New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: DrK Way of Wicked Take 2 IC

From where the party stands Oghash stares at the town for several long moments. "Should we go to the inn tonight? Stay there for now as we hunt for weaknesses?" she asks Ahkmathi and Stvari. As her gaze wanders she sees several buildings nearby, one in the woods (#18-20). "Tomorrow we could kill the owners of those buildings, take them and start working from there. Weaken the town that feeds the keep..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I think we should spend a night at the inn, gathering what info we can. The next day we can split efforts - get some intel on the keep while establishing a base of operations where screams from torture victims won't be heard too easily. I think the sound-proof room in #19 is best, though #20 would work well too. The empty warehouse could work, but will require more effort to keep our captives quiet.

Side note - I think anything property we "buy" or "rent" should be reimbursed when we brutally murder the reeve. We should also plan to collect all the potions from the alchemist, perhaps when we kill him to take #20 as ours. I'm less impressed with the blacksmith or general store, but some fires there would hinder the keep pretty well.

If the prostitutes at the inn can be made to talk (which I'm confident we can accomplish), I bet we get some good dirt on soldiers. Maybe even a way to sneak into the keep and start causing trouble. Collecting soldier's outfits and/or passwords should help too.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari generally agrees with Ahkmathi, prompting yet another introspective moment of bizarre appreciation for his rival brethren. "It won't take so much to impress them," he growls by way of dissent. "Give them a few hundred gold and they'll think us gods. Don't care for the rum, so they can keep that, too. I can carry the rest and put it to our purposes more directly." He watches the ship set sail once more with an unreadable deadpan. For the time being, he keeps his thoughts to himself.

"I'd appreciate a bed," Stvari grumbles. "One that doesn't float." He resumes the tromp into Aldencross, his broad shoulders stoically bearing an unreasonable burden of coin and bars and his features bearing a plainer, almost pleasant facade- notably free of any branding. Once more he carries his broad-bladed sword, disguised to appear as a Dwarven War axe. His spiked chain remains wrapped about his body, glamoured into simple chain mail.
    Spoiler: New apperance
    Show

He stomps into an inn, with help from the local if necessary, and lets down the bulging pack gently. Even so, it lands with noticeable heft and impact, turning more than a few heads. Smiling, he keeps his gaze locked on the innkeeper- business first. "We need a room- just one, but it needs three beds and a better than decent lock."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi Sek, Elven Conjurist

Ahkmathi nodded to the idea of going to the inn. "I have a few suggestions before we enter the town, however. First, choose images that we plan on discarding later, but remember it clearly. The first 'newcomers' should be low-born, common folk who will either blend in or be easily forgotten ... and easy enough to frame for any future suspicions.

Once we have a moment to plan, we will device a 'story' to accompany our next identities - likely a lower tiered nobility or merchant who can rent a house or room in other than the inn. With both identities - and countless others, to be honest - we should be able to gain access to both the higher echelon activities as well as baser ones we've heard rumored.

Second, let us initially keep our gold and goods as inconspicuous as possible, and our intentions should remain circumspect ... that is, we should use the first few days to a week to establish some amount of credibility and reason to be here, then we can move on to the rotting of Balentyne's core."

He paused for a moment as he considered his next statement - not from any fear, but to be precise.

"I also ask that we keep the murder in check for at least a few days. I am confident that in your eyes I am too civilized to appreciate violence in the way you do ... perhaps because I do not use a blade, perhaps because I do not share similar philosophies regarding dietary choices. Let me remind you that I walk the same dark path that you both do, and assure you that when the time comes, I shall ensure the violence we commit is as visceral and chilling as necessary, albeit my choices may be a tad more ... surgical and clinical in nature. But make no mistake - this town will scream and bleed and burn ... and we will watch it fall beneath the blades, claws and teeth of the beasts that wait outside the walls.

I promise, however, that before those monstrosities arrive, we shall paint our own tableau of murder and mayhem across this haven of sanctimonious sheep. I just ask that you wait until the time is right. Agreed?"

If agreed, Ahkmathi will assume the image of a weary traveler, perhaps an apothecary or herbalist of sorts - older, white haired, balding human.

OOC - Accompanying the others for not
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Str 10 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
    AC 13 (17) HP 26 Init +11 Move 30' / F +4 R +6 W +4
    Spoiler: Spells (4/3+1/2+1)
    Show
    0: detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand
    1: enlarge person, silent image, grease, color spray
    2: flaming sphere, bull's strength, euphoric cloud

Spoiler: Extracts
    Show
    (4/day)
    1: enlarge person, targeted bomb admixture, illusion of calm, EMPTY

Mutagen: 1/day (+2 Int/Wis/Chr for -2 Str/Dex/Con; lasts 30 min)
    Bombs: 6/7 per day, fire, +6 / 2d6+4)
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +15; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +14; History/Engineering +13; Geo/Nobility +12; Spellcraft +10; Craft Alchemy +10; Perception +8; D.Device +8; UMD +5
    Teleport (‘5): 7/7
    Effect: low-light vision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #484

NecromancerGuy

Several emotions flit across human-Oghash's face as Ahkmathi speaks, ranging from shame to anger to thoughtfulness and finally ending at resignation. "Ahkmathi, we know you serve the Dark Prince fully," she glances suspiciously at Stvari as she continues. "And neither doubt it. If you think that waiting is wise, I will wait. If we find a safe chance, though, we can start killing earlier, right?" she asks, with a childlike hope in her voice as she looks to the trusted, elder arcanist.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The mage smirked. "Of course. The hunter must eat, after all."

OOC - quick response
    Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Skills: Arcana/Planes +15; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +14; History/Engineering +13; Geo/Nobility +12; Spellcraft +10; Craft Alchemy +10; Perception +8; D.Device +8; UMD +5

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

In their disguises the doughty dwarven warrior, elderly man and tough looking woman head into the town following the road from the south curving along the southern road past several manors before reaching the large and imposing three storey inn "The Lords Dalliance". Entering the Inn its busy in the evening and the smell of fresh meat stew, warm fires and fresh ale and pipesmoke greets you as you enter. The packed throng of mostly townsfolk barely look up as you enter the common room, only a few glancing at you and then going back to heir drinks.

You can see a few folk with blue surcoats (soldiers) clearly off duty in one corner playing cards and near a small stage (currently unoccupied ) a table of ~8 tough and filthy looking dwarves are sat around a table drinking heavily and tearing into a rack of pork ribs as they cheer and jeer at each other in dwarven.

Heading towards a small table tucked in the far corner by the edge of the bar underneath the heavy stairs leading up you are intercepted bya fat man with a bowl like hair cut and growing bald spot. A greasy filthy apron around his stomach, straining against his gut marks him as likley the owner. He grins wearily, "Wlecome strangers to the Lords Dalliance, the finest Inn in Aldencross. How can I be of service, do you need food, drinks, lodgings? The Lords Dalliance can provide them all."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The 'old man' nodded, but before he answered Stvari spoke first. "We need a room- just one, but it needs three beds and a better than decent lock." Ahkmathi smiled thinly.
    "But we could use food and drink as well. Meat, cheese, bread, wine and ale, if you have them. "

He moved slowly to the table and took a seat with is back to the wall.

OOC - I think FB's response still works here.
    Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

8. - Top - End - #488

NecromancerGuy

Oghash bites her tongue most of the way to the inn, uncomfortable in the trappings of civilization but confident that her growling won't help. She waits for the others to answer the inn keeper, then decides to nod silently and usher the other two to their seats first. Before she sits she stares around the room, doing her best to play the part of guardian or protector and eying the various patrons and staff suspiciously.

When food is finally brought, she sits and begins eating vigorously, her ghoulish hunger (Oracular Curse) unsated by the meal in spite of her efforts. "This will be hard while I'm so hungry," she says quietly to her companions, "but I will be strong by our patron's grace. If my stomach growls, know the reason why..." She eats several more helpings before she gives up and stands grumpily up to look around.

"What passes for entertainment here?" she asks a passing server, probably a bit more roughly than best, but not trying to be rude. "Axe throwing contests? Arm wrestling? Or something else?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Both Diplomacy (for gather info) and Knowledge (Local) (for knowledge about humanoids, like the dwarves or locals) are at a -1: (1d20-1)[17].

Oghash will try to begin learning what she can, using her physical skills to try and win some games and make some new "friends," especially with the soldiers. While not likely their type, if any are attracted to her she will not rebuff them, instead planning a tryst that will result in her ripping their throats out somewhere in the woods...

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Bellam's eyes widen slight in dissaproval at the suggestion of the three strangers sharing a single room, before his fat cheerful bluster returns and he nods, "Aye, aye, one and all welcome here... pray tell, what brings you to fair Aldencross?" as he mutters he pulls out a key from his belt and for the princely sum of 8 silver marks (8sp) per day he offers the room, with full board a further 3 marks (3sp) each per person. The money pocket change from the wealth you have plundered from Odenkirk's boat.

