New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pan-aeons: a God Game

Nerassus and Yir atop the Tower of the Sun - Solar History:

It's the middle of the day, approaching noon. At the top of the tower of the Sun, one of two towers that rise tall above the Castle of Masters, is where Nerassus is found. He has opened the roof and is standing in the middle of the now open chamber, rolling a small stone in his palm. "Blueberry!" Nerassus shouts at the pebble in his hand, which mocks him with it's refusal to magically transform into something else entirely. "Blueberry, blueberry, blueberry!" He lifts the pebble up, peering carefully over the stone, rolling it in his grip before trying to give it a hard squeeze. "Come on. I'm doing it just like Oki says. So why won't you change?" He takes a deep breath, placing the pebble aside before looking up at the sun. Okeyani has always said that the power of the sun is what enables the art of Radiance. Perhaps if he channeled the sunlight somehow? Or perhaps... He exhales through his teeth in a deep and heavy sigh, shaking his head. It's a pleasant day. Perhaps just basking for a few minutes in the sun will inspire him.

The familiar golden radiance of Yir's presence glittered on the top of the tower where Nerasuss laid. Yir looked over their child for a moment, a breeze going across the child's face as Yir said.

"Greetings my little sparkle, I see that you are frustrated. Has something happened during your lessons?"

"Poppa Yir!" Nera's eyes shoot open to look upwards. He lifts one hand to shield his eyes from the light, and he sits up to let out a soft exhale. "No, nothing happened. That's the problem. Okeyani has been teaching me Your Radiance branch of magic, but. I just can't seem to get it to work like she does. She can make food out of nothing so easily it seems. But I can't even change this little pebble.

This surprised the sun greatly. For Yir had noticed Nerassus's using solar magic before, yet had assumed that it was naturally going to be a success since they had specifically blessed the child with more power than normal for these spells. Which meant...

"My poor child, what have they been teaching you?"

"Oki says that, Solar Sorcery is an expression of willpower. It's like..." He rubs his chin thoughtfully, licking his lips as he searches for the word. "As a God, you can change the world almost completely like you want right? I remember you told me once that you made a group of mortals bigger. And that happened because it's what you wanted it to happen. So what I should do is to want stuff to happen in that very same way right? He frowns, twiddling his thumbs softly, looking down on his knees as if he's ashamed of what he's saying. "Maybe I'm too soft. I don't have the willpower to do this.

Ah, so it was incompetent teaching Yir thought. Or to be more precise, of course a divine creature would need something more explained to them than mortals.

"Please little one do not think so little of yourself, for I believe that it is your incredible will that is the issue not your lack of one. The way your teacher explained my gift was... correct in a certain sense but lacked two fundamental aspects of how to use the power wisely." Yir paused for a moment. "Let me explain what this radiance is."

"Near the dawn of time when all was new, before even the Blessed People were given their gifts or this land you live in given form or purpose; the Monster Su'ule wandered out of the depths of the world from a dark place not even I could imagine and let out a terrible scream of domination. All would be under her power." A globe of light appeared in front of Nerassus.

"I would not allow a creature from the depths of the world be the only one to fill the world with such power over everything, to force the mortals of the world to look to them for salvation. And so I took in their terrible scream into myself, and let out my own voice into the hidden sights of reality. However my voice is pure and soft, so it could not reach over the world at the same speed as the scream." A second, clearly smaller globe appeared above the first.

"The first scream was inevitably shattered by one of the godlings down upon this world, though I know not who or why, but they did the world a service that day." The first globe shattered into many different orbs, a rainbow of colors. "Yet my voice remained whole, above the world as it is, now the unintended greatest of magics."

"The reason I explain this to you is so you understand the nature of this power. It is not influencing the world as a god, but using the power of one to influence the world. Those that call upon my power are forced to look above themselves, to me in one form or another, for aid. I grant this to all who ask and show goodness in their heart."

"The other aspect is that of time, for my grace is not of this world and takes more time than worldly magic to be drawn from Above to this world below. Do not let frustration distract you, for as long as you stay firm and hold onto wisdom the grace you seek shall come down in time."

"To put this in a simpler way: stay humble, know what your changing, and be patient. My light does not make any mortal into a god, indeed trying to be so proud would hinder anyone's development. You being a divine creature just makes such a distracting idea more incapacitating."

Nerassus sits, listening with rapt attention. One hand lightly reaches up to touch after the glowing orb that appears, blinking in surprise when the first orb split into smaller pieces. "That was what gave birth to the distinct schools of magic. Master P'ua has been trying to teach me that. Hrm. They all act as though all magic is, at it's core, part of the primal scream... then again. They weren't there. But you were, weren't you?" He smiles up at Yir, tapping a finger on his chin. "Hrm. But if it is like that... it makes sense! I've been trying to use Radiance like I've done Enchantment. Channel mana from myself into the object. But it's not my power. It's yours... wait. Momma says that soon, all the gods will fade from the world again. That's why I have to grow strong quickly so I can protect people. Does that mean I can't use Solar Sorcery when you sleep?

"Though I may eventually sleep, I shall never stop giving my blessings to this world."

After a bit of a pause, Yir said somewhat awkwardly almost as a mumble. "I guess the mortal equivalent would be talking in one's sleep."

"Oh! You mean like Nani does? Although I guess that's more profi...prof... professaying in her sleep. Then again, maybe it's just nightmares. It's hard to tell with her sometimes. Like, if you constantly say something bad's gonna happen, well, bad stuff happens all the time right? So I don't listen to her much when she's sleep-talking. Nera nods in satisfaction as things begin to make sense to him. "Could you... stay and watch a little? I want to try this again."

"Of course, I will stay focused on you till the moon has risen if need be."

Nerassus smiles happily at that. He once more picks up the pebble he's been working on. After so much time trying to impose his will on the stone, it feels a little strange how easy it is to just... let go. To flip the metaphorical switch and relinquish some of that will. Yes, he wants to change the pebble into a blueberry. But he's not doing it himself. Instead he reaches out, seeking for that single thread about his core. The sunburst on his forehead glows ever so slightly as he mentally calls out, asking that the world change as he wants it to change.

Invisible solar power flowed down from above like a stream of water into the stone, working first on the surface successfully changing it to look like a blueberry. Yet Nera now knew that they needed to stay focused, continuing to channel the solar power till it flowed no more and all the grace required to change the stone into a blueberry had been used.

For a moment Nerassus feels like he's suspended in a void. Floating in nothing but pure solar power. Like a river that washes over him, keeping him suspended in nothing but a feeling. And then it ends. Just like that. In his hand he sees something small, blue and soft. "I... did it? I think... no. I know. I can't really explain why but... I just know that it worked.

The air around the tower sparkled with prismatic sparkles at the joy of Yir.

"You've done well to learn my lesson so easily Nerassus. I am proud of you." As the sparkles faded away Yir said "Hmm now that this lesson is done I think you might appreciate the story of Ragdios the Builder and his travels across Tumeria...."

"Yay! Storytime! Nerassus grins happily, curling his knees up to his chin, listening with a happy smile.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-03-06 at 08:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

The celebration off Magus's young daughter has been going on for quite some time. As a god, Petr doesn't get exhausted. Not in that way. But they still finds it curious how some guests can still eat, or dance, or... do whatever it is that mortals do when they're at a celebration and they think the host isn't noticing what's happening. Petr has hid herself in the crowd in the form of an old crone. Black hair streaked with silver of old age. A cloak of soft earthen browns and greens. And a dimmed aura. She is not here to see Alatadriel. She is here to see "Magus!"

She calls out to the new mother, taking a few steps towards her with a warm smile. Magus tilts her head slightly in return, trying to size up the older woman. "Indeed. That's me... Do I know you?"

"I should hope so. You didn't sleep through every sermon about me after all." Petra grins playfully as she lifts herself up just a bit, conjuring a small halo of water to flow around her.

"Flowermaker?!"

"Indeed. Although not today." Petra tilts her head slightly, gazing back towards the crowd of people still feasting and celebrating. "You've done well for yourself. These festivals are even more extravagant than those back in Sanctuary. Much smaller guest list though."

"I couldn't tell." Magus responds, her voice dry. "Everything is so much larger out here. After the wide open plains and the vast deserts, your island feels tiny. But you didn't actually come here to small talk did you?"

"Not only to do that no." Petra reaches into her robes to pull out a small bundle wrapped in seaweed. Opening it up reveals a sticky brown mass. Magus brings it up to her face and tugs off a small piece, plopping it into her mouth.

"Nghn. Oh man. I haven't tasted buttersyrup in forever! How'd you know I'd been craving it?"

Petra smiles warmly. "You may have left my island, but you never left my heart." Petra stands up taller and reaches into another pocket. This time she pulls out a small vial of glass. It is filled with what looks like water that has been coloured faintly blue. "I also bring a gift for your daughter. Of a sort."

"Oh gods. Are you gonna dump a whole bunch of weapons on a baby too? Perhaps make her tears create tidal waves?"

Petra blinks, staring blankly ahead for a moment. "N... no. What gifts have the others been bestowing on you?"

"I'd rather not talk about it." Magus looks over the phial in Petra's hand. "So what's that. Aquamancy in a bottle?"

"It's a cure." Petra places the phial in Magus's hands. "A cure against divinity."

"Say what?"

Petra looks straight at Magus, before tilting her head skywards. "Those waters will quench Alatadriel's fire within little Rosie. I give this to you because she is your child." She turns her gaze back towards Magus, inclining her head slightly. "As a demigod, Rosie will live a life set out for her by others. She will be extremely powerful for a mortal. A master of war. She will fight for the empire she grows up in. She will attain glory and fame as befits one of divine blood. And then she will die. A painful, violent death because she is still mortal. A mortal who can choose no path but that of war. That is the curse of power."

Magus looks down on the phial in her hand, clutching it tightly for a moment. Briefly shaken. When she speaks again her voice has lowered half an octave. A faint growl in the back of her throat. "And this will help how?"

"It will permit her a choice. It will wash away divine influences from her. She will grow up like a normal child. She will play normal games with children. Learn as normal humans do. And when she becomes old enough, the path she forges will be entirely her own." Petr crosses her arms with a warm smile. "Who knows. Perhaps she'll visit Sanctuary and befriend my son who lives there."

"You have a son?"

"I do. Unlike Rosie though, he could never be anything but divine. Born from the faith of... among others, yourself. He is a demigod, and so he is given a task and a purpose. He is a protector. He is justice made flesh. And he can never escape that heirtage." Petra leans back just a little, lightly nibbling upon her lips. "I will not think ill of you if you choose not to give her the drink. This is, truly and honestly, a choice I give to you. No expectations. No retribution. Just a future you forge from your own decisions."

"And how can I know what the right choice is?"

"Simple." Petra inclines her head once more as her form dissolves into mist. "It's the choice you make."

Spoiler: Hinder
    Show
    Petra hinders the creation of a demigod.
    +2 Water and +2 Healing to create the potion of mortal life. An elixir attuned for Rosie's half-breed nature. Drinking it will remove the divine spark, rendering her an ordinary mortal.
    +2 Justice. If Rosie becomes a mortal, she and Nerassus may develop a friendship.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chern, 22/50 AP, the Harken Steppe

The cloaked and hooded figure shambled across the empty steppe, a three pronged staff in hand. He had not been to this place before, had not even visited the continent since the Sugradi's new divine leader took power. It reminded him of the world he'd known seven hundred years past, before the gods' first footsteps had changed everything.

A herd of buffalo trundled past majestically. The figure lifted his hood to observe, revealing the white mask of Chern. Dulnori had been frolicking placidly, as part of that herd, betting on if he'd speared today or tomorrow, when he saw that strange masked figure. He felt an unusual power, one that had been dulled in these lands for 700 years, and approached the being.

"Hello, stranger. I am Dulnori, the maker of dreams. Your spirit is familiar, like the stench of rot, and shines brightly. You are a god no doubt. So then, are you just a tourist, or are you here to ask something of me."

"Dulnori," Chern greeted, throwing back his hood fully, "I am Chern, and I have come to ask something of you. Though I concentrate my essence in a land on the other side of the world, I think that your magics can be of help to my people. Shamanism, the school of nature."

"God of decay, right? Good to meet you then. What's your project, I'm always eager to show off my creation. You don't get too many good chances here."

Chern held the staff flat across his open palms.

"My people have been driven into a harsh land where little grows. This staff - this trident - will mould the landscape into a paradise by imbuing its water with holy vibes. Tighten the cycle of growth and decay, give the mortals some power over its course. I understand shamanism follows similar principles, commanding plants and animals through kinship and force of will."

"I like you Chern, this is a very thoughtful blessing. I'll add my part." Dulnori shed his buffalo form, and as he did so his horns fell onto earth. He took up the trident, and replaced the left and right prongs with the horns.

Spoiler: Help!
    Show
    +2 Ambition: Control over growth and decay is a great heroic goal. The wielder of the trident shall be compelled to action. Their will shall expand, and the beasts of the land shall fall in line. A proper shaman shall be able to wield its powers.

+2 Fortune: The wielder of the trident will be blessed with an inordinate luck, so villains will not be able to just take this tool by force.

"Now then, you wanna be turkey vultures together for a bit? I'm getting bored of buffalo."

The shining yellow eyes behind Chern's mask widened, shimmering with murky tears of joy.

"No one has ever asked me that before..."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grawissen, Grawpolis Palace- 4/50 AP

“We are unofficially at war with the Empire.” The king proclaimed to Graw. “The trying to be sneaky about it with mercenaries but it’s still pretty obvious that they let those mercenaries attack me in my troops.” He then stabbed his sword onto the table. “And the worst of all the walls are crumbling. What do we do?”

”The great sleep... will happen soon...so you cannot rely on me…but I have a plan...

Just then a guard charged in. “Mighty Grawissen, someone is here to see you.”
    ______

Timorin, returned from his travels, approached Grawopolis. He stops outside of the walls. "Graw. I have come to speak to you."

Graw walked outside of the gates. ”AH Timorin...it is good to see you… What brings you...to Grawopolis…? Graw asked as he shook Timorin hand.

Timorin takes the offered... Hand? "I've come to tell you that we are even for your betrayals and let you know I stole a parchment from your stick."

Graw continued shaking Timorin hand. ”oh I know…” Graw then let go of Timorin hand. ”I mean...it’s not like it really matters...because what's going to... happen to all of us soon..."

Timorin tensed for a moment before trying to hide his uneasiness. "What do you mean? What is going to happen?"

”The great sleep... is going to happen... again soon...and there’s a good chance… We won’t wake up… Again…” Graw then pull out a scroll. ”...luckily I have a way… To make sure… The great sleep… Doesn’t make me disappear… Graw then started to walking away. ”anyway… Nice talking to you…again.”

Timorin gets a look of confusion. "What are you talking about? What do you mean we might disappear?"

Graw turns back around ”I have felt its… My body getting weaker… The same feeling I felt… When the sleep took us… So long ago… Soon... we will be between life and death...and I don’t think… We will be lucky like last time…”

Timorin raises an eyebrow. "And how do you plan to fight this?"

Graw showed Timorin a scroll. ”this will help me… Stay around… Despite the curse…”

Timorin reaches for the scroll. "Ah, good. And it shall be shared with your friends."

Graw pulled back the scroll. ”I would be more... than happy to...but I need… Special materials… To make more scrolls...

"Special materials?"

”A magical item...along with a special parchment...I would had the parchment...but I recently lost it.” Graw told Timorin

"I have no parchment to give, hence my theft of yours. I do however have a set of magical items that I could give to your people to help expand their knowledge."

”Good I’ll be able... to make...a new scroll.” with that Graw grab the masks and handed Timorin the scroll.

Timorin immediately opens the scroll. Inside he sees a description of Graw's life. "What is this?"

”a complete documentation… Of my history… I was planning on… Making more… Describing the other Gods histories… Graw then handed the masks to some of the guards behind him.

Timorin's voice shifted with his glare. "Because your histories worked so well the last time? You are acting a fool, repeating old mistakes. I should reclaim my end for you failed in yours."

”As long as... we are remembered...we never truly disappear… Whether it be Gods or mortals… I did not lie… And the masks… Will help me with… My documentation… I thank you for your assistance… Graw then turned and started to walk away.

"You still owe me. I shall soon be back to correct. I have aided your people and some of your creations have sacrificed much. It is time you paid me back for my help with your pickaxe. Your creations have given their lives for what I seek to do, the least you could do is give a little aid to fulfill a debt."

Graw stop himself. ”I would be more... Than willing to help... With that...just call on me..."

With a smile, Timorin was gone.

Spoiler: help
    Show

Mad God's Masquerade x 96 +1 Mad God's Map

+2 mining: the maps are able to identify the type of raw materials that are in an area.
    +2 architecture(pickax): the maps can help you easily identify perfect building areas that would leave very little or any environmental damage.

_____

Graw came back to the throne room, some the masks in his hand. “What did he want?” the king asked as he sat on his throne.

If Graw could smile he would at this very moment ”He gave us... the perfect component... for the plan. he then shoved the masks into his rib cage. ” There is only... one thing we can do… we will find a new home... Graw gave the king one of the masks and headed for the door. ”get ready… To sail… And to make sure... The Empire… Does not know... what we're doing…

The king looked at the mask and back to Graw. “And what are you doing?”

”...Finding a new home… And studying the world...”
    _____

Since Graw was in the area he decided to visit Nerassus. He walked along the bay of sanctuary. "What a beautiful place...." he looked into the water seeing a lot of terrors bathing. "... I am happy that they....are alright... Now then where's the... little one." suddenly he heard a loud banging noise coming from the woods. Graw simply shook his head "...that’s the sound of a being... who does not know his strength.” when Graw finally found Nerassus, the young demigod had thrown himself to the ground, feigning defeat from a squirrel pouncing upon his head. [COLOR="#008080"]"...I see you’re having… trouble”[/COLROR] Graw asked Nerassus

"Not trouble no." Nerassus looks up. "It's just my friend is a whole lot quicker than I expected him to be." He finally turns to look at the one he speaks to. Immediately he jumps up, blinking. "Oh! You're... uhm... you're Graw right? Gra....wissen? You made that supercool armor they're keeping in the castle?"

Graw nodded his head. "Yes I am...glad to see… You learn quick.” Graw pulled out a scroll. Come... I want to give you a lesson.” Graw then started walking to the beach.

Nerassus smiles and happily follows after Graw, his body practically bouncing with excitement as he follows after Graw, his feet cuffing into the soft sand to kick up small clods.

Both of them set along the beach looking into the distance. "It is a beautiful day… he then turned to the kid. "I’m going to teach you the most important lesson… Do you know everything?”

"Nope." Nerassus responds immediately. "Every day I learn something new. Every day I get a little bit better. Learn something new." He gazes out at the sea, smiling. "For example. Did you know that the secret ingredient in Nani's sweets is sea-water?"

Graw shook his head. "Next question... when do you stop learning?

"Uh..." He scratches his head curiously. [COLOR="#8B4513"]"Hrm... I don't know. Even P'ua says that he still has much to learn. And he is supersmart. A lot smarter than me. So... at least after I know as much as he does!"[/COLOR
    Not

Graw nodded his head. ”Very good... now for the final question...who knows what’s I don’t?”

"Momma?" He tilts his head. "Or maybe Poppa. They know lots. But they're not here... but you didn't know... which means that... I don't know." He sinks his head down in defeat.

Graw then raised his finger and tapped the kids head "You...” Graw then looks back to the see. "The most important lesson…that no one will ever know everything… and those… who think they do… Will often make mistakes… Some of them minor like when a mortal outsmarted Yir or… major...” Graw then sunk his head down. "...The Terrors live with a curse... because of a dumb mistake... I made...I can never live past that shame...”

The demigod blinks, scrunching his forehead as he tries to look up at the finger prodding his head. "Me? But that's." His voice trails off as he blinks in confusion. "Wait. Poppa got outsmarted by a mortal? I didn't know that! And the terrors..." He taps his chin. "Oh, those dinos? Not the coconut eaters. The other ones? The Masters say when they appeared they were violent and dangerous, attacking people at random. A lot of people are still superscared of them. But I didn't know they were cursed. What happened? Can I help?"

” The waters is already... helping them here...all I ask is for you… To respect them... Graw then look to the sky. ” I have one other thing.. to teach you… there may be a time where me... your mother... and all the other gods... will disappear...I ask you to simply stay strong...I know you will... make a better world...then how we left it”

"I will do my utmost." The young demigod offers a smile, joining Graw in looking up to the sky. "I'll protect everyone."
    _____

Graw was in the Gnaw wastes doing his documentation. ” I wonder if the locals... get confuse when... they hear my... name considering its... one letter off from Gnaw.” Just then Graw felt something. ” it looks like someone... Needs my help... Here…

Show

-20 AP to transform the Neanderthals into a new race, the Changelings
    +2 knowledge: They will know the forms of a wide array of creatures, even to places they haven’t been to.
    +2 mining: they can also imitate inorganic material like rocks, iron, steel, and others.
    +2 Architecture(pickax): they can hide in plain sight by clinging to the sides of buildings and camouflaging like an octopus. This only works with mortal made material.
    +2 heroism(Déjà vu): they will have a sense of honor and brotherhood and will respect outsiders.
    + 1 writing: when they morph into a being there able to understand the language and writing of that being.
    -2 unknown: why they can easily identify the look of the creature and change into it they have problems understanding their culture. This makes them pretty obvious when you question them sometimes.

_________

Tainted Lands

Graw Looked around this strange new lands, there were very few people around as such the Prehist could easily carve up a home here. ”This places perfect… Only problem… It’s a cross a... Dangerous sea I must tell the king this.”
    Last edited by Godzillarich; 2020-03-08 at 02:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Timorin had finished making his masks and having a delightful conversation with Avestra. When he felt it. A new race was being born. He had to find it and help its creation. But that's strange, where was it? Timorin didn't remember this continent. Perhaps it's new. This demanded some exploring.

He felt drawn towards a specific spot. Slowly but surely, keeping his eyes open for whatever wonders this new land held, he made his way towards What he suspected was going to be a battlefield. Quickly he found himself facing a massive arena. "What is this?"

The athletes turned around. This was a secret match, a few gladiators had had a spat, and in rage decided to enter the arena illicitly. One was about to deliver a death blow, a fatal strike to the heart, something totally prohibited in the actual Miracle Games. It was this rage that had given away their position for they were, unknowingly, paying homage to the war god. At first they were afraid, believing Dulnori might have caught them, but soon that fear turned to confusion. This voice was new, and it seemed not to know of something so essential. The men were wary, and held up their weapons. One spoke, “This is the Eternal Arena, given to us by the whirlwind. We were just, breaking it in, for next year. Who are you spirit, and what do you want? If you're trying to take Horizon gold we’ll have to cut you down, so be careful what you say.”

Timorin put on a brave smile and held up his hands. In truth though, he found himself rather afraid. He still doing it now if mortals could hurt him. He feared today he may find out. "Dear men. I mean no harm. I am a traveler who wields great wealth and power and comes from a far off land. I am not familiar with this place not it's customs. Who rules here? I would love to speak with them about this place."

The men thought a bit. He seemed to be friendly enough, and a few stories had been circulating about the wealth of the outside world. Apparently Elkhoof had heard of some far off castle, and was trying to gather more information. If this man was truthful, it could mean rewards and accolades for them. They agreed to put aside their differences, and a man replied. “The Horizon Tribe is ruled by King Elkhoof. His camp is not too far from here. We’ll take you to him. If you've got questions he and Braedan are the men to ask.” They led the god to the king’s tent, he and Braedan were looking over their maps of the world, sadly most ended at the Stonesthrow mountains.

“I’m telling you Braedan the reports are certain. This world is bigger and richer than we thought it was. And I want those riches here. Do you understand me.” Braedan thought for a moment, he had, in truth, his own dreams of exploration, but a lifetime of pious teachings had cultivated in him a wariness of things too radical. The dragon demanded balance after all, “Look Elky, I’m not against this. It’s just, we don’t know where to start. I’m probably the most loreminded shaman, and all I really know is that there’s some big islands to the west of us filled with tree demons. The dragon wouldn’t want us to just rush into this, not without at least some preparation. If we could only get a good way to keep our bearings with the steppe, so we wouldn’t just drift around randomly until we got lucky or died. If we had that then-” Braedan was interrupted by the visitors.

Timorin have heard enough to be intrigued. He stepped forward, not waiting for the men to introduce him or even speak. "My good men, I overheard some of your dilemma. I think I may have a solution. You see I'm a man from a far-off land who has exceptional wealth, power, and knowledge. I am well traveled but unfamiliar with this strange land. What if I told you, I could give you the ability to send out scouting parties to search the lands you need, and report back to you constantly without ever returning to you. They could scout for months without stopping and travel as far as imagined while constantly keeping you up to date on their discoveries. I can even prove this to be the case. All I would need to know is what God you worship."

Braedan replied, “Look at our banners, and you shall see the answer” He points to the Horizon flag, a stylized blue dragon breathing out a churning cloud of golden sand. “We worship the two gods, the eternal pair. Dulnori and Nestellbam, the sand and the snow, the summer and the winter, the sun and the stars, the hunter and the tanner, the world above and the world below. The Dragon and the Whirlwind. They are the gods of the Horizon Tribe and the Aeons, the gods of the steppe. No others have ever come here in 700 years. Now then, how do you intend to prove your claim? If you can, we shall certainly be in your debt. Or if riches are what you want, we can provide bronze and gold, we just need to divert an Aeon shipment,”
    “You know we can’t do that Braedan,”
    “Shut up Elky, I’m negotiating. What’ll it be?”

Timorin smiled at these words. What the perfect set up for a show. "Ah. I see this region has been properly neglected. I intend to fix that. So you have two gods as they are the only ones to have served you. Prepare to meet another." With that, Timorin claps and in a brilliant flash of light is coated in blood red full plate armor. Surrounding him is twelve masks floating at chest level in a circle. Six of a golden rhino face and six of a silver dragon. Each one bearing one of six emotions: fear, lust, hope, jealousy, grief or apathy. "I am the Mad God Timorin. Lord of war and drama and master of games. I offer you a gift of masks that will allow you to talk from any range. Test them if you doubt my honesty."

Elkhoof stood, and wordlessly took up the dragon mask of hope, Braedan took up its counterpart. The power behind them was real, and soon they welled up with emotion. The test was simple enough, Braedan walked off into distance, carried quickly by thorns and grass, and soon the Mad God’s veracity was proven. Elkhoof was highly pleased. “Timorin, you say these are gifts, but I cannot take them for free. You are my guest now, and honor demands I give you something in return, something befitting what you have allowed us to do. You say you are the god of games and drama, well I can provide for you then. How about an irregular match, at the Eternal Arena. I have the authority to make that call. Whatever game you desire, invite whoever you like.”

Timorin banished the special effects except for leaving the remaining masks floating motionless around him. "I would love to see what you have to offer. I'm not sure how you normally do things but a thought did occur to me. The people who claim the remaining masks will need to be trusted to be your scouts. If you have the means, we could create a labyrinth with a prize at the center to test their talent in such roles. I can provide an extra layer of difficulty." At those final words, five of Timorin's shadows were summoned into being behind him. "I promise no harm shall be done to any of your people by my agents."

Elkhoof marveled at these spirits,“Oh yes, I think that will do nicely. And I know exactly how to get that labyrinth built. Meet me at the Eternal Arena in a day.” Elkhoof left his tent to perform the customary journey. He walked over to a hidden spot near the arena, the portal to Dulnori’s new home, yet to be tested for the games. He took up the divine device, thought for a moment, and then began to yell.

-

Dulnori had been having a pleasant time in the tar pit, trying to sleep away his troubles, when he heard ElkhoofÂ’s deafening cry, "WAKE UP.” He tried to ignore it. “WAKE UP,” There it was again. “WAKE UP ALREADY. YOU'RE NOT DEAD YET.” Dulnori lifted his head out the oil,

What do you want, I’m trying to get over this stupid indigestion. Turns out rotting tiger meat hits you hard if you’ve never tried it before.

“We’ve got company over, and I need you to make a maze. A big one. The most complex thing you can think of,” suddenly the sand of the arena solidified. Vast columns of stone erupted out of its base, forming impenetrable walls. The light dimmed around the arena, making it all the harder to see the right path.

Alright, I’m going back under.

“Hang on a minute. I need you to grab our most courageous men. Put a timer on them so they don’t have to walk back home,” all across the steppe the most ironhearted men and women felt the familiar pull of their god. They arrived prepared, knowing they had been chosen to compete in a test of bravery and wit.

What’s next Elky, a foot massage, pedicure?

“You don’t get to call me that, and you don't know that I’m going to ask for something else,”

When you get like this you always wish for three things. No more no less.

“I need you to put these masks in the center. Make them fancy. Do that thing you do with the glowing golden energy and the winds of fate and the flawless dream emeralds and the-”

I already told you it’s called the Dulnori treatment. Now I’m going back to sleep, and don’t wake me up or I swear I’ll burn the steppe to the ground in a torrent of perfect fire.” As Dulnori sinks into the blackness the eyes of the masks take on a beautiful green aspect. They are imbued with Dulnori’s signature power, and now possess the capacity to see past the dirt and stone, to find the diamonds in the rough.

When the competitors arrived Dulnori’s work was complete. The arena had taken on a temporary maze structure, and Elkhoof was sitting in his typical chair. “Well then, what do you think? The stage for the Timorin games is set. You can take Dulnori’s chair for this,” he motions to the golden seat behind him.

How kind of you,” Timorin smiles, before gesturing for his shadows to descend into the maze and taking his seat.

-

The next night the followers of Timorin dream this as they sleep.

“Ladies and gentleman, we’re here flying above the Eternal Arena to comment on a special out of season game. I’m Ironclaw reporting in for your nightly viewing of horizon life and culture on the Steppe Dream Network. Praise be to mother Su’ule.”

“Now what we have here is something truly special, the first time a foreigner has ever decided to come to a game, and what’s more the games are in his honor. Now you may question the legality of this, but when pressed for comment the rhino replied, and I quote, 'Do what you want I’m sleeping for a week.’ And if that’s not an okay to go wild with reckless abandon; well folks I just don’t know what is.”

“The competitors are gearing up now to enter this maze. Looks like some random flailing. I forget humans can’t see in the dark sometimes. They’re getting their bearings, ah ha, they’ve noticed the gleaming prize at the center. Our competitors are converging from all directions. Uyellic is cautiously hugging the wall trying not to trip in the pale blackness, but he’s sacrificing his lead. Intorra is rushing past a corner, and what is this? He’s come across the first of the spectres, the spirit of fear. It’s changing into a spider. Looks like this spectre doesn’t know Intorra, a puny spider won’t spook the blueriver bands champion … and Intorra is running away.”

“Rivals Sagran of the razorgrass band and Talago of the mushroom picker band appear to have ended up at the center of the maze at the exact same time. It looks like we have our winners- but what’s this? I don’t believe it folks. Sagran and Talago are fighting over who gets to keep the whole prize. Even with the masks ripe for the taking, they just can’t get over each other. This is just sad folks, Uyellic has started grabbing the masks, and they haven’t even noticed. The jealousy spectre must have something to do with this … no, no, it’s asleep. I didn’t even think that was possible folks.”

-

The competition soon ended. The champions claimed their prizes, and the losers claimed the bitter taste of defeat. “Well how was that Timorin? I enjoyed it. Poor Intorra though, he’ll never live this down.”

Timorin turned first to his shadows that had come back to his side. “Your need here has been fulfilled. Return back to the Tainted Lands and to your work.” Timorin then stands and bows to his hosts. “This has been a wonderful experience, expect me to return. Is there anything else I can do to be of service to my wonderful hosts?

“Nothing as of yet, but I have been planning on making certain, renovations, in this place. When the time comes, I’ll make my prayer.”

Timorin gives one more bit of advice before leaving. “I feel our people may be able to work together in the future. If the time comes when you are looking for allies from far off lands, the masks will be able to allow you to communicate with the rest of my people in addition to your own.

Spoiler: Help
    Show
    +4 to the creation of the masks
    +2 Fortune: Looking through the eyes of the masks grants the wearer enhanced vision. They shall see the gleaming riches beneath the earth clearly, and be wealthy men indeed.
    +2 Ambition: The masks of hope look gold to a mage. They fill the bearer with the courage needed to make their hopes a reality.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Vultur, Varpier - Inside the Empire of Holy Fire - Being Lost can be Better than Being Found:

Still clutching the flute that was given to them so long ago by that kind shadow little Vultur was among a family that venture out into the wider world to find the prophet that was spreading the message of the Divine Owl. For most of the little boy's immediate family choose to join the grand mission. Not like they understood what was happening too much other than the fact that they were going to be living in these hot bare land for a long time.

It was really boring out of the forest. No trees to climb, nothing good to eat, and not a lot of rivers to swim in. There were new weird creatures like big lizards and 'scorpos' but Vultur was told to stay away from those things. For a child like themselves it was a mostly boring time, the only really relief coming from the elders telling stories, the occasional visit to the ocean, and sneaking away from camp to be able to spot some of the harder to find creatures away from everyone else (though Vultur was told to not go exploring here alone).

Often at night Vultur would walk away from the others, and take out their flute and try their best to play it. No one scolded them for this.

Boring days turned into weeks, almost forcing the little Vultur to wander off farther and farther away from the others to find anything interesting. The elders would scold little Vultur for this harshly, telling them that they more than anyone should know the dangers of these lands, but stopped chiding the child so much after they saw how much these words hurt them and how little it did to actually stop them.

One day while their family was resting for the day little Vultur traveled far away from camp, so far that they could no longer see where they started from. Step after step little Vultur looked for something interesting, perhaps another one of those tiny foxes or maybe they could see a bird fly down and catch a rodent again? After what seemed like an hour the child saw something they had not seen in weeks... trees! Actual trees! Far out into the distance the unmistakable sight of trees was there.

Vultur ran as fast as their legs allowed towards the welcomed sight, keeping in mind where their family's camp was well. As they passed through the stark line between the forest and the dry lands they came from they felt the air change drastically, a relief after being in the sun for so long.

However this forest was not their home, it felt different than their home. Yet that just made them more curious about this place.

Spoiler: The Lost Forest
    Show

There was a strange feeling of somberness to the air hear, the trees were quite, and few creatures strode out of their hiding places. Yet it was still a welcomed sight, and the shade felt so much better on little Vultur's skin.

For hours the little raven wandered the woods. Looking at sparkling streams of water, new birds and animals of all sorts, and the silent reddish trees. Eventually the light began to fade and Vultur started to walk back to the campsite outside these woods. But...

They couldn't find their way back.

As the light was just starting to fade mists seemed to leak from the ground, slowly rising towards the air as the sun's light retreated. It looked ominous. Vultur did not want to be here when it was pitch black and filled with strange mist. They ran, just trying to run back towards the edge of this forest.

Step after step they ran, their heart beating as fast as possible, cries ringing out of their lips as they pleaded for help. But there was no one, and they were still in these strange woods.

Yet even as they collapsed onto the ground amid mud and rising mist, crying in fear, and unsure of what to do; they heard a voice just ahead of them. "Nyeh? Someone there? Are you alright?"

Spoiler: Instantly Vultur looked up towards the noise. Seeing...
    Show

... what appeared to be a tall humanoid-like deer with pitch black fur.

Vultur's eyes did not stop staring, they were both afraid and mesmerized looking at this thing. It's eyes brightened as they excitedly said.

"Ah, so your a child! Now now, don't just go staring at me! I'm a perfectly normal talking deer-man."

"Well now that I say it out-loud, I suppose that it is a little strange." It rubbed it's chin with what appeared to be smooth human hands, thinking. "Hmm, Vultur do you know where your parents are? Will you be able to get out of here safely?" Vultur was so distraught that they did not even realize that they had yet to introduce themselves.

Clutching the flute Vultur said "No..."

The deer-man's eyes seemed to consider the child's words. "Nyeh, I suppose you could stay in my home till they come looking for you. I have an extra room to spare and Neiu, my daughter, would love the extra company."

Vultur just stared at them.

The deer man rubbed their neck "Nyehhhh, Vultur child might you be getting hungry? I am, I had a krähe pie being baked, freshly caught by little Neiu. You can have some too." Almost as if on cue Vultur's stomach growled.

Vultur slowly walked over to the deer-man. "Who are you?" They asked, giving up on looking for a way out for now.

"Eh, me? I'm Varpier, lord and guardian of these here Lost Woods."

"Lost Woods?"

"Nyeeeeh, that's something of a long story, I'll tell you it sometime after diner."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kinda of a nice chapter involving Varpier; however there were a few things in here that if looked at closely could hint at a nastier side as to how things are playing out.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-03-08 at 02:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Timorin: 9AP 3BP

Gnaw Wastes

Timorin was told to return tomorrow to view the games and ceremony that would be put on in his honor. The obvious choice for how to spend that time was to visit the new species that had brought him there. As he wandered towards the new beings he found himself fascinated by the creatures. They could change shape seemingly at will. This was fascinating. Timorin hoped to see them in action. With a wave he began shifting them more, testing the limits of what they could do. Soon they were in completely new shapes, truly deadly and dangerous shapes.

Show
    Help:
    +2 Drama: The changelings can combine traits of different creatures into one form which they can take. Ei: One could take the horns of a deer, the body of a snake, the wings of an eagle, and the head of a lion or something weird like that.
    +2 War: The changelings are never unarmed and are quite proficient with their primary form’s natural weapons
    -2 fear: Each creature has a primary form that they change into most frequently and easily, when stressed or afraid they have a harder time shifting into anything else.

The Mad God's Masquerade

Foementer Way, Inadriel
    Finally through with meeting with other gods and exploring, it was time for Timorin to make his way back to his peoples and give them the gifts he made them. First he would go to the city of Foementer Way*.

In the empire of Inadriel, Timorin called upon the leader of his city for nearly the first time since it had been deemed his.

“Lord Timorin, what do I have to thank for the honor of your presence?” Said the Marquess of the city when Timorin appeared in the capitol building.

“I have been absent too long from here and as it turns out there may be a period drawing near where us gods will fall back into a deep sleep and be unable to help. So I have come to do what I can to help guide my people in my absence.” Timorin took a seat and waited for the Marquess to do the same.

“Lord Timorin, I hope you are not displeased with our achievements. We are doing quite well and are a major hub for trade.”

“Nothing like that dear Marquess, I am merely here to offer a gift and some advice.” Timorin paused here and watched the Marquess visibly relax… slightly. When the Marquess nodded, he continued, summoning six masks bearing the face of a fox showing different emotions onto a nearby table. “These are for you to distribute as you please. They will allow the wearers to keep into contact with one another over any distance as well as with the rest of my people throughout the world. They have resources and knowledge that can serve you and this city, though it is worth noting that most of them are loyal to me and few of them are loyal to Alatadriel. You may serve her best you can but these masks are to help my people first and foremost.”

The Marquess nods his head slowly, absorbing everything the god says. “Do you have any guidance for me in distributing them?”

Timorin shrugs. “We will all be greatly benefitted the more the wearers see. Perhaps you could make a council with some of the most well travelled merchants in the city. Also, I told the god Avestra that we would help their Dive Owl disciples. They are to be made safe in the city and protected as much as possible from any angry members of the empire. Take these other masks to be given to them when they come through.” Timorin summons up the six Avestra masks and then he was gone.

*Standing name for now. May change once I discuss with demon how he has been naming things like this

The Tainted Lands

Timorin returned to the mayor of the village in the tainted lands and said nothing but “Bring your people to the well, I come with salvation” before going there himself.

Once everyone had gathered at the well, Timorin summoned eighteen masks and had them circle the well slowly. “I know what you have been through as a people. The shadow that fell upon this land was great. You are isolated and weak and need aid and knowledge to come back to where you once were. I have the power you seek. I have people throughout the world who have information and resources that they are willing to share if you do your best to serve them in exchange. If you take these gifts, you shall become part of the Mad God’s Cult and they shall protect you and serve you. These masks shall give you the power to take on a new identity and go out and create a greater life for yourselves.”

Six masks were raised above Timorin’s head as he spoke. They were plain and simple masks, just like that of the god Chern. “We have the masks of Chern. Embrace the decay of this life you have led for it can bring you into a new and better existence.”

The first six masks were traded for another six. These took the form of a dog whose snout was bound with chains. “We have the masks of Enheduanna. Your people have subjugated your emotions for too long. These shall help you devote yourselves to your new people.”

The last six took the spotlight. They appeared to be that of a man made of stone. “We have the masks of Vreyalas. This new path you shall walk will help forge a greater community. You shall melt down the scraps of your failed town and set out to forge something mightier than any of you have ever been apart of.”

Finally Timorin let the masks fall to the ground at the base of the well. “There shall be no punishment if you do not partake in these gifts but you will likely come to regret the choice for there is much reward in staying connected and knowing the world. Now take these up and spread out to the other villages throughout this land and spread the good word.” Then he was gone.

The Maddening Marsh

Timorin appeared at the center of one of his nomadic tribes inside the Maddening Marsh as a giant frog. One of them drew back a bow with which to shoot him but was stopped by an elder. “It is him, he has returned. He has grown large in his time away.” After a quick pause, the rest realized what the elder meant. They began to bow but the frog, which was the size of a wild boar, shook its head.

“Stand my people. You are one of my oldest and most loyal groups and I seek to bring you a gift.” Eighteen more masks appeared. Six were a fairly featureless face with stars spotted throughout. Six were of a hooded figure whose features were hard to make out. The final six were actually the profile of two different faces looking in opposite directions. “These masks shall connect you to each other but also to my other followers throughout the globe. You shall share knowledge and once able, resources. They shall help teach you new magics and techniques to build your strength and your tribe. Spread yourselves through this land. Grow and prosper in my next absence. I have brought you the masks of Opulon and Solomo to help guide your way into this new time as well as the mask of Ymon-Thal to help strengthen the connection you have always had with the thin barrier between life and death. Now go forth and make a great society. If you choose to accept these gifts, you shall now formally be a part of the Cult of the Mad God.” Then the frog made a massive leap into the air before suddenly vanishing.

Cult of the Mad God:

Timorin appeared in the clearing where they kept the Lucent Crown and the Scroll of the Path of Emotion. They had sense built a large amberis pedestal to house the sacred items. It took no time at all for the citizens of the island to gather around him. As they did, a single Tongue steps forward. “Lord Timorin, my people do not properly belong here as none of us have shed blood for the cause. These pygmies have fought and died on behalf of the crown’s prophecy and even the terrors have offered up a worthy sacrifice to aid you. I am afraid but I would like to offer myself to be sacrificed in whatever way you see fit so that my people can have contributed to the cause of this land.”

Timorin stared at the dinosaur person for a long moment. “I appreciate your dedication to the cause and shall take you up on your offer for the last sacrifice did not quite do for my power what I sought it to do. When I conclude here, if you are still willing, there is a project that I need a little more power for but it will strengthen you all. I am going to be sleeping soon and I know not how long it will be before I wake up. I can promise you that your sacrifice will not be in vain and that I will offer up some of myself for the cause as well. I will do this to protect your people in my absence.”

The tongue shook but nodded as he took his place back in the crowd. Soon the entire island was gathered and Timorin gave his most important speech of the day.

“My most devout of followers. I have come to offer you a gift to both test something within myself and aid you.” Twenty four masks appear and circle the gathering crowd. Six which resemble Timorin’s own face, six which resemble a mix between a cobra and a dragon, six which resemble a worn traveller with a hood and mask, and finally six which resemble the sun with a face. He also held out the map, opening it to show the gathered crowd. “These masks are linked to one another as well as to this map. What they see will be added to the map. The masks will also allow you to communicate with any other mask over any distance. The discussions will occur within range of this map so as long as you keep it on this island, any discussions done by these masks shall be done on this island. You shall serve as my nexus.

“I have spent much time handing out various masks to different groups. Some of which are enemies, some of which are allies, and some of which are now part of our very own family. You are to build a sealed container for this map, something small and easily disguised. Perhaps place it in this pedestal. Keep its existence secret for as long as you can as it will serve you greatly. Keep watch over this clearing but in a way in which you may remain hidden. The enemies may report their movements but not if they know we are listening. For the allies, share with them information but always make sure you get at least as much as you give. For the ones joining our true family, aid them however you can.”

Timorin pauses to let his words sink in and make eye contact with as many as possible. Not because he feels it was a hard concept but because he wants to make sure he gives them time to take a mental breath and it is a tad more dramatic than prattling on non stop.

“Now for your masks. The masks of Timorin are to be spread to different islands to make communication easier between you all. The masks of Su’ule are to be given to masters of the other great schools of magic. The masks of Kahar-Djinn and Yir are to be given to masters of each form of divine path. These masters shall serve as a council to teach our members, whether they be here or anywhere. I know that you do not yet have masters for most forms of magic or path. Save the masks for until you do. Seek them out and bring them here to serve on your counsel of teachers. I shall be able to bring one more gift before I fall back to sleep. Use what knowledge you have and the resources this provides to strengthen our people. There is no longer a need to hide our presence. We will not mindlessly slaughter now that we have the resources to improve ourselves. Only those seeking to test their worthiness shall wear the crown.”

Timorin thought for a long moment about if there was any other message he wanted to give. Seeing none, he added, “Thank you for your service and thank you dear tongue for your sacrifice.” Knowing the job would get done, Timorin vanished.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 AP to sacrifice one Tongue in exchange for 3 BP

Ending numbers should be:8 AP 6BP
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-03-15 at 06:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Ymon-Thal, 14/50 AP, Yith, Boa Jungle

"You have done well for yourselves and your people", Thal said to the assembled council.

"Yeah, look how many there are of you!" Ymon said, gesturing at the people close to the Landing, most still preoccupied with greeting their new demigoddess.

"All because of you, great Ymon-Thal", said the round woman who represented the Disciples of Thal, her expression not quite as humble as her words. As she spoke up again she looked slightly nervous. "What are your new plans for us?"

Thal met her eyes. "We have many plans, far too many for this meeting or your lifetime. But our power is fading, I suspect we will need to rest again soon."

"I'm not that tired, I just need to nap for a century or two and I'll be fine."

As usual, Thal ignored his other self's interjection. "Thal-Verys will remain to guide you but she is of the Passing and will need help to enact our will in this world. You are to find the best and brightest of the Yith. Sorcerers, warriors, path walkers, thieves, leaders and tricksters. Find us ten people of great skill in as many areas as possible." He paused and looked at the council. They were confused — but they would obey.

Ymon gestured towards the ground and the packed soil started to change, eventually resembling a crude map, centered on the Landing. None of the council had seen their world from above but the dots and lines in the ground symbolizing houses, mountains and rivers were familiar enough. Ymoun crouched next to the map. "Where is it now? Uhm... Ah! There it is!" He pointed at a spot deep in the Boa Jungle.

"Wh-what is there, great Ymon-Thal?" asked one of the Twin God's Own representatives in the council.

"That is where you are to send the people you find. We will meet them there when they arrive." Thal's eyes swept across the faces of the four council members. "Farewell, Council of Yith. We will not meet again." His eyes narrowed as he looked at the Disciple of Thal. "Except for... well, we will see about that."

"Bye, bye!" Ymon said as the Twin God faded away.

"Oooh... who do you think they'll pick?" Ymon asked as they reappeared in the Passing.

Thal shrugged. "You do realize that you do not actually know any of the candidates?"

"Sure, but..." Ymon began before being interrupted as they sensed another deity attempting to alter reality. "Huh, what's that?" He paused. "Oh, I see. That's pretty neat."

"I suppose there is little use for reminding you that we have things to do?"

"Just a moment..." Ymon-Thal's power reached out and added to Su'ule's. "Theeeere we go."

Spoiler: Help for Su'ule
    Show

Ymon-Thal assist Su'ule in giving life (+2 Life) to the new species.

It probably won't bite me, Thal-Verys told herself. She had left the Yith for another mission and was missing them already. The eyes and expectations of thousands was nothing compared to this.

"Gsplx", said the fox-eared baby. The demigoddess of souls managed not to jump. Speaking with Nerassus had been bad enough — thank Nestellbam she hadn't made him cry — but at least he could speak properly. And most likely wouldn't bite her.

She took a deep breath. Best to just get it over with.

"Rosalin Ravenhold, daughter of Alatadriel. I am Thal-Verys, Shepherd of the Passing and sent here by Ymon-Thal, God of Life and Death, to give you a gift." Thal-Verys stretched out her hand and summoned the gift; a small sphere of glass, containing two sparks of light chasing each other around. "A life and a death, to be used as you see fit." She placed the sphere in the baby's lap.

"Szlpt", said the baby as the demigoddess vanished in front of her.

Spoiler: Help for Alatadriel
    Show

Ymon-Thal assist Alatadriel in making a demigoddess, gifting Rosalin a life (+2 Life) and a death (+ 2 Death). Each is usable once to save a mortal who should have died (they're only saved from one specific death, afterwards they can die of some other cause) or to kill a mortal who should have lived.

EDIT: Maybe I should point out that Ymon-Thal's gift requires understanding and intent to use, baby Rosey won't accidentally kill the first mortal who pisses her off.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2020-03-08 at 03:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

"Valrion"? - Gnaw Lands - Proclamation:

In response to the incomprehensible spell that the monstrous goddess spread across the land, a titanic pillar of light appeared within sight of the goddess. It's form was indistinguishable, luminous, yet somewhat humanoid. Whatever it was, it was so tall as to reach the clouds and so bright as to make it seem like a second sun was here among the Gnaw lands.

Spoiler: Pretty close picture.
    Show

It just gazed at the land beneath it for a long while, moving it's 'head' to change where it was gazing. Then it spoke with a voice that moved the clouds with their volume, and brought waves of light across the land.

"I come in the name of the One Above All. By their Mercy shall you be spared, and by their Love shall you find war no longer with those of the south, but only promised kinship. For Light Above welcomes all, as it shall show you today."

It's radiance silently poured the hidden voice of Yir from above, changing the spell of Su'ule in subtle ways. The changes were obvious enough to see at least.

The titan began to fade away with it's already vague form breaking apart into tiny raindows that ran towards the sky.

"Know that I will return, when days are dark, to unite this land. Fear me, love me, think what you will. I must return by Will Above..."

Show
    +2 Giant: By the power of Valrion the Changlings are kin to giants, the greatest expression of this being that any Changling/Giant coupling has a 50/50 chance of the child being either a giant or a changling. Those humans with giant blood may also on rare occasions lead to the child being a giant rather than a changling.

+2 Majesty: When people interact with a changling a person's attitude towards them shifts unusually fast. This can incur trust quickly with those they visit or lead to accidental tragedy real quick when deception is caught.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-03-08 at 02:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Varpier, Timorin - Land of the Mischief Maker - Shady Dealings:

On the winds a shadow passed over the lands of the god Timorin, barely noticeable hidden beneath cloud. It laid there high above the ground observing the lands below, waiting for it's moment to speak. It did not have to wait long, for the god it was waiting for patiently wander under it's cloud within the hour of it's arrive. Had Timorin noticed the mage...? Well, better than being surprised he reasoned.

Moving from the cloud above to a nearby tree of the god, the little shadow left the confines of the true-shade and entered physicality again. Looking at the god it said with an almost child-like voice: "Hello Mr. God-Timorin! I'm here to grant you a wish! Lucky you!"

Spoiler: What they look like.
    Show

Timorin turns and raises an eyebrow. "A wish? What do you have that might interest a god?"

This made the mage giggle "I can do things silly! You can't do everything, right? Basically all you can do is sit around with all your kinda-power till you can do things again! That's why the dinos die for you, right?" It giggled again, amused at what it said. "I'll do something for you that you mean to do, but don't want to waste your time-whatever doing."

Timorin tilts his head and considers this for a moment. "There is one issue that I haven't been able to deal with. If you could do this for me, then I may be able to offer you help in exchange. Depends on what you ask for. I have many people who worship me but they are seperated by great distances, primarily ocean. I would like a way for them to be able to effectively travel and trade between these lands."

The mage-shadow-child thing went "Is that all? Sure thing Mr. God-Timorin!"

Jumping up to stand on it's two legs the little guy started to stretch it's back. As it was doing so it said "Do you need the trees on this island?"

Timorin looks around. "They are very useful. We can provide you with metal if you need? Also there are a number of ships around the islands whose owners never returned for them if you would like to dismantle them. If you must take some trees then we may be able to deal without them for a time. What is your price little sprite?"

It put it's arm behind it's back, stating as if it's just now thinking about it. "I don't know... maybe... can you keep a secret Mr. God-Timorin?"

Timorin smiles broadly and kneels down, cupping his ear. "I can keep many secrets for my friends."

A overly-large grin spread across the mage's face "Thanks Mr. Timorin!" They said as they wandered real close to the god, whispering of dark deeds and fear. "Will I be safe?"

Timorin thinks for a long moment. "This does certainly sound like my style. I wonder though if you could truly pull it off. My lands accept all kinds. If you can do a service to my people, they would do what they can to protect you."

The shadow with empty eyes looked right at the god and said "And you?"

Timorin nodds. "I will not always be around but so long as you do not hurt my people, you will have nothing to fear from me. Though you will make many a powerful enemy and I cannot promise you true safety, just as I do not promise my own people such."

"Better than nothing!" Said the shady mage, full of cheer again. "Hmm, you said I cannot use the wood from here. Guess that means I'll just have to bring some from home! Don't worry Mr. Timorin, I'll be back to grant your wish!"

The shadowy mage then left, it's form melting into the tree's shade before it teleported away.

It was over an hour before the mage returned, a huge series of THUD's proclaiming it's arrival at a beach.

At the site where the mage returned was a truly astonishingly large amount of red lumber, black stone, and other materials in a large pile. It was only barely organized and plenty of it was thrown around from the arrival, but the shadowy figure was standing atop the pile of black stone. Timorin and any of the other mages recognized it instantly, it was magicite! A ridiculous amount of magicite.

"Nyehehe! I've returned as promised to grant your wish Timorin!" It began to speak in the language in magic, full sentences, non-stop. Word after word was spoken but a summery of it could be "All you parts come together, your to be ships for me! The wood shall be placed board by board, with bands of metal to hold this firm. The sails that push through these blue oceans shall know how to grasp even dead air. Souls who's live owe me still in this cause you shall serve, keep these ships afloat and above any waters that you find."

The lumber cut itself into pieces and the metal began to be stripped off bars like leather strips, and the sails that were thrown in a big pile flew into the air like a flock of birds as they reached for the ships.

At the end of this endeavor ten large red ships were made, whose sails almost begged to be let loose and whose decks seemed to glow with an inner luminosity.

Satisfied, tired, and sitting in a pile of now worthless trash, the mage looked back at the now somewhat numerous onlookers, trying to see the god.

Timorin stepped forward. "That was a mighty display and this is a mighty fleat. Are there any other tricks to these? My people are not experienced with much more than the small ships they use to get from one island to another."

The shade gave a smile, it's jagged mouth smoothing somewhat. "Nyeeeh. The ships should move almost on their own, if told what direction they should go they should move as commanded. If the ship goes somewhere enough times, it should know how to get back there. The only thing I can say is respect them, for to displease these ships will lead them to breaking down into ruin. Respect and fun are what are used to repair these for the most part, not wood or metal. Though I suppose you could force them to move quickly when needed by tugging on them like a normal boat."

Timoirn smiles. "Then these are a mighty gift indeed and we shall offer what protection we can, should you need it."

"Nyehehehe! My thanks Mr. Timorin. Now if I might ask for one more thing.... I'm looking to raise a family, see, and I'm looking for those that are like me. Unloved, full of mana. Might you have any kids like that I can raise?"

Timorin thinks for a long moment. "There is a small child in a village in the Tainted Lands. He is unloved as his mother recently abandoned him and he took to pushing other children down wells. I don't believe anyone would notice if he were to join your family. Though if you were inclined to have some help, I'm sure someone on the island would be inclined to learn your ways in exchange for some years of service. We could use someone with your talents here."

The little mage nodded forward and backwards thinking, proclaiming "Sure! Thanks Mr. Timorin! I'll take your friend with me as well and teach them what I know. But I get to keep their memories of me, my home, my children, and other nasty things that can let them recognize me, my home, or other things of the like!"

And with that a deal was stuck with two children leaving at dusk that day.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Sunset Forrest

Avestra settled on a branch in the form of a falcon, watching Juniper venture towards the outer bounds of the forest. He was as fragile as any mortal, but there was a lot of potential, if he could adapt to the outside world. It would be a steep learning curve.

At that moment, she heard something rustling in the bushes below.

Timorin was admiring his masks laid out in front of him. Nearly a hundred of them total in various emotions. Unaware of the situation around him. When he finishes his last one he lets out a satisfied sigh before trying to put them in a pile, constantly knocking it over in the process.

"That's quite the collection," Avestra said, settling on a branch just above Timorin's head. "What are they for?"

Timorin looks up at Avestra with a straight face. " I've been feeling... Strangely recently. I've been wondering about how you gods have gotten so attached to your mortals. So I thought I would give it a try. This is a gift"

"They can be fascinating to watch," Avestra said, tilting her head. "Destructive, but fascinating. I still don't understand everything they do."

Timorin smiles. "Yeah they can kill eachother alot. But what are don't you understand, oh mighty bird."

"There is a boy on the cusp of becoming a man going out there to teach the ways of a people that barely accepted him. A Crow woman took him as her own, even though they shared no blood relation, sacrificing the chance to bear her own offspring. It is the instinct of every animal to further their own kind, it makes no sense to me."

Timorin thought back to playing with Nera. "I think I can understand that. Don't you care about the trees? Did you sire them?"

"I care for the forest as a whole. Individual trees will come and go, as all living things must."

"So then do you further your own kind? I've only heard tales of you furthering mortals and the trees."

"We are not of the same stuff as them. We did not evolve over the millennia. Despite how some over there act," Avestra said, pointing a wing towards the north-west. She tilted her head in thought. "Perhaps, though, I can see what you mean."

"So what is the boy going to be doing?"

"I have sent him out to teach the way of the Crow to the tallheads. If he can learn to live in harmony with nature, then so can the rest of them."

Timorin nodds slowly. "Right... The tallheads... I know what that means... Like... Giraffes and stuff..."

"That is what the Crow call the most numerous species of human."

"Ah I see." Timorin looks in the direction they were talking about. "That's the Empire right? That shouldn't be too bad as long as he teaches that Alatadriel is above all others."

Avestra made a noise that in some universe might have been a laugh. "The Crow do not think much of the Fox, for what little they know of her."

"I'm not sure many people do. I helped them out once though and in exchange I am in charge of a city."

Avestra raised an eyebrow, or at least would have if she'd had them. "Do the Fox's troops have access to this city?"

Timorin shrugged. "I was told that I can pretty much be left on my own if I give tribute of gypsum. I don't even think they have any guards or troops stationed there. Theoretically they probably could come if they wanted to but for the most part no."

"Perhaps your city could provide sanctuary for this new faith, if the wrath of the Fox should fall upon them? I would be willing to repay the favour, when the time is right."

"I think that would be a wonderful idea. It would be very entertaining. I would happily give them sanctuary. Would you like me to give them some of these masks I've made too?" Timorin holds up a mask that looks a tad bit like Avestra.

"I'm honoured. You're a better craftsmen than the Crow."

Timorin smiles proudly. "I shall leave them with the Marquess along with instructions to take care of your people."

"Thank you."

Show

Help with the creation of the Owl Faith.
    +2 Drama for Timorin providing help keeping the Owl's safe from the Empire in Foementer Way. They shall be hidden and given sanctuary.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The sun is rising on the western coast of Axia. Sitting on the water is the culmination of a massive project. A vast fleet of towering treasure ships, built out of the sturdiest wood in the western border lands. Huge and mostly empty, designed to hold as much cargo as possible for the return trip. It was a grueling process. The Steppe people have no special knowledge of the sea, and have only made small river crafts before this. But they are a persistent people, and of course, had the aid of Dulnori, who never does anything half-baked. The Golden Fleet is finally prepared, and 5,000 of the Steppes bravest men are ready, to venture forth in search of new horizons.

-

“This is it,” said Braedan, “Everything is ready, the ships, the men, the masks, the supplies. It’s all finally finished, I can hardly believe it.”
    “Yes,” said Elkhoof, “It really is something. Braedan, I’m expecting you to bring back anything and everything you see fit. It’s our duty after all to collect the world’s treasures and bring them to the Aeons. Gold and silver are fine enough, but we can’t be content with just what we can mine. Other lands must have their own metals, and their own knowledge. We must gather it all up to be used and preserved. With this fleet we finally have that chance.”
    “I wish you could come too. You of all people deserve to see the world. And it’ll be lonely without you.”
    “A king must always stay to guard the people. And besides, my scribes will be ready to record all the information you send back. We’ll write a tale so grand and bold, that all who hear it will know what you’ve found and done. I’ll be sure of that. And I’ll be waiting for you here, always remember that.”

The two men embrace, and Braedan joins with the crew as captain. The sails are raised, and golden wind begins to blow, Dulnori’s blessing upon them. Braedan begins his work, commanding the beasts of the deep to grant the ship safe passage, and to aid them in treacherous waters. The ships cast off, and the King looks on, until the fleet finally sails past the horizon into the unknown. So begins…

THE VOYAGE OF THE GOLDEN FLEET:

Spoiler: Action:
    Show
    12 AP/8 DC. Influence 100k people. The fleet right now only has the initial 5,000, but soon more passengers may arrive, so I’m spending for that.

+2 Ambition: This represents the hope of the Horizon tribe, and a great quest for fame and glory, so Dulnori put his all into the boats’ construction. They are spacious and very sturdy, capable of taking a vast amount of punishment.
    +2 Fortune: Dulnori set the ships’ sails on the winds of fate. They shall have the wealth they seek, and the wind shall carry them safely across the world. Dulnori opens up the winds to certain appropriate gods, for his skill in seas is only so much. Grawisson, Petr, Kahar-Djin, Chern, and Timorin may act on this action. The last one was on Elkhoof and Braedan’s request.
    Last edited by flyinglemur; 2020-03-11 at 02:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Juniper, the Palace of Imperator Thrang, Al-Sinai

Juniper straightened his new robe, glancing furtively from side to side as he lined up with the other pilgrims at the entrance to the palace. He still didn't feel entirely comfortable in enclosed spaces, having lived most of his life under the open sky, nor with so many bodies pressed so close to his own. It made him feel hemmed in. Trapped.

The diplomatic pass and robes which Avestra had provided had been surprisingly effective at getting him past the first set of gates, but now the crowd was barely moving. As they inched forward, Juniper realised that they were only passing by the front entrance, leaving their offerings in a pile, before being funnelled back to the city outside.

"Gift?" a guard asked as Juniper reached the entrance. He nodded, watching helplessly as the wooden box was taken from his hands and placed with the rest, ready to be taken into the palace. The young prophet could only hope that this was what Avestra had intended.

~

On the edge of the party, Ashkan hovered by the great pile of gifts, regarding them with a curious eye. There was far more here than any ten-day-old infant could ever have asked for, and so it would be the right of servants such as himself to divide up the leftovers. Perhaps if he got there first, he might find a pretty trinket or two worth selling.

The gift that caught his eye, however, was a small, carved wooden box which was shaking from side to side. Ashkan knelt down and picked up the box, weighing it in his hands. Whatever was inside, it must weigh almost nothing.

He glanced over his shoulder, but all the guests seemed occupied with the party. No one would mind a quick peek, surely?

Ashkan prised open the box and then let out a shriek as he saw a pair of red, glowing eyes. He tried to close the lid, but whatever was inside was too strong. It burst out of his arms and partygoers screamed as hundreds of ravens exploded from the box, filling the room with flapping wings and snapping beaks. From the torrent emerged a single albino crow, which shot like a dart towards the infant Rosalin. There was a flash and then, as suddenly as they had appeared, the birds were gone.

Rosalin began to cry in Magus' arms, who soothed the baby with a gentle lullaby while an assessment of the damage was made. In all, only minor injuries had been sustained and the sole fatality was that of a cream tart which had been dropped in the mayhem. It wouldn't be until much later that the small, crescent-shaped scar just above Rosalin's heart was found, and much later still that the full ramifications of this would be understood.

Show
    Avestra hinders Rosalin with 2+ nature and +2 birds by piercing the young demigod's soul with a small fragment of Avestra's perch. If Alatadriel's action fails and Rosalin drinks Petr's potion before her first birthday, then the shard of divine wood will shrivel and disappear with no apparent effect.

If the action succeeds, however, then the small fragment of Avestra's perch will be permanently embedded in Rosalin's soul. As a child, she may find herself with a particular affinity for plant life and if she ever attempts to learn treewhispering, she will find herself a natural. At night, her dreams will often revolve around a great, tangled tree, deep in a shrouded forest. Even when her body perishes, the divine shard will remain lodged in her soul in the afterlife.

There is, of course, a cost to such a close bond. Should the tree that forms Avestra's perch ever die, then Rosalin's soul would in turn shatter, leaving the demigod a husk of her former self.
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2020-03-11 at 11:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grawapolis:

As the fleet arrives on the eastern coast of Tria the men fan out to explore different parts of this strange foreign land. A contingent has arrived in Graw’s fair city, led by the famed warrior Uyellic, bearing his hard won mask, and most of the ships sit near its harbor. The city is impressive, but has a strange gloom to it. Uyellic sees a young woman crying,
    “What’s wrong.”
    “Don’t you know? The city is threatened on all sides. Mercenaries want to drive us out of our home. In fact, rumor has it that the wise god is already seeking a new home. But the king has no way of moving everyone, we’re doomed to die here.”
    How good any good Horizon man ignore such a desperate plea. Soon his contingent have arrived at the palace gates. The guards stop them,
    “Halt, what business do you have here.”
    “Sir, I represent the king of the Horizon tribe, Elkhoof. We have heard of your plight, and I believe we may have a solution.”

Show
    Help THE VOYAGE OF THE GOLDEN FLEET! make its perilous journey.
    + 2 Knowledge: they will be given heightened knowledge of the sea to help the perilous voyage, additionally they will go knowledge of wind currents, water currents, and star navigation.
    + 2 architecture(pickax): the ships will look intimidating as they are beautiful. This will make various people wary of daring to attack them.
    + 2 heroism(déjà vu): no matter how perilous and dangerous their eventual be they will always have the courage and the heart to make the voyage, not just for themselves but for all those who are counting on them.
    -2 unknown: if sailors don't have a clue where they are it can increasingly become likely that they will become completely lost so it's important for them to document everything.
    Last edited by Godzillarich; 2020-03-11 at 05:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

The Twilight Isle:

The Twilight Isle has always had a sacred clearing where the Lucent Crown is kept openly with reverence. Now however it has another clearing of major importance. Here the Map of the Masquerade is hidden away from the world. This clearing is guarded with more subtlety for the goal is to not be seen unless willing. The cultists assigned to guard this location do so in pairs. They have been following the plans of Elkhoof and Braedon to set sail for adventure and to move Grawopolis.

When the ships are finally ready to depart, one of the Tongues guarding the clearing departed to find the island's Masquerader. Quickly a council was convened between the Masqueraders of the Lucent Reef. They discussed the new fleet and how they should handle it. After long deliberation and consultation with the other regions of the cult they decide on a course of action.

The following morning, the same day the Golden Fleet departs, half of the Crimson Fleet sets sail. Five ships set off to rendezvous with the Golden Fleet and help them complete their journey. They have a single mask, the mask of Kahar Djin's Fear, aboard the lead ship. They would set out to offer trade with Inadriel before sailing south to meet with the Golden Fleet at Grawopolis. There they offer trade and good tidings before offering to guide them to a suitable spot on the tainted lands. The trip is an exciting one as the cult of the mad god are not fond of boring and safe routes. Timorin even sends a gifts to his friends. Halfway to the Tainted Lands the Golden Fleet is attacked by a giant squid which with the might the devout of three gods is vanquished.

Once they arrive in the tainted lands, the Crimson Fleet split off to make a trip to the cultists of the Tainted lands. They offer supplies and leave one ship there before returning to the Lucent Reef.

Show

+2 war: Transmuters are offered to each culture to help share their knowledge of the school or warrior as well as the Crimson Fleet serving as protection for the journey
    +2 drama: The Crimson Fleet likes to take the most treacherous and exciting paths to lead to the most glorious of tales.
    +1 games: Bored at times with the journey, the group's invent a form of boat racing and the more exciting, sentient boat racing

-2 fear: Many citizens of Grawopolis are terrified by the trip, especially the incident with the Giant Squid
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-03-12 at 04:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Far above the wastes
    "Wh.wh... why ha... have yo... you t... taken me u.... up here." Nerassus wraps his arms tightly about his body, teeth clattering like castanets. Icy winds howl about them as they drift over icy wastes towards a peculiar green spot.

"Because it's time for you to perform your first, true task in your position of demigod. And why are you doing that thing with your teeth dear?" Peter looks warmly at his son, his face twisted in a thoughtful frown as he listens to the chattering of teeth.

"C... cause it's c.c.c.cold. So cold." He wrings the rainbow cloak tight about his body, making it morph into a full body suit in the hopes of keeping the cold out. The shock of going from a gentle, humid 35 degrees to a frigid -20 is rather much too drastic a change for Nerassus's comfort.

"Oh. Yeah, you have a body. You experience temperature in such a different way. It's truly wonderful. Don't you think so too?"

*ACHOO* "I think... bluh. I think Unca Timorin should've made the cape outta wool. Ca...can we just finish this quickly? P.p.please momma?"

"Oh. Yes, of course dearheart." Peter gently hugs Nerassus towards him as they float closer to Su'ule's tribe, watched over by a mighty immortal dragon. "Do you feel it dear? The gentle thrum of divine energy? The flow of divinity passing through the mortals below?"

Forcing his teeth to stop chattering, Nerassus closes his eyes in an attempt to concentrate. Mentally blocking out the biting chill, he notices the twists of divine energy. Like a river coursing through the many mortals below. "I... I think I do. What's.. why? It's strange. It's like... I don't know. I can't say what it does."

"That's okay dearheart. You'll learn more in time. That you could sense it in the first place is such great progress. What you feel is the birth of a new race. One imbued by Su'ule's energy."

"Oh. Why are we here then?"

"When divine energy flows like this, the world is particularly mutable. By weaving but a strand of our own divine energy we may influence these new lifeforms, for good or for ill. The other gods have already reinforced the flow quite well. Strictly speaking we need not do anything here. Su'ule's children will be born regardless of what we do here. Which makes this a wonderful opportunity for you. If you wish, you may offer your assistance in this endeavour. Provide them with a touch of your virtues."

"Oooh. That sounds wicked cool momma. I think I know exactly what to give them!"

Spoiler: Help: Su'ule
    Show
    +2 Justice: Nerassus has offered to design a system of law and justice for the shapeshifter species.

---

On their way back Nerassus and Peter fly across the Axia, watching the many mortals living below. Peter has taken the form of a cloud, while Nerassus is using his rainbow chariot to try and keep up. Suddenly Peter diverts from their flight to take down near the steppe, splitting up into a multitude of clouds that drift invisibly among the mortals. It all happens to quickly for Nerassus to follow, and he's left to wait, hovering for his father's eventual return. "What happened?"

"Adventure dearheart. Do you remember the temple of Sigrid?"

"Yeah! Are they planning something cool?"

"No. But tribes of the steppe are taking the first step to properly explore the oceans of the world." Peter starts to drift, looking at Nerassus to make sure he follows. "And they are going to need help."

"Oh? ... Oh!" Nerassus gives a cheeky grin as the two fly out towards the coast. Rising tall upon a cliff, facing the ocean with it's churning waves lapping against the stone and sand of beach. Carved in stone, walls that have seen many centuries of history stand silent vigil. On the water's edge itself is a small pier of white stone, whose edge disappears into a thin, misty haze. The pier is wrapped in a barrier of constantly churning water, and when the two arrive in the courtyard they see the students of the temple right in the middle of their aquamantic drills. Deciding not to make a fuzz, Peter flows into the chamber of the Head Priest.

The head priest is sitting calmly on the floor. The old crone has her eyes closed in quiet meditation, utterly sealed off from the world. Not even Peter and Nerassus appearing in the room seems to shake her out of her reverie. But when Nerassus leans forward to poke her for attention the crone deftly shifts two fingers, causing a pillar of ice to immediately form around Nerassus's hand. "Did your parents not teach you that it's rude to touch others without permission?"

Nera gives a soft whine as his form is once more chilled. "Oww. Not fair. If you knew we were here, why'd you ignore us?"

"That voice?!" Her eyes shoot open and she gazes from Nerassus to Peter. "Flowermaker?! Child?! Forgive me my insolence! I thought."

Peter raises his hand to silence the mortal. "Indeed. But let us not speak of such. How goes the teachings here?"

"Huh. Oh they go well. We've got several prospective entrants who are approaching the final test. Pardon my rudeness but... why do you ask?"

"Because we're offering an alternative to the brave and the adventurous. Soon, the people of the steppe are going to go on a long journey to attempt to cross the ocean. They may succeed. But why settle for "may" when we can ensure their success. Gather your students. Inform them about this quest. Tell them that those aquamancers who wish to go with this expedition may do so with my blessing. And when the voyage arrives at Sanctuary, they shall be welcome to enter the island if they so choose."

"Ah. Of course. I shall instruct the temple at once. They will be exalted at being given such a divine task!"

"Wonderful. I shall linger at the temple for a while, should you have any questions."

"Momma? What should I do then?"

"Dearheart, I want you to return to Sanctuary. Get the shipwrights and docks ready to receive the ships. Crossing the ocean from one continent to another is a terrible effort. I want Sanctuary ready to receive them and offer them a chance to replenish their stores of food and water."

"Will do!"

Spoiler: Help: Dulnori
    Show
    +2 Water: Sigrid's temple are offering Aquamancers to help guard the ships against the rage of the ocean.
    +2 Justice: Sanctuary will be ready to offer the Golden Voyage any assistance it will require... for suitable recompense of course.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bron stood weaponless in the centre of a room, surrounded by armed figures. One of them charged at him, thrusting with a spear, and with a quick movement, Bron struck at its shaft, breaking it. Another figure attacked with a hammer, a blow which he deftly sidestepped. The third figure fired an arrow at him, which he caught in mid-air, and a fourth slashed at him with a sword. He brought up his arm, and the blade slid harmlessly off of it. The first opponent, having cast away their weapon, stepped forward again with a flurry of bare-fisted blows. Bron stopped them all.

The battle continued for some time, until Bron had demonstrated mastery of all he was supposed to learn as wearer of a White sash. He stood still, looking towards an end of the room, where a group was poring over the sacred scroll and debating among themselves. One couldn’t, of course, award themselves a sash, and with a lack of a proper authority on the Way of the Cardinal Fist, a group had been appointed to study the scroll and determine when a Threshold had been reached. Bron stood still, and eventually the group turned toward him. One of them stood forward.

“Bron the Immortal, we have reached a verdict. You have shown mastery of the first step of the Way, and great discipline in maintaining your Vow. We are all in agreement: You have become the first among us to attain the Blue Sash, and to reach the First Threshold of the Path of Discipline. Your Vow of Silence is now fulfilled.”

Two others approached to remove his white sash, and replace it with a blue one. Bron then bowed deeply, and with a raspy, long-unused voice, said,

“Thank you. I am honored.”

“Will you be bearing the weights, and continue to travel down the Path of Discipline?” asked the speaker of the council.

“I will.”

The Lucent Archipelago, Kahar-Djin, 26 AP

Kahar-Djin wandered around the continent, looking for places he knew less about. In those travels, they stumbled across the Lucent Archipelago. There they saw the Cult of the Mad God in action.

They saw as a traveller, much like them, arrived to one of the islands. The locals offered the traveller a crown, promising he’d rule over the islands. And for a while, that was true. The locals treated the foreigner like a king. But after some time, something changed. Soon after, the king was dead. Killed by his own subjects.

Throughout all this, Kahar-Djin detected a divine touch in the area. They extended their domain, and detected its source. The crown held some power over the minds of the people in the area. It forced them to commit such atrocities. Kahar-Djin had to do something! However, they couldn’t just destroy the crown. Even when no one was wearing it, the people there seemed to treat it with a sort of… Reverence, strangely enough.

Eventually, an idea popped into Kahar-Djin’s mind. Space twisted upon itself, two far away points became one, and in an instant the divinity was in the Boa Jungle, her armour gleaming. Their followers were there, most deep in meditation. One of them wasn’t, however, and instantly recognized their goddess. She was quick to let the rest of the Path Missionaries know, and soon, a crowd of hundreds had gathered around them. Kahar-Djin spoke out.

“Hello, Missionaries of the Path. You have done well in travelling to this place and forging Paths between civilizations. I see that you have also began to travel the Path of Wisdom, and for that, I congratulate you. Now, those among you who have reached the First Threshold of the Path of Wisdom, come with me. I have something to ask of you.”

Kahar-Djin moved away from the crowd, and around a hundred followed, including the woman that had announced their arrival. Soon, she stepped up and said to the divinity,

“I wanted to mention, I have reached the Second Threshold of the Path.”

Kahar-Djin stopped, and turned to look at her.

“And what is your name, Traveller?”

“My name is Senya.”

“Very well, Senya. In that case, you shall be the leader of this group.” They then raised their voice, so all the Travellers could hear them. “I have a new mission to impart upon you. I have recently been to the Lucent Archipelago and found it a nest of atrocities. People being offered the crown of the land, only to be murdered not long after. Magic seems to have taken hold of their people’s minds, forcing them to commit these acts. So I ask of you, make a pilgrimage to those islands, and once there spread the Path of Wisdom. That will weaken the spell’s hold upon the population, as more of them become able to resist it. Of course, under no circumstance shall any of you wear the crown, though I believe you are all wise enough for there to be no need to say so. You will have my blessing in this journey; the inhabitants of the island will not close their doors to you.”

The Travellers bowed to Kahar-Djin, and Senya said,

“We are grateful for your blessing. We shall share the Path far and wide.”

With that, the Travellers set out to prepare for the journey ahead, and Kahar-Djin turned their attention to other matters.

Spoiler: Action!
    Show
    Influence a large group of mortals (4 AP/2 DC)
    Kahar-Djin sends a group of Travellers of Wisdom on a pilgrimage to the Lucent Archipelago, to spread the Path of Wisdom (+2 Paths, +1 Travellers). They are blessed, and so the islanders will allow them passage into their lands (+2 Thresholds)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

In the Depths of the Empire: Featuring Kahar-Djin
    Braedan’s company had arrived in the land of Al-Sinai. It was land of many kingdoms ruled by a blood thirsty emperor, in the name of a mysterious Goddess said to dance among the flames of war. It was a land of wealth to be sure, but a dangerous place full of warlike tribes. It was here were Braedan would meet a very peculiar individual.

-

The company was traveling through a great city, when they noticed a large crowd forming in the streets. They were surrounding an old man, wrinkled and grey in beard, practicing with a shoddy spear and shield.

Braedan approached a spectator, “Excuse me, but why is this old man practicing so hard. It seems like his best days for that are behind him.”
    The spectator replied, “Well you must be new around here. This isn’t just any old man, he’s a student of the path of power.”
    “And that is?”
    “A new art handed down by the gods themselves. They say that those who master it gain miraculous powers, like the greatest sorcerers in the land.”

Braedan was intrigued by this tale, and when the crowd dispersed he stayed behind to speak to the old man privately.

“So, the people say you are some kind of miracle worker,” said Braedan
    The man replied, “Oh not at all. I’ve only barely progressed in my training. In truth, I only know so much about the spear, and my equipment is falling apart. I fear I may yet die before I make any real progress. The skills required are immense, and most teachers here won’t take an old man as a student. They’re afraid I’m too weak, and be blamed for my death. Can you believe that?”

Braedan was not sure about the reality of these tales, but he felt sorry for the old man. He only wanted to master his craft, and had admirable perseverance.

“Frankly, I can see why they are worried, but I can’t in good conscience deny your wish. We are sailors, and if you really want, you can join my crew. I can promise you that my people are masters of all forms of spear combat. If you come with us, you shall have a teacher, and the best tools we can offer. So long as you share with us the secrets of this supposed path.”

The old man replied immediately, “Yes, yes absolutely,” he knelt down, “Kahar-Djin, great connector, guardian of gates, explorer of the unknown, keep me on this journey. May his blessings be upon you all, for giving me this chance to perfect my art, and to spread his wisdom to lands uncharted.”

A slight breeze blew, a quiet sound of rushing air as space twisted and bent, and where one moment was nothing, the next stood a masked figure, an old man holding a staff. They approached the old man, and raising his staff, said,

I hear your prayers, Gil-Galad, and I come to answer them.” They lifted his staff, and a ray of light came down upon those present. “You have my blessing in your journey through the oceans. You shall feel the perils of travel lessen, and the paths you forge will stand strong. No port shall refuse you. As for you Gil-Galad…” They approached the old man, and spoke in a quieter tone.

You have my utmost respect for choosing to embark on such a harsh and demanding journey at your age. I speak of both your joining the company, and your travelling of the Path of Power. Maintain this determination in your heart, and I assure you,” with this, they leaned in closer, and with their free hand, lifted his mask off his face. “It is never too late for anything.

One moment later, Kahar-Djin was gone.

Spoiler: Help from Kahar-Djin
    Show
    +1 Travellers, for their blessing on their journey,
    +2 Paths, for the paths they forge to stay strong,
    +2 Threshold, as no port will refuse them,
    -2 Unexplored, because the ocean is... Pretty unexplored thus far.

Dulnori was lying in his pit, as was quickly becoming standard, when he suddenly got the strangest feeling that he had forgotten something.

“Hmm, now what could it be? I’ve done everything I’ve needed to for the fleet, and I don’t have any other duties to complete. Maybe I should throw a party, I could invite the Dragon. Party, dragon … oh that was it.

A day later, a terror bird, with feathers the color of gold appears before Aladatrial with a note tied to it reading, “For your daughter, sorry for missing the party, was a buffalo at the time.”

Spoiler: Help: Aladatrial's demigod
    Show

+2 fortune: Rosie is gifted a steed, a golden terror bird, fast, strong, loyal, and very lucky.

At the same time the race of changelings grow that familiar golden scale, and start being seized by a rush of new ideas.

Spoiler: Help: Su’ule's Changelings
    Show

+2 ambition: The changelings shall be a race of great ingenuity and inventiveness, able to progress quickly in industry and make new progress.
    Last edited by flyinglemur; 2020-03-12 at 02:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chern, 22/50 AP, the Golden Fleet

"Arrr," growled Pogba, the gnarled old Horizon sailor, to his fellow crew mate Willin, "we been sailing this 'ere ocean for weeks, naow."

"Months, oi'd say," corrected Willin as he swabbed the deck with a leather rag.

"Months out on this watery wasteland, naught but 'ard tack, jerky, n' weak ale to sustain arr-selves. Oi never though oi'd grow tired of 'ard tack, jerky, n' weak ale, but I be tellin' you Willin, oi'd go two score rounds in the Eternal 'Rena just fer a 'andful-a wild berries."

"Ay, a 'ear ya ol' matey Pogba. I swear me teeth been crumbling in me mouth from a lack er vitamin C."

"Wha?"

"Tha's me ma's word fer fruit n' veg, may the Dragon's prophet preserve 'er dear mortal soul amen."

"Amen. But yer late mum's batty, Willin. She thought that infection's the result-a microscopic organisms replicatin' in the body an' producing 'armful toxins."

"Yer mean germs?"

"Yeah those buggers. Buffalo crap! We all know infection's the gods punishment fer bein' a weaklin'. Scurvy's is no different, I be tellin' you."

"Arr, you could be right. 'Owever. I'd give me good for nothin' firstborn son to suck on a lemon right about naow."

At that moment a lemon fell out of the sky and hit Willin on the head, dislodging a couple of his scurvy-ridden teeth.

"Ye gods!" Pogba stooped to pick up the lemon. "Where'd tha' come from?"

Then fell another lemon. And another. Soon, the entire fleet and it's surrounding ocean was being pelted by raining lemons. Though it was a clear day, a cloud of fruit flies circled high up overhead, the apparent source of the downpour.

"Willin ya mad dog, yer prayers 'ave been answered! It's rainin' lemons!"

"Arr," growled Willin, lemon juice running down his beard as he gnawed through the thick peel to the succulent sour core, "it's like me ma always said, may the Dragon's prophet preserve 'er dear mortal soul amen; 'when life gives ya lemons, make lemonade'."

"Wassat?"

"Be damned if oi know."

Show
    Help Dulnori influence 100k mortals

+4 Decay, as he is addressing malnutrition

Cause lemons to rain from the sky above the Golden Fleet, ensuring a balanced diet for the primitive seamen.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Valrion and Others - The City of Shining Bronze Yimor, the Palace of Marble- Meeting the Emperor (Part 1):

Ulmor was the one that stayed outside the city to wait for Valrion to reach the city, staying in a long-inn waiting for their friend to return. Yet they were taking their time reaching the city, perhaps leaving them be for once was an issue? Maybe they got lost, found an enemy of some sort, or maybe they found something more important to settle along the way?

It did not matter to much to the (relatively) small enchanter, no matter the issue present against Valrion it was hard to imagine them being in any real danger here. For the time being he'd simply have to spend his time basically doing nothing except enchant random objects with spells that no one will probably ever appreciate. A notable example being that chamber pot that will blow out all it's contents if mana is given to it, probably never and if so hopefully after he's gone.

Ulmor was just eating his morning meal outside, looking out into the distance at the main road into Yimor, now the third morning since Valrion should have arrived. Yet as they were about to sigh and think about another means of wasting away the day and their advance skills a hand was placed upon their shoulder. He could have sworn it was going to be Valrion with this kind of timing, but as they turned their head only the face of the towering councilor Ragdios was there. His face was always stony, but knowing the man somewhat Ulmor saw that he was... tense, and he was not directly looking into Ulmor's eyes.

"Wizard Ulmor, the emperor calls for you." was what he said, his voice confirming to Ulmor that something was wrong.

"What do you mean? I haven't heard the Court electing any replacements for Trimonus." It was not that odd for a councilor like Ragdios to know about who was elected the new emperor before the public, but those words still felt very ominous. It was odd that they'd call for Ulmor, unless...

"It's Valrion, isn't it? They were made emperor?" he said hoping for a no.

"..." But Ragdios just looked away.

"Why? They told me they wished to continue traveling, we were just going to stay here a few days, we were... I thought..." But they just stopped talking, and began walking towards the gate of the city having Ragdios lead the way.

Though it was a gorgeous day inside the shining city the pair made no small talk as they wandered down the many streets and sights they intended to show Valrion. When they finally arrived at the Palace of Marble Ulmor noticed that there was surprisingly little noise inside, especially with a new emperor being elected.

Instead of taking Ulmor to the courtroom they were taken to a surprisingly small chamber elsewhere in the palace, it looked like an empty study room or personal office, though a well furnished one. And sitting behind the desk in the center of the room was Valrion.

The first thing Ulmor noticed were the calm eyes that looked out at the world from a distance, even when they looked at Ulmor and Ragdios entering into the room they barely lit up at all. A smile might have crossed their face, their form may be more fashionable and awe-inspiring, and the perfect sent of the lab might have wafted across Ulmor's nose, but Ulmor could not get over the eyes.

"Thank you Ragdios, you may leave." They said, nothing but completely polite sounding. The counciler did leave with a short bow. Leaving Valrion and Ulmor to just look at each other for a while.

Valrion finally said "It is good to see you Ulmor, I apologize but circumstance has kept my attention elsewhere these past few days."

Raising their eyebrow Ulmor gave a huff "You've been spending your time becoming Emperor? Not enough time to even send Ragdios to tell a friend that he need not stay in a barn-house for a couple days? What has gotten into you?" That stung Valrion, their eyes betraying them being pained, though exactly why Ulmor could not tell. With a sigh he continues "Just... tell me what happened."

Valrion seemed to consider what they were about to say "Yir came to me. They wished me to stop perusing my dream and to start administering to the empire's dream. There has been work out in the wider world that has needed my attention, will need my attention, but I needed to return here to claim the throne before the Court elected another."

"But why emperor? And Valrion, you-" they were interrupted with Valrion answering their question.

"Because it was what I was made for" they looked away from Ulmor hiding their eyes "nothing more."

... Ulmor did not know what to say, they were there when Valrion was made after all. They even heard Light Above's voice, and knew that what Valrion said was true. Still that did not mean that they had to go through... whatever they were going through. With frustrated tears in their eyes, Valrion looked back into Ulmor's eyes and for the first time since he walked into the room he felt like he was talking to their friend.

"I know that me abandoning our journey this suddenly is wrong, I'm sorry. And though it is selfish of me I have a request for you, if you would hear me out."

Ulmor stared at those eyes for a few moments, still not really understanding why this was happening but was beginning to see how whatever happened had affected Valrion.

Leaning back on his chair with a sudden relaxed attitude Ulmor said "Hmmm... I suppose I'll hear out what you want, not like I have anything better to do at the moment."

Smiling Valrion wiped away their tears "Thank you Ulmor. I wanted to ask that you say here, or close by, as a wizard in my employ."

"Sure Val, at least I'll be paid for my help now."

"Thank you."

Emperor Valrion and Others – Outside the Gates to Theshana – A Prophesy Comes True:

The lands inside the valley of Theshana seemed to have always been a field of cation and vigil, with dozen upon dozen of towers and fortified defense structures set up around the valley outside the city, the painful and near-constant aggression from the Sugrandi forcing them to heavily defend even the smallest of farms.

Yet on this day everything was quite, it had been quite for three weeks now, not even a single attack had occurred. In one particular case the giants upon seeing the Theshanians ran away. The leaders of Theshana were beginning to worry that this was the sign of a massive attack force being readied to take the city, it would not be the first time something like that had happened. The Theshanians prepared to the best of their ability, men being readied for combat, weapons sharpened, rations already being sorted, enchanters strengthening their wards.

On the first day of the fourth week the guards outside the city’s gates noticed someone down below that looked odd and dangerous. They wore gleaming golden armor, and shone with an inner light. If it were not for the fact that they were human sized they’d had killed them on the spot for having all the tell-tale signs of being a solarmancer. Then they began to speak, their voice carrying farther than it had it should into the city:

“Hear me, people of the Shining Craftsmen, I have come to this city in the name of the One Ab-” They did not get any further into their speech before a shard of ice struck them and four individuals jumped down from the wall (their enchanted boots making such a feat possible).

It would be hard to call these four anything other than a group of elite heroes, all of them wearing bronze armor of some sort enchanted by means more advance than the outside world can imagine. One of them was wearing lighter armor and seemed to be an actual magic-user, they stayed behind as the other three charged at Valrion.

[Battle Start!]

[Emperor Valrion Appears!]

[Hero 1 Uses Slash!]

… Hit! 0 points of damage!

[Hero 2 Channels into the Lightning Spear, Thunder Strike!]

… Hit! 0 points of damage! Electricity courses over Emperor Valrion, but they are not paralyzed.

[Hero 3 Channels into the Bronze Fist, Force Punch!]

… Hit! 0 points of damage!

[Hero 4 Casts Icicle Storm!]

No effect on Emperor Valrion. Hero 2 took 349 points of damage! Hero 3 took 143 points of damage!

[Emperor Valrion]: This is pointless, please cease your hostility. I'm here to talk.

[Heroes]: No! We will never give in to you!

A few more times they went back and forth like this, the heroes trying to damage Emperor Valrion and Emperor Valrion trying to dissuade then from attacking. After a the shock of the initial clash had settled those still on the walls gave what assistance they could, firing magic at Emperor Valrion or giving items to those fighting him so they could keep on going. For hours this kept on going, with Emperor Valrion patiently stating they were their to talk after every series of attacks.

Finally one of the head councilmen came to the walls, hearing how their was an invincible golden man standing at the gates to the city. At first they were too scared to approach, but as the hours dragged by resources were wasted and the golden figure kept on stating that it was here not to fight, he finally decided to ask. "What is there to talk about? What could you have to say to us?"

"In the name of the Light Above I come to discuss Peace, for this conflict has gone on too long."

"Because of you savages!" The councilman could not contain their own hatred. "Leave! There will be peace when you savages leave our lands!"

The figures posture changed in rapid succession, from an a aggressive stance quickly to the neutral one that they had before "... I cannot deny the hatred you feel, but please listen to me. Even if I did leave this place... it would still be alone. I wish not for the idea of isolation to thrive between us, such isolation... it would just lead to the tragedy of this place, your people, to be done elsewhere. Sugrandi, humans, everyone needs to learn from the past, and learn to accept others. And...

...and by Will Above I must fulfill the prophesy."

The councilman said in almost an instant "Ha, the prophesy of the gods protects our lands! As long as our spirit endures, as long as the weak are cared for, no matter your strength our walls will forever hold!"

"That is not the whole of the prophesy, and you know it." The councileman tried to think back on what they had heard, what had been spoken of... then their eyes widened.

"We are not your kin! No giant scum wanders our streets!"

"Indeed, no Sugrandi live inside your walls. But let it be know!" Valrion's voice catching in the wind over the city "That the people of Theshana are now officially to be considered all Pa'dowon to the empire! Every citizen and those of their blood are free kin to the Sugrandi! As such, no Sugrandi or those under them shall harm the Theshanians!"

"That-that does not count!" the councilman yelled, yet still hearing a few cheers inside the city nonetheless.

"I shall return, when I do it shall be to give Thenshana all the lands they have lost, and to forge this future we hold together. By Light Above, I will return to make this the most beloved of cities."

Spoiler: Action
    Show

15/50 AP left
    10 AP/6 DC: influence a town of mortals (~10k) - The Peace of Theshana

By the work of the Emperor Valrion the title of Pa'dowon (the rank of basically a giant) is given to the people of Theshana, whether they accept it and integrate peacefully under the Emperor's Peace or not is up to them. Though there are a few factors at play.

+2 Giant: Emperor Valrion is personally interacting with the people of Theshana, and so uses their own power and charisma to try and win over the city.

+2 Sun: Those Theshanians that accept the peace between giants and Theshana find that the sun blesses them, granting them a strong favor for the use of Solarmancy. Those that openly support the peace and openness can be rewarded with random miracles (spontaneous solar magic because of their talent, still takes mana and time). These rewards will dim in time, settling a very mild boost to the talent of the city's inhabitants in solarmancy.

+2 Majesty: Through persistent negotiations between both giants and Theshanians, Valrion dispels centuries of hatred between the peoples. It might not be enough, but it significantly helps.

+2 Stonethroe Mountains: For the first time in centuries the people of Theshana can travel outside their borders, and the shining peaks and their people are where they go, where they learn new ideas, and return from alive and well.

+1 Perfection: The people of Theshana find that spending time with the giants in their many lands has let them perfect their skills to greater heights than before.

5/50 AP left

The Emperor's Peace will be described in detail later, some of you basically already know what it is (Gene), but here are some of the basics of it.

1. Freedom of religion.
    2. Full autonomy within your borders, the major exceptions being colonies or other orbit groups, which are under Empire/X group's rule, and the economic trade of the region which is also under a joint rule.
    3. Freedom of movement between both parties.
    4. In times of war or emergency X group can call the empire to protect them, with the empire not being able to force the same onto the group, though they may ask/hire repeatedly.
    5. Depending on the size of the population, the group may send a representative(s) to the Court to decide on empire-wide matters.

Valrion - The Baby Party - The Messenger:

Valrion appeared inconspicuously among the guests, their normal armor left behind for a white and gold robe. They gave their name to the guards when asked, though they asked them to not reveal who they were till after the celebrations.

The demi-god had no real idea what to do in the party and were urged onward to complete their task and go; so they did not talk with the other guests and headed towards the child as soon as polite custom would allow in a calm orderly fashion.

Upon the sight of the Rosie Valrion stopped in their tracks, stared at her, and let out a quite 'AWWE!' Walking with actual enthusiasm towards the child who was had been laid down for a bit by Magnus. Valrion quietly exclaimed to the child "You are adorable! Just look at those..." They fell silent, the light catching up with their spirit. It was kinda odd, seeing Valrion struggle for a bit before continuing. "Ah, yes, I should tell you of their decree before anything else. Little one, by decree of the One Above you are a living tragedy. Few will see past this, to see past your abominable blood of two things that should not be one. To the west, upon where the Blessed live, is a land too holy for you; to be within sight of it will bring doom to your soul. Yet They are not without mercy, little one you may seek out these holy lands to purify yourself, to do so safely requires but a simple prayer."

Valrion looked exhausted, burdened suddenly as they fought to say a few more words.

"My poor little cousin, I am sorry. These gods, these goddesses, the divine makes us tools and pawns in their cruel wars and crueler games. I cannot save you. I have not saved myself. Yet I believe there is Hope for me somehow and I shall gift the same Hope to you."

After those words were given, Valrion left with the light of the sun as if they were never there.

Show
    +2 Stonethroe Mountains: Being within sight of these holy peaks causes Rosie to burst into white holy flame that is not her friend, it eats at her divinity and her soul. During the day this effect worsens and removes the domain bonus she gives if still within sight of the peaks. Theoretically if you kept her under the effects of this for a whole day she'd die, but that'd be a destroy demi-god action. Non-permanent and artificial covering does not protect against this affect, but being within a cave or right side of a valley would. A simple prayer to Yir while under the effects of this curse instantly removes the divinity and let's Rosie keep her life (no way to force it to happen).

+2 Majesty: Rosie will find it incredibly hard to earn respect, as she lacks any aura of majesty. She can perfectly lead an army for a campaign and yet only make minor headway into getting her men to legitimately respect her, while her flawed mortal peers have the loyalty and respect of those under them. Of course she's a demi-god and so has more time to get this respect, and can speed up the process considerably with those kinds of folk that don't care much for respect. Fear is completely unaffected.

-2 Petulance: Valrion cannot do much to save Rosie from the gods curses and 'blesses'. They cannot even counter the damage done by Yir, yet they give Rosie the only thing they have to fight the gods, hope to be able to still live as themselves somehow. With this Hope she may learn to find ways to surpass, get rid of, or negate any of the gifts/curses given to her. Of course these means might be probably are more difficult to deal with than the original, but Valrion is just gifting her the ability to choose how to handle all these gifts (even Ala's).
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-03-14 at 07:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chern, 22/50 AP, the Gnaw Wastes

During his time spent on Axia, Chern sensed a great power emanated from the furthest north regions. He coalesced from his swarm at the peak of a knoll in the newly enriched wastelands, leaning on his finely crafted trident. His lamp-like eyes surveyed the land like a swivelling lighthouse.

Chern did not hate what he saw. The changelings, though they were very powerful, were not evil, yet. But they were unmoderated. The goddess Su'ule seemed to be quite poor at moderating her creations thus far.

The Wiltwatcher would be happy to correct that.

Spoiler: Hinder!
    Show
    Hinder Su'ule's creation of the changelings

-4 Decay, reducing their population growth

-1 Fermentation, use of alcohol

The fertility of the changelings will be reduced. To balance out their great power and longevity, their numbers will remain consistently smaller than lesser mortals.
    In addition, excess alcohol consumption will cause the changeling's shapeshifting ability to become scrambled.
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2020-03-15 at 09:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chapter 2, Turn 3 rolls

Grawissen (16 AP) - Immortalise Deja Vu (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Knowledge/+2 Architecture/+2 Heroism/+1 Writing
    (1d20+7)[8]

Alatadriel (20 AP) - immaculately conceive Rosalin Ravenhold (18 AP/14 DC) +2 Fire/+2 Foxes
    Grawissen, +2 Knowledge/+2 Architecture/+2 Mining/+2 Heroism, wisdom and palaces and minerals oh my!
    Timorin, +2 War/+2 Drama, the 2nd Amendment
    Chern, +4 Decay/-2 Downtrodden, a vaccination
    Su'ule, +2 Monsters/+2 Sorcery/+1 Birth/-2 Wilfulness, scream and monster command
    Petr, -2 Water/-2 Healing/-2 Justice, option for mortality
    Ymon-Thal, +2 Life/+2 Death, one time control of life and death
    Avestra, -2 Nature/-2 Birds, link to Perch
    Dulnori, +2 Fortune, golden terror bird
    Yir, -2 Stonesthroe/-2 Majesty/+2 Petulence, mountain exclusion
    (1d20+15)[18]

Petr(18 AP) - immortalise Nerassus (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Water/+2 Healing/+2 Moonpool
    Ymon-Thal, +2 Life/+2 Death
    (1d20+10)[22]

Ymon-Thal (14 AP) - immortalise Thal-Verys (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Life/+2 Death
    Petr, +2 Water/+2 Healing/+2 Moonpool
    (1d20+10)[25]

Avestra (26 AP) - convert 100k Indariel citizens to the Way of the Divine Owl (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Nature/+2 Birds
    Timorin, +2 Drama, Foementer
    (1d20+6)[19]

Su'ule (22 AP) - mould the changelings into being (20 AP/16 DC) +2 Sorcery/+2 Monsters/+1 Birth
    Avestra, +2 Foxes/+2 Fire, fox and fire affinity
    Grawissen, +7 Again, object shapeshifting and camouflage
    Timorin, +2 Drama/+2 War/-2 Fear, chimeras
    Ymon-Thal, +2 Life
    Yir, +2 Giant/+2 Majesty, coupling with giants
    Petr, +2 Justice, legal system
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition, ingenuity
    Chern, -4 Decay/-1 Fermentation, infertility
    (1d20+23)[41]

Chern (22 AP) - tune the Tuning Trident (14 AP/10 DC) +2 Starry Crypt
    Petr, +2 Water/+2 Healing, aquamancer use
    Dulnori, +2 Ambition/+2 Fortune, shaman use
    (1d20+10)[15]

Timorin (19 AP/3 BP) - engineer the Mad God's Masquerade and Map (10 AP/6 DC) +2 Drama/+1 Games
    Dulnori, +2 Fortune/+2 Ambition, mineral detection in masks
    (1d20+7)[21]
    Secondary - sacrifice one mortal (1 AP)

Dulnori (32 AP) - send out the Golden Fleet (12 AP/8 DC) +2 Fortune/+2 Ambition
    Grawissen, +2 Knowledge/+2 Architecture/+2 Heroism/-2 Unknown, smooth sailing
    Timorin, +2 War/+2 Drama/+1 Games/-2 fear, mask communication
    Petr, +2 Water/+2 Justice, aquamancy assistance
    Kahar-Djin, +2 Paths/+2 Thresholds/+1 Travellers/-2 Explored
    Chern, +4 Decay, lemons
    (1d20+22)[42]

Kahar-Djin (26 AP) - pilgrimage to the Lucent Archipelago (4 AP/2 DC) +2 Thresholds/+2 Paths/+1 Travellers
    (1d20+5)[22]

Yir (31 AP) - forge the Emperor's Peach (10 AP/6 DC) +2 Sun/+2 Majesty/+2 Giant/+2 Stonesthroe/+1 Perfection
    (1d20+9)[13]
    Secondary - scry a state sized area (I forget which one specifically you'll have to ask Alex)

Nestellbam (26 AP) - no action

Opulon (50 AP) - no action

Vreyalas (50 AP) - no action
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2020-03-15 at 07:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Chapter 2, Turn 3 resolution

Grawissen (4 AP) - success
    Deja Vu is now immortalised.

Alatadriel (2 AP) - success
    Rosalin Ravenhold was born to Magus in the likeness of her fox-like mother Alatadriel. Sitting with her pile of weapons in her Graw-kea palace with a baby terror bird and a little bandage on her arm, one could be sure that she was destined for greatness. With her ability to command monsters and produce primal Su screams, and her ability to kill and save once each in her lifetime, her power could be great indeed.
    However, all this power could be averted. Not only was her "gift" from Petr always available to take away her gifts, but her connection to the Perch of Avestra and in-born aversion to the sacred Stonesthroe peaks gave the divinity in her soul a tenuous quality. She'd always do best with divine actions that applied to mundane matters rather than other divinity.
    Rosalin, +2 Wilfulness/-2 Mundane

Petr (6 AP) - success
    Nerassus is now immortalised.

Ymon-Thal (2 AP) - success
    Thal-Verys is now immortalised.

Avestra (14 AP) - success
    Faith in the Divine Owl soared in the Ebon Basin and Three Deserts, to the point where it was second only to the worship of Alatadriel. One notable exception was the town of Foementer, where worship of the Owl was in the vast majority.

Su'ule (2 AP) - success
    The shapeshifting changelings came into being deep in the Gnaw Wastes, beckoned forth by their monstrous mother Su'ule. Their capacity to change was near limitless, be it living creatures or objects or a combination. They would have an affinity for fire, including fire dancing and the forbidden art of pyromancy. Though they're a different species, they'd be able to couple with giants, producing either giant or changeling children.
    Though the changelings are long-lived and powerful, their birth rate is gradual enough that they don't outgrow the less powerful mortal species.

Chern (8 AP) - success
    Chern's Tuning Trident proved a success, able to invigorate the growth of plants and fungus to supernatural speeds through contact with water. Third threshold Path of Squalor travellers, master aquamancers, and master shamans would be able to wield the trident, though they could leave it running indefinitely without further input. The trident could be destroyed by using it on the purest water, which can only be found in the Tabula Rasa, the river that runs through the Passing.

Timorin (8 AP/6 BP) - success
    The map and its connected masks were successfully formed and distributed as Timorin saw fit. As mortals began to first use them, the empty map table began to fill with details based on what they saw. It would only continue to grow overtime.

Dulnori (20 AP) - success
    The first foray of the Golden Fleet was a resounding success. Over many years, the primitive sailors would only grow in prowess, quickly dominating the West Axia coast and encroaching upon many other foreign shores.

Kahar-Djin (22 AP) - success
    The pilgrimage of the Path Missionaries to the Lucent Archipelago was a success, and after politely declining the cursed Lucent Crown they set about teaching the Path of Wisdom to the locals.

Yir (5 AP) - success
    By promising Pa'dowon status to all citizens of Theshana and conceding the return of their old lands, Valrion ended the conflict between the oldest city on Oerth and the grand Sugrandi Empire. In this way, the prophesy of enduring Theshana - that it would hold as long as the people held their spirit of community - began to unravel, for they were suddenly presented with a more attractive lifestyle. The Emperor's Peach would certainly persuade many.
    If nothing else is done with Theshana before the end of the age, then the prophesy will be fulfilled.

Nestellbam (26 AP) - no action

Opulon (50 AP) - no action

Vreyalas (50 AP) - no action

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Timorin 8 AP 3 BP
    Twilight Isle:

Timorin gathered the corpses of his two dinosaur sacrifices. All that remained of them now was the bones. Carefully he cleaned them off in the coldest water he could find, hoping to use the healing waters Petr made so long ago to clean their souls of the stains he left on them. They had given their life for this cause, he could do them no less service. Timorin had come to learn that while killing for sport was entertaining, sacrificing something for a greater good is honor.

He removed the right arm of the terror and the right leg of the Ceratopsian and bound them together with his power before returning to the twilight Isle. Timorin gathered as many of his cultists together as possible. Though he wanted to do this in his sacred clearing, he felt that would be unfair to the newest members of the community. So instead he performed his ceremony on the beach where he first awoke so that pygmies, terrors, tongues, and ships alike could bear witness.

"Long ago I bound you all to the prophecy of the Lucent Crown. Since then you have served me faithfully. At the time, when few would visit and you were weak, the best defense was the crown. Now however, as we are becoming a part of the larger world, we can no longer defend ourselves with it's magic. We must find a new way. You are strong and we have made many friends but soon I shall be gone for a time and I expect you will also have attracted enemies and for you I am afraid. You are my favorite of mortals."

He pauses here for effect but none on the beach speak beyond the gentle sway and flap of the boats and their sails. Timorin raises the staff before him.

"So I give you this staff. It has been forged from the bones of those who have their life when I asked it of them so that they may serve us and protect us always. They shall always be with us. And so shall I always be with you. I shall add a piece of myself to the staff in order to give it the power it needs."

With that Timorin slowly and carefully brings his hand up to his face. Then deciding to rip it out like an arrow shaft, he removes his right eye as he lets out a massive scream. Panting, he places the eye in the staff which begins to glow softly in darkness. Timorin summons an eyepatch to cover his wound before returning his gaze to his people.

"Where did the rest of you go?" With a quick turn of his head he realized they were just in his blindspot. He hands the staff to the Masquereder of Timorin's Lust, who served as the de facto leader of the cult in his absence. "Try it out. There are minions who shall serve you. Summon them here so that I may show you."

One by one the Shadows of Timorin are summoned before the crowd. "You have the Shadow of Apathy. They shall help you go unnoticed by this great world. They shall aid you in your isolation. Welcome friends but remember to hide from your enemies and guard your secrets. Next is the Shadow of Fear. They shall serve you in scaring off your enemies. Whenever you need to intimidate outsiders, they shall serve you. When the outside world takes too close notice, let them feel the might of us united. Then the Shadow of Jealousy. This one shall turn your enemies against one another. It shall remind your enemies that they cannot trust the friends at their backs and while they are divided, we will be united. The Shadow of Grief. It will keep you grounded. Remember what you fight for and what you stand to lose. We are one and we feel each loss. So shall your enemies should they choose to act against you. You have the Shadow of Lust. Use this to unite our peoples. To strengthen their bonds. Use it to bring us closer to one another as well as to our allies and fill these lands with our family. Finally is the Shadow of Hope. This one has a duty to our dead but when you need it, they will bring us together and remind us of what we fight for. They will set us apart from the others for you now hold in your hand the power of hope itself."

Timorin turns from them. "I do not have much time remaining before the great sleep. I shall do what I can in my remaining time to find what help I can in your protection. The other gods will have felt this and some will try to stop its existence." With blood tears running down under his eyepatch, Timorin is gone.

Grawissen:

"Grawissen. I have given you masks and aided you in the creation of your pickaxe. It is time for you to return the favor. Before we sleep, help make my people safe the way I aided you in getting to this new home of yours.”

Ymon-Thal:

"I have given a gift to my people that shall impact your creation. The Shadow of Hope I have gifted you will always belong in the passing to help guide worthy souls to their next life. I am growing weak, only able to protect my people with a simple staff. If you are of the mind, they would welcome your help."

Avestra:

"I hope your people have enjoyed the masks they have been given and that we may continue our friendship. I know you have felt my actions today. My people know you to be an ally and will use what I have given them to protect and aid your Owls should the need arise."

Alatadriel:

"Oh mighty fox. I have given my people a gift to protect themselves in my absence. But know that we are not foolish enough to feel this meager defense could stand up to the might of you and your mighty empire. So do not fear that we mean to use it against you or to betray our history working together."

Su'ule

"My people have a high regard for you and your creations. We invite you to stop by the island and see how we have put them to use. Also I have made a magic staff for them. So if you deem it worthy, I know your power will be great."

Kahar

"Thank you for the gift you gave my people. Your wisdom is already a greatly cherished treasure among them. It shall be a greatly treasured tool for them moving forward. Since you have seen the wisdom inherent in learning to better use the first gift I gave them, maybe their next one can be served just as well with your wisdom."

Chern:

"Please explain to me how the path of Squalor works again?"

Yir:

"As you can see," Timorin points to the bloody eyepatch. "I do not share in your glory, magnificence and perfection. I could do well to learn from your wisdom and splendor but my people should not be punished for my lacking the perfection that you have."

Dulnori Braedon and Elkhoof:

"I have built a tool to help protect my people. I know you also have somewhat aggressive neighbors. You may use the masks to ask for aid from their new tool I'd you wish. It would also allow you to bring the shadows to the arena anytime you wish."

Petr:

"Oh great Petr. I know you don't always approve of what I or my people do but I have given much to try to protect them in our absence and with who their neighbors are, I hope you can see the need for such protection."

Show

Create Greater Magic Item
    8 AP 6 BP
    DC 10
    Staff of Shadows:
    This staff creates a bond between Timorin's shadows and the user. It allows the user to control the shadows completely, second only to the control Timorin has over them. The staff is linked to the shadows in location as well as mind. The user can summon the shadows to anywhere the user can accurately see. Anytime five of the six shadows are in the same location, the user may use the staff to transport anything in contact with it to that location.
    [B]Use:[/B} The user must be a traveller of the Path of Emotion.
    The item can be destroyed but followers of Timorin may reforge it with the following ingredients: Two limbs taken from two different creatures who willingly gave their life and a single eye of Timorin. The eye of Timorin may also be destroyed and would take Timorin providing a new one to make the staff again. The eye of Timorin has no powers on its own.

+2 War
    +2 Drama
    +1 Games (shadow arena challenge will become a regular thing)
    -2 Fear
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-03-17 at 01:11 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grawpolis throne room
    The king walked in, “Grawissen, we’ve nearly evacuated the entire city. All that is left is a few troops that stay behind with me, what do we do…” The king then stopped himself. On the floor he saw Graw skeleton broken into pieces. “GRAWISSEN!” the king yelled as he ran to his God. “What is happening to you?”

Graw barely had the energy to raise its head. “I have felt this pain... for a few years now... I thought it was the sleep was...taking me but it’s something else…. My spirit is breaking up... Soon to be dust in the wind.”

The king simply looked in absolute horror. “Wh...What do we do without you? We are nothing without your guidance.”

Graw simply shook his head “When I first met... you people so many... Generations ago...stronger than you know… smarter than you think… And braver than you can ever imagine…”

Déjà vu suddenly appeared above the King. “Dad…”

“Now, now my son...you can help… This world without me… All I ask is you continuing... to protect the week” he then turned back to the King. “Before I go… I will give you one last gift…”

With the last of his energy he helped fulfill his promise.

Show
    creating a create a magical item
    Staff of Shadows
    + 2 knowledge: the staff will be known about far and wide. Making it an item of curiosity for the rest of the world
    + 2 mining: the staff creates a material called shadow essence, this material allows people to see in the dark
    + 2 architecture (pickaxe): the staff is beautifully crafted, almost looking like a staff royalty would use
    + 2 heroism: those who use the staff will gain great courage against the shadow creatures it summons making it easier to use
    + 1 writing: the staff allows people to speak to the Shadows directly.

And with that Graw’s head had fallen down and the lights in his eyes disappeared. All the gods could sense the terrible truth. Grawissen was gone.
    500 meters off the coast of Grawpolis

King Ostrom stared off from the boat, looking as he watched as the city started to burst into flames. It seems like the evacuation was just in time. The king then looked down at the water below as he held the pickax in hand. “I have failed.”

Uyellic walks up to the king, “No you haven’t. As the whirlwind teaches us, you haven’t failed until you allow your dream to die. Do you still wish for the safety and progress of your people?”

Ostrom remained quiet and then turned to Uyellic. “If only if I was a better ruler than maybe one gets this point. After so many centuries I would be the one to finally lose our home.”

“You haven’t answered the question.”

The king got up. “You are right, I should at least make sure this trip goes smoothly.” He then put his hand on Uyellic “I thank you and your God for your assistance.”

“Your welcome. I couldn’t have done anything else, to leave you all behind would’ve been like giving in to death. My Gods wouldn’t have it. Now then, we must look forwards. Where are the boats going?”

In an ancient land called the tainted lands…” The king then looks down on his pickax. “... To build a new hom..” suddenly one of the ships was grabbed by a tentacle. Screaming could be heard from the other boats as more tentacles came out grabbing the other boats. “What is going on?”

Uyellic begins barking orders to his men, “It’s an attack by a sea beast. Cut it down as fast as possible, before it drags the ships under. Stab into the tentacles, make it feel pain and force it to retreat.”

Déjà vu appeared on the nearest guard. “Okay time for punching!”

“Who are you?” who are you?

“Fewer questions and more punching!” Déjà Vu yelled back

The king looked at horror at the situation. “No… It can’t be him. The ancient demon Leviathan.”

Uyellic responds, “Leviathan, what do you mean?”

“A long time ago our people lived in fear of this beast until one day our God ultimately banished the beast while saving our chieftain Morgana but with the bone God’s death it has returned.” the king then fell to his knees. “Without him what can we do?”

Uyellic punches the king in the shoulder, “Snap out of it. If your God isn’t here, then it’s your job to take his place. That’s what kings are for. Feel bad later, fight now.” Uyellic charges forwards to join his men, “GLORY TO THE DRAGON. GLORY TO THE WHIRLWIND. GLORY TO US.”

Déjà vu continued to attempt to punch the tentacle off the boat. “For something so squishy it sure as hell can take a beating!”

The boat started to be pulled close and close into the depths below. “If we can’t get this thing off it’s going to sink the Boats…” one of the guards yelled out. “... We need a solution now!”

King Ostrom down upon the pickaxe. “That is what kings are for… To protect when the gods cannot do it themselves…” He then walked to the edge of the boat. He looked down to the boat and saw the massive eye of Leviathan.

Uyellic can tell what’s about to happen, “GLORY TO OSTROM.”

“For my people, my lineage and the great God Grawissen.” he then jumped off the boat pickaxe in hand. “...I banish you back to the depths!” he screamed as he slammed the pickax right into the beast’s eye. A massive explosion erupted as the squid let go of all the boats. The squid screamed in pain in the water for a few brief moments until it completely turned to stone. It slowly sank into the sea, the monster was gone but so was the king. Floating on the surface was the pickaxe.

The Horizon sailors recovered the pickaxe and delivered it to the heir. Uyellic stays a while, “You’re father, was a brave man, and a true king. Our captain can recover the body with time. We can give it back immediately, but I’ll offer something else. My people have a sister tribe, who are great at preserving relics. They could mummify the body if you wish, give him a real hero's reward. What do you say?”

“Let the sea keep his body, but his memory will live on… In our history and our new city. It will be called Ostrom in his honor.” And with that, they sailed away to the tainted lands.

Spoiler: action
    Show

4 AP/2 DC: influence a large group of mortals (~100) influence a small group of people to help in the construction of a library for the Prehist people, in the new city of Ostrom

+2 knowledge: It will be the largest library in the world called the Morgana Institute, named after the great chieftain Morgana. thousands of texts from every inch of the planet will be brought to this great library. It will be the pinnacle of knowledge. From the magic to the paths to biology, to epics fantasy and scientific study.

+2 architecture (pickaxe): The aforementioned library in the center of the city, it’s walls painted by some of the greatest artists. Some of the greatest texts known to man and many priceless artifacts. It will be so big visitors would say it touches the clouds. (It doesn't just a cool saying)

+2 heroism: Additionally from works of knowledge it will also be the height of fictional writing, many great epics will be stored there as well.

+1 writing: The library will have amazing translations of almost every text on the planet. Making it much easier for people from around the world to understand and read it.

Last edited by Godzillarich; 2020-03-19 at 11:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Su'ule
    "So, the user of this staff can only use it if they are a walker of a Path. I think that I can fix this problem. Let me help out, brother. "

An illusion of Su'ule appears. She enchants the Staff of Shadows through a puff of her breath. If the wielder of the staff is a master Su Sorcerer, they don't need to be a walker of the Path. In addition, those that are killed by the shadows become a shadow based on the emotion which was most amplified at death, or the emotion that they were most associated with in life. In addition, their power to conjure is also increased. However, too much use by wielders of the staff by those who aren't walkers of a Path increases their rebellious streaks and willful attitudes.
    Spoiler
    Show

+ 2 Sorcery : Master Su Sorcerers can use the staff even if not a walker of the Path.
    + 2 Monsters : Those killed by the shadows become a monster based on the emotion they were either most associated with in life, or how they were killed.
    + 1 Birth : The power to conjure is increased by wielders of the staff.
    - 2 Willfulness : Too much use of the staff by those who are not walkers of a Path increases their willfulness.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2020-03-15 at 04:09 PM.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

No Name Oasis

Three raptors and one human stood waist deep in the middle of the oasis spring, watched from the bank by thousands of sharp raptor eyes. The Tuning Trident hung in the air between them, prongs of stone and horn pointed up towards the sky.

The human was the missionary called Mila, only a third threshold Path of Squalor traveller but nonetheless the most knowledgeable of its sacred scroll. One of the raptors was Xcha of the 1st Squalid Squad, levitating above the surface of the water using his abilities as a legless fourth threshold squalid. The remaining two raptors included one lithe upright male missing both his tail and his left arm, and one stocky female with an intricately dyed blindfold tied over her eyes. They were named Qade and Ysma respectively, also part of the 1st Squalid Squad.

All four of these proudly wretched mortals formed the spiritual leadership of choblin society, being the ones most advanced in the Path of Squalor. They'd taught others to survive with what little food they had over the recent months, and treated their many wounds and illnesses. Even if they hadn't been the only ones with the ability to wield the trident, many would have agreed it fitting that they do so.

"All of us here," Ysma's regal voice resounded in the choblins' heads, carried telepathically across the spring, "have been through much since our bloody, quarrelsome awakening. Born with a curse, to be blinded by rage and alone against the rest of the world. Countless of our kin have died throwing themselves upon the spears of humankind. Even in our moment of salvation, we must never forget them."

"NEVER FORGET!" screamed Xcha. The assembled choblins echoed his cry, their bird-like caw travelling far and wide across the dunes. Ysma's voice continued.

"What remained of us was driven into the desert, destined to live short, violent lives and swiftly be forgotten. We stewed in our squalor. Until the saviour Chern came to us, all of us, one by one. He sacrificed himself - again and again - to show us through example how we may endure. Now together, in his holy bio-luminescence, we few endure still. And now, with this final gift, we shall not only endure squalor..."

Ysma fanged jaw snapped open rapturously, the stump of a sliced tongue flicking in the back of her throat.

"...We shall thrive in it!"

Amidst the cheers of the choblins, the Tuning Trident was telekinetically lowered into the single remaining hand of Qade. While the other three retreated back to make room, Qade twirled the trident, feeling its weight. Then, with a moment's pause to align everything correctly, he slammed the butt of the staff into the waterbed.

Immediately the outer prongs began to quiver, so rapid that appeared a blur to the mundane eye, while the central spike flexed and distorted in a stabilising rhythm. The water danced, a shock wave expanding out from the point of impact. Around the amberis shaft the water rose and fell like the tidal cycle sped up, beaten down by harmonics before rising back up again like a bulging bubble.

The effects of the magical trident were evident as soon as the first shock wave hit the shore. Undergrowth that had been beaten down by months of trampling choblins sprang back to life with full torpor, empty palm trees burst with fresh dates, and saplings shot from the ground like scattered crickets. Where there was glowloam the ground sank, visibly corroded away by the fungus' accelerated growth.

Qade released the trident, stepping away slowly through the drumming water. It remained upright, continuing to quiver away.

"It works," Qade announced in a low growl.

"IT WORKS!" repeated Xcha. With one final roar of triumph, the choblins set about harvesting the abundant fruits and fungi. For the first time in their lives, security was assured.

---

Mila sat in her palm-leaf shelter, scratching away at papyrus sheet with a fragment of charcoal. She lifted the Scroll of Squalor, comparing it to her scribbling. Satisfied, she rolled up her transcription with a strip of leather, carefully securing it in her bag along with all her other oerthly possessions. Mila almost instinctively reached for her crutch, but her fingers found nothing on the woven fibre mat. She gave a wry smirk.

"Every time..."

The missionary stood, brushing the charcoal dust from her cloth leggings. With a heave she lifted her heavy pack and set off for the door of hanging palm-leaves, her maimed foot no more of a nuisance than a faded, forgotten scar.

Qade and Ysma were waiting on the other side.

"There you go," Mila said in halting choblin tongue, and handed the original scroll over to Ysma. "Don't lose it, hah."

"Never," promised Ysma, speaking directly into Mila's mind. "Thank you for doing this, Mila. We would be loathe to part with a relic of wisdom such as this, but given that Chern bestowed it upon you initially, it would have been difficult to refuse had you wished to keep it."

"It's no problem, honestly," Mila insisted earnestly, "I've gotten everything I needed from the scroll. Really the transcription is just so that I can share its knowledge with others of my faith. It is just as much a relic of Kahar-Djin as Chern, after all."

"Of course," said Ysma, "we will not forget the service you nor your god has done for us."

"You shall always be welcome in Chobe," Qade added in choblin, inclining his head respectfully down at Mila. Most of the raptors were postured such that they were shorter than the human woman, but with his tail missing Qade bore himself more like a humanoid, towering above the rest of them.

"Thank you, from the bottom of my heart." Mila returned the bow. "It's been a privilege to be part of something so grand. A missionary's dream, I'd say! No matter the hard times."

"Remember, you are always welcome to stay," said Ysma, "we already consider you a choblin."

"No, no. I'd love to see you grow but... I have a home that I haven't seen in years. Now that I have the ability to make it there, I have to try."

"We understand." Ysma approached Mila, resting a clawed hand on her shoulder and gently nuzzling her blindfolded forehead against the human's. "May your spirit never wane..."

"And may the dirt rest lightly on your flesh," concluded Qade.

"As with you," Mila responded. "Oh man, I'm not about to cry am I?"

"WAIT!"

Xcha slowed down just in time to avoid knocking the burdened human off her feet, as he swooped in for a hug.

"Oh, Xcha!" Mila grunted, patting flying raptor's back. "I promise I wasn't going to leave without saying goodbye, I was going to search for you."

"You had better come back some day."

"Hey you're the one who can fly, you come visit me."

"Agreed!" Xcha broke away from the embrace, snapping to attention. "Mila, I want to say that not eating you back when I was consumed by bloodlust was the best decision of my life."

"Well, there it is," Mila said shrilly, "now I'm crying..."

After many more goodbyes and promises of return, with a full pack of dates and skins bursting with attuned water, Mila set off back into the dunes. At the peak of the highest dune neighbouring the oasis, she looked back on the burgeoning city of Chobe.

"Well. See ya round, Cherlie."

And off she went, a spring in her step as she followed the sun east.

https://youtu.be/CUjIY_XxF1g
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2020-03-22 at 01:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

On the beaches of Sanctuary
    The nips of exhaustion brush against the back of Petr's mind. It's a peculiar sensation. They don't get tired. Not the way mortals do. And yet something is definitely making it harder to be present. They almost forgot to manifest and observe the visit of the Golden Voyage. And even know, as they watch their son train on the beach, they occasionally zone out, listening only to the gentle sounds of the sea breeze, and the cries of birds as they swoop down attempting to steal the catch of the fishermen.

At least until the familiar tingle of divinity creeps upon Petr. The unmistakeable essence of Timorin. His hands dripping with essence wrought from bloody sacrifice. At least he had the sense to try and clean himself to make himself presentable.

Petr shifts their gaze from the sky above to the beach below. Where they see Nerassus eagerly running towards them with a mask in hand, and a sheepish looking Timorin following a few steps behind.

"Momma! Look here! Look at what Unca brought me!" The demigod grins happily as he presses the mask to his face, feeling it mold easily to his peculiar shape. He looks at Petr, giggling before lifting the mask up again. "Don't it look cool?"

"It looks great dearheart." Petr narrows their eyes slightly, glancing towards Timorin. "And knowing Timorin, it's probably safe. Now then, what can I do for you? And don't try to hide that staff behind your back dearie. The stench of blood on it isn't so easy to wash off."

"Oh great Petr. I know you don't always approve of what I or my people do but I have given much to try to protect them in our absence and with who their neighbors are, I hope you can see the need for such protection."
    "Hrmf. Nerassus dearheart?"

"Yes Momma."

"Look at this staff. Tap into your ability. Tell me. What do you sense from it?"

Nerassus tilts his head in confusion. His eyes close as he mentally reaches out, before yelping in shock and taking a step back. "This was made from bones and souls? Unca, you killed for this?! That... that's no good. Do people know? People should know!"

"He did." Petr's cold glare gives Timorin a quiet admonishment that he is not welcome to speak right now. "You wrung souls of those who worhsip you for power. The power to do what you want. Not what your people want. What you want. You say you did this to "protect" your people? Look around you! See what I have wrought without demanding any mortal suffer and die for me. You want to protect your people? Why then didn't you come over here and bargain with the people of Sanctuary? You had options. Options you chose not to take. If you want this staff, let's see if you have the strength to make it work once I wholly cleanse the blood from it."

Spoiler: Hinder Timorin
    Show
    -2 Water: Petr will cleanse the staff of it's bloody essence, and curse anyone who wields the staff. They may neither cast, nor benefit from, Aquamantic healing spells.
    -2 Justice: Those who hold the staff will always know exactly what went into making it.
    +2 Flesh: Nerassus feels ill at the presence of the staff. He struggles to bring his essence fully in on the curse.

After their rant, the three are left in a momentary awkward silence before Petr gives their son a gentle push. "Anyway. I'll go check up on the docks. Nerassus why don't you tell Timorin about the idea we discussed?"

"Oh yeah!" Nerassus smiles brightly and turns to Timorin, grabbing the god's attention as Petr leaves. "Actually, we thought a little like you. Y'know. What to do when you guys go to sleep and such. I mean, I'll remain active apparently. But you guys will sleep. And that's when we had the idea. Practically bouncing on his feet, Nera gestures to further down on the beach where P'ua is teaching some of his students how to divert aquamancy from multiple directions at once. "See that? He's showing off his skill. And so the other kids learn from him. And he showed off to me too and I learned Aquamancy a whole lot faster than if I'd have to learn it all on my own. And that's when I thought. Wouldn't it be great if mortals could learn from one another?"

"I spoke with Momma about this, and we realized that hey, we have a lot of folks here on Sanctuary that can do a lot of clever stuff on their own. And Momma said that recently, there was this huge divine event or something... she was a bit vague about it. But either way, apparently there's a whole city out there that we can practically just settle in, since everyone up and left. So I'm gonna go there. Gonna grab some of the enchanters, and druids, and the smartest people I know. And we're gonna build a whole new thing. A univer-city. A city of universal learning and teaching stuff. Like math, and philosophy, and magic, and... you know. Everything! I'm still deciding on everything that should be taught but... oh here."
    He reaches into the ether, pulling out a small blue shell engraved with a strange green marking. "This here is an idea I'm pretty set on. I think that the learning should be for as many people as possible. So if you give that to one of your followers, that will let them sign up. Oh. But you probably don't know what that means huh... I'll make a proper list. Just you wait!"

Show
    6 AP/3 DC: Influence a large group of mortals (and also one very excited demigod) (~1000) Nerassus and Petr are going to inspire the people of Sanctuary to create the first of hopefully many universities across the globe.

+2 Water: Petr prepares the ground by creating a healing spring within Grawpolis. The spring will ensure that the city never lacks for clean water.
    +2 Healing: Petr cleanses the land of damage done through war and pillaging, and ensures that the land on and near Grawpolis is fertile enough to feed students.
    +2 Justice: Nerassus will become the first headmaster of the university, and will ensure a just faculty void of corruption.

Spoiler: The 1st Justice University
    Show
    Starting with Grawpolis, Nerassus will utilize the transmuters, enchanters, aquamancers and druids of Sanctuary to reclaim the abandoned city and transform it into a haven of learning. The enchanters will rebuild the city, strengthening her walls and defenses, while the transmuters will guard the university from bandits, mercenaries and incursion forces from The Empire. Meanwhile the Aquamancers and Druids will make the city self-sufficient. Once the city is well-defended and self-sufficient, Nerassus will invite teachers from all across the world. Primarily, he will be inviting teachers from Sanctuary, but he will also travel the world offering great thinkers an opportunity to teach a subject of their choice.

The initial list of subjects whose teachers all come from Sanctuary will be
    Math
    Philosophy
    Aquamancy
    Astronomy
    Astrology
    Agriculture
    Druidry (Nature Magic)
    Enchantment
    Metal working
    Weapon studies
    Transmutation
    Necromancy
    Theology
    Seafaring

Student body: There are three ways to join the student body.

The first and most common way is through the general application examination. A test designed by Nerassus, where the people who do the best on the test are granted permission to study at the university. The test partially evaluates the practical aptitude for studying, and partially evaluates skills in the chosen fields of study.

The second way is through wealth. A few slots every year are available for purchase for the highest bidders.

The third way is through a recommendation from the faculty. These slots are rare, and there may be years without any recommended students. But it exists, and Nerassus intends to use it to ensure that even tribes without any other hope of joining the university may still benefit from their teachings.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alatadriel, 2/50 AP. The Great Orcishtal Mountains, Ahorca, The Twin Furnaces.
    Alatadriel had brought some of the best and brightest minds, and metal workers of the land to the Lab built onto The Twin Furnaces. The ten men and women stood astutely in front of Alatadriel as she held up a chunk of iron ore. "I'm sure you're all familiar with this ore. It's called Iron, and iron is much easier to work, can be more easily mass-produced, and if worked properly is stronger than Bronze. Yet for some reason, none of you have figured out how to make a fire hot enough to smelt it." She set the ore down on a furnace. "Okay, so. What are your theories on what fire requires to be hot."

Albert, the war maker of The Twin Furnaces stood awkwardly as he started to explain. "Well, you see, fire is one of the four elements. A metaphysical object so it requires-"

"Wrong! Next!"

Arsina stepped forward. "Well, fire requires a burnable substance and a large amount of heat."

"Good, good. What else?"

The smiths looked confused as Alatadriel pressured them into an answer. None of them seemed to be catching on to what she wanted. She let out a loud sigh as she brought out a candle. "You see, this is a burnable substance. Fuel if you will." She produced a small flame from her finger as she lit it. "That's our heat. Very good. See if the flame becomes too cold it will go out. But..." She took out a glass container and placed it over the flame. The scientists looked in awe as the flame sputtered out shortly after she put it over it. "And..." She waited to see if anyone could guess. "Oxygen! Air! Fire needs AIR! To become hotter!" She summoned more fire and flung it into the furnace with the ore sitting on top of it. She produced a set of bellows. "So you create this! See this, it's two wooden paddles with hide stretched between them. You use it to-" She blew the bellows into the fire causing it to flare up. "Causing it to become even hotter than it usually is so that iron can be worked!"
    Show
    2 AP/1 DC: influence a small group of mortals (~10)
    Alatadriel spends some of her last moments before the sleep trying to teach the smiths of The Empire how to work iron. +2 from fire.

Alatadriel looked unimpressed at Timorin. "If you're looking to flatter me, I'd appreciate it if you tried harder." Alatadriel took a long time placing a strawberry onto her mouth and carefully taking a bite and chewing. "I have... Mixed feelings on your cult, the shadows, and their dealings... But you know what I hate more than that? All that godsdammned lofty moralizing from that queen bitch of the waters. 'oh, look at me. I don't kill mortals, and I just sit on some big island that I made and don't spread my prosperity anywhere'." Alatadriel's impression was remarkably bad. "Don't even get me started on that naive little kid of hers. Filling him with all sorts of impractical nonsense." She carefully bit into another strawberry. "So I'll help you."
    Show
    Whenever the staff is being used it covers the user in a protective circle of flames so that it may not be easily stolen in a battle. Also, because it looks really cool. +2 from Fire.
    Last edited by Demonjazz; 2020-03-22 at 03:24 AM.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Ymon-Thal, 2/50 AP, Boa Jungle

It was a strange group, to say the least, Fadon thought for what was probably the thousandth time in the days since he'd met his new companions.

A few of them appeared to be fellow warriors, though clearly of a... rougher sort than Fadon himself. He recognized another from the Disciples of Thal, he'd seen a lot of corpse whisperers while guarding the Halls, and he could almost swear he'd seen yet another one lashed for theft.

As for the rest, he had no idea and none of them had shared much about themselves. Not that Fadon had been different in that regard, his only orders from the Council of Yith was to join the group and follow them to some specific spot deep in the jungle. They were almost at their goal now, or so the woman leading them had said at least. In Fadon's eyes she was little more than a child, but she seemed to see a way forward where the rest only saw impenetrable jungle.

Suddenly the woman in question signaled the group to stop. "We're almost there", she said.

Fadon looked from one member of the party to the next and found everyone doing the same. All waiting for someone to tell them what to do, what to expect.

"Let's go then", he heard himself saying. "No point in waiting around, aye?" He was surprised he'd spoken and even more so that everyone seemed to listen and start walking forward again.

Pushing through the last few feet of thick jungle, they came to a clearing, large enough that its other side was barely visable in the moonlit night. Fadon knew little of the jungle but even to him it was obvious that the clearing was no natural phenomenon, dead plants and trees lay thick on the ground, dead for hours at most. In the center of the newborn glade was a huge rock, twice as tall as the tallest human.

Suddenly a light flashed from the top of the cliff, blinding Fadon and the others. As he shielded his eyes he could hear the surprised reactions from the rest of the group. "What's that?" "Oh gods." "Hey, what's happening?"

The light started to grow weaker until it was not much stronger than a full moon, though still centered at the top of the cliff, revealing three people suddenly standing there.

"People of the Yith", one of them said. It was enough to recognize the voice of their god and Fadon fell to his knees along with every other mortal present. "You are welcome."

"Man, going through all that jungle. That's pretty cool", the other aspect of the Twin God added. "Congratulations!"

"You are all here for a reason. We asked the Council of the Yith to find us the very best and brightest."

"You're all real good at something."

"Indeed. Warriors and thieves, mages and travelers, talkers and doers of every kind." Thal paused. "You have been choosen and you are to chose others, equal in skill and devotion."

Again, Fadon was surprised to find himself talking. "What is it that you want us to do, great Ymon-Thal?"

"Didn't we tell them? Oh yeah... we didn't tell them that, did we?"

"Patience", Thal said, seemingly more to Ymon than to their worshipers. "What we want you to do — need you to do — is to act as our eyes, ears and hands in this world. Our presence here is fading again, it will be generations before we can walk among you once more. As we has already informed the Council, Thal-Verys will remain to watch over you and enforce our will. But she will need help and the ten of you are the first of many."

Fadon looked around at his new companions and again found them doing the same.

Thal-Verys stepped forward, dragging the sun that was lighting them all up behind her. "In the name of Ymon-Thal, the First Beginning and Final End, I name you...no, I wish to name you the Verysian Order and bind you to enact the Twin God's Will." She stopped for a moment, looking more nervous than one would expect of a demigoddess. "Do you accept?"

A moment of silence passed before the jungle night was filled with shouts of approval and acceptance.

Spoiler: Action!
    Show

Influence a small group of mortals to create the Verysian Order (2 AP/1 DC)

The following description is not as the Order is the moment it is founded but as it will be in the years to come.

Founded in the Second Age, the purpose of the Verysian Order is as simple as their ways are varied — they enact the will of Thal-Verys (and through her Ymon-Thal) in the mortal world by any means or methods necessary. Ever since their founding, the Verysian Order have recruited new members with skills in many different areas. Among their numbers are necromancers, path walkers (primarily but not exclusively on the Path of the Soul), warriors, con artists, strategists, assassins and thieves. Members of all races, sexes and origins are accepted — only two things matter: great skill and loyalty to Ymon-Thal and Thal-Verys.

The Order is not a secret, exactly, but they do not advertise their existence and prefer to operate in the shadows. Individual members often keep their membership a secret and it isn't possible to apply for membership — new members are sought out by the Order, never the other way around. About a fourth of the Order resides in their head quarter, the Hall of Verys, located next to the Landing, and act in an official capacity. The rest have other occupations but act as information gatherers and are ready to act at a moment's notice.

Although they exist outside of the official Yith hierarchy it is understood that the Verysian Order may act outside the law and with little consideration for anyone else, they have even been known to demand a criminal's release or even just broken someone out themselves. That's not to say they act unopposed but even powerful Yith individuals and influential organisations rarely dare speak out against them in public. Other nations are another matter however, although members of the order frequently travel the world they usually only gather information, acting only when they deem it necessary and in total secret.

Their leader is elected by all members and hold the position for life, adding an honorary "Verys" in front of their name (for example, "Adana" would become "Verys-Adana"). If the four members of the Council of the Yith become deadlocked and a majority cannot agree on a decision the casting vote goes to the head of the Verysian Order, who is not otherwise involved in politics.