New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~7 hours?)
    Concentrating: --

"Suggestions? A few. Thoughts, a lot more." She holds out a hand and calls an image of Arano. "The elf, I'm guessing this was him?" She doesn't comment on Renn's response, either confirmation or denial, beyond a short "I see" but once she receives it she morphs the spell, summoning the images of Countess Edana first, and then the face Lady Dox had on their last encounter. "And the human, either of these look familiar?" If it was Dox then she'd probably have chosen a new face, but it didn't hurt to check. Some changelings were rather attached to certain personas. Dox swapped often but if she was hunting Arano maybe she wanted him to see a familiar one. That would be like her.

She didn't want to offer more information to Renn specifically - no sense giving her tips for free. "We know Kasimir's trail was followed into Four Kings and now we know which manor exactly was getting scoped. We could do with a coin injection -" she taps the staff slung across her back "- and then find our way into the party. If security's as tight as our friend says, then the front door is probably the best option, which means invitations." She perks her eyes over at Ambassador Gryphon. "If this soiree is as described anyone who's anyone will be there." She adds pointedly. "But this is a rather public location to be discussing it."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris chokes on half baked offers of a few free meals and possibly a bath as Kett comes flying in with a story that had gripped the continent when news hit of the incredible murder. This chick was crazy!

'So when i said you should come clean to your compatriots about your true nature... scratch that. If this crazy assassin finds out you're a changeling infiltrator then she will kill you in a second. Maybe wait to let that truth out when she's restrained by something... like a Wall of Force or Geas.'

Hmmm probably a good idea. If she was an assassin good enough to be hired on a high profile job like that then she had to be associated with either House Phiarlan or Thuranni. Which in turn made this whole story even more interesting. He wouldn't take anything at face value, as much as he wanted to believe the amazing story, but given she was up against a Thuranni agent it meant that she was either House Phiarlan or flipped around the allegiances in her story and she was Thuranni but trying to cover her tracks. Or maybe that agent and her were from the same house but were hired while not aware of each other. Either way odds were she was associated with one of them. She couldn't be a born member obviously with the lack of elf features but she had shadow abilities and was apparently a competent spy/assassin. Maybe a contractor the house had that they tapped to hunt the ex-Phiarlan Agent.

'You won't be able to puzzle it out yet. Make your notes. Build the information and then make your move.'

It was good advice. He didn't know enough but his response would swift when he found out.

He puts the dilemma out of his mind for now and focuses on what the halfling was saying. Now that was interesting! A noble house, a spy master, an important artifact, and a party with expert security. This was what he had been hoping for. He needed some practice at infiltration anyway. His lips quirk, "Well that sounds like a delightful way to spend the night. I'm sure we can find a secure place to discuss our plans moving forward."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, that looks sorta like the elf," Renn replies when asked about Arano, before making a half-shrug. "Maybe. The eyes and hair were different, but it could have been a disguise." When presented with the confronted with the illusory depictions of Countess Edana and Lady Dox's favorite faces, the halfling goes to shake her head - and stops herself. "Well the woman definitely didn't look like either of those, but you got the dead-eyed stare right on with that second image. Met enough killers to know one when I see one."

Renn doesn't stick around for very long; once it's clear that you intend to leave, she settles up her tab and slides away, giving you a mocking salute on her way out the door. She doesn't look back.

After conferring amongst yourselves, you decide to return to Jhory's Reprieve where you can plan away from prying eyes and ears. The journey back across the docks is uneventful enough - the cloud cover breaks for just the barest moment, letting a few grasping patches of blue be seen before they're swallowed again - and you arrive back at Kleris' new property when the pale sun has just about reached its summit. Within, the staff are still cleaning and setting up tables, and as you find the same table you're given the same privacy as earlier.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Okay." Kett begins now that they're all 'safe', or at least as safe as safe gets. She talks quickly, but not rushed. "A normal scope would be at least a week long, but we're short on time, so lets shoot ideas as they come to you. Anything you can think of, any suggestions, now's the time." She pauses for only a moment. She'd open, of course. "Gryphon, Arimart, any chance your respective names could get an invite for yourselves? If Kleris and I end up as 'plus ones' that's fine, but we can't rely on it as our only 'in'. Parties mean food and drink, and the richer they are the fresher they want it, so caterers and servants are likely to be coming and going constantly, and they'll have additional staff over their normal sets. If we can't snag invites, replacing some of the staff and then switching into party clothes is an alternative. Speaking of clothes I, at least, will need to go shopping." She hadn't exactly brought along a suitable dress with her. Not the sort of thing you drag across the continent hunting for your husband. She had a few of course, usually bought a new one whenever she did end up crashing a party, but they were far far away.

"Funds may be an issue, we've got a few things we took that we could sell off." She gestures again to her 'acquired' staff, and briefly summons the image of the brooch that was reclaimed from Maugrim after their 'questioning'. "Any other thoughts? Ideas? Alternate routes?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris returns to the table they had set aside with another round of drinks for the group. This seemed like a problem that could benefit from an ale or two. He slumps down in his chair and strokes his chin, thinking.

'Just tell them, it could be helpful.

His eye twitches but he knows that his apostate self was correct, he clears his throat "Well I do have a contact who could maybe help. You guys remember Clerven?The Midnighter? Well I got in contact with him last night to offload some gear and smooth over some ruffled feathers. I have a way to contact him and he could get us all forged papers and identities. We could try to take the place of a group going to the party? Maybe scope out invitees and find a group to replace. I have some skill at disguises and illusions, maybe with Gryphons help we could take a groups place?"

He shrugs then ponders another idea, he had been meaning to set up another persona. He had enough underworld contacts with Orlan and Kleris. Maybe it was time to try his hand at something a little... higher born. Father always said those were the hardest personas to keep going steadily but they paid more dividends for sure.

He starts slowly, mulling over the idea "We could get a... patsy or high class contact who needs what we can offer. Work to build them up as someone who should be at the party and try to secure an invite? Someone fresh in town who has an excuse to have not been considered before."

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Back at Kleris newfound Reprieve, Arimart listens to the others, while trying to come up with a plan.

As Kleris propose disguises, the paladin intervenes, explaining his considerations.

"Money won't be a problem, but I don't think that taking the place of others invitees is a good idea. For as much as we know, this Kasimir may be the mind behind what happened in the last days, and do not forget that we've been observed for longer than expected, as the leaflets with our summary descriptions were proof of. I'm pretty sure me or Gryphon could easily obtain an invitation... I am a respected prosecutor with ties both in Breland and Thrane, while you can be sure that everyone who counts in this city will want to meet the young Khoravar who left the Tribunal almost speechless," as he says it he winks approvingly at Gryphon, turning back to look at Kleris and Kett

"As for you Kleris, as a fellow Khoravar it shouldn't be difficult to add an invitation you, it's a thing we usually do in social events, as you surely know. To be honest, I find it most difficult for you, miss Kett, there's at least one people who knows you and will probably be at that place, therefore a disguise may not be the wisest choice, and I'm not feeling comfortably enough to let you sneak in undetected... If only Raz was still there, maybe the two of you would stand a chance, but going alone doesn't seem an advisable course of action."
    Part of Arimart is honestly worried about letting Kett go alone, but another part of him just wants to keep his eyes on her, since he's finding the woman more and more dangerous as the day goes by.
    "Maybe we could just go forward and see what happens... but I'd like some planning in advance."
    Does this poster have a sign?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon rolls his forked tongue across the back of his teeth as he slogs through the information being sloshed around. He stays uncharacteristically quiet on the trek back to The Reprieve, lost deeply in his thoughts. This party sounds like the perfect opportunity to make a deeper impact on Throneport’s high society, but if we’re going Arano-hunting then the focus needs to be there rather than upon being social. If I am at such a widely publicized social event, and we do end up stuffing the elf in a sack, then the social fallout from kidnapping someone could be career ending.

When the quartet sink back into their usual spot at The Reprieve and party-crashing-plans start to chug along, Gryphon finally chimes in.

Thank you for the recognition, Prosecutor; I believe you are correct that it would be a fairly trifling matter for either of the two of us to acquire invitations, and a Khorovar extension to Sir Kleris doesn’t seem unreasonable either. Madam Kett, no doubt, could even pose as a valet for one of the three of us, and so long as we pony up the Galifars for a tetra of plates than I believe entry won’t be our greatest hurdle in this operation.

You see, whether we gain entry overtly or covertly, the question is, what do we do once we are at the party? Do we mingle with the guests, all the while keeping our eyes peeled for Arano, and once we see him throw a bag over his head and teleport out? Do we glide about the estate invisibly scouring the party for the elf before we drag him bodily out of the soirée?

Madam Kett, with everything you know about Arano, will he be trying to infiltrate the party socially or through the shadows? If either Sir Kleris or I Suggested him to leave the party with us how susceptible would he be to that sort of mind trick? Or do you suspect that we’ll need to kill him and tuck his corpse into a bag of holding?
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

It was a fair question. What was the best play? "If Arano's been scoping for weeks then he'll have a way inside that doesn't include the front door, though that doesn't mean he won't be mingling. If this party is as big as indicated there'll be faces - like yours - that the host won't know, so he doesn't need to worry about being spotted once inside." She taps her fingers against a table, rapping the nails in a rapid four-beat rhythm. "If he's smart he'll expect everyone and anyone to murder him at the drop of a hat, so how much your spell works - if it can be cast without causing a scene - will probably depend on the spell. I'm no wizard, I couldn't tell you if it'll work or not." This part was, unfortunately, true. Too much studying, not enough practicality, for her liking. "Some of these richy-rich folk have sensors or scry...things that can detect non-approved spells," she continues, speaking from unfortunate experience, "No idea if this guy does, but it might be something we need to watch out for."

"Trying to find him among the guests, of which we know...probably none, maybe a few at most, could take a lot of time, especially if he's disguised." Her fingers keep tap-tap-tapping along. "No, Arano's following Kasivir's trail, and wouldn't sit around. He'll have made the link with the planar artifact disappearing Kasivir, and it's presumably up for grabs at the auction. Just speaking personally, I doubt I have the money to buy such a thing, unless Thronehold feels like footing the bill." She scoffs, as if she needs to. "We don't need to take the artifact, thankfully, just know where it is so we know where Arano will be." She finally holds up three fingers. "So there's three stages that I can see. Before the auction, during the auction, and after it. Beforehand, if we're being proactive we try to locate the artifact and get eyes on it. Don't need to take it, probably best not to try. If we've not settled matters by the time the auction starts then we watch from there, hope a familiar face takes an interest. He probably won't be able to buy it either, unless he's knocked over a few caravels of gold and jewels since last we tussled, but we'll be watching for who does buy it. After the auction, follow the buyer, who'll have the artifact with them. A quiet manse without extra security for a party is probably easier to steal from than somewhere on high alert for a clandestine auction, so Arano might just bide his time. Can't rely on that though, otherwise we'd be able to have an easy evening shmoozing with the rich and famous." She finishes with a wry smile.

"Thoughts? Other suggeestions? Anything I've missed?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon considers Kett’s response. So you believe that Arano is ultimately after the artifact? I was under the impression he was more assassin than thief.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart interjects in Gryphon's and Kett discussion "No, I don't think so, Phiarlans are usually more on the business of covert operations, but prefer to not get their hands dirty if they aren't forced to do it. If you want someone out for good you usually beseech Thuranni."

The paladin taps his left index on the table, while speaking "We could try both approaches: you two go undercover, maybe posing as our relatives of something similar," he says, looking at Kett and Kleris, "While I and Gryphon will use our identities. I think we could take invitations, and even propose a meeting with ir'Sencriss. He is the Thranish ambassador and, as I said, Gryphon is bound to be a source of gossiping." the prosecutor, while respecting the magistrates, don't have much hope in that part of the hearings remaining secret.

"I concur with madame Kett that magical disguises may end up doing us more ill than good."

Arimart moves his hand over his mouth, as if pondering some new idea.

"I could... I could try to take gather some information on the invitees and, especially, on the security measures. I can use Gryphon's presence as an excuse, if I 'sponsor' his presence I'll want to be sure that everything goes smoothly. It could help us on choosing the best course of action. Or, at least, the least terrible one."
    As he says the last phrase the Khoravar smiles, trying to ease the tension, he knows that what they are doing is barely legal, and he is aware of the risks he's taking. After all, he believes that this group can help him, as they already done, and he knows that helping others is often the best way to help oneself.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-01-10 at 10:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris sighs, its really hard to justify disguises when you can't be open that you are a changeling. Oh well though, a little inconvenience is worth the secrecy. It seemed that as a group people were leaning more towards the legitimate entry which seemed all right, he didn't really have any reputation to protect anyway. He listens to the others and shrugs "Well I can do mundane disguises as well if that is needed but I think you all underestimate how much the upper crust will be using minor illusions or magical aid in looking their finest. No one wants to look like they still have that last five pounds or a large spot on their face. Either way the skills I have would be best used in the party dealing with people rather then a daring physical infiltration into the bowels of the castle. This is your mission Kett so I trust you will place me to the best of my abilities and I'll work from there. If you need me to group up with everyone to get into the basement with my magics and armor then I can go there. "

He smiles and gives the others a nod, tossing a little notebook with a pencil onto the table "Well since it seems like we are going the legitimate route I'll go grab the various items at Pfennigans for everyone, you all just give me a list and I'll take care of the haggling. After that I'm going to go deal with the Midnighters to get us all a spare set of papers in case we need to try and avoid attention on the way out or something. If you guys just give me a description of what you want I'll jot it down and then produce an illusion for the picture they'll need. Even if it ends up not being needed for now its a useful piece of equipment. I'll come back this evening with the gear for everyone and we can check in again."
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-01-10 at 02:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"I think he's ultimately after Kasivir, and if a planar artifact spelled his absence then I'm guessing that's his next goal, if only to find out exactly what happened to him." Kett reasons out. "I doubt he's got any particular attachment to the item beyond the information it can give him, which is why our window is a bit narrow."

"Trying to get some one-on-one time with the host is a good plan if you can manage it." She nods at Arimart's suggestion. "If we can get him in a good mood, he might even get us access to the artifact to show off beforehand. Rich boys do love flaunting their toys."

She hands off the staff and brooch to Kleris, along with a small written note of what she's after - just a small thing to boost her fists, nothing major for the moment, before coming to what she hopes is a positive conclusion to the meeting.

"So to sum up - Gryphon, Arimart, working on getting invites legitimately. Kleris, sorting out some equipment for us beforehand and looking at alternate invite sources. I'll be buying myself a nice dress and then heading to the Four Kings to get an idea of layout, maybe chat up some locals, see what other information I can dig up or observe. The party's tomorrow evening and I expect my scopes will take me into the late night. Shall we agree to meet back here for another breakfast tomorrow morning with the results and go from there?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's it, then, tomorrow's breakfast is fine! Sir Gryphon, we can go to the Thrannish zone and see how we can buy our way in. Then I'll take a detour to discover who's in charge of the patrols in Solstice House. Best bets are to ask at Falstead, where the Thrannish guard barracks is located, or to meet with the higher-ups at Four Gates. I have superficial knowledge of some people, and my standing as a Silver Flame paladin opens many doors. Well..."
    He places his hands on the table, mantaining the relaxed tone of his last phrases.

"At least for a Brelish."

He looks around, then meets Kett's gaze.

"I'm fine with your plan, but let's be clear: you can do as you wish with your target, but for everyone else who will be involved, violence is a last resort."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

Capital! Gryphon exclaims pleasantly at Kett’s suggestion of reconvening the following morning. He removes a sheet of paper from his Bag of Holding and Prestidigitates a pen into his hand, before scrawling some notes on the paper, followed by passing it with a collection of coins to Kleris. Thank you for using your proclivity with deals to acquire us what we’ll need for our little outing tomorrow night, Sir Kleris. I’ll only be requiring the one item I’ve written down here for you.

The young wizard considers the paladin’s words. It does seem inconsiderably late to request invitations from ir’Sencriss directly. If you’ll lead the way, it would be my pleasure to follow you through the Thrannish district to Four Gates. I must admit to a lack of deep familiarity with the country of Thrane and your faith... Would it be better if I changed into white and silver for the outing?

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

While the rest of Kleris' companions are out staking the area or getting their hands on invitations, Kleris' job appears to be simple: getting the right gear. After collecting a list of suggested items, most of which are enchanted, the list of possible locations to get your hands on this grows quite narrow. Before long, you are on your way back to the very same establishment of magical items in the East Market: Pfennigan's Phantasmagorium.

The journey there is uneventful enough, and before long, you have arrived once more in front of its grand entrance. The halfling greeters show you to a layout of the ground floor indoor bazaar, and you are directed on your way. As it turns out, finding a single storefront in the great hall of shops that sells armor, warhammers, tattoos, and ioun stones is more difficult than it might seem at first, so you find yourself speaking to a number of merchants. The sheer array of wares on display beggars description, and everburning torches and dragonshard lanterns produce a dizzying number of illusions that seem almost purpose-designed to turn you around and direct your attention away from any of the exits. All told, it takes the better part of two hours to track down the exact inventory your allies supplied you with and haggle down the vendors to an acceptable price.

You are on your way out the door when you bump into another customer: a woman with hazel eyes wearing a patterned ruffled dress in the Fairhaven style. She apologizes for her clumsiness, but holds your arm for the briefest of moments. "You know," says the passer-by conversationally in a surprisingly deep voice, "I've heard good things about the Dusk Sentinel down the street. They have an outstanding nightwood pale ale... and there are lots of booths where you can get a quiet drink."

As she turns away, you can't help but notice a familiar birthmark just above her collarbone.

Procuring Engagements

Your task now clear, the two Khoravar begin to make their way to work their way into the event of the season. Passing through the Triptych is easy enough, as the knights at the border salute enthusiastically at Arimart's arrival. Your passage through is nothing like your grand chase to Thronehold Castle; this time, you are admitted in an orderly fashion and your papers are stamped with the silver flame and teardrop of the theocracy. Pushing through Barteros Street and the West Market, you are free to walk through the grand, open avenues of the Thrane Zone. Now that you have time to properly appreciate it, the two of you can properly admire the style of it all.

Here, towers and keeps, deep-wood long homes, and cathedrals and public buildings dominate the skyline. Everywhere you look are motifs of fire emblazoned in stone, the primary hallmark of the Flamite style. The motifs flank tall windows and open arches - the better to let in light - and all of the buildings incorporate soaring uses of negative space to revere the power of the Silver Flame. Equally prominently are a legion of robed figures, the likenesses of past Keepers of the Flame immortalized in what was once Galifar's capital. In some places, the older-style construction of Throneport has clearly been modified to incorporate Flamic elements, while newer buildings fully embrace the Flamic style from the ground up. Magical lanterns and smooth roads make for an easy trip through the Four Kings district, and after a quarter of an hour the pair of you arrive at the mansion known as Solstice House.

And as it turns out, 'mansion' is absolutely the right word for it. A gated wall surrounds the grounds of the estate - which takes up an entire block - and as you arrive at its entrance to look behind it, you spy a wonder of glass, gold, and marble. The deep grey slate of the outer facade of Solstice House is chased with gold and silver-leaf decorations reminiscent of the same fire you have been witnessing since passing through the Triptych gate. The great hall's double doors stay closed to all entrants, but the gravel paths and herb gardens are bustling with servants who are no doubt in full party-planning mode. But what strikes you the most about the mansion is its height. Other than Thronehold Castle, most of the buildings in Throneport are barely two storeys high. Solstice House, on the other hand, stands at nearly twice the height of its closest neighbours. Soaring stained glass windows play on the waning daylight, reflecting the sun right down onto the drive.

"Hold there," says one of the gate attendants upon your approach, a solidly built Thrane by his accent and staid armored uniform who gives you a once over, "name and appointment with the ambassador?" It's at that point that you spy two drakes lounging lazily in the gardens that flank the double doors.

Gathering Info

With the approach and the gear handled and the boys out of the way, Kett can dive into the real work. Picking out the right dress doesn't take too long - the tailors on the market row know their business in cloth and silks, and they take the measurements and begin to sew within half an hour of her entering the right store, telling you to return before day's end - and then it's off to the gate into the Thrane Zone. Since the last time you were at the Triptych, the guard presence has calmed down some and you are waved perfunctorily through to Thrane's sovereign ground as you show them your papers.

Once you're in the Thrane Zone, it's easy enough to start scouting out the neighborhood. While not necessarily boasting a great deal in terms of everyday magic amenities, the bright and clean streets of the Thrane Zone are a welcome departure from the riff-raff of the docks. Winding your way north, you make your way to the cobblestone Plaza of the Four Kings. As soon as you arrive, the name becomes clear: there are four large statues at each corner, depicting the first four kings of Galifar – Galifar ir'Wynarn I, Cyre ir'Wynarn, Galifar ir'Wynarn II ("Galifar the Dark"), and Darroon ir'Wynarn. However, even in the heart of grandeur there are signs of decay. In the middle of the plaza is a worn plinth upon which work had been started on a statue, left unfinished. What's more, the statue of King Cyre in the southeast corner of the plaza has been obviously defaced. It is covered in graffiti, and the right arm, which was initially raised up and holding his sword aloft, has been broken off.

Once you get to the Plaza, it's child's play to find Solstice House. As the tallest landmark around here, it does stick out somewhat. Unfortunately, the fanciful construction of the estate at its heart is belied by the security measures that you spot when it comes into view. Not only do you see a well-built curtain wall surrounding the outside, manned by guards and what appear to be wandslingers on regular patrols, but you pick out no less than two drakes just within the gate. Even as you take your time to walk around the exterior to look for hidden ways in, none appear to you beyond the single large iron-grid gate at the front. Once you're inside, getting your team out will be tricky for certain.

You've been outside the estate for only a few minutes when you notice them: there are two figures who have been following you. They have hoods up, and are walking normally, but there is always at least one who is unerringly within line of sight of you. Exactly where you picked up the tail is hard to say, but you certainly weren't followed over the zone border.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, so I've got a list of the purchases made here just to confirm them. If you haven't done this yet, please make sure that your sheet is updated to include your new gold totals and equipment and that you've recalculated any changes to attacks and AC in your stats.

• Fancy party dress and Eldritch Claw Tattoo, (1715 gp, for Kett)
    • Glamoured Half Plate (2000 gp, for Kleris)
    • +1 Vicious Warhammer (1350 gp, for Arimart)
    • Ioun Stone of Protection (1200, for Gryphon)
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-13 at 12:45 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Darkvision (~5 hours?)

Only one entrance was unusual for a construction like this. She'd usually have expected a small worker gate for deliveries so that any important guests wouldn't have to rub shoulders with those types - people making a living off their own backs. A few theories bubble up. Magical workers, rather than living. Not unusual for big mages but they still had some assistance usually, if only so they didn't spend their days refreshing spells instead of more important things. Underground access might do it too. She casts her eyes at the surrounding buildings. If she wanted absolute security, getting deliveries through to another building then having them brought underground made more sense than an overland route. For a mage of some repute it wouldn't even cost that much to create. She didn't have time to watch the other buildings for unusual couriers though, the party was tomorrow. If that was the situation, they'd have to find it while inside as an exit route, instead of using it as an alternate entrance.

Her tail was a mild inconvenience. Not that it was there, that was fine, more that she didn't know who it was from. The host could be the cause - additional security dedicated to tailing anyone who looks like they're paying too much attention to the estate. Could be some Thranes recognising her from her mad horse ride through the zone with Maugrim. Could be the so-called 'authorities' keeping an eye on her, maybe on Magistrate orders. Or Arimart's. Or could be some Houses. Or a whole host of other people. She whistles a quiet tune as it comes to mind just how many people might want her watched. She's amassed a decent host of potential enemies in a short period of time here, but as long as they didn't get in her way now they could hate her as much as they wanted when she was gone.

With her circle of the grounds completed, she does the only logical thing: approaches the front gate. She gives the guard a small wave of greeting as she approaches, concern written into her expression. "Hello. I'm really sorry to bother you, but I don't quite know what to do," she opens with, putting on her most eloquent of voices, "I think some hooded men have been following me. Is there anything you can do?" She wasn't averse to playing up the 'weak woman' aesthetic in need of a big strong man to save her. It was a tool and it worked, often and well. And when it didn't, that was fine too, but she might be able to snag two pheasants with one arrow playing it this way.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

If his paladin companion is amenable to riding rather than walking, Gryphon clutches his right hand into an upward-facing claw, drawing thick coils of extra-planar shadow into existence till they coalesce into his Phantom Steed. He saddles up and waits for his fellow half-elf to call his own celestial mount before trotting off down the path to the Thrannish Quarter.

The wizard smiles to himself as he watches the guards snap to attention and pay the paladin the respect his office affords. A society in which courtesy to those of higher rank without overt coercion is de rigueur. It’s envious. What are we still missing in Droaam to achieve true feudalism?

Enjoying a bit of idle romanticism? Is the jauntiness of the ride affecting your opinion of the humanoid’s society? How quick we are to forget that just a few days ago they were ready to lynch you based on entirely spurious charges.

Reforming your body is a simple ritual; I still have scars from a troll that didn’t know it’s place in the social order. Just because the majority of these humanoids are conniving and bloodthirsty doesn’t mean they all are. Nor does it mean that they entirely lack good ideas.

Continuing his ride, Gryphon turns to Arimart and addresses the paladin. Pardon me, if this diverts from the topic of our current objectives, Prosecutor, but there’s been a matter I’ve been hoping to have the chance to bring up to you. Khorovar we may both be, but camaraderie between our peoples is a rare thing. Between veterans of The Last War and its orphans; between Brelanders and Droaamites; between paladins and monsters. The courteousness you treated me with, the benefits of the doubt you’ve extended towards me, and the respect you’ve shown me haven’t gone unnoticed. You’re a good man, Prosecutor Kaessel, and a credit to both your country and your knightly order.

If you’ll excuse my frankness, other than Sir Kleris, you’re the first half-elf I’ve gotten to know since my parents were... lost. I suppose no matter how much time has passed, one never loses that Khorovar feeling of community, you know? Working alongside you, this past week, has been a nice change of pace.

I have no doubt that by this point you’ve had a chance to look over the transcripts of my interview with the tribunal. Everything I said was magically verified to be true. I am an ambassador, an envoy for my people and the message I carry is one of peace. I hope that by my words and actions, and the friendship between the two of us, you can see that there’s a real chance for peace between our nations.

As he speaks, no trace of the typical haughtiness or manufactured serenity so commonly found set into Gryphon’s features are present. Instead only earnesty and a touch of concern show.

When they arrive at their destination, Gryphon dismounts and approaches the guards with his fellow half-elf. He stands at ease, his face having resumed its typical position of relaxed superiority. He scans the guards and drakes but otherwise waits for the paladin to introduce himself first.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

Kleris is pretty happy about the shopping trip, he had gotten good prices for all the goods that he had offloaded for the group and his armor hadn't taken too long to enchant either. He was going to have to experiment with the glamored enchantment and how that could in turn work with his shiftweave. Some might think two form changing apparel items would be too much but already he was mentally reworking the looks of his personas.

He spent the time waiting for the armor walking along through the market, people watching on all sorts who entered the market in their various outfits and styles. You could always pick up a good look when you weren't looking. 'Well it seems like wrist jewelry is making a big comeback... or did it ever leave? Its really one of those trends that never really dies. Seems like a good amount of the merchants and nobles seem to be wearing some fancy bracelets of some sort.

He could make that work, he didn't want to walk around in his big recognizable mithril splint mail. That ruined the point of being hard to identify. He had a new idea starting to take place for Kleris. The Shiftweave outfit with the nicer woolen clothes and leathers would stay, obviously. That was classic Kleris, hardworking but well off enough to care about his appearance. The armor would become a few different pieces. He would start to wear a classy dark brown leather duster with a high coller and thickened shoulders. Add a nice pair of leather calf length boots, several iron and bronze bangles along his wrists, and an intricate leather lace necklace.

Yes. He pictures it in his minds eye, Kleris cutting a dashing figure as he enters the bar, a swish of the coat and chime of bangles as he grabs a drink from behind the bar.

What about Orlan the Thug though? He had dabbled with the identity for a few weeks now and he's been using it more and more. It had been put off long enough, he needed to define the persona. Build the identity of the man, the history, and now the clothes.

He pictured the rough and tumble man in his wine soaked leathers, a scowl on his face and a half empty bottle in his hand. He tried picturing him with a similar duster coat as Kleris but it didn't fit. However he hadn't spent the last few weeks in the nicest of areas so he had lots of samples to pick from. He remembers a couple of sailors a few weeks back drinking at a bar and the jacket one of them wore. It was a very thick coat of felt and leather but heavily worn and scarred from years of use. That seemed to fit. Then he added similar calf length boots as Kleris but worn and with banded iron around the calf area. Then he added the wrist part of a set of manacles to Orlan, small bits of chain still attached to each, a statement to be made in the thick iron banding his wrists but not restricting him.

Lastly he thought of the new persona he felt growing, fed by the thoughts of high class dinners, parties, and other fancy events. Someone attention grabbing but fleeting. Someone who was expected to come and go. Someone fascinating and worthy of conversing with many nobles. The idea solidifies, the name whispered in draconic in his mind, Shemran Flamebrow. Shemran was a tall striking Dragonborn lady, her scales were dominated by red but with smatterings of gold around the eyes and forearms. Her gold irises could pin a lesser person to a wall with her very gaze. A prominent clan member of the Flamebrow clan in Q'Barra who was sent to gather trading contacts and possible allies in the Five Nations, she would make Throneport her home base but would be traveling all over the Five Nations on her 'mission' which would help Sask explain the absences.

His striking form would be wrapped in a deep red dress to flatter her scales and use gold to accent her looks. A slight martial look would play to her background too. Her outfit would also contain a highly decorated and ornamental looking breastplate held by flimsy chains on her front, heeled shoes with steel heels and toes, delicate gold chains winding up her arms, and a thick lizard person style golden torc on her neck.

It was all coming together, he couldn't wait for the group to see his various personas in their outfits... though it may be be difficult to arrange with his determination to keep it all secret.

'Maybe you're reaching the point where it would be good to... confide in people other then secretive Changeling spymasters who want you to collapse nations.'

'Hey now, make all the associates and even... friends you want. Just remember we set down this path already, those spymasters set us straight and put the pieces of your mind back together. Gave you purpose and religion again. Don't just forget that, sharing your true identity could burn your personas here.'

The irony of a voice in your head arguing that your psyche was put together was quite funny but they both had valid points.

Thats what he was thinking of when he bumped into the women as she was entering, the automatic apology dies on his lips as he spots the birthmark and he stammers for a second before pulling himself together "Oh? Well that sounds like it might hit the spot, maybe I'll stop by later for a drink."

He politely nods at her as he leaves but quickly slips into the closest alleyway, pulling a classic move and illusioning himself into a small corner. While there he takes a breath and starts to think. It seems that Crick has decided to find him rather then wait around for him to make contact. While this is not necessarily a bad thing he had to think about what to let him know, he did not like to do meetings like this in his Kleris persona but that was the one Crick knew him as. Introducing a new one would let the other Changeling know more about the life he was trying to lead. So he would have to meet with the other Changeling as is.

He looks down at the newly enchanted armor and grins, at least he could now he could try it out. Things on his body shimmer and the previous thoughts he had shimmer into being. After making sure he was alone he drops the illusion and walks out confidently, heading to the tavern. Once there he sits down in one of the sheltered booths towards the back and orders two beers. Waiting for the inevitable encounter with the other changeling.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

The Dusk Sentinel is a dime a dozen, another establishment very much like your own new Reprieve - if on a less well traveled corner of the district. Tucked between a tannery and a haberdashery, the place smells faintly of alchemical run-off and magical dyes, a cloying sweetness that does not fade as you approach the threshold. The faded sign of an armored man atop a hill swings slightly in the breeze as you pass under the door. There is a conspicuous lack of magical lighting in here: the only illumination comes from candles and the odd window. Flagging down one of the wait staff, you find a spot in a secluded booth at the back of the house, where the light is weakest.

It takes the better part of ten minutes after you sit for your counterpart to join you. The persona looks largely as she did in the market: her dress is clearly cut in the latest fashion from Aundair, a daring construction of silk and lace in royal blue that hasn't seen too much wear yet. With bright lily-coloured ruffles at the wrist-cuffs and around the neckline and a pair of rings on each hand, the attention is drawn subtly away from the woman's actual features. Yet as you look at her aquiline nose and sharp cheekbones, you are reminded of nothing so much as a statue. 'She' puts a wicker hamper down on the seat beside her as she joins you, adopting a perfect smile as the beers arrive.

