New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

I have to admit. Jeph has a body type that he draws *extremely* well, without it being crass.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, honestly all of this feels really uncomfortable. Clinton can't be embracing self-acceptance when he isn't given the chance to do any of the important self-discovery part. How can you ever know what you yourself want when the whole darn world conspires to push yourself into being what the world wants you to be? Off with the albatross. Instead try the new, improved, Albatross 2.0.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    When on earth did Tilly start dating Station?
    I didn't remember it at all either and had to look it up, but yes, when Hanners visited it was fairly obvious actually

4. - Top - End - #964
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Okay, honestly all of this feels really uncomfortable. Clinton can't be embracing self-acceptance when he isn't given the chance to do any of the important self-discovery part. How can you ever know what you yourself want when the whole darn world conspires to push yourself into being what the world wants you to be? Off with the albatross. Instead try the new, improved, Albatross 2.0.
    I dunno, I think that although vague advice it has pointed out one rather key and important factor; Clinton's heart is not saying "Elliot".

Clinton is open to the idea of a gay relationship, but really it looks like that's just because he's afraid that saying "no thank you" may be interpreted as homophobia. Before Elliot confessed his attraction to him, Clinton had never entertained the idea of pursuing another male, or had ever shown any kind of romantic interest in him - in fact, all of their interactions prior were blissfully platonic, with Clinton and Elliot being friends comfortable in each others' company until someone else pointed out the implications.

Clinton might like Elliot and want to hang out with him, but I don't think at any point we've seen real attraction to him, romantically or sexually. I don't know where Jeph is taking this story, but so far the only thing that I think is clear is that Clinton is kind of just going along with it, is doing his best but is still quite uncomfortable, and it's going to take quite a significant change in direction/revelation of character for it to actually go that way.

Also, in what way has Clinton been toxically masculine? He's been completely honest and open in the face of various kinds of awkwardness and anxiety, he's accepted that his perceived identity as 'straight' might not be accurate and has embraced the possibility of the alternative virtually immediately, and has questioned himself to make sure he isn't acting inappropriately at every step including today's comic where he's asking if he needs to reflect further on his self-reflections. Did I miss something, or is that a buzz-word thrown in for no relevant reason? Because as I understand it - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I truly mean that - being in a gay relationship isn't the same as not being toxically masculine.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-02-01 at 08:08 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I dunno, I think that although vague advice it has pointed out one rather key and important factor; Clinton's heart is not saying "Elliot".

Clinton is open to the idea of a gay relationship, but really it looks like that's just because he's afraid that saying "no thank you" may be interpreted as homophobia. Before Elliot confessed his attraction to him, Clinton had never entertained the idea of pursuing another male, or had ever shown any kind of romantic interest in him - in fact, all of their interactions prior were blissfully platonic, with Clinton and Elliot being friends comfortable in each others' company until someone else pointed out the implications.

Clinton might like Elliot and want to hang out with him, but I don't think at any point we've seen real attraction to him, romantically or sexually. I don't know where Jeph is taking this story, but so far the only thing that I think is clear is that Clinton is kind of just going along with it, is doing his best but is still quite uncomfortable, and it's going to take quite a significant change in direction/revelation of character for it to actually go that way.

Also, in what way has Clinton been toxically masculine? He's been completely honest and open in the face of various kinds of awkwardness and anxiety, he's accepted that his perceived identity as 'straight' might not be accurate and has embraced the possibility of the alternative virtually immediately, and has questioned himself to make sure he isn't acting inappropriately at every step including today's comic where he's asking if he needs to reflect further on his self-reflections. Did I miss something, or is that a buzz-word thrown in for no relevant reason? Because as I understand it - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I truly mean that - being in a gay relationship isn't the same as not being toxically masculine.
    Wouldn't be the first time I've read or heard someone equate straightness, or not entertaining gay relationships as a possibility, with "toxic masculinity".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

My takeaway is that Clinton doesn't know what his heart wants. Not yes-Elliot, nor no-Elliot, but an actual 'signs are unclear' situation (which makes 'follow your heart' downright impossible.