As you are seated in a room and a serving boy (one who has the heavy set jowls of his father (Bellam) you wager) takes your bags up to the room thick bowls of stew are brought to the table but with the meat cooked and in sauce Oghash is left unsated and hungry! As she prowls the inn all of the party can hear talk from the soldiers' as they fancy themselves the Elite of the tower, Varning's Ranger as they are called under the command of Captain Ryan Varning, the youngest and most dynamic of the 4 Captains that serve under the Lord Commander. From the chatter about their patrols - mostly complaints about the boredom the knot realises that the patrol route is the same and that the rangers (Captain + 6 men) always camp at the rocky spire known locally as Freeman's rock, a rock spire overlooking Lake Tarik, and a site you all three remember from when you were dropped off by the Glorious Purpose the night before they return. That would be ~3 days from now....

Even as the soldiers talk and moan about having to patrol the next day the noise of the dwarves increases. The eldest of the dwarves, with a fine beard in thick plaits reaching almost to his knees approaches Stavri. "Greetings good fellow. I am Barnabus Eisenbauch of the Kraghammer clan. I am the lead engineer here for me and the lads just fixing up the tower. What brings you north and what clan do you hail from?" From the smell of his breath its clear that Barnabus has been drinking heavily and is swaying slightly on his feet, his men still chanting and jeering in dwarven as they play a dwarven variety of the card game "granite" - one that Stavri can faintly remember.

Its Ahmathi that notices the solitary Captain sitting in the corner looking miserable. Every now and then he takes a letter out of his pocket, reads it carefully ad then folds it carefully inot his belt pouch. The man, a youngish man in his early 30's with a noble bearing and square jaw wears his Captain's cloak with its 2 golden stars of rank although you guess this not Capt. Varning as the rangers seem to ignore him.

If you buy some drinks (i.e. spend 1d4 gps) you can each roll a 1d20 on the rumour table

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi sipped on his drink slowly, glancing around the inn as he did so. After a moment of reconnaissance, he murmured to the others, "Cheer up - looks like we'll get a chance to visit some calamity upon one of four in a few days. Best we secure lodging before hand. Also, I see another of these Captains over in the corner ... he looks miserable and is staring at a letter. I would hazard a guess he is forlorn over some female. Should I go talk to him, or should our resident female attend the fool? Just to chat for now ... maybe while our dwarven friend learns what he can from his brethren that approach."

The mage nodded towards the approaching dwarf, before waving to the waiter or barkeep and tossing down some gold on the counter. He smiled wanly and said, "I think the dwarves wanted another round of drinks for the bar with this... "

Then he moved to a place to sit and listen to the rumors flow

OOC - Ahkmathi will pay the drink tab, but pawn it off on the dwarves. He's avoiding names since they don't plan on using these disguises too much, but he still wants to avoid attention. Figure Stvari will engage the dwarves for a bit, and either Oghash or Ahk can chat up the sappy Cap'n.

Oh, and recommend we get eyes on the patrol route for when the current team returns ... then watch the others go out and try to intercept them as early as possible. it'll give us at least six days before anyone cares. Or we can wait to initiate that in concert with other activities.

Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Last edited by Starbin; 2022-01-10 at 01:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491

NecromancerGuy

Oghash nods along in agreement until Ahkmathi suggests her approaching the sulking captain. Then she suddenly stops, a look very much like fear on her face as she considers what he's asked her to do. However, she shows only the slightest hesitation/weakness before gulping, taking a long pull from the ale before her, and rising. "I've never done this before..." she mutters, barely loud enough for the two men to hear. "But with our Lord's blessing I will..."

First the disguised half-orc approaches the bar and orders two drinks. "What is he drinking?" she asks the bartender, gesturing with her head at the distressed captain in the corner. "Never mind - don't tell me. Just make us two and keep a tab open." Once she has the two drinks she walks over to him directly. She doesn't try to lay on the charm or appear too enticing, instead opting for the direct approach. Her illusionary appearance is attractive enough and she hopes the smile she wears looks welcoming. She stops at his table and takes a deep breath, obviously thinking through what she wants to say.

"You look down about something, soldier. I'm from out of town, so you don't know me, but I hate to see a man so upset that he sits and drinks alone. Here," she puts down one of the two mugs in front of him. "Let's drink together. If you like, you can tell me about that letter. If not, maybe I can just help you feel a bit better...you know, be a friendly ear..." Oghash takes a nearby, empty chair and pulls it across from the man, relaxing and taking a pull from her own mug. "Call me Sharon. People sometimes call me other things, but that's what I hope you'll call me. What's your name?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Oghash is trying to speak carefully and deliberately. She's thinking through what she says and taking her time to do it - maybe even speaking slow enough to suggest that Common isn't her first language (which technically it isn't). She's also trying not to outright lie too much, as she knows she's not too good at it.

I suspect that means this is a Diplomacy check, though if ruled that it's a Bluff it's the same modifier. (1d20-1)[18]. This does not include any circumstantial bonuses for bringing him a drink or anything.

I posted the first time in error because I screwed up the dice syntax. Scouts Honor - no cheating happening!

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

At the bar the fat man looks at the gold that Ahkmathi rolls across the bar top before nodding and sending what you'd guess is his daughter towards the doors with another two great pitchers of strong locally brewed stout. Baranabaus looks around from where he was quizzing Stavri and cheers with the men, the young girl points to Ahkmathi and the dwarves offer short (and rather unsteady) bows as they quaff more beer.

In the corner Sharon sits with the Forlon looking Captain, her sharp eyes just catching a brief glimpse of the letter, a My darling Kaitlyn.... the first line. The man himself, eyes bleary and red rimmed from either tears or drunk its hard to tell looks at her. "How can I help you, you don't look familiar. Are you newly come to Aldencross?" Taking a sip of the frothy nutty beer he offers her a salute. "Good evening, though it is not goof for me. I am Captain Zack Eddarly, I'm sure you will have heard of me?" (Oghash has not) "I am one of the 4 four Captains of the Tower, even though that is one too many..." he mutters, his hand tightening on the handle of the cup... As he talks he speaks of the duty at the watchtower, how lonley it is and how far from the grace and favour of the Capital. A hard posting for any nobility such as he or the lovely Kaitlyn Mott (the young, much younger than her husband, wife of Captain Franz Mott, the stern disciplinarian and second in command of the wtachtower). Both of whom are from actie families in court, not that the Lord Commander Havelyn isn't, just that the old man has retired to the Watchtower in honour whilst for the likes of young Eddarly or dour Mott its a place to justify a promotion. For Varning (and his awful rangers) as a commoner he's just lucky to be wearing Captains' stripes at all. During the course of the conversation he mentions him and Kaithlyn many times, clear even to Oghash/Sharon that he has feelings for the other Captain's wife....

13. - Top - End - #493

NecromancerGuy

Oghash/Sharon listens diligently to Captain Eddarly, nodding encouragingly and keeping the drink coming. "Tell me about your Kaitlyn, please. Is she pretty? What does she look like?" she asks, deliberately describing the other captain's wife as "your" to the distraught and unhappy man. "Is she here in Aldencross, or back home in the capital?"

As she listens Oghash barely touches her own beer, instead twirling her fingers through her own black hair and trying to look into the other man's face intently. She tries to keep it simple, but hopes that her intense interest will be exciting and pique his interest in her. If she's lucky, perhaps Kaitlyn looks a bit like her disguise...?

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Eddarly's face goes dreamy and a mixture of longing and anger as he considers Kaitlyn Mott. "She is a gem amongst dross, a flower amongst weeds and she is withering shackled to the fool Mott. It was an arranged marriage you see... his house was leser but had noble but she carries the title." He takes another long pull on the mead, the empty flagon joining many others on the table and then nods as Oghash waves the barmaid across with another round (though the barmaid looks less than impressed).

"She is just there, but out of reach..." he mutters pointing through the grimy window of bubbled glass towards the houses on further down the street. "But Mott is back from Balentyne, he is of duty for the next two nights.." he snarls. Every time he speaks of Kaitlyn, her upbringing, her love of poetry, her witty jokes and her extensive knowledge of fine wine he looks more and more forlorn and pats the crumpled papers he's folded and put into his pocket. Oghash relaises that the two must be lovers behind this fool Mott's back. Although Kaitlyn as described is a tall willowy blonde in her middle years - so not that much like a towering muscle bound orc (or the her existing disguise). She also realises that the an has no interest in her, bar a kind stranger with whom he is rather stupidly baring his soul.

"Do you like wine?" he asks suddenly, "Kaitlyn does, her family have vineyards in the south east of the country. but the fat man here, he has a most impressive wine cellar. I do not know where he gets it, and I swear he hides it downstairs somewhere as I've been down there and not seen them! But he has the good stuff, even it stretch's my Captain's salary."" he continues to speak of wine and Kaitlyn mumbling as his head dips lower and lower to the table.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari puts on his most winning smile and reaches out to clasp the heavy hand of the Kraghammer's lead engineer. "Well met, master Eisenbauch!" he booms, almost loud enough to come across mockingly. "My friends call me Falkirk, of the Dusklight clan. I'm afraid my journeys are no grand affairs of knowledge nor mastery; I'm simply a merchant today." He gestures broadly to his companions. "I'm traveling with yonder elder to ensure his safety in these wilder lands of the Northern kingdom. To be honest, I'm not sure the effort warrants the pay, but he was quite insistent, and I'm not so crass as to turn away an old man and his coin!" He laughs once more, this time more subdued (as if concerned for his companion's honor, perhaps), before gesturing to the other Dwarves.

"You and yours are repairing the tower? I'm no engineer, but I appreciate talk of such feats as much as any other red-blooded Dwarf!" He lowers his voice conspiratorially. "It must be bad if the humans will call upon our folks' expertise!" He stomps towards the table, accepting an invitation he considers implicit. "Deal me in, and I'll buy the next round!" he offers, boisterously.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There's nothing to do for it. Stvari's social skills are garbage. (1d20-4)[-1] diplomacy. I wrote the prose with intention of leaving it open to good or bad rolls.

16. - Top - End - #496

NecromancerGuy

Oghash/Sharon keeps listening and stringing along Captain Eddarly as a new idea occurs to her. Watching for the tell-tale signs of his approaching collapse into unconsciousness, the disguised half-orc decides she will "help him home" and take the letter from him when she can.

"This is more my taste than wine," she answers, holding up her mug seriously. "Let's have another round, for the road, before I help you get home. Don't want to give Captain Mott a reason to embarrass you before your lady-fair, do we?" she asks as she gets one more round and motions to the waitress that this will be their last - at least for now. "You said a fat man has a wine cellar? I'm new to town - who do you mean?"

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

As Stavri mentions his clan, the Dusklight clan, Master Eisenbauch freezes, and a hand twitches, reaching for his dagger before he controls himself. Red faced (with anger and drink) he glares at Stavri. "We have a blood feud with them scum..." he spits. And as he does so Stavri can see some of the engineers rising to their feet cracking their knuckles. "Move along, don't stay in the Inn. you sleep in a bush if you want but by morning f*** off." He adds stalking back to the table where he orders more whisky and occasionally turns to glare at Stavri....

(A negative diplomacy check doesn't make friends well)

On the other table Eddarly sways and dips his head before nodding to Oghash, "Aye, a good girl you are. Mott doesn't deserve Kaitlyn, she should be mine.." he slurs. At the mention of the fat man he points at the barman Bartirm, "Him, he has the best stuff in town, but won't even let look. Just want to pick out a nice bottle as a gift. Ungrateful cur..." there was more afterwards but again it runs to angry slurring. After a while and another few shots of rough local rum Eddarly seems very dunk and Oghash is able to help him sway to his feet to some disapproving looks from Varning's Rangers and stagger for the door where the barmaid is able to tell him where the Captain's house is. A coinvent Mitran flag hanging from the window helping guide Oghash towards the small two storey dwelling....

whats the plan when you get him home?

18. - Top - End - #498

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "We have a blood feud with them scum...Move along, don't stay in the Inn. you sleep in a bush if you want but by morning f*** off."
    Oghash notes the poor response Stvari receives, casually counting heads and considering who she'd have to kill to protect her companion, should it come to that. When the dwarves decide to sit down and let matters lie she makes eye contact with both of the other members of the knot to let them know that she's aware and returns to her mark...

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    What's the plan when you get him home?
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I can see so many effective ways for this to happen, so let's just go with some goals, in priority order:

1. Get incriminating letters or other evidence from Captain Eddarly and/or his house.
    2. Don't cause any significant problems with anyone (else) living there, unless it works out with #4.
    3. Take advantage of new opportunities to cause trouble as they are identified. If, for example, she finds no one there and can change her disguise so she looks like Kaitlyn, she could leave the house in a new disguise, making sure to be seen (exidence) that would lead to the discovery of the affair.
    4. Find an acceptable "meal" - if this can be made to look like a murder on the part of Captain Eddarly, even later, that would be fine.

Oghash/Sharon easily helps the drunkard to his feet, all but carrying him to the door. With a nod to the helpful barmaid she heads off in the direction of Eddarly's home, her mind doggedly working through ideas on how best to cause trouble, even if it isn't immediate. "Does anyone live with you, Captain? I can help you get settled for the night if you will let me use your key..." she says to the besotted fool, confident that she could take the key(s) by force if she needed. "Which way is Kaitlyn's home? Tell me how she looks again..."

