elkhoof that Grawisson died, so they knew the scaled ones had no divine protection at all.”

Dulnori frowned, Graw had always been an interesting god, it was a shame the world had lost his creativity.

“They were just so alone. They had absolutely nothing, not even any experience in the world. The kings were moved to tears, and decided to adopt all of them as part of the Horizon Tribe. They called them the Ceros and the Dramos. After that everything fell into place. All of them could do magic, so as tradition states they all deserved a shaman education. They moved to the Evergrown Lands and Braedan taught them himself. The Ceros learned pretty quickly to build wooden hands, letting them interact with the world just as well as anyone else. At first the Dramos fought their bloodlust by taking it out on wild game, but then Petr’s dreams flowed into Rokanon and we learned aquamancy could cure it, starting that tradition. As the population grew the Ceros and Dramos had to move west to cultivate more land. Eventually we reached the Sunset Coast and the Dramos learned to manage the waters, relieving the pressure of feeding them from the Evergrown lands. That’s basically how it happened,” Celia sat back down feeling very pleased with herself. It was a typical boring speech, but she felt like it had made an impact on Dulnori.

Once again the Horizon Tribe has far surpassed my expectations. What you’ve constructed is honestly just beautiful. A system to suffice the needs of three different species, all working together to contribute to the greater whole.

“Thank you Dulnori. I love the Ceros and Dramos, though I’ll be the first to admit the problems caused by them, ”

The gambler's eyes widened, “What do you mean by that? What problems could they cause?

Celia laughed a little, “Isn’t it obvious?”

Please humor me.

“They cause jealousy. Lots of humans envy the magic of the Ceros and Dramos. So much power they can’t ever replicate, it can make you feel useless sometimes. It goes both ways of course. The Ceros and Dramos need magic to function, which means they can’t ever live permanently in the Harken Steppe. Even a short trip to see the Miracle Games requires a good deal of work on their part. And it’s hard needing to use so much mana so often, it would be great if they at least had some kind of backup. You know, sometimes they’re even jealous of each other's bodies. You see it most in the winter, the Ceros and Dramos get so desperately cold, but the humans get so desperately hungry. It’s not a massive issue or anything, but I fear it may lead to greater division in our future. I wish I could help, but I can’t change biology. All I can do is make the same stupid patriotic speeches, while the people keep growing more distant.”

Dulnori suddenly stood up, “You can do far more than that Ironhide, with my help. You say people are jealous and divided because of what they don’t have, well I can simply give it to them then. I’m the maker of dreams, so all of their wishes will come true, including yours. I’ve not known you long Ironhide, but I can tell you speak sincerely about your concern. You are a fine queen. Now then, do you promise to help me as I shall help you?” Dulnori outstretched his hand.

“Yes, yes, yes. I promise to help. It’ll be great, amazing, wonderful! This is the best!” said Celia as she ignored the hand and went straight for a hug.

Are you okay?” said the gambler, surprised by the suddenness of the hug, though not displeased by it.

Celia stepped back a bit, “Yes, yes, I’m fine. It’s just that today’s gone from terrible to incredible for me, and I needed to let my emotions out. Dragons aren’t good at hugging, and the queen can’t just go around hugging people, you’re supposed to leave that for your chosen consort. They always say you can’t give anyone room to misinterpret you.”

Who’s they?

“The golden dragons,”

I’ll tell them to lighten up. I any case, I must leave you Ironside. I can feel the pull of the foreign gods on me again, I shall answer them, and then together we shall succeed, ” Dulnori started to turn around when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"One last hug before you go?"

"why not."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Boa jungle shore

Two pygmies came to the shore in the middle of the night. “Yes we did it to stick.” One of them mumbled to the other as he pulled out the claw fingers.

“Now we wait brother.”

They waited quietly on the beach, keeping watch of any one spying on them. Just then bubbles appeared on the water surface. A tentacle rose from the depths snatched the 2 claw fingers.

“Now about our pay” one of the 2 interjected.

“Jobs not gone!”

The twins yelled out “What are you talking about? We got your damn toothpicks, we demand the money NOW!”

“...They still live, kill them and we will double your pay. All or nothing!”

Both of them looked at each other. “... Okay fine!” they yelled in unison. They then slowly started changing. “...it will be fun anyway hahahahhahahahah!”

Clobe

“That should do it” Teeth proclaimed as he finished strapping the supplies onto Stopit's back. He then turned to his son. “Are you sure you want to continue on this adventure?”

Cheek hopped onto Stopit. “This is personal, it’s for a friend I knew at the Academy.”

“A warrior follows his heart…” Julian said as he patted his son on the back. “Cannot stop you all I can say is be careful.”

Cheek turned away from his dad. “If nothing else I promise I’ll be back, this is not the last time you will see my face dad.”

Teeth nodded. “I wish you luck! GLORY TO CHEEK! GLORY TO STOPIT!”

“GLORY TO CHEEK! GLORY TO STOPIT! GLORY TO CHEEK! GLORY TO STOPIT! GLORY TO CHEEK! GLORY TO STOPIT!” The crowd of Cloblins cheered as they went deeper into the tunnels. On the way to Boa jungle.

Ostrom

The King walked off his boat. His blue cap flowing in the wind, his Golden armor shining in the sun. “It’s good to be home!” he thought to himself as he walked into the city. Many terror guards surrounded the king. He stopped himself “What is the meaning of this?

One of the terrors turned to the King “King Nero, we are here to make sure that you're safe...”

The guard was suddenly pushed back and slammed into a wall, killing him instantly. “That implies IM WEEEAK! I am GREATEST SU SORCERER IN THE WORLD!” all the other terror guards looked at him in horror. “GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!” they then ran off.

----
    The palace of the Prehist!

He returned to his mighty throne. “It’s nice to see that the inferior humans or terrors haven’t touched my throne.”

“We have the fingers, Nero or should I say Narcissus” a voice whispered into his head.

Nero shook his head “AH Leviathan I see the fire monkey did his job.”

“No he was captured, but the twins succeeded.”

Nero sits from his wine bucket. “Well no big loss, so you are asking about the lower jaw now?”

“It should be easy…”

“Yes I can easily get it for you but Julian needs to fulfill his end of the bargain.”

“YOU DARE ASK FOR MORE!”

“Yes because I am the mighty King Nero and even if you somehow managed to kill me you’ll never be able to find it.”

Leviathan remained in silence. “What do you ask?”

A smile grew on Nero's face. “I want the cultists off the continent, their bodies littering the streets, this screams being like music to me. I’ve been using mercenaries to attack them but they barely made a dent. I want you to completely annihilate them”

“BUT..THEY ARE JULIAN”S ALLIES!”

Nero smiled. “I guess you won’t get the lower jaw…”

Leviathan stood in silence again. “...you will get your answer later…”
    Last edited by Godzillarich; 2020-04-10 at 09:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Timorin and Hope Thalia arrived to offer their support to the new demigod. Timorin smiled broadly and gestured to Thalia to approach Desha.

"Um... hello... Nice to meet you. I am Hope Thalia of the Twilight Archipelago... I come bearing gifts on behalf of Lord Timorin…"

Timorin coughed into his hand noticably.

"I'm sorry. Papa Timorin. I guess I'm still not... used to my new position." She holds out a set of amberis bracers. "To help you on your path of power, Lord… Papa Timorin had these forged. They are bracers that can form into any weapon you may need, but then will vanish when not in use."

"Don't forget the name."

"Ah yes… he has dubbed it the Disa-Spear."

Spoiler: Help
    Show
    Help:
    Ymon-Desha
    +2 War/+2 Drama: Timorin gives the new Demigod a gift. The Disa-Spear is a set of bracers that can turn into any weapon Desha might need. If the weapon is being used in one hand, the other bracer may become a shield if so desired.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The whirlwind and the dawn-

Valrion found themselves in a place that was strange, and yet familiar. A vast land of grass and ancient beasts. The image of the Harken Steppe in its oldest form, before Rokanon, before the tribes drove great herds across the land. The old age of hunters, the mythic age from which all things were born. Here, after 500 years, Valrion saw the worm once again.

Valrion was somewhat disoriented at the sight, unable to place any of the feelings. Still, noticing the worm, they placed their hand to their chest stating “Ah, you're the cause of me being here, aren’t you? Lord Dulnori?”

“I am the maker of dreams, and so this all in my purview. How are you Valrion, child of the sun? I see you have grown strong since I last met you. And you even have a child of your own. She’s a beautiful woman, destined to do so much. You must be very proud of her. ”

“Child, that’s… an oversimplification that I expected you to see through. But past that, Davanda… thank you. My little girl lives today because of you and others. She’s excited to travel soon, did you know? She wants to see Axia, to see the Steppes and the world at large.”

“That truly is wonderful. My invitation is open to her, she shall be received with all the proper honors. How dark that day must have been for you. Imagine that Yir would bloody his hands with parricide. I almost didn’t believe it at first”

Valrion’s gaze grew dark, looking down at their hand (strange in a dream). “Yes.. how… terrible of them. Someone like them is unforgivable, are they not? Yet, she, Davanda, I do not know how she did it. But I will not forgive.”

Dulnori lifted up his little head, as if to smile, though the worm has no mouth, “Of course you can’t. You are a parent, what parent could ever forgive something like that. Yir meant to destroy your hope, to shatter that which was most precious to you. I can’t forgive the destruction of dreams. They shall flow eternal, as they must. Well Valrion, what will you do next? Can you live the way you have any longer?”

Valrion, clenching their fist stated in frustration “No, I cannot, but what am I to do? Light is always there, Will Above tells my soul it’s commands. What hope do I have to break free? I am a chained being, the tool of Above, that can do naught but make things as right as I can. I have so few moments where I am me, even if it’s all I want to be.”

As Valrion’s hand came around it the worm was crushed into sand, which flowed out like water. It fell onto the soil, and grew until it formed Dulnori’s most primitive shape, the man of sand. “You have so much Valrion. You have the hope of the whole world, and you have your axe. I am a smith Valrion, master of the metals that gleam. I invented bronze, and gave it to my people so they could face down anything. I placed gold and jewels in the earth of sanctuary so they might never run out of wealth. I blessed the masks of Timorin so they can see all the riches that hide in the depths. I can give you the means to free yourself, to free all the giants, if you will only strike a deal with me. Right here, like I once did. Bind yourself by choice, rather than force. Are you willing to hear the terms?”

Valroin cautiously moved their hand to their side, looking at the sand-man for a moment with a glare that looked persecuting, but after a moment it faded as tears welled up and they rubbed their face. “Yes, I… I will hear you out at least.”

“What I want, is peace. Promise me that the imperial lands will never attack the sister tribes. Swear peace eternal. And in exchange, whenever you wish it, I will lend you my power. I will take your axe, and place it in my own forge. With that, you will be able to cut through anything, even the sun itself. You will be able to take your rightful place in this world. I will also swear to protect Davanda. If she’s ever exiled from her home, she will find safety with the Horizon.” Dulnori reached out his hand, “And remember, my word is gold.”

Valrion stared at the hand for a moment, in a mix of disbelief and caution. Not taking it yet they said “I can swear to that, though perhaps if Yir lives past this Age you should look into the heart of your people. Light Above intends to use peace to their advantage. But I understand your meaning nonetheless and tell you this so that I do not trick you with words.” Taking the hand and with a fierce expression in their eyes. “I swear peace onto you Dulnori, and peace onto the world. And, if it’s truly in my power, the end of Yir before this Age’s end.”

Dulnori smiled, “You are far stronger than you realize Valrion, and fate is now decided. The timeline of the world converges onto this. Yir is doomed, it is guaranteed. Anything else? Food, jewels, a game? Maybe a hug?”

Valrion smiled back giving a bit of a nervous laugh “Hehah, no I do not think I need anything else but these words on an impossible freedom. I’m unsure of my abilities in this still, but I will do as I promised to the best of my ability. Thank you Dulnori, may we meet in my home someday.”

The dream fades away, as the worm leaves. “Goodbye, rising star.”

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Timorin:

Timorin, at the party for his new Demigod, was annoyed at having his name invoked for such petty raven droppings. "I shall help you again because you have lent your power to me and mine but remember, you still have a debt to pay for the asylum you have been granted."

Show
    Help:
    +2 War/+2 Twilight Archipelago
    Julian, should he fall in battle, shall reappear in the spot in which he asked for his immortality
    -2 Fear
    Julian's fear of the gods and what they represent will haunt him, making him constantly paranoid of invoking their wrath

9. - Top - End - #309
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

The Hope Of Timorin
    Su'ule, ever mindful of the potential for new allies and friends, decides to help Timorin out. You can attract a lot more flies with honey than you can sand paper.

Spoiler
    Show

+ 2 Sorcery : people who know sorcery in The Hope of Timorin will find it easier to cast spells from Su Sorcery, or teach them.
    + 2 Monsters : The Hope Of Timorin can innately change shape into another species, as long as it's humanoid.
    + 1 Birth : It's never hard for a Hope of Timorin to have children or impregnate the opposite sex.
    + 1 Metamorphosis : The Hope of Timorin can also change shape into animal species.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Su'ule And Yir

The premonitions were dark, the stars out of alignment in ways that forebode evil. The world was about to experience great loss, and from what Su'ule could gather it all centered around Yir. Moving with urgency towards the mountains of Stonethroe, the goddess stood at the peak of one of the mountains.

"Yir. . . Yir!" Su'ule shouted to the heavens as she stretched her cobra hooded head towards the shining sky. With the power of her magic shielding her eyes, she could see straight at the deity. "Yir! We must speak! This is a great matter of the utmost urgency!"

Yir, irritable while contemplating on the matters ahead, looked down upon the godling. "Oh? Beast Below wishes to speak with me? Are you here to gloat over your taking of my children into your own care? "

"The stars are out of alignment!
    The stars are out of alignment, and in the All-God's Constellation, your star is mysteriously absent!'
    I have received a vague divination from this, as I stared at the stars.
    There are two divinations I received from this. . .
    This will be the beginning of a New Dawn!
    Or worse, "This will be the beginning of The Long Night!
    You are in danger of a great threat!"

Yir, more confused at what appeared to be a random jumble of words than anything else said. "What nonsense is this? DO NOT WASTE MY TIME! If this is all you have to say, BEGONE!"

"Yir, your life, and perhaps the lives of the entire Oerth is in danger!"

Yir with mocking tone in their voice spat down "ME? You think MY life, that of the most mighty and only true god of this world, can be ENDED?! You are insane! I will not tolerate such lies!"

"Yir. You insufferable goat! I tolerated your attempted murder of Davanda, because you have been of benign help to my people! But this isn't just your life that is in grave danger. It's the lives of the entire Oerth! Now I shall begone. Beware the Shadow of The Long Night."

And so with a huff Su'ule left, and Yir forgot the exchange soon after.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-04-11 at 03:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Gnaw Land Fire Crater , Su’ule And Dulnori

From a voice carried on the wind, Su’ule spoke to the god, Dulnori. “Dulnori. . . what are you doing here?” She asked.

The leaf floating in the wind responded, “You are building a new nation here, I could feel that. I have come only to give my blessings.

