New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    I'll second that: while I'm luckily not quite that direct in my own life, cutting through a back-and-forth of potential signs of attraction to just talk about it like adults is so much easier than just.... compiling potential signs of attraction until you feel obliged to talk about it anyway, or hoping you'll magically get clarity on it somehow. Communication is essentially the key to a relationship: might as well start it that way.

And yes, some playful flirting and such can be fun, but not if someone might get lead on or hurt because of it. Hard to keep it entirely clear unless it's harmless conversational fun with a good friend or with your actual SO, but otherwise mentioning it to get some clarity might help both parties. Especially when one of'em might not realize he/she/*insert pronoun* is being flirty in the first place.

And while I imagine neurotypical people have these same problems to a certain extent (not that I can be certain), lacking any clue about other people's emotions beyond accumulated experience and potential deductions from that makes it.... tough. Especially when you haven't been in a relationship yet, as that's an entirely different world of body language you'll have to learn if you want to keep up.
    This, so very much this. Even neurotypical people have varying skills in reading body language and other clues. Besides, all those little details are never the same thing as certainty and if someone is actively hiding their feelings it is even more difficult to understand, what is going on - there are no psychics in this world.

When I met my wife, one of the most refreshing things was how direct she was about everything. If she was upset with something, she would let me know plain and simple. If she needed something, she would let me know. Granted, in a relationship it is good to be able to pick up more subtle clues and anticipate what the other party might like, but you have to get to know the other person first for it to work. And even after a long time together it is still important to openly talk things through.

Friendship is obviously less intense than a relationship, but the same general principles apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post

Essentially, we should just agree on the use of a universal flowchart for starting a relationship, so we can get those pesky emotional barriers and doubts out of the way: it's expedient, and everyone knows using flowcharts is crazy attractive
    There is already a flowchart algorithm for making friends, so why not?

edit: sigh... I miss climbing.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-12-05 at 10:10 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

The smelling salts I've smelt are ammonia. The sensation goes up your nose deep into your brain searing all the way. It will awake you up and have you questioning God's mercy in one go.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Nothing like the feeling of having the inside of your sinuses melting and trying to escape via your eye sockets to wake you up in the morning.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes Brun

The inside of a robot is like clockwork

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Yes Brun

The inside of a robot is like clockwork
    Honestly it's actually a lot more like a synthetic facsimile of organic anatomy than anything else. We've got not-muscle, not-tendons, and not-bones beneath the not-skin. That's very different from the insides of robots we build today using motors and mechanical joints.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #846

Griffon

Maybe that's why she's entranced - not only is it not clockwork, its something a thousand times more complex and flexible. So real, and yet synthetic; perfectly human but without the messy and confusing emotions getting in the way....

...Long story short, this is the start of her career as a serial killer.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Honestly it's actually a lot more like a synthetic facsimile of organic anatomy than anything else. We've got not-muscle, not-tendons, and not-bones beneath the not-skin. That's very different from the insides of robots we build today using motors and mechanical joints.
    It's a setup that makes a fair amount of sense for the character it's associated with, one who ascribes to human concepts of body image. After all, if one wants a body with the consistency of human flesh, it makes sense to put (at least some of) the padding required for that to a useful purpose. I'm not sure what the idea was with Bubbles' chassis, though. My best justification (and it's rather ad hoc, so I suspect it won't hold up) is that the concept was similar to that of self-sealing fuel tanks in fighter aircraft; perhaps robot myomer can function (at reduced capacity) with small punctures or tears in a way that a more rigid, more classically mechanical construction would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    So real, and yet synthetic; perfectly human but without the messy and confusing emotions getting in the way...
    If only the robots in this work were not basically strangely-colored humans.

