New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VIII

What books would I be looking towards if I wanted more information on the Illithid Empire, their time travel, their involvement in pausing the blood war, and the extent of their empire prior to the Gith rebellion?
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    What books would I be looking towards if I wanted more information on the Illithid Empire, their time travel, their involvement in pausing the blood war, and the extent of their empire prior to the Gith rebellion?
    Illithiad and Lords of Madness are the main illithid sourcebooks, although I'm not sure if that blood war thing is in either of them

EDIT:
    Which brings up a meta question. The monstrous arcana books for mindflayers and beholders both had titles that parodied famous books. Illithiad's title was a spoof on the Illiad, and I Tyrant was a spoof on I Claudius. So what, if anything, was the tirle The Sea Devils (the sahugin book) a spoof of?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-05-09 at 01:47 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

To keep the thread from sinking while we await Afro's return, I'll post a side product of my current project: an updated and fleshed out version of the neogi pantheon. Enjoy.

Neogi and Faith: Neogi are in general not very faithful. Like with everything else in their society, slavery and ownership dominate their interaction with their gods. Neogi treat the deities as slaves whose assistance they are due. They don't pray, only demand, and sacrifices are given as a reward for the Power doing as ordered. Logically, the neogi pantheon doesn't grow strong on devotion, nor does it hold a lot of loyality. Many neogi abandon the "great slaves" for perceived failings and throw in their lot with other gods taken from their trading partners or victims, which they don't treat any better than their own. The Patient One is the most common "great slave" of neogi outside of the pantheon.

Kil'lix, LE Lesser Power of the Abyss
    The Darkest Shadow, the Great Slave of Murder
    Portfolio Death, murder, poison
    Realm Abyss/Nr. 246: Karish
    Symbol A pitch black neogi head
    Domains Death, Evil, Law, Trickery, Vile DarknessLoM
    Favored Weapon Light crossbow

Kil'lix is the patron of violent death and assassination. It is usually depicted as a vaugely neogi-shaped blot of darkness. They say that it announces itself with a laughter that sounds equally high-pitched and booming, and that only those who are about to die will hear it. Kil'lix is considered to be the origin of defilers, neogi that evolve the ability to spit poison and usually are trained as elite assassins.

Thrig'ki, NE Lesser Power of the Abyss
    The Unceasing Grip, the Great Slave of Love
    Portfolio Love, Envy, Hatred
    Symbol A snake winding around a spidery hand, biting into it
    Domains DominationSC, EnvySC, Evil, HatredSC, SpiteHH
    Favored Weapon Claw or dagger

Thrig'ki rules over envy, possessiveness, spite and other emotions that cause you to want to control another, in short, over "love". It is depicted as a twelve legged neogi with a mane of snakes. Thrig'ki's cult is involved with the traditions and rules that govern the enslavement of neogi by neogi.

T'zen'kil, NE Lesser Power of the Abyss
    Wrackwhip, the Great Slave of Torture
    Portfolio Torture, pain, suffering
    Symbol A twisted black symbol
    Domains CorruptionFC1, Evil, PainBoVD, RunesSC, Weakness
    Favored Weapon Scourge

T'zen'kil is the great slave the neogi call on when it's time to break their new slaves in or to gain a few information. Its cult is also involved when it's time for reproduction and the neogi make one of their great old masters. T'zen'kil is depicted as a black neogi with a whip as a tongue. The glyphes T'zen'kil's priests burn into the skin of their victims are the last remnant of the forgotten neogi language in use.

Karish, layer Nr. 246 of the Abyss and shared realm of Kil'lix, Thrig'ki and T'zenkil, resembles on first sight the phlogiston. The gas that fills its gravityless expanse lacks the phlogiston's ability to block interplanar movement, but on the other hand it's even more volatile and capricious. It seems to outright seek out potential fire sources, and sometimes an especially thick waft drifts in just the right way to block sight on something vital, for example an ambush.
    As the three powers don't exactly like each other, each plies the layer in it's own pseudo-spelljammer, which take the typical spider shape of the neogi vessels. Kil'lix's ship, the Dark Web, is pitch black and its presence causes the evil phlogiston to lose its light. Thrig'ki's vessel, the Ownership, is even for neogi standards ornate and ostentatious, and Thrig'ki lets itself be pampered on it by pleasantly looking slaves whose eyes and ears were stabbed out to keep them from looking at and listening to anyone but it. T'zen'kil's Flayer is at the same time sleeker and more thorny than vessels usually are. The Flayer tears through the plane to ram into everything living on its way, impaling them on its spikes (which have the ability that nothing speared through by them can die) and dragging them along until T'zen'kil's minions take them off at their leisure to have their fun with them.

