Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: She-Ra Season 5 | “Hello, Adora”

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, I feel like Hordak and especially Catra got off too easy. There were some really good hints in the last two episodes that their redemption was going to be a long walk home-- which I appreciated-- but I feel like Glimmer and Scorpia were entirely too willing to accept her face turn without taking their pound of flesh. Bow took longer forgiving Glimmer for exercising her authority than Glimmer took forgiving Catra for murdering her mother.

On the other hand, I also feel like this was a precedent established in the very first season with Adora herself.

It was actually a very nice touch that the people quickest to forgive former members of the Horde weren't the goodest of the good guys... it was the other former members of the Horde.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's weird to me to hold Catra directly accountable for Angella's death. Hell the entire chain of events around the portal are weird since who knows exactly what at what point is really frecking unclear. The one thing I really held against Catra comes just before that - sending Entrapta to Beast Island. It's sorta spur of the moment, she's obviously panicking, but it seemed more calculated than any of her decisions around the portal, which were more driven by denial and emotion than malice or intent.

Aaand being willing to die or worse get brainwashed and lose any sense of self or individuality or value? For Catra? Her willingly going down to save Glimmer was a pretty massive moment for selling the redemption to me. How do you make it harder than that?

Plus there's a general attitude running throughout that I appreciated. Forgiveness is not owed. No one's called out for being suspicious of the bad guys after they turned, Bow's not expected to just get over what Glimmer did. Everyone still distrusts Shadow Weaver. If you do wrong, and want to make amends, fine. It might lead down a good path. But that's on you to make, you're not owed a chance.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, I feel like Hordak and especially Catra got off too easy. There were some really good hints in the last two episodes that their redemption was going to be a long walk home-- which I appreciated-- but I feel like Glimmer and Scorpia were entirely too willing to accept her face turn without taking their pound of flesh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glimmer literally had nothing else to hope for than a miraculous change of heart in Catra - she even begged for it. And that miraculous change of heart is exactly what occurred before her very eyes. No ambiguity - Glimmer saw Catra literally sacrifice herself to save her, just because she was Adora's friend, and she wanted to keep Adora safe. What possible reason would she have to still hold a grudge towards Catra after that?

If we know one thing about Scorpia, it's that she couldn't hold a grudge with a grudge-holding spoon. Also she just got out of being mind-controlled by Hordak Prime, and almost killing Bow in the process. That would put anyone in a forgiving mood.

All the characters for whom it would have been in character to want to punch Catra in the face pretty much did - literally, in many cases. It's just that they're the good guys, so they didn't let it get in the way of defeating Hordak Prime. It was comprehensively dealt with.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2020-05-16 at 08:02 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have many thoughts.

Spoiler: Everything could have been avoided
    Show
    If only Adora had known earlier in life the magic of the squirt bottle for keeping Catra in line.

Spoiler: One of us one of us
    Show
    Am I the only one who burst out laughing at the Prime clones every time they began chanting something. If they were going for creepy I don't think they hit the mark.

Spoiler: In space no one can hear you vogue
    Show
    Those space suits are stupid. Stupidly amazing. I expected Bow to still be showing abs so the little tiny transparent window was actually more practical than I expected. And watching him accidentally humiliate Catra over her helmet having ears.

Spoiler: One must suffer to be redeemed
    Show
    Catra sure gets kicked around this season. Frosta punching her into next tuesday. Netossa with the squirt bottle. Both of those were pretty fun. Scorpia and Bow only get to hurt her under mind control or emotionally by accident since they are both too pure.

You would figure she'd hit rock bottom round the point she tried to murder suicide the world with the portal but no it's when she finally figured out she can't just keep manipulating her boss. Yeah I guess that checks out. It was either shape up and be a good minion or do something dumb out of spite. This time the dumb choice was helpful.

Even when no one is trying to fight her or is even actively trying to welcome her you can tell she feels awful and out of place. Like she doesn't believe herself that she deserves it or that it's all an act and the boot is about to drop.

Spoiler: Character developement haircut
    Show
    I miss Catra's mane. It was a good look when she was a brainwashed cult member admittedly.

Spoiler: Oh, hi Mom
    Show
    I really expected a bit more of an explosive reaction when Shadow Weaver and Catra were reunited. Not the least bit surprised that SW still manages to screw things up between Catra and Adora.

Spoiler: World's worst Mom
    Show
    Shadow Weaver deserved worse. It's left ambiguous right to the end what she's doing here. She's down to the wire in her being a terrible person who hurts everyone around her. So I don't really forgive her for it all just because she choose to get herself killed at the last minute in front of the girls. Good riddance.

Spoiler: The most important topic of all
    Show
    The shipping. Even Adora in her what she really wants hallucination knows Bow and Glimmer will be a thing. The two have always been close. So when they said they loved each other and he kissed her I'm like "It's about damn time."

Adora and Catra was something I didn't expect... and... in retrospect it's sorta obvious. But you never know how this sort of thing will go when it comes to the main cast of a show unfortunately. I'm happy that our cast is getting a happy ending and we don't have to have Catra redeemed through sacrificing her life or something.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Plus there's a general attitude running throughout that I appreciated. Forgiveness is not owed. No one's called out for being suspicious of the bad guys after they turned, Bow's not expected to just get over what Glimmer did. Everyone still distrusts Shadow Weaver. If you do wrong, and want to make amends, fine. It might lead down a good path. But that's on you to make, you're not owed a chance.
    So, so, sooooo much this. I cannot express on this forum the true depths of my visceral hatred and disgust for media that teaches children that they are morally obligated to forgive people who've hurt them-- often people who refuse to admit wrongdoing-- for the sake of "family" or "harmony" or whatever and it is just so refreshing to see a work with strong themes of redemption and acceptance... where these blessings are given only by the choice of the wronged parties, and only after substantial effort on the part of the people seeking redemption to show they're genuine.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Word of God confirms that Glimmer and Bow's declarations were not platonic, though they only finalized that decision in the recording session: https://tv.avclub.com/do-i-read-this...1843403035/amp
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

So, so, sooooo much this. I cannot express on this forum the true depths of my visceral hatred and disgust for media that teaches children that they are morally obligated to forgive people who've hurt them-- often people who refuse to admit wrongdoing-- for the sake of "family" or "harmony" or whatever and it is just so refreshing to see a work with strong themes of redemption and acceptance... where these blessings are given only by the choice of the wronged parties, and only after substantial effort on the part of the people seeking redemption to show they're genuine.
    There is nothing I love more than a good redemption narrative.

And nothing I hate more than redemption being easy.

Spoiler: In context of this season
    Show
    I really liked Shadow Weaver's final scene. We didn't have a firm idea of what she was feeling for most of the show, she's almost impossible to read. But her final act is throwing aside cold calculation and protecting both the figures she viewed as daughters. She didn't try to talk Adora past her feelings towards Catra, didn't try to use the same tricks she always had. And Adora was poisoned and lowkey delerious, Weaver could have lied to keep her going.

Does that final act make up for all the bad things she's done? That's up to Adora and Catra. But it recontextualized some of her past scenes as more firmly honest advice from someone with a ruthless perspective and I was sad to see her go. Her final attack using light magic especially got to me - for all her misdeeds, cruelties and manipulations, her final act was heroism. And so she died as Light Spinner, at least to me. And all that without forcing the idea that Adora and Catra have to look at her differently because she Did A Good Thing.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Spamalot in the Playground

This was a really good season. I cried a little near the end.

Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically when Catra said "I love you" to Adora. That was beautiful.

(I for one think Catra's new haircut made her cuter. I'd probably get scratched for doing what Bo was doing. "You're so cute!")

I loved Wrong-Hordak's performance. He was comedy gold wherever he showed up. XD
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-05-17 at 10:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Word of God confirms that Glimmer and Bow's declarations were not platonic, though they only finalized that decision in the recording session: https://tv.avclub.com/do-i-read-this...1843403035/amp
    I generally have to accept that my understanding of romance has some serious blind spots. Personally I always read Bow and Glimmer as having a more platonic relationship. I guess I know now that my read is wrong all day long.

