New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1203 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    No, he didn't buy them for Lien, but he will gladly play a game with Lien if she gets bored enough. He will probably give her whatever handicap she wants too. And compose caligraphy and poetry while waiting for her to make her move.
    O-chul never struck me as the calligraphy and poetry type - he is just a fighter with a couple levels of paladin and a very high Constitution score. His charisma isn't amazing, if I remember correctly, and his style seems to be more wisdom than art.
    Check out the guys at MitD's thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I still need to trim it down based on publication date, etc., but for now, it's a start.
    It has almost 21k monsters at the moment.
    ... who says we've run out of monsters to check?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    O-chul never struck me as the calligraphy and poetry type - he is just a fighter with a couple levels of paladin and a very high Constitution score. His charisma isn't amazing, if I remember correctly, and his style seems to be more wisdom than art.
    That makes sense, yeah... knowing Go doesn’t instantly mean “well-cultured”, same as knowing the basic rules of chess doesn’t either. Belkar is a pretty good cook but nobody considers him a man of wealth and taste.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Belkar is a pretty good cook but nobody considers him a man of wealth and taste.
    But he'd kill the tsar and his ministers while someone screamed in vain. On the other hand, given the way that he has responded to NPCs, I can't see him ever saying "Pleased to meet you!"
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-05-28 at 07:53 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    I was more going for "he enjoys Go and is willing to let an inexperienced opponent take their time" than "O-chul is a man of wealth and taste". Also, I had just watched the Avatar episode where Sokka gets a new sword and was asked to learn caligraphy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The singularity is at the center of the black hole, the event horizon is at its "edge". Not the same thing.
    The center of a black hole is a true singularity, but there are also two false or "coordinate" singularities where time reverses (ergosphere) and gravity becomes infinite (event horizon).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    The center of a black hole is a true singularity, but there are also two false or "coordinate" singularities where time reverses (ergosphere) and gravity becomes infinite (event horizon).
    I don't know about the first one, but the event horizon is most definitely *not* where gravity becomes infinite--that's the singularity. The event horizon is where gravity becomes strong enough for light to not escape.

7. - Top - End - #187

Elan must've been pretty good for a game of that to go on for an hour and a half.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    I'm sure Therkla was very entertained. :)
    "Will he break the paladin? Will he? Such finesse, such dramatic tension..."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    Elan must've been pretty good for a game of that to go on for an hour and a half.
    By "like that", he might have meant just the "taking turns strategically, like in That".
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-05-28 at 11:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't know about the first one, but the event horizon is most definitely *not* where gravity becomes infinite--that's the singularity. The event horizon is where gravity becomes strong enough for light to not escape.
    I’m pretty sure that’s not what an ergosphere is either. Also time doesn’t reverse inside a black hole but ‘the future’ becomes ‘closer to the singularity’.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #190

My first post about singularities probably should have been in blue, since it's technically true, but specious to the point of being a lie. And any further discussion is just silly semantics.

The gravity does in fact go to infinity at the event horizon. The surface gravity does not, and remains finite until you get to a true mass singularity. "Surface gravity" is before taking time dilation into account and works almost exactly like Newtonian gravity.

Also, yes time doesn't actually reverse inside an ergosphere. The equations do say that temporal component of the spacetime metric becomes negative, but that really only implies the impossibility of staying still in such a place.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    No, no; that one's Escape Artist.

Want to squeeze through a two-inch gap? Don't worry, DC 80 and your head will fit! Want to squeeze through a wall of force? No problem, DC 120 and you can find a gap that would mean the spell would have failed if it existed!
    I do not see these as fundamentally different as Evasion, that there are gaps that in the swirling blast of fire or in the wall or in the forcefield that simple inspection would indicate do not exist, yet are exploitable by someone with a level of skill that is indistinguishable from magic.

For a Wall of Force, it is literally the least solid thing that exists, arguably even less solid than a wind wall. Only it seems perfectly solid under most conditions.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I do not see these as fundamentally different as Evasion, that there are gaps that in the swirling blast of fire or in the wall or in the forcefield that simple inspection would indicate do not exist, yet are exploitable by someone with a level of skill that is indistinguishable from magic.
    That would have been a better approach than "getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit; this can be as small as 2 inches square for Medium-size creatures", yes.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I know we must have covered this already, but the flashback scenes with the Scribbles and the Gates were done in crayon, indicating an unreliable narrator, right? So even though the flashback scenes have matched up fairly well to the actual geometries of each Gate and its surroundings, that doesn't have to be true for Serini's Gate.

Though if Serini was able to have interdimensional stone thrown around like the Burj Khalifa uses concrete---despite the cost being high enough that the dwarven builders felt it necessary to cut corners on the Tomb's construction---nothing says the Gate can't be buried under a few hundred feet of the stuff. I.e., it was at ground-level, like in the crayon drawing, and then Serini's dwarves showed up and raised the ground.
    It actually seems to me that the dwarven contractors cut corners on Dorukan's Dungeon in the Redmountain Hills, given the general environment and Dorukan and Lirian looking on in the background, and not Kraagor's Tomb.

In the subsequent strip (#277), we get a flashback to Serini directing the delivery of creatures to her stronghold under construction, but there's no indication as to who is doing the work. And unless I'm highly mistaken, doesn't it generally take wizards to produce and form something like "multidimensional stone", and dwarves aren't overly fond of wizardry?
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    In the subsequent strip (#277), we get a flashback to Serini directing the delivery of creatures to her stronghold under construction, but there's no indication as to who is doing the work. And unless I'm highly mistaken, doesn't it generally take wizards to produce and form something like "multidimensional stone", and dwarves aren't overly fond of wizardry?
    I'm pretty sure magical smithing and architecture is okay for dwarves.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #195

It actually seems to me that the dwarven contractors cut corners on Dorukan's Dungeon in the Redmountain Hills, given the general environment and Dorukan and Lirian looking on in the background, and not Kraagor's Tomb.
    Its pretty clearly a reference to Dorukan's Dungeon, they mention the missing Water Dungeon that protects the Amulet Nale was looking for and the gate not being completely covered (also being in the basement but this could apply to the gates of Girard and Serini).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm pretty sure magical smithing and architecture is okay for dwarves.
    True. I guess I forget that OotS-world is not subject to the same species norms and lore as other D&D universes.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

17. - Top - End - #197

True. I guess I forget that OotS-world is not subject to the same species norms and lore as other D&D universes.
    I can't think of a setting in which Dwarves weren't okay with doing magical smithing and architecture themselves, though I don't doubt that they exist. Not too keen on doing other kinds of magic, and resistant to being the targets of other people using magic, yes.

18. - Top - End - #198

SolithKnightGuy

That seems to have been a development of fantasy writers who have tended to give them a Scandinavian vibe of horned helmets and axes and distrust of magic/use of magical weapons.
    This also ties on with the tendency to make elves overtly magical especially in their culture. Concomitant with that is dwarves focusing on clerical magic for their magical needs.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

You're right. And thanks for the link, because it made me realize that in the flashback, we consistently see pine trees and pretty substantial hills around Serini's and Kraggor's rift. But we don't see any close hills or trees in the shots that pan around Kraagor's statue. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1039.html
    And we see some very low hills in the distance when Oona first flies into the bugbear village, but the hills aren't as close as in the crayon drawings. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1036.html

So where did the hills and trees go?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    You're right. And thanks for the link, because it made me realize that in the flashback, we consistently see pine trees and pretty substantial hills around Serini's and Kraggor's rift. But we don't see any close hills or trees in the shots that pan around Kraagor's statue. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1039.html
    And we see some very low hills in the distance when Oona first flies into the bugbear village, but the hills aren't as close as in the crayon drawings. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1036.html

So where did the hills and trees go?
    Clearly(?), Kragoor's statue and the bugbear village are on the outskirts of the hills, so they only show up on certain angles; and the bugbears cut down the trees to make the village's buildings.

Or Shojo's retelling involves his best approximation of the locale, because he probably wouldn't need to send the Order to check on rifts if the Sapphire Guard would do so themselves.

Or maybe both!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Or Shojo's retelling involves his best approximation of the locale, because he probably wouldn't need to send the Order to check on rifts if the Sapphire Guard would do so themselves.
    It's definitely not this one because the whole point of recruiting the Order was to have them check on the gates, the Sapphire Guard had that pesky oath keeping them from checking them out.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

People have mentioned Stone Shape is a thing... so the ravine was probably built that way. Whether or not it was built over the Gate or not is an entirely different question entirely.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I can't think of a setting in which Dwarves weren't okay with doing magical smithing and architecture themselves, though I don't doubt that they exist. Not too keen on doing other kinds of magic, and resistant to being the targets of other people using magic, yes.
    Actually, looking back through my old AD&D books, I see that dwarves were flat-out barred from being magic users, and PC dwarves were barred from being clerics. NPC dwarf clerics maxed out at 8th level. All of the non-human races were unlimited as thieves, and pretty much only as thieves -- half-elves were unlimited as druids. Half-orcs were limited as thieves but unlimited as assassins.

Officially. I don't recall ever seeing a group that paid attention to those rules. The game designers were trying to make the game human-centric, and make up for the non-humans' special abilities, but the whole "all high-level non-humans are thieves" came off as skeevy-racist.

People have mentioned Stone Shape is a thing... so the ravine was probably built that way. Whether or not it was built over the Gate or not is an entirely different question entirely.
    Stone Shape can mould only 10 ft3 + 1 ft3/level. I don't think it's likely that the ravine was built that way unless there's some way of escalating the spell's scope by many orders of magnitude.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-05-28 at 10:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

They changed how level limits worked in 2E, since I played a dwarf fighter-cleric that was as close as I could get to paladin. Honestly, I think the intention was that demihumans would all multiclass, which would spread out their XP so far they'd have trouble getting to the level limits.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They changed how level limits worked in 2E, since I played a dwarf fighter-cleric that was as close as I could get to paladin. Honestly, I think the intention was that demihumans would all multiclass, which would spread out their XP so far they'd have trouble getting to the level limits.
    Yeesh, I’m starting to think D&D racism was even worse than in 3.5e. At least the “common” humanoid races didn’t get screwed over that much.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #206

Eh, they were still trying to balance wargame units. Despite the game having left all that behind almost immediately.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    That seems to have been a development of fantasy writers who have tended to give them a Scandinavian vibe of horned helmets and axes and distrust of magic/use of magical weapons.
    This also ties on with the tendency to make elves overtly magical especially in their culture. Concomitant with that is dwarves focusing on clerical magic for their magical needs.
    What it might come down to is that dwarves and elves traditionally distrust each other in fantasy, and since the elves are the magical types, in order to make dwarves as opposite as possible they don't use magic. Note that Tolkien never made any distinction like this, but then, Tolkien's fantasy world is actually very low-magic, so people not using magic doesn't mark them out as special in any way.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    What it might come down to is that dwarves and elves traditionally distrust each other in fantasy, and since the elves are the magical types, in order to make dwarves as opposite as possible they don't use magic. Note that Tolkien never made any distinction like this, but then, Tolkien's fantasy world is actually very low-magic, so people not using magic doesn't mark them out as special in any way.
    That makes sense, plus even Gandalf, one of the greatest spellcasters in the series, is competent in melee combat. It’s different from D&D where even the most non-magical adventurer wants some kind of magic item.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

That makes sense, plus even Gandalf, one of the greatest spellcasters in the series, is competent in melee combat. It’s different from D&D where even the most non-magical adventurer wants some kind of magic item.
    In Tolkien the best smiths are elves who have been smithing since they were born some time in the first age. They have literally thousands of years of experience. The next best smiths are dwarves, who naturally live to about 250.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #210

Gandalf is kind of a special case. The five wizards ("the Istari") are incarnated Maiar -- essentially, equivalent to high-level angels, subordinate to the Valar, who are equivalent to archangels in the hierarchy of beings. Their mandate is to encourage the beings of Middle-Earth and support them in their battle with Sauron, but to keep a relatively low profile themselves. At the time of LotR, the Istari are thousands of years old, not counting their time prior to incarnation. They've had the time to pick up some skills, and again, they're supposed to use their non-mundane power sparingly.