GnomePirate

Default Re: Giantitps favourite dnd setting

Spelljammer then Darksun

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

MTG Plane Shift.
    Is that an option?
    I will vote for that one since I don't think anyone else is.
    There is some neat stuff there.

If I can't do that, then just put Homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
    I prefer Forgotten Realms, and i (shock!) consider Planescape and Spelljammer to be effectively part of it rather than their own settings entirely.
    Planescape doesn't use anything like the Forgotten Realms cosmology
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer Forgotten Realms, and i (shock!) consider Planescape and Spelljammer to be effectively part of it rather than their own settings entirely.
    With that loose a definition (in that it uses the great wheel) it's derivative of Greyhawk, not Forgotten Realms, and all votes for FR should go to Greyhawk instead ;)

Because there's a seven year gap between their publication dates, and with Spelljammer and Planescape's worldbuilding being integrated into both, the oldest one assumes prime place then, no?

Or you can go with settings that canonically don't connect with Planescape and Spelljammer, like Eberron (my vote)
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Depends on the edition, no?
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know what to vote for.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The planet Toril of Forgotten Realms, along with the planets Oerth of Greyhawk and Krynn of Dragonlance, is part of the Prime Material Plane as described by Spelljammer, which is in turn part of the Great Wheel as explored in Planescape.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    Depends on the edition, no?
    Indeed, Forgotten Realms has changed cosmologies at least three times:
    2e Great Wheel
    3e World Tree
    4e World Axis
    5e Great Wheel

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I don't know what to vote for.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The planet Toril of Forgotten Realms, along with the planets Oerth of Greyhawk and Krynn of Dragonlance, is part of the Prime Material Plane as described by Spelljammer, which is in turn part of the Great Wheel as explored in Planescape.

It might the other way around, but it doesn't have to be. The 5th edition adventure Out of the Abyss takes place in the Underdark under the Sword Coast and related areas. It involves several portals to the Abyss, an NPC devoted to the dark god in the Demiplane of Imprisonment, and a group of left-behind modrons from the last march. It is definitely compatible with Planescape, but it's also just as clearly set in the Forgotten Realms. Even if the small bucket of Faerun fits into the bigger bucket of Planejammer, the links to the bigger metasettings are incidental to the world the adventure is occurring in.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Already put this in the other thread but tippyverse with other stuff mixed in from other campaign settings
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eberron for sure. I've read just about every other setting and none of them make D&D make sense in the world the way Eberron does. I have no plans to consider playing anything other than Eberron or a custom world.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adso View Post
    Eberron for sure. I've read just about every other setting and none of them make D&D make sense in the world the way Eberron does. I have no plans to consider playing anything other than Eberron or a custom world.
    Cuts to the heart of Eberron's greatness right there. People see surface elements, but Eberron is a world where the core races are stripped back to their base stats and the fluff FOLLOWS from what they can do, rather than the fluff existing and then the stats being pegged in.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Mystara / Known World. Also goes hand in hand with my favorite D&D rule set, BECMI.

Runners up are Dark Sun and Spelljammer.

Least favorite was Planescape. They took the wonderful mysteries of the Planes and made it boring, accessible, and annoying. Berk this berk that. Plus the art was garbage.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Spamalot in the Playground

Assuming the question is restricted to "published settings" - Golarion is my personal favorite due to all the genres and plot sizes I can run there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

It did back when Forgotten Realms used the Great Wheel and they were officialy part of the same setting as all the other world supported at the same time.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Plus the art was garbage.
    You did not just say that. You can insult the setting all you want, it had plenty of problems, but di Terlizzi made the best art D&D ever had.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You did not just say that. You can insult the setting all you want, it had plenty of problems, but di Terlizzi made the best art D&D ever had.
    Oh please. Hands down Elmore.

Planescape art was just a bunch of scribbling.

16. - Top - End - #46

Elmore? Really? I almost found those super weird. Terlizzi is pretty much the only D&D artist I know who actually put some character into his... characters. They don't just stand there looking vaguely grim or serious or heroic.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Elmore sometimes ("A Murder", "Avalyne the Life Giver", "Ancient Powers"), but he has a tendency towards oily muscles and TnA that I find a bit silly and offputting. DiTerlizzi's work is just filled with personality even if I don't love the color style.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spelljammer, then Dark Sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Spelljammer then Darksun
    I'm going to have to agree with both of these highly-cultured gentlefolk who happen to have exquisite taste when it comes to campaign settings.

As far as Elmore vs DiTerlizzi, I like them both. But don't forget about Brom!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Elmore? Really? I almost found those super weird. Terlizzi is pretty much the only D&D artist I know who actually put some character into his... characters. They don't just stand there looking vaguely grim or serious or heroic.
    Character doesn't make up for bargain basement art. They clearly went with it because it was the cheapest artist they could find.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

My own homebrew. Followed by Eberron.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Spelljammer and the implied setting of the AD&D 1e modules. Yes, including Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and those others.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

While I've only seen the original boxed set, the Planescape art is wonderfully evocative and better than some of the other bits of 2e art I've seen (I'm not going to name artists because I don't care).

I'm going to just throw in my favourite setting element that I tend to port over to homebrew worlds: Birthright dwarves tend to have neatly cropped beards. This makes so much sense to me, it stops the beard from getting in the way during work or catching on anything, and it makes long beards (and hair) a potential status symbol saying 'I don't need to work'. Plus it makes the dwarves look so much more professional. My homebrew worlds tend to have working dwarves keep their beards short, with only elders growing them out if at all. Elves just let their hair grow out, dwarves style it, and for many male dwarves this means a cropped beard and braided hair.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to just throw in my favourite setting element that I tend to port over to homebrew worlds: Birthright dwarves tend to have neatly cropped beards. This makes so much sense to me, it stops the beard from getting in the way during work or catching on anything, and it makes long beards (and hair) a potential status symbol saying 'I don't need to work'. Plus it makes the dwarves look so much more professional. My homebrew worlds tend to have working dwarves keep their beards short, with only elders growing them out if at all. Elves just let their hair grow out, dwarves style it, and for many male dwarves this means a cropped beard and braided hair.
    I really like this. My favorite piece of portable fluff is about dwarves drinking, from a sidebar in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes:

Dwarves have a reputation for being able to consume great quantities of ale. Although drinking plays a significant role in their culture, it is a mistake to assume that intoxication has the same effect on them as it does on humans. Humans drink to forget, while dwarves drink to remember. A dwarf deep in his cups is overcome by powerful, vivid memories of his past, especially events tied to lost kin, great deeds, or monumental failures. When dwarves drink in a group, this effect spreads among them. The clan might joyfully sing of triumph as they reminisce over the defeat of a dragon, or weep as they recall the death of a beloved elder.
    I tend to ignore the last section of the sidebar, about how drinking alone makes dwarves sullen because they're more likely to focus on bad memories. I use drinking for lone dwarves separated from kin as a mechanism of taking part in a shared ritual, even when physically separated. I've sort of adopted that into most of my homebrew worlds.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

If not homebrew then Dark Sun. It isn't even close how far head to anything else Dark Sun is. Just so unique and different to regular fantasy.

Probably why Spelljammer comes in second as well.

(Plus they are both 2ed settings.)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Spelljammer and the implied setting of the AD&D 1e modules. Yes, including Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and those others.
    Half (or more) of them are explicitly set in Greyhawk, e.g. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks etc.
    The rest were generic with no setting, e.g. Ravenloft etc.

You could usually tell by the module code, the I and UK series were generic, the L, T, G, D and S series were set in Greyhawk. And so forth.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Planescape. Easily, no better system, the magic changes were also appreciated.
    Trolls will be blocked. Petrification works far better than fire and acid.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eberron when I want magic to mean technology, which is most of the time.

Second is Dragonlance, where magic means induction into a conspiracy.

If I want magic to be corruption, War Hammer does it better than Dark Sun.

Look it's a big subsystem if it isn't also subtext than it's wasted time.
    yo

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Re: art. Plane scape art was the most… memorable. To me, it stuck out like a sore thumb. I personally hated it, but… it's art - people can have different opinions. I can see how some might really love it. Just… sacred cows, it wasn't D&D… and I wouldn't have liked it even if it wasn't in a D&D book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Or you can go with settings that canonically don't connect with Planescape and Spelljammer, like Eberron (my vote)
    Huh? How does that work? World in a bottle or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Eberron is a world where the core races are stripped back to their base stats and the fluff FOLLOWS from what they can do, rather than the fluff existing and then the stats being pegged in.
    … so, not "Dwarves are great artisans, how do we map that into stats", but "Dwarves have these stats, what does that make them"? If so, why do you prefer this to the alternative?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Spelljammer.

Or Ravenloft, though when I played there I wasn't a mature enough roleplayer to fully enjoy it (and the GM also was too new to do it properly)
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Eberron or Dark Sun for official settings.

I won't say a flat out no to any D&D setting, though Planescape intimidates me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand