New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    ...he's already had chance after chance to turn back and he's turned down every single one, so I don't see why he'd act any differently this time.
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    As Right-Eye mentioned, he hasn't matured at all since he put on the cloak- he's the same angry kid making the same bad choices over and over. I think that's an important part of what his whole story is supposed to be about.
    I almost concur with the spoiler, but I do not agree that Redcloak is emotionally trapped by the cloak's magic such that he becomes a static character. He'd been wearing that cloak for a while before he made "The Choice" in SoD, so I get the idea that Rich does intend for Redcloak to have agency. And I also think that Rich intends for him to experience some character growth. (MiTD does char growth; MiTD is also a Team Evil member going back to SoD times). See comic 451 for one of Redcloak's "aha!" moments and a change of viewpoint.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-25 at 10:38 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That would give the moment he does change more impact, wouldn’t it? Besides, you have to build something up to tear it down.
    Don't you know Evil always triumphs in the middle??

I agree! Honestly, everyone is saying "Redcloak has had plenty of chances!" but that's the point -- it's going to take a lot for him to change his mind, or it wouldn't be as interesting a story.

I'm reminded of Gift Jeraff's old signature (just spent 20 min trying to find it, sadly couldn't) of a proposed change to the Tarquin fight at Girard's Rift:

Elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    Tarquin: ok

(Giant's response: "Damn it! Now I have to rewrite #917!")

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I can easily believe that Redcloak will die unredeemed, but the counterpoint of "he's Evil and has done so much crimes" against his cooperation with the order is somewhat of a hard sell.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Durkon also neglected to mention the important fact as to why he (and his entire race) specifically is/are interested in a peaceful resolution that doesn't involve destroying the world. The fact that if the gods follow through with destroying the world, most of his race will go to Hel.

Granted, it maybe a bad idea to tell RC that bit of information. I could see it motivating him to make Plan B his new Plan A. But, it would also illustrate exactly why RC should trust Durkon at least a little. The situation has forced Durkon to try and become allies with RC.

This also assumes RC would believe Durkon.
    My top question a DM should ask:
    "Why?"

So it isn't lost...MitD Turaglas Analysis

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Depends on how they got there. If they were summoned with one of the Summon Monster spells, that would be true. If they got there under their own power (or calling spells, like Gate), then they are Evil Outsiders, and we know what happens to Outsiders that die.
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    "In order to prepare authentic evil ethnic food, the kitchen here summons all of the seasonings directly from the Spice Rack of the Damned, in the Abyss. You know, Malevolent Basil, Thyme of Death, Cumin of 1000 Horrors, that sort of thing. Anyway, the rancid smell of the cooking attracts the roaches from the other side of the portal and then they get stuck here."

And then they just sort of start following Xykon around.

I'm not sure how that fits with the cosmological aspects, since they weren't summoned, but they tagged along with some other stuff that was.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mashlagoo1982 View Post
    Durkon also neglected to mention the important fact as to why he (and his entire race) specifically is/are interested in a peaceful resolution that doesn't involve destroying the world. The fact that if the gods follow through with destroying the world, most of his race will go to Hel.

Granted, it maybe a bad idea to tell RC that bit of information. I could see it motivating him to make Plan B his new Plan A. But, it would also illustrate exactly why RC should trust Durkon at least a little. The situation has forced Durkon to try and become allies with RC.

This also assumes RC would believe Durkon.
    I do wonder what the "I understand where you're coming from, my people have been oppressed too, here's an explanation of the Hel situation for Dwarves" angle would've gotten them if Durkon had committed more fully to it, rather than just alluded to it in passing. Possibly a higher-charisma character could make that personal appeal work.

Of course, it could also just reinforce Redcloak's opinion that The Gods don't care about them and he has to make them care. But it could give Durkon more credibility in Redcloak's eyes (potentially).

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Depends on how they got there. If they were summoned with one of the Summon Monster spells, that would be true. If they got there under their own power (or calling spells, like Gate), then they are Evil Outsiders, and we know what happens to Outsiders that die.
    This game really doesn’t make much sense, does it?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Random observation, but Minrah being very much on the front-lines of this fight pummelling a near-epic-level cleric when she's mid-level at best worries me greatly for when Thor's Might gets dispelled or wears off. She's by far the closer and less-well-defended target from where Redcloak is currently picking himself up of the proverbial mat.

A mid-level cleric/fighter and a high-level cleric versus a near-epic-level cleric and a seemingly high-level ranger/beastmistress (with the looming threat of high-epic-level lich intervention) does not strike me as a favourable or survivable situation without the rest of the Order making an entrance really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I'm reminded of Gift Jeraff's old signature (just spent 20 min trying to find it, sadly couldn't)
    That's because their current signature is still bragging about the lucky correct call about something minor that happened over 500 strips ago (or nearly half the comic).
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2020-08-25 at 11:31 AM.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

9. - Top - End - #309

Lizardfolk

Am I wrong for reading the roach stomp as a throwaway end-of-page gag rather than a critical moment in Jirixs character?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fyraltari View Post
    A strange game. The only winning move is not to enter the Material Plane.

How about a nice round of Go?
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    In this specific case, I think it's more that they keep changing it. (Also that they wanted "just have an outsider under your control for a single fight" and "bargain with an outsider for longer than a single fight" in the same game, and stealing two cakes is prone to side effects.)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I can easily believe that Redcloak will die unredeemed, but the counterpoint of "he's Evil and has done so much crimes" against his cooperation with the order is somewhat of a hard sell.
    So far, his cooperation sums up to zero, but I guess you're forecasting a change of viewpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Am I wrong for reading the roach stomp as a throwaway end-of-page gag rather than a critical moment in Jirixs character?
    You are not wrong.
    (I thought the best roach gag was Belkar using one to help cook the stew).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-25 at 01:06 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #313
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    So far, his cooperation sums up to zero, but I guess your forecasting a change of viewpoint. You are not wrong.
    (I thought the best roach gag was Belkar using one to help cook the stew).
    And I'd say that was pretty much the most useful they ever got (barring that one time when one of them helped the Monster unleash that earthquake).

14. - Top - End - #314

Miko also used one to light off her little IED.

And I figure the pantheons don't need to take a vote on what to do if somebody actually tries to get control of a rift. They probably had that vote worlds ago, and I'd bet several peelees of quatloos that it involves the phrase 'reboot everything'. Or as Belkar put it 'when in doubt, set it on fire'.

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Eh. Completely forgot about that one. Thanks.

And I figure the pantheons don't need to take a vote on what to do if somebody actually tries to get control of a rift. They probably had that vote worlds ago, and I'd bet several peelees of quatloos that it involves the phrase 'reboot everything'. Or as Belkar put it 'when in doubt, set it on fire'.
    Since as far as we know, the Dark One can only move Rifts because they have Gates around them and Gates are a fairly recent invention, I would not be quite as sure that such a vote has taken place, let alone resulted in something that is still in vigour.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

tongue Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

Could someone call fire department ?
    Maybe Ambulance too?
    There's a lot of burn in this strip.

Don't forget that hero's diplomacy tactic are the same as bugbear's one .

17. - Top - End - #317

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    Well, personally I don't see Redcloak's redemption as likely, but that's not because I have anything against goblins (heck, I'm like one of three people on this forum with a goblin avatar). It's more just because he's already had chance after chance to turn back and he's turned down every single one, so I don't see why he'd act any differently this time.

Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    As Right-Eye mentioned, he hasn't matured at all since he put on the cloak- he's the same angry kid making the same bad choices over and over. I think that's an important part of what his whole story is supposed to be about.
    I want to point out that the idea that Redcloak has turned down too many chances to turn back relies rather heavily on SoD content. Which doesn't mean it has no value at all but I think the main story is written in such a way that you don't need the supplementary material for it to make sense.

From the perspective of someone who's only read the main story this is the first time Redcloak has been given an alternative to The Plan, and the first time that it's shown just how invested he is in making The Plan succeed. I know that some people have argued that he could just have stayed behind to help build up Gobbotopia but I think Xykon made that unfeasible, especially since it's been mentioned that the main reason the hobgoblin army is still alive is because Xykon finds killing them less amusing than letting them take over Azure City and claim it for their own.

I guess my point is that I'd want those things to be mentioned in the main story before I'd give it as much weight as the stuff which happens in the main story, and what we've got so far is that Redcloak isn't going to be convinced the first time a dwarven cleric comes along and tells him that the gods are willing to negotiate. With, it has to be said, rather half-assed promises.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by realdrago View Post
    Could someone call fire department ?
    Maybe Ambulance too?
    There's a lot of burn in this strip.

Don't forget that hero's diplomacy tactic are the same as bugbear's one .
    "Spirited exchanging of ideas" is my party's first diplomatic tactic to most villains as well! Heaven help us if they discover the Enlarge/Reduce spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's my personal favorite use of the roaches as well!

19. - Top - End - #319

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    I want to point out that the idea that Redcloak has turned down too many chances to turn back relies rather heavily on SoD content. Which doesn't mean it has no value at all but I think the main story is written in such a way that you don't need the supplementary material for it to make sense.
    Personally, I do not subscribe to the whole idea of „he had chance after chance to turn back.” He had one actual shot at turning on Xykon,
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    and all he would have achieved through trying that would have been keeping his hands clean, while dooming himself and without even saving Right-Eye. (Disclaimer: needless to say, this makes his choice none the less acceptable morally.)

20. - Top - End - #320

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Personally, I do not subscribe to the whole idea of „he had chance after chance to turn back.” He had one actual shot at turning on Xykon,
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    and all he would have achieved through trying that would have been keeping his hands clean, while dooming himself and without even saving Right-Eye. (Disclaimer: needless to say, this makes his choice none the less acceptable morally.)
    That's also a fair point.

