New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    You could try to argue that it doesn’t say “an attack with a ranged weapon,” so any weapon attack that is ranged applies. If he still won’t let that fly, then the best you can do is get advantage on the attack to negate the disadvantage. At least, without home brew.
    R185.
    In my PHB it says for the feat 'You have mastered ranged weapons...' on p170 and in the weapons listing on p149, there are separate headings for simple and martial "Ranged Weapons," so I don't think it should fly.

Can you use an atladl? Sorry I do not have official 5e stats in my resources, but it should push out your effective javelin range before disadvantage applies. The atladl may not be official but it might be easier for your DM to allow as homebrew.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q190

TCoE's Amulet of the Devout reads, in part, "While you wear the holy symbol, you gain a bonus to spell attack rolls and the saving throw DCs of your spells. The bonus is determined by the amulet’s rarity."

My 9th level cleric (18 Wis) with a +1 amulet has a "cleric spell save DC" = 8 (base) + 4 (PB) + 4 (Wis) + 1 (Amulet) = 17.

Cleric Channel Divinity (PHB) reads, in part, "Some Channel Divinity effects require saving throws. When you use such an effect from this class, the DC equals your cleric spell save DC."

Am I correct in saying since my "cleric spell save DC" is affected by the amulet, that it also affects the DC of my channel divinity class abilities?

I understand that "saving throw DCs of your spells" could be interpreted to mean different than "spell save DC", similar to the whole "melee weapon attack" being not equal to "melee attack with a weapon". If that's the argument, is there precedent for applying that rationale to save DCs? I'm not aware of any, but any guidance is appreciated.
    Emongnome

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    Q190

TCoE's Amulet of the Devout reads, in part, "While you wear the holy symbol, you gain a bonus to spell attack rolls and the saving throw DCs of your spells. The bonus is determined by the amulet’s rarity."

My 9th level cleric (18 Wis) with a +1 amulet has a "cleric spell save DC" = 8 (base) + 4 (PB) + 4 (Wis) + 1 (Amulet) = 17.
    A190

I would say No, based on your description of the amulet (I do not have TCoE yet). The amulet description states it applies to spell attack rolls and to the save DC of spells. Conjure Divinity is not a spell. The amulet's magic will not activate. In this case, your save DC becomes 8 (base) + 4 (PB) + 4 (Wis) + 0 (Amulet does not activate because you are not casting a spell) = 16. Think of it as holding a +1 mace, but instead attacking with a nonmagical hammer.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CapnWildefyr View Post
    A190

I would say No, based on your description of the amulet (I do not have TCoE yet). The amulet description states it applies to spell attack rolls and to the save DC of spells. Conjure Divinity is not a spell. The amulet's magic will not activate. In this case, your save DC becomes 8 (base) + 4 (PB) + 4 (Wis) + 0 (Amulet does not activate because you are not casting a spell) = 16. Think of it as holding a +1 mace, but instead attacking with a nonmagical hammer.
    I think this is not so simple a question and may need its own thread. :/

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q191

I asked this in a separate thread, but got numerous differing answers, so I'm trying again here.

Q: If a Twilight Cleric activates their Twilight Sanctuary in an area of bright light, does the area become dim?

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary
    At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:
    You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
    You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

A191:

Undefined in the rules as written. Sorry.

Powers &8^]

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

[B]Q192

If I have an NPC using the "Transmuter" stat block from Xanathar's guide, and they cast the "Ray of Frost" cantrip, how much damage would they deal on a hit?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCleverGuy View Post
    [B]Q192

If I have an NPC using the "Transmuter" stat block from Xanathar's guide, and they cast the "Ray of Frost" cantrip, how much damage would they deal on a hit?
    A192 I believe you meant Volo's guide, not Xanathar's. Anyhow, as indicated in the stat block, the transmuter is considered a 9th-level spellcaster. That means ray of frost deals 2d8 cold damage on a hit.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q191

I asked this in a separate thread, but got numerous differing answers, so I'm trying again here.

Q: If a Twilight Cleric activates their Twilight Sanctuary in an area of bright light, does the area become dim?

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary
    At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:
    You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
    You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.
    A191

It states that it gives off dim light. Dim light does not make other light darker with other light sources, and no other light rules are given, so the area stays bright.
    Last edited by Avonar; 2021-01-15 at 11:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Avonar View Post
    A191

It states that it gives off dim light. Dim light does not make other light darker with other light sources, and no other light rules are given, so the area stays bright.
    It says the sphere "is filled with dim light," not "gives off dim light." If the light inside the sphere is bright, the aphere is not "filled with dim light," and thus is not doing what the rules say it does.

Ultimately, though, ask your DM. DMs will vary.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 191,

Of note PHB pg 183 states Twilight "counts as dim light." It also states that dim light creates the lightly obscured condition.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 192

If a Barbarian is holding a Greataxe when she rolls result 4 on the Wild Magic Barbarian table, can she wield it one handed?

Spoiler: Rules Text
    Show
    Magic infuses one weapon of your choice that you are holding. Until your rage ends, the weapon’s damage type changes to force, and it gains the light and thrown properties, with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. If the weapon leaves your hand, the weapon reappears in your hand at the end of the current turn.

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q. 192

If a Barbarian is holding a Greataxe when she rolls result 4 on the Wild Magic Barbarian table, can she wield it one handed?

Spoiler: Rules Text
    Show
    Magic infuses one weapon of your choice that you are holding. Until your rage ends, the weapon’s damage type changes to force, and it gains the light and thrown properties, with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. If the weapon leaves your hand, the weapon reappears in your hand at the end of the current turn.
    A 192 RAW, I'd say no. The light property and the two-handed property are different - just because you added the light property doesn't change the fact that the weapon still takes two hands to use.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 193

RAW what is a magical effect and what isn't? Is a Mind Flayer's Mind Blast or a Dragon't Frightful Presence / Breath or a Fomorian's Evil Eye, etc, a magical effect?

More specifically:

Antimagic Field (or Beholder Eye)
    A 10-foot-radius Invisible Sphere of antimagic surrounds you. This area is divorced from the magical energy that suffuses the multiverse. Within the Sphere, Spells can't be cast, summoned creatures disappear, and even Magic Items become mundane. Until the spell ends, the Sphere moves with you, centered on you.

Spells and other magical Effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the Sphere and can't protrude into it. A slot expended to cast a suppressed spell is consumed. While an Effect is suppressed, it doesn't function, but the time it spends suppressed counts against its Duration.

Targeted Effects: Spells and other magical Effects, such as Magic Missile and Charm Person, that target a creature or an object in the Sphere have no Effect on that target.

Areas of Magic: The area of another spell or magical Effect, such as Fireball, can't extend into the Sphere. If the Sphere overlaps an area of magic, the part of the area that is covered by the Sphere is suppressed. For example, the flames created by a Wall of Fire are suppressed within the Sphere, creating a gap in the wall if the overlap is large enough.

Spells: Any active spell or other magical Effect on a creature or an object in the Sphere is suppressed while the creature or object is in it.

Magic Items: The Properties and powers of Magic Items are suppressed in the Sphere. For example, a +1 long sword in the Sphere functions as a nonmagical long sword. A magic weapon's Properties and powers are suppressed if it is used against a target in the Sphere or wielded by an attacker in the Sphere. If a Magic Weapon or piece of magic Ammunition fully leaves the Sphere (For example, if you fire a Magic Arrow or throw a magic spear at a target outside the sphere), the magic of the item ceases to be suppressed as soon as it exits.

Magical Travel: Teleportation and Planar Travel fail to work in the Sphere, whether the Sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical Travel. A portal to another location, world, or plane of existence, as well as an opening to an extradimensional space such as that created by the Rope Trick Spells, temporarily closes while in the Sphere.

Creatures and Objects: A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the Sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the Sphere.

Dispel Magic: Spells and magical Effects such as Dispel Magic have no Effect on the Sphere. Likewise, the spheres created by different antimagic field Spells don't nullify each other.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q 193

RAW what is a magical effect and what isn't? Is a Mind Flayer's Mind Blast or a Dragon't Frightful Presence / Breath or a Fomorian's Evil Eye, etc, a magical effect?
    A193

The written rules do not explicitly address this question. Sage Advice has, though. Here's a quotation, hopefully okay under fair use:

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice Compendium
    But our game makes a distinction between two types of magic:
    • the background magic that is part of the D&D multiverse’s physics and the physiology of many D&D creatures
    • the concentrated magical energy that is contained in a magic item or channeled to create a spell or other focused magical effect

In D&D, the first type of magic is part of nature. It is no more dispellable than the wind. A monster like a dragon exists because of that magic-enhanced nature. The second type of magic is what the rules are concerned about. When a rule refers to something being magical, it’s referring to that second type. Determining whether a game feature is magical is straightforward. Ask yourself these questions about the feature:
    • Is it a magic item?
    • Is it a spell? Or does it let you create the effects of a spell that’s mentioned in its description?
    • Is it a spell attack?
    • Is it fueled by the use of spell slots?
    • Does its description say it’s magical?

If your answer to any of those questions is yes, the feature is magical.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 194

Forcecage has a duration of 1 hour and does not require concentration. The spell description says nothing about ending it early. Is there any way a caster who casts Forcecage can end it early?

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 195

If you cast HEX on someone and choose WISDOM, then their PASSIVE abilities (like PERCEPTION) are decreased by 5, right?

18. - Top - End - #498

GnomeWizardGuy

A 195

Yes. PHB, Chapter 7 (emphasis added):

Here's how to determine a character's total for a passive check:

10 + all modifiers that normally apply to the check

If the character has advantage on the check, add 5. For disadvantage, subtract 5. The game refers to a passive check total as a score.
    Note that Investigation is also a passive check, but uses intelligence, so it isn't all their passives, just Perception and Insight.

Edit: Missed a parenthesis
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2021-01-31 at 04:38 PM.
    Emongnome

19. - Top - End - #499

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q196 When you cast Animate Object on an object, does it remain an object, or does it lose its objectivity and become a creature?

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post
    Q 194

Forcecage has a duration of 1 hour and does not require concentration. The spell description says nothing about ending it early. Is there any way a caster who casts Forcecage can end it early?
    A194 No, I don't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Q196 When you cast Animate Object on an object, does it remain an object, or does it lose its objectivity and become a creature?
    A196 The spell says that the target becomes a creature.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q197 Can you cast the Aid spell on yourself?

Any reasoning or references appreciated. I think my group is misinterpreting it in suggesting it can't be cast on one's self. I couldn't find anything in Sage Advice. Aid's flavor text mentions that it "bolsters your allies with toughness and resolve". But then mechanically it says "choose up to three creatures in range", without further qualifiers. To me, the latter is definitive but I'd like to be able to lay it out for my group if there's something RAW that makes it clear.

Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

A197 Yes, you can cast the aid spell on yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p204, Targeting Yourself
    lf a spell targets a creature of your choice, you can choose yourself, unless the creature must be hostile or specifically a creature other than you. lf you are in the area of effect of a spell you cast, you can target yourself.

23. - Top - End - #503

PaladinGuy

Q198: I see references (e.g. in the Jorasco Physician build) to familiars administering healing potions. How does a non-warlock acquire a familiar with the necessary manual dexterity? I can't see a weasel (for e.g.) doing this.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

A198: A familiar, while confined to the body of a beast, has the intelligence of an otherworldly spirit, bound to serve its summoner. This is reflected in its ability to take normal actions (besides Attack), including the administering of a potion of healing. Assuming the vial is simply stoppered, corked, or capped, it is plausible that a smart enough animal should be able to open it with its paws, mouth, or other appendages.

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q198: I see references (e.g. in the Jorasco Physician build) to familiars administering healing potions. How does a non-warlock acquire a familiar with the necessary manual dexterity? I can't see a weasel (for e.g.) doing this.
    A198: At least in Tomb of Annihilation, it says that a DM might permit a familiar to take the form of a flying monkey. They have opposable thumbs.

26. - Top - End - #506

I'm new to D&D 5e. Most familiar with 3.5.

For clerics, it looks like they have a set number of spell slots to cast. That the wisdom modifier only affects the amount of spells you can prepare. Is that correct? Is there a way to increase the amount of spells slots you have?

27. - Top - End - #507

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    I'm new to D&D 5e. Most familiar with 3.5.

For clerics, it looks like they have a set number of spell slots to cast. That the wisdom modifier only affects the amount of spells you can prepare. Is that correct? Is there a way to increase the amount of spells slots you have?
    A199

Not adding spell slots per se, but in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, there's an option to recover spell slots using your Channel Divinity. There's also feats that grant spells cast 1/day, but again, this is adding spells cast, not increasing spell slots.
    Emongnome

28. - Top - End - #508

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    A199

Not adding spell slots per se, but in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, there's an option to recover spell slots using your Channel Divinity. There's also feats that grant spells cast 1/day, but again, this is adding spells cast, not increasing spell slots.
    That's lame that increasing the spellcasting ability score does not increase the amount of spell slots you have.

Thank you for answering.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    That's lame that increasing the spellcasting ability score does not increase the amount of spell slots you have.
    R199 There's not much point, as the game is designed such that Clerics will almost always have a Wisdom of 16 to start and reach 20 by Level 12 at the latest. The difference would be minimal, with no concomitant benefit to the differentiation.

Powers &8^]

30. - Top - End - #510
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 200:

I am a Samurai using Fighting Spirit and, on declaring my first weapon attack, also use Rapid Strikes. I then lose the advantage on both the normal and bonus attack coming from Rapid Strikes.
    If, just before me, the Cleric successfully cast Guiding Bolt on my target, do I regain the advantage on the first (regular) attack that had been influenced by Rapid Strikes?