New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Darths & Droids

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darths & Droids

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    I expect to see Jim continuing to play as Amidala and Annie continuing to play as Anakin Skywalker in the next arc. Of course, the characters will fall in love (or perhaps the players will start dating, since Jim is interested in Annie), so we'll get a romance story that involves two people playing opposite sex versions of themselves falling in love.

Oh yeah. It'll get weird.
    The weirdest IC relationship evolving because of OOC feelings I've ever seen is when these two people in my group a long time ago made two characters with the shared backstory that they were brother and sister, and as they started having a mutual crush, their characters got creepily close to one another.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    The weirdest IC relationship evolving because of OOC feelings I've ever seen is when these two people in my group a long time ago made two characters with the shared backstory that they were brother and sister, and as they started having a mutual crush, their characters got creepily close to one another.
    Their names weren't Jamie and Cersei by any chance?
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-01-04 at 01:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Their names weren't Jamie and Cersei by any chance?
    You misspelled Jaime.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Always good to have ASOIAF reference.

And that's just creepy

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Considering how much they tend to invert the original material, I think it's more likely that, while Annie will continue to play Anakin and Jim to play Amidala, they will absolutely loathe each other (or, at least, Anniekin will hate Jimdala).
    In that case, who will be Luke & Leias father? maybe Obi?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlich View Post
    In that case, who will be Luke & Leias father? maybe Obi?
    That's horrible. And amusing.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So... one down, five to go?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Interestingly, they still managed to squeeze far more strips out of this one movie than the DM of the Rings from the entire trilogy (just checked, 144 strips).

So... we can hope for another 1000 strips, maybe? Awesome!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #279

anyone remember what's the lost orb of thingamajig in the original movie?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    anyone remember what's the lost orb of thingamajig in the original movie?
    That glowy globe thing Boss Nass and Amidala held aloft at the end of the film. It was called the Peace Globe and was not actually featured or reffered to in the film at all outside of that one scene.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2009-01-14 at 09:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Colossus in the Playground

So, now we've seen the whole arc of the movie- good? I think so.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, definitely good, very much so, even.

It's strange though - I believe the DM of the Rings has made me laugh more often than Darths&Droids, and yet, I still find myself thinking that Darths&Droids is the superior comic. That's... weird.
    I believe it has much to do with me actually being able to sympathise with the DM and the players here, very much unlike in the case of the DM of the Rings.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    It's strange though - I believe the DM of the Rings has made me laugh more often than Darths&Droids, and yet, I still find myself thinking that Darths&Droids is the superior comic.
    I think it might have to do with the railroading.

In both comics, we know what we are going to see.
    However, in D&D, we really don't know what is going to happen. :)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie View Post
    In both comics, we know what we are going to see.
    However, in D&D, we really don't know what is going to happen. :)
    This. It's not even the railroading; DM of the Rings followed the plot of the movies pretty well, with exceptions taken as needed for the characters given. D+D, on the other hand, only really takes the images - the plot grew very divergent very quickly. It feels more original and more surprising.

That, and I read DM of the Rings after it was done, in one batch. It was good, and very satisfying to read like that, but it left me without needed to check the page constantly for one more update. The anticipation of reading it as it comes out is probably a big factor in liking D+D more, for me at least. I'm sure others have somewhat similar experiences.
    Spoiler
    Show
    TOE is from Riceboy and Order of Tales, two webcomics by Evan Dahm that can be found at http://riceboy.jho-tan.com/index.html. TOE is copyright Evan Dahm.

TOE avatar by me, my first use of Inkscape - suggestions to improve are always welcome.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hehehe

Best waylaid plans indeed!

Also: Kneel before Zod!
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2009-01-15 at 09:05 AM.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

That's a good point, Suicide Junkie and Deus_e_Machina. Hadn't thought about that.

Last strip: Heh. And my players wonder why I switched to almost pure improvising.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Think they'll find a player for Threepio?
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Probably... likely someone who plays the game only for the fights, and accordingly designs a droid-character optimised for pure battle, but plays with too much bravado and hence keeps ending up in pieces (fortunately, one of his racial traits keeps him from dying).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad they didn't go with that. The facial expressions are horrible for both the lines and the scene they're homaging, and it's not terribly funny to anyone who hasn't seen The Emperor's New Groove. (To the latter group: you should.)

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am one of the latter group, and I did find it funny - rivers and big waterfalls are so overused...
    But yeah, what they ultimately decided upon fit better.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #291

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    I'm glad they didn't go with that. The facial expressions are horrible for both the lines and the scene they're homaging, and it's not terribly funny to anyone who hasn't seen The Emperor's New Groove. (To the latter group: you should.)
    The impression I got was this was likely mocked up to make the update schedule. They probably had the script down but hadn't gone through to find the faces, and as they're spending their time planning Episode II they didn't put the usual standard of care in selection the shots.

(I haven't seen The Emperor's New Groove either. I stopped caring about non-Pixar Disney animated films after Mulan, which would have been a good enough film if you completely blanked out every single scene with the dragon spirit character in it. Note: it wasn't Eddy Murphy for voicing the character, it was that the damn film didn't need a annoying talking animal sidekick shoe horned in.)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

This comic is amazing.
    GM: You're in Theed, the capital of Naboo. It's a beautiful city of monumental architecture, with verdigris roofed stone buildings lining public squares filled with marble statuary.
    Obi-Wan: We head to the royal palace.
    GM: You're still in your bongo, on the river.
    Obi-Wan: Uh-oh.
    Qui-Gon: Don't tell me. We're about to go over a huge waterfall.
    Obi-Wan: Yep.
    Qui-Gon: Sharp rocks at the bottom?
    Obi-Wan: Most likely.
    Qui-Gon: Bring it on.
    Classic
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    (I haven't seen The Emperor's New Groove either. I stopped caring about non-Pixar Disney animated films after Mulan, which would have been a good enough film if you completely blanked out every single scene with the dragon spirit character in it. Note: it wasn't Eddy Murphy for voicing the character, it was that the damn film didn't need a annoying talking animal sidekick shoe horned in.)
    I can personally vouch for this one. Watch it, it's good. In fact, I'm going to watch it again sometime today.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think experessions were badly done, I thought they were perfect.

But I do agree that the strip shouldn't be used, when your entire strip is just a referance its a bad idea.

That said I completely support TigerHunter's vouch, past the first, beginning and only song the Emperor's New Groove was a series of really funny parodies of various tropes, basically the sort of thing this forum loves.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2009-01-20 at 10:44 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    I don't think experessions were badly done, I thought they were perfect.

But I do agree that the strip should have been used, when your entire strip is just a referance its a bad idea.

That said I completely support TigerHunter's vouch, past the first, beginning and only song the Emperor's New Groove was a series of really funny parodies of various tropes, basically the sort of thing this forum loves.
    Plus: Kronk. We all love Kronk.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So... two years have passed since the last campaign. How does everyone feel about that?

It should be interesting if the pattern continues through the whole saga. The timeskips would age Sally a lot...
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    So... two years have passed since the last campaign. How does everyone feel about that?
    Seems like a good move to breathe some new air into the whole thing. They can explain all kinds of stuff with that, from personality changes to people having forgotten details (or, even, fairly important stuff), thus allowing them to remodel the entire universe to set it up for a whole new series of jokes. I just hope they don't go overboard with that, but being the good writers they are, they likely won't.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    It should be interesting if the pattern continues through the whole saga. The timeskips would age Sally a lot...
    I just hope she doesn't lose her endearing personality over this aging.
    Or rather, I'm perfectly fine with her changing - this might, in fact, be necessary, so the comic doesn't suffer from 8-bit Theatre syndrome - but I hope she stays as endearing as she was.

Though, considering what a small role Jar-Jar plays in Episode 2 and 3, I fully expect her to say that Jar-Jar is not cool enough, or something like that, and decide to play a new character, within the next few strips.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-01-22 at 08:46 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

If so, who makes a good candidate- what characters in the movie are present enough?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If so, who makes a good candidate- what characters in the movie are present enough?
    I'm not sure, either. At which point exactly does Threepio join the rest of the main characters? He is decidedly a player character at the end of Attack of the Clones (what with participating in the final battle, albeit not on his original body), but I think he came in rather late, didn't he? If not for that, he would make a prime candidate - he participates so much in the latter movies, he is rather likely to be a player character, and considering how well Sally and Pete worked together in the first campaign, it would make sense for them to partner up like this. He could help her creating the character, even.

I should add that my hypothesis Sally will not want to play Jar-Jar anymore is greatly based on the assumption that there was not a ton of missing scenes where Jar-Jar participates that can be found on the DVD only - otherwise, she could keep playing him.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure I C3P0 (c what I did there?) will be a pc. I just sort of assumed Pete would pick himself up a lackey after getting annoyed that noone could understand what he was saying.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.