New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Please. Valefore couldn’t steal a glance at me. Besides, would I really have stuck around to chat if my M.O was Theft?” Her eyes narrowed like a stalled camera lens. “Not that I don’t love the attempt to catch me out. Like I said; I’m not exactly linking arms with The Liars here. But you’re saying a few celestials clearly are important enough to be mentioned. Who did Lord Bethrezen deign to name?

As Carol asked the question, it dawned on her that even with the Symphony revealing Lillian’s love of gossip, and with the supernatural charm resonating feelings of trust throughout the baker’s being, answering these questions still were small readily given Needs. It’s either tie myself up in more geases, or Heaven stumbles blindly. The more we know, the more souls we save, and the more likely Met can set up shop on prime real estate. She settled for a shrug.

That thief is more important than you think.” Carol thought better of explaining Flavius had been integral in granting Fire the central Tether, and was plotting beyond it, and instead let her own confidence back the words. “Important enough that Kobal would still get a kick out of turning Theft’s own nature against itself, at best. Or you geasing a few Burnt gangsters at worse; them being connected to Baal and all. All you have to do is make a batch of your most persuasive treats sometime, lend me one of your vans, and I’ll arrange the rest. That way, whatever your plans might be, your Prince will support it.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-10-13 at 04:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler
    Show

(3d6)[2][3][3](8)

Camael, Redemption

OOC NOTE: this assumes Camael actually does have a desire for attunement-enhanced geas-treats. If she doesn't, let me know and i"ll make a new post.

Lillian chuckles. "Okay. We'll hold some cards close to our chest. And both Lord Kobal and Lord Haagenti hold my heart, so I'm not telling you which one holds my Heart, if you catch my drift. Only Lord Bethrezen, Lord Galafarsel, and... urgh... Lord Greasestain know that, of those in town. But I'd be very glad to bake you some tricky treats with Lord Haagenti's favor. Unfortunately, I have to offer the food for the trick to hold. If I gave it to you, I'm afraid you'd scarf it down instead of whoever you plan it for. But I could make something to help the spirits of a Burnt leader, or for Flavius, if you'd like. Flavius would know what's up, I'm sure, but I don't mind if he's angry at me." She pauses a moment. "He does know the Song of Possession, though, so be careful with that if you mess with him. He's too cowardly to risk The Game going after him for getting a fellow demon killed, but he might play his own tricks with your body if you get on his bad side."

The last comment shows your Charm is still having some effect, at least.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-10-14 at 08:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inian stops in his tracks when he hears the muffled cry of "Help". He looks around suspiciously, but since he doesn't see anyone else in the corridor, he pulls aside the rug and kneels down on the floor. "Stay quiet, but answer me if you can," he whispers back. "Who are you, and how long have you been down there?"

He looks around again to make sure no one's coming, and asks in the same quiet voice, "And do you know who knows the code to the door?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #364

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: treats
    Show

Yup, was talking about geased treats.

What did she mean by ‘something to help the spirits of the Burnt leader’?

Carol again appeared surprised, if impressed, when Lillian casually pivoted away from the impulse to answer the probing question of who she served. “You’re right – there’s a danger I’d mishandle it if you gave them to me. And thanks for the scoop on the Song of Possession. Really, Flavius and Trip seem to have a connection. Get one and you nudge the other. Ideally, I’d ask you to go for Trip if it’s more subtle. As you’re the baking artisan here, who would be easier to snag, Flavius or Trip?” Carol allowed herself a smile, seeing another potential morale blow to the Burnt lining up. Claiming the Tether would have to happen in stages.

And, at the risk of serving you for the next decade by burrowing yet more geases in my soul, I’m still curious about the new celestials in town. Any you can reveal that you or your Prince wouldn’t mind to let us nobodies know about?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

There's a pause, when a wild and loud giggling. It sounds like whoever was talking much have been saying 'Help' loudly to be heard, since the giggling can barely be heard now.

Inian hears the subtle and quiet Noise of a point of essence being spent, and then hears a calmer voice more audibly through the door.
    "Prisoners, but also patients. Though I would prefer freedom. The code is 159951. There are doctors and guards in this basement, but not near us yet. Though that laughing one will draw them soon." The giggling starts up again.

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler
    Show
    Just meant bringing food (e.g., geas-trap food of her attunement) to a leader of the Burnt to get a geas on them. "lift their spirits" = raise morale

Lillian smiles. "I joke around with Flavius sometimes. He is a fool, but I can appreciate some of his pranks. Trip is more weary about me and my sisters. I'll see if Flavius is willing to come by for a meal, then you can tell me what you want from him--and what you'll pay me for it or how it'll please my Lord."