Spoiler: She-Ra Season 5: Relationships, love and other things that I know nothing about
    Show
    I'm still not sure about how I feel about Catra being paired with Adora in the end... Not because I don't feel like there weren't mutual feelings there, throughout the series it's pretty clear that there were, though there was always a lot to unpack there.

My read on Catra was that she was never able to accept love, either from Adora or Scorpia, because she hated herself. Maybe this is just how soulless husks like me think, but I think I would have preferred if Catra wasn't paired with anyone in the end but ended up learning some measure of self-compassion.

On the subject of self-love though... Adora could do with a little of that herself. That little exchange Mara had with Adora? I really liked that.

Mara: "You're worth more than what you can give to other people. You deserve love too."

What a nice thought. I think a lot of us could stand to hear things like that said to us more often. Not much else to say about it. I just thought it was really good.

Spoiler: miscellaneous other nonsense
    Show
    So She-Ra's new design? Not bad. I gather the shape that flashes when She-Ra's crown forms is meant to look like the mask-thing that Catra used to wear? I'm pretty sure the heart in her chest piece is supposed to resemble Bow's. There's probably an element in the new She-Ra outfit that's supposed to recall something that Glimmer wears as well, I'm just not seeing it.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but Keston John gave some pretty good performances. There's some differences in how Horde Prime, Hordak and Wrong Hordak talk. They're subtle, close enough that it can be believed that they're effectively copies of the same person, but they're different enough to be clear that they actually are different people with distinct personalities.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

The Fury about outfits conversation you brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Spoiler: miscellaneous other nonsense
    Show
    So She-Ra's new design? Not bad. I gather the shape that flashes when She-Ra's crown forms is meant to look like the mask-thing that Catra used to wear? I'm pretty sure the heart in her chest piece is supposed to resemble Bow's. There's probably an element in the new She-Ra outfit that's supposed to recall something that Glimmer wears as well, I'm just not seeing it.
    Spoiler: Outfits
    Show

The shoes / boots with the wings are supposed to represent Glimmer...I think.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Spoiler: She-Ra Season 5: Relationships, love and other things that I know nothing about
    Show
    I'm still not sure about how I feel about Catra being paired with Adora in the end... Not because I don't feel like there weren't mutual feelings there, throughout the series it's pretty clear that there were, though there was always a lot to unpack there.

My read on Catra was that she was never able to accept love, either from Adora or Scorpia, because she hated herself. Maybe this is just how soulless husks like me think, but I think I would have preferred if Catra wasn't paired with anyone in the end but ended up learning some measure of self-compassion.

On the subject of self-love though... Adora could do with a little of that herself. That little exchange Mara had with Adora? I really liked that.

Mara: "You're worth more than what you can give to other people. You deserve love too."

What a nice thought. I think a lot of us could stand to hear things like that said to us more often. Not much else to say about it. I just thought it was really good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What makes Catra and Adora such great rivals is that they essentially have the same problem: they only measure their value in what they do for others, be that saving the day or conquering the world. And their biggest enemies are largely themselves, undermining their accomplishments (at least in their own head) by assuming that if they fail to do something, people will turn on them. Which makes sense considering they're both Horde-raised and more specifically Shadow Weaver-raised.

They can't love themselves because from their perspective nobody loves them, other people only love what they can accomplish. So it literally takes two people who can't love themselves to love each other to see the value in themselves. Because they can see the value in each other beyond their accomplishments when they can't see their own.

Ah, the love of damaged people.