Though an arc where Brun goes L1Z1X would be amusing.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    It's a setup that makes a fair amount of sense for the character it's associated with, one who ascribes to human concepts of body image. After all, if one wants a body with the consistency of human flesh, it makes sense to put (at least some of) the padding required for that to a useful purpose. I'm not sure what the idea was with Bubbles' chassis, though. My best justification (and it's rather ad hoc, so I suspect it won't hold up) is that the concept was similar to that of self-sealing fuel tanks in fighter aircraft; perhaps robot myomer can function (at reduced capacity) with small punctures or tears in a way that a more rigid, more classically mechanical construction would not.
    I don't think Bubbles will ever make sense, and perhaps that's fine. Even if the whole biomechanical robot thing was done for some form of actual combat benefit (it certainly wouldn't be the first time, the whole 'pound for pound, bio is better than metal, something something spider silk tensile strength something something' is practically a sci fi trope), and she was built with near human appearance for interact-with-human factors, they still made her more humanesque than the civilian default. It would have made sense if this body was a mustering out benefit or the like, but that doesn't appear to be what happened. I just take it as something we were never intended to analyze this closely.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I don't think Bubbles will ever make sense, and perhaps that's fine. Even if the whole biomechanical robot thing was done for some form of actual combat benefit (it certainly wouldn't be the first time, the whole 'pound for pound, bio is better than metal, something something spider silk tensile strength something something' is practically a sci fi trope), and she was built with near human appearance for interact-with-human factors, they still made her more humanesque than the civilian default. It would have made sense if this body was a mustering out benefit or the like, but that doesn't appear to be what happened. I just take it as something we were never intended to analyze this closely.
    It is hard to fit it all on the timeline, but if the civilian AI bodies came first, the military chassis was simply an adaptation of the established design paradigm. You needed to enhance the performance, but there was no need to reinvent the wheel. This has an additional benefit of simplifying equipment (armor, weapons, etc.) as it is just a scaled up human design, so you do not need to invest all that heavily in R&D. We know that there was some overlap between civilian and military hardware for AI as Pintsize has a chassis that was produced for the military but the overall design was pretty much the same as for civilian models that we have seen - just with some modifications.

One of the biggest R&D problems that was avoided by choosing a humanoid chassis was pretty simple: what kind of machine design could replace infantry? Soldiers perform a lot of very different tasks and coming up from scratch with a machine design that could do the same is not an easy task. Well... unless you just crib from nature and call it a day.

Besides, those artificial myomers can be very strong and have impressive reaction times, so there are some direct advantages to that design choice.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It is hard to fit it all on the timeline, but if the civilian AI bodies came first, the military chassis was simply an adaptation of the established design paradigm. You needed to enhance the performance, but there was no need to reinvent the wheel. This has an additional benefit of simplifying equipment (armor, weapons, etc.) as it is just a scaled up human design, so you do not need to invest all that heavily in R&D. We know that there was some overlap between civilian and military hardware for AI as Pintsize has a chassis that was produced for the military but the overall design was pretty much the same as for civilian models that we have seen - just with some modifications.

One of the biggest R&D problems that was avoided by choosing a humanoid chassis was pretty simple: what kind of machine design could replace infantry? Soldiers perform a lot of very different tasks and coming up from scratch with a machine design that could do the same is not an easy task. Well... unless you just crib from nature and call it a day.
    I'm don't mean the 2 arms/2 legs body arrangement that of course you'd choose that if they were to replace/supplement infantry. I mean the specific ways in which Bubbles' body exceeds the human-ness of what appears to be the default civilian AIs. She doesn't have visible line joints, doesn't have some of the robotness even could-be-mistaken-for-human bots like new-Momo has, or (looking to find a way to say this without invoking bad jokes from someone) -- in the post-lovemaking scene between Faye and Bubbles, Bubbles' breasts swoop in a very effected-by-gravity-as-real-breasts-do way that seems like a lot of extra effort compared to mannequin physiology (and again more than civilian AI default). Adapting an established design paradigm would makes sense if those things were semi ubiquitous amongst civilian models, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Besides, those artificial myomers can be very strong and have impressive reaction times, so there are some direct advantages to that design choice.
    Called it!

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

I'm don't mean the 2 arms/2 legs body arrangement that of course you'd choose that if they were to replace/supplement infantry. I mean the specific ways in which Bubbles' body exceeds the human-ness of what appears to be the default civilian AIs. She doesn't have visible line joints, doesn't have some of the robotness even could-be-mistaken-for-human bots like new-Momo has, or (looking to find a way to say this without invoking bad jokes from someone) -- in the post-lovemaking scene between Faye and Bubbles, Bubbles' breasts swoop in a very effected-by-gravity-as-real-breasts-do way that seems like a lot of extra effort compared to mannequin physiology (and again more than civilian AI default). Adapting an established design paradigm would makes sense if those things were semi ubiquitous amongst civilian models, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Called it!
    As far as breasts go, I have no idea - must have been a marketing move or the design went through this kind of hell. A properly sealed skin though is actually very important as those line joints invite dust, water and other agents that would clog and erode the joints easily. If there is a stretchy and moderately durable material you can use for the outer coating of a robot, it will be used for very practical reasons. Any lack of armor can and was dealt with external plating.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    As far as breasts go, I have no idea - must have been a marketing move or the design went through this kind of hell. A properly sealed skin though is actually very important as those line joints invite dust, water and other agents that would clog and erode the joints easily. If there is a stretchy and moderately durable material you can use for the outer coating of a robot, it will be used for very practical reasons. Any lack of armor can and was dealt with external plating.
    A PR or marketing stunt seems likely. IIRC she was an experiment on integrating AI. Having her appear more human would help sell that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think the most likely in-universe explanation is that the factory that makes robot erogenous zones is located in a state whose senator was on the budget committee.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Colossus in the Playground

Remember also that she has a suit of armor that she wears for combat scenarios. What we see with her and faye is basically the body underneath the armor, and they specifically wanted her to be as human looking as possible for troop integration iirc, so making her under armor chassis as close to human as possible just makes good sense. For regular civilian ai bodies humanoid is enough, as well as being cheaper to buy. I would imagine the closer to human the body looks, the more it costs to make.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She doesn't have visible line joints,
    If you go back just a day (or two by the time you read this maybe), you clearly see she has the same neck-seam that Millie, May and Momo have.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    If you go back just a day (or two by the time you read this maybe), you clearly see she has the same neck-seam that Millie, May and Momo have.
    Fine. I was thinking of OldMays hands.

Edit: you know what, nevermind. It doesn't matter. It's a subjective quality, so we shouldn't all agree. Bubbles seems, to me, to be a cut above the rest (the Melons, Lemons, newMomos, and so forths) of the AIs in the QC world, in terms of effort put into making her body humanlike. With the exception of the air/watertight seal, that seems like an unusual investiture in a combat frame. To me (again), it would have made more sense if that was the body she was given when she mustered out.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    they specifically wanted her to be as human looking as possible for troop integration iirc, so making her under armor chassis as close to human as possible just makes good sense. For regular civilian ai bodies humanoid is enough, as well as being cheaper to buy. I would imagine the closer to human the body looks, the more it costs to make.
    For troop integration, would they need to have the part under the armor chassis look all that human? Face for sure. My understanding was that she wore the armor shell pretty much continuously.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2020-12-10 at 11:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To me (again), it would have made more sense if that was the body she was given when she mustered out.

For troop integration, would they need to have the part under the armor chassis look all that human? Face for sure. My understanding was that she wore the armor shell pretty much continuously.
    I agree, would have made more sense as that.
    And maybe they didn't discourage fraternization between humans and AI...

18. - Top - End - #858

Griffon

Wasn't the point of Bubbles' programme intended to be able to integrate with other soldiers and civilians but without being cutesy and appealing to children, as Pintsize was? It seems reasonable that 'humanoid' would be the obvious default, with just enough cosmetic touches to avoid the Uncanny Valley without spending so much money to make her indistinguishable from actual humans. Enough people were apparently freaked out by "AIs in the military" that going full Terminator-style 'human tissue over metal endoskeleton' would have caused even more problems aside from the obvious ethical ones.

Otherwise... It's QC. Bubbles identifies as female so she was given feminine features (or possibly even had a say in her own appearance?) and military-grade tech gets released to the public when the authorities decide they don't need it any more, a la Pintsize and the Vespa Avenger's combat-bot. Just roll with it.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I seem to remember that. They made Bubbles humanoid so she could integrate into a squad of human soldiers.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I think the most likely in-universe explanation is that the factory that makes robot erogenous zones is located in a state whose senator was on the budget committee.
    Nonsense. Dr. Stein of S.T.E. Industries assures me that any resemblance to human erogenous zones is purely coincidental.

(Linked comic is literally about the concept and is thus suggestive, but contains no actual nudity.)

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ettin in the Playground

Obviously trying to read too much into what's probably just a stylistic choice feels silly, but I get the feeling Bubbles has, by far, the most expensive chassis of any QC robot we've seen so far because it's a weird experimental military body. There might be really high-end civilian robot bodies that are equally natural looking, we just haven't seen anyone wearing them.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Crack theory: Bubbles breasts are dual function to both have a more "feminine human" appearance and also contain extra material for repairing "tissue" damage. Heck, let's extend that out to any bit of "padding" that isn't explicitly functional.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ettin in the Playground

So it’s, like, extra myomer that just sits there?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    So it’s, like, extra myomer that just sits there?
    Basically. You would probably need some form of nanotech transport to at least facilitate myomer transport and depositing.

The extra myomer could be argued to be what smoothes over the joins under a "skin" layer in better detail than the standard AI chassis.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Basically. You would probably need some form of nanotech transport to at least facilitate myomer transport and depositing.

The extra myomer could be argued to be what smoothes over the joins under a "skin" layer in better detail than the standard AI chassis.
    That extra volume under the skin could also be some form of shock absorbing layer.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

It's an odd thing to realize, but it actually took me a few seconds to realize the guy in the last panel is Marten. Good that he gets some screentime (paneltime?) again.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Brun, you're going to accidentally make all the robots overheat.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What? May is Sam's assistant? When did that happen?

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    What? May is Sam's assistant? When did that happen?
    A while ago: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4131

Start from here for context: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4122
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for the link. I had kinda remembered a bit, and was looking through the archive and read though some stuff... and stopped at 4118 thinking I was in the wrong part of the comic to just find it...