New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Jump as an Invocation?

Is there any issue with having the spell Jump (PHB 254) as an at will invocation, this would still cost your action? I have been playing a lot of Baldur's Gate 3 for the last few days, and I kept thinking it would be handy if that spell didn't cost a spell slot?

I personally don't see any issues with this, but I thought I would check if anyone else saw a problem?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Jump as an Invocation?

The Ring of Jumping lets you cast it at will as a bonus action and is an Uncommon magic item. Invocations are pretty premium, if I were to have one that involved Jump I'd want something else on top of it since it's kinda niche. Maybe bake in Longstrider at the same time?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't it already an invocation? What am I missing?

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Isn't it already an invocation? What am I missing?
    Derp your right but some jack ass made it a level 9 invocation? Seriously, WTH?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Derp your right but some jack ass made it a level 9 invocation? Seriously, WTH?
    Yeah it's not really an invocation you're taking unless you need it for flavor- I personally wouldn't take it even at level 2.

Unless I'm trying to make something akin to a Dragoon from Final Fantasy, I guess.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Is jump still the same in Baldurs Gate 3?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Boots of Striding and Springing

don't have to wait until level 9 for at will jump

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Jump ought to be an unrestricted invocation available at level 2; on top of that, it should be always-on rather than require an action or bonus action to cast.

People would still swap that out for levitate later, unless there is a strong thematic reason not to do so.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Derp your right but some jack made it a level 9 invocation? Seriously, WTH?
    My personal belief is that they made it level 9 before they finished writing the jumping rules. Evidence: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/04/11/__trashed-4/

Crawford calls at-will Jump "effectively a speed increase" at one point before backtracking and claiming he meant something else that makes no sense. I think the truth is that the Jump invocation was written back before jumping cost normal movement, so that it _was_ effectively a speed increase, and Crawford hadn't fully processed the implications, he was just going off a vague memory. (He should have just admitted that instead of making up bogus explanations after but oh well.)

Anyway, either lower the level or change Jump. Would be straightforward to say "every foot of movement you spend while jumping carries you three feet." That would make warlocks VERY mobile with this invocation, fully justifying the 9th level requirement.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-10-12 at 10:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BoxANT View Post
    Boots of Striding and Springing

don't have to wait until level 9 for at will jump
    True - but they do stack.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I mean, yes, it does stink as an invocation at first glance. "Jump? Really?"

But remember, it's at-will at all times. Not just when you are in combat. There's a reason that Fiendish Vigor, for example isn't looked at as "well you can gain 1d4+4 THP during battle", it's looked at as "You start every encounter with 8 THP" - it's understood that you'd just keep casting it, over and over again, until you got all 8 THP when you're out of combat.

Otherworldly Leap is similar - you aren't waiting to use your ACTION in INITIATIVE ORDER to use it - you're casting it all the damn time. You basically have Jump enchanting you at all times, because it's assumed that you're casting it on yourself every minute, maybe moreso, while you're not incapacitated.

Now, look again at the Jump rules - the rules rules, not the spell - that reference that both long and high jumping is based off one's Strength Score or Modifier (respectively). And guess what warlocks tend to have very little of? Strength. If it's not a dump stat it's usually close to being that. Yes, yes, there are those first-level-fighter warlocks and Barbarian-locks and Lockadins, but I'm talking just Warlocks. Even Hexblades, who have access to better-than-light-armor, typically eschew Strength.

So if you take a Warlock with a Str of, say, 10, and give it Jump and guess what you get? A Warlock that can long-jump their entire speed, or High jump HIGHER than the average thing with 20 Strength (because 0+3x3 is 9 ft, while 3+5 is a measly 8 ft). It's Otherworldly alright, with this blaster and/or blade-wielder soaring through the air with the greatest of ease. Chase them across rooftops, have them parkour the **** out of everything... because they're effectively flying. With the caveat of being able to do so in one direction, after moving 10 ft on the ground and having to land in between. God forbid they pick up the Athlete feat, making the jumps of otherworldlyness go even further.

Is it worth it all the time? No. It's very campaign specific. But, to be fair, so is Ascendant Step (at-will self-Levitate) and Master of Myriad Forms (that's the Alter Self at-will). If you're running across a city skyline, or going branch to branch in a dense canopy, Otherworldly Leap is suddenly incredibly useful. If you're worried about falling out of things, or have many, many walls to scale, Ascendant Step is more your jam.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    it's understood that you'd just keep casting it, over and over again, until you got all 8 THP when you're out of combat.

Otherworldly Leap is similar - you aren't waiting to use your ACTION in INITIATIVE ORDER to use it - you're casting it all the damn time. You basically have Jump enchanting you at all times, because it's assumed that you're casting it on yourself every minute, maybe moreso, while you're not incapacitated.
    I actually hate this'understanding' and never use it nor allow it to go unchallenged at my tables. Stopping whatever you're doing to take a few seconds to do something else every single minute is simply an absurd proposition. But I get other people are wedded to it so I don't argue the case online. I just wanted the alternative viewpoint out there.

So if you take a Warlock with a Str of, say, 10, and give it Jump and guess what you get? A Warlock that can long-jump their entire speed
    Not quite, because you need a 10 foot run up to get your max jump distance, which also comes out of your speed.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-10-13 at 02:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

This is why I get frustrated with the finer details of the movement rules sometimes. Tabaxi are supposed to be naturally skilled climbers and yet their natural climb ability is only 5 ft more than a human. Things that magically expand your jump abilities don't work how you think they would based on reading them because there's an inconsistent limiter on your jumping power. Seems like only monks and partially also barbarians will ever be able to RAW make use of any Jump spell or boots of springing/striding, as anyone else with a decent strength score will hit the wall of their movement speed limit.

I ignore that bit of RAW and don't limit jump height/distance on prior movement. I have yet to see a player abuse this at all, if it becomes a problem ever I can lean on RAW but honestly there's so much more for players to exploit I don't think people eking out some more distance from jumps to be tbe worst thing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    This is why I get frustrated with the finer details of the movement rules sometimes. Tabaxi are supposed to be naturally skilled climbers and yet their natural climb ability is only 5 ft more than a human. Things that magically expand your jump abilities don't work how you think they would based on reading them because there's an inconsistent limiter on your jumping power. Seems like only monks and partially also barbarians will ever be able to RAW make use of any Jump spell or boots of springing/striding, as anyone else with a decent strength score will hit the wall of their movement speed limit.

I ignore that bit of RAW and don't limit jump height/distance on prior movement. I have yet to see a player abuse this at all, if it becomes a problem ever I can lean on RAW but honestly there's so much more for players to exploit I don't think people eking out some more distance from jumps to be tbe worst thing.
    Dash is usually how to do it.

Str 10, speed 30, Jump spell = move 10, jump 20
    Str 10, speed 30+30 Dash, Jump spell = move 10, jump 30, move 20 (or jump again I suppose)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Not quite, because you need a 10 foot run up to get your max jump distance, which also comes out of your speed.
    Yes, all parts of jumping is part of the jumping process. Which is why I later mentioned that the Athlete Feat would reduce this even more.

That being said, your non-running standing long jump speed is still tripled, not just your high and running long jump speed. If you have a speed of 30 and a Str mod of +0, your standing long jump is 15 ft... So you can just hop twice for your entire speed without a 10 ft run.

Hippity hoppity, Eldritchy Blastity.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    This is why I get frustrated with the finer details of the movement rules sometimes. Tabaxi are supposed to be naturally skilled climbers and yet their natural climb ability is only 5 ft more than a human.
    As an amateur rock climber, in real world terms a 5' faster climbing speed is an immense advantage, especially on treacherous climbs.

If you move Otherworldly Leap to being much lower then 9th level you open the Invocation up to Monks stacking Otherworldly Leap with Step of the Wind.

(I once removed the level requirement from the Invocation and allowed both abilities to stack).

It was the only time I have seen a Monk/Warlock multi-class.....the party called the character "Iron Dome"...they were constantly jumping up and Stun Punching flying creatures out of the sky.

If you are OK with that, it is really fun to watch!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Satori01 View Post
    As an amateur rock climber, in real world terms a 5' faster climbing speed is an immense advantage, especially on treacherous climbs.

If you move Otherworldly Leap to being much lower then 9th level you open the Invocation up to Monks stacking Otherworldly Leap with Step of the Wind.

(I once removed the level requirement from the Invocation and allowed both abilities to stack).

It was the only time I have seen a Monk/Warlock multi-class.....the party called the character "Iron Dome"...they were constantly jumping up and Stun Punching flying creatures out of the sky.

If you are OK with that, it is really fun to watch!
    Fair enough, it just feels like a false selling point on tabaxi.

And I would be 100% okay with that, investing into a tough multiclass in order to do some really kickass moves. Our punch shall pierce the heavens!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Otherworldly Leap: *sadinvocationnoises*

I like the theory that it's an artifact from a time in play-testing where jumping was similar to teleport in that it didn't require movement but moved the character to the location jumped to.

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomeWizardGuy

I know of no player who has ever seriously considered taking the Jump invocation. In AL there is almost no need or use for it at all, unless you have a DM who is known for designing most rooms like parkour courses - then and only then can I think it'd be worth doing. In AL you can get a Broom of Flying at tier one (lvl 1 to 4) - it drops in several CCC modules. Boots of flying also drop.

Detect Magic at will could be useful, but there are frankly better uses for invo's - a non-warlock caster should be taking det magic.

The ones I almost always start w/ are Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight (because I'm often a variant human) - unless I'm a hexblade meleer, then I pick the melee combat ones - certainly the extra attack one at lvl 5 - might still pick dev sight and cheese darkness.

Can anyone think of a real use for Jump at Will? As others have said, you can get the ring of jumping. Boots of Striding and springing are mainly sought after because they allow you to wear hvy armor but ignore your low str, i.e. no mvmt rate penalty for non dwarves. Good for clerics who want plate but the build doesn't let them go to 15 str.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

If your jump exceeds your move, you can just do what 3e did: have the jump continue into the next round's movement. It's a little wonky to imagine the guy hanging in mid-air, but if you remember that he's not really paused when it's not his turn, anybody who attacks him in that time just caught him while he was jumping through that space.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Can anyone think of a real use for Jump at Will?
    Annoy your DM and delight your party by explaining how you need to dramatically leap at every possible pretext. So no, not really. At least not in a context that wouldn't be better served by one of many other tools at the warlocks' disposal.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The biggest advantage of Jump at-will (assuming no superior vertical movement options, including items that essentially do the same thing) is not having to waste a spell known or prepared on Jump, which I've never seen cast in 5e in the first place.

Edit: It would probably be more useful if it wasn't a self-only target. At least then it's a unique movement buff for the party as a whole.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-10-13 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    The biggest advantage of Jump at-will (assuming no superior vertical movement options, including items that essentially do the same thing) is not having to waste a spell known or prepared on Jump, which I've never seen cast in 5e in the first place.

Edit: It would probably be more useful if it wasn't a self-only target. At least then it's a unique movement buff for the party as a whole.
    I mean, if you've never seen jump cast in 5e, and it's thus a waste of a spell, why on earth would you waste an Invocation on it?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I mean, if you've never seen jump cast in 5e, and it's thus a waste of a spell, why on earth would you waste an Invocation on it?
    Kinda my point, but not exactly clear in text form now that I read it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If your jump exceeds your move, you can just do what 3e did: have the jump continue into the next round's movement. It's a little wonky to imagine the guy hanging in mid-air, but if you remember that he's not really paused when it's not his turn, anybody who attacks him in that time just caught him while he was jumping through that space.
    I know what you mean, but I'm not sure the rules support this (or otherwise), so it's something the DM would need to rule on?

Also creates weird cases like jump → end turn mid jump → your next turn → move in a different direction?

26. - Top - End - #26

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neorealist View Post
    Annoy your DM and delight your party by explaining how you need to dramatically leap at every possible pretext. So no, not really. At least not in a context that wouldn't be better served by one of many other tools at the warlocks' disposal.
    Heh, I think that's it!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    I know what you mean, but I'm not sure the rules support this (or otherwise), so it's something the DM would need to rule on?

Also creates weird cases like jump → end turn mid jump → your next turn → move in a different direction?
    I don’t know if 5e mentions how to handle jumping past your move distance at all. But yes, I was recommending a DM ruling or house rule solution. No reason to assume you can change directions mid-air just because you split the jump over multiple turns. I’d rule you must complete the jump.

The only place this gets weird is if your jump takes the movement of part of three or more turns; the idea that you can choose to dash or not while in mid-air and that will determine how fast you complete your jump is weird, but enough of a corner case that I think a DM call on a case-by-case basis is fine. Even a little inconsistency here probably won’t hurt anything.

28. - Top - End - #28

DwarfFighterGuy

Here's a challenge: Use your phone and set a 60 second countdown. Each time the alarm goes off, set a new 60 second countdown. Imagine that while the clock is counting down you can jump really far. Now, try to live your life and interact with friends, family and co-workers. Try to eat a meal, watch a show, raid a crack-house with the rest of the SWAT team, drive a car, buy milk.

It seems like a lot of effort to gain a benefit that is only occasionally beneficial. Also, you will appear to be INSANE with an obsessive compulsion.

-DF

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFighter View Post
    Here's a challenge: Use your phone and set a 60 second countdown. Each time the alarm goes off, set a new 60 second countdown. Imagine that while the clock is counting down you can jump really far. Now, try to live your life and interact with friends, family and co-workers. Try to eat a meal, watch a show, raid a crack-house with the rest of the SWAT team, drive a car, buy milk.

It seems like a lot of effort to gain a benefit that is only occasionally beneficial. Also, you will appear to be INSANE with an obsessive compulsion.

-DF
    It really depends on how big a distraction casting a spell is. If it's something you can do that's roughly akin to idly fiddling, you might do it intermittently so often that at any given point in time, your odds of having let it lapse are small. Think of it like a habit of fidgeting, or like eating popcorn at a movie theater, or humming to yourself, or even just playing with a fidget spinner or bao-ding balls.

Alternatively, if it is as distracting as having to get your phone out of your pocket (or off your belt clip, or whatever), and tell Siri or Google to reset the 1 minute timer, that's going to be distracting at the very least.

Sadly, when we really think about it, the latter is the more likely scenario, given that spells must be cast in a firm and clear voice, and gestures are at least problematic enough that they require a free hand (or a hand holding the material component), and jump does have all three (the material component is a grasshopper leg). Though Otherworldly Leap does obviate the need for the material component, so it's just saying something clearly and gesturing with a free hand every time you want to cast it.

In practice, I get the impression that D&D 5e expects rituals to be "at will" (just not during combat) and at will spells to be constantly up if the user wants them to be. In practice, stopping for 10 minutes while the wizard casts detect magic is a nuisance. One that would be put up with, given the stakes most of the time, but a nuisance. It certainly isn't something you'd do comfortably to keep, say, a phantom steed (let alone a party's worth of them) up at all times.

But I think, if we look back to the olden days of D&D, when dungeon crawling was done by "turns," we might see a way to at least reconcile the gameplay elements. A turn of dungeon crawling was, in fact, 10 minutes long. Each character could do one major dungeon-crawling activity in that time: search, move, or a few other things (disabling traps and picking locks). 3e made trap disabling and lockpicking doable in a matter of rounds (often 1). But if we returned to 10 minute turns, a carefully-exploring party could cover their "lead man's" movement distance (with him searching for traps, secret doors, etc.), and each other character could do a different task in that time. A single turn, then, is what it takes to cast a ritual! (Well, slightly more, but usually not enough more to worry about.)

I think I'm drifting of topic, here, though.

The point is, on the one hand, yes, you could fluff it such that it's just a sort of nervous tick to keep a spell up constantly. On the other, the way the rules present it don't make that fluff seem very likely.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFighter View Post

-DF
    Yeah, for something like Shillelagh if a player tried to play the "I always cast it" card, I'd roll a 1d10 to figure out how many rounds they had left on their current cast when combat began, and add a penalty to stealth checks every 1d10 rounds because they're casting a damn spell for no reason.

I wouldn't do this for the jump invocation because I would feel pity for the warlock that took it.