Personally I'm focusing on the approach that an argument has more weight if it can be presented to someone who only knows the main story without relying on spoilers and still be convincing.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    That's also a fair point.

Personally I'm focusing on the approach that an argument has more weight if it can be presented to someone who only knows the main story without relying on spoilers and still be convincing.
    I see. That's certainly a way of looking at things.
    (Also, at any rate, I wholeheartedly agree with „what we've got so far is that Redcloak isn't going to be convinced the first time a dwarven cleric comes along and tells him that the gods are willing to negotiate. With, it has to be said, rather half-assed promises.”)

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I don't think so. People are trying to read a lot into Jirix's motivation, but I think it's just a joke on the demon roach self-owning by saying Jirix can work without distractions, when the demon roach is itself a distraction.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Random observation, but Minrah being very much on the front-lines of this fight pummelling a near-epic-level cleric when she's mid-level at best worries me greatly for when Thor's Might gets dispelled or wears off. She's by far the closer and less-well-defended target from where Redcloak is currently picking himself up of the proverbial mat.

A mid-level cleric/fighter and a high-level cleric versus a near-epic-level cleric and a seemingly high-level ranger/beastmistress (with the looming threat of high-epic-level lich intervention) does not strike me as a favourable or survivable situation without the rest of the Order making an entrance really soon.

That's because their current signature is still bragging about the lucky correct call about something minor that happened over 500 strips ago (or nearly half the comic).
    She's holding mjolnir. (or close enough) Bound to have an effect. Also Redcloak has shown her zero attention so far. Hes trying to ignore her to focus on Durkon. If that changes tho...

24. - Top - End - #324

If, say, a level 25 fighter and a level 3 Paladin are fighting a level 27 barbarian in a pure brawl, and the barbarian dies, if feels like the contribution of the Paladin was negligible and so they shouldn’t earn XP.

If, however, the Paladin deliberately triggered a rockfall that squashed the barbarian like a bug then obviously the Paladin should get the credit (and XP) for that victory.
    It should not be about contribution, it should be about challenge

If a 2nd level fighter and a 17 level wizard fight a dozen goblins and the wizard kill them all with a spell, it should get 0 xps because for him that was a trivial encounter. For the same (but reversed) reason in your example the paladin should get a fair share of XPs, because even if he was unable to contribute he was still risking his life.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

25. - Top - End - #325

About Xykon, I was thinking, if the gods decide to unmake the world, what stop him from flying to his astral fortress/tomb and just wait here until they make a new one? And how is possible than in all the thousands of world nobody did the same? Or just went to one of the outer planes as Hilgya plans to do? Some of these world could have no access to the astral plane (i.e. no magic) but still it is weird.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    "In order to prepare authentic evil ethnic food, the kitchen here summons all of the seasonings directly from the Spice Rack of the Damned, in the Abyss. You know, Malevolent Basil, Thyme of Death, Cumin of 1000 Horrors, that sort of thing. Anyway, the rancid smell of the cooking attracts the roaches from the other side of the portal and then they get stuck here."

And then they just sort of start following Xykon around.

I'm not sure how that fits with the cosmological aspects, since they weren't summoned, but they tagged along with some other stuff that was.
    Yeah I think that means they wandered in through a Gate or something. They are there "in the Flesh" so to speak, so they would for real die.

Reality is complicated. When you get into making fictional magic rules and whole cosmologies, nerds like to hash out all the rules. WHich means as they are compared to 'real life', those rules tend to get complicated too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    A strange game. The only winning move is not to enter the Material Plane.
    Dying on thier own plane is just as bad for them really.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

27. - Top - End - #327

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    About Xykon, I was thinking, if the gods decide to unmake the world, what stop him from flying to his astral fortress/tomb and just wait here until they make a new one? And how is possible than in all the thousands of world nobody did the same? Or just went to one of the outer planes as Hilgya plans to do? Some of these world could have no access to the astral plane (i.e. no magic) but still it is weird.
    Given the fact that the gods are willing to wipe the minds of all the outsiders in between worlds and would rather nobody knew about the Snarl I'd guess that they don't react kindly to anyone trying that kind of thing.

Also the kind of immortality which actually lasts long enough to cover the timespan between worlds is most likely very rare, especially since the Snarl Cycle is keeping the power levels low. I'd guess we're talking about timespans which last long enough that even dragons who can easily live upwards of thousands of years don't make it.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Spamalot in the Playground

Random thought - it would be funny if Redcloak recognized Durkon from when he saw him before
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Come on, Redcloak, your display in panels 2 and 3 was just pathetic. You're a near-epic level full caster, and you're being dunked on by someone who's never cast Thor's Might before?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2020-08-25 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Oh, somebody has probably tried. But there's nothing keeping a deity from sending about two hundred creatures formerly tasked with answering mortal prayers to crush said offender.