“This would not go unappreciated. . . However, I have another matter, of great urgency to discuss with you.”

The leaf thought for a moment, “A matter of urgency, that is interesting. What could possibly worry you Su’ule?

“It is the All-Gods Constellation. The world of Yir is missing. Yours seems to be out of place as well. As I stared at the worlds and stars in the Void, I heard a disembodied voice speaking to me. “This shall be the new beginning of a new Dawn. . . Or the beginning of The Long Night.”

“Yir is in danger of death.”

Su’ule, you are a mother. What would you do if someone tried to hurt your children?

Thinking to herself for a brief moment, she answered, “I would destroy them.”

Now consider for a moment what Yir has done, and the children he has hurt. He nearly killed Devanda, his own grandchild, and if not for us she would be dead. Her light snuffed out of the world before she had a chance to shine.

“That was truly a terrible thing. However, if something could happen to Yir, WE could be next.”

No mortal can kill a god Su’ule, we all know this well. Tell me, what exactly could kill Yir?

“No mortal could kill a god, but gods have been mysteriously disappearing over time. Opulon among them, and Solomo, I scarcely saw him at the beginning of our Awakening.”

Look into your heart Su’ule. Those deaths were natural, brought on only by the turgid tides of fate, the difference here is clear. Yir’s death is no accident, or calamity, it shall be justice. There is no point in hiding anything I suppose, you would realize it eventually. I need your help Su’ule, to strike down Yir and put someone else in his place. A rising star in this world, someone wronged by his hand, a grieving mother. The sun shall always rise, only by the hand of another.

“There must be a chance to make Yir see the error of his ways.”
    “Also, that still doesn’t address the deaths of those who are no longer with us.”

I don’t have all the answers Su’ule. Perhaps we may work together, to unveil the secret of these deaths at a later time. But right now, we must consider issues more pressing. Yir shall not change. You cannot deny his nature, you have felt it as well as I have. Since the very beginning of us all he has been a negative presence, a wellspring of pain and suffering. And he is arrogant to the extreme, it’s more than just ignorance. He believes in everything he does, he considers himself the only righteous individual in the whole of the world. You can try talking to him, but you won’t get anywhere.

“Count me out. Nor will I interfere. If you promise me that all those involved will give him one more chance to change, I shall consider it.”
    “However, there is a sense of self preservation that moves me to deny you a chance to destroy him.”

I would never hurt you Su’ule, you must realize that. Your life has no connection to Yir. You have always fought for your children Su’ule, Yir has enslaved and tormented his. And if you want a promise I can do that as well. I will never kill you Su’ule, and before I make my move I will give Yir the chance to appeal. You know my word is gold.

“Oh. . . I shall be there to witness this.”

Before I go I shall place my blessing on your children.

Show

+2 Ambition: The people of the Northern lands shall have a great hope for the future, and the willingness to do what they need for the sake of their goals.
    +2 Fortune: Dulnori blesses the Northern harvests to come in faster and in greater quantity, the wealth of the land given to them.
    +1 Sailing: Dulnori shall inspire designs and schematics for new boats, to make travel across the northern lands easier.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post

"Desha of the Masatil be gone. Be reborn as Ymon-Desha, Spear and Shield of the Living, chosen by Ymon-Thal."

Spoiler: Action!
    Show

Create Ymon-Desha, Demigoddess of Bodies* (+ 2) (Create a +2 domain/-2 weakness demigod, 18 AP/14 DC)
    (* I don't like the word "bodies" but I can't think of anything else that means the same. I'm very open to suggestions)

Ymon-Thal and Thal-Verys attempt to remake Desha into the demigoddess Ymon-Desha, a counterweight to balance (+ 1 Balance) Thal-Verys. She is to serve both as a guardian of the living (+ 2 Life), able to keep mortals alive through will alone (similar to using necromancy to keep someone from dying for a limited time) and a bringer of death (+ 2 Death) when there is need. Thal-Verys ties Ymon-Desha's soul (+ 2 Souls) to her own, sharing all knowledge — but not thoughts — between them.

In case anyone's curious, Desha has reached Second Threshold on the Path of Power, specialising in the use of spear and shield.
    Yir, from both worlds, saw this and knew in their heart that history was repeating itself. As they once did Yir spoke from their forms on both worlds down at the demi-goddesses. The direct gaze of Yir so close to Thal-Verys created a horrible weight of grief and depression, though Yir shielded Desha.

"Again, Ymon-Thal you design to create a mockery of mortal kind? How despicable of you, you pathetic godling who designs to speak to one's self. Even though your cruelty is well known I expected better from you nonetheless after all this time. You must know that it is purely out of your cruelty that they choose this existence, yes?" Yir sighed, or more gave a grumble between the worlds.

Then, speaking to Desha with tenderness, Yir said "Child, you need not accept this, for I offer safety for your soul. I remove the leverage of the tyrant on your soul; for by MY command, may your heart NEVER be struck down by the wicked and purposeful designs of Ymon-Thal's realm. By MY light, may you need not the strength of Ymon-Thal to continue existing, for I offer rebirth as yourself with my superior blessing. You would be the first of many I promise to save from their depraved wants and designs."

Spoiler: Hinder!
    Show
    +2 Majesty: Yir removes the penalty to memory for Desha's soul entering the Passing, she may never have her memory stuck down or erased in the Passing. If she ever dies she joins an existence similar to those Masters of the Soul without a body, except she may freely leave the Passing at any portal without hindrance and may interact with the world physically. Yir won't let Ymon-Thal threaten Desha into this. A side effect from this is that Desha cannot have her mind influenced similar to a perfectionist (ego is too big).

+2 Sun: Yir offers life to Desha again as a Shining One, that will last as long as her biological life would have without violence or disease as long as she rejects Ymon-Thal's divinity. If she continues to accept it, she retains this ability, but it only works once.

Yir - Above Axia:

Yir felt the power of the goddess's down below for a while now, solidifying her power base in a clear display of greed and pride. It was an insane creature that babbled strange words here and there to annoy others, but it's existence has proven useful, and for the time being continues to be. How come it's worship was not obliterated at the sight of proper culture is unknown to Yir, but the efforts it made now were a clear sign of the Beast's deep insecurity and fear of Yir's own glorious majesty.

For now, all that was needed was a means of keeping the mortals from falling into depravity and disorder Yir thought.

It sung it's own superior voice of magic down below, silently nudging those the Beast touched to not forget a few of the ways of Yir, they would need those lessons.

Spoiler: Aid!
    Show
    +2 Sun: Those giants and changelings of the Chosen of Su'ule do not forget their shared bond, no matter if they are from the chosen or not.

+1 Perfection: Yir instills in the Chosen of Su'ule's souls the drive for perfection, most often this'll be seen as a drive for magic but it can express itself in many ways.

+1 Symbiosis: Yir makes sure that Su'ule's people remember the importance of unity, that the larger the society the greater it is. This installs a bit of a drive to expand in them, but expresses itself peacefully for the most part.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-04-12 at 01:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Twilight Archipelago:

Hope Thalia was shown around by Timorin's Lust, who wielded the Staff of Shadows. She had the history of their people explained to her, though she knew and had lived through much of it. The details of the map and the divivices was explained to her as well as the story of the Crimson Fleet.

They toured the islands, from the Twilight Isle they went to the Isle of Eggs and the Isle of the Masquerade, which no longer fit its name. They did not visit the Asylum Isle but had it explained to her. "It's too dangerous there at the present," said Lust. Thalia accepted this but knew she would return soon.

The strangest thing that Thalia saw in her opinion was a small island, barely big enough to call an island. It had a group of large birds flying in and out from the spot to other islands. At the center of the island was what looked like a giant black anthropomorphic bird.

"What is that?" Asked Thalia.

Lust shrugs. "That's Nevra. Some human from the tainted lands who came here to 'perfect her raven training'. She is attempting to become a perfectionist in raven training. She is a bit strange but she is the best amberis maker we have."

Thalia looked at the large group of birds flying around. "I hadn't seen very many ravens yet. I didn't know we had so many or that they got so big."

Lust laughed. "We didn't have any ravens until Nevra came. She brought a batch from the Tainted Lands and has been messing around with them ever sense. They don't normally get that big but Nevra has almost exclusively been feeding them some root he has been growing around here."

Sanctuary

Timorin arrived at Sanctuary for the celebrations. That's on big pearl. Timorin greeted Nerassus and made his way to the pearl. "It is good that the pearl will announce to you when you are threatened but let it be more than that. Let it reflect the people all the time. And the little pearls, gift them to your Allies so that they may know the state of things so that they may fight at your side if the time comes."

Show

+2 War/+2 Drama: The color changing properties of the pear extend beyond the simple warning system. It is tied to the area it inhabits (so for the time being, sanctuary). It shall change color to reflect the emotions of Sanctuary. One color for when they grieve, others for when the hope. Maryring can choose the colors the point is it's a mood ring for Sanctuary. The little pearls will reflect this and even if not in sanctuary will alert the owner to any threats to Sanctuary the moment the big pearl recognizes it.
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-04-13 at 04:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Boa Jungle was the quietest it'd been in years. There was no conflict at the borders. No excavations in the Chernway. All the most important and influential among the three biggest Boa inhabitants - the Starfolk, the Yith, and the Choblins - were all gathered in the atrium of the Starry Crypt. The Pact of Boa negotiations were underway. In the Starry Crypt all were welcomed but one stood out. Aa big person

“Seems like everyone’s having a party?” Stopit proclaimed to his little friend riding on his back.

“Not a party we really want to be involved in…” Cheek whispered to his friend. “...bad people around here.”

Stopit stopped as he looked up to his friend. “Look I understand you have a history but this is not a place to continue conflict… This is a place to revel in peace.”

Cheek remained quiet as he looked out towards the crowds. “We are not here to party, we are here to find some thieves. Keep your eyes open.”

"Okay settle down everyone, let's get this over with."

Chern rose to his feet at the end of a long wooden conference table, the two swords protruding from his chest like emblems of rank. A collection of bound sheets of parchment and stone tablets were lying in front of him, along with a pair of priceless amberis-rimmed glasses. The god slipped the glasses on over his mask, and held up the first piece of paper for inspection.

"Let's see here, the agenda... Aha, frst order of the day. Ahem, 'item one: the assembled representatives offer a prayer to Chern and/or other patron god/goddess to give thanks for-' yeah yeah yeah alright, who put this here?"

No one replied. Chern's eyes, somehow even more large and intense through the glasses, scanned twice across the table before returning to the parchment.
    "Well I overrule, anyone trying to waste our time with prayer will be hit with an injunction. Moving on... 'Item two: foreword from the general secretary'. Who's the general secretary? Is it me? I have no foreword. 'Item three: having had a total of nine working days to review the Pact of Boa documentation, the assembled representatives are now invited to voice concerns about the Pact's contents, including requests for clarification, corrections to erroneous assertions, or motions for revision of the Pact terms. Proceedings shall be kept orderly, a minimum of five minutes uninterrupted speaking time allotted per person. Those who violate the code of conduct attached in the Pact documentation shall be named, and three namings shall result in an injunction and/or smiting'. Are we all clear on that? Are there any concerns about the terms of item three of the Pact of Boa negotiations agenda?"

Once again, no one spoke.

"Good." Chern breathed a sigh of relief. "In that case, let us commence. Does anyone have concerns with the documentation of the Pact of Boa?"

Every single person at the conference table raised their hand.

"Oh dear..."

He pointed at the head Starfolk, in an attempt to mitigate bias in his selection process based on stature.

"You, High Astrologer, what is your concern?"

"If you'd please, my god Chern, I'd like to draw your attention to article B27-6..." Rustling and thudding filled the room as the assembled representatives sorted through their documentation. "...it states here, 'and the choblins shall feed upon the glowloam, as the men and the pygmies feedeth upon the pig and the cocoa bean, for their's is the gut that the glowloam doth nourish'."

"That is what the article says. What's your concern?"

"My concern?" The pygmy stood, his chest swelling with indignation. "My concern is that it's heresy! That's my concern!"

The conference table erupted with shouting and pointed fingers.
    "You cannot partake of the glowloam, for the glowloam partaketh of the dead, and the dead are sacred!"

"Glowloam makes up forty percent of Chobe's economy, and a hundred percent for many smaller settlements along the Chernway!" a tailless choblin called out above the rest. "Many choblins would-"

"Where's my five minutes speaking time?" the High Astrologer shouted back. "I was promised fiiiive minutes to air my concerns! I demand restitution! Smite this beast!"

"Injunction." Chern pointed at the flabbergasted choblin. "But you, High Astrologer, shall also receive an injunction due to your violation of the rules on racial slurs. No one here is a 'beast'."

"B-but my god-"

"Ah ah ah, too late. Now go on, let's hear it. You have four more minutes."

“HEY! Mr. smelly God.” Someone screamed in the distance. It was Stopit jumping up and down trying to get the god’s attention which wasn’t very hard considering he towered over everyone else there except for a few Boa Terrors in the audience. “I’ve got an important question for my friend.”

“Stop it, stop it, seriously stop it.” Cheek whispered to his friend.

Stopit turned to his friend. “Yes I know that’s my name, I’m trying to help you so sit back.”

"Injunction," Chern droned, brandishing his documents at Stopit, "you have been named. Continue, High Astrologer."

Stopit then ran up inches towards Chern’s face. “But it’s really important to help maintain the peace, I speak my mind a smelly one?” Cheek meanwhile was desperately trying to pull his friend back to no avail.

The audience was truly stunned. “This outside of dare not only interrupted me but dared to talk to Chern with such disrespect. HE MUST BE PUNISHED!” High Astrologer yelled.

"Hmm..." Chern gave the ceratopsian a strange look, then scribbled something on his parchment. "You have now been named twice. If you break protocol once more, you'll be removed from the negotiations. Please sit down and wait your turn."

Stopit looked at him for a seconds. “So anyway about this peace plan...”

“AHHHHH, I’ll wait outside then.” Stopit yelled as he was thrown out the nearest tunnel.

Cheek shook his head and sat back down.
    ___

Stopit laid outside the area, patiently waiting for his friend. “Pssssss, hey buddy…” a voice called out.

“What?”

“Over here 3 horn” Standing in the shadow of the trees was a Boa terror with its massive claws.

Stopit got up “Hi”

“You want some good grass?” the terror asked as he made a follow me jester.

Stopit smiled. “Okay non-suspicious person.” Stopit followed the strange figure into the woods.
    ___

The issue of heretical glowloam consumption was eventually resolved. Being told directly by one's god that he did not consider an action heretical was, after all, difficult to refute. It didn't stop the High Astrologer from trying.

Twenty minutes later, the table was open once again for concerns.

"Alright, you there," Chern indicated Cheek, "what is your concern with the Pact of Boa documentation?"

“I…” Cheek do not appreciate that Stopit put him on the spot. “Do you expect us to forget what happened?” Cheek blatantly said to the god. “You think just come in here tell to just get over the bloodshed…” tears then started flowing from the dinosaurs. “... I lost my mother in this conflict, I'm just supposed to forget about her and shake hands with their murderers?” he stepped forward. “... Because it isn’t going to bring back my mother.”

Chern removed his glasses and rubbed his tired eyes.

"To which article of the documentation are you specifically referring?" he asked patiently.

Cheek simply looked at him and then turned away and walked out the door.

The room remained silent until someone spoke out. “His right!” a random Cloblin yelled. “These barbarians have murdered too many of us to just walk away.”

“Who are you calling a barbarian, turkey,” a starfolk yelled, “you killed a number of people too, you think you can just walk away from this.”

“Well I can keep killing you if you want, monkey.” Another Cloblin yelled.

Chern grabbed on of the swords buried in his chest, and twisted it. Thick ichor squirted across the table, spattering wood, parchment, and representative alike. The shock of the sudden discharge silenced the mortals, much like a spray of water might cow a dog.

"Look at my wounds." Chern ran a limp hand down his bloodied skin. "Both pygmy and Choblin ran me through in your blind hate for each other. You are all guilty. You have all committed evil, justifying your atrocities with fallacious appeals to my divine favour. I favour none of you. And if you do not set aside your differences and work out this rotting Pact, then you are all forsaken."

Chern fell back into his chair, and shuffled his papers. Half the room couldn't take their eyes off him, while the other half couldn't bring themselves to meet his eye.

"Now, onto the next concern... How about we hear from the Yith representatives this time?"

___

Cheek walked outside rubbing his face, desperately trying to hide his tears. “Stopit let’s get…” Cheek then noticed his friend was nowhere to be seen. “Where did he go off to now? I don’t need this now.”

He then noticed footsteps that led into the jungle. “... Why did he go into the jungle?” Cheek then heard faint smashing sounds coming from the jungle. “STOPIT!” he yelled as he pulled out his daggers. “... I’m coming.”
    ______

Stopit slammed into a tree. “For an idiot you sure know how to take a beating. Plus you managed to beat our fire mage employer.”

Stopit attempted to get up before the terror slammed its foot onto Stopit. “Who are you.”

The terror smacked. “I am Ying of the changeling twins. A.k.a. The best assassins in the world and it’s our job to kill you.”

“Why.” Stopit mumbled as he attempted to get up.

“Why?” Ying smiled as she lifted up her hand ready to stab his throat. “For money and because it’s fun.” Just then an arrow slammed into Ying shoulder. “AHHHHH!” she screamed as she got off of Stopit. “Who did that!?”

Cheek emerged from the forest, a bow in hand. “I have to thank you, I am having a bad day and I need a punching bag.”

Ying looked at Cheek in anger. “Both of you managed to get kicked out? Well that is annoying.”

Cheek raised an eyebrow at that. “What are you talking about?”

“OH NO!” Stopit yelled as he got back up. “She must’ve been planning for us to stay there, people may be in danger in that place.”

Ying Whacked Stopit back to the ground. “I’ll deal with you in 2nd.” She then ran at Cheek. She grabbed him in between her Claws and slammed him into the nearest tree. “So one of Julian’s right-hand men had trouble dealing with you? That’s quite pathetic. “She then raised up her other claw. “I won’t be as slop..AHHH!” she yelled as a sharp pain came from her back. It was Stopit, his horn penetrating her heart. She let go of Cheek and fell to the ground. Her body slowly began to change. Becoming her original changeling form.

Stopit looks soberly at the body. “Didn’t have to come to this…”

Cheek got up and turned back towards the direction of the meeting. “She was implying a trap was set up at the meeting area right? We need to get there NOW!”
    ___

Cheek kick down the door of the meeting area. "You're all in danger, evacuate now!"

"Is this what you're talking about?" he asked, dropping the device on the table.

"Is that a bomb?" the High Astrologer asked, goggling at the device.

"It is. I have defused it, however. Nothing happens in the Starry Crypt without my knowledge."

“Oh, okay then.” Cheek mumbled as he awkwardly looked around. “Um ok…”

Cheek then noticed a Choblin raising their hands. “This is for my sister you Mother****ers!” he threw an energy blast straight at the bomb.

The blast withered into nothing just before meeting its mark. Chern stared at the choblin, eyes so wide and inhumanly circular behind his mask that their glow seemed to strike like light rays upon him.

"Now that," he said with flat, cold anger, "is going to warrant a little more than an injunction.

“Stop it great Chern.” Cheek interrupted, “I need to ask this guy some questions.” Cheek turned towards the changeling. “Where exactly are the bones you stole?”

"You may do so, we owe you for your intervention."

Rotting arms burst from the walls and floor, seizing the bomber choblin and restraining him in his chair.

The assassin whose name was Yang smirked. “Too late, already with my employer…” he then leaned towards Cheek. “... But I don’t care about that…” his tail morphed into a scorpion's tail and attempted to stab Cheek in the throat. “... All I care about now is just KILLING YOU!”

Bare inches before the tail reached his face, another arm shot out and grabbed it. Immediately a swarm of limbs began engulfing what was obviously in fact a changeling, covering its mouth, its eyes, every piece of exposed skin until it'd been dragged from its chain in a ball of earthy flesh, and pinned squirming against the dirt floor. Surrounding representatives leapt to their feet, retreating. Chern approached slowly, the defused bomb held lightly at his side.

Cheek stared in disbelief. “I’ve noticed that I’m a very lucky and very unlucky Cholbin…” He then turned towards Chern “so what now?”

"Did you still want to talk to it?" There were muffled screams as the changeling was dragged into the ground, buried alive under dogpiling limbs. "I'll transport him to the chamber below this one. There he'll continue to be restrained until after the negotiations. You may speak with him there."

Chern nodded respectfully to Cheek and began to return to his chair.

"You've honoured me well with your service this day. Everyone in this room should aspire to the same standards of selflessness and community. As for this," the bomb disintegrated in his hand, "let this be a reminder that there are greater threats to your way of life than your immediate neighbours. United you stand, divided you shall fall. Let us never forget that."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary: Nerassus's home

A small cabin far away from everyone else, sequestered among the northern forests of Sanctuary. Far away from any of the normal walkways. Usually only visited by wild animals and birds. Usually.

Nerassus is so deeply engrossed in the missives he's writing that he doesn't notice his visitor until he suddenly feels a heavy weight slam into his back. He gasps softly and turns around, seeing a cheeky, warm smile upon the freckled face of a young neanderthal girl. "Hiya Grandpa!" Thera'rassus grins happily as she tightens her grip around the demigod in a warm hug.

"Thera?!" Nerassus smiles as he shifts the girl to his front, hugging her with one arm. "What are you doing all the way out here? Does your mother know?"

"Uh huh." The girl smiles happily. "I brought you gifts. Mom says you're working so hard, so we made you some treats."

"Aww, thank you." The demigod gives the young girl a warm squeeze as he steps up and out of his study. His gaze shifts about the living room. A modest house, only remarkable in how the furniture is mostly sized up for Nerassus's body. He finds a basket put down on a chair, though looking closer the basket has tumbled over sideways, and following the trail of crumbs his gaze shifts to one corner of the room, where ChiChi the 7th is lying on his bed, with his back clearly on display to the rest of the room. Nerassus chuckles softly as Thera lets out a soft whine.

"Oh no. Your treats are all gone!"

"Yes." Nerassus smiles as he drops the girl down. "Next time, if you want to keep your food safe, don't put it in nose height of ChiChi." Nerassus grins and walks over to the painted dog, pulling him in close to ruffle the canine's belly. "You cheeky little glutton!"

The canine rolls over, his muzzle smeared with crumbs and stains of sauce. 'How friend know ChiChi eat?'

"Wasn't hard to find out." He wipes some crumbs from the canine's muzzle. "You shouldn't eat so much. You'll get fat."

"Grandpa?" Thera steps up besides the demigod, sniffling softly. "I'm sorry. I didn't know. I."

"It's okay dearheart. You did your best, and ChiChi loved the food I'm sure."

"But I made you a bun that looked like you. A little. And you didn't get to see it."

"No." Nera grabs Thera and holds her aloft on one hand, making the young girl scream in terrified delight. "But I got you! And you're way better than a silly bun. Tastier too. Omnomnom." He grins, playfully nipping after her feet, while the young girl giggles and tries to keep her feet away. ChiChi blinks and stands up, bouncing around Nerassus to join in on the game.

"Grandpa! You're silly!" Thera chuckles as the game finally winds down. Her breath heavy and a little ragged from all the squirming she's done. "What's you been doing anyway? Mom says you and Lady Petra are working on something big. Something with that weird pearl in the Moon lake?"

"Yeah." Nerassus settles down on the ground and pulls ChiChi up into his lap. One hand kneads and ruffles on the painted dog's neck. The other holds Thera close to his chest. "Right now, mom is doing a lot of observations on it. She really wants it to work, and it probably will. Assuming none of the other gods interfere."

"Why would they do that?" Thera frowns, her head tilted sideways. "I mean, mom says the gods only want what's best for us mortals. And, I mean, this is something Lady Petra did. So it has to be good for us yeah? Why would they want to stop that?"

"Oh Thera. You have such a beautifully kind soul. I hope you never lose it when you grow up. Truth is. All the gods have different ideas of what is good. Not all gods agree with Momma. And that's really why I'm here. To try and convince them of mother's intentions."

"I see." Thera says, blinking curiously before reaching out to start petting over ChiChi's head.

'Scritch ear! ChiChi's ear need scritch!'

"Actually, maybe you could help a little." Nera guides Thera's hands to make her itch ChiChi with one hand. The other makes a gesture towards the study, flinging out several scrolls of parchment which hover before Nerassus. "What I've got here is the tentative drafts I'm considering giving to the other gods. Why not read them with me and tell me what you think?"

"Sure!" Thera grins happily as one of the scrolls sink down to hover before her.

Spoiler: To Ymon-Thal
    Show
    Greetings, lords of life and death.

The ripple through reality you felt from Sanctuary has been made manifest in a sacred pearl of spiritual energy. When you come visit, you will find the pearl a shelter for souls lost during an attack upon Sanctuary while the gods slept. This is not the pearl's primary function. It's primary function is a wellspring of spiritual energy, and an earthbound reflection of the moon. Mother has said that, in their current state, unleashing the souls upon the passing would be a danger. She has not shared her ultimate plan for the pearl, but I ask that, even if you are apprehensive towards the pearl and it's function, that you trust her and her wisdom.

Nerassus

"Uh..." Thera tilts her head curiously. "I'm sorry. But I didn't understand half the words in that letter. But it kinda seems like you're saying that you don't know much, but that what little you know means it's a good thing? Why are you saying all that?"

"To reflect the world is to reflect truth. I can't really ask them to trust mother's wisdom if I don't trust them with what I know. And what I don't know."

"Okay." Thera leans in against Nera, looking over the letter once more. "Well... again, I don't know much. I guess it's fine. Maybe?"

Nerassus lets out a suft, rumbling chuckle as he squeezes Thera's hand, before summoning forth another letter.

Spoiler: To Avestra
    Show
    Greetings, master of nature.

Through recent efforts, Petr has made manifest a new artifact containing their power. She has asked me to contact you and request your assistance. With the power of the artifact, my mother has many plans, and she has informed me that one of them has an important spot for you.

Nerassus

"This is even vaguer. Why would she agree to this?" Thera crosses her arms. "You're a lot more straightforward when you talk to me."

"When I talk to you, I know exactly what to say. This however... mother insists on being vague. I think she's terrified of her plan falling through."

"Ah... well I hope it'll be okay."

Spoiler: To Timorin
    Show
    Hey there Uncle.

So, we've recently made an artifact. The moon pearl. And I was thinking

"Uh... this just ends. It doesn't even say anything!"

"Hrm? Oh! Yeah. Ignore that. I was working on a response to uncle Timorin when he just... y'know, popped in and did his thing."

"Oh! I wish I'd been there to see him."

Spoiler: To Dulnori
    Show
    To the great storm of the steppe

The Island of Sanctuary needs your assistance. We are working on creating an important tool for the safe future of Sanctuary and her people, but as of right now the Pearl is still unstable, and can be disassembled by the divine. We hope you will choose to assist us in making the pearl solidify it's existence.

Nerassus.

"I like this one. It's pretty straightforward and to the point." Thera gives ChiChi a warm cuddle, earning a happy bark in return.

"Thank you. I guess that's all of them." Nerassus makes a simple gesture, sending the notes back to his room. "Well enough work for now. Let's play a game!"

"Yay! Let's play hide and seek! You seek and I hide."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

Inyoni, Xinka Village, Toran Savannah

The dark had surrounded Inyoni for as long as she could remember. Everything she learned was through touch, smell, taste and above all, sound. As a young child, she had found that clicking her tongue against the roof of her tongue and listening for the echo could provide a small insight in the world around her. She had gripped tightly onto this lifeline, slowly expanding the area she could navigate until she knew the whole village like the back of her hand. The open savannah beyond remained firmly off limits, though.

Thus, one day when Inyoni as walking down to the river to collect her daily water, she held the sound of cloven hooves and froze. A couple clicks revealed that several large shapes were approaching from the west. She took a couple of steps back, clutching her pot tight to her chest, but the hooves grew louder. She was about to take flight when, suddenly, there was a great gust of wind from above her and the herd dispersed. Inyoni turned her head up, staggering back when she was hit by another gust, nearly knocking her off her feet. She gasped as she felt her body encircled by a mass of feathers and nibbling beaks, lifting her off the ground and towards a shape so large at first she thought it must be the sun itself.

"Inyoni!" Avestra cried. "Why have your people forgotten my teachings?"

"F... f... forgive us, divine owl!" Inyoni cried, cowering beneath the force of the deity's wing beats. "The Empire has taken larger and larger shares of our produce each year. We must hunt the wildebeest in great numbers just to survive."

"Hmm. Do you know the lineage from which you hail?"

"My mother said something about her grandfather being highly regarded among the Owl shamans," Inyoni said, fiddling with the amberis ring on her finger, "but she passed away many years ago. I never heard the whole story."

"That is right. You are a descendant of the great prophet Juniper. The very last one, in fact. Not that he ever knew of the child who was carried away in the belly of his fondest companion. But his sacred blood flows in your veins, and thus it must fall to you to fulfil the task which he couldn't."

"What must I do?"

"Go to Mogwan in the Kanto Desert. From there, you will be able to reach Eaglebeak Rock and retrieve the Otherworld Amulet from the cave in which it rests. That will show you the way forward."

"But... I am blind! I've never even left this village. How will I know the way?"

"You will not be unaided. This is Kismet, a servant of mine. A long lost relative of yours, in some respects." Inyoni felt a small, rough hand press against her own. "I have instructed him to accompany and obey you for as long as you need his services. He will be your eyes for this quest. Now, go."

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    1 AP / 0 DC - influence Inyoni to retrieve the Otherworld Amulet from Eaglebeak Rock with +2 Nature. Assuming the action succeeds, I will write the fluff of how this happens in the next turn.
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2020-04-13 at 11:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Valrion, Davanda - Holy High/Sanctuary - Peace for Sunken Hearts:

Davanda has had a very strange couple of days. Yir, Light Above themselves, had come back and besides the... incident at the start had been treating her like she was a child. It was a strange shift in mood, yet it gave her hope that things can be better.

Probably the most radical change was that as she would normally do every morning she’d go to shrine on Holy High to prepare her grace for the day, but with Yir’s return instead of meditation and purification rites it’s instead been replaced with simply speaking to Yir on various matters. The grace just… came with each word Yir said, which seemed odd.

Yir was so naive, it really surprised Davanda how much needed to be explained to Yir about anything she brought up. It had almost no information on the workings of the world, and the only place it had any detailed information was not the lands of Stonethroe but instead Sanctuary, though what it did know was centuries behind modern times (it did not know about the Sanctuary Genocide, Davanda did not know how to bring that up). Yet occasionally it would pop up some tidbit of information she had no idea anyone could know, which seemed equally odd; well maybe not that odd considering Yir was a god.

One day as they walked up to the shrine they saw that Valrion was kneeling in what appeared to be prayer, yet after a moment seemed to notice Davanda and turned around.

Instantly Davanda did not like the feeling she got looking at her mother. Something about they’re demeanor seemed off. She had to ask “Mother, are you alright?”

Davanda noticed they clench their fist somewhat as they answered with a worried look. “Yes my sparkle, as alright as I can be with what Yir has informed me has occurred. The god Petr has returned.Yir has sensed that they’ve been finding souls on their island yet to be saved and binding them to their will, focusing this power above. I… I can feel it, the power used to bind broken and pained souls onto this world. I’m happy you cannot yet notice such divine power, it’s a true tragedy.”

At first Davanda did not really comprehend what Valrion said, but Valrion just looked on as the dawning horror of it crossed Davanda’s face. “They are known as a good god, they would not do so without good reason! It has to be a misunderstanding, it cannot-”

Valrion put up their hand “I agree that their intentions are most likely noble, but it is done nonetheless. A whole island full of spellcasters, many of them necromancers, and even a portal to the Passing there; yet instead of directing their mortals to save these souls from broken torment Petr has made use of their pain. I just…” Davanda noticed Valrion look down, sighed. “It does not matter. We shall help them. What is done cannot be undone, all that we can do is help to make it worth it and hope all will be well.”

“Both of us mother? What can I do?” Said Davanda. She wished to help, but this was just so big. She’d never gone past Yimor before, let alone off Axia.

Valrion came closer and held Davanda’s hand. You are so much more than me, in you lies the power to do great things. Please, I know it may seem somewhat frightening, but let us try.”

“I cannot move that far with my power mother, and I know not the way. I cannot follow where you go.”

“We’ll go there in steps, and I’ll show you the way. It will not take long, my little sparkle.”

It only took a moment for her to resolve herself, who would ignore such a call to help? "Ok mother show the way."

And so the pair moved across the lands of Axia, going into the northern lands of Su'ule and crossing the lands of ice that bridged the way to the stricken lands, going south till they reached a beach side that could barely make out Sanctuary. It took hours for Davanda, and the climate change had been more extreme than she expected, but Valrion was patient the entire way through as they guided her. Looking at the barely visible island on the horizon, and back at Davanda Valrion said. "Here we are, are you ready?"

Davanda nodded, she'd been waiting for this for a few hours now, steeling herself, but also excited to finally get to see Sanctuary.

And so in twin pillars of light the two entered Sanctuary.

When the bright light surrounding Davanda fades away once more her feet touch upon a dock. A simple, wooden structure, probably a few decades old judging from the rot of the wood and the sheets of white that is barnacles encrusted upon the wooden poles. A bit further down the dock is one of the locals. A sun-tanned pygmy with a simple fishing pole dangling his feet freely from the dock. Behind them, out at sea, are several boats with fishermen hard at work, and on the beach stand large wooden frames, about half of which are holding fishing nets.

The bright light catches the attention of the pygmy who turns towards the pair of divines. The impressive size of them both has him gasp in surprise. He scampers up on his feet, accidentally knocking a small clay bowl of bait off the docks and into the water. But he doesn't mind. He looks up at the two giants, blinking before he wipes his hands clear of fish guts on his trousers. Then he offers a small smile and a polite bow. "Oh! Divine visitors?!" He tilts his head up to meet both their faces. The smile on his face is wide enough, showing a small gap between his two front teeth. "Welcome, welcome." Unfortunately, the smile isn't entirely genuine. Behind the attempted sincerity, the boy is clearly terrified, desperately trying to think of what to say.

The pair just looked down at the little man for a bit, thinking, before looking at each other and shrinking to around normal human size. Valrion was about to say something to the pygmy when Davanda spoke up a little timidly "Hello! I'm sorry if mother and I surprised you, are you alright?"

"Oh. Yes. Yes of course I am my Lady." He looks between the two, then notices that he's still got his rod in his hands. He drops it to his side, and offers his hand out with a shy smile. "Uhm. Flor'eyera. At your service. To... to what do we owe the honour of your visit my Lady?"

Davanda herself feeling more relieved shook Flor'eyera's hand with a happy smile "I'm Davanda, this is my mother Valrion. We are here to help, right mother?" She said looking back at Valrion.

Valrion gave a nod, looking down at the pygmy with a smile and friendly aura"Yes we are, once we have found the divine object it should be easy. All we need is to be pointed in the right direction Flor'eyera, if we can trouble you so."

"Divine object?" Flor looks between the two, sucking on his teeth in thought. "Oh, you must mean the pearl that Lord Peter created! Of course. You'll find it at the Moon Pool." He briefly turns to point to the mountain straight ahead, and the volcanic caldera easily visible even from here. "It's up there. If you follow the trail west a bit, you will get to the Forest Sanctum. One of the locals there should be able to show you the path from there. Uhm, is there anything else I can assist you with?"

"I don't think so! Thank you Flor'eyera, Light bless you!" said Davanda as Valrion gave a nod of respect and began to walk off the deck towards the path leading to the Forest Sanctum, she herself catching up after giving a bit more of an awkward bow.

"And that's why, despite the pain involved in it's art, I chose to become the Fire Witch of Sanctuary." Mika gives Davanda a cheeky smile as she conjures up a shielding aura of water that wraps about her arm, before creating a small spark of fire, which fizzles and creates steam against the shelter. "No pain would of course be ideal, but... fire is such a fascinating aspect of reality. It isn't stuff like everything else, but it's... well it's something all right." She dismisses the spell and gestures towards the Pool about five hundred meters below them. "Anyway, we're here. Lady Petra has spent almost all her time here since the last Pearlescent Moon. She's occasionally asked us to gather up the pearls that the big one creates, but apparently something's wrong with them." Mika tsks softly.

"Ooo" Davanda was a bit awed at the display, her eyes wide with childish excitement that said 'I want to try!' but before she put in the attempt Valrion just looked at her with a neutral expression, which was enough to keep experimenting for later. Looking at the pool Davanda looked concerned, unsure what to do now.

Valrion raised an eyebrow, stating with some curiosity of their own "What could be wrong with them? Are they not normal pearls?"

"Well, Lady Petra would be able to tell you the details. From what I've gleaned though, she's trying to make the pearls have a certain... I don't know. A spark? Our enchanters have already started using the discarded pearls as potential magicite replacements, and when dissolved in water, they can make a healing spell extra potent. But that still is somehow... I'm not sure if it's "not enough" or "not the right thing."" The Fire Witch exhales deeply. "I'm leaning towards the latter. From what Nera has told me, his "momma" wants to use the pearls to help the victims of... that event. Somehow."

Valrion gave a nod to the Fire Witch "Noble of Petr, if somewhat mysterious considering the timescale involved. Though I suppose I come with a gift of my own with similar intent."

"Really mother?" said Davanda unsure what they were talking about.

"Of course, by Above have I been given allowance to exercise their power in one particular instance that'll serve this cause well. Though it shall be a thing I discuss with Petr alone later."

"Oh? Alone?" Mika leans in a little closer. "In that case, after you've introduced yourself Davanda you should find Nera. Last I heard, he's telling stories for the children on the other side of the Moonpool."

Davanda's eyes widened a bit "Nerassus? Really? Oh mother can I go after greeting Petr? You'll get to talk to them then."

Valrion looked amused but still rested a hand on Davanda's shoulder, "Maybe not quite so fast, I will need you here my sparkle."

After a moment a little anxious she said while looking, "What do we need to do to get their attention?"

"Oh dear, they've almost certainly been listening in from the beginning. Just as above the peaks of our home is to Above, so is this place to Petr." Valrion said, looking at the pool with a neutral expression.

"True. Lady Petra seems to have a particular attunement to the island. She knew you were here the moment you set foot on the island. So since she already knows that you're here, I should think the best way is to just... walk down and speak with Her. She will make time for you. In fact she already has." Mika offers Davanda an encouraging smile. "Be honest and straightforward. She appreciates that."

Davanda nervous gave a nod "Of course. looking towards Valrion they said "Now mother?"

"Yes dear, now is the time." Said Valrion gently, trying to reassure Davanda.

The two walked down towards the pool, Valrion ahead. As they were walking down Valrion said.

"Petr, Ocean Below, I and my daughter come in peace to offer aid in this endeavor of yours."

Petr remains with her back towards the two for a moment, their attention focused upon the pearl before them. In their hand is a smaller one. And as they approach, a soft, hissing whisper echoes in the mind of the two. "Hate. Fear. The light lies, where was it? Trust not. It won't work. It can't work. It's too weak!" Petr clenches a hand firmly shut, crushing the pearl into dust, and as they do, the whispers fade. "Valrion. You are welcome. I hope you found the welcome suitable." They turn around, focusing their gaze upon Davanda. "And you, dear child. I am glad you would come to visit. It is... good." "The light betrays it's own." "Ahem... it is good to see you under better circumstances."

Valrion nodded, stepping to the side as Davanda walk forward. At first Davanda was deeply nervous, but as she looked at the god she gained a distant look in her eyes as she squinted, almost looking into the god. She frowned.

After a few moments she said "I-I don't know what this is, is there something I can do to help you?"

Petr's eyes take on a more benevolent shine. The whispers attempt to brush up, but their murmuring is too faint to make out any words. "You are kind to offer assistance." Petr turns back to the pearl, a thoughtful frown on their face. "Right now, the pearl represents... uncertainty, and fear, to my people. When the pearl was created they saw me struggle with myself. Though they wish to trust me, it is understandably... difficult. Especially with how... apparently changed I am. For now, the pearl partially acts as an... as an anchor." The divine form momentarily loses cohesiveness, taking on a more red hue for a brief moment. "It is my/our/their." The words come out all at once, in three distinct pitches. "Desire. No. Hope. Hope is the better word. With your assistance... I would ask that you inspire the people of Sanctuary. Offer them the support that right now I cannot."

It was a strong statement given, Davanda did not know how to react, she seemed to be panicking a little. "Me? Everyone here? I-I don't think-" Davanda was saying when Valrion put a hand on her shoulder, Davanda turning around to a confident smile.

"You can, you are the true Light Below. You can do so much more here than me, than Yir Above, perhaps anyone else. I know it. You might not feel like you can, I know the feeling; however, you must know that being 'ready' is not something that you'll always have. I won't force you, no one will, but I ask again that you aid in this. Please, try."

Davanda was so uncertain, they looked back and forth between Petr and Valrion, yet finally found a bit of resolve she stated, "I'll do my best." She stepped a bit closer to the pool/pearl asking, "Is it ok for me to try now?"

"It is dearheart." Petr offers an encouraging smile. "I trust you, and I trust your intentions. And I have seen the strength within your being. I am sure... I know that you will be a boon to my dear mortal children upon the island."

Davanda looked at Petr, at the Pearl, gave a sigh and sang a simple song she'd heard before. With every word a light inside of Davanda grew more and more fiercely.

"When the light shines low
    and the pain just never go's
    with all that you knew
    seeming like fantasy

There is a light inside your soul
    it shines through past the woe
    a promise of a dawn
    where no one frowns.

As long as you hold it tight
    and you do what is right
    you'll know the truth
    their promise in our hearts."

Everything around the Pool was consumed in light as the blessing was given over the Peal.

Spoiler: Aid!
    Show
    Davanda using the power of the Light in her eases the negative aura of the Pearl, letting it become a beacon of radiant harmony, stopping mortal conflict in it's presence (temporarily). This effect is instantly broken if violence occurs. The lesser pearls it produces have a weaker version of this effect, becoming charms of peace. Under daylight, no mortal power can prevent the Pearl's power, and it becomes a noticeable feeling to those looking for it in the case of the lesser pearls. (+2 Harmony +2 Sun). As long as the people of Sanctuary never go to war for gain and seek harmony with their neighbors, the Pearl will shine as a beacon against those that would disrupt it like Varpier, letting those of Sanctuary recognize them on sight through all mortal powers (+2 Majesty, +1 Symbiosis). Finally, the power of perfection cannot help those that are deemed to hold ill-intent by the Pearl, making their Path power useless while on Sanctuary or within sight of the Pearl. (+1 Perfection)

Davanda, tired with tears in her eyes and feeling somewhat embarrassed, said "I hope that helps you Petr. I hope I helped everyone, if only a little bit."

"Thank you." Petr steps forward and wrap their arms around the demigod, giving her a gentle hug. "On behalf of the people of Sanctuary, thank you. My work is not yet done, but the pearl is more stable now. It can... it will... it should work."

Almost immediately after Petr finished Valrion themselves a bit emotional at the display said while hugging Davanda from behind "I am so proud of you Davanda, I knew you could help them far more than I ever could."

Davanda, feeling embarrassed from the attention and getting red in the face said "Mother, you had something to speak with Petr alone, yes? Can I please go and try to find Nerassus?"

Looking up from Davanda to Petr Valrion said "I suppose, if that is alright with you?"

"Certainly." Petr smiles and gestures to a small open-air structure on the other side of the lake. "You'll find him there. Just follow the beach. And if you come across people with water globes on their head, do not worry. They are training water breathing spells."

Looking at the structure for a moment Davanda looked back at Petr giving a quick nod "Thank you!" was all she was able to get out before starting to walk across the beach side. Her anxiety/excitement at meeting Nerassus being a thing she was struggling with along the way.

After Davanda was well away from Valrion, they looked back over towards Petr themselves holding a bit of discomfort. "I... I guess the first thing I wanted to say was is that I'm sorry."

Petr watches Davanda leave, and does not turn to look at Valrion as he speaks. For a moment the blood whispers get louder, angrier, before a ripple of calm passes over Petr's body, silencing the voices. "Words are worthless... but... the sentiment. It is appreciated. And you brought Davanda. Her help is genuine. It will... do good. And I am more confident. These... are things done, that I appreciate." She exhales sharply, spraying droplets of blood on the sand before turning to Valrion. "I need to make sure this doesn't happen again. To anyone... anywhere."

Valrion nodded their eyes more dower, but with a faint comforting smile still there they said "Sadly words are the only things I hold most days. I can do little myself to aid in these efforts, all that I could do is ask Above for power. Power which I was somewhat surprised I received. I know it's maybe a hollow gesture, considering what I have said to you in the past, but I hope it helps." Extending their hand out a bit a pillar of light from above landed in Valrion's hand, coalescing into a sphere. It was a divine level amount of magic dedicated to Astrology.

"With this, no one could hide. With it, Varpier can be found with but a word and a day." Valrion said while extending it to Petr, their own expression neutral.

Petr reaches their hand out, almost but not quite touching the sphere. She withdraws her hand, as if burned. "And then..." "Kill him. Bleed him. Drain him. Suffer, suffer, SUFFER SUFFER! I!" She shakes her head, hands clutching. "No. I... thank you Valrion. This is a gift. It is a gift. It may be a temptation, but it is a gift. I... Haaa. I am a god. I shelter and guide the mortals below. And yet, I have to ask you... Valrion, I have to ask you a question. I am too affected. Nerassus is too affected. And Yir is not affected enough. But you. I gave you the gift of lifeblood, so that you could live... and in some regards, so that you could suffer as a mortal. And this... this is why I ask. I could take this gift. Spend it. Seek out Varpier. I will find him. But then. What. Should I reach my hand out, wrap it about his soul, quench his life? Snuff him out as easily... even easier than he did my people? I hear them every waking moment. They cry out for vengeance... what should I give them? You, who have felt mortal suffering as I cannot, what do you think?"

It was clear looking at Valrion that the question tore at them immediately, their free hand shook as they placed it on their face. "I... in a way, understand all to well the voice inside. The constant drive towards things that, in the end, we know to be not right." Tears were coming down their face. "If I can end it I will, even if I become a monster. Because I want to be me. But if I, uh, we do what we must to have it end, who are we?" Valrion faced their head in a direction that was away from Petr's avatar, still holding out the orb, now a thing Valrion did not seem keen on holding.

"I believe I can give you no proper advise Petr, for I am far to involved in my own too similar troubles. I'm so sorry."

Petr looks at Valrion, before they nod their head slowly. "I think I understand. And I apologize for dumping this all on you. You know, once upon a time, long ago, before you... the you that is Valrion, came to be, there was a mortal woman. Sigrid. I chose her and her family to safeguard the entrance to Sanctuary. Back then, she asked me a question I could never answer to my own satisfaction. "I understand that I should be careful about who to let into Sanctuary. But... will it be enough to keep the place safe? I and my kin will have no way to determine who is born on the island. And we have no idea what they will do. I guess my question is... why is it okay for me to deny people entrance, when I can't control who is born on the island." Petr looks at the small humanoid construct of water in her palm. "I never could give her a satisfying answer. But then I overheard my son answer a mortal who asked him how he can know what is just. And his answer was as infuriatingly vague as it was perfectly honest. We, gods and demigods, live forever. We were here before the first soul sparked. Ask me anything about the domain of water, and I will answer with perfect accuracy and clarity. And yet, I do not know all. Indeed, none of us know all there is to know. And that was the crux of Nerassus's belief. It's what I've clung to. We can't know that what we do is correct. The only thing we can do is be honest. To do what we honestly think is right, and to acknowledge that, at the end of the day, we know that whatever happens, we did our best to make things as good as possible.

Petr looks out at the pearl, arms folded behind her back. "So for now... that is what I will do. Trust that what I am doing is the right thing, and knowing that it may not be, and so be open to change."

Valrion raised their head back towards Petr, they looked tired, the orb still there. "I.... That is wise of you, Petr; but better, it feels good. I wish to choose to be like that someday."

Nerassus is lying flat on the floor of the open air tent, with one arm wrapped tightly around three young pygmies, who are nestling on his chest, and the other arm draws illusionary pictures in the air. Around him are several more kids. Two more pygmies, three humans, and six neanderthals. There's also a painted dog among the group, working as a head rest for one of the neanderthals. "But the clever princess did not despair. Indeed. The evil transmuter spoke true. Whatever she threw at him, it bounced off his impregnable skin."

"What does impregnable mean?"

"In this case it means impossible to break through. Anyway... yeah. impregnable skin. She tried arrows, icicles, even her spear. But nothing worked. His mana was too great, and his skill in transmutation too much. Do you know what she did?" Nerassus offers a warm smile to the children who all uhm and uhh loudly. Before any of them can answer though, the painted dog turns to look towards Davanda, and begins to yip in excitement.

"Chi! Chi! Ruff!" He bounces up on his feet and bounds towards Davanda, yipping all the while with a friendly goofy smile.

"Oh man. ChiChi!" Nerassus jumps up, chasing after the excited canine.

Davanda walking in at the scene could tell that she had found the right man, he was taller than she normally was! He seemed nicer than she had imagined, the way he read to the kids was incredibly sweet. However as the excited dog ran towards Davanda she froze up a little stating "Oh I'm sorry, I can come back later! I-I don't mean to interrupt you."

Nerassus calmly puts the kids down before hurrying up to Davanda. ChiChi is happily bouncing about around Davanda's feet. Barking and yipping before rushing back to Nerassus, leaping in between his legs. "Yip. Chi! Arf!"

"ChiChi!" Nerassus growls sternly and places a firm hand on the dog's shoulder, forcing the canine to calm down a little, though from how it tugs and brushes against Nerassus's strong hands it clearly wants to return to Davanda. "I'm so sorry miss... Davanda?!" A warm smile spreads on his face. "Oh it is you isn't it. I didn't know you came to visit. Please excuse ChiChi. He must have smelled your giant blood and gotten excited. The guy has never met a giant before. I hope he didn't scare you."

Davanda was struck by Nerassus saying her name. Looking up at him with wide eyes she said "You know who I am?"

"Indeed. ChiChi. No. No. Calm. Okay?" Nerassus tentatively relaxes his grip, but tightens it just as the dog attempts to spring forward again. "ChiChi. Calm. Or no dinner." This elicits a whine from the wild dog, but he lowers himself down, sighing loudly. "Better... and yeah. I know about you. I..." His voice clams up for a moment before he sighs softly. "I saw you when... when you first met Poppa. Yir." He nibbles his lips. "Oh, but how I know you isn't important I should say. What's important is that you're here!"

Davanda reached out towards the dog, letting it smell her hand before trying to pet it. Trying to give a big smile Davanda said to ChiChi "It's alright, see?" Looking at Nerassus and the kids she said "Thank you. What story are you telling?"

"Oh. It's an old tale. It came with visitors to the island about two hundred years ago. It's a story about how a wicked transmuter lord was bleeding his people dry, and using them to fuel his ambitions. But the Princess, who was spirited away from the town when she was a child and delivered to a kindly couple of fishers, returns after learning Aquamancy and uses her wits and guile to subdue the wicked lord and free her people. It's probably heavily embellished, but it helps inspire the kids to want to be heroes at least." Nerassus offers a warm smile. "But please. Come. We can take a break from story telling and eat some treats instead."

"Arf?!"

"Yes ChiChi. You'll get treats too. But please Davanda. Come join us. You've travelled far to get here. The least I can do is be a good host."

"Sweets?" Intrigued and honestly wishing to have some sweets after this long day she responded with. "That sounds great! Thank you Nerassus." The anxious face that she had seemed to have melted away, she was more excited now.

Nerassus smiles warmly and guides Davanda back to the tent. He only needs to mention the word "sweets" before the kids all cheer and jump up in delight. Nerassus has to guide all of them to a table. On the centre is a large bowl made of carved palm wood, and the large demigod uses a scoop to fill several smaller bowls with a salad made out of local fruits. Mango, pineapple, lietchi, starfruit and more. He even fills a bowl for ChiChi, though before serving that he makes a pass over the bowl with his hand, transforming the contents into a peculiar, brownish mass that smells faintly of mushrooms and meat. "Now then." Nerassus passes a bowl to Devanda. "May I ask why you came to visit?"

Taking the bowl in hand and carefully eating one at a time while speaking, Davanda became a little more tense again as she unintentionally just went into her whole day. "Mother asked me this morning to come with her help with the Pearl. We traveled so far from home! We went through the ice bridge to the north from Axia, then went south to here. I saw so many new places, but we could not stay in any of them for long. We saw the Fire Witch, she helped us find our way, and when we got here I saw that the pearl, they," Davanda was struggling to find the right words, looking into her bowl picking at a bit of fruit before saying "She seemed so sad, so mad on the inside. I did my best to help, I hope it helps. Mother had a few things to say to Petr alone, and so I was pointed towards your direction."

"Mika? Sounds like you were in good hands. She can be a bit of a chattermouth. Maybe a bit too forceful for most people's liking, but I find it refreshing to spend time around her." Nerassus plops a piece of fruit into his mouth. "And yeah. Momma is in quite a state. I'm working with her these days. I've barely had time to do my duties at the University, since she wants me to stay near the Moon Pool as much as possible. Occasionally she gives me pearls, asking me to swallow them. But apparently they're not working right yet. Thank you for giving her a hand. It's much appreciated."

Davanda smiled though she felt a little worried at the pearl eating "It was the least I could do, I had to do something. I was honesty expecting things to be worse here with what mother said, and I didn't think that Yir would be right about how pretty it is here. It's a nice snowy land back home, but here it's full of so many colors and really warm."

"Yeah. Mother has woven a weather shield over the island that has been here since before mortals settled the island. It keeps the place temperate no matter where in the world the island drifts too. Which can make for quite the surprise if we're floating near the poles and our fishermen drift outside the barrier to find that their clothing aren't anywhere near warm enough for the weather. I've visited the Stonesthroe myself a few times and."

"Grandpa. Grandpa!" One of the mortals, a young girl, steps up to Nerassus, hugging on his legs. "Is there any more?"

"Sorry dearheart." Nerassus reaches down to scoop up the girl, putting her on his lap. "We'll make some more later tonight. Anyway, I've been to the stonesthroe. The snowclad mountains can be really beautiful if you're dressed for the weather."

"Oh, and who are you little deary?" Said Davanda to the little girl with a smile before realizing something. "Nerassus, your a grandfather? Yir never told me!"

"Thera'rassus!" The girl grins proudly, counting on her fingers before displaying seven of them. "I'm seven pearlmoons old!"

"Ah. That fault is mine, as with everything that happened I haven't had a chance to even mention my family to Yir. First there was the attack on University, and then during the last Pearlescent moon when mother appeared she was clearly not in a state to talk about my family. But yeah. I took dear Thera's grandmother as a companion. She was the Archdruid in her time. We bonded when I assisted her in delivering some of our local animals out of Sanctuary, as the island had gotten too small, meaning the two prides kept constantly fighting one another. Together we had a few children, including Nani'rassus. The current Master of Astrology. And Thera here is her daughter."

"Having a child come so far is quite the accomplishment, I'm sure Yir would love to hear from you about your family. They talk about you quite often." said Davanda thinking positively on the matter.

Though after a few moments she looked uncomfortable, drew out a scroll case from her robes, staring down at it. After a moment she decided to ask. "Um, Nerassus, I had been working on a project with father in Theshana, but he's left" Davanda genuinely looked a little more sad "I had a few things I wanted to show him and ask about; can you look over them for me instead?"

"Of course." Nerassus shifts Thera so he can lean forward without squishing her. He makes a brief gesture towards the table, clearing space for Davanda to unfurl her scroll.

Davanda nodded, reaching for the first scroll and unfurling it onto the desk for Nerassus to see. Davanda for her part was embarrassed to show her work to Nerassus the greatest sorcerer besides Su'ule herself, what would he think of her? Wasting her time on something like this? "I know it might not fit with the normal schools of magic, but the energy at Theshana has allowed for research into this. Me and father just thought if we could study it enough it might just work."

Nerassus looks down at the paper, frowning thoughtfully as he looks it over. "Hrm. Interesting... energy at Theshana? That's a rather large town on the continent of Axia if I recall correctly. Momma used to have a healing spring there. Not really relevant to anything here though. But the theory... hrm yeah. The normal schools are essentially helps and guidelines from the divine. When Su'ule first let out the scream, many gods attempted to silence her. In so doing, they created a... well, a barrier of sorts that keep us from tapping into the true power of the scream. So to do this... yeah. The theory is sound. But you have to kinda "cheat" a little." Nerassus taps his chin thoughtfully. "Exactly how, I can't tell. But this is... a very good start. I would like to come visit someday. Bring some research materials from University and run some experiments. I think this could work."

Davanda was so relived and excited "Oh thank you Nerassus! It would be so nice of you to join us in Theshana for this. When father returns I'll tell him wh-"

"Davanda?" came the voice of Valrion quite a ways outside, looking for Davanda. "Are you here? We need to leave now if we are to return back home in time. As it stands we'll probably have to rest somewhere in Tumeria while Above reaches home."

"Mother, I'm coming!" Said Davanda trying to carefully yet quickly put her scroll back into the case with the others. Looking at Nerassus she gave a bit of a sheepish smile "I'm sorry, but I need mother to show me the way back home, and mother probably has to go to one of her court meetings." As she walked out of the tent she was waving at Nerassus. "Goodbye! Hope to see you soon!"
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-04-13 at 09:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chern, 64 AP, The Crimson Ocean

Chern lay in his hammock, looking up at the stars through the wooden slats of the upper deck. He rocked gently with the motion of the Godhood, the stars swaying with him. He had finally, after weeks at sea, overcome his debilitating sea sickness. The trip was almost becoming pleasant. Almost. A soft prod found its mark in the small of Chern's back.

"Heya... Chern!" Vidlans whispered from the hammock directly beneath him, poking him once more.

"What Vidlans?" Chern replied flatly.

"Ye be awake?"

"I... You just... No Vidlans, I'm not awake."

"Ha! Good one! Yer a funny man, Chern... That's what I like about ye Chern. Always good for a laugh!"

Chern twisted in his bunk, looking down at the flaming pirate as a fierce owl might from its perch.

"Are you mocking me?" he growled. Vidlans beamed up at him toothily, hands clasped together behind his head.

"When 'ave I ever mocked ye?"

"I'd like you to stop please."

"Stop what?"

"Mocking me."

"I don't mean to mock, Vidlans just likes to 'ave a good chat!"

"Then stop chatting!"

Chern found himself coiled up in the fabric of his hammock, hanging poised above Vidlans with an unanticipated fury contorting his posture like bared talons. Vidlans met his eye steadily.

"Why do you keep following me?" Chern demanded, the floodgates broken. "Why are you here? You think I need you? You want to become an acolyte of Chern? Well I don't want you. You're an abomination. Nothing about you fits the philosophy I bring to the world. How can you march through the world without a care, when there are people suffering all around you? You clearly possess much power, but you spend it bumming on trade ships singing and dancing and getting drunk - and annoying me! And for rot's sake! How are you always on fire but never burn anything! It doesn't make any sense, and you should stop."

Chern turned back over in his bed with a finalising huff. A long, heavy silence reigned for a minute or so, the stars twinkling from above, and Vidlans' flames flickering below. Eventually, the pirate gave a bittersweet sigh, and rolled out of his bunk. Chern felt his eyes on him as he stood and made his way to the top deck.

"No worries, matey. When you want to be friends, you let me know, 'aight? Sleep well."

There was a joyful 'arrrr' from the top deck as Vidlans was greeted by the night crew. Chern rolled over, eyes so still that it'd be anyone's guess whether he was sleeping or dead.

---

The Lucent Reef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7MUh2VO28

The sky was overcast. It had been ever since they'd entered the vicinity of what had once been the Lucent Archipelago. Though he was below deck, sitting hunched at the galley table staring into its chipped and ale-stained surface as though it held all the answers, Chern could tell that he was entering the influence of the bloody god Timorin. It did nothing to help his mood.

Meanwhile, Vidlans and the crew sang and danced on deck. Their drawling words echoed down into the depths of the ship, inescapable in the tiny floating coffin of wood and sail. The god of decay could only find solace in the hidden dimensions of reality, where divine power coursed and strained.

Spoiler: You get a hinder...
    Show
    Hinder Su'ule's chosen people

-4 decay, to inflict a swarm of large, luminous botflies upon the northern lands of Su'ule. Though usually creatures of warmer climates, this swarm will manage to migrate into and around the newly terraformed mild Graw region, where they'll survive as a recurring minor plague and disease vector. If Su'ule wants monsters, she can have monsters.

+2 downtrodden, because Chern is being a massive prick to a lot of harmless folk for little cause.

Spoiler: ...And you get a hinder...
    Show
    Hinder Timorin's demigod

-4 decay, to make each new wearer of the Lucent Crown feel the years more than most. Timorin's Hope will appear to age much faster than most. Their life span will NOT necessarily be reduced, but they will feel older than their actual age, and in time the public image of the Hope will be a stooped and bleary eyed elder, wise yet frail. Chern believes this is justified to offset the power they inherit, and better impress upon them the weight of their responsibility.

Spoiler: ...Everybody gets a hinder!
    Show
    Hinder Alatadriel's artefact

-1 fermentation, to afflict the primitive mind of Davy with social confusion. Specifically, though Davy will be compelled to make fun of Chern at every opportunity, he will also often misidentify others as being Chern when they are not. This will lead to Davy accidentally insulting strangers on occasion.

-1 sanitation, Davy will have a strange fixation on waterworks, plumbing, and in particular aqueducts. No matter what his contractors say, the golem will feel strongly compelled to include an aqueduct - functional, artful, and anything between - into his design.
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2020-04-14 at 09:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Ymon-Thal and Thal-Verys, The Passing

“Should we try to reach for the souls anyway?” Thal-Verys' tone revealed nothing about which answer she would prefer.

Ymon-Thal looked a Nerassus' message in silence for a few moments. “No. We will trust her. For now, at least.” The Twin God looked up at Thal-Verys. “But keep an eye on those souls, especially if they ever make it here. And ask the Order if anyone has any idea of what Petr's 'ultimate plan' might be.

Spoiler: Help Petr
    Show
    Ymon-Thal imbues the Moon Pearl with a spark of life (+ 2 Life), radiating from the pearl and affecting everyone nearby. It doesn't exactly heal anyone but it makes them feel renergized and full of life.

Spoiler: Help Su'ule
    Show
    Ymon-Thal gifts Su'ule's Chosen unusually (though not supernaturally) long and healthy lives (+ 2 Life)

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Help: Alatadriel
    Show
    +2 Water: Davy is made water proof so that he can work under water. Still gotta do something about the pressure for any proper deep sea work though.

Spoiler: Help: Ymon-Thal
    Show
    +2 Healing: Desha is made a wellspring of health and vitality, and is given the capacity to regrow lost limbs.

Spoiler: Help: Su'ule
    Show
    +1 Rainbow: A brilliant arc of colour spreads across the whole Green Wastes, and will do so once every year as long as the people maintains Su'ule's favour.
    +1 Medics: Nerassus will share with the people the experiences and knowledge gathered from the Sanctuary quarantine colonies, and the University infirmary.
    Last edited by Maryring; 2020-04-14 at 05:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Timorin handed the Su'ule divivice to Carl the Barl. "Thank you for your help with recording all of the chaos of War of Decay. As promised you will be allowed to go to diviworld and explore the library of the gods to help you on your path of knowledge. While you are up there, remember I want to know anything you find on Julian."

Spoiler: Secondary Action
    Show

1AP Scry Julian

Show

Help Davy

+1 Asylum: Bees shall be safe from all things when inside Davy so long as he survives whatever the threat is

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Julian smashed a rock in furious anger. “Traitors, traitors all around me.” Julian thought to himself, holding himself back from splitting the entire island in half. Just then he felt an energy. A fiery energy. “So the Fox is at work.” He thought to himself. “The God who gave me the greatest gift of all, my fury, my blood lust, my ambition. Those who thought of it as a weakness but what I see as a strength.” He then raised his pickax. “I do not have much love for the gods but I will repay you in kind.”

Show
    Davy
    + 2 knowledge: his intelligence will be beyond most mortals. Able to do complex math and calculations in seconds.
    + 2 mining: It will be able to give itself extra energy just by exhorting any type of magical rock.
    +2 architecture (pickax): is amazing at building structures. He also was really good making them look like ***** when he finds them funny.
    -2 unknown: while being smart he will also be obsessed with trying to claim new knowledge, it will be less than a hobby or more of an unhealthy obsession

Déjà vu helping
    Show

Su'ule's chosen people
    + 2 heroism: understand that the weak must be protected and will help anyone in need.

Show

Desha demigod
    + 2 heroism: She will have a strong moral code, all life is sacred to her.
    Last edited by Godzillarich; 2020-04-14 at 08:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Davanda - The City of Wonders, Theshana - Whirlwind Discoveries:

(Sometime Ago, in his workshop)

"Wonderful! Yes, if you apply extended enchantment out like that in the local energized area it should... yes, your doing it, it's working!"

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

*Crack*

"Uh oh"

[Boom!]

"Hahaha! Oh well, I'll put that onto the charts, we'll try again later. Let's get some sweetsnow Davanda, you did well, and I think we deserve to spoil ourselves a little after that."

"Oh and remember to not tell your mother about the explosion, please. Love you sweety, and I don't want to leave you too soon."

(Modern Day, the Theshanian Council of Wizardry)

Each of the ten councilmen gathered around a tall stone podiums, enchanted to glow at the base with the symbol of mighty wise Vreyalas (a held hammer raised high) and the individual councilor's name. The council was overlooking the application of another sorcerer looking for the title of Wizard, currently most of them were just overlooking the research notes and letters of recommendations submitted. It was quite boring for most of them.

"Standard previous work, upstanding background, and notable teacher. I don't see an issue with them taking the test to ascend to name title, any disagreements?" said the head-speaker. No one said anything, only a silent yawn showing the utter lack of interest in this case.

The head-speaker swung a gavel onto the podium twice, the loud banging ringing though the room, announcing "Three day's hence the apprentice of Phobius Wizard of Necromancy, Tiliphor, will participate in the Test of Wizardy for the title of Wizard of Necromancy." They swung the gavel down once more.

As the papers were being taken out of the council chamber one of the attendants said "Head-speaker, there is another applicant for review."

"Really?" It was not unknown for surprised applicants to arrive last-minute, considering the council only accepted applications twice a month and the travel time can be extreme for some, but it was considered somewhat rude or improper. "What school? Notable master?"

"Uhh, there was no name given for the master and the school was something I did not recognize. She said that she is an apprentice in the school of Air."

"What?!" The head-speaker said annoyed, the others in the chamber starting to notice the exchange. "Why would you even bring this to me if they both did not state a master and did not state an actual school of magic?"

"Umm" the attendant was very nervous at the sudden focus of the councilors. "The applicant was the Princess."

It took a couple moments before it actually sunk in just who he was talking about. The head-speaker said "The princess, Davanda? Are you sure? Why was I not informed about her being in Theshana?"

Another councilor piped in "She never leaves the capital, rarely leaves the emperor's home. There would have been some prior notice if it was actually her. What made you take her at her word?"

"She appeared in a column of light, a-and I don't know, everyone could tell she was not lying." the attended said defensively.

"Teleportation?" thought aloud the head-speaker with a bit of wonder. While it was known that the emperor could do so at will and rumored to be a trait passed down to the princess, with an incredible amount of time and skill a solarmancer could accomplish the same. Even if this applicant was lying about who they were, their display of power warranted some respect. He sighed, it might make for some good humor at least. "Fine, we shall see their research. And I would like to see them come in here in person as well so I may see for myself if they are truly Davanda."

"Of course Head-Speaker. I will go retrieve her right away." said the attendant bowing, waving to others behind them to disperse the notes to the councilors.

As each of the councilors were handed copies and started to review it, they all got confused or just annoyed expressions. Each of them started to discuss what they were looking at with more vigor than anything else in the past three meetings.

"What is this? Matter movement? It's pretty much aquamancy but using a means of mana dispersal that's impossible; only a liquid is solid enough for mana to grasp yet fluid enough to control. Trying to extend one's mana out to control air like this is impossible."

"Indeed, I'd say it's solarmancy work being disguised as something else. See how they keep on referencing the caster's mental focus and flow of mana? Similar to grace theory. They are probably just a deluded solarmancer thinking their favorite solarmanctic spells are somehow a new school."

"They also have strange ideas about enchantment. Permanent matter movement perpetuation? Mana interface field? They are saying they can make things fly! Without mana! Oh, so long as you don't change directions or speed. Of course." Said the councilor with mockery in their voice, just as the attendant was bringing Davanda into the room.

Trying to not look devastated at the mockery of the work she and her father put together, thinking back on the praise from Nerassus, Davanda gave a bow. As the council looked over her they looked a little concerned. More so when she spoke up. "Gr-greetings, I'm Davanda. Is there anything I can explain about the research to you?"

They didn't say anything for a while, then the Head-Speaker said "I suppose that the most pressing question would be of valid application, since I will be honest and say none of us can properly verify the claims these pages make in the least. Simply put it seems absurd to claim this to be it's own branch of magic, let alone that it functions at all as intended." Davanda looked very grim, starting to hang her head down but the Head-Speaker continued "However, there is something to all this that pushes my curiosity, makes me wonder, wonder about the fundamentals of our world. I shall allow you to take the Test of Wizardy in one week's time if no one disagrees." He said looking at the room eyebrow raised.

"I disagree!" Said one of councilors, "How could anyone just discover a new school? There is probably some nonsense inside these notes we are just not seeing at the moment that's blatantly wrong! Let alone the fact that it's impossible for a soul to learn how to extend it's field of mana interaction past the given wielder in anything but water or another living being. How do you explain that 'Davanda'?"

She was prepared for that question at least. "I've been experimenting near Theshana for the past couple of years, inside this valley there is an aura that is similar to the power of enchantment, pushing at the souls of those within allowing a caster to minutely move their field of mana interaction in a way that let's them affect lighter matter. It's hard to describe but it's like a 'tightening' effect, which let's the soul learn how to do so, like learning how to use a muscle."

Now all the councilors felt a bit insulted. "Are you saying that those living in Theshana did not notice a magical property of the valley here for hundreds of years?"

"I-I'm not saying that anyone is incompetent! It was really hard to find and use, it might not have been there before a certain point in time. Please, let me show you the results I have found."

The Head-Speaker looked at the dissident member "Well, what say you? It's a matter of some curio at least."

Still not satisfied, but not wishing to go against the will of the other councilors, the disgruntled man said "I have no further complaints, I'll personally be there to witness her at the Test."

"Good." Said the head-speaker, turning to Davanda they said "Go in peace under the shining lord, we have accepted your proposal. You shall return in a week to go through the Test of Wizadry, if what you have shown us today is something that actually works then we will acknowledge your claim."

Davanda greatly relieved gave another bow "Thank you!"

(Back at Her Father's Home)

Davanda returned here in a pillar of light, entering the little side room her father had prepared for her visits. She really hoped he be here, that the oven was on or the workshop was being used. Yet as she materialized she felt neither of those things. It was just cold and quite.

She walked over to the dinning room between the workshop and kitchen, sitting down at the table putting her scrolls to one side of the table then laid her head down on her crossed arms.

"Oh father, I wish you were here. This is so hard without you. I'm not sure I can do this."

Spoiler: Action!
    Show
    12 AP/8 DC Influence City-Sized Area
    70-12=58 AP left

Davanda tries to institutionalize the school of Air within Theshana, exploiting the dead god Vreyalas's decaying influence in the area to allow the training in this new field. Only while within this aura can a sorcerer ever properly start to practice Air magic, though after a year further personal practice can be done outside Theshana. It barrows ideas and theories from Aquamancy, Enchantment, and Solarmancy; and any potential Su Speakers need not study one (only one) of these schools if they have a mastery in the school of Air to gain Su Speaking.

Air Magic Summarized:

Spoiler
    Show
    Air magic at it's essence is about movement. Movement of the air, movement of electrons to create sparks, movement of objects great and small. Notably when an aeromancer commands an object to move, they may with great concentration and investment of mana keep it from changing velocity or direction, needing another use of air magic to make it fall or change directions (a heavy enough mundane interruption also works, but it has to be sudden and hard enough to overcome the spell).

An aeromancer at first can barely manipulate the air in front of their finger tips inside Theshana, but as they grow in strength and 'flex their field of control' the farther away they can manipulate air and the heavier the object they can make move. Eventually an aeromancer can move boulders, fly with ease, and throw lightning down at their foes; going back to their home they have chained to the ground.

I'll go into more detail if this passes.

+2 Harmony: Davanda and her father find the disruption in the valley and make use of it.

+2 Majesty: No child of the lineage of Yir would not be able to command the elements, Davanda is naturally gifted in such things. Her involvement naturally makes the theories more valid Yir would say.

+1 Perfection: Davanda and her father's hard work has paid off in this draft idea, though the practical uses of it have yet to be fully tested and may yet prove faulty.

Spoiler: Invitation for Nerassus
    Show
    Davanda after a while got up and grabbed for a quill and some ink. She wrote page after discarded page, finding what she said to hold too much flattery or too much familiarity (she doesn't want to assume anything!). Finally she came to a fairly formal format, praising them somewhat but in the end had something like "I've had my work accepted by the Council of Wizards! Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'll be having my Test in a week, it would be great to see you here for it!" in a more extended and formal form.

Looking it over, she quickly cast the (surprisingly fast and easy, it's been a few strange days) message spell to send a copy of the page over to Nerassus before she could change her mind on the matter.

Spoiler: Invitation for Su'ule
    Show
    Later on before supper and Davanda had to leave to go back home to meet Valrion. She looked over the work she had done and gave a simple prayer. "Please miss Su'ule, let this work."
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-04-15 at 12:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Chimera

Su'ule Likes This Idea

Su'ule looks down upon Davanda's prayer and her avatar half-way manifests in front of the assembled people there.
    "Yes, I will grant your request. No need for prayer, I am not a Goddess, though I am Mother, and Queen."

"I can only apologize I did not act more aggressively to protect you in the past."

Spoiler
    Show

Help:
    + 2 Sorcery : People learning Air Magic will discover that they can not only conjure lightning, but can also summon small fires at will by striking trees/the ground with lightning, though only if they become masters of their school. This is not true pyromancy, or even close to what expert pyromancers can do, but it's safer.
    + 2 Monsters : Air mages discover they can magically summon air based monstrosities, but this is difficult.
    + 1 Birth : By combining enchantment/aquamancy, or both with air magic, the Air Mage possesses the aspect of fertility in a thunder bolt, allowing for all things birth related, not just for a woman giving birth.
    + 1 Metamorphosis : Air Mages know how to either transform into flying monsters/animals.

Last edited by DarthArminius; 2020-04-15 at 12:33 AM.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

"Still nothing?"

Nerassus clicks his tongue, and coughs softly, the breath of his mouth having a faint silvery hue to it. "Beyond it tasting a bit like vinegar this time? No."

"Hrmf." Petr shakes their head sadly. "Well, knowing what doesn't work is also progress. Perhaps if." With a whoosh a small note appears before Nerassus, catching him off guard for a moment. The demigod snatches the note out of the air and reads over it. "Something the matter dearheart?"

"Miss Davanda. Remember when she visited us? Well, she brought out some research. I talked theory with her. Gave her a few pointers. Hrm. I'm really curious how she cheated through the lack of divine guidance the other schools of sorcery have."

"A new school of Su'Sorcery huh? I guess she's tapping into Yir's divine energy without realizing it."

"That seems probable. Anyway, it's a big event for her. In Theshana. Can I?"

Petr walks out into the water, creating a large bubble of water fuelled by the pool. Pearls from the bottom of the pool are pumped up into it, filling the globe with countless of the small glinting things. "Of course dear. You've been a lot of help already. And thanks to her stabilizing efforts, the pearl should be fine. I think it's safe to spread it a little." They make a sweeping gesture, cutting the connection of the water globe from the pool. Petr then walks back and offers the globe to Nerassus. "I ask a lot of you, but... if on your way to Theshana, you could bring this with you? Let the globe rain pearls across the world."

"It's safe?"

"Perfectly. The pearl is stabilizing. The window of opportunity to make the pearls dangerous has passed." Petr smiles. "You may even give some of the pearls to the young princess. Let her hand them out to people she trusts."

"Excellent. I'll fly off at once. Oh, I should bring some more people to offer emotional support... and I need to fly by the University and grab some materials. Thanks mom!" Nerassus gives the Petr avatar a tight hug before flying off in excitement. This is gonna be so fun to watch!

Spoiler: Help: Davanda
    Show
    +2 Water: Because of the close links in expression between Water and Air, someone who learns the basics of one school will be able to quickly understand the other. And if someone learns both, they will have the ability to affect weather in a local area.

+2 Justice: Nerassus will bring a whole bunch of research on magical theory with him to Davanda, and bring back information to the University, spreading awareness of the school of Air, though it can still only be learned in the area around Theshana.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dulnori took flight in the form of the leaf as usual, surveying the new world as best as possible.

For Aladatriel:
    On his journey Dulnori first ended up in the new fox colony, where he saw Davy and was immediately overjoyed. Such an interesting creature, an artificial mind, something never before seen, though it was clearly very limited. Dulnori decided to help improve the little guy, so it could grow overtime.
    Show
    +2 Ambition: Dulnori has sent a worm down amongst the bees. This is the worm of inspiration, that whispers new ideas to Davy, so he can improve his projects and maybe one day be more. It also doubles as a mild conscious, warning Davy when he’s taking something too far.

For Petr:
    Then Dulnori floated above sanctuary, where he felt the formation of the moon pearl, and the rage of Petr, before giving his aid he had this to say, “Petr, buddy, you really don’t look good. You should go to my castle one of these days, rest a moment. I’ll help your project, but keeping things solid isn’t exactly my forte.
    Show
    +2 Ambition: The Pearl shall be beautiful and beloved, and thus inspire countless artists and sculptors to try and replicate its beauty and power, forcing them to improve their skills.
    +2 Fortune: The Pearl shall be a thing of good luck, safer from accident, and subtly blessing the waters around it with small deposits of gold, perfect for panning.
    -2 Stability: Nerassus has asked Dulnori to help solidify an unstable object.

For Ymon-thal:
    Finally, Dulnori felt the creation of a new demigod, and gave these words to Ymon-Thal, “Ymon-Desha is a bold warrior, brave and powerful, they shall break free of their limitations and grow in power. Their ship shall be the greatest in both worlds. And, tell Thal-Verys I’m sorry. I had no claim on her soul, and no right to bind her memory the way I did. I wanted her to fulfill my dreams, when I should’ve just let her fulfill her own.
    Show
    +2 Ambition: Ymon-Desha shall have their already impressive ambition magnified even further. Their will to succeed and improve themselves will be like a juggernaut.
    +1 Sailing: Ymon-Desha gets a boat, huge with great billowing sails, to travel the waves in both the world of the living and the world of the dead with any passengers she should see fit.

A message for a sorcerer:

Rurin Sporeweaver was a Ceros who lived in the city of Loampoint, with a rather strange history. The rest of his brood died when they were three of scale rot, leaving only him and the Grand Shaman Longtail. Consequently Longtail doted on him, focusing his every effort into teaching Sporeweaver and ensuring his success in the cut throat world of the glowloam trade, until the day he too died of scale rot. The extra time Longtail had led to Sporeweaver mastering shamanism early, so Longtail decided to give Sporeweaver a choice of any other magical school, whatever it was Longtail would acquire the needed books and knowledge. Thus, Sporeweaver became a type of theoretical necromancer. Longtail was able to acquire the foreign books thanks to some favors from the Golden Dragons, but of course couldn’t actually teach him the art, and the amount of Ceros willing to act as test subjects could be counted on one hand.

Sporeweaver was a lonely man with a very split reputation. The death of both his brood and master was clearly a bad omen, and many believed him to be cursed by spirits or foxes. And his fascination with necromancy was considered something very strange and unorthodox. However, Sporeweaver was also the proud owner of Longtail’s Glowloam Farm, a very successful operation. His skill in the business and the quality of his glowloam was famous.

In the present moment, he was sitting in front of his desk with pen and paper ready. The sun was setting, and although he’d rather be getting ready for bed he had several immediate concerns. A new string of rumors about him had appeared, claiming that he had used souls to fuel the growth of his glowloam, and he was about to write an essay in his defense, when he heard a knock at the door. Opening it he saw Teddy, one of his employees.

“Boss you heard the rumors?” asked Teddy, smiling.

“Of course I’ve heard them,” Sporeweaver snapped at him, “Wipe that dopey grin off your face. These nonsense stories are gonna sink our whole business, and they’ve caught me in a two way bind. If I don’t tell them how I make the glowloam we’ll lose customers, but if I tell them our secret ritual then every other stupid company here is gonna steal it. Bet you fifty pounds of gold the whole thing’s manufactured, was probably that bastard human family the Blackrocks, they got contracts with half of our competitors.”

Teddy was shaken at this, and weakly replied, “No boss, I wasn’t talking about that. They say the queen was talking to Dulnori.”

“What?”

“They say someone saw her in the royal tent with a strange man that looked like the Gambler, when the man left they say he took off flying.”

“Nonsense, he won’t return for another 200 years. Now leave me alone, I gotta write a letter, see if I can get away with not sharing the secret move.”

Sporeweaver slammed the door and went back to work. A few minutes later however he heard another knock.

“Dammit I’m busy make it quick, you moro…” his voice trailed off as he saw a golden dragon in front of him.

“Is this the residence of Rurin Sporeweaver, Chern worshipper and proprietor of Longtail’s Glowloam Farm?”

“Yah, what's the problem? My shop already passed inspection last month.”

“The Queen has requested your presence in Rokanon.”

---------

At the Palace:
    Rurin Sporeweaver arrived at the city, both excited and anxious. The Golden Dragon had simply flown off after making the request known, so he had no real idea why he was needed, meaning this meeting could be for any reason, and he puzzled it over as he walked inside.

“Maybe, she’s heard the rumors, and wants me to explain myself? That would be great, I could easily prove my innocence with her alone, and then those jealous bastards would have to leave me alone for once. What else could this possibly be about really?”

He entered the throne room and saw the queen, evoking mixed feelings. She certainly held herself in the regal way, but she was just so young. With neither scar nor grey hair Sporeweaver thought she looked a bit like a new suit of armor, undented, but also untested.

The Queen stood up and approached the Ceros, “Sporeweaver, I’ve heard many tales of your exploits. They say you are a skilled necromancer, able to peer into souls.”

“I’m just a dabbler, there’s no real way for me to practice here,” said Rurin.

“Well would you like to practice?”

Rurin’s eyes widened, “What do you mean by that?”

“I’m creating a new organization Sporeweaver, the Committee of Anatomical Thaumaturgy. We’re going to study all the different biology of the three species to figure out how best to resolve our nation's problems. We’ll have to look at flesh, blood, bone, and even the souls of our people. I want you to join us, you’ll have the chance to test out your abilities and help everyone in the process. You’ll be compensated for your time of course.”

“This, this would be incredible for me, but where on earth will you get the test subjects for all this. Not many people will just let you play with their souls, and even you can’t just take corpses out of the catacombs.”

“Oh don’t worry about that Rurin, I’ve gotten a special miracle from Dulnori himself that will address that.”

“I’m sorry my queen, I think I misheard you, can you repea-”

“You heard me right. Whatever rumors you've heard are true, the Gambler has returned two hundred years early. He’s been too tied up with foreign gods to make the announcement yet, but he’ll do so soon. In the meantime I’ve been tasked with starting the committee.”

“Gonna have to apologize to Teddy,” thought Rurin before asking, “Well, what’s the miracle then?”

“Just watch,” said the queen as she placed her hand on her stomach and made a pulling motion. The left side of her torso opened like a door and her organs became visible. The pumping of blood through veins, the motion of the intestines, all open to the air. With another motion the right side was open as well.

“We’ll all be live test subjects. Well Rurin, what do you say?” said the queen as she extended her hand.

Rurin was simultaneously disgusted, shocked, and impressed. This queen truly was bold, perhaps she would make an impressive ruler after all. He mumbled a quick spell, and his creaking arm shook hers.

Spoiler: Action:
    Show
    6 AP/3 DC: influence a village of mortals (~1000)
    Dulnori gathers a thousand members to form the Committee of Anatomical Thaumaturgy (CAT), to study the biology of the three species that make up the Horizon Tribe. With his power all of their physiology is plainly revealed. Invited are Nerassus and Petr, since they already have a great knowledge of the human body.

+2 Ambition: This committee is performing an unprecedented scientific undertaking for the Horizon Tribe, with the ultimate goal of improving the entire society.
    +2 Fortune: Dulnori isn’t just the founder, but the sponsor as well. The gifts he gives to the participants should be more than enough to compensate for the time off from work.
    +1 Dreams: The study isn’t just looking at the body, but the mind as well. The participants' dreams are also opened up by Dulnori, so the whole subconscious of the three species can be studied as well.
    -2 Stability: Dulnori can have difficulty at times resealing the body, so the process isn’t always as neat or clean as it was for the queen. This committee will require men of bold character, willing to brave pain
    Last edited by flyinglemur; 2020-04-15 at 07:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Making a small detour on the way back from Deshana's presentation.

Spoiler: Help: Dulnori
    Show
    +1 Medics: Nerassus establishes a co-operation agreement between the 1st Justice University and the CAT.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alatadriel's mansion felt awfully empty as she sketched across the large blueprints of her room... Shadow. That was going to be a hard one. Bats maybe... Or a fern. I mean, she kind of liked bats too much to do that too them. She did kind of hate ferns though. She heard something fall off of one of the piles of junk and turned around... Snapping her fingers and putting it back on the pile. She needed coffee. She took a blend and put it on the fire in the middle of the room. She looked at the bag that the coffee beans were put in. In neat little letters scrawled on the side was "Make sure not to stay up too late, dear."
    Tears welled up in Alatadriel's eyes as she gripped the bag tightly, her lip quivered as she took in a deep breath of air. The roasting smell of coffee filling her lungs.

"Be calm. I know you feel like breaking down. I know it gets so hard sometimes. Just... Be calm." Magus breathed heavily on the side of the bed. Hyperventilating as she leaned against Alatadriel, her hands turning purple as she gripped her wife's hands. "You're gonna be okay."

"Nuh." Magus started before the words caught in her throat as she gasped.

"Shh. I know. You don't need to say anything." Magus would have intense nightmares some nights. Ala had never asked her why; Magus never wanted to talk about it. The two sat there, leaning against each other. Magus burying her face into Alatadriel as she rubbed the small of her back. In her hand appeared a blue flame. "I once lived with a soldier in the early days of Al-Sinai. He would wake up shaking in the night. I did not understand at the time, but every time he would light an herb off the smoldering ashes of his hearth and breathe in the smoke." She snapped her fingers and a bag was pulled from the drawer. Lighting the rolled herb. "It took me a long time to figure out which plant that was."

Magus shivered against the touch of Alatadriel, the two sat there as her breath became slower and slower. "Would you like some of the herb?" Magus's hands quieted as she took a long drag before she coughed for a long time. "It's alright." Alatadriel comforted.

Magus's breathing returned to normal slowly. "I-I wish that I cou-could be there for you. Li-Like you are for me."

"You are. More than you know."

Rosalin went up into the attic above her office. Laying down across the many bags was Alatadriel, sleeping. "MA!?" Rosalin shook her mother awake. "The hell are ya doing here!"

Alatadriel slowly sat up. She looked like she hadn't slept in a week. She gripped her head. "I... Ow. I drank last night. Last time I ended up in the afterlife, so not that bad... ****, I burnt the coffee." She looked around. "Do you have coffee?"

"We're hundreds of thousands of furloughs from the nearest coffee tree. No, we don't have anyway."

Alatadriel looked around for something to drink. "Shame, I bet coffee beans would grow great here... Water?"

Rosalin handed her a mug. "Have some kale shake, it helps with hangovers. The berry blend in it has a mix of-"

"Just give me it." Alatadriel's nose scrunched as she downed half the concoction. "Still feel like ****. Rosalin, I already made Davy. You can do the rest of my godly duties today can't you?"

"Uh, I don't really know if I really have the authority to-"

"You'll do fine. Just remember, it's about skill and forethought. Not power."

Rosalin sighed as she got down on one knee. "I will do my best."

Alatadriel looked over. "Why are you kneeling? It's easier if you're more comfortable."

Rosalin looked slightly embarrassed. "You kneel when you pray, and... I'm gonna go to my office." She climbed down the ladder.

Spoiler: Hinder Timorin
    Show
    While Rosalin may agree with the person in charge and perhaps even the idea in theory. She cannot abide by this lack of individuality and trust in such high power.
    +2 Willfulness, People will always be skeptical of the goals of Timorin's Hope as they rule. Why are they chosen? Is this truly the best way to work for the Greater Good? should we even work for the Greater Good? All questions running through the populace as they judge the office.

Spoiler: Help Ymon-Thal
    Show
    A Protector of the living! A great idea and... Damn, look at those muscles! A rival worth having!
    +2 Willfulness. Ymon-Desha is sent a message. On it is a recipe for a kale shake high in anti-oxidants and protein to serve as a post-workout snack. On top of being delicious (Not really, Rosalin's tastebuds were dead before she died) the recipe is tinged slightly with divine power. Giving Ymon-Desha a bit of extra divine energy after drinking it

Alatadriel slowly came down the stairs, seeing Rosalin lifting a dumbbell at her desk with one hand as she filled out paperwork. "Oh, hey Ma. I did some of your divine paperwork for you. I wasn't sure how you would like to react to Su'ule though."

Alatadriel looked at her daughter strangely. "What? I got to get in my workout somehow! Hey, watch this!" She switched hands with her dumbbell and continued writing with her other hand. "It took me like a year to get the whole ambidexterity thing down."

Alatadriel let out a light laugh. "That's great dear. Make sure Davy doesn't do anything weird while I'm out. I'll treat you to some dinner after I get back." Alatadriel snapped out of existence.

She didn't know much about the people of the Graw Greenlands and as she watched from high above, the first thing she saw was... A group of Changelings in the square, clad in water-based armor they started to put on a show... A show... OF PYROMANCY! IN PUBLIC! Are these the types of degenerate activities that were allowed in Su'ule's empire! And after the GIFTS! Yes, the gifts she had given them! She looked over to a smithery to see another changeling bringing metal to another and them taking their hand and welding it together with their magic. What was this! They had already known the melting points of this and they shortcut their way with magic! Forbidden magic that could kill them all! Did they believe that this monumental risk is worth the pay off! Are they in some damned pursuit of knowledge! They had already had the Dance of Flame and this is what they do! Lazy degenerate louts that have never done any good in their damned lives!!
    Spoiler: Hinder Su'ule
    Show
    All pyromancers have a tree of woe approach them in their dreams delivering the message "Live by the pyre, and you shall die by the pyre. Give up your wicked embrace of this dark magic and you shall be spared my fate. Follow and you shall burn."
    True to the mystical trees dream emanations, all pyromancers who hear this will have their next use of pyromancy spontaneously and dangerously explode killing them and those around them. Alatadriel will take any of the deceased pyromancer's souls and have them become trees of woe in the center of the Graw Greenlands as a reminder.

The Capital City of Al-Sinai, Town Square
    Ashes always stained the center here. Years of pyromancers and alleged pyromancers burned at the stake in front of the gigantic statue of the loving mother that is Alatadriel. Magus depicted standing tall with her head pointed downward, her loving eyes casting a judging glare down to the victims. An ornate circle had Aerathor tied to a stake at the center, his mouth gagged by one of the anti-mage restraints of the police. Even the stalwart guards meant to protect the public would not dare step past the circumference of this circle. Laid out to where no mage short of a Su Speaker should be able to have their magic be deadly.

A judge in ornate robes took his place on the podium below the giant statues, thousands of citizens watching on in hope as they looked to the criminal struggling in his bonds. Executions always grew large crowds.
    "Found nearly dead on the road. It can only be the divine providence of our beloved goddess that you were sent to us. For your crimes of pyromancy! Murder! Treachery! Treason! Among many, many more! For your cruel pursuit of power and your wretched lives! There is only one death suitable for your likes. Live by the pyre and you shall die by the pyre. Priest... Please start the prayer."
    Guards set fire to their arrows as it started. The priest nodded solemnly and started in a melodic voice. "The flame is the soul's breath. The black smoke is the soul's release. Ashes as thou wert and art. May your soul burn with hatred as you contemplate this on the Tree of Woe. May none take your wretched soul."

The crowd cheered as the fiery arrows pierced into the sides of Aerathor's body. Lighting the pyre.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

29. - Top - End - #329

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Demonjazz View Post
    Alatadriel, 78 AP, The Diviworld, Alatadriel's furnace
    "Hmph, I'll show Chern and his stupid syringe! Bloody, Rotman trying to show me up with his metallurgy. Look at me, I can make hollow needles! I live in a hole underground!" She had her blacksmith's apron on, a set of brass goggles over her eyes as she worked over a ticking brain. "Well, fool. I might not ever have been good at brains, but if you think you can show the goddess of smithing up, well you have another thing coming!" She pulled out a small tube, running fire through it, in a way that would remind a modern man of a blow torch. She welded a panel shut on the brain and conjured a small roaring fire underneath it, carefully placing it inside the ticking brain. It belched out smoke outside of its sides as the crisp crack of life shuddered, sending the brain nearly off the table before the fire died down. It still smoked, but through the lower part of the brain, two pinpricks were seen through the eyes of the machine. "Well can he create LIFE! WITH! MACHINES!" Alatadriel cackled as she put the brain into a gigantic brass machine. Nearly seventeen feet tall, and having to weigh at least ten decafirkins, this sturdy clockwork machine was humanoid in figure, with two giant oversized pairs of hands. The Polished monstrosity glinted in the light, it's face was expressionless, only wearing a simple line for its mouth, and was just a roughly dome-shaped piece of brass instead of a head. Leaving the being without a neck. A large metal door on the front could be opened from its gigantic brass barrel of a torso. Opening it inside, Alatadriel carefully put in the tube she used to weld in one of the many, many compartments holding a variety of tools inside of the machine. Roughly where the heart of a man would be was a bustling beehive. The bees occasionally flew out from the holes in the arms of the machine. The squat legs of the creature looking comical on its gigantic body.

As Alatadriel carefully put in the brain of the creature, the creature started to tick more and more until eventually, it reached an equilibrium like a pendulum. smoke came out from the top of its head from two small pipes that looked a bit like ears on the machine's strange head. It whirred, turning to its side and for one of the few times in Alatadriel's divine life. Someone looked down at her. "Initiating Greeting Protocol. Hello, I am Davy Civil Engineering Beedez. It is pleasant to finally be able to talk to the one who created me. You are very beautiful." The voice of the creature did not seem to come from its mouth but from somewhere behind the eyes of the creature. The machine known as Davy had a voice that sounded what one would imagine a boiler would have if they could speak.

"Beedez? I didn't program that... Oh, it's of no importance anyway. State your prime directive,"

"Prime Directive: To increase the infrastructures of soul-based races by performing acts of civil engineering. Ah, I yearn to work!" The creature shook it's hands up and down enthusiastically.

"Good. Passcode, Beekeeper. State your Classified Secondary Directive."

"To make fun of Chern whenever I see him. Initiating Joke protocol! Ha Ha!" The machine slapped at its voluminous belly. "You are significantly shorter than me! You look so weak and sickly, like a wounded puppy but even more pathetic! Have you even lifted a tree, bro!" The machine did the closest equivalent it could get to a flex of its biceps.

"Ha! Very good, Davy. You'll have quite a handful in the village that I'll be sending to you. But I'm sure you'll be able to handle it."

"Ah, yes! Good! Challenges will allow my repository of civil engineering information to grow exponentially! Or at least linearly!"
    Alatadriel opened a portal to the city of Al-Estria.

Rosalin sat in her office drinking a crushed up drink of mainly kale juice, and acacia berry. She stirred it once again as she got ready for her morning run. She could never get that kale consistency quite right. She always ended up getting bits of kale in her teeth and- Rose spit out her drink onto the window as she looked outside, seeing the shining behemoth in the town square right outside of her door. She burst through the door, breaking one of the hinges with how hard she threw it open. "WHAT IN THE HOLY FLAME IS THIS!"

Alatadriel bowed to the citizens quickly gathering in the town square. "This is my newest creation. A great machine to help you all. A machine not only capable of thinking but one of great ingenuity even. I will let him introduce himself."

"Initiating Greeting Protocol. Hello, my name is Davy Civil Engineering Beedez. I am here to build the infrastructure of soul-based creatures. Please excuse me, mam. But I believe you have broken the door." The crowd still too shocked to say anything watched as Davy opened up his chest, bees escaping as he did so. He took out a hammer and some nails. Comically undersized in his gigantic hands and carefully stooped down. Before he put his tools back into his cavernous stomach, he turned to one of the people in the crowd. His massive hand that could easily crush the man pointed to the hat on top of his head. A black stovepipe hat. "Sir, could you tell me where you found such a dashing item? I believe that I would very much like to buy one of these hats for myself. Much larger of course." The man, slackjawed simply pointed to the store behind him.
    Spoiler: action
    Show
    16 AP/12 DC: Create a +2 domain religious artefact (max 3 per god). Davy Civil Engineering Beedez, the Civil Engineering Automaton. +2 Civil Engineering.
    +2 Fires from the divine fire that powers him, and +1 from the bees that populate the inside of him.
    Davy Civil Engineering Beedez is a truly miraculous invention. The first and perhaps what will be the only fully sentient and thinking machine. The ramifications of which is something even it's own creator cannot predict. Though, everyone believes the gigantic creature is its body. Davy is actually only that of the small brain that powers its massive hulking body. If one were to take out the brain from the gigantic automaton, it could easily power a similar body. Theoretically, a god could even overwrite the directives of Davy to something else entirely.
    Despite Davy's sentience, he tends to view things in strange inhuman ways. Nothing gives him more satisfaction in life than following his prime directives, and while he can and has developed plenty of interests outside of these main protocols, his being will always find itself pivoting towards these in-built goals. Leading to a very single-focused and goal-driven mind. He's just so happy to help build things. And will typically not take no for an answer when he knows a better way to engineer something. Especially if it is for something silly like aesthetics.

... Oh, and the bees are there because his machine body naturally collects the honey and turns them into delicious treats for his fellow working man.
    A voice can be heard wherever Alatadriel's presence can be felt.
    "You have committed an atrocity against my people. You have committed not only murder of a most cruel and unusual sort, but have saw fit to damn their souls as well."
    "This is now war! A war against the She Dog!"
    "Alatadriel, you are now my most hated ENEMY!"

Spoiler
    Show

Hinder

+ 2 Sorcery : Davy is now very vulnerable against all magic, and finds it difficult to avoid magic thrown his way. In addition, this curse now extends to anything that Davys creates.
    + 2 Monsters : Monsters are now undetectable to Davys. In addition, the barks and wood from Trees of Woe have an easy time destroying Davys creations.
    + 1 Birth : Davys can basically create what he wants, but if he tries creating self-aware people/he finds it especially difficult.
    + 1 Metamorphosis : Trying to get around the Anti-Birth curse causes him to only make his creations something worse than he made before.

Last edited by DarthArminius; 2020-04-15 at 09:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chapter 3, Turn 2 rolls

Timorin (75 AP) - anoint the Hope of Timorin (+2 Sacrifice) (18 AP/14 DC) +2 War/+2 Drama/+1 Asylum/+1 Games/+2 Twilight Archipelago/+2 Blood/-2 Fear
    Ymon-Thal, +2 Life/+2 Souls, soul reading
    Petr, +2 Water/+2 Healing/+2 Justice, defensive vampiric healing
    Avestra, +2 Nature, the Horn of the Wild
    Yir, -2 Sun/-2 Giant, Valrion teleports behind you
    Grawissen, +2 Knowledge/+2 Mining/-2 Unknown, dig good
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition/+2 Fortune/+1 Dreams, Stonewing summon
    Su'ule, +2 Sorcery/+2 Monsters/+1 Birth/+1 Metamorphosis, shapeshift
    Chern, -4 Decay, ageing
    Alatadriel, -2 Wilfulness
    (1d20+23)[30]
    Secondary - scry Julian (1 AP)

Petr (79 AP) - harvest the Pearlescent Moon (16 AP/12 DC) +2 Water/+2 Healing/+2 Moonpool/+2 Justice/+1 Rainbow/+2 Blood
    Chern, +4 Decay/+1 Sanitation, gloral replication
    Timorin, +2 War/+2 Drama, mood ring
    Yir, +2 Sun/+2 Majesty/+2 Harmony/+1 Symbiosis/+1 Perfection, harmony field and perfection nullification
    Ymon-Thal, +2 Life
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition/+2 Fortune/-2 Stability
    (1d20+32)[49]

Su'ule (80 AP) - choose Su'ule's Chosen (20 AP/16 DC) +2 Sorcery/+2 Monsters/+1 Birth/+1 Metamorphosis
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition/+2 Fortune/+1 Sailing, harvests and sailing
    Yir, +2 Sun/+1 Perfection/+1 Symbiosis
    Chern, -4 Decay/+2 Downtrodden, botflies
    Ymon-Thal, +2 Life, long and healthy lives
    Petr, +1 Rainbow/+1 Medics, annual rainbow and medical knowledge
    Grawissen, +2 Heroism
    Alatadriel, -2 Fire, trees of woe
    (1d20+17)[35]

Chern (64 AP) - submerge gloral (8 AP/4 DC) +4 Decay/+1 Sanitation
    (1d20+5)[18]

Ymon-Thal (76 AP) - raise Ymon-Desha (+2 Body) (18 AP/14 DC), +2 Death/+2 Life/+2 Souls/+1 Balance
    Su'ule, +2 Sorcery/+2 Monsters/+1 Birth/+1 Metamorphosis, sorcery resist and shapeshift
    Chern, +1 Sanitation, water flask
    Timorin, +2 War/+2 Drama, Disa-Spear
    Yir, -2 Majesty/-2 Sun, convincing her to reject
    Petr, +2 Healing, antidismemberment ability
    Grawissen, +2 Heroism
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition/+1 Sailing, boat
    Alatadriel, -2 Wilfulness, kale shakes
    (1d20+19)[33]

Grawissen (66 AP) - immortalise Julian (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Mining/+2 Knowledge/+2 Architecture/-2 Unknown
    Timorin, +2 War/+2 Twilight Archipelago/-2 Fear, respawn
    (1d20+6)[17]

Alatadriel (78 AP) - power up Davy the Civil Engineering Automaton (+2 Civil Engineering) (16 AP/12 DC) +2 Fire/+1 Bees
    Chern, -1 Fermentation/-1 Sanitation, Chern vision and aqueduct fixation
    Petr, +2 Water, waterproof
    Timorin, +1 Asylum, for the bees
    Grawissen, +2 Knowledge/+2 Mining/+2 Architecture/-2 Unknown, big brain bot
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition, conscience worm
    Su'ule, -2 Sorcery/-2 Monsters/-1 Birth/-1 Metamorphosis, cannot replicate and sorcery weakness
    (1d20+4)[14]

Avestra (70 AP) - send Inyoni on a journey to Eaglebeak Rock (1 AP/0 DC) +2 Nature
    (1d20+2)[8]

Yir (70 AP) - localise the school of air in Theshana (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Harmony/+2 Majesty/+1 Perfection
    Su'ule, +2 Sorcery/+2 Monsters/+1 Metamorphosis, thunder and air creatures
    Petr, +2 Water/+2 Justice, water and air synergy
    (1d20+14)[31]

Dulnori (86 AP) - assembled the CAT (6 AP/3 DC) +2 Fortune/+2 Ambition/+1 Dreams/-2 Stability
    Petr, +1 Medics, 1st Justice University partnership
    (1d20+4)[18]

Kahar-Djin (62 AP) - no action