-----------
    This last season was fast, I mean dang there were clearly some short time jumps in there that really helped speed it along too.
    Cliffnotes:
    Wrong Hordak was amazing, and a great way of showing that the clones were people too.
    Hordak Classic's struggle with individual was very nice without dominating the story.
    Horde Prime absolutely wrecked the villain scene. I mean, for the first time in a lot of shows we get to see a bad guy who has won and we clearly see that in his stance that he wants the Heart but doesn't really feel like he needs it. It's just another trophy for his collection, which even then doesn't really mean anything to him. At least until the end.
    Shadow Weaver can't stop shadow-weavering until she's about to lose her "daughters". And Adora and Catra being broken up about the only "mother" they know, even a super-screwed up one, dying was absolutely on point.
    Getting to see a "evil version" of many of the heroes was reaaaaaaalllly awesome. Evil Micha, wow what a piece of work. Scorpia the "silent murderer" was actually pretty terrifying.

Repeating the story of "the First Ones were pretty terrible to the point where they converted a planet into a superweapon to kill everyone when they couldn't beat Horde Prime" continued to play out a nice theme that galactic empires are still empires.

Catra finally getting some powers was nice.

"Pairing up" at the end was nice, but also kinda rushed, really felt like there could have been some hints dropped along the way, but *shrug* that's not an uncommon problem among cartoons. Catdora is very acceptable, two broken people finding value in themselves by other people finding value in them.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Watched foirst three episdoes last night.

Spoiler: s5, e1-3
    Show
    Usyal level of standard, at this point, not surprisingly, poor Bow being The Only Sane One half the time. (Also, his spacesuit had an exposed belly. I'd raise quistions, but... Pfftahahahahahaha!)

So, midden has hit windwill, it also was framed like we won't see much of the other princesses this season.

Catra. Well, it was delighftul to see her floundering as last, finally in a position where she couldn't actually get manipulate her way up.

Horde Prime was pretty cool, and his clones are genuinely a little bit creepy enmass.

And Catra finally Did Something Not Inherently Selfish. Well, she has basically cracked and with no-where to run. Good odds she'll show up as some sort of brain-washed minion when we see her again, once feels.

Though how good that one thing she did, consdiering she previously 95% caused all this I find debatable. The more we see of Catra as a child, the I believe that Shadoweaver was only, like partly responsible, she awlays strikes me as just kind of a massive [Richard] even at the best of times. Shadoweaver definitely made her worse and gave her a comlex, yes, but it strikes me as Catra didn't need much of a push to be naturally obnoxious.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Watched foirst three episdoes last night.

Spoiler: s5, e1-3
    Show
    Usyal level of standard, at this point, not surprisingly, poor Bow being The Only Sane One half the time. (Also, his spacesuit had an exposed belly. I'd raise quistions, but... Pfftahahahahahaha!)

So, midden has hit windwill, it also was framed like we won't see much of the other princesses this season.

Catra. Well, it was delighftul to see her floundering as last, finally in a position where she couldn't actually get manipulate her way up.

Horde Prime was pretty cool, and his clones are genuinely a little bit creepy enmass.

And Catra finally Did Something Not Inherently Selfish. Well, she has basically cracked and with no-where to run. Good odds she'll show up as some sort of brain-washed minion when we see her again, once feels.

Though how good that one thing she did, consdiering she previously 95% caused all this I find debatable. The more we see of Catra as a child, the I believe that Shadoweaver was only, like partly responsible, she awlays strikes me as just kind of a massive [Richard] even at the best of times. Shadoweaver definitely made her worse and gave her a comlex, yes, but it strikes me as Catra didn't need much of a push to be naturally obnoxious.

Spoiler: eps1-3
    Show
    It seems to me that Catra could have turned out to be a fairly healthy individual, all things considered, if she hadn't been raised in that environment. Her dependance on Adora is based in Shadow Weaver's treatment of the two of them - Adora is the only source of familial love, security and intimacy she has, so it's not surprising she would be driven to monopolize her.

The obnoxious tendencies you see are mainly standard symptoms of childhood - many children struggle with empathy or expanding their worldview beyond their own perspective, at first. A good parent makes a world of difference.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2020-05-18 at 08:51 AM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Idle Thought
    Show
    It is probably not a coincidence that, in a show which builds to a climax of lesbian love *literally* saving the universe, that the ultimate evil evokes themes of conformity, pseudo-rationality, and religious fanaticism.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: s5, e4-6
    Show
    So apparently we're doing a Sasuke on Catra, are we?

Disappointing, if not unexpected.

She-Ra's new look is pretty darn cool, though.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: unspoiler
    Show
    That means for a thing that does not happen.

Entrapta said whoever closed the portal would be trapped inside, maybe forever. Angella is immortal. Unless breaking her connection to the moon stone took that away, she had more excuse to survive and be rescued than King Micah did. That hasn't come up yet. The planet isn't even in Despondos anymore. She could even have found her own way out when the planet returned through a giant portal to normal space. The possibility was left open for her to come back, and it's never really closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If we know one thing about Scorpia, it's that she couldn't hold a grudge with a grudge-holding spoon. Also she just got out of being mind-controlled by Hordak Prime, and almost killing Bow in the process. That would put anyone in a forgiving mood.
    Spoiler: Scorpia
    Show
    Scorpia versus spoons isn't really a fair matchup to begin with. You've got to at least make it something like a bucket for her to have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    Spoiler: One of us one of us
    Show
    Am I the only one who burst out laughing at the Prime clones every time they began chanting something. If they were going for creepy I don't think they hit the mark.

Spoiler: In space no one can hear you vogue
    Show
    Those space suits are stupid. Stupidly amazing. I expected Bow to still be showing abs so the little tiny transparent window was actually more practical than I expected. And watching him accidentally humiliate Catra over her helmet having ears.

Spoiler: Character developement haircut
    Show
    I miss Catra's mane. It was a good look when she was a brainwashed cult member admittedly.
    Spoiler: Chanting
    Show
    it had a very Dalek cadence, but most were way too long to chant menacingly.

Spoiler: New looks
    Show
    Bow is just saying what we're all thinking. Several moments of that hit me, and not all from Bow.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler: s5, e4-6
    Show
    So apparently we're doing a Sasuke on Catra, are we?

Disappointing, if not unexpected.

She-Ra's new look is pretty darn cool, though.
    Spoiler: Catra Redemption Arc
    Show
    Hey now. She is actually making an effort to redeem herself. She sacrificed what little safety she had to save GLIMMER of all people. Sasuke did jack ****.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: Catra Redemption Arc
    Show
    Hey now. She is actually making an effort to redeem herself. She sacrificed what little safety she had to save GLIMMER of all people. Sasuke did jack ****.
    Spoiler: On up to Ep 6
    Show
    Yeah. this. so much this. I didn't see Sasuke taking a hit for anyone, not even Team Hawk! that jerk was basically a second Pain up until the very end with the duel. Catra was sacrificing herself without any hope of living past that moment, she could've easily died there and Adora's rescue mission would've been for nought and it would've been completely believable. honestly its pure luck that Adora was able to save her at all. like, Horde Prime could've easily killed Catra before she ever arrived, the only thing saving her was the plot.

Spoiler: On Catra, spoilers for entire season
    Show

honestly, I'd compare this redemption to Zuko much more. they both had redemption in the last season, but both made efforts and weren't immediately rewarded for it. Catra pretty gets mind controlled for her troubles and needs to be saved by Adora, then she needs to be a taught a lesson on working with others afterwards so that they don't die to being tracked, then pretty much has to risk going back to a world where she could get mind controlled again, see Scorpia, one of her friends be mind controlled as well, get attacked by her weakness in the form of the water princess, then has to watch the love of her life get manipulated by the mother she hates into sacrificing herself again, with only her tearful pleadings saving Adora from nearly dying.

also it was either that or live the rest of her life surrounded by creepy green hordaks who can't be bullied or bargained with who would eventually probably mind control her anyways. given that Horde Prime's stated goal is the destruction of reality that wouldn't be long. I'd think at that point even if her moral compass is broken to scrap, her logic compass would be pointing to "yeah this won't work out well for us." and really? she didn't think Adora would come back to save her, or would be able to. Catra was probably thinking she was going to die and that Adora hated her enough to not rescue her and thus do something completely pointless. thankfully she was wrong. but y'know, betraying a no-nonsense enemy like Horde Prime? you tend to assume your not going to live past the next few moments of doing that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I just want to point out that the article mentions them talking about a 'slice of life' season. Do you think we could get a fan petition going for this, for some She-Ra shorts? Even if not a full season of drama, just a chance to see this amazing cast again? I have half a dozen ideas in my head alone, so I'm sure this staff can think of even more (and let's be honest, better ones too lol).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa333 View Post
    I just want to point out that the article mentions them talking about a 'slice of life' season. Do you think we could get a fan petition going for this, for some She-Ra shorts? Even if not a full season of drama, just a chance to see this amazing cast again? I have half a dozen ideas in my head alone, so I'm sure this staff can think of even more (and let's be honest, better ones too lol).
    I crave content where She-Ra’s Bow and Seahawk meet Avatar the Last Airbender’s Sokka and Toph. Also an episode with Catra and Netossa going shopping while Adora is shopping with Spinerella.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I crave content where She-Ra’s Bow and Seahawk meet Avatar the Last Airbender’s Sokka and Toph. Also an episode with Catra and Netossa going shopping while Adora is shopping with Spinerella.
    Girls no that is the most wrong pairing if you need advice to get a gift for your loved one. Spinny's going suggest cute, warm colours and Netossa will suggest biker jackets and of course that seems perfect but it'd more be a gift for themselves and not their partners aaah.

I love this.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Girls no that is the most wrong pairing if you need advice to get a gift for your loved one. Spinny's going suggest cute, warm colours and Netossa will suggest biker jackets and of course that seems perfect but it'd more be a gift for themselves and not their partners aaah.

I love this.
    Exactly!!!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Sadly, Mattel will probably never allow Noelle to have control of She-Ra again. It's no secret that they've hated how she did it because it's nearly impossible to make cheap toys out of.

23. - Top - End - #53

SwashbucklerGuy

I don't know if it could carry a whole season, but i did think the show needed an epilogue. Like, what happens to Hordak and all the clones?

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Sadly, Mattel will probably never allow Noelle to have control of She-Ra again. It's no secret that they've hated how she did it because it's nearly impossible to make cheap toys out of.
    I'd need to see proof of that because it'd be piss easy to make toys of these character designs they're all really good, and they approved a lotta stuff these companies tend not to so they're not antagonistic at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    I don't know if it could carry a whole season, but i did think the show needed an epilogue. Like, what happens to Hordak and all the clones?
    Well, I imagine Hordak and Entrapta are going to have a rocky rekindling of their relationship, but once everything is settled they'll probably return to her kingdom of exactly one kitchen staff and, hey, there's a ton of free space here. The clones live here now, probably organized by Wrong who is the one with the most experience with freedom at this point as a sort of minister.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'd need to see proof of that because it'd be piss easy to make toys of these character designs they're all really good, and they approved a lotta stuff these companies tend not to so they're not antagonistic at the very least.
    I wish I could find the articles about Mattel's opinion, but it comes from pretty long ago, I don't know if I could find them again. >_< Can't ask you to trust my word on it either, wouldn't be fair.

26. - Top - End - #56

AssassinGuy

So a few more random thoughts.

Spoiler: The future vision is bright: Final episode
    Show
    So Adora is shown a holographic projection of what she wants. And it's to be together with her friends celebrating Scopia's first hosting of the princess ball. And I gotta say...

Dem all is a handsome bunch. Seems a generally more mature look and set of outfits compared to the previous princess ball where most of them looked like it was a elementary school dance

Glimmer's straightened her hair or something. Looks sharper and less floofy. And Bow looks good with a little soul patch. He's also grown it out a bit and has a poofy bun now. The thing people do now with hair where they shave some sections and grow others long is never something I'll understand but whatever.

Oh! THEY HAVE MATCHING CAPES!!! matching capes...They are adorable.

Adora's looking very elegant in a white and gold accented dress. I don't know if the cape/train thing is a great idea but maybe she's just not comfortable showing as much back as the dress would without it. She does look the least comfortable of the bunch in her oufit until late in the scene but that might just be the getting stuck in a hologram thing.

Catra grew her hair out again and it's still a bit wild because Catra. And she has it up in a ponytail. Hmm who do we know who wears her hair in a ponytail. And she's got some nice formal slacks. And a red jacket with a gold feather button on it. Hmmm Have we ever seen someone wear a red jacket with a gold feather accessory? She's keeping it casual for now slinging a white formal jacket with gold accenting over her shoulder.

That's gonna match Adora's dress when she needs to borrow it later when the temperature outside dips.

Spoiler: Missing in action
    Show
    I too am a bit surprised that no effort was made to rescue Glimmer's totally not dead mom. I was completely sure at some point she'd get out of that trapped in the portal thing but nope

Going forward I wouldn't say no to another season whatever that might entail. Even if it reveals the actual OTP. Everybody X Therapy. Cause like Steven universe everybody is probably a bit screwed up and has something to work out in the post war era.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

27. - Top - End - #57

I'm gonna say something controversial; I actually like that Queen Angela's noble sacrifice to save the world sticks and she's actually straight up dead. It's sad, yeah, it's SUPER sad... but it does feel very meaningful that Angela sacrificed herself and there's no walking that back, especially because if it wasn't her... it would have been Adora. Another example of Adora trying to sacrifice her autonomy for others, and someone who is responsible for her care going "no. You deserve more than this."

It fits the themes real well, is what I'm saying. Adults taking responsibility, and making it so that younger folk don't suffer... though it does hurt Glimmer a fair bit, I think a large part of that season was Glimmer becoming ready to be Queen, she just never realized it herself.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm gonna say something controversial; I actually like that Queen Angela's noble sacrifice to save the world sticks and she's actually straight up dead. It's sad, yeah, it's SUPER sad... but it does feel very meaningful that Angela sacrificed herself and there's no walking that back, especially because if it wasn't her... it would have been Adora. Another example of Adora trying to sacrifice her autonomy for others, and someone who is responsible for her care going "no. You deserve more than this."

It fits the themes real well, is what I'm saying. Adults taking responsibility, and making it so that younger folk don't suffer... though it does hurt Glimmer a fair bit, I think a large part of that season was Glimmer becoming ready to be Queen, she just never realized it herself.
    As a general rule, I agree that characters who die to stay dead, especially when the death was a meaningful one.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I wish I could find the articles about Mattel's opinion, but it comes from pretty long ago, I don't know if I could find them again. >_< Can't ask you to trust my word on it either, wouldn't be fair.
    I don't doubt that a "Mattel hates the new She-Ra" article exists. Though I've seen a lot of articles about who hates the show circulating around the internet and some of the veracity of them seems questionable. I mean, a pretty popular subject was that Netflix was killing the show prematurely because... not enough views or something? In actuality, Netflix and Dreamworks agreed to a set number of episodes to tell a complete self-contained story. Then things went exactly as planned...

Know what? I agree with you. As a general rule, I don't like it when a character dies, is mourned, their loved ones grieve and move on... Then the "dead" character turned out to be fine. I get that some people are more OK with it than me, and that's fine, I can really only guess at the appeal...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Spamalot in the Playground

I was happy with the finale.

Spoiler
    Show
    "We're gonna win in the end," indeed

The sheer density of queerness warmed my heart. They still danced around Kygel a bit too much for my liking but they at least confirmed that it existed. And I was fully expecting either one of Bow's parents or Net/Spin to end up fridged to show how bad the bad guy was, but thankfully they didn't do that.

Scorfuma was probably my favorite ship. Adora and Catra... I have my doubts about that one, it really is unhealthy and Catra hasn't really solved any of her BPD issues of putting Adora on a pedestal, but I do at least feel the redemption was earned.

RIP Shadoweaver, you were always my favorite
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-05-21 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)