New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 5e Design and Release Cadence Philosophy

Howdy folks,

I'm wondering if WotC ever stated their design philosophy around book design and release cadence (or if there's a thread somewhere for that. I looked, but could not find). Comparing 3.5e and 4e, it seems like they were releasing many more books over the same period of time. 3.5 and 4e had 5 and 6 year cycles, and had so many releases in their respective runs. 5e is 6 years in, and has not released as much content as the other two editions. Did WotC ever discuss this? Other than UA content, it's pretty light. We haven't even received a focused PHB II or MM II style release (Volo's, MTF and XGE being hybrid books, containing a mix of DMG, PHB and MM material). It feels like official releases are being drip-fed. Was this the plan from the start?

Any information or links to information would be appreciated. I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. I missed the boat on it.
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 5e Design and Release Cadence Philosophy

Yes, it was the plan from the start. They intentionally slowed down the release schedule to reduce perceived bloat and ideally improve accessibility. The idea was also for material such as that available on their official DMsGuild service to provide the extra content for those always hungry for more.
    Last edited by NorthernPhoenix; 2020-08-03 at 11:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
    Yes, it was the plan from the start. They intentionally slowed down the release schedule to reduce perceived bloat and ideally improve accessibility. The idea was also for material such as that available on their official DMsGuild service to provide the extra content for those always hungry for more.
    Except that, unfortunately, DMsGuild has a really bad reputation in terms of quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Except that, unfortunately, DMsGuild has a really bad reputation in terms of quality.
    It's actually pretty great for DM content. Some of the Bestiary and campaign scenario stuff on there is solid gold. That may or may not be the case for player facing materials, but that doesn't change WotC's intent.
    Last edited by NorthernPhoenix; 2020-08-03 at 01:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Oh wow! Thanks for the information. I usually shy away from homebrew (lots of bad 2nd ed. experiences), but I'll have to look up this "DMsGuild". Is it curated by WotC? For example, is someone releases something there, would it need official approval?
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    Oh wow! Thanks for the information. I usually shy away from homebrew (lots of bad 2nd ed. experiences), but I'll have to look up this "DMsGuild". Is it curated by WotC? For example, is someone releases something there, would it need official approval?
    Yes, from what I understand, yes.

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    There is a sort of curated section called "DMs Guild Adept". Everything else on there has to follow the general guidelines for release and content set by Wizards but isn't curated for quality beyond that. They also sell actually official products on there, so in essence you have 3 "tiers" of product.
    Last edited by NorthernPhoenix; 2020-08-03 at 01:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You'd think, though, that they'd at least publish more adventure modules.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a marketing decision, and a pretty effective one at that.
    With a slower release cycle, they can count on a higher percentage of their market share buying each individual book, since they have less content being published at the same time to compete against.
    While there are a slew of other systems out there, WotC dominates the market by a considerable margin...
    Spoiler: and I do mean "dominates"
    Show

.. and to release too much content causes more of their own customers to pick and choose book vs book from within their own catalogue.
    If the average tabletop gamer in a single market buys 2 books per year, planning around releasing more than 3 in that single market is a poor choice.
    Since they focus on a slower release cycle, and can count on that boosting the sales per publication, each book can afford to be a little more expensive too (though how much of that is due to inflation and increased production costs, someone with a background in economics may give a better breakdown of that part), higher quality per publication also tips the sales more in their direction over their competitors.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
    There is a sort of curated section called "DMs Guild Adept". Everything else on there has to follow the general guidelines for release and content set by Wizards but isn't curated for quality beyond that. They also sell actually official products on there, so in essence you have 3 "tiers" of product.
    Yeah I've been deep diving into the DM's Guild website... holy dangerous! They have so much content there. Apparently the majority of DMs Guild Adept adventures are AL legal, which to me would indicate that the curated content is taken seriously. Lots of options!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    It's a marketing decision, and a pretty effective one at that.
    With a slower release cycle, they can count on a higher percentage of their market share buying each individual book, since they have less content being published at the same time to compete against.
    While there are a slew of other systems out there, WotC dominates the market by a considerable margin...
    Spoiler: and I do mean "dominates"
    Show

.. and to release too much content causes more of their own customers to pick and choose book vs book from within their own catalogue.
    If the average tabletop gamer in a single market buys 2 books per year, planning around releasing more than 3 in that single market is a poor choice.
    Since they focus on a slower release cycle, and can count on that boosting the sales per publication, each book can afford to be a little more expensive too (though how much of that is due to inflation and increased production costs, someone with a background in economics may give a better breakdown of that part), higher quality per publication also tips the sales more in their direction over their competitors.
    Oh wow! Thank you for the info! I figured D&D was dominant, but I had no idea they'd be THAT dominant. I will admit that the drip-feed approach makes it unlikely that I'll skip out on a book. I'll also say that even 6 years since launch, they're putting in a lot of effort. I really enjoy MOT and BGIA. I do wish they'd do an official PHBII style book with new core options. Though given that info-graphic, I don't think they'd feel the need to change plans any time soon!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Exploring Eberron is a fantastic exception to that trend, turned out to be a better purchase for me than any WotC settings book except RftLW. Check it out here: https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/315887
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-08-04 at 09:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I'm gonna nuance the domination of 5e (just a bit). On roll20 it's "only" around 55%. The beautiful thing tho is that 5e is a product that drives the whole industry up. The market has exploded these last years and it benefits greatly to every actors on the market which is an excellent thing.
    I'm truly amazed by two lines of products tho, Pathfinder 2nd edition is getting serious traction despite a very timid launch, but still it's the successor of a heavyweight. However Blades in the dark (and the forged in the dark system) despite being less than 2 years old, is pulling serious numbers both in terms of sales and campaign played, it's in the top 15 systems played on roll 20, pretty much on par with all editions of shadow run, for a small indy game that impressive to say the least.
    Last edited by Chronic; 2020-08-05 at 12:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

As far as other systems there generally seems to be a back and forth between DnD doing well and bringing in new players and DnD falling on its face which leads to an exodus to players to other systems. Seems like both are necessary. As soon as WotC stumbles we'll have a real boom in other systems but for now it's doing good work bringing people in.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
    I'm gonna nuance the domination of 5e (just a bit). On roll20 it's "only" around 55%.
    Yes, different sites that host games will have differing numbers, but the differences between those top positions and the ones below it are VERY drastic, which was the main point i was looking to highlight.
    Spoiler: Roll20 2020 Q2 numbers
    Show

Be it in the high 60's or low 50's as a percentage of market share they are ludicrously ahead of their next closest competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
    The beautiful thing tho is that 5e is a product that drives the whole industry up. The market has exploded these last years and it benefits greatly to every actors on the market which is an excellent thing.
    This is very much true. A rising tide lifts all ships. As 5e's popularity brings more people into the tabletop hobby, there will be more people that are also introduced to other systems out there. The market bases do bleed into each other and help each other grow.... to an extent.
    As mentioned before, the average table top player isn't a mass collector. they'll usually just get a couple of books within a given year, and borrow/share off their friends for the stuff they don't have. Back when running live games before lockdown, there was never enough PHB's at the table for the number of players we had. BUT those players without a PHB of their own did have other books, just for different systems. On girl I DM'd for had a starwars book (or some space thingy, don't know the exacts), and said they had only got it because of these D&D games in 5e getting them into tabletop in the first place.