Kr'tx, CE Lesser Power of the Grey Waste
    Burner of Weaklings, the Great Slave of War
    Portfolio War, brutality, strength
    Realm Grey Waste/Oinos/Jik'qu
    Symbol A neogi's face before a halo of fire
    Domains Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Fire, Strength, War
    Favored Weapon Claw or ranseur

Kr'tx is a favourite of the neogi's umber hulk slaves, who delight in its exaltation of brute force. The neogi themselves only grant it their attention when a big battle or raid is imminent. Kr'tx is usually depicted as a red neogi with fire instead of fur and burning claws. As neogi are quite cowardly, Kr'tx is the "great slave" who gets punished the most by his "masters", who blame it for them fleeing.
    Jik'qu can be seen quite far on Oinos, as not even the Hades' greyness can cover up the red shine of the fires that burn everywhere on the battlefield of Kr'tx's petioners. Jik'qu is fire dominated and induces a blood rage in every visitor of non-evil alignment. Kr'tx sits enthroned on a high obsidian spire in the middle of the realm and amuses itself with the senseless slaughter around it.

P'kk, LE Lesser Power of Baator
    The Captain, the Great Slave of Command
    Portfolio Fear, Tyranny
    Realm Baator/Minauros/Ki'pik
    Symbol An umber hulk's claw
    Domains Evil, Fear, Law, PrideSC, TyrannySC
    Favored Weapon Bite or handaxe

P'kk is the patron of bullies and manipulators, in short, leaders. It's the closest thing the pantheon has to a leader and the one who, in the creation myth of the neogi, planed and organized the assassination of their hated parent Ka'jik'zxi, from whose corpse the neogi arose. Difficult to say wether that was a good decision, as now the neogi are pushing P'kk around. On the other hand, they are embodying its teachings, so maybe it likes what they do. P'kk is generally a favourite of neogi captains, and unlike other "great slaves", it gets punished only rarely. That may also be because the main reason for a punishment would be being disposed, and the disposed is rarely in position to carry out the punishment. Instead the new leader rewards P'kk for helping it gain the position. P'kk is depicted as an umber hulk with a neogi's head.
    Ki'pik lies beneath Minauros and resembles the swampy caves the neogi prefer when they settle, for whatever reason, on a material world. P'kk's neogi petitioners look like they did in life, but are as big as umber hulks. Living visitors, on the other hand, are shrunk to the size of cats when entering the caves. The giant neogi delight in pushing around the small beings from the outside. Still, none in the cave are as tall as P'kk itself. The only beings in the cave whose size doesn't change are the cruel and capricious dwarf neogi, which the power treats as amusing pets.

Key: SC = Spell Compendium, HH = Heroes of Horror, LoM = Lords of Madness, BoVD = Book of Vile Darkness, FC1 = Fiendish Codex 1

4. - Top - End - #514
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Does anyone know a reason why there are no (Half-)Orcs in Ravenloft?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are there any small deities ranging from small to fine size? If so, what are their names?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Need some help with an adaptation.

I run a Greyhawk based game, and I want to adapt the Techsmith prestige class to be more Greyhawk themed.

Are there any Greyhawk gods that would be good stand-ins for Gond: those with portfolios of artifice, craft, construction, smithing and/or technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Are there any small deities ranging from small to fine size? If so, what are their names?
    After a quick flip through Deities and Demigods: Bes, Garl Glittergold and Yondalla are are small.

I'd recommend searching racial deities of small or smaller races for the most part. Most gnome and halfling deities are likely to be small. Kurtulmak, of the Kobolds, is medium, oddly.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Need some help with an adaptation.

I run a Greyhawk based game, and I want to adapt the Techsmith prestige class to be more Greyhawk themed.

Are there any Greyhawk gods that would be good stand-ins for Gond: those with portfolios of artifice, craft, construction, smithing and/or technology.
    After a cursory look through the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer it looks like Bleredd (N lesser power), the Oeridian god of metal, smiths and mines would be the closest fit. You may have more luck if you look into Greyhawk's extensive population of hero gods, or if you take a non-human god (Flandal Steelskin, Laduguer and Moradin are forge gods and Dugmaren Brightmantle has inventions and discoveries in his portfolio).

Edit: There is, in fact, the ideal hero god for you: Murlynd, LG hero power of magical technology. His cult even uses revolvers which he apparently once brought over from Earth.

Now that I look at him, I vaguely remember Afro saying something in an older thread that Greyhawk somehow enforces a medieval stasis on technology, which is why those weapons don't spread from his cult.

8. - Top - End - #518

How long do gray-elves live?

I came across a line in the flavor text for the Achaierai in the Planes of Law monstrous supplement, that mentions that the gray elf Fionara Silverbane began cataloging the birds of the law aligned planes "when she was only 400 years old" (emphasis mine). That implies that gray elves must live much longer than high elves, as high elves only live about 552 years on average
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #519
    Colossus in the Playground

Pre-3e elves lived longer - that might be it:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd edition PHB
    2nd Edition PHB
    Elves often live to be over 1,200 years old, although long before this lime they feel compelled to depart the realms of men and mortals. Where they go is uncertain, but it is an undeniable urge of their race.
    The table in 2nd edition shows "maximum age range" for an elf as 350+4d100, like 3rd edition, but has the note "Upon attaining this age, an elf does not die. Rather he feels compelled to migrate to some mysterious, other land, departing the world of men."

1st edition elves were even more long-lived, with "venerable" being 1501 - 2000 for grey elves, and even the relatively short-lived drow still had 801-1000.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #520
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    • When discussing worlds of the Material Plane, I often turn to referencing their spatial location on a star chart made for Spelljammer. As there is no official chart to consult, I work off of an extensively detailed and thoroughly researched fanmade chart by Nerik (warning: huge). This chart represents the Arcane Inner Flow quadrant of the primary "galaxy" of Spelljammer. This "galaxy" is known as arcane space after the beings that ruthlessly control its spelljamming helm supply and the secret of the lanes that connect the heart of the region to its border, known as the Arcane Outer Flow or AOF. If I note something as being on or near to the AOF, it represents a significant distance from the center of arcane space and from the most well-known worlds in this quadrant (Oerth, Krynn and Toril).
    Thank you so much for the link to Nerik's chart. This is the first of about a dozen which has worked properly. Until now it was always blurry and no amount of re-loading or size changing or any other effort such as going directly to it has been able to produce a legible image. I have waited literally decades for a link to this chart that worked properly. There is much that is completely new to me, and it will take some time to assimilate.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VIII

I know very little about Eberron pantheons or dogma: is being member of the Blood of Vol at all compatible with having Baphomet as a patron?

Does Baphomet even exist in Eberron?

It's to see if a character can easily have levels in both the Life Eater and Thief of Life prestige classes...

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I know very little about Eberron pantheons or dogma: is being member of the Blood of Vol at all compatible with having Baphomet as a patron?

It's to see if a character can easily have levels in both the Life Eater and Thief of Life prestige classes...
    The Blood of Vol has two faces. The first face, which it shows the public and the lower ranked cultists, professes to be an ancient lore that was rediscovered by someone called Vol, who spread it. The cult takes the fact that Eberron's afterlife is always the grey and dreary Dolurrh, no matter what faith you have, as a sign that the gods aren't worth being worshipped. Instead it preaches that everybody has divinity in their blood and if you know how, you can become a god. Undead are highly respected in the cult, as they are seen as some kind of bodhisattva who have walked the path to divinity, but stopped at some point to show following cultists the way. A lot of their rituals deal in giving blood, obviously.

The second face is gradually revealed to you, the higher you climb in the hierarchy. In truth the Blood of Vol is a person cult created by the half-dragon elf lich Erandis d'Vol, the last "surviving" member of the dragonmarked house of Vol. The cult serves to give her recruits for her agents and fodder for her breeding experiments to recreate her dragonmark, the dragonmark of death (undead dragonmarked can't use their mark). By the point you realize what kind of organization you are in, you are usually too indoctrinated and powerhungry to care.

Note that because of the nature of divine magic in Eberron, which requires nothing but faith, you could theoretically become a 20th level cleric of Vol without ever learning of the cult's true face and even kill her without losing your cleric abilities.

Regarding Baphomet, things are a bit difficult. Tana'ri in Eberron are native to a plane called Shavarath, the Battlefield, which they share with the Baatezu and the Archons and which changes depending on which party holds a given territory. I don't know about you, but to me this doesn't sound like a place for archdevils, archon paragons and demon lords. More like the counterpart to the Blood War.
    The closest counterpart to archfiends in Eberron are the Rakshasa Rajahs, rulers of the fiends that where born by Khyber, the Dragon Below, in the creation myth and then later bound into the depths of Eberron's underdark (also called Khyber). Adapting Baphomet to be one of those should be easy and has a canon precedent: Tiamat was ported to Eberron as a Rakshasa Rajah in late 3.5/early 4e.
    Alternatively, as part of Baphomet's shtick is the breeding of new creatures, he could also make sense as a daelkyr, one of the lords of Xoriat, the Realm of Madness, that invaded Eberron long ago and where also imprisoned in Khyber.
    Anyway, cults dedicated to things in Khyber, or to keeping things imprisoned in Khyber, or to Khyber itself, are collectively known as the Cults of the Dragon Below and work mechanically the same. A Eberron!Baphomet cultist would be one of those.

Baphomet could also be one of the Dark Six worshipped under a different name. The Devourer, as a dark and evil nature god, could make sense.

The last alternative is, of course, if you like this thread believe that Eberron is in the Great Wheel and your character is a Baphomet cultist from outside finding his way into Eberron. (Of course, even in that case you would get your divine power from your faith now, instead of from Baphomet.) You could even found a new religion dedicated to what you think Baphomet is.

Either way, I imagine it would take a lot of interesting mental gymnastics to be dedicated both the Demon Prince of Beasts and to your own budding divinity/a jelaous and vengeful lich.

13. - Top - End - #523

That's... a tricky one.

Baphomet is one of the Overlords, the incarnations of godlike evil that ruled Eberron millions of years ago, before the Coatl died to create the Silver Flame, and the Dragons used the Prophecy to bind the Overlords in the Flame. He is the creator of the Minotaurs and Goristros.

The Blood of Vol is expressly anti-divinity, of the 'if they were actually deserving of worship our afterlife wouldn't be Dollurh' variety, and their ultimate goal is to cause the native humanoid races of Eberron to become transcendent, immortal, and divine beings themselves. That is multi-generational work, entrusted to the undead 'Martyrs' of the church (sentient undead like liches/vampires/whathaveyou who have a lot of benefits over the average individual now but will become obsoleted and left behind once humanoid life ascends to divinity).

It all boils down to what you mean by 'patron'. Baphomet, as an Overlord, cannot directly act in the world, and would move through the Lords of Dust (primarily Rakshasa) under him. They could subtly provide patronage to unsuspecting individuals. If an individual believes that Baphomet, for some reason, might be the catalyst for finding a means to letting humanoids ascend to divinity, they might seek his patronage. If you mean "worship directly as a god" then that is... going to require some mental gymnastics.

EDIT: Ninja'd by another answer, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Regarding Baphomet, things are a bit difficult. Tana'ri in Eberron are native to a plane called Shavarath, the Battlefield, which they share with the Baatezu and the Archons and which changes depending on which party holds a given territory. I don't know about you, but to me this doesn't sound like a place for archdevils, archon paragons and demon lords. More like the counterpart to the Blood War.
    The closest counterpart to archfiends in Eberron are the Rakshasa Rajahs, rulers of the fiends that where born by Khyber, the Dragon Below, in the creation myth and then later bound into the depths of Eberron's underdark (also called Khyber). Adapting Baphomet to be one of those should be easy and has a canon precedent: Tiamat was ported to Eberron as a Rakshasa Rajah in late 3.5/early 4e.
    Alternatively, as part of Baphomet's shtick is the breeding of new creatures, he could also make sense as a daelkyr, one of the lords of Xoriat, the Realm of Madness, that invaded Eberron long ago and where also imprisoned in Khyber.
    Anyway, cults dedicated to things in Khyber, or to keeping things imprisoned in Khyber, or to Khyber itself, are collectively known as the Cults of the Dragon Below and work mechanically the same. A Eberron!Baphomet cultist would be one of those.
    Droaam materials added indicate that Turakbar's Fist, a Minotaur stronghold, worships Baphomet as a demon. Rather than a Shavarathi demon, he's most likely an Overlord/Rajah based on the other tidbits of Droaam that were revealed in the 4e Eberron Campaign Guide.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2021-06-01 at 04:31 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VIII

Thank you both for you answers, very useful and informative.

I guess if I want levels in both classes, easiest thing to do is re-fluff one (i.e. change the cult/patronage reqs) to be more inline with the other.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Really weird and specific one here, related to some of your old homebrew:

Suppose that someone developed a specialized spell that uses positive energy to revive stillborn children (of any species) and which can allow otherwise-dead eggs to hatch. Suppose, further, that it works regardless of whether the fetus involved was "merely dead" or "about to become undead" and prevents the latter from happening (by way of, you know, bringing them to life.)

If someone with this spell encountered a corpse that died of Wasting Hatred, broke open the corpse's skull, and cast the spell on the Odivia eggs... what, if anything, would hatch from them?

EDIT: I'm guessing the answer is "that can't happen, because it borders on messing with preincarnate souls" but I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-06-06 at 12:53 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Suppose that someone developed a specialized spell that uses positive energy to revive stillborn children (of any species)
    Yeah, you're about to be disappointed. Messing with preincarnate souls is a smitin'.

If someone with this spell encountered a corpse that died of Wasting Hatred, broke open the corpse's skull, and cast the spell on the Odivia eggs... what, if anything, would hatch from them?
    Nothing. Odivias are undead. A positive energy based spell cast on an odivia egg would kill it.

So hey everyone. I am back. It has been way too long. Short update to catch you all up: I contracted COVID and got myself a free trip to the hospital, and am now out and in recovery. So that's a party. Haven't seen any questions in a while; if any need to be brought back around to me, please repost 'em. In the meantime, I see that some familiar faces have been doing the Dark Lord's work for me - thanks Fable Wright, Tzardok, and anyone else who has been contributing. Love to see that this thread survives even when my own survival is questionable.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2021-06-06 at 11:42 AM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Oh wow! I'm so glad to hear that you're out and on the mend. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Oh wow! I'm so glad to hear that you're out and on the mend. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
    This - and welcome back.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    This - and welcome back.
    Much appreciated! Bouncing back, doing pretty well, just waiting for the steroid-induced manic state to go away. In the meantime I have some real hummingbird energy.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    This - and welcome back.
    Thirded.

Glad to have you back, and hope your health continues to improve.

In terms of re-posting questions, I was only able to give a very brief and partial answer to this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    After a quick flip through Deities and Demigods: Bes, Garl Glittergold and Yondalla are are small.

I'd recommend searching racial deities of small or smaller races for the most part. Most gnome and halfling deities are likely to be small. Kurtulmak, of the Kobolds, is medium, oddly.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Well, this going to be lousy with god questions. Can't be good to see them all at once, but at least some where already answered:

1. Something I've been meaning to ask about is Apep. Deities and Demigods describes him as a neutral evil demigod, while Fiendish Codex 1 and the Planescape sources mention him as a demonic... thing that is imprisoned in the Darkwells.

How accurate are those two things? Is Apep a god or not? If not, what is he? Could he escape the Wells if he ascended to godhood? And, no matter if he is a deity or not, can he grant spells from the Wells? Is the neutral evil alignment accurate? Questions over questions...

2.Are genies of different subraces able to reproduce with each other? And if yes, what will the child be? Just 50/50, like with elf subraces? The weaker genie with the half-elemental template of the element of the stronger?

3. Does anybody know where the Greyhawk deities Stern Alia, Beltar, Phaulkon, Phyton, Merikka, Rao, Norebo and Moquol have their divine realms and what they are named?

4. During my research I've found that kenku differ a whole lot between 2e and 3e. Winged vs unwinged; neutral vs evil; secretive, but honorable clan society vs selfish and thieving bands. Is there an explanation for the change? Is the god of the 2e kenku, Quorlinn, appropriate for the 3e kenku or does need a lot of adaption?

5. Does anybody have an idea what Hoar's portfolio, alignment etc. were back when he was Assuran?

6. Is known what number(s) layer the Maztican tenemos Teotli Itic covers in the Abyss?

7. Sixin is the god of xill, Kaelthiere is mostly worshipped by salamanders and azers. Both of them have mostly outsiders as their worshippers, which are non-dual. That means that both of them will have no (or next to no) petitioners. I thought deities required petitioners to absorb in addition to faith to survive. How do Sixin and Kaelthiere deal with that? (Also, any ideas about where those two's realms are?)

8. Who the hell are the deities Anahita, Apaosha, Kan'on, Nol, Unana, Ur, Yrrkol and Badar?

22. - Top - End - #532
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Welcome back! Sorry to hear you were sick, but glad you now feel better. Stay healthy!

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Thirded.

Glad to have you back, and hope your health continues to improve.
    Thanks very much!

In terms of re-posting questions, I was only able to give a very brief and partial answer to this one:
    Exact same answer I would have given.

1. Something I've been meaning to ask about is Apep. Deities and Demigods describes him as a neutral evil demigod, while Fiendish Codex 1 and the Planescape sources mention him as a demonic... thing that is imprisoned in the Darkwells.

How accurate are those two things? Is Apep a god or not? If not, what is he? Could he escape the Wells if he ascended to godhood? And, no matter if he is a deity or not, can he grant spells from the Wells? Is the neutral evil alignment accurate? Questions over questions...
    Deities & Demigods is the incorrect source here. Apep is not a god, he's a... thing. A big ugly evil thing in the shape of a snake, sealed away in the Wells of Darkness. Of course, as with many Abyssal entities, he's got some godlike qualities and can grant spells, even from imprisonment, and is functionally equivalent to a demigod in power. He is quite specifically chaotic evil, not neutral evil.