"Oh, thank you Kleris," she begins, taking a deep sip from the glass. "It's a gods-awful pit, but at least the beer's good. Now, sorry for grabbing you like that, but I needed a place to speak quietly about something. There's been some suspicious activity that's been going on in the city, activity that I think might concern you."

Gathering Info

The men and women at the front gates of Solstice House all wear Thrane's livery in an official capacity; guards loyal to Thrane, not necessarily personal security. They look you over carefully as you call out in their direction. One of them, a more solidly built man with the insignia of rank on his uniform, holds out an arm in a gesture for you to halt. "I'm sorry to hear that ma'am," he says with a voice used to some authority, "but our orders are to stay at our posts. We can't help you." He shares a few looks with those under his nominal command, but nobody speaks up.

"If you'd like," the officer says sheepishly after a moment's hesitation, "I guess you can wait here a few minutes until they're gone. I can't let you inside, but we can make sure that nobody bothers you. What's your name, miss?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Procuring Engagements

Picking up on Gryphon's question about clothing, Arimart answers him that it is not needed, then proceeds to call his steed and, when the arcanist who was waiting atop his shadowy mount nods to him, they head towards their first goal.

During this time, Arimart takes his time to explain to Gryphon the basic tenents of the Silver Flame, at least, what he got by his life experience of communing with it.

"Well, as you probably know, Thrane is seen as the only one of the Five Nation without a noble head, since the ir'Wyrnan branch was ousted by the church. That's true, but reality is often more complicated than what it looks like. As a Brelish, I know very well that the power of kings is not infinite, and is often tied to the will of those they are bound to guide. For the Silver Flame, things work in a different way. Many will tell you that the church of the Silver Flame fights for the good of all people, others will tell you that they are crusaders looking for enemies to slay, and many others will tell you that it is a political force that is infiltrating itself in the five nations. All of them are both right and wrong.
    The Flame is not a ruler, is not a structured religion, or a concept. The Silver Flame is pure good. The Flame is the warrior who lays down his life for his companion, is the Jorasco healer that offers his powers to war victims, is the farmer who nurtures his crops each and every day..."

As he speaks, the paladin looks at the road, slowly leading to the Thrannish zone

"I don't know much of the land where you come from, buy you may have heard of the Ghaashk'kala, the orcish warriors of the Demon Wastes, they don't clearly know it, and many of my brethern wouldn't like to admit it, but they are followers of the Flame too. Everywhere you see the light making a stand against evil, great or small as it may be, the Silver Flame is burning. It doesn't matter if its a spark of a raging fire. It still is"

Understanding that he may have been carried away a little too much, the Prosecutor stops himself, since they are reaching the entrance, where he is greeted by the guards.

After Gryphon questions him, he reflects on how everything might seem new for the young Khoravar, and he can't help but smile slightly at the concentrate of naivety and cleverness who is is companion.

"If you have not been greeted as much as you deserve, it may be due to your affilitation and the fierce soul of this city. Mistrust comes second only to breathing for the citizens of Throneport. I was raised as a corteous Khoravar, and I learnt that helping our fellows is one of the foremost duties. I think that you bring with you a divisive message; you wish to bridge gaps into untraveled roads, and to stitch wounds that may still be fresh. I believe that we can strive for peace, too, and I have to admit that your discourse at the Tribunal was, frankly, refreshing. I hope that you succeed in your efforts, and I'm open to counsel you along the way, I know of some groups that could be capable of helping strengthen your position but we will have to speak about it later..."
    The paladin points with his head at a structure in front of the pair of horsemen. Solstice House.

As they dismount, the Prosecutor winks at Gryphon, "Time to use our charms... ambassador."

He walks toward the guards and greets them, while glancing around the place.

"I am sir Arimart Kaessal, Knight of the Silver Flame and Prosecutor of the Thronehold Tribunal. My fellow here is sir Gryphon Kellson, Inquisitor of the Ports and First Ambassador of Drooam. In truth, we have no appointment, since we are here for invitations to the Ambassador's daughter party, and we don't wish to be so mannerless to bother him. If you'll be so courteous to inform him of our presence and our interest for the party, we will thank you, but I know he is a very busy man, so there's no need to interrupt any of his activities for us."

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Kett gives a short bow of her head. "Oh no, I completely understand, thank you so much. Hopefully whoever they are they'll see you all nearby and head for the hills." She gives a light laugh at this. If they were a tail sent by the party host they'd leave her alone afterwards, if not they'd stick around at a distance. Either way she gets some information about it. "People have been calling me 'Madam Kett' lately, though I think it's a little excessive. Kett on its own is fine. I'm hoping to attend the party tomorrow, you know." She rattles this off casually, letting herself slip into easy talking now that her immediate safety is secured - at least from their perspective - as if talking of it like a tourist destination, no different from a museum or library. "My friends, bless them, left it until last minute to seek out invitations but the moment I heard that Lord ir'Sencriss was hosting a party I knew we had to try. I thought, even if we can't get an invite, it would be nice to take a look, see what might be."

She leans in a bit closer and lowers her voice, before asking "It will be safe tomorrow won't it?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Procuring Engagements

The man at the gate's eyes widen as Arimart speaks, evidently taken aback by the man's identity as well as his purpose. Straightening out his uniform creases at the bottom of his tabard, he clears his throat. "Ahem, my apologies sirs. I'm afraid I can't simply pass along your best intentions and hopes for an invitation; Steward Ghastor will likely want to meet you both before adding you to the guest list. If you'll both wait right here, I can send a runner to fetch him."

Nodding off towards another of the guards who takes off towards the house at a brisk walk, the officer turns back to you. "The name's Arrun, I run the gatehouse here. Can I just say, Sir Kaessel, it is an honour to meet you! I heard all about your bringing Maugrim Nameless to justice. The way you brought him in to stand trial - wading through a legion of Karrnathi abominations - Flame forgive me, but that was damned impressive." Taking off his helmet, the man reveals a sweaty mop of sandy blonde hair and a tanned complexion. His nose is too wide for his face and a few of his teeth are crooked, yet his square shoulders and steady stance mark him out as a veteran for certain.

After a few minutes, the runner returns with a second figure in tow. If Arrun is solidly built, this man is decidedly portly, with a sculpted gleaming breastplate that does nothing to hide his gut. A shining bald pate on top of his head is surrounded by a crown of dark curls, and he sports a full goatee. In one hand he carries a scepter that looks far too comfortable to be useful, and in the other a dark ledger from which hangs a sheaf of paper. Appraising eyes look the two of you up and down.

"Absolutely not," says the steward in lieu of an introduction. "This is not some common salon - one cannot simply arrive the day before a party and demand an invitation. Besides, we have a closed guest list. Our guests include Tribunal magistrates, lords and ladies from nations all over Khorvaire, and friends of the family. Unless you can prove a worthy addition, I see no reason I should even bring up your names to the master of the house."

Gathering Info

"Well... Madam Kett," replies the guard, who seems to be more comfortable with the formal address, "the party is an extremely exclusive affair. I know for a fact that less than forty invitations were sent out, and only to the most select people in the city. Lord ir'Sencriss has been an extremely private person ever since the passing of his wife six years ago. I hope that you're friends with some serious people, otherwise I wouldn't count much on getting inside."

When you get closer to ask about the safety of the event, the man's previously open face falters. "Of course it will be safe. This is the residence of Thrane's sovereign ambassador in Throneport. In case you can't see Madam, we have an entire platoon of the Flame's finest here to keep our guests safe. And of course, the house has other protections." He pauses, as though seeing you for the first time, and his brows furrow into a frown.

"I'm sure that whoever was following you is gone. You'd best be on your way now."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-15 at 03:21 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

The young woman nods in approval as she's gestured to note the ample security. "I'm glad to see it's being taken so seriously, especially after what happened yesterday. It puts my heart at ease." She skips past commenting on her 'friends'. They might have already been and gone, no sense telling him any more than she already had. She leans back, looking around for her tail. "Thank you very much for your assistance. I hope you have a good shift, and maybe we will meet again tomorrow?" She adds a smile and a little hopeful tilt to the last question, before bowing and turning away. She wasn't convinced the tail was gone just yet, and while forcing them to follow her on a merry goose chase across the city did sound appealing, it wasn't a very efficient use of her time.

Instead, with her conversation done, she heads into the same direction she was going before, looking at the other manors with a wide, starry-eyed look on her face. After passing a handful on a relatively straight line she takes the next corner and immediately leans up against the wall - casually, but enough that it's hard to spot her unless you round it entirely. Then she waits, hands in pockets, hunched slightly as if catching her breath or taking a brief respite from a long walk. If they were still on her it wouldn't take long to find out.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

Kleris shrugs at the other Changelings disgust with the place "It isn't the worst bar I've been too and the beer is quite good. As for grabbing me, it was a bit of a surprise but also what I deserved for not keeping a better eye on the area. Or being better at staying under the radar."

He does lean in slightly and lower his voice a bit "Now what suspicious activity could possibly involve me here? I'm merely an aspiring innkeeper who got caught up in a mix the last few days."

He smiles casually, not willing to give up anything more until he has a few answers.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

"Sorry, I meant worry you, not concerning you. I forget how awkward this tongue is sometimes." The 'woman' across from you snorts ruefully.

"I have some... kin in the city, like you. One of the things we do is monitor the traffic coming in and out of the city; my family has people in most of the outfits that get people in and out of Throneport, legal and otherwise. They mostly work around the docks, but I move them around from time to time as needed." She adjusts her collar, leaning in slightly and arching her back slightly to accentuate her curves. To anyone watching, your meeting probably resembles a tryst more than anything so clandestine.

"Anyway, my people have started going missing. It started about a month ago, down near the harbour. We had a persona in place of a part time dockworker named Iax who moonlighted as a fence. One day, Iax doesn't report back in, so I ask another cousin to go take his place and check it out, only they disappear as well. Now it's been four weeks and I've lost six of my people, vanished without a trace."

The disguised shapeshifter sighs, and you catch the faintest waft of perfume emanating from his skin. "I've got some sources around that neighborhood keeping an eye out for bodies turning up, but so far nothing. Whatever's happening to them, they're not washing up by the docks. I was hoping that you and your friends might be able to help me investigate this. I'll owe you one; trust me, you want someone like me owing you one."

Gathering Info

The guards barely give you a second look as you step away from the mansion's gates, save for the man in charge who stares after you with a troubled look. Leaving the Thrane hall behind for now, you weave your way through the streets of Four Kings while remaining openly visible to any pursuers. Sure enough, after perhaps a minute of wandering about, during which time your path takes you through a shaded open air market, you catch a pair of profiles out of the corner of your eye. Finding a spot just out of sight is easy enough. While lying in wait to spring your trap, you can hear the faint scraping of their footsteps on stone, followed by whispering voices.

"... think she went this way." They are closing in now, about to round the corner. By the grunt in agreement, you would gauge that your pursuers are both male, and their vocal registers are quite similar. For a second, you aren't even sure that there is more than one speaking, but there is definitively a semi-audible conversation happening. Whoever these people are though, they failed to notice your maneuver, leaving you in a prime position to charge out of hiding the instant they round the corner.

Show
    I rolled Stealth for Kett in Roll20 and got a total of 18, so you effectively have the drop on these two guys. They would count as surprised, which means that if combat breaks out here, they wouldn't be able to act or move in Round 1 after Initiative is rolled (they couldn't take reactions either). It's your call what to do here - I have a Roll20 map up and ready to go if and when you want to do a quick fight this weekend. We can literally do it all in one go if that makes things easier.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

Kleris plasters a goofy grin on his face as Crick shifts, pretending to have trouble keeping his eyes on the other changelings face. He reaches his right hand towards the other changeling and grabs her hand lightly. Though he is flirty and silly on the outside he feels an old sadness raise its ugly head, it was never easy to lose parts of your family. Hopefully they were alive but the other changeling must be having some trouble right now. He tried to remember that this was a spymaster and manipulator easily capable of lying to him to get him and his allies to follow some plan he had laid out. "I'm so sorry Crick. That is never easy to go through. I think I heard some rumors circulating to that effect, disappearing dock guide or something to that degree. Hmmm well this is interesting and I won't lie having a connection to an actual network in the city would be extremely useful.'

A thought pops into his head, they had a person in most outfits? Were the Daughters and Midnighters infiltrated? That was a tidy little secret that slipped out that he could possibly use. "People in most outfits? That's curious, I wonder if I've meet any of them?

He sits back as Crick leans forward towards him, looking happy but sort of nervous "Well you definitely have my attention and my interest. Also if someone is targeting changelings then that obviously matters to me. My allies are and I are busy today and tomorrow but hopefully we can get into this the day after. I'll see if I can get some of my people on it now though, gather some info."

