New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default The Bastard Child of Vice City and DND (World Builder)

The idea started when I was playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and I guess I transitioned from the video game to roleplaying one too many times. I got the image in my head of a kobold wearing khakis, a hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, and toting two uzis. Then I got the image of an Elven Mafia in my head. (Munchkin reference for those who get it.) Then it kind of spiraled down from there.

The idea is a modern Dungeons and Dragons setting (not necessarily D20 Modern but it could work like that) where most if not all the races are just out for themselves with few exceptions. Magic and magic items are still prevalent, and swords are just as commonly used as shotguns. The city lies on a warm, tropical coastline

Dwarves - Dwarves provided most of the labor in the construction of the city with few exceptions. Originally, they built the city to be their own, so they put all their pride in building it. Unfortunately, most of the funds for the construction came from Elven loan sharks, who, upon the completion of the construction, came to collect with more than enough interest to legally claim the entire city for their own, forcing the massive dwarven population into one of the less desirable parts of town. Today, dwarves comprise of most of the labor forces of the city, especially various construction crews, and the hate between the two races is as intense as ever.

Elves - Cunning, discreet, and ruthless, the elven mafia is feared throughout the city. Having stock in most of the various fronts and crime rings throughout the cities, almost nothing gets by without the elves' approval. Constantly having to place other would-be crimelords in their place is a challenge though, and while the elven mafia remains the most powerful, there are those who would challenge their authority.

The Small Races (To be divided up and explained individually at a later date) Most of the small races (Halflings, Gnomes, Goblins, Kobolds) come from islands or other far-off countries and came to the city to increase trade in drug-trafficking. Right now, all these races have formed a trust to make better profit out of the drugrunning business in the city, and have control over the better portion of the coastline and ports. However, although the leaders of each respective drug ring would never intentionally upset the trust, they are always looking for ways to gain a lead on their competitors.

Humans - Humans have no particular culture in the city. During its early years, humans migrated from all over along with bugbears, ogres, and orcs for work. However, humans' adaptability and numbers gave them a place in society and they ended up taking many of the available jobs, to the point where the current mayor is a human (although he still pays his "respects" to the other gangs.)

Drow and Duergar - Drow and Duergar used to be offset families of their respective races. When the two conspired together to form a coup that would give them the power, they were cast out into the deepest slums of the city, an area which makes the dwarves' homes look luxurious. Although they can still find occasional work, drow and duergar are deeply looked down upon and shunned as untouchables by the rest of society.

Outsider - There is some divine interest in the city. Angels, Archons, Devils, and Demons have all formed their own corporations as fronts within the city to carry out their plans, including hiring out the local gangs to do their dirty work for them. Most clerics in the city derrive their power from these corporations through a contract with either of the corporations. Aasimar and Tieflings have also been quite common since these organizations entered the society's structure.

Feel free to give suggestions or comments.

And yes, I realize how horrible and cheesy this idea is, and that's probably why it appeals to me so.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Bastard Child of Vice City and DND (World Builder)

Undercover operations by celestials sound interesting... can you expand on that? I HOPE you ARE keeping them as representatives of pure Good...?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I can't BELIEVE how much I like this idea. I have the perfect images in my head of the construction worker dwarf, with the same faroff clericy look in his eyes as the PHB but wearing a plaid shirt, overalls, and a yellow hard hat. Gnomes = tacky hawaiian-shirt-wearing drug dealers. Of course. Halflings in hooded sweat-shirts trying to rap. Cosmopolitan elves. Ethnic quarter drow. I love it.
    My newest creation -
    The Daemon - A New Two-Weapon Fighting Expanded Base Class
    PEACH
    Spoiler
    Show

My homebrew projects -
    The Velocimancer [Base Class] (PEACH)
    Weak Spots Mechanic (PEACH)
    RPITP -
    My "To Build A Kingdom" Campaign.
    My character Videln Rijhad in The Scion of Kamlita (Garnet)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

This works so well. It actually takes the races and their supposed role in DnD default society, and puts into real world... now im going have to re-write parts of my setting...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

DracoDei:

The way I had it was that the Archons and Angels would have merged their companies together to form "Arkan," while the Demons and the Devils would have merged their corporate fronts as well (though not necessarily trusting one another. Also still working on the name for theirs.) The Demon/Devil institution would have its own evil plans for the city and Arkan would have moved in simply to interfere on the behalf of good. So yes, still representatives of pure good, albeit such a force is very out-of-place in this setting.

Finerty:

Actually, I had the Kobolds as the tacky hawaiian-shirt-wearing drug dealers (dealing in Dragon's Blood or something of such.) The gnomes were the Yakuza and the halflings were the Triads. Just seemed right to me.

Gwyn_ap_Nud:

Wow, now I know I did something right. Thanks for all the comments thus far.

Let's see, what else had I thought of...

Orcs and Half-Orcs - Orcs migrated to the city with many of the other humanoid races (Humans, Ogres, Bugbears), but unlike the other culture-lacking races, Orcs came in style as a tough, leather-jacket wearing Harley Davidson motorcycle gang. They easily took over a part of town from the dwarves that they liked, earning their hatred ever since. Orcs were never picky when it comes to race and would mate with anything humanoid. Half-orcs gained a quick population until eventually one of the Orc leaders died naming his Half-Orc daughter as his heir.

Gnolls - Gnolls also migrated to the area, but with a different purpose in mind. Used to open nature, they had no intention of moving into a big, tight, scary city. Instead, they settled in their own community just outside the city, attempting to farm the land (even when the land wasn't really suitable for farming) and hunting game (even when there wasn't much game to hunt.) Extremely jealous and hateful of the more successful city slickers, they regularly conduct raids and such on the outskirts of the city, and fit the general redneck hillbilly stereotype.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I would love to play in this- everything I like about the idea of Urban Arcana, and none of what gets my goat.

You going to develop it more?

Edit- that was an interesting image- some of the slummy areas where the drow are stuck, filmed over with spiderwebbing instead of garbage and loose newspapers, sometimes looking like that's all that's holding the buildings up.
    Last edited by Weirdlet; 2007-10-31 at 10:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdlet View Post
    I would love to play in this- everything I like about the idea of Urban Arcana, and none of what gets my goat.

You going to develop it more?

Edit- that was an interesting image- some of the slummy areas where the drow are stuck, filmed over with spiderwebbing instead of garbage and loose newspapers, sometimes looking like that's all that's holding the buildings up.

Oh definitely, especially with the comments I'm getting on it. In fact, I'm thinking about running this setting in my next game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    I got the image in my head of a kobold wearing khakis, a hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, and toting two uzis.
    Say hello to my tiny friend!

Then I got the image of an Elven Mafia in my head. (Munchkin reference for those who get it.)
    8-Bit Theatre.

This is a very, very perverse idea. It's also an awesome one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love the kobolds and orcs in particular. This is awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm getting the distinct feeling that shambling zombies could easily be the senile and crabby inhabitants of Miami's numerous retirement homes.

Be warned- once the zombies start getting in their cars; only an episode of Matlock can stop them from killing us all!
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You had me at elven mafia.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

This is awesomness to the extremity *nods*. I can actually see this in my mind, which makes it truly great, and you could have a lot of fun with this. Please expand upon it, it looks just plain awesome to me too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Names for Organizations still pending.

Classes:

Barbarian - Some of you may wonder what sort of place in society a disfunctional destructive machine of pure rage would have in a civilized city. Usually Barbarians are fresh immigrants from other lands looking to start a new life. Their combat prowess is definitely prized, especially by organizations looking for muscle or bodyguards, or even better just some dumb criminal lackeys to take the blame. Half-Orcs and Orcs of the Zugzug biker gang make very good barbarians, as do the humans, ogres and bugbears that migrate to the city. A good portion of the gnoll population outside the city.

Bard - The Elven Mafia in particular looks for show talent to perform at their various clubs, specifically the more attractive ones who might also make money in the local prostitution rings. Elves and half-elves make up most of the bards in the city, though human, aasimar, and tiefling bards are not unheard of.

Cleric - Religion has very little of a role in the big city, but there are other ways for Clerics to gain spells. The various outsider corporations are more than willing to enter into contracts with individuals to grant power in exchange for loyalties. In these cases, instead of preparing spells normally, a cleric meets with a representative from her benefactor, usually a lower-level outsider , who then negotiate for spells for the day. The benefactor is free to refuse any spells, as well as nullify the contract should the cleric take any "unfavorable" actions. While all races are welcome to make contracts and become clerics, tiefling and aasimar clerics are the most common. Kobold clerics who worship their foreign dragon masters are also not unheard of.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kobolds - Kobolds hail from southern island countries ruled by dragons of all kinds (chromatic and metallic) and inhabited by draconic races. Kobolds lived as peons among Lizardfolk, Troglodytes, and the elite chosen of the Dragonborn and Half-Dragons. Many kobolds in the society quickly tire of the oppression and have sailed to the city sailing various draconic items and chemicals as drugs and illegal goods, including the infamous Dragon's Blood (a drug whose name is suspected to be literal, but no one is sure). Not all the dragon rulers are oppressive, and some even allow the drug trade some freedom among their kind. Regardless, kobolds in the city often have to deal with other draconic races such as the Lizardfolk coming to the city to try and take over the kobolds of the city.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

This is great!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Parks - Several small parks exist throughout the city, large enough to hold entire forests and ecosystems, filled with wild, untamed beauty. When the dwarves built the city, they tapped into powerful divine magicks to build fully alive parks. At first the parks were meant as peaceful, controlled, natural environments where people could relax and enjoy themselves peacefully. When the elves took the majority of the city from the dwarves, its builders were not so kind, and let the magicks which controlled the parks loose, turning them into their own wild ecosystems which became wild forests and jungles, full of vicious and dangerous beasts.

Druids - Druids are rare in the city, but not unheard of. There are a few gnoll druids on the outskirts of the city, but most of the druids actually dwell in or near the local parks, deriving their power from the powerful magicks that make the miniature self-sufficient ecosystems possible. As the dwarves are most familiar with these magicks, since they are the ones who built them, they make the most common druids. Anyone who becomes attuned with nature can become a druid, though usually they need the approval of the dwarves. An elf could never become a druid. Druids whose spells and class features are modeled after stone or water themes are also not unheard of.

Psionics - There are no psionics. Period. **** Psionics. **** those **** Psionics **** in the **** ****.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elves and half-elves make up most of the bards in the city, though human, aasimar, and tiefling bards are not unheard of.
    Reading this, I get an image in my mind of a tiefling heavy metal guitarist.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

I was playing in a D20/urban arcana game, it was more like the gangs of new york then vice city. Dwarvs were the russian mafia. Goblinoids were the latino gangs. Vampires were the italian style mafia. Drow became the yakuza.

It was alot of fun, I enjoyed what we were doing. The GM came up with some things that I never thought he could come up with. (my pc was a latino human, working for the goblinoids, fell in with the italians, and was betrayed by the goblins to the russians after we sank there boat lol)

Not enough people give Modern/urban arcana enough credit.

The GTA idea would make for a great RPG setting. But 2 already exist. One being Modern, the other being Shawdow Run.

19. - Top - End - #19

Five star felony and a huge flying dragon comes after your V8 horse and cart
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

20. - Top - End - #20

I think the Urban Ranger would enjoy this place. Anyways, yeah, now I'm picturing a bunch of Archmages relaxing in a lounge, smoking and discussing the oppression of the little people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

For Paragon Badger:

Undead - Undead come in two flavors: intelligent and unintelligent. The intelligent undead (vampires, liches, etc.) either become undead of their own volition as a means of achieving immortality or are forced into servitude by a necromancer. Some independent liches and vampires become successful, respectable businessmen, and can even afford to live in condos and high-rise apartments with artificial darkness. The unintelligent undead (zombies, ghouls, and the like) while unable to function normally in society, so become service workers at D-Mart, local gas stations, or simply low-level employees in corporations.

Fighters - Fighters remain largely unchanged and are quite popular in this setting, as adventurers, mercenaries, or muscle.

Rogues - Rogues are also quite popular mercenary-types, but some can make it as independent criminals as long as they stay out of the affairs of the major crime families.

Rangers - Rangers use the Urban Ranger variant, and make great trackers that are in high demand for hire among the crime families, as well as the local police force. A lot of rangers make work as private detectives in the big city as well.

To Reptilius:
    I was thinking Punk rocker, but that's pretty good too.

To Combatant:
    While I do need to look at Shadowrun, from what I hear, it isn't the exact sort of flavor I'm going for, but it's close. D20 Modern I like the concept of, just not the execution. I never really liked its class system. I'd like it better if they just took the advanced classes and converted them into base classes. They have a lot of class features for new rules I probably wouldn't even use. I know I'm going to make the Bodyguard into a 20-level class for a separate project.

To Mewtarthio: Yea, Urban Ranger was perfect for what I was looking for, and makes more sense altogether. Now I have the image of the human ranger gumshoe detective.

22. - Top - End - #22

The unintelligent undead (zombies, ghouls, and the like) while unable to function normally in society, so become service workers at D-Mart, local gas stations, or simply low-level employees in corporations.
    Shaun of the Dead, anyone?

To Mewtarthio: Yea, Urban Ranger was perfect for what I was looking for, and makes more sense altogether. Now I have the image of the human ranger gumshoe detective.
    Happy to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #23

The way I had it was that the Archons and Angels would have merged their companies together to form "Arkan," while the Demons and the Devils would have merged their corporate fronts as well (though not necessarily trusting one another. Also still working on the name for theirs.) The Demon/Devil institution would have its own evil plans for the city and Arkan would have moved in simply to interfere on the behalf of good. So yes, still representatives of pure good, albeit such a force is very out-of-place in this setting.
    Although it may smack of Wolfram and Hart, how about an evil law firm? Maybe Asmodeus, Demogorgon, and (Yugoloth master)?
    Last edited by Reptilius; 2007-11-12 at 10:15 PM.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    Although it may smack of Wolfram and Hart, how about an evil law firm? Maybe Asmodeus, Demogorgon, and (Yugoloth master)?
    Well, I have no plans to publish this setting, so I have no qualms about ripping off other ideas for this. I needed some sort of front for the Outsider corporations anyway, so we'll say the Angels and Devils have opposing law firms, while the Demons specialty is merchandising.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

, while the Demons specialty is merchandising.
    yah intimidate modifier for being a giant flaming avatar of evil incarnate

Also what about LN and CN outsider,
    Ooh ooh inevitable swat teams and mordon bureaucracy
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    mordon bureaucracy
    <Whimpers in Shear Terror at the very thought>
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    yah intimidate modifier for being a giant flaming avatar of evil incarnate

Also what about LN and CN outsider,
    Ooh ooh inevitable swat teams and mordon bureaucracy
    I must ask before I continue... what is a mordon bureaucracy?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Actually spelled "Modron"... Anyway here you go for modrons.
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

About the Advanced Classes being base classes... I'd rather make it as easy to get into prestige classes. Some do warrant being full base classes, a lot don't.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I must ask before I continue... what is a mordon bureaucracy?
    mordons are/were the LN outsiders from planescape, they are notorious for their organisation. Long lines of command and every member of each caste looking the exact same. The reason I say that is until the upper castes the creatures can only perform a number of tasks equal to their rank
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp