New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    So... He rejected the Ether to join a group of people who are trying to give up the Ether, but who still intend to steal a whole bunch of Ether from some source or another to move away from the Ether to another place that has Ether.

Oh well... At least it sounds like some form of Zen...
    Pull out the jargon, and we're left with the forces of Technology/Order/Reason not really liking or understanding Magic, but knowing it exists and has power; and wanting that power for themselves to help create a more Technology/Order/Reason-friendly world (or go to a part where only they are using whatever powers magic for their Technology/Order/Reason ends). Reminds me of Mage: the Ascension/wakening or stuff like that.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think the key to understanding the Shadow Men is to look back at what we already know about the setting.

So, The Court was founded on the principle of Etheric Science, the impossible technologies of the Court are made possible by combining The Ether and mundane Science and Engineering.

Since then, they have learned that the Ether can be extracted, measured, and used, but not Understood in any real way. By it's nature it defies understanding.

The Shadow Men therefore reject The Ether, they cannot understand it, therefore they cannot trust it. The reliable uses of it may stop working tomorrow. For all they know the things they can reliably do with it, like Parley's Teleportation, only happen at the whim of some powerful entity like Coyote.

The Shadow Men hate that, but the Ether is baked into the very heart of the Court. Dragonslayers and ghosts and psychics are everywhere. Heck, the Robots themselves are magical in nature.

So they want to start over, they want to create a new Court, one where they understand everything that's going on. However, so much of what makes Gunnerkrigg Court possible is based on the Ether that they can't just go cold-turkey with the Ether, that would just make them another MIT or whatever.

Their solution, as far as I guess, is to Steal a massive amount of Etheric energy to use as the basis of their New Court, then take it far away from any godlike entities. The Court was built in the Gillette Wood, to make use of the ample supply of Etheric energy found there, which means that they don't control it. This New Court would run it's etheric technologies off the battery of stolen power they brought with them, something safe and controlled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Ether way, I don't get it.
    The best kind of Zen. Also, good pun.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    The Court was built in the Gillette Wood, to make use of the ample supply of Etheric energy found there, which means that they don't control it. This New Court would run it's etheric technologies off the battery of stolen power they brought with them, something safe and controlled.
    ...Right up until the battery runs flat.

I assume that there are other revelations to come that will make this make sense.

Oh, random thought while I was half-awake this morning: Zimmy reversed Loup's splitting of Annie, and Loup was surprised (and angry, 'natch) about it. Where does that put Zimmy on the power scale?
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2022-01-08 at 04:31 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

1) I'm assuming "not allowed to go" and "not alive to go" are synonyms in this case.

2) And, by "go," I wonder if they mean, "Wipe away every sign of anything that ever used ether," including the forest, people like Annie, etc.

3) Of course, it's also possible they have some way of their own to use ether (or are hoping they can use it) and will wipe out the competition. Envy has pushed folks to do things like that in the past. But, I'm still betting on etheric armageddon.

4) Since ether seems to help the world go round and also plays a role in the afterlife in this story, that would be a very, very bad thing.

5) I think the court managed to corrupt a bodhisattva. I'm not Buddhist, but I thought the flaws of our world (including inequality) were supposed to be driven by desire or craving. The envy over etheric abilities would seem to be right up there. They've got a bodhisattva who is working for a group driven by jealousy and desire. To serve them, he's willing to not use his abilities to end suffering (or he is in theory) and considers helping others wrong if it means using the extra abilities he's been granted to do so.

6) If being left behind is fatal, I see why not letting that happen was the bribe/threat that made Annie's dad cooperative. Not sure what he knows about this--he doesn't seem to trust the court, either--but I think he knew Annie was in danger.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Firbolg in the Playground

IIRC, Zimmy said she thought the Court was almost done with her. Presumably that means she won't be allowed in the new Court, since she can use the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    6) If being left behind is fatal, I see why not letting that happen was the bribe/threat that made Annie's dad cooperative. Not sure what he knows about this--he doesn't seem to trust the court, either--but I think he knew Annie was in danger.
    But Annie can use the ether, so it would seem she won't be allowed in the new Court no matter what. I think we need another info-drop to make sense of what is going on.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    1) I'm assuming "not allowed to go" and "not alive to go" are synonyms in this case.

2) And, by "go," I wonder if they mean, "Wipe away every sign of anything that ever used ether," including the forest, people like Annie, etc.
    Why would we assume either of these, rather than 'we're leaving for safer shores, and you can't come with us?' It seems like Shell would be a little more actively upset about her (or at least Aata) not going.

7. - Top - End - #547

So the Shadow Men don't know about how Kat is actually an Ether-user too? They should have been clued by how nobody understood how her antigravity device works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean...there is surely no way Kat is leaving her best friend, her girlfriend, her life's work, and nearly all of her other friends as well actually. All of those are disqualified for either being either users, non-humans, or both. (At least i assumed talking to animals is ether use.)
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2022-01-14 at 10:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So the Shadow Men don't know about how Kat is actually an Ether-user too? They should have been clued by how nobody understood how her antigravity device works.
    I'm not totally convinced Kat knows she's got anything to do with the Ether.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

This plan doesn't make a ton of sense. Do we know... Anyone who would go?

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    This plan doesn't make a ton of sense. Do we know... Anyone who would go?
    It makes a lot of sense for the court as a whole(given how they are portrayed I'm sure lots of people that have never been on screen would want to go) but since most main characters wouldn't want to leave, I doubt the story will follow the exodus if it occurs.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

12. - Top - End - #552

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Why would we assume either of these, rather than 'we're leaving for safer shores, and you can't come with us?' It seems like Shell would be a little more actively upset about her (or at least Aata) not going.
    I'm assuming Shell and Aata aren't on the need to know list.

From what we've seen ether users can show up anywhere. Also, it seems like the court should already have the means to pack up and relocate without all this work. Sure, they'd leave some buildings behind, but Loup has seriously damaged those already. Collect your insurance and build elsewhere (yes, that's assuming they have coverage against supernatural beings attacking. But, given the neighborhood, they should).

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

I second the notion that the exodus will not be followed by most of the current cast.
    However, if this means there will be only a few dozen of the humans left in the current court area, that may mean this conflict with Loup will be the climax, as opposed to one last story arc after Loup is gone centered around Zimmy and "Omega".
    We're close either way...
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hmmm... Remembering Shell's comment here, I wonder if this is Aata at least trying to make sure that the non-court folk aren't suddenly left hanging.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hmmm... Remembering Shell's comment here, I wonder if this is Aata at least trying to make sure that the non-court folk aren't suddenly left hanging.
    Given his history as a bodhisattva, are you surprised?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

If Aata is what it's implied he is, then there's also some things to learn about Coyote (or the fragment of Coyote) in the way he treated and commented on Aata.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    If Aata is what it's implied he is, then there's also some things to learn about Coyote (or the fragment of Coyote) in the way he treated and commented on Aata.
    The bitterness is likely in regards to Aata's views of the Ether. Aata may well have privately resented not being allowed to use the Ether at all...or maybe he resented that it was a part of him?
    He may be on our protagonist's side in the future, but it's plausible the fragment was making the same conclusion - Aata not being allowed to use the Ether was because of jealousy from the Court. And, as a result, much of Loup's wrath is coming in part because of said jealousy.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    The bitterness is likely in regards to Aata's views of the Ether.
    Or that Aata rejected it in favor for the Court.

Aata not being allowed to use the Ether was because of jealousy from the Court. And, as a result, much of Loup's wrath is coming in part because of said jealousy.
    Jealousy, probably not. Remember, they were trying to manipulate the ether using machines, rather than 'abilities'. He most likely wasn't allowed to use the ether because it would skew their results during testing by drawing in ether naturally, rather than through mechanical means.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Jealousy, probably not. Remember, they were trying to manipulate the ether using machines, rather than 'abilities'. He most likely wasn't allowed to use the ether because it would skew their results during testing by drawing in ether naturally, rather than through mechanical means.
    Hmm, good point. Pragmatism wins again!

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Given his history as a bodhisattva, are you surprised?
    Not especially - Less by being described as a bodhisattva, more with his dealings with the fae a few pages earlier when he had nothing to gain. Not much to go on, true, but after a major disaster he was still prepared to be polite to the two fae.

21. - Top - End - #561

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    The bitterness is likely in regards to Aata's views of the Ether. Aata may well have privately resented not being allowed to use the Ether at all...or maybe he resented that it was a part of him?
    He may be on our protagonist's side in the future, but it's plausible the fragment was making the same conclusion - Aata not being allowed to use the Ether was because of jealousy from the Court. And, as a result, much of Loup's wrath is coming in part because of said jealousy.
    At the moment, I think the bitterness really referred to the injustice of the ether, which won't be accessible to everyone. Aata would be bitter towards this fact, because of his kindness towards other people.

Coyote also calls him cousin, so I assume that he sees him as himself, born from people's beliefs. And failed because Aata didn't embrace his own nature and instead is living like any other man.

By the way, Aata tryng to be just a human reminds me of what Ysengrin said after Coyote revealed his great secret: "Does [Coyote] think we would be mere simple minded animals were it not for humans? Impossible. I cannot bear the thought." Besides how Aata might be feeling about his own situation, I can't help but feel that the Shadow Men are short-circuiting the process. If powers are due to belief, if everyone believed that every human has a connection to the ether, then maybe it would really happen. Instead, they force their adherents to act as if they had none, reinforcing the belief that men have no connection to the ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Oh. Hi Loup.

Who'd have guessed he got to that point?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It's not a good sign, is it...

I went back to "She Gave Us An Ocean" to see if Loup got in there, but there's no sign of it - so must be more recent.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Oh. Hi Loup.

Who'd have guessed he got to that point?
    He's acting smart. For once. Whatever Coyote told him must have rocked him to the point he decided being ego-stupid was a bad idea.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I reread it just to make sure, and Kat never actually met that form. Admittedly I am unsure to what (if any) degree of making human bodies Kat has a direct hand in vs. just making the process automated so it is possible she wouldn't realize he wasn't one of the former robots anyways.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2022-01-26 at 02:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nice parallel to Renard posessing a random court schmo to woo Surma.

All numbers are grammatically correct

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Admittedly I am unsure to what (if any) degree of making human bodies Kat has a direct hand in vs. just making the process automated so it is possible she wouldn't realize he wasn't one of the former robots anyways.
    That was in the chapter 'She Gave Us An Ocean'

They can customize their appearances.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hmmm. Shell went from "Thank you. I love this dress." to "This old thing? Why, I only wear it when I don't care how I look.".

She's putting on some form of act, but for who and why? Well, apart from Aata, of course...

29. - Top - End - #569
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well she is saying the second line while posing.

30. - Top - End - #570

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmm. Shell went from "Thank you. I love this dress." to "This old thing? Why, I only wear it when I don't care how I look.".

She's putting on some form of act, but for who and why? Well, apart from Aata, of course...
    I think the first time she was too riled up to put on false modesty.