New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Planescape: Full Circle - IC

The heavy wooden door (which upon close examination contains a layer of lead) seems secure. Though the lock could no doubt be picked by a skilled rogue, there's a bolt as well. Of course, the door could be broken through by a determined attacker. There's a window to the room, but heavy shutters close to create a sealed and hopefully scry-proof room.

The night passes without incident.

Joel says "If we have a lead on the guy who killed me, it'd be a shame to waste it. Even if he's not involved with the rakshasas, I'd like to get him back. Maybe we could hire someone to stake out the shop. Though, we are still short of jink.

As for the dispel magic attempts, I could give it a try, or would one of you feel like you have a better shot?"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As Dannos returns, Adamant shakes his head in disappointment. "That's fairly inconvenient, but perhaps in the morning." With that, he returns to resting, being awoken to take his shift.

In the morning, Adamant shrugs at Joel's offer to dispel. "I don't have a copy of dispel to cast either. But we should hold off, until we've visited the Golden Bell this morning. I'd bet the half-orc'll be visiting in the morning."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

"Do we have time to stake out this merchant? If it is the same one and he is going to come back, I can wait for him, track him back to his abode and we can come back later to ask him questions in a less than gentle way. Unless we decide we need to get moving."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says "We don't have time to spend on a stakeout. However ... the rakshasas are probably on a tight schedule too. If they know the job wasn't finished on me, they'll want to head us off or beat us there. I think they would want to be there when their Raja breaks free, as well, to offer him their allegiance.

Which leads me to think that if the axe guy is working with them, he may indeed want to stop by the store in the morning, because like us they could soon be heading to Baator. So we might catch him ..."

OOC: Where will you go first: The Golden Bell, or the Styx Oarsman?

5. - Top - End - #245

GreenSorcererElf

Looking back and forth, Adamant nods. "Then let's visit the Golden Bell. See if the orc's been there. And hope to encounter him. Dannos, it might be best if you lead, quietly."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

"We don't know if they know Joel is back but yes it is safer to assume so. Shouldn't we keep him out of sight just in case? I don't exactly blend in a crowd, so tell me where you want me."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

7. - Top - End - #247

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant nods. "Dannos, as the one who can avoid notice, leads, while the rest of us follow far enough back to not be seen."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed. Give me a 5 minute lead before following. I'll scout ahead and watch. Once you guys get to the Golden Bell, we can all enter if I haven't spied him yet."

Spoiler
    Show

Dannos
    HP - 99 Current 64
    AC - 20 Current 20/T13/FF18
    The night before rest he uses the rest of his charges on his belt to heal.
    (2d8)[16] and (2d8)[8]

If no one object to his plan, he moves out, turning invisible as he leaves the Black Sails.

Hide
    (1d20+24)[25] +20 for invisibility

Spot
    (1d20+18)[28]

Listen
    (1d20+16)[33]

Effects~
    Swift and Silent(Feat) : No Penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when you move at your normal speed.
    Invisibility : At-will; If you are invisible, you gain a +40 bonus on Hide checks if you are immobile, or a +20 bonus on Hide checks if you’re moving.
    Primal Speed (24 hours) - You gain a +5 resistance bonus on Reflex saves and a +10-foot enhancement bonus to all your speeds.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Putting the matter of the scrolls on the back burner for now, the party heads to the Golden Bell, with Dannos scouting ahead. With the local light level rapidly rising this 'morning' in Sigil, you try to make it over there quickly.

As the half-giant makes his way under cover of invisibility, he passes a variety of pedestrians, many of them already grimy from the soot that settles over the Lower Ward.

When he catches sight of the Golden Bell, he can hardly believe his luck, as he sees a figure in familiar plate armor enter the shop - and leave a skeleton clad in studded leather armor stationed outside! At least that is a step down from the chain shirt that the prior skeleton had worn ...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Continuing to keep to the shadows, Dannos prepares to follow the half-orc if he leaves before the rest of the group catches up to him.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Dannos
    Show
    Soon the armored man emerges with a familiar-looking axe and hands it to the skeleton.

You follow them, and eventually, the pair enters a windowless rectangular building.

When Adamant, Avakuss, and Joel arrive at the Golden Bell, there is no sign of Dannos.
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-09-27 at 08:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the lack of Dannos, Adamant pauses, and looks around, seeking any signs of struggle, Dannos, half-orcs, or skeletons.

(1d20+1)[20] spot
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Adamant sees no sign of a recent struggle, or of the creatures he looked for.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos, following the pair, waits a few moments outside the building before hustling back to the Golden Bell, dropping his invisilibity when he catches sight of the group. Huffing had puffing a bit, he says "Found him... with another skeletal cohort. Come on, we can talk a plan on the way." the half-giant says as he turns around and goes backthe way he came. "New skeleton in leather instead of chain, so he must be running low on resources. Question is, do we wait for him to exit and ambush him or figure out his room and kick in the door?"

15. - Top - End - #255

GreenSorcererElf

As Dannos returns, Adamant offers him a quick nod of respect as he explains. After he finishes, Adamant follows silently(Well, apart from that soft whispering that always seems to be around him, and the clanking.) for a few seconds, before answering. "Time is the one thing we don't have."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #256

"Picking a fight here in Sigil can get us Mazed remember and we have plans elsewhere. We know where he went to, can follow up later."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"What do you say, Joel? Get the bastich that killed you or deal with overarching evil?" Dannos says.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel ponders. "Tough one. We may not get this chance again, and he might be a lead to the rakshasas.

On the other hand, what's at stake is much bigger than a personal vendetta. Also, he slipped away last time, and if he does that again he might warn our enemies that I'm alive. He knows now that he's not a match for the group of us, so I think fleeing would be his first move.

Reluctantly, I think we should leave him for another day."

The group proceeds onward, with the Styx Oarsman now the apparent destination.

However, as you walk through the smoggy streets, you get the feeling that someone is watching you, but you don't see anyone doing so.

Shortly after that, a group of six ogres looms when you turn a corner and they rapidly approach you, drawing their huge* greatclubs. They are clad in half-plate armor.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    Not just a figure of speech: the clubs are sized appropriately for Huge creatures, while the ogres are only Large in size. This suggests training in the use of oversize weapons, which most ogres would not have had.

One of the ogres tells you in a deep voice "Yesterday, I was outnumbered and fled my post. I did not know what you were up to. This time, we won't back down. You went through the gate. Why?"

19. - Top - End - #259

Avakuss, still behind the others, speaks up. "Your post? Who told you to watch this useless spot? He must not think much of you. We're just passing through here. Not looking for trouble. You don't want to get your boss in trouble right? You'd be out of a job, and worse! Just let us through and we won't tell anyone."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Silently without visible cues, activate Inertial Armor. 11PP, +9AC for 11 hours.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant leans back, and speaks to Avakuss. "I think this must be the drunk ogre our employer at the time told to begone."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The ogre brandishes his club and tells Avakuss “Shut up and answer my question!”

22. - Top - End - #262

Avakuss kept a calm voice and straight face. "Make up your mind, do you want me to be quiet or to talk? Regardless, who gave you authority to bother us?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The ogre glares. "We serve the Elder Elemental Eye. Do you, or should we smash you?"

Spoiler: Knowledge (religion) DC 25
    Show
    That is one of Tharizdun's guises.

24. - Top - End - #264

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant shakes his head. "No, we don't, and no, you don't want to smash us. If you want to know why we were there, ask our employer, the one who dismissed your drunken self."
    As he speaks, he draws his sword, the blackened steel highlighted by the soft green glow of the magical acid, and prepares to receive the ogre's charge.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

(1d20-2)[10] Whichever social you feel is appropriate
    Since I think combat be happening pretty soon...
    (1d20+1)[13] initiative
    Maneuvers
    (1d7)[6]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d5)[1]
    (1d4)[1]
    (1d3)[3]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #265

Show
    Fight started before this so ignore...
    "No, you really don't want to smash us. You are used you picking on smaller people." Avakuss draws his greatsword, as he raises it over his shoulder the sword and goliath grows to a size dwarfing the ogres. "Well, so am I. Now move along. Even if smash us you'll get Mazed. Our boss has the connections to make it happen. I think you're cutter enough to know how bad that is. Isn't another drink better sound better?"

Show
    Draw sword and use Expansion to grow to huge size (sword to Gargantuan) without psionic visible effect (beyond the growth part). 7PP, 11 rounds. Since I'm in the back, my size growth will be away from the group but with 15' reach.
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[24]

How large is the area? 6x ogres take up a lot of space.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2020-10-04 at 08:30 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The ogre replies "Maybe can't smash, will see. Want to smash? Pretty sure I do."

As Adamant draws his sword, the ogres prepare to attack. There is no doubt that combat has all but begun.

OOC: Initiative:

Adamant 13
    Ogres (1d20+3)[11]
    Joel (1d20+6)[9]
    Dannos (1d20)[9]
    Avakuss (1d20+1)[2] Note: If you still want to use Expansion, it will occur at this point.
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-10-04 at 07:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

OOC: I don't see the sides as starting that close together. 20' seems more reasonable. Everyone IC is well aware that men armed with melee weapons can be more dangerous up close. Sorry for not specifying this earlier.

If Adamant still wants to approach the ogres and make a standard action attack, he won't draw an AOO since they are flat-footed.

Code:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      J A    1144
      K D    2255
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

J = Joel
    A = Adamant
    K = Avakuss
    D = Dannos
    # = Ogre (the leader is #2)
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-10-04 at 09:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

GreenSorcererElf

With the ogres out of easy reach, Adamant quickly chants a spell, and form seems to blur. Moments later, he steps forward, his sword at the ready, clearly ready to demonstrate to the ogres why attacking them was a bad idea.

Show

Casting Blur
    Stepping 5 feet forward

Spoiler: Status
    Show

AC 27(26 effectively, as he is flat footed.)
    Blur active(20% concealment)
    128 HP
    DR 10/Evil, Resistance Acid 10
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2020-10-04 at 11:05 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

"Sodding leatherhead won't be happy until he's in boxes and pieces... doesn't realize he's got a tanar'ri's chance in Nessus." Dannos calls out as he draws his swords and quickly incants.

Spoiler
    Show

HP - 99 Current 99
    AC - 20 Current 20/T13/FF18

Move action to pull swords.

Standard action -
    Drop Curse of Impending Blades, Mass between 2 & 5, which should get them all.
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    The subjects takes a -2 penalty to AC.

Effects~
    Swift and Silent(Feat) : No Penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when you move at your normal speed.
    Invisibility : At-will; If you are invisible, you gain a +40 bonus on Hide checks if you are immobile, or a +20 bonus on Hide checks if you’re moving.
    Nemesis(BE 44) (Arcanists) : Detect presence of favored enemies.
    Primal Speed (24 hours) - You gain a +5 resistance bonus on Reflex saves and a +10-foot enhancement bonus to all your speeds.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Clobberin' Time

Though one might have thought the ogres would attack in a rage, these ogres appear far more disciplined and well-trained in fighting than most of their kind. However, while most ogres carry javelins in addition to their clubs, these ogres lack them ... perhaps, like the cultists Rule of Three spoke of, they recently fled a losing battle on the Prime ... The ones in back try to compensate for this disadvantage by moving to attack with their somewhat comically Huge clubs, with one passing the leader, and one hanging back in confused frustration as his usual combat tactics seem precluded.

Ogres:
    #1 charges vs Adamant AC 27: Attack (1d20+20)[32]; 20% miss (1d100)[13]; damage (3d8+17)[29]; DR applies
    #2 charges vs Adamant AC 27: Attack (1d20+20)[22]; 20% miss (1d100)[2]; damage (3d8+17)[32]; DR applies
    #5 moves and attacks vs Adamant AC 27: Attack (1d20+18)[31]; 20% miss (1d100)[9]; damage (3d8+17)[30]; DR applies

#3 charges vs Avakuss AC 24 ff: Attack (1d20+20)[31]; damage (3d8+17)[34]; DR applies

#6 charges vs Dannos AC 18 ff: Attack (1d20+20)[36]; damage (3d8+17)[31]; DR applies

#4 readies an action to charge in if an ally falls.

Code:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
           11  44
      J  A 11  44
      K D5522    
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

J = Joel
    A = Adamant
    K = Avakuss
    D = Dannos
    # = Ogre (the leader is #2)