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Oghash/Sharon helps the Captain back to his house and after he fails to unlock the door is easily able to unlock the door. Inside the house is neither neat onr tidy, with paintings of three regimental standards on one walls, a partially cleaned longsword with a jewelled hilt on the small dining table and a variety of uniform coats drying. A sofa in one corner is strewn with wolf furs and has a collection of empty bottles nearby. A silk hankerchief and a pair of silken unmentionables is wedge underneath the furs. As Eddarldy passed out on the sofa Oghash is easily able to grab the letters he was reading from his belt pouch.

Incriminating they are! With long and lurid (and not to say explicit) descriptions of Eddarly and Kaitlyn's trysts along with shocking denouncements of her husband Franz (Mott) these letters could be dangerous if they fell into the wrong hands....

20. - Top - End - #500

NecromancerGuy

Still in her original disguise, Oghash/Sharon snorts quietly to herself as she collects the letters. Looking around at the mess she smirks at the man and the evidence of his indiscretion littered about the place. "He has blessed my efforts..." she mutters prayerfully as she considers her options. In the dim light she walks over to the bejeweled sword and inspects it, intent on determining if it's enchanted or simply personalized. Either way she sits down, finishes cleaning it, and then puts it carefully in the nearby scabbard. Then she wraps the scabbard and blade in a bag, careful to fully hide it all from view as she gets ready to carry it back with her. "If this is magic we keep it. If not I'll drop it off with Kaitlyn," she growls, finishing with a nasally imitation of Eddarly's voice.

After looking around for a suitable hiding place, she decides to leave the frilly ladies undergarments somewhere she doubts Eddarly will find them - at the bottom of a pile of dirty clothing. "Then, with these here and the sword hidden at Kaitlyn's, their affair can be brought into the light. These letters will make it too easy. Maybe I could get Eddarly and Mott to duel first too..."

Before leaving Oghash concentrates on her iron circlet and causes her disguise to shift. She's not really sure how close she's gotten, but her approximation of Kaitlyn Mott is hopefully aided by the veil and cloak she's included. Hoping that anyone looking will see her and suspect she's Kaitlyn - but doesn't want to be recognized - Oghash slips out the back and around the building. Faking efforts to be stealthy, the now-willowy blonde woman hurries from shadow to shadow, deliberately going away from the inn and towards the Mott home. Once there Oghash/"Kaitlyn" ducks around to the back of the home where she swaps back to her original disguise. Then she sneaks around towards town center and makes her way to the inn again, her bundle in hand.

Nodding to the barmaid and walking past the dwarves at their table, Oghash/Sharon sits down beside Ahkmathi. "He's safe at home. I've got some gifts from him - can you see if this is enchanted? If not, I think he should give it to his 'lady-fair' instead of me." She hands Ahkmathi the collected letters. "She is, after all, married to another one of the keep's captains..." she says, careful to be sure Ahkmathi and Stvari hear her, but no one else. "If the sword is worth keeping, we keep it. If not, I can try to deliver to Kaitlyn's home and then we share the letters with Kaitlyn's husband. They might kill each other and do our work for us..."

With a sigh she looks at the dwarves and Stvari. "Maybe we leave town tomorrow, early...then we come back as someone else and try again tomorrow? We could fish for more trouble and Stvari can be from some other clan this time..."

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi doddered around the bar for a bit, letting his companions take care of business. However, when Oghash returned, he joined them at the table, noting the ugly glances from the other dwarves. Sighing, he listened to what information had been gathered, his mind racing to figure out a way ahead. "Well, the letters certainly provide an interesting opportunity. However, before we set the Captains against each other, perhaps better to keep the devils we know than the ones we don't. Perhaps this simpering fool would be a better fit for the captainship at the castle ... especially if the prize included the wife of his rival. Imagine a corrupted ally inside the keep.

I think we should use the patrol times to coincide with some of our more disruptive efforts ... but if we are able to remove another Captain and his men from the equation, right before we are ready to push the major parts of our plan forward, we would have less people to worry about. Likewise, infiltrating the dwarves might be worth the effort of undermining whatever engineering activities they are up to ... and possibly a way to learn any weaknesses the wall has. In the end, we can arrange for an accident that kills them all.

Finally, I think any insight we can gain on the ladies of the evening that I'm sure the soldiers visit would be valuable. There are ways to pass along contagious afflictions to several people ... and I could probably concoct a few choice beverages to help."

OOC - Just getting some thoughts down for now. Oh, and my rumor roll (1d20)[16]
    Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

As Oghash returns, the half orc knowing full well that half a dozen curtains had twitched and people had whispered to each other in the street as she run up the road from eddarly's house in full view of everyone esle before slipping down the alley behind Mott's house and transforming (using the circlet) back into herself. Reaching the pub Oghash can join Stavri and Ahkmathi and the slight tension in the room as the barman has moved a couple of other tables of guests between Stavri and the dwarves.

Stavri, although he failed to make in roads with the dwarves on a friendly nature has overheard an interesting tidbit. One of the drunken dwarves bellowing and complaining to Barnabus <<In dwarven) "How by the stones can we fix foundation Barnabus. The blueprints of the keep are wrong. Or the dumb longshanks have tried their own works. In the morn' we must go through the blueprints again and then start reinforcing the bridge o'er the canyon">>

Ahkmathi though has also been left chuckling as on the 3rd round of drinks the young barmaid had looked at him cautiously and then obviously deciding that he and Stavri looked like merchants had asked, "How do you be? We been hearing awful rumours up here, maybe's you know with what you coming from the South. We heard there was escapes from Brandescar and the Knights of Alerion are chasing all over? DId you hear owt like that from the south?" she asks, prattling on, as she speaks of more prosaic village matters and tsks' under her breath at the rowdy dwarves.

Anything esle this evening or heaidng to sleep /rest and heading out of town in the morning?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

At mention of the blood feud, Stvari raises his hands placatingly. "And and likelier than not by the right of it." As he takes a rough step backwards (hopefully respectfully), he grimaces. "Look, if me 'n my kin saw eye to eye, I'd be sleeping tight in the hold 'steada working for a pink skin half a thousand miles away, eh? Didn't mean no offense. If you want it, the next round's still on me, eh?" Without waiting for an answer, he tosses a gold crown at the barkeep and returns to his own table.

He grumbles into his own mug, seated so he isn't facing towards nor away from the other Dwarves. "Wouldn've minded making' allies, but if they'd rather be corpses..." he shrugs noncommittally at Ahkmathi. "Perhaps Sharon's having better luck..."

He nods to his devilish ally as she returns, surprisingly relieved to see her again. "Keep it simple, I figure. His bloodied blade and the other man dead might have Edderly thinking he actually did it."

24. - Top - End - #504

NecromancerGuy

Oghash listens closely to Ahkmathi's ideas and Stvari's thoughts, nodding as she considers the implications. In 'Sharon's' voice she quietly responds on their plans..."Eddarly lives alone - he'll be easy to handle when we're ready. I like using him too, but with our plans for the keep is this the right time for that? He's a drunkard, but I doubt he'd murder another captain so readily." She then explains her trip and what she did to spread rumors/evidence of the affair around town. "If my little walk tonight causes a duel, though, that would be easy...

(Regarding intercepting the patrol in the wilderness) I can have a picnic if we take the whole patrol at the right time!

(Consolingly to Stvari) The dwarves already seem upset with the humans at the keep. It might be easy to get them to give up and leave...

(About the "ladies of the night") If Eddarly is any clue, I'll bet the soldiers talk to the whores too - we could learn alot from them."

Spoiler: Rumor Check cause I forgot it before
    Show
    [roll0] - I assume this applies? Surely Oghash spent some coin on ale for Eddarly. How much should I remove from her inventory?

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

To the server

Ahkmathi nodded, sipping his drink. "We've heard much the same - tales of all manor of devil worshippers, mystics and cannibals slipping out from under the prison guards in a bloody swath. Murders all around the countryside, horrors in the night. But the authorities do not care for anyone spreading such stories. Rumors, they say. False reports, they say. Lies, they say."

Glancing around, Ahkmathi leaned in and whispered conspiratorially, "But I heard that those stories are true. That Brandescar has failed and evil walks the land. I heard the mighty Sir Balin, hunter of the dark hearted, has disappeared. Dark times, lady. All the more reason to live life to the fullest and enjoy the fruits it offers." He dropped two more coins with a wan smile before stepping away to join his companions.

With the group

Ahkmathi stroked his chin absently, before answering a few questions. Blackmail is always an option, thanks to our lady friend here. However, I still think temptation is the better tool. If the one Captain ends up impaled on Eddarly's blade, especially should the man not remember his drunken rage, we could manipulate that. More foul crimes than this have been done in the name of love ... " He trailed off before starting again.

"As for the patrol, we should time it to when we'll have the most time to create chaos here. But when we do, you shall eat your fill. As for the dwarves, I defer to your desires.
    I would prefer we learn enough to sabotage the fortress, but we benefit from their departure just as well. Killing them, however, might cause an issue later, but it could be something we take advantage later.

Is there anything else you wish to do tonight?"

OOC - Unless someone wants to ask about the hookers, I think I'm ready to press.
    Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Last edited by Starbin; 2022-02-03 at 05:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506

NecromancerGuy

Oghash/Sharon sits up straight and smiles in a decidedly - and unexpectedly - feminine way when Ahkmathi describes her as a 'lady friend.' When she realizes her action she scowls for a moment before shrugging and trying to fall back into the part of a focused (but not un-feminine) mercenary. "This is all very new to me, but exciting. How would we start to learn from the soldiers' whores? Will I need to try and play that part too...? I don't think I'd do that well..." she says, her voice trailing off uncertainly.

The disguised half-orc looks around the inn common room, trying to identify which of the women there might be engaged in the oldest trade. Once she thinks she's found the most attractive or popular one she points the woman out to the two men and asks, "What do you think? Do we pay her to work for us for a while and let her keep the extra coin as trade for their stories? Or try to turn her to our side in exchange for her life when this is all over?"

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

"Start simple," Stvari grumbles. "Mayhaps there will be time later for making new followers, but in the immediate that's more likely to cause problems."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stvari isn't the one to talk to them, either way. XD

28. - Top - End - #508

NecromancerGuy

Oghash/Sharon nods in agreement. "It's alot of work too, not worth it if its risky," she responds. "So we buy the whores' stories and go from there...Do I just go up to one with coin? Or will that work for another woman? This is all very confusing to me..."

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi held up a hand. "Easy, milady. We have a month to prepare. Let us take a couple days to gather information on the daily business of the town and find the best places to fit in for our new faces. Perhaps in two days time, we can meet the returning patrol and deal with them. When they do not return, the soldiers here will likely send a group out to check on them - another opportunity to reduce their numbers.

Then we can bring in our new faces as a merchant or noble with his guard and advisor or assistant, looking to establish trade. We might even be able to broker a deal with some locals to leverage more opportunities for chaos. I think our focus should be on eliminating key leadership, weakening the defenses, and sowing distrust and paranoia throughout the town.

And then the real bloodshed begins. But it requires patience ... "

OOC - So my recommendations for the next few days are as follows:
    - Next two days, we gather information (rumors, intel, scout the town, etc). Focus is on the military and civilian leaders, military fortifications, and town gossip. In particular we should find out how late the patrol can be before they send out a 'search' party
    - Ahkmathi will spend his evenings either scribing scrolls, transferring spells to his spell book, or brewing potions (or alternatively, he could buy them and save the effort). Looking for enlarge person, bull's strength and invisibility ones.
    - Two nights from now, we head out to Freeman's Rock to ambush the patrol out there. Kill 'em all, tie rocks to their ankels and sink 'em in the lake
    - Return to town and wait to see when a patrol goes out to check on them. While we wait, we should have our new identities first arrive in town; we can have our old identities depart back 'south' at some point ... visibly, of course, but clearly departing. (For the new faces, I suggest a noble/merchant, bodyguard and personal assistant / Chief of Staff, but totally open to alternative ideas)
    - Once we know the rescue party is headed out, we try and get ahead of them and set up an ambush at the Rock ... possibly using illusions and ghost sounds to make it seem like the old patrol is partying ...

Thoughts?

Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

What little remains of the evening passes quietly, only the dwarves causing trouble as they brawl a little. Chatter amongst the soliders and their whores reveals little more other than the 4 captains (that you knew alreadu) and that Commander Havelyn is generally a well regarded (if strict) leader who has earned much respect amongst the men. The Priest, Father Donnigan is loved by the men in the Tower and the villagers in Aldencross when he visit the shrine here (tended by the lowly Brother Justin of Travismere). The only other thing of note is that even the whores have been refusing the town alchemist Teryth Caldwin as he smells so strongly of what one of the whores drunkenly giggles "Embalming fluid to help keep it stiff"...

In the morning the Patrol of 6 soldiers and the noble and blond haired Captain Varning ride out on their route and from careful watching of the roads Ahkmathi, Stavri and Oghash can see Captain Mott and Eddalry both riding up towards the watch tower, the stiff and impressively mustached Mott well dressed and looking smart, Eddarly slightly haggard looking and worse for wear. Your view of the road from the bay window table well placed to watch the twon comings and goings whilst Alicia (The owner Bellam's wife) serves you fresh bread with freshly churned butter and honey from Timon's local meadery (his signature blackberry infused mead, a purple brew called Timon's black responsible for many a head ache!)

OOC

If you want make some Gather info / diplomacy rolls or you can chill out for two days and then go an ambushing
    THe patrol would have to be ~6 days late to spark notice as Varnig's longest patrol route is 10 days