New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q296
    A candle of invocation has an inherent alignment, which influences the powers itgrants under its first mode (burn 1 minute at a time for advantage on attacks, free 1st level spells for clerics, etc.). Does it affect in any way the candle's second mode (i.e.consume immediately to cast the Gate spell... But only to travel to a plane/summon a specific named creature whose alignment matches the candle's)?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Q296
    A candle of invocation has an inherent alignment, which influences the powers itgrants under its first mode (burn 1 minute at a time for advantage on attacks, free 1st level spells for clerics, etc.). Does it affect in any way the candle's second mode (i.e.consume immediately to cast the Gate spell... But only to travel to a plane/summon a specific named creature whose alignment matches the candle's)?
    A296: If it doesn't say it has such a restriction, it doesn't have such a restriction. It does what it says it does.

Of course, the DM is free to make one that has such limitations if he wishes.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q297 Are any creatures immune to sneak attack and if so by what rule mechanic?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 297 Not exactly an express immunity to sneak attack per se, but any creature that can guarantee that attacks against it are made at disadvantage is de facto immune to sneak attack. Displacer beasts (until they are hit), unseen creatures (until they are revealed), and creatures that are more than 150 feet away are effectively immune to sneak attacks. Careful (and potentially unfun) DM planning can make sneak attacks difficult or impossible to pull off.

Also creatures immune to damage from attacks are immune to sneak attacks, but anything that overcomes that immunity allows sneak attacks in too.
    Last edited by No brains; 2021-11-15 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 298

A:
    Character A took their first level as Fighter, and then 10 levels as wizard / war school. They use a sword and shield and have the warcaster feat. Character A wants to cast "Slow" - which has a somatic and material component. Warcaster enables the Somatic component while wielding a sword, but the rules also state that a free hand is needed to access the component pouch, or they can use a focus if the component is not consumed. Thus, Character has to stow the weapon (free as part of the "You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free") if they want to cast "Slow", but they will not have their sword drawn until next round, when they can draw for free, correct? If "yes", can they choose anything that will allow them to use the sword as a focus?

B:
    Character B took their first 10 levels as Bard/Lore and then 1 level as Warlock / Hexblade -. They use a sword and shield. Gaining access to the "Shield" spell, they want to cast it when an enemy hits with an attack. Wielding a sword and shield, they cannot cast Shield since it requires a somatic component and they can't drop their sword as part of the reaction. Unless they take the "Warcaster" feat, can they never cast "Shield" if they wield Sword and Shield, correct?

C:
    I'm creating an NPC with "Paladin flavor", and I'm re-reading the rules for casting while wielding sword and shield (I'm the perpetual DM, and this is the first time I'm using a sword and board caster NPC). From what I can tell, a Paladin can't cast spells with S components unless they have the warcaster feat, correct?

If A, B or C are correct, we need to have a chat about how we're using/mishandling the rules! I feel like I'm missing something?
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    Q 298

A:
    Character A took their first level as Fighter, and then 10 levels as wizard / war school. They use a sword and shield and have the warcaster feat. Character A wants to cast "Slow" - which has a somatic and material component. Warcaster enables the Somatic component while wielding a sword, but the rules also state that a free hand is needed to access the component pouch, or they can use a focus if the component is not consumed. Thus, Character has to stow the weapon (free as part of the "You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free") if they want to cast "Slow", but they will not have their sword drawn until next round, when they can draw for free, correct? If "yes", can they choose anything that will allow them to use the sword as a focus?

B:
    Character B took their first 10 levels as Bard/Lore and then 1 level as Warlock / Hexblade -. They use a sword and shield. Gaining access to the "Shield" spell, they want to cast it when an enemy hits with an attack. Wielding a sword and shield, they cannot cast Shield since it requires a somatic component and they can't drop their sword as part of the reaction. Unless they take the "Warcaster" feat, can they never cast "Shield" if they wield Sword and Shield, correct?

C:
    I'm creating an NPC with "Paladin flavor", and I'm re-reading the rules for casting while wielding sword and shield (I'm the perpetual DM, and this is the first time I'm using a sword and board caster NPC). From what I can tell, a Paladin can't cast spells with S components unless they have the warcaster feat, correct?

If A, B or C are correct, we need to have a chat about how we're using/mishandling the rules! I feel like I'm missing something?
    RAW for A&B, sure. For C, NPCs aren't PCs; if you as a DM want to make them follow the rules for PCs, knock yourself out.

However, I'd be asking myself if insisting on strictly following the rules here adds anything fun and/or interesting to the game at all.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q299 : Does a 5E version of "bardic knowledge" or the nearest equivalent exist in any Bard class/subclass/spell?
    Last edited by Necrosnoop110; 2021-11-27 at 12:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 300 In what ways does the Marut's Unerring Slam work as an attack? It is listed under 'multiattack' and it is describes a 'hit' effect, but does that mean it still counts as an attack? Can it prompt reactions that would be triggered by the phases of an attack such as targeting with an attack, making an attack roll, or hitting with an attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Spamalot in the Playground

A299: Legend Lore does this if you're looking for a spell. Beyond effects like that, no, there is no special category of knowledge that only bards can access - their facility for lore and related subjects is encapsulated into their high number of proficiencies, Expertise, and JOAT.

A300: As best I can tell, there's a bit of contention around whether "roll-less attacks" like Unerring Slam or an Arcane Archer's Seeking Arrow trigger attack/on-hit effects, e.g. Sneak Attack. Your DM may have to make a ruling here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #730
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    Q 298
    C:

A and B not totally sure, but C:

A 298: For C, there's additional interactions here. Specifically with the fact that the Paladin uses a Holy Symbol for casting. This is important because on page 151 of the PHB we have this:

Holy Symbol. A holy symbol is a representation of a god or pantheon. It might be an amulet depicting a symbol representing a deity, the same symbol carefully engraved or inlaid as an emblem on a shield, or a tiny box holding a fragment of a sacred relic. Appendix B lists the symbols commonly associated with many gods in the multiverse. A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter 10. To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.

It's that last part about bearing it on a shield that's important here. Now going to page 203, you have this:

MATERIAL (M)
    Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.
    lf a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component For each casting of the spell.
    A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

The way I interpret this to interact is that if a Paladin has their Holy Symbol inscribed on their shield (RAW as per PHB 151, cited above), and a spell needs a Somatic and Material component that the Symbol can be used for, then they can use the shield as such, no Warcaster feat required! This same theory also applies if they had a Ruby of the War Mage (XGtE p138) attached to their weapon, as then it is the focus, and you can perform Somatic components with your spellcasting focus, as per RAW!

Note: additionally, some state that if a spell is S and NOT M, then a focus needs to be stowed away in order to do so. I don't play or DM that way, but that's disputably RAW. Regardless, there is a way for a Paladin (or cleric) to cast spells while using their Shield as their Holy Symbol, RAW, without Warcaster.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q301
    I am a 7th level warlock. I have repelling blast (PHB pg 111) and Lance of Lethargy (Xanthar's, pg 57) as known invocations. (For reference, Repelling pushes foes 10 ft away, and Lance reduces speed by 10 ft)
    As a 7th lvl Warlock, when I use Eldritch Blast, I get 2 attacks with it. Assuming I hit the same foe:

a) Does the repelling blast push them back 10ft, or 20ft?

b) Does the Lance reduce their speed by 10ft, or 20ft?

12. - Top - End - #732

EvilClericGuy

A301a
    You can push the target back 10 feet each time you hit it with Eldritch Blast - so up to 20 feet, if you hit with both blasts.

A302b
    The speed reduction only happens once, as Lance of Lethargy specifies that it can only be used "once on each of your turns".

13. - Top - End - #733
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    A301a
    You can push the target back 10 feet each time you hit it with Eldritch Blast - so up to 20 feet, if you hit with both blasts.

A302b
    The speed reduction only happens once, as Lance of Lethargy specifies that it can only be used "once on each of your turns".
    Dang, I somehow missed that.

Q303

Same warlock, at 8th level get the feat Fey Touched, chooses compelled duel (PHB pg 224) as my 1st level enchantment spell. Target can only attack me if it fails it's save, and is a bonus action to cast. Part of the spell text says that they make a Wis saving through if they 'Move into a space more than 30 feat away from you'.

If I win inititave, cast this on someone 30ft away, move 30 more feet away, and attack him from this distance, does he have to make a will save when he attempts to move closer to me? He would be moving to a space 55 ft away, which is more than 30 ft away, and the spell makes no mention of the movement having to be away from me.

