New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: IC - An Assassins Ambition - Earn 500k gold.

"I trust the client was more than satisfied with the job..." A statement rather than a question. The Lady was free of the damned wig and her pale blue mask was back on her face. The gossip she had spread about a "crazed and jealous half-orc woman" responsible for the crime hopefully would muddy the waters if anyone in authority actually gave a rancid fart about the death of a lout.

The Lady's mind turned towards the other targets in Mournstead. Assaulting either the thieves' den or the Governor's manor would need careful planning, but (in theory) the tutor might be the less harder target.

"The childrens' tutor would probably be easier to do reconnaissance on at least. Would she stay in the manor all the time? Does she run errands in town...visit friends or family? Getting her outside and away from the governor's protection is less risk to us, easier to pass as a random assault and robbery..."

If, however, the target did never leave the manor, then they would need somehow to get plans of the building, figure out where the tutor frequented, where the best exits were and how the guards patrolled (not to mention what, if anything, else lurked as security). And, more and more, the Lady was thinking her share of the first contract would probably go towards one of those Hats after all.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

When Dawn offers to trade the Bracers of Strength for the Belt, Zephyri happily unstraps and claps the bracers on instead. "Who needs exercise, when you can just dope up with these?" Zeph counts coins out of Dawn's share to make up the difference, sliding them into hers while the others are content with their triple-sized piles of coin and soon-to-be-liquidated loot, the Axe sitting proudly on top. She smiles at the Shapeshifter, "Shiny catch, Dox!"

Listening to Lady start the planning session, Zephyri muses on the next two as well. "We can trade shifts, watching over both of the next two targets? Keeps up our momentum," Zeph points at Aegis, "and one may have a better window of opportunity than the other. Always love to crash a party!" Zeph recalls her time at the target tavern, with nothing immediately jumping out to her. "I can certainly spend some more time at the Ants' apparent Tavern, keep an eye for any thieves' signals or signals or code words that might grant us access."

Leaning back, Zephyri grins at Lady. "For the tutor, we may want to see when and where she sneaks off with the Governor. I'd bet my pointy left ear she's getting some special treatment... and that our client isn't very happy with her husband right now." She winks, continuing, "They may even slip their personal guards for extra privacy, or just have a secret room where we can set a trap?"
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Trading the Belt and Bracers per OoC, taking the second-smallest share next to Dawn.

Plan (Tutor)

Zeph can disguise herself 1/day as someone else, to get inside / closer via a delivery service / cleaning service, or perhaps something a bit more involved if the guild has resources to get them a more inside look (Party catering? IDK). If she can overhear info on an upcoming event / repair that they can use as cover to infiltrate, that'll be useful

Inside, she'll focus on learning the exact whereabouts of the target's room, the guard stations, and the family quarters. If she sees the Tutor, she'll check if she's wearing the bonus necklace on her person.

From outside, she'll watch for guard patrols, daily schedules, who leaves and for how long (The mayor, the wife, the tutor, the children), and see if her assumption that the Wife put out the hit on the Tutor is correct (Is the tutor sleeping with the Husband? Is there tension between Wife and Tutor?) and see if there's any decent window where the family is out but the Tutor stays home.

Plan (Thieves' Guild)

Zeph can get by without disguising herself, just another Tavern she can drink in and play around. Inside, she'll want to watch for any notable behavior from the target (When / How does he usually slip away for guild business), any notable patrons (Guild Members, Guards), and any secret phrases to 'get inside' (She does speak Thieves Cant, as well as Drow Sign, so she's got a decent chance at picking up secret phrases to entry.)

From outside, she'll watch for back/secret entrances for guild members, lights for when the guild is active / meeting downstairs, and any delivery schedules (liquor / illicit goods) that we could use to infiltrate!

Plan (Overall Timeline)

I assume we staked out the last guy for two days, and just killed him on day 3/150 ? To save time, we should alternate stake-outs for these next two hits, since we'll need 3+ days to be comfortable that we know the daily routines. Zeph can alternate as needed with whoever else, her plans are vague.

If we aim these hits for the end of this week, we should have closed 3/10 jobs in 7/150 days, which is a solid start! We'll have to get to the Port city first (Bandit camp along the way?) to time the Sailor, then hit up the Capital on the way back to the Guild.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

after garnering the information and taking the time needed to adjust to the belt's magic, Dawn sets out stealthily towards teh mansion and the tutor target, stealthily going around the entirety of the property looking at all the walls, windows and doors. around the garden area looking at all the possible spots to ambush from. looking around the property for any other tall structures or trees that would give a line of sight towards the garden.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

--- During the division of the spoils ---

Blood Brother Varl steps into the room. His short stature does little to announce himself, but still, upon entering all members divvying up coins can sense his presence.

....Congratulations ...on ...your ...success. Each word is said along with an inhalation of breath, giving the phrase a gasping and wheezing quality.

...I...must...inform...you...that...your....associ ate....haram....will....no....longer....be...joini ng...you...He ...suffered...an...accident...on...his...way...hom e...from...your...misson.

...his...responsibilities...and...compensations... are...now...yours...

Barring questions the short figure turns to go, and as he does a wave of relief seems to leave with him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Will Save 22 or be shaken when Varl enters the room, the feeling dissipates when he leaves.

Spoiler: Flashback - Wren & Zeph
    Show

It is enjoyable to shift my shape to whatever suits me or is useful...but I find that I often am required to BE what is needed for a task rather than what I want to accomplish the task. I cannot tell you how often I have tried to be an Orc of charm, decorum and flattery at a gentlemen's club, using the same lines I would as an elf or human, and yet the result is mockery. If you wish to discuss stonework you'd best be a human, gnome or dwarf if you wish to make headway - try it as halfling or an elf and they laugh at for trying to "keep up". A shake of the head and grunt of frustration.

Wren's form today is that of a half-elf, likely an effeminate male, but without checking between the legs or asking you'd never know for sure. While talking, they reach across to take the bits of coin and exchange it for the monocle. I figured now that you lot are doing real jobs, that you'd be buying one of these, I don't mind the lack of work mind you but do stop by, you lot have been one of my favorites groups.

Spoiler: Flashback - Velska & Zeph
    Show
    Phosphorus, ammonia, a hint of dung and ash. The smell envelopes Zeph as she enters the laboratory shed, inside is a series of glassworks that must have cost a fortune. Despite the amount inside, it is organized and well secured, no flash or bottle was accidentally going to roll somewhere and fall. Velska had her back to the doorway, she appeared to be gesturing with her hands, & further inside you can see a shimmering wall of force, a cylinder sits in the middle of the lab, an circle of runes pulsating slightly outside the perimeter of the wall. Inside, the enclosure several flasks full of liquids are hovering, some pouring others being filled. Upon seeing Zeph thru some reflection, Velska ceases mixing the fluids, lowering them to the ground with a wave, before touching the runes. With a small hum the wall of force dissapates. Velska moves to manually lift the various bottle up and place them on a table.

Good evening Sanayd - I'm guessing one of your assignments went well, given that put in an order for more recreational uses of my time. She points to a wooden box on a counter near the door.

Dawn's Surveying

As fifth's day morning approaches, Dawn locates a towering obelisk colored white. The monument towers close to 30' tall, 4' wide and deep at the base, it extends upwards before joining into a small pyramid a foot or so from the top. The brick work provides easy hand holds, and upon ascension, shows that a good view of the Tutor's preferred spot is easiy visible from the obelisk. She'd be about 50' away hornizontally, but with 3 differing hedge rows interposing, slowing any direct pursuit. The hedges themselves might be traversable by a well balance & lightweight individual, as they are 10' high and form their own network of walls & paths.

Spoiler: OOC - Days of the Week
    Show
    OOC - Weeks have seven days, starting with "first's day (monday), working days end after fifth's day, with a day of rest (Saturday) then a day of renewal (Sunday). This all based off the religious aspects, but typically there is a 'weekend' in game, and today is "Friday"
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-10-16 at 03:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Flashback: Watch Duty

Watching the Governor's mansion, Zephyri sighs at Vibax. "Boring... How have we still not caught them sneaking off together?" Their shift had been going long, but she was grateful to have the young human around to watch her back. One less thing to worry about, letting her focus on the work.

Vibax puts a hand to his chin while his other wanders to his elbow. They stay there only a minute before beginning to wander again while he speaks. "Perhaps they're not together. Or not by choice, anyway. What if the governor is keeping her here against her will? Not especially likely given this place provides security and a lavish lifestyle, but perhaps there's more going on here than just what we can see from a distance. If we found out more maybe we could use it to our advantage."

"A good point... This could be more prison than paradise." Zeph smiles, reminiscing. "You guys did great on that last job, by the way! That was over much faster than we planned. Was it you that scared him, or just your smell?" Zeph jeers, sticking out her tongue. "It's off-putting for something so young to reek so much of death," she wrinkles her sensitive nose.

Vibax smirks as his hands gesticulate. It seems apparent from his face that being told he reeks of death isn't objectionable to him and has probably stoked his ego a bit to hear it from another assassin. "I've certainly claimed some souls for Verebaz. Though I prefer to accomplish my objectives without unnecessary violence whenever possible as violence draws undesirable attention. Undesirable attention often leads to more violence and in the end, there's a roll of the dice on whether that violence prematurely sends my soul to Verebaz, which is something I'd really rather avoid while there is still work to be done. Admittedly, when there must be violence I'm not going to deny myself the pleasure of it. Would you? Though, if you find my cologne unbecoming I will certainly take that under advisement." Vibax's tone shifts with the last sentence indicating an attempt at humor.

Zephyri laughs under her breath, "Death is inevitable, and the only way we get paid by out current employer. I do enjoy the work, but the bodies?" Zephyri squirms, making a face in his general direction. "I prefer the company of the living. Warm bodies, soft flesh, and all associated pleasures. If I wanted something dead, I can just start from there anyway... it takes longer for the stench to set in!"

"Gross. What do you take me for, a necrophile? Those I kill belong to Verebaz." Vibax's voice seems generally disgusted by the idea of attraction to corpses. "If Verebaz's will requires, I won't hesitate to conjure the dead, but it would absolutely blasphemous to use gifts from Verebaz for that kind of base purpose." After just a brief pause Vibax softly reiterates: "Gross."

Vibax seems to think for a moment a hand idly wandering up to scratch his head as he faces Zeph quizzically "Unless you're implying...?" his voice cracking slightly, giving an obvious reminder of just how young and, in some ways, inexperienced he is. His habit of speaking with his hands continues even as his tongue miraculously stops momentarily, his hand gesturing by pointing back and forth a couple of times between the two assassins as his face visibly flushes.

Zephyri shrugs, backing off. "Hey, far be it for me to judge. I know what I like, you've got you own thing going on, we all just try to enjoy what little time we've got here. Gods know we've more left than most." Zeph rolls back over on the roof, eying up the mansion again, lights slowly winking out. "Especially compared to this one."

Vibax seems to regain his composure, his face taking on a bit of a grim expression as he says simply "Verebaz's will be done. I wouldn't mind if she put up a bit more of a fight than the last one. I did enjoy that fool's blubbering though."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The Lady shrank away from Brother Varl's gaze suddenly, feeling her chest tightening all the while. Unconsciously, she tapped at the side of her mask, trying to reassure herself that it was still there. In the meantime, she tried to distract herself with the news that Haram had not returned.

They had not been asked to cause any "accident" of the man, so it was best not to press for details.

Instead, she tried to focus on the other targets in the city again. Either way, she wanted clear escape routes. A manor and a thieves' guildhouse would be tougher to get away from than a pub.

Show

Part of her recon will be finding the better escape routes for a getaway -- especially when it comes to the Ants. Hell, they probably have that potentially trapped for their own protection!

And afterwards, touch in with Wren about purchasing the Hat of Disguise and recharge costs for her wand of deep slumber. She's good for now, but once the team is on the move away from Mournstead, it's something she'll need to be concerned about.

Likewise, reminder here -- I'm MIA from the 20th-23rd.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Waiting until everyone was present Dawn goes over a plan for the tutor.
    First of all this should be done when the tutor is in the garden there is a spot some 50ft away that a shot can be had with nothing blocking, there are several hedges that one would need to traverse to get to her and that could be difficult so I have acquired some poisons htat will cause further damage to the tutors health potentially it alone could kill the tutor but we must be certain and need someone with excelent acrobatic skill to traverse those hedges rapidly once the shot has been taken.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Flashback
    Show
    When Blood-Brother Varl walks in with the news, Zephyr notices the others all pale at the man's presence. Her own neck prickles in excitement, hoping to one day be able to command a similar presence. She's going to have to keep an eye on that one. Two less mouths to feed... Just us girls and the boy, now!

After the session, she leaves to see Pei'la to continue working on kicking through that thrice-damned board... Half my size, and she always makes it look so simple! After some small progress, she starts brewing up more Drow Poison before going out with Vibax to the Stonepot Tavern. He's barely even of Age to be in there with me. I wonder how he'll handle his spirits?

Zephyri nods at Dawn, "Vibax and I did see that the Elf spends each evening in the garden, like clockwork. We didn't see any guards, so this sounds like a good opportunity!" Zeph smiles, before continuing "If you can get a clean shot, I can jump in and take care of the rest! Clean up any left-overs, grab the body and get out."

Zephyr thinks for a moment, before musing aloud, "But what about the amulet? If she has it on her, we're covered, but what if it's upstairs?" Zeph looks at the others, "If we split up, we can loot her room at the same time? Make it look like a run-away instead of a murder?" Zephyri flashes a mischievous smile.
    Show
    Working on learning Mountain Hammer strike (next level), to kick right through doors!

Plan:
    Support Dawn on the Tutor Mission (Sneak/Grapple/Grab'n'Go)
    Crafting two Drow Poison (OoC Rolls)

Plan the Tavern Job: Bluff an Infiltration w/ Lady(?) to get in melee range in basement, and help Lady kill erryone?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

okay I will need some help with a disguise to blend into the monument. As for the amulet yes split up, make entry and search the tutors area for it. sounds like the best plan

Edit

Once disguised and everyone gets into position dwan quietly sneaks around to the monolith and begins her silent climb hiding against the face to expose as little of herself to the target, reaching near the top drawing out her wand quietly uttering its incantations before drawing her bow and dipping an arrow in some very deadly poison seeing her target, in the most vulnerable of positions sitting there as the arrow flew through the air towards the targets exposed head/neck.
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-10-20 at 05:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The evening air was heavy with the residual heat of the day, despite this, Ilyana shivered. She had the uncomfortable feeling she was being watched.

The feeling had been present for the last few days, at first she'd thought one of the guards was leering at her, it wouldn't have been the first time, but she hadn't noticed any members of the patrols loitering, nor had her employers, Governor Golurnum or his wife been reviewing the lessons as they had during her first few weeks.

Besides even then the feeling hadn't been so ... invasive, pervading her thoughts and causing the goose flesh to ripple down her neck.

Relax, she thought. It won't due to get stressed a few months into such a prestigious position. Her fingers traced down her neck and feeling the light chain and the expanding form of the amulet against her bosom.

She closed her eyes, and took a slow deep breath, her elevated pulse slowed, and the raised hairs on her neck lowered....just as the arrow cut into her cheek, and struck the bone of her jaw.

Her body went limp head dropping to her chest, as blood flowed freely from her mouth. her hands sat loosely one across her chest, the other on her lap.

She might have been mistaken for napping in the warm evening air, if not for the crimson spilling from her mouth as though some kind of perverse fountain.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyri watches as the Tutor is knocked out instantly, sneaking over to check the body as it stains the earth. Feeling for a pulse, she finds that she's still alive, just knocked out. So much for something so simple. Why? Zeph's curiosity is still piqued, wondering what more there may be to this particular job.

Taking out a bandage, she quickly (but carefully!) wraps the targets face, covering both her mouth and the wound, to staunch the blood flow and keep the mage from speaking. We can take a little detour after getting out of here. Now, to get out here...
    Show
    Well, alrighty then! Our Sniper got it in one!

This Turn
    Swift Invisibility
    Move: Move to body, Move Silently: (1d20+13)[33]
    Standard: Use Heal, taking 10 for 15 to stabilize the dying

Plan:
    Escape with the body in the bag (10 min until suffocation)

Standard: Slide Tutor into the Bag of Holding
    Move: Get back into the Hedge maze

Then, teleporting out of the maze onto a nearby roof, jumping down into a nearby alley and merging into foor traffic

Later:
    Interrogate the Tutor for Story details, then dispose of her.
    Plan the Tavern Job: Bluff an Infiltration w/ Lady(?) to get in melee range in basement, and help Lady kill erryone?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Seeing her arrow strike true and her comrade taking care of the tutor, Dawn quietly climbs/slides down the monolith once at the bottom hides for a few moments to make certain no one heard her or her comrade looking out and listening for anything unusual. then after a minute quietly leaves the grounds of the mansion, taking several side streets and back alleys to make sure no one was following, before returning to the guild to where she undoubtedly knew her target would end up.
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-10-22 at 12:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vibax hides outside the garden compound and completely misses that the arrow was loosed, his inattentive nature getting the best of him. Vibax wrings his hands nervously, the need to keep his mouth closed for the sake of stealth filling him with anxious energy as the anticipation for the assassination built-up within him.

When is this thing even going to happen? Was there going to be a signal? I probably should've paid more attention.

He elects to take action to prepare further and casts Detect Magic as quietly as he can manage, knowing that the hedges are likely to block his vision. Then he fetches his wand of Detect Magic offering it to anyone who would like to use it before approaching.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-10-23 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyri gets clear of the mansion with the body, making her way back to the orchid with her usual flicker-change-flicker plan to hide her path. When she sees that noone is on her tail, she checks the body and finds that the poison has taken it's course, killing the tutor outright. With a shrug, Zeph cleans the body, finding the amulet (Score!) and leaving the rest to the Otyughs in the sewers below...

Arriving back at the Orchid, Zeph drops off the Amulet with Varl, enjoying his chilling company before swinging by Wren's to get those gloves she's had her eyes on all week. Wren had 'acquired' them just for her, clean record and all, and she loves the look and feel of the black leather on her skin. "I just adore these, Wren! You just have the best taste in gear." Sliding her Glaive into her glove, she checks on her potions before heading back to the Orchid's meeting room.

Sitting back around the table, Zeph shares what she knows about the Stonepot Tavern. "Vibax and I spent a few nights watching the tavern, and I caught some of their usual phrases for requesting a meeting with the boss. I can get us close, but they may need a little persuading to seal the deal..." Zeph nods at Lady, who spotted the office key."They've got a big inter-guild meeting coming up, so they may be on edge... but we could use that to our advantage, if we can find a good reason? As long as we can get into the back office, we can clean them out of their job requests for the extra purse!"
    Show
    Looting + Dumping the body, taking the Amulet and anything else of value

Buying the Gloves of the Master Strategist (OoC Approved) hiding her Glaive in Hammerspace

Plan:
    Plan the Tavern Job w/ Everyone:

Disguise, as a common thief archetype
    Infiltrate via bluffing on the Thieves Cant with her overheard snippets (25% / DC 16)
    Let Lady and/or Dawn cover if/when Zeph missteps in the attempt
    Murder in the office, clean out any files
    Sneak the body out via Bag of Holding ... 1 Hour timer to get it back to the Orchid

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"If we move during the inter-guild meeting, there should be enough other individuals there to assuage some suspicion off of us. Though it would be best to try to get our target alone in his office I think and I have an idea how we can do that."

Vibax clearly gets excited as he lays out his idea to the group. His excessively exaggerated hand gestures betraying his enjoyment in the act of plotting the demise of another.

"We take a small team, probably no more than two, to the halfling and convince him a faction has emerged within the guild under the leadership of another prominent member and they are hatching a plot against his life and we don't agree with that, but we don't know who all is spying for the other group so we need to speak him privately.

I'm sure we can find the name of another prominent member of the Thieves Guild without too much headache, and I know of a potion that can give anyone a tongue that spin illusions like drool made of silver.

Once we have him alone, we kill him. If he took us to the office, we ransack it. Otherwise one of our stealthiest should tail us so we can hand off any keys he might have on his person and then go ransack the office while we hide the evidence."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Stone Pot tavern was still bustling slightly, the evening crowd had come for the food & drink, then cycled out after a few hours. The namesake of the establishment sat bubbling behind the bar, an aging orc madam serving the contents into metal bowls then distributing them to the various barmaids, who cycled them out to customers.

The stew (as it was an evening meal) was thick with potatoes, carrots, onions and other assorted vegetables, the meat was pieces of beef and venison, rabbit and chicken and other assorted bits, but no rat. Olbira (the cook) always insisted that she'd use almost any meats, but dog, cat & rat would never be among them. One's for herdin', one's for vermin, and the last is to feed the pair, she'd always said.

There's about a dozen people remaining in the tavern, mainly two's and three's, each either at the bar or at a table, drinking and passing the time. A staircase leads to the rooms upstairs, while another descends to the cellar below. A dwarf with a rich brown hair and beard leans against a door at the back. He doesn't look particularly bored or focused, but he projects a presence into the room, the sign over his head says "Member's Only". A second door sits next to him, and leads out from this private area.

He's let a dozen or so folks in usually in groups of three or four, each time asking them varied questions prior to granting them access, their words are difficult to hear at any distance. The bells sound, signalling the tenth hour of following, the guards who had been drinking hastily stand, leaving a bag of coin on the table and shuffling off to their duties.

A lone figure sits in a corner booth, idly levitating a dagger with his finger, his eyes seem to shift from one patron to another, in an endless shifting sequence.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

As the bells sound, Zephyri waits for the guards to leave before entering the tavern with the others. Usually she would lock eyes and greet the barmaids that know her all too well, maybe swing into a seat at a table with some regulars. A glass or two, a game here and there... But she isn't her usual self tonight. Right now, she isn't Zephyri at all.

In the glamer of a nondescript human female, wearing the triple-band signal of 'rogue-for-hire' around her neck, Thelma enters politely but firmly, looking around not for a table but for something else. Finding the bouncer at the back door, she walks over with her group to bargain for access, with a patient but imperative tone quietly expressing her urgency.
    Show
    Glaive hidden in Glove's Hammerspace

Disguise Self, as Human Rogue (See Image)
    Disguise: (1d20+12)[15]

Look+Listen as she enters the Tavern
    Spot: (1d20+11)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[30]

Sizing Up the bouncer:
    Sense Motive: Taking 10 for 21

Attempting to use Thieves' Cant with the overheard secret codes...
    (Apparently this move to Bluff/Sense Motive in 3.5, and I missed it)

25% Chance, on a 4: (1d4)[2]

Bluff: Taking 10 for 20, either to Cant or to Convince that we need to discuss a threat with the Boss

I don't know if you have a script or if we want to RP this out, let me know!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The Lady had her own glamer activated, taking on the appearance of an older human woman of roguish intent. Someone whose "glory days" were probably far behind her. The benefit was that would hide her mask. Too much to keep track of in a disguise led to potential problems. Internally, she frowned. Again, subtlety wasn't something the Lady was an expert on -- she was more interested in terrorizing the target.

But this was a case that showing off as yourself wouldn't be a good idea.

Her own eyes scanned the room. The man levitating the dagger was on the top of her list of people to potentially watch out for if things went pear-shaped. Still, she kept her ears alert to assist Thelma with the Cant and their reason why they needed to see the boss if it was required (potion or not).

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+9)[29] Bluff (Aid Another)
    (1d20+7)[26] Listen
    (1d20+7)[13] Spot
    (1d20+7)[15] Sense Motive (dagger guy)
    Taking 10 on Disguise (for 14)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As "Thelma" approaches the dwarf stands, planting himself solidly. After hearing her give the password he smiles & looks her up and down.

Look love, you look the part, and you've got a correct password, but not THE correct password. What are ya? A noble lass looking for some fun? A merchant's daughter here to make a deal to save Daddy?

Or some stupid peasant bitch in over her head?
    He finished by crossing his arms, and starting up into her eyes. Then leans forward, beckoning her to bring her ear closer,

I haven't seen you in here before, but that's the password MEN give in the MORNING, so.... I'll give you three choices, first, you turn around, walk out those doors and I neverr see your face in here again. Second, I let you thru this door, but I ring the bell as you go in, meaning everyone in there will be ready to skin and loot you, then dump your corpse, or third, you can tell me what you were hoping to accomplish, and if I believe it & its to my benefit, you can pay the nonmember fee, and we'll go talk to whomever you came to see.

He stopped whispering as she stood back up, then his tight grin of importance changed to one of hormonal leering. I guess there's a fourth option, you go over to the bar keep, tell him Hilan sent ya, and go wait for me in my room upstairs. He patted his groin, I'll give a taste of the thieves life.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-11-06 at 08:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Thelma roll her eyes, annoyed and visibly a little put out.

"Alright, listen. This is not our usual family gathering." Thelma starts, implying she's from a different Thieves' guild... But she tried, right? "But, my best-friend's godfather is throwing a surprise party here soon, lots of distant relatives coming in from all over. I just need to run some things by him first. He's got a strong heart, but I worry one of the surprises may well be the death of him, if he isn't prepared for the shock." Thelma gets across that she knows about the upcoming inter-guild meeting being hosted here, and that there's a 'surprise' that threatens the leader's life.

"Last I heard he's hanging around back here. Charming old halfling, about four feet tall?" Thelma motions with both hands the number four and the height off the floor, emphasizing both the size and numerical name of Cedric Fourfinger, to let him know we know who he is, that he's in charge, and that we need to speak to him directly.
    Show
    Bluff: Taking another 10 for 50, with the Potion of Glibness from Vibax she quaffed in advance, on his suggestion!

Using Thieves' Cant to get across that we're from another guild, we know about the upcoming secret meeting, that Fourfinger is the local thieves' guild leader, and that we need to talk with him about an upcoming plot surrounding it that he should REALLY know about.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Dawn wandering in, noticing the interactions of the others and takes a seat near the door facing so she can keep an eye on the door , ordering a light mead

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vibax stalks up next to "Thelma" as if from nowhere and simply adds in a raspy whisper "It's truly quite urgent. And it's in your personal interest this message gets to the intended ears quickly."

Instead of thieves' cant, Vibax relies instead on bribery, lifting a small coin purse (50gp) and jingling it softly for the dwarven bouncer to see and hear while keeping the purse obfuscated from the tavern at large. Perhaps once the dwarf knows there's coin in it for him he'll let us pass. After all, you don't go into a life of thievery unless you want riches.

In that brief silence waiting and sizing up the dwarf's reaction Vibax thinks to himself I hope I this doesn't make me a mark to be stolen from.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-11-09 at 10:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hilan's lecherous smile has dimmed considerably, his eyes darting between Zeph. & Vibax, after several moments of hesitation he turns, rapping on the door twice before stepping out of the way and pushing it open. As he does, his hand passes swiftly over Vibax's hand, and depositing the pouch of coins in his pocket. An elvish head sticks out quickly, looking Zeph & Vibax up and down, before glancing at Hilan for instructions, "They say their concerned for the boss's health & have come to offer their advice. Take 'em back an' tell 'im I sent ya if he asks." Returning his gaze to the pair in front, he then lifts it to survey the tavern, "Boss doesn't want anyone to feel intimidated, you're free to bring one more if ya want to."

Show
    OOC - Dawn may join or remain at player choice/post.

The elf pulled her head back, whispering "follow me" in a lilting voice, she turned and after the group had passed through the doorway, proceeded towards the far wall.

The back room appears to be a combination gambling den, bar, library & mail room. The right wall holds a long bar with a dozen stools spaced equidistant, its similar to the one in the front room, though interestingly, these stools are fixed to the floors with the post embedded in the stone. About 2/3 are occupied, most pairs are facing each other and appear to be immersed in conversation. The center of the room is filled with various miniaturized tables housing card & dice games, though a few have other more exotic choices. About a dozen individuals are grouped around such a table, the other games forgotten for the moment, though such a grouping prevents you from seeing the details.

Three large tables sit against the left-side wall, though only 1 is occupied, 4 bulky cloaked figures watch as a gnome standing on the table uses a pointer to indicate certain points on a map pinned to the wall.

The back wall is split between a large booth and table on the right, while the left is a wall of mail cubbies behind a desk where a tall (8') emaciated figure stands. The woman guides you back towards the booth. The table is recessed into the wall & building, with an overhanging roof 6' above the table top.

At the table sits an aged half-ling, before him is a ornate set of weighing scales, 3 large glass beaker with a green, blue and clear liquid respectively, and a pile of coins nearly a foot tall, its contents appear to be a mix of coppers silver & golds, with a few shiny pieces of platinum.

The elf gestures for you all to sit at the table though she does indicate that you should sit on the opposite side of Cedric.

She then states - Sir, Hilan states these individuals have information for you regarding your health habits, and encourages you to listen to them. She then departs.

A few moments pass, the figure continues his work, he weighs coins of a like type 10 at a time, if the scale balances, he nods before placing them into one of 4 leather satchels hanging from the table, if they don't match he uses a set of tongs to lift the stack and dip them into the green liquid, which fizzes and releases an acrid smell every time he does this.

After dipping in the green he dunks them into the blue, then the clear, then back to the scales after a small shake to dislodge moisture. If they don't weigh correctly a second time, he drops them into a 5th satchel.

Show
    OOC - Checks to be made
    Spot - (x3)
    Listen - (x3)
    Knowledge Local - (x1)
    Knowledge Arcana - (x1)
    Knowledge Nature - (x1)
    Sense Motive (Assess Opponent) - (x2) - Cedric, Average Thug,
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-11-10 at 10:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

dawn picking up her mead follows the group in.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The thugs were an annoyance, should they be forced to fight in here. No real threat on their own, but enough of them that they would get in the way and hinder the Lady and her associates and either assist Cedric or hold them up while he tried to escape.

('Thelma' might -- might -- be able to convince them to aid us instead if we're lucky. Claim he set up the meeting to sell out everyone here. Risky though.)

Her nostrils crinkled at the acrid smell. Whatever it was, it probably wouldn't be pleasant to have splashed in one's face. If they could get the mark to lead them down to his office -- or, at the very least AWAY from prying eyes -- they might have a chance to dogpile him before he left the silence bubble.

And that task would be left to 'Thelma' to convince him of that...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Thelma follows the elf with the others, the outsider thief soaking in as much as she could as they walked through the back rooms. The tabled gnome is discussing an Augren mansion job of little interest, but a conversation at the bar tweaks her ears. We happen to know a thing or two about a disappearance at the Governor's mansion...

Arriving at the booth, Zeph's hidden faerie ears pick up on the distinctive muffle of a silence spell as she passes into the booth's recess, shaped as a bubble to keep sounds safely inside. Gods damn it... There goes our excuse that we need privacy for our discussion to not be overheard. Thelma glances around the booth, noting the buttons on the side before it dawns on her the booth itself is mobile! Ah, this whole area sinks into the ground... A panic room? An escape route? Visual privacy? We could target that last one...

Thelma takes her seat in the booth, watching Cedric count his coins in silence... Making them wait, a quiet power move to show that he's in charge. A familiar dance. Time to follow my steps... Seeing him chewing his own vice, Thelma produces a flask from her cloak, and a clear vial of brown powdered Vodare to tap into it. The sugared hot tea perfectly masks the bitter taste, giving her a welcome rush of confidence for the conversation ahead. This should relax him. A cautious thief, drinking from only her own flask, openly taking drugs... And should he know about Vodare's penchant for blunt honesty, a clear signal of her intent to tell the truth. Who lies on Vodare? Honestly?
    Show
    RP'ing the walk and Zephyrinque's successful checks <3

Taking Vodare:
    (1d4)[4] Hours: +2 Intimidate and +2 vs. Fear
    (2d4)[6] Hours: -4 Diplomacy and Bluff

The +30 Glibness should cover the intentional -4, for a total +26...
    Hopefully it lowers Cedric's guard (to her, anyway) intentionally taking a 'truth drug' right in front of him...

Plan
    Wait for everyone to get situated, and for the boss to initialise the conversation.

From there...

Zeph is just a fountain of blunt, seemingly honest lies, not solutions. Someone else is going to have to cover the Diplomacy piece

Maybe convince him to get us all alone in the recessed booth? Say that he needs to see something private?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

as dawn walks she attempts to slip some poison into her mead, then a few minutes later on spotting the target after others have talked she offers the target a drink to sooth them over somewhat.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Cedric pauses his work with dwindling pile of coins, to look at the mug offered by Dawn.

That is from the front room, and as such is likely filled with the watered down swill that Obira keeps on hand. My tastes are more refined, elvish wine, a gnomish brandy perhaps, then I might accept.

He continues working with coins in front of him as he talks, swiftly stacking, weighing and either depositing, or dipping thrice, weighing again, & then depositing.

Now then, as to my health, unless you are members of the church hear to offer me reincarnation, I highly doubt you're a hear as a magnanimous party, which means you're hear either to kill me, swindle me, or offer me a deal. Since you waited for me to speak, I doubt you're hear to sell something, even the most focused thief couldn't help trying to swipe a coin from this table, so that leads you away from being here to swindle me, which means you either want to kill me or you want to buy something from me.

He let his eyes pause on each of them, before returning his attention to the coin pile (it was almost gone now, only a hundred or so remained.)

For those of you without magical aptitude, there is a silence veil between us and the rest of the room. Feel free to speak plainly,

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Dawn finding a spot to dump the mead out (such as a plant or drain) and then walking to that and emptying the mug. saying nothing.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A bead of nervous sweat rolls down the side of Vibax's head as he watches Dawn's actions silently, as he literally holds his tongue still with his teeth. Despite his easily distracted nature, the number of potential enemies in the den had not gone unnoticed.

I used a lot of my last haul on that potion of Glibness. Zeph better use it well or we might be in a serious pinch. I really hope we don't end up fighting our way out.

Vibax waits anxiously for Zeph to initiate keeping to the plan of playing supporting role to his magically aided Fey ally.