Clinton is open to the idea of a gay relationship, but really it looks like that's just because he's afraid that saying "no thank you" may be interpreted as homophobia.
    Have we seen evidence of that?
    I have never really found Clinton's movement towards being open to a gay relationship all that natural. That strip where he initially said something like 'but if I meet the right guy who knows?' seemed incredibly forced. Further developments along the line (Jeph running the Clinton-Elliot will-they-or-won't-they with a hard lean towards 'won't') haven't changed that. That said, I can't remember anything that would make me think that Clinton is only suggesting male attraction to not look homophobic.

Before Elliot confessed his attraction to him, Clinton had never entertained the idea of pursuing another male, or had ever shown any kind of romantic interest in him - in fact, all of their interactions prior were blissfully platonic, with Clinton and Elliot being friends comfortable in each others' company until someone else pointed out the implications.

We had the scene where he blushes like mad thinking about lying in his arms or whatever his sister suggested imagining.

Overall, I agree that the actual-clicking is failing hard, and sure hope that Jeph doesn't just have tomorrows strip be Clinton rushing back to kiss the guy he suddenly realizes he's been perfect for all along (re: Faye-Bubbles, in which Jeph actually put in the work). That said, this whole thing just reads as a story told poorly (but just that). Clinton is bi because the author (I'm pretty sure retroactively) decided he was, and spelled it out in a couple relatively poor strips. Now he's in a will-they-won't-they where all reasonable signs point to won't but I suspect that maybe the author thinks otherwise.

I believe the idea is that it is toxic masculinity that would be making Clinton afraid to engage in a non-hetero relationship, despite actually wanting to do so.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, it could still end up as "You know, Eliott, I think I might be at least slightly bisexual, and I do find you kind of sexually attractive, but I don't think I have any actual romantic chemistry with you."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #968

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Have we seen evidence of that?
    Not specifically that I can think of, I admit that it's more inferred on my part. I admit that I may have read too much into the same comic:

That strip where he initially said something like 'but if I meet the right guy who knows?'
    He said that because it's the correct and inclusive thing to say, but I kind of got the feeling he wasn't actually expecting to put it into practice. He actively pursued Emily and Brun, but not only never had any gay inclinations but was notably oblivious to subtext in conversation when it even might have been a possibility. Now that it's been proposed, it felt to me like he felt he had to give it a try no matter how awkward and uncomfortable he felt, lest it make him appear a hypocrite.
    In fact, that's a better word than homophobe - it's not that he might be called a bigot, but because he's stated that he's not opposed to the idea, and suddenly it's hard for him to turn Elliot down in case it looks like he IS against the idea, even if it is for valid reasons.

Honestly, I think that I agree with what you more or less outlined - I just don't believe in the situation. Clinton doesn't *have* to be straight of course, and character development is entirely welcome, but it just isn't clicking. He's actively pursued Emily and Brun, but despite being open-minded he's been oblivious too, or otherwise uncomfortable, around Elliot. I don't believe that he actively *desires* a relationship with Elliot, but that one has been offered and he's kind of too polite to turn it down, y'know? I just don't believe that Elliot is "the right guy".

Also maybe I'm still kind of hoping to revive Clinton x Roko, that just seemed like a lot more fun
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-02-01 at 04:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

He said that because it's the correct and inclusive thing to say,
    Again, where are you getting this?

but I kind of got the feeling he wasn't actually expecting to put it into practice. He actively pursued Emily and Brun, but not only never had any gay inclinations but was notably oblivious to subtext in conversation when it even might have been a possibility. Now that it's been proposed, it felt to me like he felt he had to give it a try no matter how awkward and uncomfortable he felt, lest it make him appear a hypocrite.
    In fact, that's a better word than homophobe - it's not that he might be called a bigot, but because he's stated that he's not opposed to the idea, and suddenly it's hard for him to turn Elliot down in case it looks like he IS against the idea, even if it is for valid reasons.
    Okay, that's a little more credible. He said who knows, and now someone is effectively saying, 'really, well how about now? Isn't this the right situation?' It's exceedingly unrealistic, but hey, sitcom.

Honestly, I think that I agree with what you more or less outlined - I just don't believe in the situation. Clinton doesn't *have* to be straight of course, and character development is entirely welcome, but it just isn't clicking. He's actively pursued Emily and Brun, but despite being open-minded he's been oblivious too, or otherwise uncomfortable, around Elliot. I don't believe that he actively *desires* a relationship with Elliot, but that one has been offered and he's kind of too polite to turn it down, y'know? I just don't believe that Elliot is "the right guy".
    I don't think anyone here thinks it's clicking. Jeph through some speed bumps in there that really seem like good evidence of 'this road should be closed' but it seems like he doesn't see it that way.

Also maybe I'm still kind of hoping to revive Clinton x Roko, that just seemed like a lot more fun
    Ah, ship-to-ship warfare! Totally understandable, but seriously -- this fictional relationship is good or bad on its own merits, not based on which ones it excludes (although wouldn't that be an interesting triangle?).

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I mean, it could still end up as "You know, Eliott, I think I might be at least slightly bisexual, and I do find you kind of sexually attractive, but I don't think I have any actual romantic chemistry with you."
    It absolutely can, panel 3 of today's strip leads me to believe otherwise, but it could. Perhaps tomorrow Clinton runs back to Elliot, grabs him, looks deeply into his eyes, and says, "Can we just be friends? That's what my heart says."
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-02-01 at 04:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #970

Griffon

Again, where are you getting this?
    As opposed to him recoiling and saying "What, gay? Me? Nonsense, perish the thought and how dare you even suggest a thing!". He's been honest and open-minded rather than defensive and insular, I don't think that's a judgment which needs qualifying, particularly?

Ah, ship-to-ship warfare! Totally understandable, but seriously -- this fictional relationship is good or bad on its own merits, not based on which ones it excludes (although wouldn't that be an interesting triangle?).
    I try to be honest, which is why I disclosed my bias But yeah - I admit that it's easier to pick fault with Clinton/Elliot when I prefer an alternative. Under the circumstances though, it's easy to dream of better combinations, because 'better' is pretty much anyone.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-02-01 at 05:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

re: chemistry. Step one to good chemistry is good character writing, and QC isn't the best place to go for that?

I'd say there's three types of character in QC
    1) Fully explored well developed characters. Really only Faye, Bubbles, and Dora fit this description I'd say, and that's mostly because they have enough quirks to really BE explored.

2) Generally nice, reasonable people with a handful of quirky Personality Traits. The presumptive protagonist, Martin is the go-to example of this. Martin is a nice dude, he's a pretty reasonable guy who is there for his friends, his biggest character flaw is that he's kind of a doormat. Elliot, penelope, recent Sven, Angus, a lot of characters fall into this category, which is neither bad nor unrealistic. Unless you get really close to somebody, a LOT of people are going to be generally nice people with a handful of memorable traits who get up, go to work, and hang out with their friends.

3) Caricatures with one or more defining quirks or personality traits that kind of drive most of their interactions. Hannalore, May, Marigold, Brun, Beepatrice, Yay, Will, ect.

The above is reductive, and it isn't meant as a criticism. It's basically "Characters who have had a ton of screentime dedicated to their internal lifes", "Characters who are pretty normal people, and have NOT had a ton of screentime dedicated to their internal lives", and "Characters who have easily recognizable and memorable personality traits/fit established archetypes".

But this kind of brings us to the idea of Romance and Chemistry. Writing a compelling chemistry, especially with something like this story arc, requires a pretty deep understanding of the two characters, especially if we're supposed to be rooting for them to get together, and neither Clinton nor Elliot are really sketched out enough to HAVE that understanding.

Clinton was a type 3 "Nerd who was excited about Robots", but has since mellowed/developed into a type 2 "Generally an okay dude". Elliot is a Type 2 whose memorable traits are that he is Large, Nice, and Kind of Shy. We know that Elliot was previously attracted to Padma, but we don't have any insight into why except that she's an nice person and physically attractive (And, to be honest, that's enough for the sort of Crush we saw Elliot having. Having a crush on an attractive co-worker/friend isn't weird and doesn't require any sort of deep-seated personal analysis, neither does it indicate any sort of real compatibility).

I guess my thesis here is that if the goal is to sell us on "Elliot and Clinton are perfect for each other and should kiss", neither Elliot nor Clinton are really fleshed out enough for us to get invested into that.

Compare what I'd consider the most successful romantic subplot in QC, Faye and Bubbles, which was the culmination of those two characters having a relationship for years of comics, and not just having a relationship. Bubbles barely spoke with any characters besides Faye, and when she did, Faye was usually relevant to the context. So a LOT of time and groundwork was laid on their relationship, not just events they experienced together, but the way their personalities meshed and made them work. Faye is belligerent enough to get through Bubble's armor, and empathetic enough to want to stand up for Bubbles, which helped Bubbles come out of her shell. Bubbles, after she softened, appreciates Faye's sass, but has more than enough backbone to stand up to Faye's bullheadedness.

Admittedly, this whole story arc seems to be less "Elliot and Clinton are PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER AND SHOULD SMOOCH", and more Wacky Sitcom Hijinks as their particular character flaws bounce off each other. Elliot is shy and anxious, Clinton is inexperienced when it comes to dating and romance, and both those things have plenty of fuel for Wacky Hijinks, but it does seem that we're supposed to be invested in these two crazy kids making it work, and that sort of investment takes a LOT of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #972
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I have to admit. Jeph has a body type that he draws *extremely* well, without it being crass.
    Late reply, but came here to agree with this. He seems to have a knack for drawing busty female characters so that they look like people who actually live in their bodies, as opposed to dolls in sexy poses (Misfile I'm looking at you). He doesn't do male characters nearly as well - particularly scrawny dudes, to me they tend to end up looking a bit more like teenagers rather than the twenty-somethings they're supposed to be. For a character whose main attribute is apparently "big" though, Elliot seems reasonably well-drawn to me.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Late reply, but came here to agree with this. He seems to have a knack for drawing busty female characters so that they look like people who actually live in their bodies, as opposed to dolls in sexy poses (Misfile I'm looking at you). He doesn't do male characters nearly as well - particularly scrawny dudes, to me they tend to end up looking a bit more like teenagers rather than the twenty-somethings they're supposed to be. For a character whose main attribute is apparently "big" though, Elliot seems reasonably well-drawn to me.
    That comes from long years of practice; the earlier strips are very much "dolls in sexy poses," to the point where all the female characters stood with their hips thrust out and their shoulders back as though they were about to fall over.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2021-02-02 at 05:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Colossus in the Playground

So With the station romance linked comic I started reading forward and wow, this new girl actually has been showing up from time to time. Commenting on dales sexy skin tight outfit, then bumping into clinton and brun here.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

I randomly started a reread awhile back, and knowing about hannalonre and looking for her introduction...
    Man, those meds must have been strong stuff. She's SMOKING.
    https://www.questionablecontent.net/comics/515.png

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    I randomly started a reread awhile back, and knowing about hannalonre and looking for her introduction...
    Man, those meds must have been strong stuff. She's SMOKING.
    https://www.questionablecontent.net/comics/515.png
    That's come up a few times since.

She mentions that it was in fact the meds, and at one point says she occasionally feels a little craving for a cigarette.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Personally, I view it less as Clinton being given zero chance for self-reflection/discovery, and more as webcomics being a medium where characters are more likely to work through their issues via conversations with others rather than via internal processes because, well, internal processes have far less opportunity for zingers, punchlines, and quirky misunderstandings.

Also, it's worth noting that she doesn't say to "cast off the albatross" until *after* she says "Follow your heart" - and Clinton reacts to that by saying *he* thinks it's just his preconceptions getting in his way. If he'd said "Well, honestly, my heart isn't really into it," she likely would've responded very differently.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

As opposed to him recoiling and saying "What, gay? Me? Nonsense, perish the thought and how dare you even suggest a thing!". He's been honest and open-minded rather than defensive and insular, I don't think that's a judgment which needs qualifying, particularly?
    Those are his actions, you were commenting on his motivations ("He said that because it's the correct and inclusive thing to say"). Do we have any evidence that is reasons for his statements are because he sees them as correct and inclusive, rather than any other explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Compare what I'd consider the most successful romantic subplot in QC, Faye and Bubbles, which was the culmination of those two characters having a relationship for years of comics, and not just having a relationship. Bubbles barely spoke with any characters besides Faye, and when she did, Faye was usually relevant to the context. So a LOT of time and groundwork was laid on their relationship, not just events they experienced together, but the way their personalities meshed and made them work. Faye is belligerent enough to get through Bubble's armor, and empathetic enough to want to stand up for Bubbles, which helped Bubbles come out of her shell. Bubbles, after she softened, appreciates Faye's sass, but has more than enough backbone to stand up to Faye's bullheadedness.
    Agreed. Jeph put in the work for them.

But this kind of brings us to the idea of Romance and Chemistry. Writing a compelling chemistry, especially with something like this story arc, requires a pretty deep understanding of the two characters, especially if we're supposed to be rooting for them to get together, and neither Clinton nor Elliot are really sketched out enough to HAVE that understanding.
    Good observation. This reminds me of another strip where the dichotomy is frequently shown: Kevin and Kell. The titular couple are solid, well-developed characters, and we understand how they got together and what they see in each other. Their kids and kids friends also have relationships that we understand the dynamics involved (sometimes the relationships started when they were a bunch of child/teen stereotypes, but they've been retroactively fleshed out). However, for about 20 years now, the strip has been trying to re-tread a single set of story beats (two characters meet, some misunderstanding happens such that one or both don't realize that one is predator and one is prey*, a connection is formed, the prey species somehow saves the predator's life, they get together and fade into the background) with two new characters to which we are just recently introduced. It keeps coming off as a lessor copy of the last iteration.
    *This is a strip where a sentient member of society is killed and eaten by other members of said society is accepted as part of the natural order (unless they are someone the main protagonists like, in which case it is a tragedy), just roll with it.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-02-02 at 09:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Looking back the other really well written relationship is Faye and Sven. They had genuine chemistry before they got together. The relationship was set up as extremely unhealthy and was treated as such by the comic. The result was inevitable. It came off as a quite realistic fling that had real consequences to the comic instead of pure wacky hijinks.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    That comes from long years of practice; the earlier strips are very much "dolls in sexy poses," to the point where all the female characters stood with their hips thrust out and their shoulders back as though they were about to fall over.
    Misfile also has the particular aspect that the majority of the shots of a character involve actually seeing the ground and feet, which means posing those legs in a particular way. The vast majority of Jeph's comic cuts off at the hips, and sometimes it cuts off at mid-thigh. Because he's just showing people standing, he doesn't need to worry too much about posture. It's like a crutch to make characters look more natural.

Given that, it's not too hard to make thick girls not look like they're constantly posing for a pinup, cheesecake book.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Misfile also has the particular aspect that the majority of the shots of a character involve actually seeing the ground and feet, which means posing those legs in a particular way. The vast majority of Jeph's comic cuts off at the hips, and sometimes it cuts off at mid-thigh. Because he's just showing people standing, he doesn't need to worry too much about posture. It's like a crutch to make characters look more natural.

Given that, it's not too hard to make thick girls not look like they're constantly posing for a pinup, cheesecake book.
    I meant early QC strips.

Oh, hey, the third amiga is Yemisi the Personal Shopper. I was wondering if that was the case or if the character model had just been reused.

22. - Top - End - #982

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post

Are you saying that Misfile only looks like the girls are constantly posing for pin-ups because he has to draw their legs? Because no, there are other ways of drawing legs that don't emphasise their hip-to-ankle ratio and all the stereotypical curves, but Chris only seems to choose the poses that do. Whereas female characters in QC are allowed to slouch without being embarrassed, stand without sticking out their buttocks or twisting their knees together, sit without their legs front and centre etc. I still read Misfile (and hasn't it been running nearly as long as QC? *checks* only half a year less) but the changelessness of the art is a stark contrast.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

23. - Top - End - #983

Frankly, Jeph may have more naturalistic poses for his characters, but his actual figure-drawing is fairly unrealistic. For human women he has two models—Thin, and Curvy. His curvy girls may talk about their size or have comedic 'fat girl' jokes, but that doesn't get around the fact that they all have perfect hourglass figures with relatively tiny waists.

After Faye, Renee, Brun, Marigold, Gabby, and now Willow, it feels like just an excuse to draw buxom women while pretending it's body positivity.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #984

Frankly, Jeph may have more naturalistic poses for his characters, but his actual figure-drawing is fairly unrealistic. For human women he has two models—Thin, and Curvy. His curvy girls may talk about their size or have comedic 'fat girl' jokes, but that doesn't get around the fact that they all have perfect hourglass figures with relatively tiny waists.

After Faye, Renee, Brun, Marigold, Gabby, and now Willow, it feels like just an excuse to draw buxom women while pretending it's body positivity.
    You've got a point there.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

This reminds me (I see I am on a parallel-drawing streak) of another strip which has a mostly female cast, bills (probably author sees) itself as feminist and body-positive, but looks from the outside to be a little fetishy: Wapsi Square. Again, lots of thin, conventionally attractive women, plus one or more 'thick' women who don't mind a cheeseburger or two, but still look pretty much conventionally attractive.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

This reminds me (I see I am on a parallel-drawing streak) of another strip which has a mostly female cast, bills (probably author sees) itself as feminist and body-positive, but looks from the outside to be a little fetishy: Wapsi Square. Again, lots of thin, conventionally attractive women, plus one or more 'thick' women who don't mind a cheeseburger or two, but still look pretty much conventionally attractive.
    I lost track of Wapsi Square because just about the time a group of characters gets interesting, most of them get shuffled into the background in favor of new characters.

Art-wise, the problem with Wapsi Square is that even those female characters who are introduced with proportionally thin depiction in the art, will almost all end up as "well endowed" over time, even if they're rail-thin otherwise. See, Katherine, for one example. The artist has a type, and he can't seem to help himself.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Are you saying that Misfile only looks like the girls are constantly posing for pin-ups because he has to draw their legs? Because no, there are other ways of drawing legs that don't emphasise their hip-to-ankle ratio and all the stereotypical curves, but Chris only seems to choose the poses that do. Whereas female characters in QC are allowed to slouch without being embarrassed, stand without sticking out their buttocks or twisting their knees together, sit without their legs front and centre etc. I still read Misfile (and hasn't it been running nearly as long as QC? *checks* only half a year less) but the changelessness of the art is a stark contrast.
    I personally feel like there's a lot less pinup-like art in Misfile, or rather that the majority of interactions in it take place while leaning on something mid-torso height, which lends itself to an air of pinup without necessarily being one. When a comic revolves so much around cars, anyone leaning on them is going to have their butt out or else go with an unnatural "splayed legs and knees" pose. You see a lot of similar artwork from Jeph when the coffee shop was such a prevalent backdrop. When the girls are leaning over the counter but talking to Marten, they're often in poses that emphasize their bust, with bent spine. Without the counter there, it'd look like a pinup pose. It's just that having a car in any picture with such poses lends itself towards reminding the user of pinups.

So Jeph, who generally does standing/walking waist-up scenes often avoids that because his characters are stationary or not active when in focus. He avoids the pinup look with his art in a lazy way. It's something people got on Bum Tickley for all the time as well, though nowadays he does more full-body art.

Just looking through the last month of misfile, it's got a beach scene (which lends itself to pinup poses) and "sitting around the house", of which only one panel really screams "this is supposed to be titillating for the reader".

The lack of art evolution also shouldn't be seen as a negative for a comic when you have people not recognizing characters in modern QC because everyone's faces are gradually shifting towards having fewer differences. Art style doesn't NEED to change over time for something to be good. See XKCD, which still uses faceless stick-figures for everything, or IrregularWebcomic or LegostarGalactica which use lego minifigs and rpg minifigs for its artwork.

28. - Top - End - #988

I don't really read Misfile, but I gave it a look now. It's similar to Dominic Deegan in a way, as a manga-inspired comic that seems to use recurrent expressions (in particular Misfile had a lot of big open mouths in the pages I saw). Dominic Deegan didn't change much, either. I think that these comics started out with a clear objective about where their art was meant to go (fundamentally reproposing a late-90s early 2000s anime style).

By comparison, I don't think QC ever had such a clear target about where it wanted to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Note that Misfile itself ended a couple years back - the current strip is a sequel series. Much of the art discussion seems to be more appropriately oriented toward the original storyline.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with Clinton here -- if it's not real, it doesn't matter how "useful" it is.

And eventually it will result in a bad outcome.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-02-03 at 10:02 PM.