14. - Top - End - #734

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiVeil View Post
    Q303

Same warlock, at 8th level get the feat Fey Touched, chooses compelled duel (PHB pg 224) as my 1st level enchantment spell. Target can only attack me if it fails it's save, and is a bonus action to cast. Part of the spell text says that they make a Wis saving through if they 'Move into a space more than 30 feat away from you'.

If I win inititave, cast this on someone 30ft away, move 30 more feet away, and attack him from this distance, does he have to make a will save when he attempts to move closer to me? He would be moving to a space 55 ft away, which is more than 30 ft away, and the spell makes no mention of the movement having to be away from me.
    A303 The spell ends if you attack any other creature, if you cast a spell that targets a hostile creature other than the target, if a creature friendly to you damages the target or casts a harmful spell on it, or if you end your turn more than 30 feet away from the target.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q304

If you have temp HP (lets say 25 from a 5th lvl Armor of Agathys) and take damage (lets say 24 damage, so the temp HP absorbs it all), do you have to make a concentration saving throw for a spell you are concentrating on? What is the DC? Where can I find this covered RAW?

Do you take 0 damage so there is no save required? Do you "take" 24 damage but your actual HP is unchanged so there is a 12 DC con save?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find it. Thanks.

16. - Top - End - #736

EvilClericGuy

A304: Damage that is absorbed by temporary hit points is still damage. Temporary hit points therefore have no effect on the save DC for the second bullet point for concentration; the DC will be 10 or half the damage you have taken, whichever is more.

Temporary hit points can stil help you with the third bullet point (incapacitation) by allowing your character to survive a hit that would have otherwise depleted all of their hit points.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Re: 304:
    On the other hand, note that an abjuration wizard's Arcane Ward is not temporary HP; it's something that takes damage instead of you. If you take damage and your ward is enough to eat all of it, you never took damage at all, and so don't need to make a concentration save.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 305

Not really a RAW question, but it didn't seem worth its own thread.

Did Tasha (or some other book) ever implement Dragonmarked races to settings other than Eberron?

19. - Top - End - #739

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 305

Did Tasha (or some other book) ever implement Dragonmarked races to settings other than Eberron?
    A305 Not so far.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2022-01-06 at 03:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 305

Re:305

No, because dragonmarks are (in theory) *exclusive* to Eberron due to being marks from the Draconic Prophecy placed on the flesh of mortals.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 306

How big a thing can you put in a bag of holding? The description states "2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep" and also "a volume of 64 cubic feet." I assume this means the interior space is 4x4x4' cube but the mouth / hole is smaller (2' diameter) so anything that fits in there and can fit through the 1' radius hole in the top and doesn't exceed the weight limit is fair game? A 4' cube has a long diagonal of ~ 6'9" and the opening has a circumference of like 75" ...

So one good sized (dead) human in plate with their 2 war hammers should fit just fine, right?

Bag of Holding
    This bag has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions, roughly 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep. The bag can hold up to 500 pounds, not exceeding a volume of 64 cubic feet. The bag weighs 15 pounds, regardless of its Contents. Retrieving an item from the bag requires an action.

If the bag is overloaded, pierced, or torn, it ruptures and is destroyed, and its Contents are scattered in the Astral Plane. If the bag is turned inside out, its Contents spill forth, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again. Breathing Creatures inside the bag can survive up to a number of minutes equal to 10 divided by the number of Creatures (minimum 1 minute), after which time they begin to suffocate.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 307

Do AoEs, auras, and such require line of sight if the effect does not include a statement like 'a creature you can see'?

Do these sorts of effects go around cover (like Fireball) or is their spread limited to a straight line? (especially for areas that are centered on you and last many turns)

For example - spirit guardians: Does it work in heavily obscured areas? Does it wrap around corners so you can be on the other side of a wall? Does it need a door way to wrap around or does it go through a wall?

Similarly - twilight sanctuary, a paladin's aura, etc - does a simple fog cloud stop these?

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q 307

Do AoEs, auras, and such require line of sight if the effect does not include a statement like 'a creature you can see'?

Do these sorts of effects go around cover (like Fireball) or is their spread limited to a straight line? (especially for areas that are centered on you and last many turns)

For example - spirit guardians: Does it work in heavily obscured areas? Does it wrap around corners so you can be on the other side of a wall? Does it need a door way to wrap around or does it go through a wall?

