New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default A Better Name for DUELING?

Google "dueling 5e," and the problem becomes obvious: when people hear the name Dueling, they think of a fencer with a rapier and an empty off-hand. "Can I use Dueling with a shield?" and "Can I use Dueling when throwing a weapon?" would not be such recurrent confusions if we gave it a better name (nb: the answer to both is "yes," confirmed by Crawford).

I can empathize with the game designers, though, because I can't come up with a better name myself.

To fit the writing style, the name needs to be a noun, and needs to reasonably fit into the phrase, "X (Fighting) Style." Archery is a good example: it's a noun, and "Archery Fighting Style" is coherent. As for "Great Weapon Fighting Fighting Style" or "Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style," well, ok, we can drop the redundant "Fighting" verbiage and we're good to go.

Hive mind, what say you?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: A Better Name for DUELING?

Quote Originally Posted by DrFunkenstein View Post
    Google "dueling 5e," and the problem becomes obvious: when people hear the name Dueling, they think of a fencer with a rapier and an empty off-hand. "Can I use Dueling with a shield?" and "Can I use Dueling when throwing a weapon?" would not be such recurrent confusions if we gave it a better name (nb: the answer to both is "yes," confirmed by Crawford).

I can empathize with the game designers, though, because I can't come up with a better name myself.

To fit the writing style, the name needs to be a noun, and needs to reasonably fit into the phrase, "X (Fighting) Style." Archery is a good example: it's a noun, and "Archery Fighting Style" is coherent. As for "Great Weapon Fighting Fighting Style" or "Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style," well, ok, we can drop the redundant "Fighting" verbiage and we're good to go.

Hive mind, what say you?
    One handed style is simple and to the point.

Singleton style maybe.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Single Weapon Fighting/Style
    Last edited by elyktsorb; 2020-05-09 at 02:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Google "dueling 5e," and the problem becomes obvious: when people hear the name Dueling, they think of a fencer with a rapier and an empty off-hand.
    No we don't.

It's pistols at 10 paces, at dawn.

Or it's a children's card game ... on motorcycles.

Hive mind, what say you?
    Hand Weapon Fighting Style

Sidearm Fighting Style

Adaptive Fighting Style

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sword and Shield Fighting Style.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    Single Weapon Fighting/Style
    I considered it, but a greatsword is a single weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhisper View Post
    One handed style is simple and to the point.
    I considered it, but if you're using your other hand for a shield, is it really one-handed? I'm concerned this leads to the same confusion.
    Last edited by DrFunkenstein; 2020-05-09 at 03:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGirl

I considered it, but a greatsword is a single weapon...
    One Handed Weapon Style

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Swings in the opposite direction, methinks: although most with a one-handed weapon and a Fighting Style will run it as sword-and-board, it's still usable if you're running sword + free hand. A grappler or certain multiclassing spellcasters, as examples. And of course, it's not strictly limited to swords.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

One Handed Weapon Style
    This might work. It's better than One Handed Fighting, since you are making it clear only the weapon is one-handed, not the fighting style in toto.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Einhander fighting style.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Definitely not. The style works even if you aren't using a sword OR shield, so this is pretty confusing.

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGirl

This might work. It's better than One Handed Fighting, since you are making it clear only the weapon is one-handed, not the fighting style in toto.
    It also makes it clear that it should work with weapons that can be used with 2 hands, but only in the 1 handed mode.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Definitely not. The style works even if you aren't using a sword OR shield, so this is pretty confusing.
    Not really. Dueling with a weapon and having an empty hand doesn't make sense and also was very rare historically. Even a empty tankard is better than nothing as a way of preventing getting stabbed.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It also makes it clear that it should work with weapons that can be used with 2 hands, but only in the 1 handed mode.
    True.

Here's the one catch: when you are fighting with two weapons, you are fighting with two one-handed weapons, which could introduce some ambiguity. So far, yours is the best suggestion, though I'm still open to a name that is even more clearly focused on using a single one-handed weapon.

15. - Top - End - #15

DruidGirl

True.

Here's the one catch: when you are fighting with two weapons, you are fighting with two one-handed weapons, which could introduce some ambiguity. So far, yours is the best suggestion, though I'm still open to a name that is even more clearly focused on using a single one-handed weapon.
    to be fair the fact that one style is called 'two weapon fighting' should prevent the confusion. One handed fighting is for fighting with one, one handed weapon. Two weapon fighting is for fighting with, two weapons, that can't require 2 hands per weapon because there are no playable races with four arms.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Not really. Dueling with a weapon and having an empty hand doesn't make sense and also was very rare historically. Even a empty tankard is better than nothing as a way of preventing getting stabbed.
    I think we can sidestep the historical subject here: regardless of viability in real-life, D&D 5e deliberately supports one-handed–weapon + no-shield as a build choice -- and indeed, the Dueling FS is part of that support. (I think there's a reason there's a separate FS taking advantage of shields, albeit it's not the most optimal pick out there.) Having a free hand, while often a pretty good trade for +2 AC, can have a lot of mechanical impact (e.g. item/environment use, grappling, spellcasting).

So it'd be inappropriate to give it a name that suggests it relies on shield-use, or is otherwise just intended for players who use them.
    Last edited by Lavaeolus; 2020-05-09 at 03:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

to be fair the fact that one style is called 'two weapon fighting' should prevent the confusion. One handed fighting is for fighting with one, one handed weapon. Two weapon fighting is for fighting with, two weapons, that can't require 2 hands per weapon because there are no playable races with four arms.
    Also true. It would be nice to have a name that stands alone without needing other style names to clarify, but as of yet, neither I nor anyone else seems able to think of one.

Oh, here it is: One2 Handed Weapon Fighting Style! (joking)
    Last edited by DrFunkenstein; 2020-05-09 at 03:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaeolus View Post
    I think we can sidestep the historical subject here: regardless of viability in real-life, D&D 5e deliberately supports one-handed–weapon + no-shield as a build choice -- and indeed, the Dueling FS is part of that support. (I think there's a reason there's a separate FS taking advantage of shields, albeit it's not the most optimal pick out there.) Having a free hand, while often a pretty good trade for +2 AC, can have a lot of mechanical impact (e.g. item/environment use, grappling, spellcasting).

So it'd be inappropriate to give it a name that suggests it relies on shield-use, or is otherwise just intended for players who use them.
    Aye it's a very popular fantasy just pointing out duelist not requiring an open hand makes it more open for other forms of duelist than just the one.

Duelist is the general offense focused FS where defense is the general mitigation FS. Protection is pretty bad and why they decided that it needed a shield is beyond me.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    The correct definition of dueling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

How about going for German?

“Einhander”

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    The correct definition of dueling.
    Must be a joke there I don’t get.

Not a new concept, I miss a lot of jokes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    How about going for German?

“Einhander”
    Kane0 beat you to the punch.

I'd say dueling is actually the best name. Just because people have this odd notion of duels being with rapiers because of the three musketeers does not mean it's less accurate. I can see any number of dumb questions popping up with the other names as well.
    Last edited by WaroftheCrans; 2020-05-09 at 05:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WaroftheCrans View Post

I'd say dueling is actually the best name. Just because people have this odd notion of duels being with rapiers because of the three musketeers does not mean it's less accurate. I can see any number of dumb questions popping up with the other names as well.
    I'm not sure its an "odd notion" of dueling. My paper back dictionary defines a duel as "a combat between two persons, pre-arranged and fought under fixed conditions, generally on an affair of honour" and google has something similar "a contest with deadly weapons arranged between two people in order to settle a point of honour."

Granted neither of those mention rapiers and an empty offhand explicitly, but it certainly conjures that image with the emphasis on honourable combat between two people. (Which apparantly can be persons? I never knew that)
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Those kinds of connotations are their own burden though, which is what is being discussed.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Swings in the opposite direction, methinks: although most with a one-handed weapon and a Fighting Style will run it as sword-and-board, it's still usable if you're running sword + free hand. A grappler or certain multiclassing spellcasters, as examples. And of course, it's not strictly limited to swords.
    "Sword and Shield Style" may not be technically accurate, but it exactly describes how it is used in 99% of all cases. So it'll be far from confusion. As opposed to now, where the 1% that use it with an empty other hand pick it, and many S&S players don't realize it is (apparently) fully intended to work for them.

In addition, it makes clear that there's no reason for it to be written/intended this way. There already is a style for Shields, and Dueling is encroaching. No other style does that.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

OK folks, I've got my own personal favorite -

Figthing Style: Classic. 'Nuff said.

"Sword and Shield Style" may not be technically accurate, but it exactly describes how it is used in 99% of all cases. So it'll be far from confusion. As opposed to now, where the 1% that use it with an empty other hand pick it, and many S&S players don't realize it is (apparently) fully intended to work for them.

In addition, it makes clear that there's no reason for it to be written/intended this way. There already is a style for Shields, and Dueling is encroaching. No other style does that.
    Maybe for you, but not at for all. Axes? Warhammers? Thrown weapons?

Agreed.

Mostly agreed, though I’ve come up with one that I like better: Classic Fighting Style ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Those kinds of connotations are their own burden though, which is what is being discussed.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    No we don't.

It's pistols at 10 paces, at dawn.

Lolz.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

How about Swashbuckler Style?

It still conjures the idea of a one-handed weapon user. And since it actual has buckler in the name it implies the use of a shield.

Though I kinda think the easiest solution is just putting this line in the text: *shields are not considered weapons.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2020-05-09 at 09:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe for you, but not at for all. Axes? Warhammers? Thrown weapons?
    Oh I see. Sorry I'm so used to gamer-speak. You are correct, technically I should have said:
    One-Handed & Shield Style

My point was the way it's written and named is as if it's supposed to be focusing on a weapon in one hand and empty other hand. But the actuality is once you carefully parse the language of the rule and read the SAC, turns out in use by those "in the know" it is almost completely used as a shield fighting style. And supposedly, despite it not being immediately clear from the name or the wording of the rule, this is intentional.

Edit: Obviously from your OP you get this point I just finished 'splaining. /sigh and
    Point is it's the "& Shield" part of my suggested rename that matters.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Must be a joke there I don’t get.

Not a new concept, I miss a lot of jokes.
    It's a reference to Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    How about Swashbuckler Style?

It still conjures the idea of a one-handed weapon user. And since it actual has buckler in the name it implies the use of a shield.

Though I kinda think the easiest solution is just putting this line in the text: *shields are not considered weapons.
    OOOooo...

Swashbuckling, ironically, conveys BOTH of the desired connotations of Dueling:

When I hear "Swashbuckling," I first think of pirates or Alexandre Dumas-types wielding a sabre, cutlass or rapier in one hand and nothing in the other. That is in keeping with the "Dueling" connotation that so many people have as commented upon previously.

AND YET!

As you point out, swashbuckling as originally constructed as a word DENOTES using a shield!

It's literally both! We may have a winner here, folks, for my table at least.

Alas, D&D has already created a "Swashbuckler," so WotC is unlikely to pick it up.

Second Place goes to Classic, and Third Place goes to One Handed Weapon Fighting.

Also, I completely agree that if you want to make it more clear, explicitly stating shields are cool in the description is a good way to do it.