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

She waits. Casually, quietly. She's not tense, and there's no fear. If anything there's just a touch of excitement trilling in her chest. She waits until they're as close as they can possibly be, perhaps even past her, if they're so blind as to not see her. She wouldn't open with hostilities, but she does flex her fingers to warm them up. If they fought, she'd fight back. When she steps out, taking them by surprise, she speaks loudly, announcing her presence to them - and to anyone nearby. "Gentlemen." She tries to hold back the smugness of catching them off guard, but it is pretty funny. "You've been following me." Not a question, or an accusation even, she merely states it as a fact, asserting the reality of the situation with conviction to overpower any denials. "Would you like to tell me why now, or in front of a Prosecutor?"

She was quite confident she could outrun them if they fled, or if she needed to flee herself, so announcing herself didn't pose any real threat.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon smiles his patient, placid smile at the snippy majordomo. He waits for the man to finish his little ramble, before slowly exchanging a glance towards his companion, followed by a languid shrug.

Planning this soirée must be a dreadfully time consuming affair to cloud your awareness of current events. The knight before you isn’t some common vagabond errant, this is Sir Arimart Kaessel, the Champion of the Tribunal, who fought through waves of Karnathi horrors and terrorist plots to bring the war criminal Maugrim Nameless to justice a scant few days ago.

You want a reason that he should be afforded an invitation? Beyond the fact that he’s the hero of the hour, his exploits in every newspaper, and a direct representative of the Tribunal of Throneport?

If ignoring one of the city’s currently most celebrated figures, and having to explain to your master why the man whose name is on everyone’s lips failed to attend his daughter’s party is your prerogative then I certainly won’t stand in your way.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-01-16 at 09:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Procuring Engagements

The paladin thanks Arrun for his kind words "It is an honor for me to meet a fellow servant of the Flame." He answers back.

As the stweard explains his reservations and Gryphon starts his passionate speech, Arimart expends all his willpower to not laugh, especially at the mention of 'waves of Karrnathi horrors'. While the young arcanist speaks, the older Khoravar mentally prays to the Flame, calling for its inner power. *
    "As a sword strikes true in the heart of darkness, let my words cut down every doubt; as the Flame lights up the halls of justice, let my face shine with your truth."

When Gryphon stops speaking, Arimart take advantage of the situation, and follows closely with his request.
    "My companion may have been carried away a little too far, with his account, nonetheless, his final point stands true. You can see how little time it took for Arrun to recognize us. I know how these kind of meetings are important to reinforce the social standing of its guest. The Ir'Sencriss family is quite important, and nothing would be more fitting for a party like this, than for it to be attended by some of the most talked about people of the day. We can offer you this. Me, my fellow ambassador, and our two companions made the news, and we are eager to be there next evening, speaking of our undertakings against impossible odds and of how Ir'Sencriss hospitality surpass that of house Ghallanda. I could have talked with my friends in the Tribunal to have our invitations but, my dear Ghastor, I have one question, do you prefer to bother your master and ask him how much he would like for us to participate, or do you think it better to appear as the one who booked in some of the most gossiped people in the whole city?"

Spoiler: *
    Show

Expending his use of Emissary of peace, to obtain a +5 on Persuasion rolls

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

Doubling down on your acting choice, Crick clasps his persona's fingers in yours and gives you a radiant smile. "You have my gratitude, Kleris. I think that whoever is going after my people has someone watching my crew, so until you figure out what's going on, I'm pulling my eyes back from the docks. I've got all the details on Iax here with me for you to go over, in case you need it." Reaching into the basket by her side, the woman slides a rosy-pink dragonshard over the table to you.

"Get your wizard friend to go through this. I hope that's enough to go on for now; the sooner you act on this, the better. If there's a predator stalking the docks who can see through our personae, we need to be rid of him." Crick leans in to give you a gentle kiss on the cheek, before whispering four words right into your ear. His breath smells of beer but also faintly of cloves and rosemary.

"Find joy in change."

Finishing the rest of her drink, the woman rises and gives you a small curtsy before sashaying right on out of the Pale Sentinel, leaving you alone.

Procuring Invites

The steward clearly was not expecting Gryphon to come to Arimart's rescue, or that the paladin would be so well prepared in his arguments. His mouth opens and closes twice, at first in indignation and then in open surprise. Behind you, the guards share looks, and Arrun is forced to look away as a smirk steals across his face. Ghastor looks to the knight of the Flame with renewed interest as the two of you list off his deeds and credentials, returning to his unruffled semblance after a moment of adjustment.

"My... apologies for not recognizing such a renowned figure, Sir Kaessel; I will see to it that you and your guests are added to the list forthwith. I'm sure that Lord ir'Sencriss will be delighted to have someone like you in attendance at the event - it will certainly be the party to remember. The Lady Layla will want to meet you as well, I'm sure." Shaking his head slightly in disapproval - though at which part of that statement you aren't entirely sure - Ghastor reaches down to the ledger in his hands. Pulling out a steel key-pin from his belt, he slides it into an intricate looking lock mechanism and opens the ledger. Flipping around the pin by flicking his fingers, he clicks the end and a pen nib comes out the end.

"Now I will need your names to add to the rolls, so that you may be announced upon your arrival. You said that there were four of you?" Though the man holds the book close to him, you can spot the barest glimpse of a proper list of names written in a spidery scrawl.

Show
    Either of you can try for a Perception check to make out some of the names on the list (albeit upside down). The higher your check, the more names from the list I will reveal.

Gathering Info

The two figures approach your hiding place and are nearly past you when you reveal yourself. In whirling around, one of their hoods falls off, revealing a pale complexion and elfin features, though the presence of a five-o-clock shadow would seem to indicate some human ancestry as well. Both of them wear similar clothing of leather with metal studs to reinforce the joins, and carry a pair of daggers at their hips. In the shadows of the second's hood, you can make a near-identical jawline and nose. Twins, or perhaps there's a face-sharing game afoot.

Both of them freeze in their tracks when you call out in their direction. One of them reaches for his daggers, but the second of them is the faster. Merely shaking his head, he murmurs to the other one a single word: "Scatter."

Which is precisely what they do. Obviously their mandate was not to attack you, as each of the figures springs into motion with tremendous alacrity. Splitting up, one of them runs back the way you came towards the finer estates of Four Kings while the second ducks out of the alley and into the nearby marketplace. Their movements betray a speed and grace that only comes from training, as their shoes barely touch the stone streets before they're off again. If you don't choose one of them to pursue and quickly, both of them will escape.

Show
    In lieu of a fight, both of Kett's followers are bolting in more or less opposite directions. They are each double moving for full speed, plus a bonus action Dash for a total of 90 ft speed.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-08 at 05:37 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.