Similarly - twilight sanctuary, a paladin's aura, etc - does a simple fog cloud stop these?
    A307 Line of sight is only required if it says it does. Line of effect (properly "clear path to target") is a general rule and applies unless it says it doesn't. At least for spells. Other magical effects...meh. I've always considered line of effect to be required for everything, since you can't target something behind full cover, and "behind full cover" and "no line of effect" have extremely heavy, if not total overlap.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

A306

The 4-foot measurement is the exterior dimension of the bag. Flattened, the bag would look like a 2'x4' rectangle.

The only measurement given for the interior is 64 cubic feet. The exact dimensions are undefined. As long as the object can fit through a 2'-wide circular opening and doesn't take up more than 64 square feet in volume, the rules are silent on whether it fits.

Powers &8^]

25. - Top - End - #745

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 306 How big a thing can you put in a bag of holding? The description states "2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep" and also "a volume of 64 cubic feet." I assume this means the interior space is 4x4x4' cube but the mouth / hole is smaller (2' diameter) so anything that fits in there and can fit through the 1' radius hole in the top and doesn't exceed the weight limit is fair game? A 4' cube has a long diagonal of ~ 6'9" and the opening has a circumference of like 75" ...

So one good sized (dead) human in plate with their 2 war hammers should fit just fine, right?

Bag of Holding
    This bag has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions, roughly 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep. The bag can hold up to 500 pounds, not exceeding a volume of 64 cubic feet. The bag weighs 15 pounds, regardless of its Contents. Retrieving an item from the bag requires an action.

If the bag is overloaded, pierced, or torn, it ruptures and is destroyed, and its Contents are scattered in the Astral Plane. If the bag is turned inside out, its Contents spill forth, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again. Breathing Creatures inside the bag can survive up to a number of minutes equal to 10 divided by the number of Creatures (minimum 1 minute), after which time they begin to suffocate.
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A306
    The 4-foot measurement is the exterior dimension of the bag. Flattened, the bag would look like a 2'x4' rectangle.

The only measurement given for the interior is 64 cubic feet. The exact dimensions are undefined. As long as the object can fit through a 2'-wide circular opening and doesn't take up more than 64 square feet in volume, the rules are silent on whether it fits.
    A306
    Note: the wording is ambiguous RAW whether the 2 foot diameter and 4 feet deep are the inside or the outside of the bag, as both the inside and outside are referenced in the same sentence. That sentence can reasonably be interpreted either way. Additionally, "4 feet deep" is not usually referring to an outside dimension, but inside (hence "deep") but I acknowledge that "depth" can refer to an outside dimension sometimes. Thus ambiguous.

I will not debate further in the RAW thread, and if further debate is desired a new thread should be started, but IMO it is not RAW that the outside is 2x4 and the inside is ambiguous beyond the volume. IMO no RAW answer exists.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm good with the understanding that a 2' diameter circle does not equal a flattened 2' wide bag (CIRCUMFERENCE = 2*pi*R so a flattened 2' diameter circle would be ~ 37" across)..
    Last edited by da newt; 2022-02-27 at 12:20 AM. Reason: embarrassingly changed to correct term

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Re 306:

...but IMO it is not RAW that the outside is 2x4 and the inside is ambiguous beyond the volume. IMO no RAW answer exists.
    I'm not sure I see the distinction between "ambiguous" and "no answer exists".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm good with the understanding that a 2' diameter circle does not equal a flattened 2' wide bag (radius = 2*pi*R so a flattened 2' diameter circle would be ~ 37" across)..
    My geometry teachers would be embarrassed. As am I.

Powers &8^]

29. - Top - End - #749
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q308
    If I use Alarm (on mental ping) as a ritual and have more than 1 casting of it up (for example, on a door and a window no where near each other) and someone comes in through the window, do I know that it was the window they entered through? Or do I just get a ping that one of them was triggered?
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-01-06 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Edit Q307 to Q308

30. - Top - End - #750

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiVeil View Post
    Q308
    If I use Alarm (on mental ping) as a ritual and have more than 1 casting of it up (for example, on a door and a window no where near each other) and someone comes in through the window, do I know that it was the window they entered through? Or do I just get a ping that one of them was triggered?
    A308 There's no provision in the spell for different sounds, and generally speaking spells do exactly what they say, nothing more, nothing less. So the easiest answer is that you wouldn't know which alarm was triggered, only that one was.

Having different pings for each cast or having you inherently know which is which because you're the caster or whatever is solidly within the realm of "ask your DM".
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-01-06 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Edit Q307 and A307 to Q308 and A308