New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar The Last Air Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'd be disappointed and concerned if I ever had any hope or good expectations for this adaptation.
    I had hope. The hope involved friends, booze, and a series just slightly better than the movie to make it So Bad It's Good.

But considering that 'broader appeal' is probably that brought us 'Artemis Fowl the Well Intentioned Surfer Kid' I'm probably just going to write it off. Not like the series is likely going to last compared to the cartoon anyway.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-08-13 at 03:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    That the original creators of the show pulled out definitely isn't a good sign, especially since this show was billed as being a relatively-faithful live-action adaptation of the original.

Wonder what changes Netflix is planning on making to "appeal to a wider audience" or whatnot. Hopefully the massive uptick of appreciation for the original show since it came to Netflix will dissuade them from anything too radical.
    It is possible that Netflix wants no changes and the guys wanted some (as they had already produced the show without changes once before).
    i.e This show, but in live action - that is it that is the mandate, no scene changed, no dialogue changed, no nothing changed - just live action.
    Which might be fairly boring if you had already made that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ...but there is one thing it's got going for it: it can't be any worse than the movie.
    Things can always get worse - worse is one of those things where you can always find new levels of it if you are willing to put in the effort and try.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Things can always get worse - worse is one of those things where you can always find new levels of it if you are willing to put in the effort and try.
    I mean, I think the only way the adaptation can get worse than the movie is if they kill off the entire cast in the first five minutes, and then the rest of the show is Ozai personally saying "F*** you" to each and every fan of the show by name. Like, he just pulls up a list on his phone and spends the next 30 episodes going "F*** you, Steve from Wichita. F*** you, Mary from Sheboygan."

On the other hand, that might still be more entertaining than the movie...
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I mean, I think the only way the adaptation can get worse than the movie is if they kill off the entire cast in the first five minutes, and then the rest of the show is Ozai personally saying "F*** you" to each and every fan of the show by name. Like, he just pulls up a list on his phone and spends the next 30 episodes going "F*** you, Steve from Wichita. F*** you, Mary from Sheboygan."

No, worse than the movie would be the seven hour script, with the exact same actors, bit Iroh has been written out, and a Suki/Sokka/Yue cuddles scene added in.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I expect that the adaptation might well be very high-quality in terms of special effects, budget, costumes and acting, but that it will be devoid of anything that made the original what it was. And the first part isn't a guarantee. Didn't Netflix's Iron Fist have a notoriously crappy fight choreography despite the main character's power being super kung-fu?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

So I now have zero faith in that show, but there is one thing it's got going for it: it can't be any worse than the movie.
    Why would you challenge them like that?

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I expect that the adaptation might well be very high-quality in terms of special effects, budget, costumes and acting, but that it will be devoid of anything that made the original what it was. And the first part isn't a guarantee. Didn't Netflix's Iron Fist have a notoriously crappy fight choreography despite the main character's power being super kung-fu?
    That's because Finn Jones basically went from his previous series to Iron Fist without several months for conditioning, training and practice. You can see things improve during the series, as he starts to catch up. Basically, NetFlix screwed up by deciding to rush the release schedule.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Why would you challenge them like that?
    It's like challenging the world to land on the moon in less than a decade. Probably won't happen, but if it does, it'll be one hell of a spectacle.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #189
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    But considering that 'broader appeal' is probably that brought us 'Artemis Fowl the Well Intentioned Surfer Kid' I'm probably just going to write it off. Not like the series is likely going to last compared to the cartoon anyway.
    ...glad I missed that, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post

"And a very special **** you to Mark Hall from San Antonio."

I would be so. goddamned. jazzed.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Colossus in the Playground

A urther update: that information above was first "delivered" by a notorious sexual abuser who would know nothing about the actual real information. It's just a fake article for money.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    A urther update: that information above was first "delivered" by a notorious sexual abuser who would know nothing about the actual real information. It's just a fake article for money.
    What information above?

12. - Top - End - #192

... okay so in my defense I'm an idiot, and thought people were talking about the article that got posted recently that allegedly detailed some of the reasons WHY the original creators backed out. My apologies.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

And there is much rejoicing for now that Korra is on netflix people are starting to post Korra / JK Simmon memes on my twitter
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ... okay so in my defense I'm an idiot, and thought people were talking about the article that got posted recently that allegedly detailed some of the reasons WHY the original creators backed out. My apologies.
    Do you mean Fandomwire article? I cannot find who is the author, it is credited to the fandowire staff. Admittingly it does lsit things that are plausible, Netflix wanting colorblind casting or make the show darker, edgier and sexier are popular theories why bryke bolted out of the live-action adaptation, alongside a theory it's because Netflix wants to make Zutara happen. And seeing how first photos of Netflix's The Watch series look like they turned that into gritty and sexy take on Pratchett's books, I could see them doing it to Avatar as well. Tbh seeing how much bullmanure Bryke took from netflix on korra and still didn't quit, it means it must been something serious that made them quit on Netflix show.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Do you mean Fandomwire article? I cannot find who is the author, it is credited to the fandowire staff. Admittingly it does lsit things that are plausible, Netflix wanting colorblind casting or make the show darker, edgier and sexier are popular theories why bryke bolted out of the live-action adaptation, alongside a theory it's because Netflix wants to make Zutara happen. And seeing how first photos of Netflix's The Watch series look like they turned that into gritty and sexy take on Pratchett's books, I could see them doing it to Avatar as well. Tbh seeing how much bullmanure Bryke took from netflix on korra and still didn't quit, it means it must been something serious that made them quit on Netflix show.
    That is what I mean, and that article and video were made by Andy Signore, a former member of Screen Junkies who was excised for being a sexual harasser and such. FandomWire is also a known clickbait site that makes a lot of wild claims, inaccurate, and downright false claims.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-08-15 at 07:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Netflix said that you must make Zutara canon, and the show creators said no. Let the shipping wars commence!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    stuff
    Hol' up. They're making a Watch series? Now there's a bloody challenge. I thought Pratchett was unfilmable before Good Omens, and honestly, I mostly still do.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

On the matter of "broader appeal"...

Avatar was never that well-received by China or Japan, right? I could see a ton of changes being made if they're trying to capture those markets.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Netflix said that you must make Zutara canon, and the show creators said no. Let the shipping wars commence!

If that's true, then they may actually have found a way to make it worse than the movie. Throwing in an unnecessary love triangle and more focus on the romance of 12 year olds. Worse, this kind of bad isn't even the fun to watch kind of bad.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Hol' up. They're making a Watch series? Now there's a bloody challenge. I thought Pratchett was unfilmable before Good Omens, and honestly, I mostly still do.
    There are several good live action Discworld adaptations. Hogfather is especially good.

The Watch series does not seem as though it will join their company.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-08-15 at 04:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Well, they're making a series with characters that share names with the Watch. The promo material released regarding it so far does not inspire confidence that the actual show will have much else in common with the theoretical source at all - it's looking like 'loosely inspired by' territory.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Don't mind me. Just crying while watching Iroh's tale in Tales of Ba Sing Se.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Don't mind me. Just crying while watching Iroh's tale in Tales of Ba Sing Se.
    Oh jeez that was the saddest.

Spoiler: Jojo Rabbit spoilers
    Show
    Right up there with Rosie.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh jeez that was the saddest.

Spoiler: Jojo Rabbit spoilers
    Show
    Right up there with Rosie.
    Y'know. Jojo Rabbit was not a movie I thought was going to be good. But it was surprisingly good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Y'know. Jojo Rabbit was not a movie I thought was going to be good. But it was surprisingly good.
    I keep trying to tell everyone!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Korra was weird, it took 3 whole seasons for the protagonist to show up!

[Laughtrack]

I do wonder how much better it couldve been if nickolodeon was less horrible in dealing with them.

I love ATLA, but i have some criticisms to how it handles a few subjects. Same subjects pmuch fuel the entire Korra series and are why im disappointed with it.
    Despite everything, its still me.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Just started Korra. Two episodes in, so they're still introducing the show. I find myself not bothered the world is so modern in comparison to Avatar's fantasy mysticism. I suppose the overall story is more important to me than the world's mythology. I understand how someone who was really into the Bending mythology would be upset with what Legend of Korra does. It's definitely not the same show. I do like Avatar, but it doesn't have mythic status to me to be bothered by a change in atmosphere. I compare that to Star Trek where I do care such that I don't like and won't watch the new movies nor Picard nor Discovery. I like both brothers so far. Mako is supposed to be the obstructionist, but he's not really being a jerk at least so far. It's a good thing for me to like the main characters. Leave my dislike for the villains whom I want to root against.

It's an obvious move, but since it is a kids' show the irony of Korra struggling with Air Bending works. I wonder if we ever do find out about Zuko's mother, the Avatar cliffhanger mentioned in the first episode but interrupted. So far so good I'm liking the show. I hope I continue to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    It's an obvious move, but since it is a kids' show the irony of Korra struggling with Air Bending works. I wonder if we ever do find out about Zuko's mother, the Avatar cliffhanger mentioned in the first episode but interrupted.
    Not in Korra. Side materials covered Zuko's mother before Korra was ever made.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

The comics are really good, I would have loved to see them animated.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Avatar: The Last Airbender is now accessible for blind audiences on Netflix with audio descriptions... pass it on 😎