New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Nothing here has convinced me its worth the +2 some are saying

I say +1

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

I wonder if a Kensai build, enchanting your "mimic weapon" natural attack, would be any good?

[edit] Never mind, just read they don't get iterative attacks with their mimicked weapon. [/edit]

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

I was imagining things that can trap you, like forcecage or the various wall spells, which usually don't even allow a save to avoid them.
    Force cage doesnt make you helpless.
    So cant see why that would be an issue.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well, the wording of Dissolution is a bit open-ended (bolding mine):

When a keeper is captured, pinned, or held helpless, it has 10 rounds to free itself or be freed by another creature.
    ...pinned and helpless are defined game terms, but captured? Not so much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Helpless

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (-5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target). Ranged attacks gets no special bonus against helpless targets. Rogues can sneak attack helpless targets.

As a full-round action, an enemy can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe. An enemy can also use a bow or crossbow, provided he is adjacent to the target. The attacker automatically hits and scores a critical hit. (A rogue also gets her sneak attack damage bonus against a helpless foe when delivering a coup de grace.) If the defender survives, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die.

Delivering a coup de grace provokes attacks of opportunity.

Creatures that are immune to critical hits do not take critical damage, nor do they need to make Fortitude saves to avoid being killed by a coup de grace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinned

Held immobile (but not helpless) in a grapple.

Still, with immunity to mind-affecting effects, sleep, paralysis, subdual damage, ability damage and ability drain, the circumstances in which you are rendered helpless should be fairly limited.

I guess it all depends on how a DM interprets you being "captured".

5. - Top - End - #725

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Dissolution is triggered when you're "captured, pinned or helpless." I don't really know if forcecage or wall of ice (in dome shape) would meet the conditions as intended by the writers, but if your DM said you were "captured" when forcecage was cast over you, I'm not sure you'd really be able to argue with it (except on grounds of "you're a mean DM," or something like that).

Personally, I would just let the PC ignore Dissolution altogether, because enforcing it feels "mean" to me.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, Undead-like immunities, Resist 10 Everything, 200 ft of Blindsight, chunky attribute bonuses and a Nauseating 2d6 CON Cone of poison with a 1d4 rounds recharge time? And those are just the highlights?

... How is this +1? It has a Nauseating Cloudkill for a breath attack, is immune to nearly every condition in the book and resistant to the rest.

All of that on top of a killer chassis with great stat bonuses.

+2 LA easily.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I missed the 200ft Blindsight. That's enough to push it up to +2 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    So, Undead-like immunities, Resist 10 Everything, 200 ft of Blindsight, chunky attribute bonuses and a Nauseating 2d6 CON Cone of poison with a 1d4 rounds recharge time? And those are just the highlights?

... How is this +1? It has a Nauseating Cloudkill for a breath attack, is immune to nearly every condition in the book and resistant to the rest.

+2 LA easily.
    Huh, I had missed that that the poison was a cone - I had assumed it to be a single target ranged touch. Wow. Definitely standing by +2 then...

Also, is it blind, or not? Fluff says they have no eyes, yet they specifically get 60 ft. Darkvison on top of their Blindsight and Scent.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Huh, I had missed that that the poison was a cone - I had assumed it to be a single target ranged touch. Wow. Definitely standing by +2 then...

Also, is it blind, or not? Fluff says they have no eyes, yet they specifically get 60 ft. Darkvison on top of their Blindsight and Scent.
    Hmm, that might be an oversight... I think they can see up to 60 ft. in general, not including Blindsight, in monochrome. No colors, but probably enough to get by most of the time when adventuring.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #730

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hmm, that might be an oversight... I think they can see up to 60 ft. in general, not including Blindsight, in monochrome. No colors, but probably enough to get by most of the time when adventuring.
    The "Ecology of the Keeper" article from Dragon #353 says they lack eyes, but that it apparently doesn't impede their vision in anyway. The article obfuscates everything in an effort to enhance the "mystery" of the keepers, but it does postulate that they must have some kind of supernatural "not-vision" that's basically vision without visual vulnerabilities, or something like that. Personally, I think the writer just recognized the Blind/Darkvision contradiction and ran with it.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post

+2 LA easily.
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. The dissolution is one of those 'incredibly rough if applied/targeted, non-issue if it isn't' statuses, so I'm not taking that into account, but the bonuses these guys get are pretty notable. Add another +2 vote.

12. - Top - End - #732

WolfInSheepsClothing

+2s for the +2 god!

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    The "Ecology of the Keeper" article from Dragon #353 says they lack eyes, but that it apparently doesn't impede their vision in anyway. The article obfuscates everything in an effort to enhance the "mystery" of the keepers, but it does postulate that they must have some kind of supernatural "not-vision" that's basically vision without visual vulnerabilities, or something like that. Personally, I think the writer just recognized the Blind/Darkvision contradiction and ran with it.
    Interesting - good to know. I had no idea there was an ecology article for these weirdos!

As a DM, I'm not entirely sure these guys are a great CR 7 encounter - they have a lot of resistances, but not sure how much they would challenge a level appropriate party? Monsters with CR greater than their HD usually need significant magical powers or similar to be a threat.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Oh hey, their mimicked weapons don’t get iteratives. Bummer.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly, I underestimated the LA here. Ah well, that's what community feedback is for. :P

+1: 7 votes
    +2: 11 votes
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #736
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Clearly, I underestimated the LA here. Ah well, that's what community feedback is for. :P

+1: 7 votes
    +2: 11 votes
    It's either a top tier +1 or a solid +2 (or a weak +3).

Given the significant list of immunities (it's actually about the most complete immunity list of pretty much anything around that ECL range), I would incline more to the +2 LA.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Kelp Angler

Plant monsters: aquatic edition.

At first glance, the kelp angler looks like a pretty typical plant monster, but it's actually got a few neat tricks up on its sleeve! A pity they have those 11 RHD, though...

Ability scores are, surprise surprise, skewed towards constitution and strength, with -4 intelligence being the only penalty. Kelp anglers have all the helpful immunities plants get, fire resistance 20 (how often will someone cast a fire spell on submerged monsters?), immunity to cold and bludgeoning (!) damage, and regeneration 4 that's only overcome by acid damage. The anglers also get 100 ft. blindsight, though they surprisingly have normal sight too. Finally, +10 Hide is somewhat useful, and it's one of your two good class skills so you might as well invest in that.

Offensively, anglers have four tendrils (basically equal to longswords in damage), that get Improved Grab but no other interesting bonuses. They also have a few SLAs: 3/day Entangle and Dispel Magic are neat, and 1/day Confusion can come in handy, but none of it is ridiculously powerful.

There are, of course, a number of issues with this character concept. The issues with item slots and limbs are obvious, and kelp anglers are fully aquatic to boot. The latter is less of a problem than it might seem, though: with its 20 ft. land speed it's actually not unthinkable to have the cleric cast Air Breathing once and have it move along for the day (or until some foe casts Dispel Magic).

At 11 RHD, the cost of playing a kelp angler is steep, being practically playable requires jumping through some hoops, and you don't get a lot in return (Regeneration is cool I guess). -0 LA, though with niche viability in an aquatic campaign.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-05-07 at 02:43 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #738

-0. Too many caveats be it limbs, air breathing, speech. It's okay but not good enough to make up for 11 plant HD.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    -0. Too many caveats be it limbs, air breathing, speech. It's okay but not good enough to make up for 11 plant HD.
    Agreed. Mark me down for LA -0.

20. - Top - End - #740

Goblin

I think I'm also voting LA -0 for the kelp angler. I have a strange fondness for this monster, but it I don't think it does enough useful things (and doesn't do them well enough) to make it to LA +0.

For a long time, I could have sworn that this creature had an extended reach, but it doesn't even have the usual reach of a tall creature. That makes me sad, because the picture looks like something that has a long reach.

21. - Top - End - #741

Plant HD are pretty meh and it doesn't have any extra nice abilities to compensate for 11 of them.

LA -0.

Honestly, probably more like -2 or -3 if we were going with negative numbers.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

22. - Top - End - #742

Easy LA -0. It's a pretty decent wild shape form, but playing one straight up is less than decent.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Ability scores and reach are disappointing for a Large creature at all, and much more so for an 11-HD Large creature. I'm still voting LA +0, though. I can't see as this is worse than a human barbarian. It's much tougher and harder to stop, of course. The four natural attacks, SLAs, and bonuses to both Hide and Move Silently give it something to do besides hope to sponge up damage. I expect most GMs would be pretty liberal in determining how well a tendril can manipulate stuff. Item slots and speech are the only serious downsides. Well, there's the whole aquatic thing, but I always take it as a given that a GM will only approve a monster if there's some way it can work in the adventure's environment.

Incidentally, the tendrils aren't as good as a longsword -- the crit range comes from Improved Crit feat (for which it wouldn't have qualified the last time it gained a feat, but whatever).
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-05-04 at 11:44 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

With fronds like those, who needs anemones?

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    This might be the worst pun that has ever literally made me laugh out loud.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I agree - truly one for the pun hall of fame!

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

What the hells are you -

Oh. Oh my god. Goddamnit.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Yup. -0 from me too. Plant type is cool. Plant HD are in the annoying "worse cleric" hit dice category that dominates monsters (pun not intended). Not much there to overcome that hurdle either.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I agree - truly one for the pun hall of fame!
    I certainly didn't invent it, but half of comedy is timing.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Water you all so shocked by?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II