New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Refluffing a Shield

Quote Originally Posted by langal View Post
    How about just not using a shield?

What happens if you find a shield + 1? Would you expect to be able to fluff that?

I might allow some substitute to give you a +1 bonus but refluffing should only go so far IMO.
    This. Just man up and either use the shield or don’t use one if you just can’t bear to have one worn. Or are ya just gonna magically have all your shields you find somehow become whatever you fluff it is.

Gods sake... 🙄

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    This. Just man up and either use the shield or don’t use one if you just can’t bear to have one worn. Or are ya just gonna magically have all your shields you find somehow become whatever you fluff it is.

Gods sake... 🙄
    Again, what would the issue with that be? And believe me, I don't care about fluff. If there's not a mechanic behind something, I ignore it...but if the fluff is important to a player what does it matter? The +1 shield becomes a +1 glove/cloak/parrying dagger/whatever. The +1 can just come from a transmutation spell that allows the shield to take the shape the wielder wants.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    That's the kicker for most people. If it can be counter spelled or dispelled, their suspension of disbelief in something being a mundane 'refluff' is broken.

In this case, if it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't be able to hold or use the hand with the fluffy-shield-glove. Or it couldn't be dropped as an object interaction. Etc.
    I mean...it still can. Counterspell could be interfering with the internal mechanisms of that special grenade you're using. And trust me, I'm about as unconcerned with fluff and such as it gets. But why bother removing a player's creativity for something that, in the end, won't really matter.

Rule number 1 of fluff should always be if its preventing creativity, change the fluff to suit your needs. Druids are fluffed to be nature lovers? Screw that, your Druid was a city boy that loved gardening. Never been on a nature hike once in his life.

That +1 shield is a shield? Screw it, make it an awesome cloak add-on that reinforces said cloak to be usable as a shield, provided you use it as such.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2020-08-07 at 03:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Again, what would the issue with that be? And believe me, I don't care about fluff. If there's not a mechanic behind something, I ignore it...but if the fluff is important to a player what does it matter? The +1 shield becomes a +1 glove/cloak/parrying dagger/whatever. The +1 can just come from a transmutation spell that allows the shield to take the shape the wielder wants.
    Because it 1) breaks the verisimilitude of the game and 2) messes with balance since it can allow someone to use a shield and a weapon without needing warcaster to cast spells and 3) requires extra work on the dms part to accommodate when it isn’t needed.

Its another example of players wanting to be catered to instead of you know, having to deal with checks and balances. It’s old, it’s tiring, and it should be curtailed.

Cause you know, god forbid the world isn’t changed around for your whims when you whine instead of just dealing with it. FFS If you don’t like how it looks ignore it when you picture your character. Simple- no need to change mechanics and fluff, since it’s all about how you visualize yourself in a game of imagination.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

A chemical compound that expands and hardens into dense foam around your hand and arm

A miniature potion shelf/tool rack strapped to hang off your shoulder

A broken old tool that was especially bulky and inefficient that you have since replaced

A failed invention that you are too sentimental to get rid of

‘Blessing in a bottle’ that makes a magical/alchemical barrier in front of you as long as you dramatically hold your hand up in front of you

The party’s cooking pot, because someone has to carry it
    Last edited by Kane0; 2020-08-07 at 04:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    Because it 1) breaks the verisimilitude of the game and 2) messes with balance since it can allow someone to use a shield and a weapon without needing warcaster to cast spells and 3) requires extra work on the dms part to accommodate when it isn’t needed.

Its another example of players wanting to be catered to instead of you know, having to deal with checks and balances. It’s old, it’s tiring, and it should be curtailed.

Cause you know, god forbid the world isn’t changed around for your whims when you whine instead of just dealing with it. FFS If you don’t like how it looks ignore it when you picture your character. Simple- no need to change mechanics and fluff, since it’s all about how you visualize yourself in a game of imagination.
    I tend to agree with this. Maybe work with the player to get a lessened version of something (similar to improvised weapon) but as a player I would in no way expect to get handed a magical "not a shield but functions as one". Once you reach a high level, maybe you can spend some good and craft one.. If you really hate shields then don't use one and forego the AC bonus. Any refluffed replacement is pretty much a gift from the DM imo. Thorin's oak branch did not give him a "plus 2". And he would never expect an "oak branch + 1".

My Moana character uses a paddling oar. I do not expect to ever find a Paddling Oar of Striking. I would just stop using a paddling oar and choose to use another weapon if I found something that was worth it to me.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by langal View Post
    My Moana character uses a paddling oar. I do not expect to ever find a Paddling Oar of Striking. I would just stop using a paddling oar and choose to use another weapon if I found something that was worth it to me.
    If you’re an artificer you could probably grind down a +1 weapon into +1 powder and sprinkle that on your oar though.

Or something
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    If you’re an artificer you could probably grind down a +1 weapon into +1 powder and sprinkle that on your oar though.

Or something
    LOL. She's going to look for Belle's dad to make something nice.

9. - Top - End - #39

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post

Or something
    Or just use an infusion to power up whatever you're using.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    Or just use an infusion to power up whatever you're using.
    Moana can sing but she is not wise in the ways of artificing. She does swing a mean paddling oar.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

A subdued version would be just using a buckler or some other small shield. 5E shields are a very generic category so technically a buckler works the same as a larger shield.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.