New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I mean, you have infinitely more people wanting to date you than the last time you said you were sure nobody would want to date you, so, hey, the statistics are in your favour.
    I refuse to believe this is possible!

Oh, got another date with a new person tomorrow evening, need to remember to shave.

Impossible I tell you!

Also, I don't have infinitely more, I'd need infinite potential partners for that, but I do have infinite times as many
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Also, I don't have infinitely more, I'd need infinite potential partners for that, but I do have infinite times as many
    Fair, that's what I get for wordsing at 2:30am.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Huh. If that's really true about Oregon in general, then Portland must be way worse than everywhere else here that I remember; Salem was sort of close, but it didn't give me quite the same "uncomfortably sterile" vibe.
    I think that's true of most of the state in general to varying degrees. The Portland area, I agree, is probably worst for this. I never felt the "uncomfortably sterile" vibe, but I don't disagree. I'm thinking it probably just feels normal to me so I never noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Try Shangri-la.

In all seriousness though, I was curious, so I searched for data on the subject. What I found wasn't perfect, but I managed to find a map of the US based on how many people said they ween't married on there taxes, which isn't a exact match for this situation, but it was the best I could find.

What I said for Oregon was that around 50% of the population was unmarried, which is quite a bit, but not that much compared to other states like Louisiana, California, and New York, which approached 55%. Heck, 50% isn't any more than my home state, Missouri.

The states that had the least unmarried people living in them were Utah and Idaho, which is probably because of the high Mormon population, so if you are looking for a place where love comes easier, I wouldn't recommend using these stats unless you're interested in changing religions.

I couldn't find data for friendships, but personally? Without any had data on the subject I can't really say if the people of Oregon are more distant. They could be, sure, but the cynical old me is inclined to think that people are just becoming more socially isolated everywhere, not just Oregon, and this has been happening for years.

Chin up, The Fury, we might all be alone, but we're all alone together!
    I'm not sure marriage data is a good indicator of how likely I am to meet someone that's willing to stay. Whether in a capacity as a romantic partner or a close friend.

Every so often I hear from people that moved away and stopped talking to me. Sometimes they'll tell me that their life got so much better after they moved to Seattle, Brooklyn, Santa Cruz, Los Angeles, or wherever. It's great for them, it really is. I feel selfish about wishing they stayed, but I do.

I think I'm feeling like I wish that I was different. I wish that I was better with the idea of temporary friends.

All I can recommend is, maybe see if you can get a telephone appointment with a mind doctor? They'll be able to point you towards resources that could work, mine's enrolled me on a good anti-social anxiety course (which I need to remember to complete). While we can offer hugs and support, a proper psychologist can tell you if you do have a problem, and help you start overcoming it.
    Maybe. I think I'll have health insurance in about three months. It might take a bit of digging to see if my plan would even cover it.

Here's one to cheer you up:
    A horse walks into a bar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The barman asks them 'why the long face?'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The horse replies 'my wife just died.'
    That's pretty good.
    Spoiler: Ever hear the one about the two men that walked into a bank?
    Show
    You'd think one of them would have seen it.

In other news, I might be being poly at the moment. Yes, it's all above board, the holdup is the fact that it's not like I'm going to find another person who wants to date me.
    I'm glad for you. I hope that it goes well.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Woo! I done it (to the extent of "still some modularised stuff like domains/monsters to sort out, but the classes/feats/spells etc is done and completed")! 3.Aotrs v2.0 is at operational status (as in "in printable condition").

Current 3.Aotrs page count: 1054, 293 pages of which are the spells, about 300 are the character classes and about 150 pages are the feats.

So having GOT tho that milestones, I can maybe try and not be doing this 5/7 nights a week since September and Have A Bit Of A (Metaphorical) Breather.

Y'now, before I decide I need to add more crap or start something like a ToB to Path of War overhaul or something (that can wait until v 3.0...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-05-28 at 06:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I'm not sure marriage data is a good indicator of how likely I am to meet someone that's willing to stay. Whether in a capacity as a romantic partner or a close friend.

Every so often I hear from people that moved away and stopped talking to me. Sometimes they'll tell me that their life got so much better after they moved to Seattle, Brooklyn, Santa Cruz, Los Angeles, or wherever. It's great for them, it really is. I feel selfish about wishing they stayed, but I do.

I think I'm feeling like I wish that I was different. I wish that I was better with the idea of temporary friends.
    Marriage data is going to be extremely unreliable in this instance, although my view might be tainted by the fact that it's noticeably declining in popularity here.

Maybe you should try keeping in touch with people who move away? Like, it's not the same as having a friend right next to you, but as somebody who's occasionally received emotional support with an eight hour delay, it can sometimes help a lot with loneliness and the like.

Maybe. I think I'll have health insurance in about three months. It might take a bit of digging to see if my plan would even cover it.
    Oh yeah, sorry. I'm used to the idea that if I need medical assistance I can just book an appointment with the doctor or go to the hospital and the worst I'll have to deal with is long wait times. It's certainly convenient, six months wait to get the virus right as my sessions were starting was annoying, but at least I didn't have to put any money down.

That's pretty good.
    Spoiler: Ever hear the one about the two men that walked into a bank?
    Show
    You'd think one of them would have seen it.
    I normally here that one with a pub, because of the entire pub/bar thing here in the ook.

I'm glad for you. I hope that it goes well.
    Hopefully, apparently I'm not the only one pushing for group snuggles
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-05-28 at 06:34 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

I know, but I'm not a statistician, so I'm not not actually that good at finding specific data, nor am I qualified to use those stats to determine something as complicated as how close people are.

The truth is, I don't know hat I'm doing.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Haha, to prove my point about not rushing to physically print anything; in my haste, apparently overlooked I'd not paginated or spellchecked the master rules document. So that's at v2.01 already! Eh, that's mostly just the DM's bit anyway with all the "how game works" stuff, so it's mostly only me that uses that anyway.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Marriage data is going to be extremely unreliable in this instance, although my view might be tainted by the fact that it's noticeably declining in popularity here.

Maybe you should try keeping in touch with people who move away? Like, it's not the same as having a friend right next to you, but as somebody who's occasionally received emotional support with an eight hour delay, it can sometimes help a lot with loneliness and the like.
    Oh, marriage is getting less popular here as well. On that note, my sister is getting married soon.

I do try to keep in touch with people that will still talk to me, heck there are even people that I regularly have contact with whom I've never met in person. These have helped, I still feel pretty lonely. That said, it could be much worse.

Oh yeah, sorry. I'm used to the idea that if I need medical assistance I can just book an appointment with the doctor or go to the hospital and the worst I'll have to deal with is long wait times. It's certainly convenient, six months wait to get the virus right as my sessions were starting was annoying, but at least I didn't have to put any money down.
    That sounds nice. Apart from six months wait time, of course. Though this does seem like a "tread carefully" sort of subject though, so maybe it's just best to leave it at that.

I normally here that one with a pub, because of the entire pub/bar thing here in the ook.
    Eh. It just needs to be a building in order for the joke to work.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everybody. I've been working on my solo D&D 3.5 game and so far I included more NPC and their backstory.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. I've been working on my solo D&D 3.5 game and so far I included more NPC and their backstory.
    I'm currently prepping NPCs for a CofD game (mainly Changeling, but adding some Vampire and Werewolf NPCs as well), and man have I noticed that I have a heavy bias on Seemings. I lean heavily towards the Fairest and Wizended, with Beasts being used as a generic 'throw an animal at it and call it a day' fairies and Ogres being used to round out bumbers in groups. Very few Elementals because I struggle to think of good concepts for them, and dew Darklings because they just don't appeal to me.

But in less serious news, date in an hour. Eek, I don't think I've de-speech impedimented myself enough for this!

Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm currently prepping NPCs for a CofD game (mainly Changeling, but adding some Vampire and Werewolf NPCs as well), and man have I noticed that I have a heavy bias on Seemings. I lean heavily towards the Fairest and Wizended, with Beasts being used as a generic 'throw an animal at it and call it a day' fairies and Ogres being used to round out bumbers in groups. Very few Elementals because I struggle to think of good concepts for them, and dew Darklings because they just don't appeal to me.

But in less serious news, date in an hour. Eek, I don't think I've de-speech impedimented myself enough for this!
    That's ok, I got faith in you! I believe in you! You can rock it!

Whenever on a date, if you're in doubt, just think of Peelee. Sound advice, I say!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

12. - Top - End - #312
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh you'll be fine. If you talk half as well as you type, she will probably love you twice as much as we love you!
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cool. Just one question though: what's CofD stands for?

14. - Top - End - #314

Google tells me it's Chronicles of Darkness.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's ok, I got faith in you! I believe in you! You can rock it!

Whenever on a date, if you're in doubt, just think of Peelee. Sound advice, I say!
    I can't do that. Reminding myself of amazing people tends to bring my confidence as well

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Oh you'll be fine. If you talk half as well as you type, she will probably love you twice as much as we love you!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't afford to date everybody!

My date went well, by the way, lots of fun. Until my phone's battery died,

New World of Darkness. Especially after some of the V5 developments* I much prefer it to this Old World of Darkness they keep pushing. (For branding reasons Paradox changed the name to Chronicles of Darkness.)

* Basically, they took everything I'm glad was thrown out of Requiem 2e and bolted it onto Masquerade 5e.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-05-29 at 04:13 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Google tells me it's Chronicles of Darkness.
    I can't do that. Reminding myself of amazing people tends to bring my confidence as well

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't afford to date everybody!

My date went well, by the way, lots of fun. Until my phone's battery died,

New World of Darkness. Especially after some of the V5 developments* I much prefer it to this Old World of Darkness they keep pushing. (For branding reasons Paradox changed the name to Chronicles of Darkness.)

* Basically, they took everything I'm glad was thrown out of Requiem 2e and bolted it onto Masquerade 5e.
    Cool. So far I add K'yorl family and friends in my solo D&D 3.5 game. This game will be the best love triangle game ever.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yay. The package I dispatched to a US customer in the middle of April has still not arrived (fortunately, I suggested international tracked and signed); apparently it only hit the US on the 20th this month. It is still supposedly in transit (I have, of course, no idea of how long it normally takes to internal post to go places.) I tactfully suggested more patience (I mean, there's not a lot I can do about international postage lag because of a pandemic - and trust me, if I did humanity would have MUUUUCH bigger problems.)

But I am starting to see this head towards the point the gentleman will start asking for a refund, because it's taking so long (because that would be just perfect), which would mean I either have to decline and be the Big Bad Business and naff-off a potential customer... Or I take a hit and and I'm in the position where said refund (and it's not a particularly big number) represents a depressingly large chunk of the earnings for this financial year so far (as well as meaning that I lose about £12 on postage - doubled, because I'd have paid for it twice, once at dispatch and once on refund.)

Fantastic.

18. - Top - End - #318

3D print software: "Part appears to be extremely small and may be in inches format. Would you like to automatically scale to millimeter format?"

Me: ..........nnnnnnoooooooooooo...

Spoiler: 3D print software:
    Show

Spoiler: Me:
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Cool. So far I add K'yorl family and friends in my solo D&D 3.5 game. This game will be the best love triangle game ever.
    Love triangle? The Spring Court is disappointed Although to be fair, my view of the spring court is much more along the lines of relationship anarchy practising vansurfers than anything.

I'm more concerned with developing four structures that don't all resemble noble courts for variety, so I'm only allowing Summer to fulfil that. Going with a 100000 humans per changeling ratio I can squeeze just over 80000 Changelings in London, assuming that a third of those are Courtiers would still give me thousands of Courtiers per court, which allows me to theoretically do things like making one court a direct or representational democracy (probably Winter or Spring, Summer is very much a traditional noble court including regalia while Autumn is closer to an academic institution*). So at the moment Spring doesn't have much structure beyond a Monarch, Summer has a Monarch overseeing Dukes, who oversee Counts, who oversee Barons who oversee Knights, Autumn has a variety of professors who's actual status varies wildly, and Winter is kind of a blank slate right now (they have a Monarch and some kind of structure, but that's about it, I'm considering having them style themselves a corporation).

I am considering adding in a fifth court (possibly one that made a deal with Climate Change or the like) to act as revolutionaries, but that's a very hazy idea. With four Courts, independents, Loyalists, and goblins I've got plenty of important fae factions already.

* with serious problems whenever a fight over papers escalates to fireballs.

Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

3D print software: "Part appears to be extremely small and may be in inches format. Would you like to automatically scale to millimeter format?"

Me: ..........nnnnnnoooooooooooo...

Spoiler: 3D print software:
    Show

Spoiler: Me:
    Show
    Now that is quite tiny. (Also SNAP, we use Simplfy too!)

Hope you're having more luck than me today. Changed to a new real last night and today, it keeps blocking whenever I try to print something. (And this is why I never start for four-hour print first thing in the morning.)

It also seemjs to be coming out too thick, y'know, like when you squeeze somethig out of a tube and it expands. Never seen that before.

I managed to get a big chunk pritn ou of it (which in my case is a "large to Huge" creature base size for D&D), but it won't do anything more complex.

And we only juust ordered a new reel last night; and had to get from amazon, since the place we have got it from previously had only TWO types of PLA reel. The actual hell...?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-05-30 at 07:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Now that is quite tiny. (Also SNAP, we use Simplfy too!)

Hope you're having more luck than me today. Changed to a new real last night and today, it keeps blocking whenever I try to print something. (And this is why I never start for four-hour print first thing in the morning.)

It also seemjs to be coming out too thick, y'know, like when you squeeze somethig out of a tube and it expands. Never seen that before.

I managed to get a big chunk pritn ou of it (which in my case is a "large to Huge" creature base size for D&D), but it won't do anything more complex.

And we only juust ordered a new reel last night; and had to get from amazon, since the place we have got it from previously had only TWO types of PLA reel. The actual hell...?
    I love Simplify, it dumbs everything down enough that even I can use it!

Though even converting to mm, it was clearly much too small to actually be useful (it's a pen holder, I figured I'd put one on my desk so people can have their own pen to sign with that I don't have to touch and not have the pens just lie there). I scaled it up significantly, but was more or less guessing, and let it go overnight. Tweezed all the supports out this morning, and... well, I now have a fancy knight to hold the allen wrench I use for maintenance. Gonna have to upscale it some more tonight. So bad luck there, but I feel less bad about wasted filament when it's PLA.

As far as completely failed prints... just cleaned out the right extruder a few days ago, and man, was it bad.
    Spoiler: Cloggy hobbs
    Show

Spoiler: And, for those unfamiliar with 3d printing, here is what that SHOULD look like
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-30 at 11:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

I love Simplify, it dumbs everything down enough that even I can use it!

Though even converting to mm, it was clearly much too small to actually be useful (it's a pen holder, I figured I'd put one on my desk so people can have their own pen to sign with that I don't have to touch and not have the pens just lie there). I scaled it up significantly, but was more or less guessing, and let it go overnight. Tweezed all the supports out this morning, and... well, I now have a fancy knight to hold the allen wrench I use for maintenance. Gonna have to upscale it some more tonight. So bad luck there, but I feel less bad about wasted filament when it's PLA.

As far as completely failed prints... just cleaned out the right extruder a few days ago, and man, was it bad.
    Spoiler: Cloggy hobbs
    Show

Spoiler: And, for those unfamiliar with 3d printing, here is what that SHOULD look like
    Show
    Oof, yeah.

We're not sure what's up with the printer at the moment. I did REALLY get down to the end of the last filament last night (to the point we couldn't remove it), so it might be we need to burn the nozzle out, which Dad will attempt either tomorrow or Monday. (Today, we are having a Social Distancing meet-up in the back garden with my sister. Well, for me in between working (on the Aotrs write-up prior to release).)

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Love triangle? The Spring Court is disappointed Although to be fair, my view of the spring court is much more along the lines of relationship anarchy practising vansurfers than anything.

I'm more concerned with developing four structures that don't all resemble noble courts for variety, so I'm only allowing Summer to fulfil that. Going with a 100000 humans per changeling ratio I can squeeze just over 80000 Changelings in London, assuming that a third of those are Courtiers would still give me thousands of Courtiers per court, which allows me to theoretically do things like making one court a direct or representational democracy (probably Winter or Spring, Summer is very much a traditional noble court including regalia while Autumn is closer to an academic institution*). So at the moment Spring doesn't have much structure beyond a Monarch, Summer has a Monarch overseeing Dukes, who oversee Counts, who oversee Barons who oversee Knights, Autumn has a variety of professors who's actual status varies wildly, and Winter is kind of a blank slate right now (they have a Monarch and some kind of structure, but that's about it, I'm considering having them style themselves a corporation).

I am considering adding in a fifth court (possibly one that made a deal with Climate Change or the like) to act as revolutionaries, but that's a very hazy idea. With four Courts, independents, Loyalists, and goblins I've got plenty of important fae factions already.

* with serious problems whenever a fight over papers escalates to fireballs.
    Well, K'yorl Horlbar is a Chaotic Good Male Lesser Drow Cleric of Ellistraee/Swordsage who dating his girlfriend Balaena Claddath a Chaotic Good Female Lesser Drow Warblade/Wizard who know each other since childhood. K'yorl left his family, friends and Balaena to go on an adventure. During K'yorl adventuring K'yorl met Sariel Everwind a Chaotic Good Female Elf Wizard who was harassed by two male orc barbarians. K'yorl steps in and saves her. So Sariel thank K'yorl and join K'yorl adventure. K'yorl and Sariel was having a romantic connection regardless that K'yorl already has a girlfriend back home.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

So, have you ever had a dream where something appears that makes you look at your own imagination and ask, "Dude! What the hell?" Then you look it up and find out that it's common enough that there's a common interpretation. Weird.

Spoiler: Dream stuff. Probably kind of boring.
    Show
    In this case, in my dream I was in a darkened room with several sort stone pillars. Each of them was draped with a shroud made of dead moths. Putting the correct one on was part of how I could escape the room. Or so I was led to believe, there was some doubt.

Anyway, a shroud made of dead moths? Dead moths? I figured there must be something seriously wrong with me.

Though a quick Googling reveals this:

"To dream of a moth represents a person or situation that is imposing itself on you. Feeling annoyed by someone interfering or intruding on your happiness. Feeling annoyed about having to put up with something. Jealousy that something you like is never as perfectly easy you'd like it to me."

Evidently dead moths also symbolize bad luck? I'm not sure if having some context makes me feel better or worse.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Well, K'yorl Horlbar is a Chaotic Good Male Lesser Drow Cleric of Ellistraee/Swordsage who dating his girlfriend Balaena Claddath a Chaotic Good Female Lesser Drow Warblade/Wizard who know each other since childhood. K'yorl left his family, friends and Balaena to go on an adventure. During K'yorl adventuring K'yorl met Sariel Everwind a Chaotic Good Female Elf Wizard who was harassed by two male orc barbarians. K'yorl steps in and saves her. So Sariel thank K'yorl and join K'yorl adventure. K'yorl and Sariel was having a romantic connection regardless that K'yorl already has a girlfriend back home.
    Urrrrrrrrgh

Sorry, I am just completely sick of Chaotic Good drow, and have been since Drizzt. I know that in the FR there's an official group of CG drow who don't follow the standard character class segregation (noble women=clerics, noble men=fighters/wizards, everybody else=commoners), but still, I feel like I see rebel drow far more than I see original flavour NE drow. The NE drow are much more interesting society-wise, as CG drow quickly devolve into 'like high elves, but with grey skin and innate magical abilities'.

Plus a personal bugbear of mine, remember when two weapon fighting was a drow thing, not a ranger thing? It actually made a lot more sense, like a cultural dueling style they've developed, and due to their lack of pitched battles it's become more common to use in the skirmishes that do happen. Also wasn't it originally sword+dagger or at least long blade+short blade? (My 2e Monstrous manual says dagger+short sword, which makes some sense for tunnel fighting, I'm not sure about earlier editions.) I mean, that's separate to your game, but I still wanted to note it. In fact, the mechanics of two weapon fighting in most editions of D&D make sword+dagger or long sword+short sword suboptimal for two weapon fighting, when as far as I know they're the most common forms (the only actual form I can think of that uses two identical blades is some styles of dao, although I'm sure they're others). Then again, one of the weapons would generally be defensive or specialised (such as a weapon good at getting your opponent's shield out of the way).

Okay, rant over.

Really, I was more making a joke about how the Spring Court in Changeling: the Lost are presented as being very sexually/romantically free, to the point that love triangles are less common than triads, and using that as a jumping off point to talk about what I was doing with the Courts (I've settled on Spring being a direct democracy under a nominal monarch, and Winter as a more corporate structure). This does actually flow into the way the game will hopefully be played, Spring and Summer are presented as the best Courts for players to join due to Autumn being reclusive and Winter keeping a very close eye on it's subjects.

I'm also doing some work on a fantasy setting for my homebrew game, but one of the big notes is that there's no 'drow' as such. While Dark Elves exist, it's mainly a term to refer to those elves who have thrown in with the Void and seek to destroy creation. The bestiary notes that they look identical to normal elves, because they basically are, except for distortion of their auras. Although the default elf look isn't set in stone yet beyond generally darker skin tones.

Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Urrrrrrrrgh

Sorry, I am just completely sick of Chaotic Good drow, and have been since Drizzt. I know that in the FR there's an official group of CG drow who don't follow the standard character class segregation (noble women=clerics, noble men=fighters/wizards, everybody else=commoners), but still, I feel like I see rebel drow far more than I see original flavour NE drow. The NE drow are much more interesting society-wise, as CG drow quickly devolve into 'like high elves, but with grey skin and innate magical abilities'.

