New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default The Simpsons Alignments

My read:

Lisa: NG. She's motivated mostly by what's best for everyone, doesn't want to break the rules, but won't abide by them if the rules are wrong.
    Bart: CN. Hates authority, doesn't really work to help or hurt people except for authority figures.
    Homer: NE. Motivated purely by selfishness.
    Marge: LN. Cares little for good or evil, just about reducing conflict, everyone getting along, etc. It doesn't matter if the status quo is bad, it matters that changing the status quo might cause an argument.
    Maggie: TN(baby). An alternate case could be made for CG, given her predilection for shooting mobsters and exploitative bosses, but the majority of episodes she has animal alignment.

So, thoughts? I know with 30 seasons there's plenty of evidence for anything, but that's my general impression of the family, and a good summary of why it's so easy for the family's conflicts to play out so messily.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The Simpsons Alignments

Quote Originally Posted by NotASpiderSwarm View Post
    My read:

Lisa: NG. She's motivated mostly by what's best for everyone, doesn't want to break the rules, but won't abide by them if the rules are wrong.
    Bart: CN. Hates authority, doesn't really work to help or hurt people except for authority figures.
    Marge: LN. Cares little for good or evil, just about reducing conflict, everyone getting along, etc. It doesn't matter if the status quo is bad, it matters that changing the status quo might cause an argument.
    Maggie: TN(baby). An alternate case could be made for CG, given her predilection for shooting mobsters and exploitative bosses, but the majority of episodes she has animal alignment.

So, thoughts? I know with 30 seasons there's plenty of evidence for anything, but that's my general impression of the family, and a good summary of why it's so easy for the family's conflicts to play out so messily.
    There was a Simpson alignment thread a long time ago. This is my take on the Simpson Alignment:

Homer: Chaotic Netural
    Marge: Neutral Good
    Bart: Chaotic Netural
    Lisa: Neutral Good
    Maggie: True Neutral

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Lisa: CG.
    Bart: CN.
    Homer: CN.
    Marge: NG.
    Maggie: TN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Grandpa Simpson: N
    Flanders: LG
    Mona Simpson: CG
    Mr.Burns: NE
    Smithers: LE(LN) (He's fine with assisting any of Mr.Burns' evil plans as long as they're only "everyday villainy" and not "cartoonish supervillainy)
    Krusty: CN
    Sideshow Bob: LE
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Milhouse: Netural Good
    Nelson Muntz: Chaotic Evil
    Martin Prince: Neutral Good
    Patti & Selma: Lawful Evil
    Chief Wiggum: Chaotic Neutral
    Ralph Wiggum: Neutral Good
    Barney: Chaotic Netural
    Moe: True Neutral
    Apu: Neutral Good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Mostly Chaotic Stupid, with a few Lawful KnowItAlls mixed in.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    There was a Simpson alignment thread a long time ago. This is my take on the Simpson Alignment:

Homer: Chaotic Netural
    Marge: Neutral Good
    Bart: Chaotic Netural
    Lisa: Neutral Good
    Maggie: True Neutral
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I think over 30 seasons, the characters are good cases for how alignment doesn't fit the nuances of real people. Lisa has had plenty of moments of selfishness and cruelty while Bart and Homer have also streaks of altruism.

That and the changing of producers and writers on a comedy series makes characters really inconsistent for what's apparently one year in their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NotASpiderSwarm View Post
    My read:

I think most of this is ok apart from Homer. At least in early seasons, while Homer isn't motivated by any real sense of greater good, he does have a selfless streak and will make sacrifices for family, friends or sometimes even complete strangers. Of course he does then go through his "jerkass" phase, so it really depends which season, indeed which episode, you're talking about. But I think overall it's enough to make him neutral rather than evil. As for the Law-Chaos axis, well he's less explicitly anarchic than Bart, but except on very rare occasions he has no real regard for rules, regulations or authority - and Bart certainly didn't get it from Marge. So I'd say he's Chaotic on that line.

If I wanted to be really controversial I'd peg Bart as Lawful. Not because he has any real respect for authority figures, but because he craves a formulaic structure to his life. The occasional daydream aside, he doesn't really want to overthrow the system because he defines himself by his part in it. Whenever Skinner is removed as principal, it's Bart who goes out of the way to get him reinstated, because he can't cope with the change. When there's outright anarchy - either under an ineffective principal or during a teacher's strike - he doesn't know what to do with himself.

And on the one occasion when he gets given responsibility in an authority system (Separate Vocations), he takes to it like a duck to water, and only gives it up to protect Lisa.

Plus, of course, I don't think you can really get to be a chief justice of the Supreme Court without being at least a bit Lawful...

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Krusty: CN
    Sideshow Bob: LE
    Honestly Krusty is such a monster that I'd almost be inclined to peg him as Evil, although really it's more of an extreme selfishness than an active desire to cause others harm.

Sideshow Bob... well, again it varies by appearance. The Bob of Cape Feare or Black Widower, certainly. In many of his other appearances though, other than the petty revenge he takes/plots on Bart and Krusty, he seems to have some idea of a greater good that underpins his actions (and in the episode with Cecil the title of which I forget, he's outright Good). In the twisted world of the Simpsons, it makes him a villain, but in a less cynical universe one could see him as a misunderstood antihero a lot of the time.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2020-05-20 at 11:15 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I think over 30 seasons, the characters are good cases for how alignment doesn't fit the nuances of real people. Lisa has had plenty of moments of selfishness and cruelty while Bart and Homer have also streaks of altruism.
    Which is how it works with real people, too. Being Lawful Good doesn't mean you are always Lawful Good, 100% of the time. Alignment is a label to cover the majority of a person's behavior. Lisa is Good overall, but she does have small bouts of selfishness, just like everyone. It's only if she consistently started acting selfish would her alignment change.

That's why, back in the day, paladins were so hard to play. They had to be LG 100% of the time, every day, all day, which is incredibly difficult to do.