"As to other demons... you are a curious one, Carol. You don't want them knowing you're in town, even Bethrezen, perhaps? Well, at least I have denialability--I don't know he doesn't know about you." She rolls her eyes. "Lord Greasestain, Baron of Fast Food, has his Tether at Poppy's Diner. I wouldn't tell you, but he wants people to visit him and is obnoxiously open about his plans. Hopes to replace Madrizel's club as a meeting place, for angels, demons, and ethereals. So there ya go."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Tommy silps on some latex gloves and cases Rickman's apartment quickly and efficiently, though he makes sure to turn the water off first. This is California. After he's done casing the joint Tommy dumps the drugs down the drain and pockets the gun and cash. The drugs are an evil that the world doesn't need; no good can come from anyone who shows up there taking the gun; and Rickman certainly doesn't need the cash anymore. Tommy makes a note to himself - maybe a reliever could take on Rickman's persona as a role; maybe even he could. Something to talk to the boss about.

Tommy pulls out his phone and takes pictures of all the notes pertaining to property in the burnt district - enough to be clearly readable. These might be important; he'll pursue them at his leisure. Once he's done, Tommy checks to see if everything is as close as it can be to the original appearance and leaves.

On the way back out, Tommy walks up the doorman and claps him on the shoulder. "You interested in some extra money?" If the kid really bites, Tommy enters the pitch: "You and your residents don't want to deal with the kind of folks who might be showing up at apartment 136. $200 now if you agree to tell me when anyone other than the owner shows up snooping, and $200 if you alert me to somebody. Don't do nothing, just text me "hello" to this number." Tommy gives him the number to his burner phone and sends a test message.

Then Tommy steps out. He walks around the apartment, checking the street for observation. He walks around the back, pulls the gun, dumps the bullets from the magazine in a sewer and shatters the upper and lower receivers and dumps them in different dumpsters or trash cans, careful not to leave any fingerprints. Then off to Rickman's office.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Resonance roll on the doorman: (1d6)[5] (1d6)[1] check digit: (1d6)[5] +4
    Perception roll on the street to determine if there's anyone casing the complex: (1d6)[6](1d6)[5] check digit: (1d6)[2]

7. - Top - End - #367

RedKnightGirl

Wait, you can get Flavius here to talk peacefully?” Carol asked. “Forget the geases then. There’s something more valuable for all of us. Friends are few and further between in our line of existence, and you’ve probably already guessed it by now, but certain powers don’t care much for me right now. Asmodeans in particular have a difference of opinion. But that’s no different than both your Princes. And no different than Flavius. Would you be interested in the three of us having a chat over that? Worse case scenario, if it doesn’t work out, you can always geas us both for the time spent and be done with it.

8. - Top - End - #368

"Alright, I'm coming down. And I'm wearing scrubs, so if anyone's going to attack the doctors on sight, keep them away from the door." Inian keys in the code and, if the door unlocks, swings it open and drops down as quietly as he can.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

The doorman pauses a minute, but shrugs. "Yeah. I've seen some shifty-looking people visit him. Sounds like a deal."

Spoiler: Resonance/Perception roll
    Show
    He's iffy about it, but willing to. Being honest, as the money will be helpful.

Perception roll failed, so no info one way or the other.

Rickman's office looks more like what would one expect for him. It is in a strip of stores downtown, fairly similar to how Astarieth's own loan storefront is. The outside ornamentation looks like it's from the 80s. He is able to enter easily with the keys. There's a small waiting room with a bathroom, then leading into Rickman's office. The furniture is somewhat ostentatious. Drawers are locked, but one of the keys unlocks a drawer with other keys. Inside the drawers are a laptop, several burner phones, and some papers on various clients. (None of the clients look to be high-profile.) The other furniture includes a sofa, chairs, printer, and a shred machine.

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[6][4][1](11) EDIT: okay, no extra geas on you for her getting Flavius to come :P

Lillian looks at Carol puzzingly for a few moments, but ends up smiling. "Sure. Why not? I'll even bake a special meal for the occasion, though I'll wait to decide if I serve it to you or Flavius. Heh. Deal?"

With that, she seems ready for you to depart to the hospital.

Inian, War

Rather than the 'door' retracting to reveal stairs, it lowers like an elevator lift. There is some mechanical noise to its movement, but it is quieter than one would suspect. After Inian goes down, he sees a button on the nearby way that calls or sends back the lift.

He finds himself at the end of dimly-lit but clean hallway. There are some drains on the floor and a little dampness, as if it were recently cleaned. Some cells are down the hall, mostly unoccupied. One houses a duo Inian recognizes as the two Soldiers or undead that were guarding the entryway to the Burnt, though they now wear white patient gowns instead of thuggish attire. One giggles uncontrollably at seeing Inian, but the other simply looks uninterested at someone's arrival. In another, nearby cell is a tall man of Asiatic features. His hair is in a long braid, he wears a floral-patterned kimono, and a katana is sheathed at his waist. He gives a nod and says, "Greetings. Those two do not deserve rescue, but I would appreciate freedom if you are inclined. I am sick currently, but it is not contagious." You recognize his voice as the one who gave you the code.

From far down the hallway, you hear something like steps, but it's hard to tell if they're coming or going.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-10-21 at 03:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

The doorman pauses a minute, but shrugs. "Yeah. I've seen some shifty-looking people visit him. Sounds like a deal."
    "Done." Tommy peels ten twenties off a cash roll in his pocket and puts them in the tip jar.

Drawers are locked, but one of the keys unlocks a drawer with other keys. Inside the drawers are a laptop, several burner phones, and some papers on various clients. (None of the clients look to be high-profile.) The other furniture includes a sofa, chairs, printer, and a shred machine.
    Tommy grabs the laptop, power cable, and phones, and looks through the drawers for any post-its with a password. Then he takes a quick look at the clients list and quick shots of the names. Finally, he opens the shredder bin. Hopefully its one of the cheap ones that leaves long fat strips, not the good ones that turn paper into dust and confetti. Finally, he cases the joint - poking the couch, looking for papers on the printer, etc. No way a guy like Rickman doesn't have a safe somewhere.

That being done, he texts the PI - <gonna be five late. See you there> as he does, he realizes he completely missed Inian's text. He reads it, shrugs, and moves on. Guess he doesn't need a hand.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Perception to case the office. (1d6)[6](1d6)[4] check digit: (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-10-22 at 04:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Unfortunately, the shred bin does appear to be a good one. Also no indication of passwords. Seems like the sleazy lawyer knows how to cover his tracks.

Poking around the building, he almost finds nothing, but in the last bits notices one of decorative panels on the wall is a tad loose. It easily comes out, revealing a duffel bag with a gun, a (presumably fake--Rickman's face but other identifying info) passport and IDs and birth certificate, a burner phone unopened in its box, and several bundles of hundreds. Looks like it's Rickman's "get out of the city quick" bag.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-10-22 at 10:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372

Inian jumps when the door underneath him starts to descend instead of unlocking like he expected. He gets himself back under control before he loses his balance though, and rides the platform down in silence.

Once it reaches the bottom, Inian steps off cautiously and surveys the hallway he just entered. He ignores the two presumably Soldiers of Hell as he passes his eyes over them, mentally dismissing them as not being worth his time. He takes in the drains, the wet flooring, and the empty cells, and his gaze hardens. Walking authoritatively, if quietly, Inian goes over to the cell with the Asian prisoner in it. "I don't think I would be too concerned even if it were contagious," he whispers. "Are you a Soldier? And who for?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

The man raises an eyebrow at the question, as if hearing the capital letter to 'Soldier'.

"No, and yes. Hmm... I am Hideyoshi, one who lives by the code of bushido. To survive some time ago, I agreed to perform favors in exchange for food and safe lodging. I have since learnt that who I agreed to aid was not worthy of aid -- indeed, if asked again in this day, perhaps I would choose destruction -- but I am still bound. I was about to slay those two" -- he points at the Burnt -- "as they tried to kill a woman last night, but the three of us were sedated and captured. I would free myself, but I agreed to be tested for disease and stay if found ill, and, to my surprise, I was...
    "However, I live by honor, even in service to one who is dishonorable. I am fulfilling my oaths by protecting the innocent of this city, against those who would prey on them. If you are one of honor, I ask you to free me."

From everything he says, he sounds earnest and sincere.

The more-vocal Burnt shouts out, "Dude's a crazy sword-wielding lunatic, bro! We were just having some fun. Free us if you wanna let someone go."
    The other one giggles and shouts the words "FUN! DINNER!", receving a frown and a half-hearted punch from his buddy.

The samurai (?) frowns, and down the hall you hear the clip of a radio as someone says, "The patients are shouting. You want me to look into it, or is the doctor still upstairs? Those guys freak me out."

A moment later, a female voice says, "I'll be down soon," in an exasperated tone.

14. - Top - End - #374

"I guess that puts a time limit on our chat. Did they tell you what disease you have that's not transmissible?" Inian looks down at the bars of the cage and sighs. "I'm going to get you out whatever you say. You could have admitted to a lot worse than being a mercenary and I still would."

He grabs the handle to the cell with one hand and a bar with the other. "I don't know if the metal is going to snap at all, but you might want to take a few steps back just in case there's any shrapnel." He grabs ahold of the door with one hand and the cell wall with his other, takes a deep breath in, and starts trying to pull it free from the lock.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Perception rolls for Noise.

Giggles (3d6)[3][1][5](9)
    Not-Giggles (3d6)[4][3][6](13)
    Samurai dude (3d6)[4][1][6](11)
    ??? (3d6)[5][5][5](15)

As Inian pulls on the metal bar, it breaks apart quickly with a snap and a small burst of Noise. They were strong, and likely could hold your average celestial, but nothing extra reinforced and nothing to Inian's strength. One of the thugs starts giggling excessively, jumping up and down with a manic look on his face. "Don't free us! Don't free us!" he yells. "Free and kill! Free and kill!" The other one takes a closer look at Inian, swears, and backs away to the far wall of his cell, muttering, "No..., No.... That dude from the Pits..."

Hideyoshi gives a bow. "Thank you. I hope you are one in the service of Heaven. I would prefer not to be indebted to you, but honor dictates differently. I owe you honesty." There's a shout of "What the?" as you hear someone running towards you. Hideyoshi quickly says, "HIV. We were all infected. She is curious about those two's dead tissue and how it cannot support a virus; I gather they are vampires. The virus is somehow persisting in me, which is odd as I should be immune. I am a spirit of the Japanese art of honor and war, regretfully in service to Beleth as she saved me during the horrors of Purity's Crusade. I am a nightmare to those who would harm the innocent in dark alleyways and hedges. Fifteen Burnt have died to my blade this past month, four of them Soldiers or undead. And you? Would you consider yourself my foe?"

His hand is on his blade. There is no sense of hostility, but a sense that he will defend himself if attacked. He has admitted to being an ethereal -- not itself a criminal offense per se, but something looked poorly upon by Lawrence and Dominic. Moreover, he is in service to Beleth, Demon Princess of Nightmares -- something deserving of death, though not necessarily obligating Inian to perform the execution. His regret sounds sincere.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-10-28 at 08:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376

"I think a friend of mine would tell me I've already said too much about myself," Inian replies. "If you are honestly repenting I don't feel like I should be attacking you right now. Now, them, on the other hand..."

He reaches up under his scrubs, pulls the work glove from the lining of the pants, and slips it on. "I am going to have to kill them. They recognize me and definitely don't repent." Thinking quickly, he also tears off one of the scrub's sleeves and ties it around the bottom of his face in an attempt at a mask. "Better late than never, I guess. You can try to fight your way out alone, or wait a minute for me to be done with this."

Inian walks over to the other cell and similarly pulls it open. He dumps the bar onto the ground and immediately charges the two with fists swinging.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Hideyoshi nods respectfully, but smiles a grim smile at the idea of slaying the undead.
    "May I help? I plan to simply go to the ethereal realm, but I will stay to make certain they die."

Spoiler: the battle, in summary
    Show
    We could roll it out, but they are nothing to Inian, much less him and Hideyoshi. Especially as their dodges are futile (e.g., they can't succeed on a Dodge roll now that you have the Seraph Attunement).

You can choose whether he helps or not. He respects you picking this as your fight.

As the undead scream in agony, you hear someone in the distance on the radio. "There's fighting!" The female voice responds, "Stay away. I don't know what they are, but they're dangerous. I'll call corporate. Just get to the safe room." You then hear footsteps running away from your location. A few seconds later, red emergency lights go on and there's a (relatively quiet) alarm buzzing.

The undead soon lay destroyed. Hideyoshi gives Inian another bow and places an origami swan on the floor.
    "If you burn this, I will learn your location and intent towards me. If you wish for help in a fight, and mean me no ill, I would enjoy fighting alongside you. I make no promises, but I hope we do not meet as enemies."

He gives time to respond, but soon vanishes with a ripple of Noise and the smell of jasmine blossums. It looks much like an angel assuming celestial form as he fades to the Marches.

18. - Top - End - #378

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Tommy thinks hard about grabbing the bugout bag, but he doesn't need it and it's less of a threat in a locked office than a criminal's home. He resets the office the way it was, closes the door, and leaves it the way it was behind him. He pulls his gloves off as he sets back into the car, and moves onto the next appointment.

He texts the PI - <see you at Beanster's in a few.>

Barring any surprises, Tommy tries to arrive at the coffee shop early, assess the patrons, and wait for the PI. When he notices the guy Tommy steps up, greets him, and buys him a drink and lunch.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: time
    Show
    Let's say it's 10 AM. Sorry if that's contrary to any other times I've stated earlier.

Camael, Redemption

The drive to the hospital goes without event. A member of the cafeteria staff greets her and her team helps unload the treats. She offers Carol to come visit the kids while they give some out for a morning snack.

Otherwise, the hospital seems normal. A couple orderlies are taking a smoke break nearby and joke (in normal, dark medical humor) about some gun-wound patients, harkening to the gang violence of the Burnt's in-fighting, but nothing extremely unusual.

Astarieth, Judgement

The PI is slightly overweight and has a three-day stubble on his chin, wearing a tan trenchcoat and hat slightly reminiscient of **** Tracey. Not so much to really look like him, but playing with the theme of a PI. Probably helps land clients.

He gives a "Hi" back at the greeting and offers to shake hands, gladly accepting the meal.

"So, what's the job you have in mind?"

20. - Top - End - #380

Inian gladly takes the help in fighting the two undead, quickly killing the pair. "I wish you the best in your fight against the Enemy," he replies, and then blinks in surprise when Hideyoshi disappears in front of him. Then he laughs, saying, "Oh, right, ethereal."

After retrieving the swan, Inian finds he has a decision to make. If he were to retreat now, he'd probably get away, but any further attempts at investigating the facility would face off against higher security. Whereas if he goes further in, he might find out what's going on but will almost undoubtedly have a worse time getting out without causing Noise. Inian decides that now is as good of a time as any to press his luck and starts running down the corridor after the footsteps.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #381

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

The PI is slightly overweight and has a three-day stubble on his chin, wearing a tan trenchcoat and hat slightly reminiscient of **** Tracey. Not so much to really look like him, but playing with the theme of a PI. Probably helps land clients.

He gives a "Hi" back at the greeting and offers to shake hands, gladly accepting the meal.

"So, what's the job you have in mind?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Resonance on Sam: (1d6)[5](1d6)[5] check digit: (1d6)[1]+4, +3 if he doesn't accept the handshake.

Expect that resonance would reveal definitely if he wasn't really Sam Rivers, or if he was more than Sam Rivers.

For the 'little ask', Astarieth might ask the PI to check for info on the Factions demon posing as a highschooler, especially the 'kids' movement habits.

Tommy sits down with the P.I. and offers his hand. "Tommy Rodriguez. Are you Sam Rivers?" Tommy gives a moment for the introductions and a collegial cup of coffee, then gets down to business.

"I'm mostly looking for information, and I'll pay for what you know. I got shook down by a lawyer and a couple cops yesterday. I was surprised by how overt it was. Then I hear the building I'm renting from is getting scooped up by a street gang. I hear people have dirt on the police chief. I want the lay of the land, and I hear you know stuff about it."

"That's the big ask. This might not be the place to talk about it all. I got a little ask too, more of a standard snoop job, after we cover the big business."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope you're doing okay, JoyWonderLove.

I don't have anything particular planned for the hospital unless you do snooping, so leaving the 'ball in your court' for now.

Inian, War

Spoiler: touching the swan
    Show

Perception [roll0]

Urgh, screwed up dice roll, so in-person roll. You don't detect anything supernatural about it, but, then again, it is some ethereal creation, so who knows.
    This was a "sense an artifact" roll.

As Inian races down the cooridor, he sees several other cells, but they are all empty. Past that, there are medical or surgical rooms set up, all looking pristine.

He hears someone running, but Inian's speed is coming up on the person even with him getting a head start. A gangly, bespectled man holding a clipboard and with a radio on his belt looks terrified at seeing an unknown man -- with some blood on his hand and clothes -- running towards him. In a panick, he drops to the ground and tries to shield his face with the clipboard. A few yard further down the hallway, Inian sees a room with a keypad, a steel-reinforced door, and the words "Safe Room" emblazoned on top of it.

The man is muttering, "P-please, I'm just a doctor. Please..."

Astarieth, Judgement

"Yeah, I'm Sam Rivers."

The PI gives a small chuckle at the description of the land. "Well, you got that right. Hmm... lawyer doing a shakedown for a gang? I got an idea who, but I reckon you already know who gave you the shakedown if it's that fellow, and I don't give away info for free. But I can provide most of that, and look into some other if you want. Don't know about gangs buying property--just squatting in the charred ruins, but I can look into it.

"Now, dirt on the police chief. If you mean the hoity politician protecting the rich side of town, guy's as corrupt as most, but you sound surprised so I think you mean the police chief of the real police station. I used to work there, y'know? Guy's as clean as a whistle, far as I know, but after getting canned I'd love to find some dirt on him, so I can definitely look into it. You wanna share your source?"

When talking about location security, he shrugs. "Coffee joint is as good as place as most. Stupid college kids or business men on their phones or laptops, not listening to a word around them. I think we can talk here.
    "So, the big ask. I got some info already, and let's say it costs two hundred. What you want me to look into is kinda risky, so one hundred an hour. I'd normally charge more, but I feel like giving a discount for the chief, especially if you share how you heard he's up to no good. I give you an update each day, if you want, and you can decide if you want to run more hours on your tab or not."

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

He is Sam Rivers, and nothing rings different from him being a human.

Mostly, he is honest. He suspects you are talking about Rickman and the Burnt, but doesn't want to confirm until he's paid. He doesn't know about the real estate or dirt on the police chief, but he's curious and willing to look into it. He does want revenge on the police chief, but it's a petty, not-very-heated revenge--just makes this job a little bit more rewarding.

The most dishonest thing is he'd be willing to work for less, but he started bidding a little high in case you want to bargain lower. But he is really willing to work for less due to the chief, just he's not actually factoring in the discount yet.

More thing on the "why honest/lying": he does have a sense of who you are (a cop buddy looked you up, and he saw the priors on your record for when folk were late paying), and from that that you're dangerous. He doesn't want to get on your bad side. Otherwise, he's play a bit more coy and maybe upcharge more, at least on an initial bid.

"And the little ask, bud?"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-11-04 at 09:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    "Don't know about gangs buying property--just squatting in the charred ruins, but I can look into it.

"Now, dirt on the police chief. If you mean the hoity politician protecting the rich side of town, guy's as corrupt as most, but you sound surprised so I think you mean the police chief of the real police station. I used to work there, y'know? Guy's as clean as a whistle, far as I know, but after getting canned I'd love to find some dirt on him, so I can definitely look into it. You wanna share your source?"
    "Source. Associate of that lawyer got some dirt on the police chief. Don't know if it's real or just blackmail. And I know the lawyer was involved in the buying of property in burnt land, but I'm not certain whether he was doing it on behalf of the gang bangers or someone else. But tell me about the rich side politician. I wanna know where this money is coming from."

"So, the big ask. I got some info already, and let's say it costs two hundred. What you want me to look into is kinda risky, so one hundred an hour. I'd normally charge more, but I feel like giving a discount for the chief, especially if you share how you heard he's up to no good. I give you an update each day, if you want, and you can decide if you want to run more hours on your tab or not."
    "Seventy five an hour. No more than $300 per day. Bonus for good stuff - buck fifty if you can give me a name for someone buying up the slums or a name for where the money's coming from. Hondo if you can show me how the gangs or the lawyer link up to any of the big money players in town."

"And the little ask, bud?"
    "Simple surveillance job. House in the rich side of town. I want to know when and where the members of the family go and when the house is empty. Simple job but don't half ass it, and don't get noticed. Thousand bucks for a week of work, two fifty more if I can get a two hour window of time where the family members are all different places."

Spoiler
    Show
    Want to assess whether or not I'm flirting with dissonance on this pitch. No lies involved, but flirting on the edgy side of what Judgment normally does (as is Tommy's role). Tommy wants to hire the PI to do some recon so he can find a chance to make a move on the (assumed) Habbalah of Factions.

Tommy's half prepared for the PI to balk at being an accessory to whatever crime he thinks Tommy's about to commit. Honestly, Tommy will respect the PI more if he does balk at this ask. Tommy needs some way to track the Factions demon, but putting the PI in a potential spot to be an unwitting accessory to what corporeal courts will call murder (if Tommy can catch the Habbalah alone and by surprise) seems troublesome for judgment. (even if it is in the cause of the greater good)

24. - Top - End - #384

Inian grabs the man by the shoulder and hauls him upright. With better access to it, he tears the radio off of the mans belt and stuffs it into his own pocket. "Who are you people?" he growls as menacingly as he can. "And what were those things in the cages?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

To the 'big ask' details, the PI gives a disgruntled look at the lower pay, but shrugs.

"You got a deal. Is Harold Rickman the lawyer you're talking about? I didn't know about the land deals, but I'll look into it.
    "As to the rich-side dude, Chief of Police Bradley Osmon III. Third son of one of the state legislators. Got this job as a sinecure and basically is paid to keep the law working how the rich retirees want it. Which mostly means keeping undesirables out of the rich side of town and crime low, but also means looking the other way from time to time. Dude's a prick, but chummy with the mayor, governor, and others. The cops from the other station, even those on the Burnt's payroll, hate him on principal."

"But, I'll look into the real estate. And if any links between the Burnt, Rickman, and the rich side of town. To my knowledge, they aren't friendly, but I could be ignorant."

At the little ask, he scrunches his brow and gives a long look. But shrugs at the end.

"Sounds reasonable enough. But if you want me to watch it just a week, no guarantee they keep the same pattern week to week. And I don't know if I can keep a good eye on them while researching the rest. I can do some research on Wi-Fi and my laptop, but I'll probably need to do some in-person asking and snooping in city hall records for some of this. You want the big ask done first?"

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

All true, except the 'Sounds reasonable enough'--he smells a potential crime there, or at least something indecent. You get an inkling on 'why honest, why lie' that he's broken inside. Part of him wants to care about doing the right thing, but he just can't make himself care.
    And he does want the money.

As for dissonance: while some of this might be frowned upon, part of the reason Astarieth is a solo operative is because he's trusted to operate independently. You aren't coercing this guy to acting illegally or against sound jugdement. I guess I'm trying to say: I didn't see any issue before you brought it up, but even though you have some points, I don't think any of this would get you in trouble. If it blows up in your face, yeah, Dominic might be pissed. And some (most?) Dominicans would frown on it, but that's probably true of most of Tommy's Role.

Inian, War

The man barely gives any resistance and is easily hoisted up. He stutters an answer. "I--we... we're Charon Pharmaceuticals. I'm a doctor, supposed to check the patients' vitals, track their charts. They... I don't know who or what they are. One seems some crazy guy surprised he's sick. The others... no pulse, barely any blood if I try a sample... Dr. Rodriguez, she had them brought in early this morning. P-please, this hurts, can you put me down?"

26. - Top - End - #386

"Fine," Inian growls. He relaxes his arm and lets the doctor down far enough for his feet to touch the ground. "But I'll tear your arm off if you try to run. Or scream."

Inian looks up and down the hallway at the empty cages. "What's this facility, then? Obviously it's for holding people, but for what purpose? Also, you guys must have some sort of central computer records hub. Where is it?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

27. - Top - End - #387

SamuraiGuy

eek Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Astarieth, Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    "But, I'll look into the real estate. And if any links between the Burnt, Rickman, and the rich side of town. To my knowledge, they aren't friendly, but I could be ignorant."
    "Rickman's dead. Got caught up in some stuff with the burnt that went sideways. I'm more worried about the money - where it came from and where it's going. Want to know who was bankrolling him, and where they're gonna go next."

"Sounds reasonable enough. But if you want me to watch it just a week, no guarantee they keep the same pattern week to week. And I don't know if I can keep a good eye on them while researching the rest. I can do some research on Wi-Fi and my laptop, but I'll probably need to do some in-person asking and snooping in city hall records for some of this. You want the big ask done first?"

"Little ask first. Be careful with that one. The sh*tty little teenager in that family is into some bad stuff, way worse that me. Stuff that can get his whole family killed. Don't get noticed by him. If he notices you snooping tell me."

"Little ask is good money for a short job. You're paid in full once you deliver - whether it's quick or a week from now. Big ask can bankroll you for a while."

"You good with all this? My money's good if you are."

After they finish their meeting, Tommy gives the man a sincere handshake and tells him he's looking forward to his call. Then on to the next lead. He texts Agafonov: <I'm coming by shortly.> Then he pops in the car and moves over to Agafonov's side of town.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

The doctor whimpers.
    "It's a research facility. We're close to a cure for HIV. Those were high-risk patients. I really don't know the details, but the head physician, Dr. Rodriguez, said didn't want them near the other patients."

He pauses. "Central computer? I, uh, yeah... there's a server in that bunker room here. I guess that's it. W-who are you?"

Down the hall, you hear the whirl of the elevator-entrance lowering and a whispered voice saying. "Doctor, stay behind us. Timmons, Samson, you two take point. Capture if possible."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since a fight hasn't started, it's not retreating from combat (dissonant) if you avoid confrontration.

The doctor gulps and says. "Um.... that's security. Please don't hurt me."

Astarieth, Judgement

The PI drops his fork and is slack-jawed in surprise at hearing about Rickman.

"That sleazeball's dead? Wow. I heard about something down at the Gravel Pits last night, and the gang in-fighting after. Wish I could say it's a shame, but I guess he deserved it."

About the rest, he nods then gets a nervous expression.
    "The kid is the dangerous one? Well, I guess I've heard of weirder stuff. Thanks for the warning. I'll do some research on the family, then start staking them out.
    "Sounds like it'll be good working with you, Tommy."

---

The drive to Agafonov's estate is uneventful. The driveway has a gated entryway with a camera and intercom, although a guard is also standing outside.
    When Tommy's face is visible to the camera, the guard exchanges a couple words on an earpiece, then the gate opens and he waves you in.

It's a relatively small estate as rich, retiree estates go. The overall space is probably half an acre, with high fences, and a beautiful 3-story house of Russian architectural influences. Agafonov is exiting the front door as you drive up to it.

29. - Top - End - #389

Inian doesn't let go of the doctor as he starts down the hallway towards the bunker room. "Like I said, I won't tear your arm off if you don't try to get away or alert them."

If they reach the panic room before the security forces get to them, Inian hurriedly shuts the door behind them and shoves the doctor towards the nearest chair. "Sit there and don't move," he says. "Just tell me the login to get onto the computer server."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: do you hear what they hear?
    Show

(3d6)[1][3][5](9) Mundane hearing

EDIT IN RESULTS:
    Spoiler: their conversation
    Show

Although the lady and the guards are whispering, you (with your supernal senses) can parse out most of what they say.

Dr. Rodriguez: "How? Urgh, Hideyoshi must've escaped, but how could he break those bars without help... Be careful. I know he just has a sword, but he's deadly, and may have backup. Shoot to kill."
    Main Guard: "Anyone else?"
    Dr. R: "One of our doctors. ..if possible, keep him alive, but he's expendable. Hopefully he made it to the safe room. If there's anyone else, shoot to kill. Top priority is preventing theft of propriety data. Priority two is eliminating escaped patients or outsiders. Survival is third."
    One of the guards grumbles.
    Main Guard: "Shut up. You get paid well, and this is the job you can get after your court martial. We die before the doc here dies. Everyone else dies before we die. Let's move out."

The doctor keys in a code to open the door. As you go inside, the door shuts and you hear it fasten securely. There's a lever inside marked to disable outside access. (OOC: I'll assume you pull it, so security can't follow you in. Let me know if otherwise.)

The room has monitors set up to view the ground floor and the rest of the basement. You see the beautiful doctor looking over the dead bodies for a moment, then following three heavily-armed guards in the direction you went. They have body armor, semi-automatic guns, and the leader appears to have grenades strapped to his body. The female doctor is wearing the same clothes you saw her in as outside, though she's discarded her high heels to walk barefoot; and she's holding a pistol.
    The secure room's walls are thick enough that you can't hear outside, but the cameras show they are close to your position.

The doctor mumbles at first, but complies, and you get access. He does mention his entry only gives partial access -- the lady doctor is in charge of the facility. A user interface pops up, with buttons to access various types of data. Some are grayed out, presumably due to lack of access on the doctor's part.

Spoiler: Computer Usage
    Show

Angels are explicitly ignorant about stuff not covered by their Role or Skills. While I'm fine assuming Role covers basic knowledge of how to use a smartphone, and thus some basic computer savviness, something like this is difficult for an angel without training.

But this isn't complicated, so I'll allow a basic Int roll to see if you decipher anything extra, instead of the penalty to Int that the roll has by default, to see if you make any special heads or tails on the data.
    (3d6)[1][1][6](8)

But you can start a basic 'download stuff' into a USB drive.

EDIT IN RESULTS: ...wow. Okay--you apparently took a class in basic databases sometime, or were friends with a Servitor of Lightning... and fully understand the system. I'll edit-in a writeup later.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-11-18 at 09:02 AM.