New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q176: Is there an established order of effect for multiplication/division VS addition/subtraction for things like damage reduction?

Case in point, a Level 4 monk with the stoneskin spell and slowfall ability drops from a height of 80ft onto another creature that fails its dex save. There are 3 mitigating factors in this scenario.

A. The Monk takes half falling damage due to landing onto a creature
    B. The Monk has resistance to the damage due to stoneskin
    C. The Monk reduces the falling damage taken by 20 points due to slow fall.
    A176: "Resistance and then vulnerability are applied after all other modifiers to damage." (PHB p.197)
    In this case, the monk falls 80 ft, incurring 8d6 bludgeoning damage. He uses his reaction to fall slowly, reducing the damage by 20. Let's assume an average roll of 28 for 8d6, then subtract the 20 for 8 bludgeoning damage. I am unfamiliar with any rule that splits damage when falling on another creature, but let's apply that here, giving 4 bludgeoning damage each to the monk and, say, his fighter buddy, who tried to catch him. The fighter fails a DC 15 Dex save (Edit: I have been told this is found on TCE p.170) and takes 4 bludgeoning damage. The monk has resistance to his 4, so he takes a total of 2 bludgeoning damage from the fall.
    The timing of Slow Fall is easy: that damage reduction happens whenever the monk's reaction occurs. The house rule about splitting damage would kick in next, leaving resistance (or vulnerability) for last.
    Last edited by Narbaculus; 2020-12-18 at 01:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    Q177
    If I am on another plane of existence and am affected by the Banishment spell it returns me to my homeplane. If the spell is interrupted while the caster in concentrating I pop back to where I was, or the nearest unoccupied spot, on the plane I was banished from.

Can I cast dispell magic on myself to end the effects of Banishment while on my home plane?

If I can do I stay where I am? I have dispelled the magical effect that would have returned me. (I'm 99% sure this isn't the case but just want to clarify)
    Or do I pop back where I was, or the nearest unoccupied space. (I'm equally sure that this would be the case, but again I'm trying to clarify)
    A177: If Banishment "ends before 1 minute has passed, the target reappears in the space it left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied." (PHB p.217)
    In this case, casting Dispel Magic on yourself while in your home plane would end Banishment before 1 minute had passed, thus returning you to the space you left, or the nearest vacant one.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beezus View Post
    A176: "Resistance and then vulnerability are applied after all other modifiers to damage." (PHB p.197)
    In this case, the monk falls 80 ft, incurring 8d6 bludgeoning damage. He uses his reaction to fall slowly, reducing the damage by 20. Let's assume an average roll of 28 for 8d6, then subtract the 20 for 8 bludgeoning damage. I am unfamiliar with any rule that splits damage when falling on another creature, but let's apply that here, giving 4 bludgeoning damage each to the monk and, say, his fighter buddy, who tried to catch him. The fighter fails a Dex save (again, I don't know of this rule, but it sounds like that's what you're using) and takes 4 bludgeoning damage. The monk has resistance to his 4, so he takes a total of 2 bludgeoning damage from the fall.
    The timing of Slow Fall is easy: that damage reduction happens whenever the monk's reaction occurs. The house rule about splitting damage would kick in next, leaving resistance (or vulnerability) for last.
    The 'house rule' is on pg 170 of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

It states "any damage resulting from the fall is divided evenly between them".

So the enemy would also take 4 bludgeoning damage.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dreast View Post
    Cast at level 3, as a level 9 ranger must, the fey spirit doesn’t have more than one attack anyway. So he ignores the multi attack and instead takes an attack action to make a single attack with his shortsword. The question stands: after using the attack action with its shortsword, what does the offhand attack look like?
    R175 It looks like a regular offhand attack. Bonus action, attack with shortsword, don't add the ability modifier to damage on hit.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2020-12-18 at 08:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Jackal View Post
    R175 It looks like a regular offhand attack. Bonus action, attack with shortsword, don't add the ability modifier to damage on hit.
    So, PB + 3 (Dex) to hit, 1d6 damage for a basic shortsword?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q178

A spellcaster casts blur. Does an Earth Elemental have disadvantage to attack it? Tremorsense: "A monster with tremorsense can detect and pinpoint the origin of vibrations within a specific radius<...>". Does this count for the Blur clause "An attacker is immune to this effect if it doesn't rely on sight, as with blindsight<...>"? Also, same question for mirror image and same question if the earth elemental is blind.
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

7. - Top - End - #457

Griffon

A178
    Yes, the Earth Elemental may ignore the effects of Blur. Tremorsense is not sight; regardless of whether the elemental can also see, if it detects the spellcaster with tremorsense, it does not "rely on sight" to do so.

8. - Top - End - #458

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q178 A rogue gets sneak attack damage if they don't have disadvantage. If their disadvantage is canceled by advantage, do they get their sneak attack damage? Or does the fact that there is disadvantage in the mix cancel it, regardless of whether they rolled without disadvantage?

9. - Top - End - #459

Griffon

A179
    A rogue can make a Sneak Attack "if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll." (PHB p.96) "If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them," (p.173) so a rogue with both advantage and disadvantage on an attack roll, along with the other criteria for Sneak Attack, would get your sneak attack damage.
    Last edited by Narbaculus; 2020-12-21 at 12:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 180

In the event of a creature being subject to two simultaneous antithetical effects of forced movement, do they move?

Example, a Warlock hits a creature with an Eldritch blast while invoking both the Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar. While the target will end up in the spot they started, do they count as moving 20ft?

Could this be used to push and pull a creature through a Wall of Fire twice for example? Or deal 8d4 damage via the Spike Growth spell?

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Q181
    In the spell Mislead, "You become invisible at the same time that an illusory double of you appears where you are standing." What happens if you are already invisible? Does your duplicate 'appear' while invisible?

Q182
    In the spell Mislead:
    a) there is no limit listed on distance traveled from the caster
    b) nor is there a way to destroy the illusion (other than Dispel Magic etc. which would work on any spell; compare to Project Illusion, which specifies any damage [presumably area damage only?] ends the spell)
    c) as an illusion, you cannot interact physically with it. If you open a door through it, the door swings unimpeded

Because it can walk forever, cannot be damaged, and cannot be impeded by physical objects, does this suggest you can stroll endlessly through a dungeon like a tourist ghost until someone dispels your image?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

12. - Top - End - #462
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q183

Poison use.

I note PHB states a PC can apply poison to a blade or 3 missiles and this takes an action

Is there an ability check required for this and if so what is the DC ?

Does being a Rogue/Assassin or proficient in Poison use affect this ?

Am i correct in thinking the whole ''poison'' area of 5E is pretty vague ?

Is there more info anywhere ?

Many Thanks in advance

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

A183
    You are correct, the whole poison thing is really vague. The optional rules in Xanathar's Guide state proficiency with a poisoner's kit means you do not risk exposing yourself to a poison as you manipulate it, which is great! But there are no rules for exposing yourself to poison in 5e, so... YMMV.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

14. - Top - End - #464
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q184
    The Mind spike spell duration is listed as "Concentration, up to 1 hour", and I always assumed that this part only refers to the knowledge about the target position, and its inability to hide. It does NOT imply that the spell requires save vs 3d8 psychic damage per each turn I am concentrating, right?

In other words, the spell requires save vs damage once and then, on a failed save, the concentration-lasting rider kicks in, correct?
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2020-12-23 at 09:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Q181
    In the spell Mislead, "You become invisible at the same time that an illusory double of you appears where you are standing." What happens if you are already invisible? Does your duplicate 'appear' while invisible?

Q182
    In the spell Mislead:
    a) there is no limit listed on distance traveled from the caster
    b) nor is there a way to destroy the illusion (other than Dispel Magic etc. which would work on any spell; compare to Project Illusion, which specifies any damage [presumably area damage only?] ends the spell)
    c) as an illusion, you cannot interact physically with it. If you open a door through it, the door swings unimpeded

Because it can walk forever, cannot be damaged, and cannot be impeded by physical objects, does this suggest you can stroll endlessly through a dungeon like a tourist ghost until someone dispels your image?
    A182

For up to an hour as long as you Concentrate on it, yes.

I do not know the answer to Q181; I believe it vague enough to call for a DM ruling. Ask your DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Q184
    The Mind spike spell duration is listed as "Concentration, up to 1 hour", and I always assumed that this part only refers to the knowledge about the target position, and its inability to hide. It does NOT imply that the spell requires save vs 3d8 psychic damage per each turn I am concentrating, right?

In other words, the spell requires save vs damage once and then, on a failed save, the concentration-lasting rider kicks in, correct?
    A184

Correct. It doesn’t say the damage repeats, so it doesn’t repeat.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    A183
    You are correct, the whole poison thing is really vague. The optional rules in Xanathar's Guide state proficiency with a poisoner's kit means you do not risk exposing yourself to a poison as you manipulate it, which is great! But there are no rules for exposing yourself to poison in 5e, so... YMMV.
    I note PHB states a PC can apply poison to a blade or 3 missiles and this takes an action

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

A183 pt 2

You are correct, the whole poison thing is really vague. Ask your DM, there are no clear rules on this.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2020-12-23 at 06:48 PM.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kracky View Post

R183

No, there is no ability check required for this.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-12-24 at 08:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Q185: I'm knew to 5th edition. is there any way to reduce or remove the Disadvantage penalty when throwing Javelins beyond 30ft?

so far finding myself fighting long-range in wide open spaces.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #470

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Q185: I'm knew to 5th edition. is there any way to reduce or remove the Disadvantage penalty when throwing Javelins beyond 30ft?

so far finding myself fighting long-range in wide open spaces.
    A185

Sharpshooter feat. Removes long range penalties from all ranged attacks.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    A185

Sharpshooter feat. Removes long range penalties from all ranged attacks.
    R185

Sharpshooter specifically refers to "ranged weapon attacks", so this isn't accurate.

For one, it doesn't apply to ranged spell attacks for certain.

Whether it applies to [ranged] [weapon attacks], which might cover thrown attacks, or to [ranged weapon] [attacks], which would only cover attacks made with ranged weapons, isn't completely clear - however I note that the very first line of the feat is "You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible."

If you want to check whether Sharpshooter will apply to thrown attacks, you will need to have this conversation with your DM, I think.

Another answer to Q185 is:

Yes, anything that grants you Advantage will cancel out the Disadvantage from long range. PHB p173.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Whether it applies to [ranged] [weapon attacks], which might cover thrown attacks, or to [ranged weapon] [attacks], which would only cover attacks made with ranged weapons, isn't completely clear
    R185

Normally when they mean the latter, they say "attacks with a ranged weapon". We can thus infer that they mean the former.

Powers &8^]

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

R185 i've already suggested the Sharpshooter feat to my DM. It won't work, as the Javelin, despite it's ability to be thrown, is a melee weapon, not a ranged weapon.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    R185 i've already suggested the Sharpshooter feat to my DM. It won't work, as the Javelin, despite it's ability to be thrown, is a melee weapon, not a ranged weapon.
    You could try to argue that it doesn’t say “an attack with a ranged weapon,” so any weapon attack that is ranged applies. If he still won’t let that fly, then the best you can do is get advantage on the attack to negate the disadvantage. At least, without home brew.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 186

Can an Aberrant Soul Sorcerer use their 6th level ability to upcast versions of their spells? Could they spend 2 sorcery points to cast a level 2 arms of Hadar?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 187

In combat, the beast acts during your turn. It can move and use its reaction on its own, but the only action it takes is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.
    The use of also in that statement lends me to believe that you could make your beast attack twice? Is that the case? In terms of the action economy, you’re not sacrificing that much on a micro scale since you’re just swapping one attack for another. At least until lv11.
    Last edited by Dualswinger; 2020-12-27 at 05:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q. 186

Can an Aberrant Soul Sorcerer use their 6th level ability to upcast versions of their spells? Could they spend 2 sorcery points to cast a level 2 arms of Hadar?
    A 186
    The "At Higher Levels" section of a spell's description will always say "When you cast this spell using a spell slot of X level or higher". When you use Psionic Sorcery you aren't casting with a spell slot, so the spell can only be cast at its base level.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2020-12-28 at 05:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q.188

If a character with a Dragonmark multiclasses spellcasting classes, such as 2 levels in druid and 3 levels cleric, could they cast their racial 3rd level spell?

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q189

"Ranged Attacks in Close Combat
    Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe is next to you. When you make a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn't incapacitated."

Does the above only apply if the target of the attack is within 5' of the attacker, OR does it apply if ANY hostile creature is within 5' of the attacker?

(I read it as the 2nd, but others disagree)

30. - Top - End - #480

A189 The second. If you've got anyone in your face, you get disadvantage.