2.Are genies of different subraces able to reproduce with each other? And if yes, what will the child be? Just 50/50, like with elf subraces? The weaker genie with the half-elemental template of the element of the stronger?
    It's never really been stated, but stranger things have happened. I would expect the offspring to be functionally a janni, with some features mirroring the parents, and possibly a few changed spell-like abilities.

3. Does anybody know where the Greyhawk deities Stern Alia, Beltar, Phaulkon, Phyton, Merikka, Rao, Norebo and Moquol have their divine realms and what they are named?
    The gods of Greyhawk generally get the shaft when it comes to setting divine realms. Annoying, but what can you do?

Beltar's home plane is known, at least - she's a resident of Carceri, a suitable place for such a hateful goddess. I would situate her on Colothys, in a realm called Hollowheart, a terrible labyrinth of dark caverns.

Merikka fits well on Dothion, first layer of Bytopia, so let's drop her there in a pastoral realm called the Welcome Homestead.

Mouqol really should fit into the Marketplace Eternal, but it's a four-god kind of deal. Instead, let's give him a realm that wanders slowly in a circuit of the Outlands, every so often getting close enough to the Marketplace Eternal to become an interesting temporary extension. The Tradewind Caravan is a great place to seek out if you need to track down something rare, unusual, or exotic, and is also probably the safest place to deal with genie trade emissaries (given that the Elemental Planes are normally pretty dangerous places).

Norebo's a denizen of Pandemonium, oddly enough, so let's pop him on Pandesmos, the most habitable layer, and give him a realm called Scapefate, a gambling den with doors that may lead to treasure and prosperity... or send you tumbling into the depths of the lower layers.

Phaulkon's home plane is the Elemental Plane of Air. His realm I will call Arrowflight, a favored haunt of arrowhawks. He is also known to visit Arvandor.

Phyton's home plane is Ysgard. He resides on the first layer, in a realm I dub Harvestide, a thick woodland of orchards and well-appointed wooden halls. He is also known to spend time in Arvandor.

Rao actually has a canonical realm, named Sweet Reason, located on Mercuria, second layer of Celestia.

Stern Alia would fit best, I think, on Buxenus, where she can have her privacy in a realm we will call the Shield Mother's Citadel.

4. During my research I've found that kenku differ a whole lot between 2e and 3e. Winged vs unwinged; neutral vs evil; secretive, but honorable clan society vs selfish and thieving bands. Is there an explanation for the change? Is the god of the 2e kenku, Quorlinn, appropriate for the 3e kenku or does need a lot of adaption?
    Kenku went through a major shift between editions; their origin was changed to be a curse laid by Pazuzu, of all things. We could chalk the changes up to the multiversal upheaval that signaled the change in editions - certainly it's suspect that kenku are mentioned to serve Vecna. It's worth noting, though, that Quorlinn is a neglectful deity who never appreciated having to be the patron god of a whole race. I would surmise that Quorlinn is still active but, having seen his people corrupted in the upheaval, is now working to actually do his job - kenku are big on retribution, after all, and "those jerks stole my mancrows" is a pretty good reason to get some retaliation going. It's noted that there are still plenty of neutral and even some good-aligned kenku out there.

5. Does anybody have an idea what Hoar's portfolio, alignment etc. were back when he was Assuran?
    Hasn't been mentioned. It's possible, if he is intended to be cognate to the ancient Assyrian deity Ashur, that he was a god of sun and civilization (Ashur was the patron deity/deification of the city of the same name).

6. Is known what number(s) layer the Maztican tenemos Teotli Itic covers in the Abyss?
    We don't know the numbers of those layers, but we do know what they look like. The first is a desert of black dust; the second, a jagged hellscape of black ice; the third, an airy void without gravity; the fourth, a Limbo-like maelstrom that cannot be manipulated (unlike actual Limbo); the fifth, a magmatic and rocky layer with volcanoes; the sixth, a labyrinth of caverns; the seventh, an endless ocean; the eighth, a layer resembling the Prime; the ninth, much like the eighth, but far deadlier, with poisonous flora, demonic beings that imitate friends and loved ones, and a perverse sense of devious wickedness coming from the layer itself hating visitors and wanting to torture them.

7. Sixin is the god of xill, Kaelthiere is mostly worshipped by salamanders and azers. Both of them have mostly outsiders as their worshippers, which are non-dual. That means that both of them will have no (or next to no) petitioners. I thought deities required petitioners to absorb in addition to faith to survive. How do Sixin and Kaelthiere deal with that? (Also, any ideas about where those two's realms are?)
    Deities can get by on worship alone; lacking petitioners means that they will simply never progress or evolve with an influx of souls joining them and giving them more richness and broader direction. It's not a healthy way to be, sort of like existing on a diet of fast food and junk food, but it does essentially work, with caveats. One thing they have going for them is that the outsiders who worship them are "mortal" and not beings of belief like the exemplar races. Another thing, at least in the case of Sixin, is that he is the racial power of xill (Kaelthiere is not a racial deity) and their mere existence helps sustain him (it wouldn't be enough to keep him from becoming a corpse, but in tandem with their worship, it's fine and dandy).

Now, it's quite likely both of them need to expend power to collect at least a few "petitioners" with which to merge; it's possible to resurrect outsiders, which means it is equally possible to recall their souls for a deity. Since they were the faithful of these gods, they have sole claim to doing this. I'd expect it's relatively a lot of work compared to the passive absorption of other gods, and requires enough power and attention that they can't do it as routinely as would really be healthy for them. Still, with Sixin a racial deity and thus not really able to make huge inroads with other races, and Kaelthiere likely having some Prime Material ambitions but limited resources to make a committed move, they're both a bit stuck.

Also, I see you're fishing for me to make up more stuff

Sixin would have a fine time on the Ethereal Plane, but I think we can reasonably park him on Baator. I'd put him in the outer regions of Dis, in a vicious and alien realm known as Xixil, a towering hivelike city at the center of a vast and hideous wilderness in which abductees are hunted for sport.

Kaelthiere is on the Elemental Plane of Fire; we'll give her realm the name Incineration, after her favorite thing to do to people.

8. Who the hell are the deities Anahita, Apaosha, Kan'on, Nol, Unana, Ur, Yrrkol and Badar?
    Anahita is an ocean goddess from the Persian pantheon; Apaosha is a demonic figure from the same source. I'd have to do some pretty substantial digging to locate the rest of them, and right now that is just not in the cards. Ironically even in trying to poke around on this question I found some gods missing from the big huge doom list. As always.

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Welcome back! Sorry to hear you were sick, but glad you now feel better. Stay healthy!
    Thanks very much Edreyn! I appreciate it

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

It's never really been stated, but stranger things have happened. I would expect the offspring to be functionally a janni, with some features mirroring the parents, and possibly a few changed spell-like abilities.
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

The gods of Greyhawk generally get the shaft when it comes to setting divine realms. Annoying, but what can you do?
    Don't know. Outsource?

Kenku went through a major shift between editions; their origin was changed to be a curse laid by Pazuzu, of all things. We could chalk the changes up to the multiversal upheaval that signaled the change in editions - certainly it's suspect that kenku are mentioned to serve Vecna. It's worth noting, though, that Quorlinn is a neglectful deity who never appreciated having to be the patron god of a whole race. I would surmise that Quorlinn is still active but, having seen his people corrupted in the upheaval, is now working to actually do his job - kenku are big on retribution, after all, and "those jerks stole my mancrows" is a pretty good reason to get some retaliation going. It's noted that there are still plenty of neutral and even some good-aligned kenku out there.
    A god on a crussade to steal back his people. I like it.

Hasn't been mentioned. It's possible, if he is intended to be cognate to the ancient Assyrian deity Ashur, that he was a god of sun and civilization (Ashur was the patron deity/deification of the city of the same name).
    Finding information on Ashur is like searching for lint in the desert. Oh well, at least now I have a portfolio to work from. Thank you.

We don't know the numbers of those layers, but we do know what they look like. The first is a desert of black dust; the second, a jagged hellscape of black ice; the third, an airy void without gravity; the fourth, a Limbo-like maelstrom that cannot be manipulated (unlike actual Limbo); the fifth, a magmatic and rocky layer with volcanoes; the sixth, a labyrinth of caverns; the seventh, an endless ocean; the eighth, a layer resembling the Prime; the ninth, much like the eighth, but far deadlier, with poisonous flora, demonic beings that imitate friends and loved ones, and a perverse sense of devious wickedness coming from the layer itself hating visitors and wanting to torture them.
    I think nobody will care if I just put it on the layers 102-110. Not a lot of canonical things there and deep enough to be in one of the bigger holes.

Also, I see you're fishing for me to make up more stuff

Sixin would have a fine time on the Ethereal Plane, but I think we can reasonably park him on Baator. I'd put him in the outer regions of Dis, in a vicious and alien realm known as Xixil, a towering hivelike city at the center of a vast and hideous wilderness in which abductees are hunted for sport.

Kaelthiere is on the Elemental Plane of Fire; we'll give her realm the name Incineration, after her favorite thing to do to people.
    You see, a few weeks ago I had a stupid idea: "Let's make a list with all the divine realms of all living gods in D&D and invent a few for those who don't have a listed one. That sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon." So I took your big list of gods and worked my way through it. I didn't take everyone (I threw out a few that I considered superflous, like the goddess of liminals and a few from the Races books like the Glutton) and when I got through the list (three days later), I started asigning divine realms. Needless to say, I still not finished with it. *shrug*
    And a deity like Kaelthiere is the worst. No real world mythology to draw from. No background from older editions. No descriptions, not even a portfolio. Just a single table entry. I didn't even know that she is a "she". So in that regard, thank you for doing my work for me.

That doesn't mean that I was idle. I named and located divine realms for the gods from Frostburn, the racial gods from Sandstorm and Stormwrack, the deities from the Races books (those that I considered worthwhile additons to their respective pantheons), those deities in 3.0 Deities & Demigods that didn't have any yet (for example Imhotep's The First Pyramid is located on Dothion, and Anubis got The Scales of Maat in Buxenus (and I made a Maat Domain)), the Slavic pantheon from the Dragon Magazine (those that weren't covered elsewhere) and the gods from Ghostwalk. I also created 3.5 write-ups (in addition to divine realms) for the Neogi pantheon (already posted), the Taltos pantheon, the Faceless God of the yakmen, Eris, Janus and the Polynesian pantheon (I was tempted to post that instead, but after how annoyed you were with me for posting the Vedic ones I refrained). Currently I'm working on the Native American one.

If anyone is interested in my results, I'm willing to share.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

A god on a crussade to steal back his people. I like it.
    Makes a lot of sense for him.

Finding information on Ashur is like searching for lint in the desert. Oh well, at least now I have a portfolio to work from. Thank you.
    Might also be written as Assur.

I think nobody will care if I just put it on the layers 102-110. Not a lot of canonical things there and deep enough to be in one of the bigger holes.
    I don't know that they are necessarily contiguous (they certainly don't have to be).

You see, a few weeks ago I had a stupid idea: "Let's make a list with all the divine realms of all living gods in D&D and invent a few for those who don't have a listed one. That sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon."
    I've actually been considering doing likewise. I think I'll create a document. We can at least pick away at it.

That doesn't mean that I was idle.
    I'll take your work under consideration, but I may do some overrides where I feel the need. I'm a jerk that way.

Anubis
    Forget Deities & Demigods, Anubis is very specifically not a god anymore and has no divine realm. He's not even really "Anubis" anymore.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Forget Deities & Demigods, Anubis is very specifically not a god anymore and has no divine realm. He's not even really "Anubis" anymore.
    One of the later Dragon Magazine articles mentions that a new Anubis arose to replace the old one. I accepted that because you too brought that up once when asked about the Guardian; I think it was in thread number... 7. And if there's Anubis Mk. 2, he needs a realm. *shrug*

I don't know that they are necessarily contiguous (they certainly don't have to be).
    Would certainly make it easier for the pantheon to supervise it if they were close together.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

One of the later Dragon Magazine articles mentions that a new Anubis arose to replace the old one. I accepted that because you too brought that up once when asked about the Guardian; I think it was in thread number... 7. And if there's Anubis Mk. 2, he needs a realm. *shrug*
    Interesting, I don't recall this. Of course my brain is also in steroid hyper mode right now and not the most reliable... do we have a citation? I'd love to reread it.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Interesting, I don't recall this. Of course my brain is also in steroid hyper mode right now and not the most reliable... do we have a citation? I'd love to reread it.
    That was on pages 120-121 in Dragon #359. Under Class Acts: Forgotten Faiths in the write up of The Guardian of Dead Gods as a worshippable deity.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VIII

Are there any non-Evil gods of beggars/begging as a portfolio? Preferably setting neutral, or Greyhawk based.

I found Erbin in the Deities and Demigods web enhancement, but him being Evil really puts a damper how I wanted to use him in my campaign.

I also found Ralishaz, but his portfolio is seems to be luck/fortune/insanity.

I thought there was a god who's class levels were Commoner 20, but I'm having trouble finding him. Not sure if he was associated with beggars or not.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I thought there was a god who's class levels were Commoner 20, but I'm having trouble finding him. Not sure if he was associated with beggars or not.
    The only god I remember with an NPC class is Imhotep (Expert 20). Maybe that's the one?