New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

redface 15 years ago I made a promise

"when oots ends, I'll get all the books".

Yes, all of them(already own 2). In a country where a dollar costs 5 of our money, 10.000km away. I'll figure it out.

OotS really helped me, you know? As kind of a Bard myself, I get people calling me useless all the time(even if they pay me by the hour to teach their own kids)So, it's no surprise my favourite character is Elan. It was Belkar in my teens, when I believed and played D&D with "friends". Why? He got **** done, was hated by some, loved by few but hey... you win some, you lose some... but most of all: he didn't try, he was authentic. I still think the is the most authentic character in Oots. But Elan tried to help, like I did, to no avail. But then, adulthood happened and I still know I'm an Elan who'd absolutely love to be a Belkar, but I've come to terms. My Haley kicked me out and I'm jobless, so I can't help with Patreon, which I would like as well, since OotS has been part of my life for 15 years. Just venting out, I guess. The Giant must get this as a dm in a regular basis(at least I hope so^^)
    In Rich We Trust

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A:

True Neutral Gnome Bard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 15

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 15 years ago I made a promise

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    The Giant must get this as a dm in a regular basis(at least I hope so^^)
    He indicated in his Patreon Q&A that he's not playing D&D much (or even at all) lately.

Lisa Artz: Do you have a home game currently?

Rich: {snip} The answer is no, I’m not currently playing D&D or any other roleplaying game. I haven’t been in a regular group in about ten years. In addition to the normal challenge of getting a group of middle-aged adults with disparate lives together on a recurring basis, I have this problem where it’s difficult to focus on too many ongoing stories at once. A big part of writing for me is letting my mind wander and come up with new ideas; I’m basically always keeping one track of my brain thinking about the story in the background while I do other things. When I’m running an ongoing game, I tend to think about the game when I should be thinking about OOTS or vice versa. Or I come up with a great idea for the game, and then decide that I should save that for the comic, or a future story. Because OOTS is my actual real job, it’s not great to be muddling my work time like that. One of the downsides of turning your hobby into your career is that engaging in your hobby starts to feel a lot like going to work.

But also, I’m…not great with in-person social stuff, these days. Moreso than when I was younger. And being Rich Burlew, The Guy Who Writes OOTS, means that if I were to join a gaming group not comprised of people who already know me, I would feel a lot of extra pressure to live up to everyone’s expectations. That is almost the exact opposite of how I would choose to relax, so I haven’t made any effort to seek out games even as just a player.
    As an aside, best wishes on things working out better for you in the near future.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-03-14 at 07:25 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: 15 years ago I made a promise

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    He indicated in his Patreon Q&A that he's not playing D&D much (or even at all) lately.

As an aside, best wishes on things working out better for you in the near future.

Thanks
    In Rich We Trust

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A:

True Neutral Gnome Bard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 15