Plus a personal bugbear of mine, remember when two weapon fighting was a drow thing, not a ranger thing? It actually made a lot more sense, like a cultural dueling style they've developed, and due to their lack of pitched battles it's become more common to use in the skirmishes that do happen. Also wasn't it originally sword+dagger or at least long blade+short blade? (My 2e Monstrous manual says dagger+short sword, which makes some sense for tunnel fighting, I'm not sure about earlier editions.) I mean, that's separate to your game, but I still wanted to note it. In fact, the mechanics of two weapon fighting in most editions of D&D make sword+dagger or long sword+short sword suboptimal for two weapon fighting, when as far as I know they're the most common forms (the only actual form I can think of that uses two identical blades is some styles of dao, although I'm sure they're others). Then again, one of the weapons would generally be defensive or specialised (such as a weapon good at getting your opponent's shield out of the way).

Okay, rant over.

Really, I was more making a joke about how the Spring Court in Changeling: the Lost are presented as being very sexually/romantically free, to the point that love triangles are less common than triads, and using that as a jumping off point to talk about what I was doing with the Courts (I've settled on Spring being a direct democracy under a nominal monarch, and Winter as a more corporate structure). This does actually flow into the way the game will hopefully be played, Spring and Summer are presented as the best Courts for players to join due to Autumn being reclusive and Winter keeping a very close eye on it's subjects.

I'm also doing some work on a fantasy setting for my homebrew game, but one of the big notes is that there's no 'drow' as such. While Dark Elves exist, it's mainly a term to refer to those elves who have thrown in with the Void and seek to destroy creation. The bestiary notes that they look identical to normal elves, because they basically are, except for distortion of their auras. Although the default elf look isn't set in stone yet beyond generally darker skin tones.
    Well, there's a Chaotic Good Drow Goddess named Ellistraee.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-05-30 at 03:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of Drizzt, I sometimes wonder if this is mean-spirited or not, but the fact that one of his scimitars is named "Icingdeath..." I just keep imagining that he uses it for cutting cake.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

So, have you ever had a dream where something appears that makes you look at your own imagination and ask, "Dude! What the hell?" Then you look it up and find out that it's common enough that there's a common interpretation. Weird.

Spoiler: Dream stuff. Probably kind of boring.
    Show
    In this case, in my dream I was in a darkened room with several sort stone pillars. Each of them was draped with a shroud made of dead moths. Putting the correct one on was part of how I could escape the room. Or so I was led to believe, there was some doubt.

Anyway, a shroud made of dead moths? Dead moths? I figured there must be something seriously wrong with me.

Though a quick Googling reveals this:

"To dream of a moth represents a person or situation that is imposing itself on you. Feeling annoyed by someone interfering or intruding on your happiness. Feeling annoyed about having to put up with something. Jealousy that something you like is never as perfectly easy you'd like it to me."

Evidently dead moths also symbolize bad luck? I'm not sure if having some context makes me feel better or worse.
    Pssh, compared to the some of the insance crap my subconsious comes up with during my meditation, that's nothing, seriously. And without even the lucid dreaming.

The problem with it is I do tend to forget some of the insane crap by the next day (though enough to recall me goig "the HELL, Bleakbane's subconcious?!"); but as a positively benign example, there was that time I dreamed I was alive again and had simultaneously and spontaneously developed HIV and TB and my dream took pains to explictly say "yes, normally it would be completely impossible for you to get AIDS without any sexual transmission, but occasionally it just autonomously manifests." Beause my subconsious mind is just as helpful in constructing plausible exposition as my conscious mind apparently. (Having extracted my (fairly brief) childhood fear of AIDS (in the big scare in the 80s) before Mum took great pains to explain what it was and how I couldn't catch it like, say corona virus (she was a family planning nurse, it was easy) from like twenty-thirty years prior and a lingering uncomfortableness that was prompted by my A levels wherein I learned about multiple drug-resistant TB. Because ONE immune-to--drugs horror was not ENOUGH for me, apparently...) from a good fifteen-twenty prior.)

THAT one even had the fairly reasonable explanation that my Mum had contracted menigetus with on holiday with her borther in Austraila.

The weirder crap seems to come more or less at random.

(One feels, too, that it would not be good for the dream analysers to be having a good look in my head.

"You killed the planet HOW MANY TIMES?!")
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-05-30 at 03:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't think there's anything wrong for a Good-aligned Drow. I mean people can change with their alignment.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-05-30 at 04:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Drizzt, I sometimes wonder if this is mean-spirited or not, but the fact that one of his scimitars is named "Icingdeath..." I just keep imagining that he uses it for cutting cake.
    Cutting fruitcakes into thrown weapons, maybe?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas